Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2760 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2018, 17:56 mag

jdreyer wrote on Jul 5, 2018, 12:40:
Yesterday was the quietest fourth of July I can recall. We had our city's firework show, and that was it basically. Other than the occasional firecracker I heard almost nothing last night. And there was no lingering smoke at all, unlike previous years. Anyone experience anything different?

Went to a community fireworks display in a park that sits on a hill. The entire horizon, 360 degrees, was either other big community fireworks or smaller individual ones.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 28, 2018, 23:47 mag

Beamer wrote on Jun 28, 2018, 14:55:
Bumpy wrote on Jun 28, 2018, 14:07:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 28, 2018, 13:39:
It's not just "younger folk" sending photos. https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/26438102/cow-dog-hotdogs/?hl=en
Here's a local food truck in my small hometown and there are millions of other businesses that use it.

Businesses may post on it but it's still the younger folk using it. Again, maybe my personal sample is skewed but most older and middle age adults go to a business's web site, not Instagram.

Business websites get such little traffic that few businesses maintain them. Your local restaurant's page probably look like the Space Jam page and is time consuming for someone to update. Consumers can get the same information, and more, from Yelp or Google maps. For CPG brands, the information is better from Amazon than a brand.com.

Also, and I know so many people over 40 bristle at this, but your habits and trends don't matter. You're spending way less money on these things, en aggregate than someone 25. So it's reaching them that matters.

Google and Yelp are actually worse than useless for all of my local restaurants, with actively wrong hours and menu information. If they don't maintain their own websites, or curate their own entries on food-delivery services, you pretty much have to either call or walk down to figure out what's up.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2018, 15:21 mag

Beamer wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 14:57:
Open question:

I'm looking for an example of a movie in which the hero was getting his ass kicked, realized he needed to change his strategy, and did so and won.

There are a few billion of these, but I can't think of any. The better known it is, the better. In case anyone has one off the top of their head.

Not the best example but I love it so wanted to link it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ltRBEu0IU

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Facebook edged out of top 3 social networks by U.S. teens Jun 1, 2018, 08:38 mag

Simon Says wrote on May 31, 2018, 21:43:
-Youtube is not a social network, it's a video platform.
-Instagram isn't a social network, it's a photo platform.
-Snapchat isn't a social network, it's a chat app.

Rolleyes

Facebook is not a social network, it's an ad platform.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 May 28, 2018, 10:06 mag

Osc8r wrote on May 27, 2018, 18:14:
I would have bought DS if they had removed all the BS you had to go through just to play co-op with a friend, not to mention all the stupid limitations to go with it.

Just let people play co-op with friends, it's not that fkn hard.

What do you want, a lobby? You type in a password. Your friend types in a password. Voila, you can always co-op together, and you'll only see eachother's signs.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
19. Re: Morning Metaverse May 24, 2018, 00:35 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on May 24, 2018, 00:19:
jdreyer wrote on May 23, 2018, 19:50:
NKD wrote on May 23, 2018, 17:19:
Wooo The Expanse. Some of the best scifi on TV in years and years.

Probably the best since BSG, before it jumped the shark in the fourth season.

I think it's actually substantially better than BSG.... for one, realistic space combat.

Also it's not a shitty soap opera. And the writers actually know where the story is going.

News Comments > Battlefield V in October
17. Re: Battlefield V in October May 23, 2018, 23:41 mag

Wallshadows wrote on May 23, 2018, 22:48:
MFW this game retails for $120 though since it apparently won't come with loot boxes or DLC.

Doesn't this stand for "my face when?" What face? What face do you make when games cost $120? I need to know.

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2018, 16:17 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on May 12, 2018, 14:54:
Future proof that Syphilis fucking sucks, we got the god awful Lost in Space, the even worse Altered Carbon from Netflix, proof that Netflix still doesn't even come close to making good sci-fi shows, and then a big empty shitty plain of crap (in the sci-fi genre)

The Expanse is literally the only good sci-fi show on right now. How this can be canceled is absolutely beyond me.

Apparently SyFy only had first-run-rights to the Expanse. It was a shitty deal for them. Tons of money and they were really limited in how they could profit from it.

Did you really not like Altered Carbon? I haven't watched it, but I read the novel, and I was kinda iffy on that. But everyone seemed to love the Netflix series.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 8, 2018, 17:39 mag

DangerDog wrote on May 8, 2018, 15:57:
AI? Where??

"My CPU is a neural net processor, a learning computer"

... still waiting.

Conditional branch decision computing, just isn't as sexy as saying "AI".

I do love how Google always tries to paint a happy face on the utility of their apps. "Use google maps to locate that new hip coffee shop that just opened near where you live".

reality: "Use google maps to show the most recent crime reports and rapes in your neighborhood before going for that jog".

one is completely useless, the other might save your life.

Do you really check your neighborhood's crime stats on Google more often than you look for restaurants?

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2018, 23:21 mag

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 13:04:
Things are getting better for upgrades/new builds:

gpu prices are coming down already, close to msrp in some places now.

1060 3gb back down @ $200

I saw a GTX1080 for only $600 yesterday!! Which seems like a huge deal! ...except that's the same price it was when it was released two years ago, ha.

News Comments > New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced
13. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 13:36 mag

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 12:26:
I've been sitting patiently waiting for the next generation of GPUs to land to build a new computer. My CPU is a i7-4700K, ram is 16 gigs DDR3 and using a 500 gig second generation Intel SSD with a 980 Ti.

Its been working well on everything so far but I'm looking at a full upgrade and the caveat is the next generation from 1080 Ti..

So people that are in the know for processors, how did the new intels versus ryzen fan out and do you see these overtaking?

They are about equivalent clock-for-clock, core-for-core. So it depends on your workload. Intel's chips are clocked higher and can overclock higher, so for utilized cores < 8 (games), they're going to be a little faster. If you're not limited by your graphics card. Which you probably will be. In which case it doesn't really matter.

And then on the other side, for a lot of "productivity" type things like encoding/rendering/decoding/compiling/etc that are highly-parallelizable, the extra cores will usually give the Ryzens a boost over fewer-cored Intels.

Edit:

And this year's Ryzen's are very similar to last year's, except they're more power efficient and are clocked higher out of the box, though their overclockability is still not huge. So it doesn't change the calculus a whole lot, but it tightens up the margins a little.

News Comments > New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced
6. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 11:34 mag

Rigs wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 11:04:
So is this where we are now? Forget GHZ, lets see how many cores we can stuff into a microscopic space? I wonder how much better those 8 cores would be at, oh, 7ghz? or 10ghz? Because that's where we should be by now. Hell, BY NOW, using Moore's Law, we should be at 50ghz. We're being held back! Conservatives? Liberals? Illuminati? Vulcans? I dunno, but cores are not our future! This industry was built on pushing the speed limit, MHZ then GHZ and now we've been hovering around 4ghz for more than a decade! This industry is stagnant and it's a fucking disgrace!

=-Rigs-=

That's not what Moore's Law is.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Free with Pillars of Eternity II Preorders
9. Re: Wasteland 2 Free with Pillars of Eternity II Preorders Apr 10, 2018, 02:18 mag

Quinn wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 01:52:
What the hell? I always thought PoEt had a great reputation?! Is this good ol' Bluesnews negativity or did I get it all wrong?

It's just Cutter. He's been whining about PoEt since before it was released.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2018, 19:13 mag

I am still getting expired SSL cert warnings when I go to https://bluesnews.com. I have to go to www.bluesnews.com to avoid the warning.  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2018, 01:50 mag

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 13, 2018, 14:54:
Buick can do whatever they want with their badging... in 40 years of being a customer of the car industry, I've never had a single moment of interest in any Buick. I'm guessing I'll make it to the grave with that streak in tact...

If I'd been the right age and had the money, a Grand National would've been pretty tempting back in the 80s.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 11, 2018, 19:43 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 11, 2018, 16:53:
Re: tiff -> No future, everything and everyone uses TGA and PNG. Last time I used TIFF was in the 90ies where I quickly dropped it after one of my image management tools dropped support for it (not wanting to pay the Adobe license I guess)

I've had to use it a few times in the past few years. Academic journals occasionally require tiff format for figures. But definitely dying out.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal?
13. Re: NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal? Mar 11, 2018, 03:44 mag

WaltC wrote on Mar 10, 2018, 18:58:
Wall of text

3dfx had a few years of dominance because it was fast and cheap and cut corners in all the ways that didn't matter so much for games, and because of that Glide had a few exclusives. But OpenGL and Direct3D were both there first.

OpenGL 1.0 was released in 1992.

The first version of Direct3D was July 1996.

The Voodoo1 was released in August 1996.

The first 3d accelerated version of Quake wasn't even for 3dfx cards--it was VQuake for the Rendition Verite V1000 in late 1996.

GLQuake, in 1997, needed to use a wrapper to convert OpenGL calls to Glide calls, since there were enough non-3dfx cards available at the time that supported OpenGL that it made sense to develop it for that primarily (PowerVR and Rendition were the big competitors at the time).

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 9, 2018, 23:12 mag

A smartphone recession is coming and animated poo emojis can't stop it.

Damn, finally! Give me $3-400 flagships again.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Mar 7, 2018, 08:24 mag

Dead Cells remains fantastic. Pick it up!  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2018, 21:20 mag

runnerct32 wrote on Mar 4, 2018, 18:17:
All the Oscars are going to be is trashing Trump, who cares what these fools say, they are liberals trying to get rid of guns as they make their movies glamorizing guns makes no sense to me why watch, it will just be trash talking

Saint Trump wants to take guns without due process, ban violent video games, and be president for life.

2760 Comments. 138 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo