Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2696 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Released
24. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Feb 28, 2017, 15:26 mag

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 10:31:
60%

Ouch...this review actually goes a little deeper into detail on the game. And damn...it actually calls the game RPGLite....Double damn.

That's a bizarre critique. Planescape: Torment wasn't exactly super-mechanically-deep. Nearly no loot, extremely limited classes, etc.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 27, 2017, 18:39 mag

Ryzen's looking pretty hot. We'll find out for real tomorrow, I think...  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Robots Feb 26, 2017, 15:04 mag

Creston wrote on Feb 26, 2017, 10:52:
I fortunately work in an area where automation really doesn't work, as it's heavily skill-based, but yeah, if I worked in ANY kind of manufacturing capacity, I would be highly concerned about losing my job.

And we know all the imbecile corporations will gladly make 95% of the workforce redundant if they could, and it wouldn't be until years later where they'd go "Wait. Why aren't we selling anything anymore??"

And the Universal Basic Income thing, sigh. Where is that money going to come from? An estimate I saw on CNBC for the US would put the cost of a UBI at 4 TRILLION dollars per year. So that's literally DOUBLE the current budget, which the government already can't finance to the tune of $1 billion+ shortages every single year.

"Well, we'll raise taxes!"

On who? The people who are still working? Good luck with that. If I stay working, but suddenly my taxes go up to 70%, guess what? I'm going to stop working, and just live off my UBI.

"Well, you shouldn't be able to live off your UBI!"

Okay. So then what do the 48% of people who will lose their jobs to robots do? Die? Steal?

"They should get part time jobs!"

Ah, yes. Because if robots have taken over all unskilled jobs, there will suddenly magically be enough part time jobs to employ 75 million people, and those jobs will... not be done by robots?

"They need to do entrepreneur things to make money!"

Because unskilled labor has always been exceedingly capable of that?

The only thing that would make this feasible is if we tax the shit out of corporations. And they would either just shift the price back onto the consumer, as usual, who can't afford a price increase to make up for 4 trillion dollars a year in tax income, because they're trying to get by off ~ 1500 bucks a month, or the corporations will do what they do now, and just evade taxes.

Sorry, UBI isn't going to work. No country in the world can afford it. Holland looked into UBIs in the 80s and realized that even with their absurd tax rate (33-50-60-70% tax brackets back then, and you very quickly wound up in the 50+ range) they would never get enough money to make it feasible, because PEOPLE WOULD STOP WORKING EVEN IF THEY COULD WORK. Nobody is going to work if it means that you have to hand over 80% of your income to the fucking government. (unless you make tens of millions of dollars.)

Time to come up with another idea, fellas.

You tax capital gains and the Owners, man. If we increase productivity but need half the workers, where do you think the profit is going? Those are the people that you tax. It's not going to the remaining middle class workers, it's going to the top .01%. We're going to have to go back to marginal tax rates of 80-90% on the multibillionaires.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 23, 2017, 18:55 mag

panbient wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 17:51:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 12:25:
Meaning a malicious site/tracking pixel can read out all TLS encoded sites you visited

So finally time to ditch Firefox and get Chrome? Or is there a better browser for Win10?

I've been noticing FF getting more and more bloated over the last few months. Just flipping between tabs tends to be an exercise in patience now.

I've noticed lately that Chrome, if left running for a few hours, will be using 2.5GB for just its GPU process. And then another 500MB for AB+. And then however much more for various tabs.

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: etc., etc. Feb 22, 2017, 08:52 mag

Brad L wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 21:58:
I noticed one reason they want to move is that she is an American Indian. I wonder if she knows about the Trail of Tears and what party was responsible for that.

1) Donald Trump is not the friend of Republicans. He is using you, but he is weak and ineffective so the Republican establishment, billionaire oligarchy, and Putin are fighting over who gets to use him. You can not view his presidency along party lines. Your guy won, Republicans control Congress, etc--it's safe for you to criticize him now.

2) Today's political parties' ideologies don't even reflect where they were in 1970, much less where they were in the 1830s (or 1850s, in the Republicans' case). Democrats can't lay claim to Jackson's Democratic party (thank god) any more than Republicans can lay claim to Lincoln.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 15, 2017, 21:11 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 20:43:
US wants to force you to give your passwords and internet history up to gain a visa now. So if you ever clicked on a wikileaks link you are right out, if you ever called trump a "orange trumpet" you are out. If you ever laughed at this tiny baby hands, you are out. Also I dunno if the US even knows this, but in Germany internet history is "only" saved 10 weeks (and even that is constantly fought), so this would stop ZERO terrorists who know about it.

I mean, every nation can do whatever the hell it wants. But at some point you stop being an actual nation anyone will ever want to visit. Not that anyone would want it with a orange hamster in charge.

I work in a field with a lot of people on student visas, working their way through graduate school, etc. In the past, the goal has tended to be: get a job in the US after school. They like it here!

And three people told me in the past couple of days that when they graduate (soon), they're going to be focusing on Canada and Australia instead. They don't feel welcome anymore, and they think the damage Trump does to the view of immigrants is going to far outlast his (hopefully short) reign.

These are people we want here. Smart, highly-educated, motivated, in demand, with intention to settle permanently. And we're chasing them off.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: hyperbole much Feb 2, 2017, 23:33 mag

Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 10:46:
"nightmare inducing"?? it looks like a segway crossed with a coat rack

got some really pathetic chickenshits out there, i guess

It looks like a Wheeler from Return to Oz. Those were pretty traumatizing to five-year-old me...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 31, 2017, 16:33 mag

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 14:50:
Verno wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 13:17:
The PS4 has a ton of cool exclusives though and even moreso if you love Japanese games. You can pickup a Slim bundle at a decent sale price sometimes too. My PS4 gets a ton of play time now.

Yeah, I'm currently eyeing a PS4 pro. Might as well get the beefier one if I'm gonna get one, yeah? There's a lot of exclusives for it that I want to play, and a lot of them are bargain bin pricing now. The Order 1776, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted 4, Odin Sphere (now in HD!), The Last Guardian...there's more but can't recall off the top of my head. There's a few upcoming ones as well, I'm a sucker for God of War games.

Bloodborne!

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Patch; Sale
1. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Patch; Sale Jan 26, 2017, 18:55 mag

How is GalCiv III these days? Anyone play it? How's it compare to GalCiv II, Stellaris, the new MOO, etc?  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 1, 2017, 14:52 mag

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 14:45:
Maybe because Android never exploded.

Yeah, why would I abandon a Motorola-made phone for Apple because a Samsung phone exploded?

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
11. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 10, 2016, 20:35 mag

Timmeh wrote on Dec 10, 2016, 18:54:
There was zero evidence for hacking by the russians. The report says exactly that.

There was tons of illegal votes perpetrated by the democrats. That is also a fact. If you recounted liberal counties where there are sanctuary cities or where they have passed laws making it impossible and even illegal to verify you can legally vote..... well lets say more than 10% would vet thrown out. A lot more in some places.

Even in detroit they had begun to encounter massive voter fraud by the dems. One box of votes was counted 6 times as one example.

Buddy, you got played so hard, and we're all going to pay for it. Your team's letter might be by his name, but Trump is not on your side.

News Comments > AMD Crimson ReLive Edition Drivers
3. Re: AMD Crimson ReLive Edition Drivers Dec 8, 2016, 17:46 mag

I've always had a soft spot for AMD, but Jesus Christ. Worst marketing team in the world. All of the rebranding of their software, the rebadging of processors, the inconsistency of their naming gen to gen...  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
8. Re: New GeForce Drivers Dec 5, 2016, 23:28 mag

Frijoles wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 22:49:
mag wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 21:46:
These hardlocked my computer (GTX 1080) during the install process.

Shiiiiiit. Getting my Touch tomorrow. Would install this, but.. yeah. I'm a little WTF also wondering how this applies to controllers.

For what it's worth, after I power-cycled it booted up fine with the new drivers installed. But not really promising, right? Haha.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
3. Re: New GeForce Drivers Dec 5, 2016, 21:46 mag

Emton wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 21:19:
Will this shit crash my computer or should I keep using months old nvidia drivers...

These hardlocked my computer (GTX 1080) during the install process.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
13. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Nov 12, 2016, 17:21 mag

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 16:22:
This will be interesting to watch exactly how all this plays out.

Interesting in the (apocryphal) ancient Chinese curse sense.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2016, 16:42 mag

BobBob wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 15:20:
Dacote wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 14:45:
BobBob wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 14:24:
Watching protests on the news. I find the popular vote argument questionable. Are the popular vote excess #s based on states he won or she won? For instance, imagine each state has 2 small buckets (one red, one blue) and a large bucket which both small buckets pour into when they cease filling up. Once the large bucket is filled up, one color dominates and that sets the electoral vote for a state - meaning if a state turns turns red or blue. Popular vote matters because we measure the spill over of the large buckets. The big question - is the 'blue' popular vote - spill over - coming from both red and blue states or is it primarily coming from blue states? The question is important because I believe it can clarify or demystify state level cultural divides, the validity of electoral college vs popular vote, and help us understand fundamental differences in regional representations.
Not sure i understand your question, but if you google 2016 election results it has a nice interactive chart and you can look at individual states.

Is her popular vote win exclusively blue states or also red states?

Nevada is probably the closest thing to a red state that she won.

News Comments > Candle Released
2. Re: Candle Released Nov 12, 2016, 02:03 mag

Ozmodan wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 23:27:
Gouge your customers much, you have to pay extra for the sound track?

Another publisher to put on my must avoid list.

It's not like the game is coming without music. But it's been pretty typical for indie-games to have the soundtrack as a downloadable album for an additional $5-10, laterly.

News Comments > Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Released
6. Re: Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Released Nov 11, 2016, 01:33 mag

Numinar wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 01:28:
mag wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 23:47:
Anyone tried this out yet, though?

Ashes in the beta was... underwhelming. But there was an inkling of promise.

It looks and runs marvelously but the units and game-play just don't have the character of TA/Supcom. Hovering is boring, even if it probably does make more sense in an energy rich future. We want walkers/tracked vehicles! And the strategic/resource layout which worked so well for sins feels kind of lame on a terrestrial RTS.

A new sins game would be something. Sins is still amazing as is but a good 64 bit DX12/Vulkan engined sequel would be magnificent.

Bummer, but thanks. That was my impression in the beta (except that it even ran terribly back then), so I refunded it and hadn't tried it since. Guess I'll continue abstaining.

I love TA/SupCom and even Sins, but this just was not scratching the itch at all.

News Comments > Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Released
4. Re: Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Released Nov 10, 2016, 23:47 mag

Anyone tried this out yet, though?

Ashes in the beta was... underwhelming. But there was an inkling of promise.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 9, 2016, 22:25 mag

Muscular Beaver wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 21:53:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 21:37:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 20:53:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 19:40:
Russian Hackers Will Try to Impact More Elections After Trump's Win.

Lovely.
Haha, yeah, since its the bad Russians who are to blame, instead of the people exposed in those hacks.
If we, as so called democratic and free countries, need god damn Russians (!!!) to get the truth to the public, the problem is our system.

Killing the messenger has become trend again lately. Also shows where were really headed.

I would response but it would be a waste of my time. Suffice to say I think you are absurd. On multiple levels. Feel free to call me a sheeple, or whatever the preferred tagline is for people who aren't moronic enough to take RT at face value.
What does that have to do with RT? Are you blaming them now for the leaks? Are you denying facts, just because they involve Russians in one way or the other? "Its all Russian, so they must be all in it"? Are you seriously dodging a discussion because you, for whatever reason, think I watch RT all day long, believe everything they say and call everyone sheeple and whatever else your messed up stereotyping holds? I think you should look in a mirror before you attack other people. But thanks for exposing your massive hypocrisy. That indeed makes a discussion completely pointless.

Russia's government has been proactively involved in subverting the Unites States electoral process. They fund bloggers to spread disinformation, run bot swarms, and close Putin allies directly threatened nuclear war if Clinton won. And that's setting aside all of the actual hacking attempts.

None of this is secret. Are you on the payroll? It's the only thing that makes sense.

2696 Comments. 135 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo