Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Overon

Real Name Overon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 13, 2002, 02:16
Total Comments 4295 (Master)
User ID 14799

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed
6. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 9, 2019, 19:26 Overon

I like competition but not exclusivity. It should release for all platforms. Let them compete on price and features not whichever platform pays them the most money for exclusivity.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Special Editions
7. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Special Editions Jan 8, 2019, 22:55 Overon

Multiple edition. That's the way Piranha Games operates. They act like a Triple A developers when it comes to monetization. I still remember the $500 Golden Mech models in Mechwarrior Online.  

News Comments > G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors
4. Re: G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 7, 2019, 11:05 Overon

If you want quality gaming monitors going through a hardcore review process:
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/by-usage/gaming

News Comments > Metacritic's Best Video Games List
5. Re: Metacritic's Best Video Games List Jan 3, 2019, 16:20 Overon

My opinions are clearly out of line with the critics.  

News Comments > Epic Launching App Store
8. Re: Epic Launching App Store Dec 31, 2018, 16:21 Overon

I wonder if these forays will last. I hope they do because competition is needed. Effective competition is good.  

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Video
4. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Video Dec 28, 2018, 13:49 Overon

If it wasn't Piranha games, I would be more excited. But a Mechwarrior single player game is better than no Mechwarrior single player game. At least this keeps the franchise alive.  

News Comments > Beyond Good and Evil 2 Solo Play Requires Internet
33. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Solo Play Requires Internet Dec 23, 2018, 08:36 Overon

Quinn wrote on Dec 22, 2018, 20:01:
Always buys the games he plays. Check.

PC always connected to the internet. Check.

I am genuinely wondering what the passes are about? Is it the fear that once the servers go flat, you lose the product you bought? Or is it that you are hardly ever connected to the internet? Both cases would be valid to complain, but I myself still only just care about whether the game will be good in the end (as an SP experience) or not...
It's a red flag to have an online always game which is a sequel to a game where this was not the case. The red flag is also because we have seen countless games have online always requirement and that is always a result of microstransaction and monetization schemes many of us object to.

18. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Solo Play Requires Internet Dec 22, 2018, 19:33 Overon

It's all about the "live services."  

4. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Solo Play Requires Internet Dec 22, 2018, 13:50 Overon

Hahahaha of course it does. Fuck you, we are UBISoft, that's why.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020
23. Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 21, 2018, 07:12 Overon

Is this the money that will make the game appear instead of a glorified tech demo?

Besides promises like "this ship will be available for purchase on x" or "we will have a new version of the tech demo available to backs on y" has CIG actually kept any MAJOR promises so far?

News Comments > PlanetSide Arena Announced
4. Re: PlanetSide Arena Announced Dec 13, 2018, 23:43 Overon

So they are taking a year old game and putting some game modes that took a few months of work to code? What the hell? Am I not understanding it?  

News Comments > ZeniMax and Facebook Settling VR Lawsuit
6. Re: ZeniMax and Facebook Settling VR Lawsuit Dec 12, 2018, 17:51 Overon

So Carmack stole shit when he left?  

News Comments > Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Goes Back to Ubersreik
2. Re: Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Goes Back to Ubersreik Dec 10, 2018, 18:56 Overon

I thought they would have learned from the first DLC for Vermintide 2. 2 Maps and a bunch of weapons that now glow purple instead of red for $10.

So instead they release 3 recycled maps from Vermintide 1 and a new 5 weapons. Amazing work. No discount for Vermintide 1 owners and charge $10. Not only that that they change their DLC policy so that now you need to have a friend with the map based DLC in order to play that map if you don't yourself have the DLC. And to top it all off they think we are stupid and say "But for Vermintide 2, when we released our first DLC 'Shadows over Bögenhafen', we received feedback from our players that, because of how Quickplay works, the value proposition of our DLCs wasn't all that clear.
So for this release, we're changing how access to DLC missions works. From now on, in order to host a Custom game with a DLC mission, or have that mission be selected for Quickplay - you, or another player in your Keep, will have to own that DLC."
Yes exactly, it's the players that wanted to pay for the DLC. The players never wanted to be able to play the DLC in quick play and custom games without first buying it, like they were able to before this change. Oh thank Fatshark, thank you so much for this change, it's what the players wanted. You are so benevolent.

News Comments > Warhammer Vermintide 2 Goes Back to Ubersreik Next Week
2. Re: Warhammer Vermintide 2 Goes Back to Ubersreik Next Week Dec 6, 2018, 17:33 Overon

This is going to cost money? I already have paid for the maps win Vermintide 1. The DLC in Vermintide 2 has been severely lacking. It's pure lazy cash grabs with little to show for it.  

News Comments > Insurgency: Sandstorm Open Beta This Weekend
2. Re: Insurgency: Sandstorm Open Beta This Weekend Dec 4, 2018, 17:53 Overon

No weapon unlocks? Am I in the 90's again? Free DLC? I must be in the 90's again.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
3. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Dec 3, 2018, 17:34 Overon

Ray tracing is great if you can do it at 60 FPS.  

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in September
22. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in September Dec 2, 2018, 22:02 Overon

Warskull wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 21:13:
Overon wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 11:58:
Expectations are low since Piranha games is a 3rd rate developer

Don't forget Piranha games is all the same people from Jarhead games. They had to shutdown and open a new studio because they destroyed their reputation so badly no one would work with them.

The games they made back then weren't just 3rd rate, they were abysmal. Piranha games is a collection of 3rd rate devs who were reach the point where they were considered unhireable, propped up by the Mechwarrior license.
I did not know this, so what you are saying is that they are not even 2nd rate devs, but 3rd rate.

11. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in September Dec 2, 2018, 15:20 Overon

Primalchrome wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 14:53:
Overon wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 14:11:
to blame crotchety old grognards for the Mechwarrior IP floundering and being sold to second rate studios has cause and effect backwards. Mechwarrior was not always developed by second rate studios. After it became less simulation and more arcade like, that's when the PC crotchety grognards got upset.
For the record, I rank myself in the crochety old grognard category as well. I've been playing Battletech since the 80's and Mechwarrior since it's initial release. If you pay attention to the fan forums for both you find the exact same loud and obnoxious chatter. "They can't change anything because it's not how *I* used to play it." Hence the fact that the Tabletop rules are almost the same as they were 30 years ago with only incremental improvements. The rules are crunchy, granular, counterintuitive, and slow. Most TT gamers now don't have six hours to play one scenario....but no one can change the rules because the old school core group raises hell. And since it's clunky and dated....there is no new blood wanting to play. So the playerbase dwindles, and those left still want to use their Battletech Compendium from 1990, so there's not enough new sales to generate new content. Kind of familiar territory when you look at Mechwarrior from 2001-2013. (sidenote, Alpha Strike took the pendulum swing way to far the other direction, but at least we saw some funds for the new BT boxed sets coming out)

Overon wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 14:11:
You can't ignore your core fans by trying to appeal to the more casual people in order to try to expand your audience. You risk alienating your core audience. It almost never works
But MWO alone proves this statement wrong. It has pushed the IP forward and done more for it in the last five years than anything in the last 17 years. It reinvigorated many people from the old fan base and brought in tens of thousands of new players over the years. Unless, you think that the XBox MechAssault title was an amazing bit of work that really brought BT/MW to the masses?

The reality, whether I want it or not, is that Sims are a niche market...and Battletech is a niche of that niche. We will probably never see a two inch thick manual for Falcon 4.0 again. My 3.0 box will always sit on the shelf with no future. But we do see a metric shit ton of traffic/money/development for World of Tanks or War Thunder with it's faster pseudo-sim gameplay. Money fuels development.
I acknowledge your point and I can see examples when you are correct. I guess I'm focusing on the worst case scenario. I have seen the Dawn of War franchise destroyed because the developer wanted to expand the appeal of the game and removed what made Dawn of War unique and different and alienated the core audience. Maybe with Mechwarrior the only place to go is up, it can't get much worse. I still think that a better developer should have the license. On the upside if it turns out Mechwarrior 5 exceeds my expectations I will be very happy to be wrong.

8. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in September Dec 2, 2018, 14:11 Overon

Primalchrome wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 13:14:
Poor video....horrible 80's rock for the soundtrack....par for the course. Engine/graphics aren't all that impressive, but looks like it could be fun.

That said, I'm looking forward to it. It won't be a day one purchase, I'll have to see plenty of streams and let's plays for me to finally pull the trigger. They've proven that they can do the combat, graphics, etc....but my biggest question is the AI. That will be the make or break for this. PGI did a pretty good job on MWO...not stellar...but pretty good. This looks to capture the same look and feel. Lights will be fast and nimble, assaults will be ponderous but devastating after lock on. And they were responsible for bringing the Unseen back....so that gets them some credit.

Regardless of who made it and if it was perfect or not...everyone should be ready for the legion of bitchy old grognards with their "this ain't *MY* Mechwarrior/Battletech" line. Always intent on damaging the IP they hold so dear in the hopes of making it so troublesome and unprofitable that NO studio will touch it. What a great life quest for miserable schmucks with nothing better to do with their lives? This is the main reason that the tabletop IP has floundered just as the digital IP goes to second rate studios.
While you do make some good points and I'm sure there is merit to what you say to some degree, to blame crotchety old grognards for the Mechwarrior IP floundering and being sold to second rate studios has cause and effect backwards. Mechwarrior was not always developed by second rate studios. After it became less simulation and more arcade like, that's when the PC crotchety grognards got upset.

You can't ignore your core fans by trying to appeal to the more casual people in order to try to expand your audience. You risk alienating your core audience. It almost never works, especially if it's a niche genre to being with.

7. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in September Dec 2, 2018, 14:03 Overon

Shock wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 13:23:
Overon wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 11:58:
I hate to be a debby downer but this looks like a slightly upgraded MWO engine. There is no heft to the mechs, no feeling of mass. They run around like little toys.

It's actually a completely different engine. MWO uses Crytech and MW5 will be Unreal 5.

It's actually a completely different engine. MWO uses Crytech and MW5 will be Unreal 5.
But it looks almost exactly the same. The models look higher resolution and the textures too bu they are reused Mechwarrior Online and the only major thing I see are destructible buildings, which I have to say is a welcome edition.

4295 Comments. 215 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo