Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wakka Wakka!

Real Name Wakka Wakka!   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mag
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 24, 2002, 15:22
Total Comments 2751 (Senior)
User ID 14905

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2018, 23:21 mag

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 13:04:
Things are getting better for upgrades/new builds:

gpu prices are coming down already, close to msrp in some places now.

1060 3gb back down @ $200

I saw a GTX1080 for only $600 yesterday!! Which seems like a huge deal! ...except that's the same price it was when it was released two years ago, ha.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced
13. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 13:36 mag

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 12:26:
I've been sitting patiently waiting for the next generation of GPUs to land to build a new computer. My CPU is a i7-4700K, ram is 16 gigs DDR3 and using a 500 gig second generation Intel SSD with a 980 Ti.

Its been working well on everything so far but I'm looking at a full upgrade and the caveat is the next generation from 1080 Ti..

So people that are in the know for processors, how did the new intels versus ryzen fan out and do you see these overtaking?

They are about equivalent clock-for-clock, core-for-core. So it depends on your workload. Intel's chips are clocked higher and can overclock higher, so for utilized cores < 8 (games), they're going to be a little faster. If you're not limited by your graphics card. Which you probably will be. In which case it doesn't really matter.

And then on the other side, for a lot of "productivity" type things like encoding/rendering/decoding/compiling/etc that are highly-parallelizable, the extra cores will usually give the Ryzens a boost over fewer-cored Intels.

Edit:

And this year's Ryzen's are very similar to last year's, except they're more power efficient and are clocked higher out of the box, though their overclockability is still not huge. So it doesn't change the calculus a whole lot, but it tightens up the margins a little.

News Comments > New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced
6. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 11:34 mag

Rigs wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 11:04:
So is this where we are now? Forget GHZ, lets see how many cores we can stuff into a microscopic space? I wonder how much better those 8 cores would be at, oh, 7ghz? or 10ghz? Because that's where we should be by now. Hell, BY NOW, using Moore's Law, we should be at 50ghz. We're being held back! Conservatives? Liberals? Illuminati? Vulcans? I dunno, but cores are not our future! This industry was built on pushing the speed limit, MHZ then GHZ and now we've been hovering around 4ghz for more than a decade! This industry is stagnant and it's a fucking disgrace!

=-Rigs-=

That's not what Moore's Law is.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Free with Pillars of Eternity II Preorders
9. Re: Wasteland 2 Free with Pillars of Eternity II Preorders Apr 10, 2018, 02:18 mag

Quinn wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 01:52:
What the hell? I always thought PoEt had a great reputation?! Is this good ol' Bluesnews negativity or did I get it all wrong?

It's just Cutter. He's been whining about PoEt since before it was released.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2018, 19:13 mag

I am still getting expired SSL cert warnings when I go to https://bluesnews.com. I have to go to www.bluesnews.com to avoid the warning.  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2018, 01:50 mag

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 13, 2018, 14:54:
Buick can do whatever they want with their badging... in 40 years of being a customer of the car industry, I've never had a single moment of interest in any Buick. I'm guessing I'll make it to the grave with that streak in tact...

If I'd been the right age and had the money, a Grand National would've been pretty tempting back in the 80s.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 11, 2018, 19:43 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 11, 2018, 16:53:
Re: tiff -> No future, everything and everyone uses TGA and PNG. Last time I used TIFF was in the 90ies where I quickly dropped it after one of my image management tools dropped support for it (not wanting to pay the Adobe license I guess)

I've had to use it a few times in the past few years. Academic journals occasionally require tiff format for figures. But definitely dying out.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal?
13. Re: NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal? Mar 11, 2018, 03:44 mag

WaltC wrote on Mar 10, 2018, 18:58:
Wall of text

3dfx had a few years of dominance because it was fast and cheap and cut corners in all the ways that didn't matter so much for games, and because of that Glide had a few exclusives. But OpenGL and Direct3D were both there first.

OpenGL 1.0 was released in 1992.

The first version of Direct3D was July 1996.

The Voodoo1 was released in August 1996.

The first 3d accelerated version of Quake wasn't even for 3dfx cards--it was VQuake for the Rendition Verite V1000 in late 1996.

GLQuake, in 1997, needed to use a wrapper to convert OpenGL calls to Glide calls, since there were enough non-3dfx cards available at the time that supported OpenGL that it made sense to develop it for that primarily (PowerVR and Rendition were the big competitors at the time).

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 9, 2018, 23:12 mag

A smartphone recession is coming and animated poo emojis can't stop it.

Damn, finally! Give me $3-400 flagships again.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Mar 7, 2018, 08:24 mag

Dead Cells remains fantastic. Pick it up!  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2018, 21:20 mag

runnerct32 wrote on Mar 4, 2018, 18:17:
All the Oscars are going to be is trashing Trump, who cares what these fools say, they are liberals trying to get rid of guns as they make their movies glamorizing guns makes no sense to me why watch, it will just be trash talking

Saint Trump wants to take guns without due process, ban violent video games, and be president for life.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 3, 2018, 17:56 mag

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 3, 2018, 17:22:
Right, if it were $3.37 it wouldn't take but a few weeks for drivers to know this isn't cutting it and it would have been dead a long time ago. Still need a Bitcoin based version where the company behind it is a total unknown, it is just an App to put driver and rider together. A true open social experience.

The report which factored in insurance, maintenance, repairs, fuel and other costs...

This is the median net profit, after costs. Maintenance, repairs, and fuel are going to be disassociated from their Uber paychecks enough that they're not going to really realize how much they're actually making until the costs of putting an extra XX,000 miles/year on their car starts to set in.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Mar 1, 2018, 01:35 mag

Slick wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 21:07:
Wow.

This game has to have some sort of "Ikarguga" mechanic where you're absorbing one of the colours, as dodging all of those looks super difficult, even for a schmup.

It looks like your hitbox is just the tiny little red dot on your back, so that's why it's doable.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2018, 21:22 mag

DangerDog wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 19:12:
Turn that frown upside down libs, Trump says he wants to grab guns without due process.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/968953652483379202

Oh nooooo he's triggering me so hard. I hope he doesn't promote single-payer healthcare, next! That would really stick it to the libs!

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2018, 18:57 mag

Oops, double post.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2018, 18:56 mag

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 10:26:
Looks like the Wheeler-dealer in Chief got a smoking good deal on Air Force 1, saved a ton by using Ben Carson's advice on dining room tables. {facepalm}

As of Dec 2016, when he started bitching about the cost:

According to the Department of Defense budget there's about $2.8 billion dollars allotted on the project until fiscal 2021. The document didn't put a total figure on the cost. The figure was marked as "continuing" under cost to complete. The Government Accountability Office said last year the cost could be about $3.2 billion, NBC News reported. It added by the time the aircraft is delivered it could be over $4 billion.

Source

Such an amazing deal, lol.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2018, 12:09 mag

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 25, 2018, 12:04:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 25, 2018, 11:54:

I haven't seen it yet, but I suspect I'll just come down on the "meh" side of it. People were praising the hell out of WW, but I thought it was just okay. I'm getting a similar vibe here. Will be happy to be disappointed though.
I'd be interested in your take on the movie. As for WW, even the women I associate with thought it was preachy.

Some highly acclaimed movies I just don't "get", Dunkirk is a fine example of MEH.

I'm not really sure what you'd consider preachy about WW. Pretty standard superhero movie. The Very British Mustache on Super-Muscled-Greek-God was probably the most unintentionally hilarious moment in film last year, though.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2018, 11:07 mag

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 25, 2018, 02:55:
Perfect summary of this Black Panther hype:
https://www.memecenter.com/fun/7215979/panthers-are-like-blacks-i-wanna-hunt-them

Dude, wtf?

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 19, 2018, 18:17 mag

Bard wrote on Feb 19, 2018, 15:52:
wikileaks data, which has a track record of 100% correct 100% of the time

Oh for fucks' sake.

News Comments > Get Dead Space for Free
9. Re: Get Dead Space for Free Feb 14, 2018, 00:18 mag

Simon Says wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 20:54:
Have they fixed the laggy targeting after release or was this drunken stupor sluggishness "working as intended"? It completely killed the game for me in 5 minutes flat.

I think the major thing you needed to do was disable vsync in game, and then force-enable it in the drivers. Something like that. Still no fix for the shitty fov or that having a controller or joystick plugged in completely broke the controls.

2751 Comments. 138 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo