Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 4195 (Master)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch
17. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 30, 2016, 21:29 Overon

CJ_Parker wrote on May 30, 2016, 19:49:
Yeppers. Polaris will compete below the GTX 1070 level (probably at the GTX 980 performance level) and the NDA for Polaris drops on June 29 (it is unclear whether that is also the launch date).

Vega is still officially scheduled for early 2017. There was a rumor recently that AMD might have plans to release Vega early in October but I have done some research on the source of the rumor and it seems to be based on a single post in a German forum. The post was made on the same day as the GTX 1080 NDA was lifted, i.e. when hordes of salty AMD fantards tried to spread FUD about GTX 1080 and how Vega is gonna kick its ass. I give that rumor a 1/10 on the credibility meter.

If AMD really had plans to release Vega early then right about now would have been a perfect time to announce those plans to keep people from buying Pascals.
AMD's silence speaks volumes. They are not going to have anything to counter Pascal for a long time. Vega won't be here before early 2017. It might have HBM2 and beat the GTX 1080 but nVidia will have big Pascal a.k.a GP-102 by then to counter Vega.

It is also unlikely that those chips will do much to GTX 1080/1070 pricing. AMD should have learned their lesson by now that price wars are stupid. It has not helped them gain a lasting market share in the past, but what it has done, it has helped them amass a fuckton of debt.

GP-102 and Vega will most likely just occupy the space above $699. Neither nVidia nor AMD is going to give away HBM2 cards for low margins. They'll make sure to charge premium prices for their premium products.

14nm (AMD) and 16nm (nVidia) is still pretty immature. Wafers are fucking expensive. Yields are (relatively) poor. Those high end chips like Vega and 1080Ti/Titan are going to cost a pretty penny when they first come out.

All that said, I have zero interest in buying a AMD GPU anyway. The Witcher 3 is a Gameworks game. I want to play this shit with a high end nVidia card and not some gimped, hot, noisy GPU based around a shitty driver with only half the features that *might* come out early next year.

As for DX12: GTX 1080 is the fastest single GPU right now. Who gives a fuck if an AMD card gains more in some games? The only thing that counts is results and those are in favor of nVidia. I also don't see DirectX 12 playing a huge role any time soon, let alone Async Compute which requires lots of effort from the developer on the implementation level (check here for an interview with Crytek on the subject).

Snnniiiiiipppp:
Currently we’re using Asynchronous Compute in VR development, where a technique known as Async-Timewarp/Reprojection is used by VR APIs to reduce latency and offset the negative effect of occasional frame drops. We’re also in the process of evaluating and experimenting with other uses for it. The possibilities are interesting, but at least for the time being, it also introduces non-trivial added complexity in PC space due to lack of standardization and the relative immaturity of the hardware that supports it, where many GPUs come with sometimes problematic restrictions on pre-emption granularity, etc.

Translation: Async Compute might play a role in a couple of years and by then there will be better support for it on both AMD and nVidia cards alike so this is a total non-issue right now and just AMD fantards badmouthing nVidia over nothing.
The consumers job is not to keep companies afloat. But I wonder what would happen if Nvidia had no AMD competition. It appears that in the high end, AMD is bowing out and trying to compete on the midrange and on volume. Steam hardware surveys show that such a tiny percentage of the market has the very high end graphics hardware the kind that the gtx 1080 and 1070 represent. Most people have midrange hardware. People can expect to pay for the 1080 and 1070 like there is no competition there, which there isn't.

I'm in the market for a graphics card. I have an I7 860 Lynnfield. Would I need to replace my motherboard and get a new processor in order to take advantage of something say a gtx 1070? In other words what's the cpu scaling? How much would that cpu bottleneck graphics performance?

This comment was edited on May 30, 2016, 21:36.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch
2. Re: The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch May 30, 2016, 14:31 Overon

I'm glad they are making improvements to the game still. I always says that the best game experience is had after waiting. I know it's hard for gamers to wait instead of buying day 1. Seeing everyone else playing it. Multiplayer games I can understand. But single player games you have no excuse. If you wait, not only will you get the most polished game, but also it will cost you the least amount of money.  

News Comments > Overwatch Video Drivers
4. Re: Overwatch Video Drivers May 24, 2016, 00:52 Overon

Thanks for the info guys.  

News Comments > Overwatch Video Drivers
1. Re: Overwatch Video Drivers May 23, 2016, 20:05 Overon

What are these drivers ready for that the previous drivers weren't ready for? I don't get this whole "game ready" shit. What does it mean exactly?  

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution DLC & Framerate Patch Plans
1. Re: Homefront: The Revolution DLC & Framerate Patch Plans May 20, 2016, 18:06 Overon

Game has more problems than framerate.  

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Released
9. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Released May 18, 2016, 06:56 Overon

Forget the premise, that's the least of the game's problems, if that even is one.  

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Released
2. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Released May 17, 2016, 22:31 Overon

Game is getting really bashed, especially the PC version for being shit. Be extra careful.  

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup
47. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 17, 2016, 17:23 Overon

I don't get it why these niche high end graphics cards get so much press. Look at the Steam hardware surveys. Like 2% of Steam users actually have these super high end graphics card. The vast majority have midrange ones. I understand that these high end cards are profitable. But I wonder if midrange cards could make up for the low profitability by selling in high volume?

Anyway what I'm trying to say is who cares about a $700 card? So few people actually buy one yet everyone loses their shit when some new card is announced. I prefer the price/performance ratio as an indicator of what card to buy.

News Comments > System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month
23. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 17:42 Overon

I only played System Shock 2. Always wanted to play System Shock 1. Even if it's ugly Unity engine game, it's still miles ahead of the original, and maybe it's a good opportunity to finally play it with the best looking version it's ever going to be. It's shame it's on Unity. I know Unity can do better, it just sucks that because it's free it's gotten a reputation for everyone and their grandmothers designing shitty cash grab and run away kind of games. The phrase "Unity with prebuilt assets" has a special dread for me.

Oh no this is being made for Xbone too? God damnit.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2016, 17:49.

News Comments > DOOM Released
146. Re: DOOM Released May 15, 2016, 15:49 Overon

So does this game have any longevity like mod support? I know about the SnapMap stuff, but that doesn't seem very robust.  

News Comments > DOOM Released
74. Re: DOOM Released May 13, 2016, 18:10 Overon

Does this game have the same problem that previous id games had with low resolution textures up close? Does this have the same draw in texture issues that Rage had?

This comment was edited on May 13, 2016, 18:51.

News Comments > Quantum Break Patch
6. Re: Quantum Break Patch Apr 30, 2016, 17:05 Overon

Quantum Break is shit. Games for Windows Live 2.0 aka Universal Windows App is shit. You are going to need more than 27 GB to fix all that shit.  

News Comments > Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition Launches
9. Re: Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition Launches Apr 28, 2016, 17:57 Overon

Ori and the Blind Forest Ultimate Definitive Turbo Game of the Year Edition  

News Comments > John Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter
10. Re: John Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter Apr 25, 2016, 17:44 Overon

I'm still waiting for John Romero to make him his bitch. Saying this is obligatory whenever John Romero is mentioned.  

News Comments > Pyre Coming to Windows; Gameplay Video
2. Re: Pyre Coming to Windows; Gameplay Video Apr 24, 2016, 19:17 Overon

Art direction is great. But the gameplay doesn't seem to fit.  

News Comments > Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Launch Trailer
7. Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Launch Trailer Apr 20, 2016, 20:17 Overon

Keith wrote on Apr 20, 2016, 20:06:
Pre-orders got beta access, including the mp and a small portion of the sp storyline. Graphically it looks good, the story seems decent, and the gameplay was easy to get into. I do have issues with a couple elements: (1) this is one of those games where each unit has different abilities, usually several of them, so in the heat of battle you have to track down an individual icon on the interface to maximize effectiveness. Can't understand why this isn't made more automatic, like being able to tell your AI captains to use torpedoes when they can (e.g. in range, right angle, etc.). (2) The damage models aren't done very well. What I saw was my smaller ships helping my larger ships engage the enemy. Next thing I know, the smaller ships explode due to enemy damage. I couldn't really even tell they were being damaged, and they just explode. No real chance to pull them back or anything. I get that life is cheap in the 40k universe, but damn, Ensign Carter should at least get a chance.
You can make some abilities automatically fire. You right click on the ability button and it will auto fire.

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Extended
6. Re: DOOM Open Beta Extended Apr 18, 2016, 00:38 Overon

CoD+Halo+Doom weapons=Doom Open Beta.  

News Comments > New John Romero PC Shooter Teased
16. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 16, 2016, 00:43 Overon

Can someone explain to me the backstory behind the "John Romero will make you his bitch" comment?  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2016, 13:04 Overon

RIAA knows a thing or two about rackets.  

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Status Report
6. Re: Tribes Ascend Status Report Apr 9, 2016, 21:37 Overon

I give them props.  

4195 Comments. 210 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo