Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2714 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation May 8, 2017, 11:11 mag

SpectralMeat wrote on May 8, 2017, 09:57:
"Xbox Boss"
I hate it when they call him that. Sounds so dumb.

When you defeat him, the entire Xbox collapses around you.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 4, 2017, 18:06 mag

Beamer wrote on May 4, 2017, 16:13:
Verno wrote on May 4, 2017, 16:10:
Dacote wrote on May 4, 2017, 13:59:
jdreyer wrote on May 4, 2017, 13:04:
AMD and Nvidia silicon manufacturing secrets allegedly stolen and sold to China.

Fckin China man.
It ain't China's fault.
Where there's a demand a supply will follow.
Maybe we'll get cheaper gpu's out of it.

What the fuck. It is most certainly China's fault and no one else is entitled to your IP just because they want it for free. I hope I am just misreading sarcasm here or something jesus fucking christ.

It isn't stealing because technically AMD and Nvidia didn't lose anything. Plus, those Chinese companies were probably planning to buy them, but wanted to test them out, first. They'll probably still buy it when AMD and Nvidia drop the price low enough, I mean, if Steam does a sale on those manufacturing secrets for, say, $5, the Chinese companies would be all over it, and therefore it's 100% ok.

Jonathan Swift would be proud.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: SpaceX satellites May 3, 2017, 23:35 mag

Creston wrote on May 3, 2017, 22:52:
I usually never go against Elon Musk, because the guy is really, REALLY fucking smart and even his craziest ideas somehow make their way into reality, but 4500 satellites? And then 7500 more??? Ignoring the fact that that's 3 (or like 9 with the 7500 extra) times the current amount of satellites in the entire sky world-wide, how on earth does he ever expect this to become cost-efficient??

By holding all of the other satellite owners hostage! Say, that's a nice TV uplink you've got there. It'd be a shame if someone were to collide with it.

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Roadmap
10. Re: Titanfall 2 Roadmap Apr 14, 2017, 16:56 mag

mag wrote on Apr 14, 2017, 16:55:
ledhead1969 wrote on Apr 14, 2017, 16:52:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 14, 2017, 15:54:
Hrm, co-op, I wonder if that'd really help the game long term. It'd bring in some people for sure, especially with a sale, but I doubt those people would transition to multiplayer PVP en masse.

No matter what they do, the problem is always going to be people getting utterly obliterated in multiplayer, because of the nature of the game. Relatively fast, vertical with wall running, and then you turn a corner and run into a giant ass mech. People play a couple matches and just uninstall.

^^ This. The campaign was fantastic, best of last year. I tried PVP once and uninstalled. I'm sure it is great but the above post pretty much sums it up.

My experience was that it took less than an hour of playing before I got competent enough to hang with the people I was matched with. Pretty low learning curve compared to a lot of PVP experiences I've had lately.

I should add: Compare Overwatch, which I find to be utterly unfun because of one-sided stompings.

9. Re: Titanfall 2 Roadmap Apr 14, 2017, 16:55 mag

ledhead1969 wrote on Apr 14, 2017, 16:52:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 14, 2017, 15:54:
Hrm, co-op, I wonder if that'd really help the game long term. It'd bring in some people for sure, especially with a sale, but I doubt those people would transition to multiplayer PVP en masse.

No matter what they do, the problem is always going to be people getting utterly obliterated in multiplayer, because of the nature of the game. Relatively fast, vertical with wall running, and then you turn a corner and run into a giant ass mech. People play a couple matches and just uninstall.

^^ This. The campaign was fantastic, best of last year. I tried PVP once and uninstalled. I'm sure it is great but the above post pretty much sums it up.

My experience was that it took less than an hour of playing before I got competent enough to hang with the people I was matched with. Pretty low learning curve compared to a lot of PVP experiences I've had lately.

4. Re: Titanfall 2 Roadmap Apr 14, 2017, 13:03 mag

ItBurn wrote on Apr 14, 2017, 10:42:
I somewhat respect the game. For a multiplayer game, it's intense, has a lot of features and there's no microtransaction BS(apparently). On the other hand, this is basically the first game re-released and also it's EA... What's stopping me from getting it is that it's always too pricey.

Origin had a big sale recently. I got Titanfall 2 and BF1 for $50 total I think. Feel pretty good about the deal.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 5, 2017, 00:54 mag

sdgundamx wrote on Apr 4, 2017, 20:45:
They could, for all we know, copy every fucking thing stored on the computer including emails, photos, web history, etc.

Pretty sure that that is actually exactly what they do.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Mar 30, 2017, 22:00 mag

Cutter wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 20:56:
Meh trailer. Terrible music. Is fuckface even working on the books anymore?

God damn, man.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 29, 2017, 21:34 mag

I feel like I should write apology/thank you letters to Wheeler for being way better than I expected. I'm pretty sure I probably said mean things about his appointment, but damn if he didn't do a good job.  

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
2. Re: Saturday Interviews Mar 25, 2017, 20:03 mag

Creston wrote on Mar 25, 2017, 17:06:
Cool article. Amazing that he turned down royalties on the games, thinking they wouldn't sell anything. That's probably cost him a sweet few million bucks...

Unlucky break for him, but what percentage of licensed properties actually make much money in royalties? Hard to tell when you've got a real success on your hands. Even after the Witcher I, which had really a lot of bad press at release due to how unpolished it was, I doubt anyone could've imagined what Witcher III turned out to be.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 18, 2017, 01:43 mag

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 19:30:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 13:55:
PlayStation 3 Production Ending Soon In Japan.

Didn't realize they were still making these. I guess it makes sense, since some people probably have extensive libraries they'd like to keep playing.

How soon before we see a PS3 emulator on PC?

PS3 emulator for PC: https://rpcs3.net/

Still a long way to go but they are making regular progress.

Well damn, they even have Demon's Souls sorta working. That's pretty amazing. I would've guessed at least a decade, too.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 10, 2017, 23:30 mag

SirKnight wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 22:36:
Oh AMD....LOL

I have NEVER needed a patch to allow my Intel CPU to work like it's supposed to.

As usual, more excuses and smoke-and-mirrors from team red.

What? You really don't remember the early days of Intel hyper threading, when CPU reviewers had to disable HT to get the 'proper' performance in games?

It's the same thing. New CPU, new way of hyperthreading, new bugs.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 6, 2017, 20:03 mag

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 19:57:
I used to be a huge fan of MPC, but went to VLC a while back and never looked back. Its interface might not be as polished, but not having to worry about dodgy CODEC packs more than made up for it.

Pretty sure the newer MPC-HC releases have pretty much killed the need to deal with codecs. I don't think I've done the codec-pack-shuffle in years, and I know I've reinstalled Windows a couple times since then...

News Comments > AMD Ryzen Reviews
52. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 2, 2017, 19:02 mag

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 18:52:
I'm confused by all these replies.. some saying its good, some saying intel still wins.

What's the actual story from just a video game stand point (ignore cost difference)? Intel is still king?

If current games and nothing else are your No. 1 top priority, and the games/resolution you play at are not GPU-bound, then going with an i7 or i5 and overclocking it will be faster than Ryzen.

If you're a streamer and don't run a separate machine for OBS, then you might want to consider Ryzen. It suffers much less of a performance hit for streaming, and that puts the 7700k and Ryzen right next to one another.

News Comments > LG VR HMD Specs
3. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Mar 1, 2017, 21:06 mag

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 20:55:
Yep interested to see how it compares, said will be priced similar to the others.

Rift also dropped $200 today.

They also mentioned they are working on next gen which they say is a big step forward. Wait for it... 2+ years out, these guys aren't consumer electronics enough, they are going to go with what they have today for at least that much longer.

Somehow LG is going to put out something with a bit higher rez, even though 110 fov is the same as the others, it has more horizontal rez, so that is interesting to ponder. If nothing else this is a nice little step forward. Rift not able to take steps like that? Not one little design tweak?

Windows Hololens stating they'll be cheaper.

This isn't coming out anytime soon. LG says they'll "announce" something by the end of the year. That's a long time for Oculus, HTC, and Razer to put together their next-gen hardware.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti This Month
47. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 1, 2017, 18:31 mag

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 17:52:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 14:37:

Sorry but I have to disagree with that comment. The difference between 2k and 4k is minor, especially so if your monitor is under 48". I bought a 4k monitor and guess what I run it at 2k all of the time on games. There are only a few games I can really tell the difference. So ask yourself do you really see that much difference between 2k and 4k or are you just being elitist?

Don't look at games: look at text rendering.

Maybe it's just a matter of continuing Windows fucker-y when it comes to HiDPI displays, and the differences are less apparent than they otherwise would be. What I can say is that whenever I go from my Retina MacBook Pro (15" 2880x1800 native resolution scaled to look like 1440x900) to the 27" 1080p monitor attached to my gaming PC, then my eyes begin to bleed the moment I look at text. Text looks like the printed word on the MBP; on the PC, text looks like a grid of pixels (a hi-res grid, but a grid nonetheless). Doubled pixel density, at least on the MBP, makes for a gorgeous display; while I don't have a 4k display, I would have to imagine that a 4k 27", with twice the pixel density of my current 1080p 27", would look similarly amazing.

I feel the exact opposite. I have a 27" 2560x1440 monitor on my Windows machine, and I would much rather read text on it than on my retina whatever work macbook. I did spend a while fiddling with the Windows text antialiasing settings to get what I wanted, but I do not enjoy the pixel doubling on the Mac.

(That said, I have another windows laptop with a HiDPI display, and that is way worse than the Mac. Windows scaling sucks.)

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Released
29. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Feb 28, 2017, 16:44 mag

Quinn wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 15:35:
mag wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 15:26:
VaranDragon wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 10:31:
60%

Ouch...this review actually goes a little deeper into detail on the game. And damn...it actually calls the game RPGLite....Double damn.

That's a bizarre critique. Planescape: Torment wasn't exactly super-mechanically-deep. Nearly no loot, extremely limited classes, etc.

People tend to overglorify nostalgic memories. That IS nostalgia. So take that plus lower standards 18 years ago, put it in a jar, send it to 2017 and what you have is a jar of disappointment. Get fucking real.

That's why Half Life 3 will suck unless a new technology is out there affordable for everyone that Gabe can make something innovative with. Off topic, but fuck it. Meet Half Life 3 anno 2024.

I didn't really mean it that way. P:Torment is, I think a game that holds up well even today. It wasn't about the mechanics even then (people tore its combat mechanics apart even at the time: that was not the focus of the game). The Infinity-lite engine was just a frame to prop up their great story.

So that's what the game was, even in the context of its time. It was a combat/loot/skill/stats-shallow framework that told a great story. This is supposed to be a successor to that type of game, and so far (a couple hours in) that looks exactly like what we've got.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 28, 2017, 15:27 mag

NetHead wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 08:37:
mag wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 18:39:
Ryzen's looking pretty hot. We'll find out for real tomorrow, I think...

Maybe not the best choice of words lol.

Ha! Fair. Well, the few power consumption stats I've seen have put them as consuming less power than equivalent Intel chips.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Released
24. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Feb 28, 2017, 15:26 mag

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 10:31:
60%

Ouch...this review actually goes a little deeper into detail on the game. And damn...it actually calls the game RPGLite....Double damn.

That's a bizarre critique. Planescape: Torment wasn't exactly super-mechanically-deep. Nearly no loot, extremely limited classes, etc.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 27, 2017, 18:39 mag

Ryzen's looking pretty hot. We'll find out for real tomorrow, I think...  

2714 Comments. 136 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo