Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2664 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
8. Re: New GeForce Drivers Dec 5, 2016, 23:28 mag

Frijoles wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 22:49:
mag wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 21:46:
These hardlocked my computer (GTX 1080) during the install process.

Shiiiiiit. Getting my Touch tomorrow. Would install this, but.. yeah. I'm a little WTF also wondering how this applies to controllers.

For what it's worth, after I power-cycled it booted up fine with the new drivers installed. But not really promising, right? Haha.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: New GeForce Drivers Dec 5, 2016, 21:46 mag

Emton wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 21:19:
Will this shit crash my computer or should I keep using months old nvidia drivers...

These hardlocked my computer (GTX 1080) during the install process.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
13. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Nov 12, 2016, 17:21 mag

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 16:22:
This will be interesting to watch exactly how all this plays out.

Interesting in the (apocryphal) ancient Chinese curse sense.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2016, 16:42 mag

BobBob wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 15:20:
Dacote wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 14:45:
BobBob wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 14:24:
Watching protests on the news. I find the popular vote argument questionable. Are the popular vote excess #s based on states he won or she won? For instance, imagine each state has 2 small buckets (one red, one blue) and a large bucket which both small buckets pour into when they cease filling up. Once the large bucket is filled up, one color dominates and that sets the electoral vote for a state - meaning if a state turns turns red or blue. Popular vote matters because we measure the spill over of the large buckets. The big question - is the 'blue' popular vote - spill over - coming from both red and blue states or is it primarily coming from blue states? The question is important because I believe it can clarify or demystify state level cultural divides, the validity of electoral college vs popular vote, and help us understand fundamental differences in regional representations.
Not sure i understand your question, but if you google 2016 election results it has a nice interactive chart and you can look at individual states.

Is her popular vote win exclusively blue states or also red states?

Nevada is probably the closest thing to a red state that she won.

News Comments > Candle Released
2. Re: Candle Released Nov 12, 2016, 02:03 mag

Ozmodan wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 23:27:
Gouge your customers much, you have to pay extra for the sound track?

Another publisher to put on my must avoid list.

It's not like the game is coming without music. But it's been pretty typical for indie-games to have the soundtrack as a downloadable album for an additional $5-10, laterly.

News Comments > Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Released
6. Re: Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Released Nov 11, 2016, 01:33 mag

Numinar wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 01:28:
mag wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 23:47:
Anyone tried this out yet, though?

Ashes in the beta was... underwhelming. But there was an inkling of promise.

It looks and runs marvelously but the units and game-play just don't have the character of TA/Supcom. Hovering is boring, even if it probably does make more sense in an energy rich future. We want walkers/tracked vehicles! And the strategic/resource layout which worked so well for sins feels kind of lame on a terrestrial RTS.

A new sins game would be something. Sins is still amazing as is but a good 64 bit DX12/Vulkan engined sequel would be magnificent.

Bummer, but thanks. That was my impression in the beta (except that it even ran terribly back then), so I refunded it and hadn't tried it since. Guess I'll continue abstaining.

I love TA/SupCom and even Sins, but this just was not scratching the itch at all.

News Comments > Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Released
4. Re: Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Released Nov 10, 2016, 23:47 mag

Anyone tried this out yet, though?

Ashes in the beta was... underwhelming. But there was an inkling of promise.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 9, 2016, 22:25 mag

Muscular Beaver wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 21:53:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 21:37:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 20:53:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 19:40:
Russian Hackers Will Try to Impact More Elections After Trump's Win.

Lovely.
Haha, yeah, since its the bad Russians who are to blame, instead of the people exposed in those hacks.
If we, as so called democratic and free countries, need god damn Russians (!!!) to get the truth to the public, the problem is our system.

Killing the messenger has become trend again lately. Also shows where were really headed.

I would response but it would be a waste of my time. Suffice to say I think you are absurd. On multiple levels. Feel free to call me a sheeple, or whatever the preferred tagline is for people who aren't moronic enough to take RT at face value.
What does that have to do with RT? Are you blaming them now for the leaks? Are you denying facts, just because they involve Russians in one way or the other? "Its all Russian, so they must be all in it"? Are you seriously dodging a discussion because you, for whatever reason, think I watch RT all day long, believe everything they say and call everyone sheeple and whatever else your messed up stereotyping holds? I think you should look in a mirror before you attack other people. But thanks for exposing your massive hypocrisy. That indeed makes a discussion completely pointless.

Russia's government has been proactively involved in subverting the Unites States electoral process. They fund bloggers to spread disinformation, run bot swarms, and close Putin allies directly threatened nuclear war if Clinton won. And that's setting aside all of the actual hacking attempts.

None of this is secret. Are you on the payroll? It's the only thing that makes sense.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2016, 19:56 mag

WarPig wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 19:24:
Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 13:44:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 11:56:
Now's the perfect time to buy that E-Type that you never knew you always wanted.

(Just make sure to swap out the Lucas electrics for something more reliable and those godawful SUs for Weber DCOEs)

I don't know why people always go on about Lucas electrics. I owned a 1976 TR6 once for a few years. It was fun as hell and the I never had any problem with the electrics. Man, that was a fun little car. I often miss it. Then again, I miss my first car, a 1970 Volvo 142, even more. Loved that friggin car. If some asshole lumberjack - that's right Helf, that's why lumberjacks are douchebags! - hadn't plowed into it in his stupid fucking pickup that thing would still be on the road.

Well since we're talking cars...

My car from age 16 to 21 was a 1971 Triumph Spitfire. Repainted it silver with black trim. Mag wheels and BF Goodrich Radial TA's - with raised white letters of course - we're talking late '70's here! Of all the cars I've ever had, and there have been a few, it's the only one I literally have re-occurring dreams of driving again. Not with me being young again, just having an old Triumph, and they were happy dreams.

That's why early this summer I went I bought myself a new, Soul Red Mazda Miata Club and haven't regretted it for a minute. It's just so much fun.

Just, for the love of god, if you get snow there... get some winter tires. I spent 20 minutes one semi-snowy day stuck behind a Miata going 10 mph sideways the whole way.

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 30, 2016, 19:13 mag

mag wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 19:11:
nin wrote on Oct 29, 2016, 23:36:
bigspender wrote on Oct 29, 2016, 23:09:
But using sweat blocking deodorants such as ones containing aluminium makes you stink more when you do sweat. (because when you are finally able to sweat it is more concentrated, and you also sweat more during those times).
(coincidentally there is some evidence showing that aluminum particles in foods (e.g. used as anti-coagulants in creamer) and in deodorants contribute to dementia and Alzheimers).

So use something that still allows you to sweat, and doesn't contain aluminium or other metal particles.

As someone that (apparently) has very sensitive skin, trying to find a working deodorant w/o aluminum is a challenge. I've settled on the Toms of Maine line, and while it works ok, it doesn't last as long as a regular deodorant might. And even it manages to irritate my skin a little, but not nearly as much as those containing aluminum. (And those mineral salt deodorants don't do shit, at least for me.)

I'm a fan of the Arm & Hammer unscented deodorants (not the antiperspirants). No aluminum. Amazon linko.

It works all day for me, even through working out, but my BO is not especially rank in the first place (per girlfriends, not personal opinion).

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
9. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 30, 2016, 19:11 mag

nin wrote on Oct 29, 2016, 23:36:
bigspender wrote on Oct 29, 2016, 23:09:
But using sweat blocking deodorants such as ones containing aluminium makes you stink more when you do sweat. (because when you are finally able to sweat it is more concentrated, and you also sweat more during those times).
(coincidentally there is some evidence showing that aluminum particles in foods (e.g. used as anti-coagulants in creamer) and in deodorants contribute to dementia and Alzheimers).

So use something that still allows you to sweat, and doesn't contain aluminium or other metal particles.

As someone that (apparently) has very sensitive skin, trying to find a working deodorant w/o aluminum is a challenge. I've settled on the Toms of Maine line, and while it works ok, it doesn't last as long as a regular deodorant might. And even it manages to irritate my skin a little, but not nearly as much as those containing aluminum. (And those mineral salt deodorants don't do shit, at least for me.)

I'm a fan of the Arm & Hammer unscented deodorants (not the antiperspirants). No aluminum Amazon linko.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2016, 00:50 mag

That was the perfect end to a terrible football game.  

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins
30. Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 7, 2016, 21:13 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 23:18:
mag wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 21:39:

I hear a lot less about that stuff these days, so presumably they're less shady now. But for a long time there, they had an extremely sketchy reputation. I still avoid working with them whenever possible.

And VISA and MASTER card data security (the lack of it) don't bother you at all? Paypal is the only digital way you can hide your bank and card details from a store.

*Unless the store accepts crypto-currency
**Or unless you fancy paying with real physical paper money

*shrug* On my MasterCard I can generate single-use CC numbers that are only valid for a single retailer. And the two times I've ever had fraudulent charges on my other cards, my banks called me, canceled the number, reversed the charges, and sent a new card within an hour of the charges going through.

And none of them have a habit of stealing my money and sitting on it and refusing to give it back. Because, like, laws apply to them.

8. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 7, 2016, 21:09 mag

Isn't the registration only required for ShadowPlay?  

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins
25. Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 21:39 mag

Darks wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 13:18:
Verno wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 10:25:
Paypal is kind of a shitty company so I don't really have a problem with them doing so.

Just curious Verno, why do you think Pay Pal is shitty?

I've never had any issues with them or getting my money back if theirs been an issue.

PayPal skirted laws aimed at actual banks and financial institutions for a long time (not sure if they still do), and they had a pretty bad reputation for freezing peoples' accounts and money with little or no reason. And since they weren't a proper banking institution, people had pretty much no recourse. So months and months and months of not being able to access money held by PayPal.

I hear a lot less about that stuff these days, so presumably they're less shady now. But for a long time there, they had an extremely sketchy reputation. I still avoid working with them whenever possible.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 3, 2016, 17:09 mag

Cutter wrote on Oct 3, 2016, 11:52:
Well what exactly did they think another phone was going to be? It has to, ostensibly at any rate, still act as a phone, right? I mean that is its primary purpose at the end of the day, isn't it? Maybe they should have designed it as a cube, or a pyramid or something else, practicality be damned!

I think people were hoping for anything at all other than "More expensive and not as good as the Galaxy S7."

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2016, 20:29 mag

What is going on in the NFL this year. Up is down, black is white. Cats and dogs, living together...  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2016, 23:00 mag

jdreyer wrote on Sep 28, 2016, 05:04:
mag wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 23:32:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 17:17:
We're so far away from colonizing Mars. Let's invent an alternative to rocket technology first. Then we can start thinking about colonization.

VASIMR

Nuclear Pulse Propulsion

Ion Thrusters

Solar Sails

We've got lots of ideas (and some small-scale implementations). We need somewhere to go before anyone's going to want to dump big money into them.

None of which will get us off the planet. We need something that will get us off-planet for $100 a KG, not $10000, or whatever it costs now. Then we can build a ship that will take us safely to Mars using one of those optional propulsion systems.

Oh, launching. Well...

Launching people is harder than launching stuff, but you can still cram people into rockets and just put the heavy stuff up with a mass driver or whatever. Still, we need a use case before we'll build something that costs $20B.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2016, 22:57 mag

Bees added to US endangered species list for the first time

Well that is pretty terrifying.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2016, 23:32 mag

jdreyer wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 17:17:
We're so far away from colonizing Mars. Let's invent an alternative to rocket technology first. Then we can start thinking about colonization.

VASIMR

Nuclear Pulse Propulsion

Ion Thrusters

Solar Sails

We've got lots of ideas (and some small-scale implementations). We need somewhere to go before anyone's going to want to dump big money into them.

2664 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo