Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2643 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 17, 2016, 19:17 mag

jdreyer wrote on Sep 17, 2016, 16:39:
Dagnamit wrote on Sep 17, 2016, 13:23:
On the one hand, he did his country a great (though illegal) service. On the other hand, he ran to Russia.

Gotta think that if he didn't run to Russia he'd be in line for a pardon. I would probably do it because sometimes to government needs to lose, but fuck man, Russia? Russia?! C'mon...

Show me a whistle-blower that followed protocol who hasn't been harassed, fired, arrested, bugged, murdered, or all of them. Russia wasn't his first choice, but the reach of the USA is such that his choices were pretty limited.

Secrecy abuse is a huge issue in the US. 90% by most estimates are things for which secrecy is not required. Instead it's used to cover up incompetence and corruption, help corporations avoid embarrassing situations, avoid embarrassing investigations, etc. Snowden helped bring a light to this fact and get into the national discussion. IMO he should be pardoned. Though he wouldn't be able to return to the US he could move to a better country.

This guy got lucky, but shows how badly things can go even when you follow protocol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Andrews_Drake

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Halo 5: Forge PC Specs
27. Re: Halo 5: Forge PC Specs Aug 28, 2016, 15:59 mag

ShadyPete wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 07:20:
1) Microsoft buying Halo, a PC franchise, then killing it on PC

Halo was originally a mac exclusive and ran on opengl.

It wasn't even a franchise when it was bought. It was just a game in development...

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 25, 2016, 23:45 mag

Creston wrote on Aug 25, 2016, 18:58:
Dammit. Fuck you, Larry Page.

It's Google's MO to dabble and then kill projects. Never rely on any of their products...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2016, 08:14 mag

Cutter wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 12:40:
So I pulled my rig apart last night, cleaned and reseated everything and after a pile of testing I'm 99% certain it's my PSU at this point. In fact I think it's been a problem since day one now. I originally RMA'd my first card because only one fan was working so I naturally assumed it was the card. It's the same problem with this one. Also the fan on the PSU isn't working either. So I'lll be looking at getting a replacement today and then see if it's worth RMA'ing this thing to get a replacement as a spare. I just looked at Thermaltake's replacement policy and I'm duly unimpressed. Had I known I wouldn't have bought from them to begin with.

So all the recs and reviews I see seem to be people saying stick with EVGA or Corsair, so any comments in that respect? Also how much does the 80 plus bronze/silver/gold/etc. jive matter when considered with cost? Lastly I ran Coolmaster's PSU test and they said I only actually need about 350-400W, so I may step down from a 750 to a 650 or 550 - as my next vid card will be an RX 480 that means I'll need even less power.

Thanks!

You probably want to add Seasonic to the list. A lot of Corsair PSUs are (were) made by Seasonic, and that's actually where their good reputation comes from. I've only had two PSUs in the past ten years, one a Corsair-Seasonic and one a Seasonic. Both are still going strong, no issues.

Edit: Nevermind, see you already picked one, haha.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 23, 2016, 22:54 mag

Saboth wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 21:29:
The Gawker situation was deplorable. I visit a lot of progressive blogs, and it was shocking how many people considered it to be only a nasty gossip blog. True, it did have stories like that, and the readership was really upset at the Hogan and Thiel stories when they were published. However, Hogan getting 140 million was probably one of the worst judgements I've heard of. True, his career was harmed because the spotlight was shone on him, but that wasn't because of the sex tape. He fell out of favor due to his racist rants that became public. That's when he was dropped and no one would touch him with a 10 foot pole. The fact a millionaire or even a group of millionaires can come together to put a news organization out of business with frivolous lawsuits should be frightening to everyone.

Nick Denton, (edit: former) owner of Gawker, is a fantastically wealthy man, and he had no trouble siccing his highly-paid lawyers on anyone smaller than him when they had issues with Gawker. He just finally poked a bigger fish in Thiel.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Comp Mode Improvements
5. Re: Team Fortress 2 Comp Mode Improvements Aug 18, 2016, 00:33 mag

Nimh wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 12:08:
fawker wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 11:08:
Man, Overwatch really got theses guy's off their asses.

It's just wild flailing.. Performance is still awful for a 10 yr old game, and they ignore all comments from the betas. But hey.. here's a new hat and community event!

Valve games are just vehicles for micro-transactions these days.

Dude how many frames do you need! I have it running at like 16x AA just to give my computer something to *do* and I still get 100+ fps.

News Comments > Blue Byte's PC Legacy
2. Re: Blue Byte's PC Legacy Aug 15, 2016, 10:07 mag

Frijoles wrote on Aug 15, 2016, 09:34:
Settlers 1 and 2 are among my favorite games, with Settlers 1 being a major reason for my gaming life. I put so many hours in to those games. I really wish they'd release a new Settlers game that worked like the first two. They can even keep the automatic roads; just give me a slow-paced city planning game that is light on combat. With great music.

I remember playing Settlers 1 for so long on end that my poor Soundblaster 16 would start to overheat(?) and start making this godawful screeching for every attempted sound effect.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Released
55. Re: No Man's Sky Released Aug 13, 2016, 11:15 mag

Bumpy wrote on Aug 13, 2016, 10:32:
El Pit wrote on Aug 13, 2016, 10:27:
To sum it up, it is better to wait and see if they add more diversity in gameplay and flora/fauna, I understand? Maybe there will be a GOTY version in a year or so with added features. It's alright, I can wait.

In today's gaming landscape, I honestly don't see this happening.

Most likely they will shift their attention to making NMS2 into the full featured game that everyone really wanted. Then they will offer DLC for this one instead.

It's definitely possible they'll just fix the bugs and then abandon it, but they've already been talking about how subsequent updates will add in freighters and the ability to build space stations. So adding content and functionality is on their radar...

News Comments > No Man's Sky Released
28. Re: No Man's Sky Released Aug 13, 2016, 00:22 mag

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 13, 2016, 00:17:
Refund complete from Steam. As I said, I might give it a second try after a few fix release and price reductions. What a colossal failure of a launch.

Did you try it after the update listed above?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 12, 2016, 07:59 mag

Fion wrote on Aug 11, 2016, 13:46:
Pfffft.. I'm on TWC and I pay $50 for 20/1. Paying an extra $10 for triple the speeds sounds lovely.

$65 for 20/2 on TWC, here. :/

News Comments > No Man's Sky is Very Very Chill
12. Re: No Man's Sky is Very Very Chill Aug 8, 2016, 22:35 mag

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 22:31:
What is the sandbox portion of this game? Upgrading your survival suit and ship?

Sandbox is a synonym for open world. You can go wherever you want. No walls.

News Comments > Disney Platformers on GOG.com
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 4, 2016, 13:29 mag

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 13:17:
Tachikoma wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 11:57:
Yawn. Much more interesting is the fact Kenshi just appeared on GOG - finally some EA -sorry, In Dev - game with substance.

The Lion King and Aladdin are both generally regarded as two of the best platformers from the SNES/Genesis era, if not two of the best ever. I know I definitely have fond memories of both from elementary school.

Yeah. Both are extremely solid games, to my memory. ...but not worth $10/ea in 2016.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Please stop using Videosift. Aug 3, 2016, 23:26 mag

NetHead wrote on Aug 3, 2016, 21:58:
Curious why videos are often linked to the videosift.com website since they're always just Youtube videos?

I always end up having to open the video on the Youtube site because the videosift.com site is a pain. Not to mention this time I tried to do the usual and it tells me "You've Been Blacklisted..". It's either IP related (my IP changes at the will of the ISP) or it's because I have adblocking, regardless if it's happening to me (who only goes there once in a while because of Blue's) it's no doubt happening to others also. Anyway it's always seemed like a useless site.

If that awful videosift site is used to help people at work who may have the youtube site blocked, I'd suggest instead using www.nsfwYouTube.com. It simply embeds the youtube video onto the page handily using it's video's URL id.

for example... http://www.nsfwyoutube.com/watch?v=WZlyz6LL6vg

Also with nsfwYouTube you don't even need to enable scripts for the nsfwYouTube site to watch Youtube videos via it (unlike the heinous Videosift). Add to that some element blocking and you end up with a page showing almost nothing more than the video you want.

edit....

I'm guessing this is the video..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYxI_XuR9yk

easy change for nsfwYouTube

www.nsfwyoutube.com/watch?v=MYxI_XuR9yk

Blue posts the links that people send him. Some people send him links to videosift because that's where they find the videos. I don't think there's any deep conspiracy beyond that.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
12. Re: Gone Gold - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Jul 30, 2016, 01:07 mag

Cutter wrote on Jul 30, 2016, 00:27:
See you when you hit the bargain bin.

That's high praise!

News Comments > Gone Gold - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
6. Re: Gone Gold - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Jul 29, 2016, 21:06 mag

JohnBirshire wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 19:43:
Does this have "Push button to stick to wall" gameplay?

That ruined the prior one for me, feels so unrealistic. I have no problem ducking behind cover, but I want to manually control it (ducking/leaning), not have a toggle on/off button.

I unbound my "press button to win" and "press button to stick to wall" keys and just played it like normal. Stealth didn't always quite work right that way, but it was more or less playable like the real Deus Ex.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
11. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jul 18, 2016, 21:34 mag

dubfanatic wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 16:22:
dangerman77 wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 18:15:
"1000%" sure sounds a lot more impressive than the actual number of "just $80000".

Not to mention she leans anti-science, anti-vaccine, pro-homeopathy, and completely bombed a reddit AMA two months ago.

It's hilarious how half of my Facebook feed, which is all the I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE crowd is throwing their weight behind Stein. Of course when you realize that leftists have no principles and base their entire worldview on ideology it makes perfect sense.

???????

ideology : the set of ideas and beliefs of a group or political party

principle

: a moral rule or belief that helps you know what is right and wrong and that influences your actions

: a basic truth or theory : an idea that forms the basis of something

An ideology is... a group's set of principles.

News Comments > Splash Damage (and Digital Extremes) Sales
14. Re: Splash Damage (and Digital Extremes) Sales Jul 10, 2016, 09:55 mag

Slick wrote on Jul 10, 2016, 03:33:
OldDirtyEwok wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 13:43:
Why there never was a sequel to ET blows my minds, even Quake Wars was worthy enough to warrant a sequel...but no, we got brink...

Wasn't ET:QW capped at like 30 fps or something godawful? That old Tech 4 engine was lousy like that. all games were either 30 or 60 I think...

I'd totally rebuy that game if there were active servers, but can't put up with a 30 fps cap. Who needs always-on servers to destroy the replayability of games 10 years in the future, game devs are kneecapping their titles from future tech juuuust fine.

It was capped at 30fps at first, but later that was removed and changed to being capped at multiples of 30. Both were disableable, though.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 23, 2016, 01:23 mag

I canceled mine more or less when they started experimenting with putting ads for other Netflix shows at the beginning of things you tried to play. *shrug*  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
13. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 17, 2016, 23:30 mag

Vio wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 16:50:
Its simple - if they add classes then it isn't quake, it is TF2 then.

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars?

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
3. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 12, 2016, 16:38 mag

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 11, 2016, 19:30:
I'm having a real hard time trying to decide what I want to do for an upgrade. It has basically broken down to:

-Building a used Haswell K series that comes damn close to a 6600K even with overclocking and put that load money towards a new graphics card.

-Building a non-k Skylake/H170 for a little more than a Haswell but less than a K/Z170 system and put that little bit of money towards a new graphics card.

-Building a K series/170Z and have to suffer with my R9 280 for a loooong time but have a great foundation for future-ness.

-Wait until at least Q4 for Zen

DDR4 is negligible performance gains and I'm not on the level to enjoy such luxuries as M.2 whatevers or SLI. I just want a nice foundation which will last me for the next 2 - 3 years since it seems processing power has hit some kind of wall. Even a i5-6500 with Turbo Boost is more than enough which is why it's something I am leaning towards especially if I can flash the bios back to a BCLK overclock option on the H170 which would render the 6600K option moot.

It's a damn tough choice.

Wait for the Radeon 480 reviews, buy a pair of those or a 1070/1080, and then wait to see what's what with Zen before beefing up the rest of the system.

2643 Comments. 133 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo