Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1736 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance

7. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 10, 2019, 18:58 DG

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 20:17:
DG wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 20:02:
Do the authenticators only work for apps/accounts that support them, and do they only support specific apps? The only one I have seems to be specific.
Yes, Yubikey only works with apps/accounts that support them. However, the number of supported site/apps is fairly numerous. Probably all he had to do was have it on his G-mail and they wouldn't have gotten the other information they needed.
Or are we securing up the chain by locking e.g. sim account to a phone and in turn locking phone account to the 2FA?
I'm not sure what you are asking here? The Yubikey acts as a physical 2FA, so even if they steal your phone they don't get into other accounts.
cheers

yeah you answered my Q with your first comment, the 2FA can provide some benefit to unsupported app accounts by securing gmail i.e. the forgot password weakness.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance

3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 9, 2019, 20:02 DG

Do the authenticators only work for apps/accounts that support them, and do they only support specific apps? The only one I have seems to be specific.

Or are we securing up the chain by locking e.g. sim account to a phone and in turn locking phone account to the 2FA?

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits

4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 3, 2019, 18:24 DG

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 3, 2019, 13:17:
DG wrote on Nov 3, 2019, 12:43:
I've lost touch with tech, whats the best bang for buck platform for AMD and Intel these days?

I'll keep my GTX970 so just cpu, MB and RAM.

The AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X on the AMD side.
thanks, reviews look good

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits

1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 3, 2019, 12:43 DG

I've lost touch with tech, whats the best bang for buck platform for AMD and Intel these days?

I'll keep my GTX970 so just cpu, MB and RAM.

I have a 2500+ with a good oc that frankly is still fine as my gaming is pretty much limited to Civ these days, but I have to leave Win7 behind and I'd want it to last.

News Comments > PlanetSide 3 Plans Confirmed

5. Re: PlanetSide 3 Plans Confirmed Oct 20, 2019, 18:39 DG

Planetside 2... best worst game ever, or worst best game ever. Never could decide.  

News Comments > Op Ed

13. Re: Op Ed Jan 12, 2019, 19:35 DG

There isn't much wrong with that article. Key word is "binge" - though I guess people define that in different ways. I don't think they over-sell the issues and “gaming takes precedence over other interests and daily activities" is a good quote, though it could do with some expansion on the theme of everything in moderation and perhaps touching on the possibility of there being underlying issues for which gaming is an escape.

The article also correctly concludes it's a child behaviour and parenting issue about setting limits, rather than trotting out something about games being bad or the even game publishers out to steal your kid's brains or whatever.

News Comments > EVGA NU Audio Card Announced

14. Re: EVGA NU Audio Card Announced Jan 9, 2019, 15:41 DG

I had one of the Audigy cards too, such a good upgrade and lasted for so many builds.

I thought the use of discrete cards kind of fizzled out around Win...7?

Current build has a lot of background noise from the front ports though, and I can't see any obvious wiring issues.

NO price on this but fair guess it'll be expensive. Any ideas for say £50 / $65 these days? Only have £50 earphones and debating ~£100 cans so not much point going higher.

News Comments > Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes

17. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 11, 2018, 13:41 DG

Chipp0r wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 13:19:
I assume this is because of the new EU directive on data (GDPR) as it becomes enforceable in May.

Many companies are beefing up their account options to allow better visibility of what data they collect and give users control over it.
Yeah this, the UK implementation at least is substantially stricter and enforceable with much bigger fines than we had previously - which I read was already much more than the data protection in US.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization

3. Re: SIM cards Feb 21, 2018, 13:41 DG

Creston wrote on Feb 21, 2018, 12:48:
Erm, and then what do you do when you need to get a new SIM installed in a phone? Buy a new phone?
download it via wifi?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

15. Re: RAM Matters: How Much Do You Need for Gaming? 4GB, 8GB, 16GB or 32GB. Dec 11, 2017, 18:20 DG

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 18:04:
2 questions.
I've been out of the loop on hardware for a bit, but I think the answer might still depend on what you're running the cpu at. I don't think it matters as much as once upon a time, but I think there's still diminishing returns from having ram bus speed higher than cpu bus. So I think they're going to ask you what you're running your cpu at.

Or I'm interested in whether that still matters, anyway...

News Comments > Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier

12. Re: Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier Nov 23, 2017, 15:46 DG

Cutter wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 13:04:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 12:26:
That sucks. It's one thing to be told the party's over, it's last call, get your shit together soon... But then you're sacked 5 weeks early with no severance or anything? Time to lawyer up, if there's anyone left to sue.

It's pointless. Employees are always last to get anything if anything is left. That's something the law should have been changed on, everywhere, long ago. The reality is you can be terminated at any time without notice and there's sweet FA you can do about it. The only time a labor lawyer will do anything is if you're an exec and you have stock, etc.
Here in UK the employees are 2nd in the queue, only secured creditors are in front of them - though this is usually a major creditor (the bank loan) with security over the major asset (property).

News Comments > Out of the Blue

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 08:23 DG

Armistice Day is a fairly big deal here in UK, though more so Remembrance Sunday. The Royal British Legion and their poppy appeal is due a lot of credit for that, the poppy has lent itself well regularly to some installations such as this one at the Tower of London a few years back https://youtu.be/KMxF3L2G0-4  

News Comments > Play Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for Free

14. Re: Play Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for Free Oct 26, 2017, 18:08 DG

ItBurn wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 15:38:
DG wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 13:29:
this OK base game without any DLC? the season pass bundle is £18 which I'm balking at for a "on offer" price s I don't have much time for gaming anymore but I did like DX:HR.

On bit of an old machine too I guess, 2400+ @4ghx and a GTX970. I even had to run CPUID to check that

The DLC are separate from the main game, so you can't carry your character. I didn't play the DLC myself and I thought it was worth it.

thanks!

News Comments > Play Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for Free

11. Re: Play Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for Free Oct 25, 2017, 13:29 DG

this OK base game without any DLC? the season pass bundle is £18 which I'm balking at for a "on offer" price s I don't have much time for gaming anymore but I did like DX:HR.

On bit of an old machine too I guess, 2400+ @4ghx and a GTX970. I even had to run CPUID to check that

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2017, 18:09 DG

Hmm, pretty sure I'd read something science-y that dogs can tilt their heads to more precisely locate the origin of a sound. A physical explanation broadly similar to triangulating on the vertical axis. Though, they then went on to say that didn't exclude the possibility that dogs formed a habit out of it when curious about certain things. So who knows, maybe they've taken it a step further and have formed it into their body language. It all seems like conjecture.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization

5. Re: Saturday Mobilization May 21, 2017, 07:39 DG

Studios and distributors. Perhaps partly to do with piracy risk but I'm thinking very much due to regional restrictions. It's very important to the industry structure to be able to control distribution rights and region-locking is integral to that. Region-locking by where you're connecting to the internet from means you can't pre-load videos before you go on holidays.  

News Comments > Civilization VI Fall Update

9. Re: Civilization VI Fall Update Nov 19, 2016, 11:12 DG

Fixed an issue where AI would counter gold changes with the change desired, rather than the total amount of gold desired.

Kind of sad they fixed that, given how much of a dick the AI can be at trades.

News Comments > Civilization VI Fall Update

8. Re: Civilization VI Fall Update Nov 19, 2016, 11:09 DG

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 07:19:
Numinar wrote on Nov 18, 2016, 21:31:
The game is ready before the narration ends in the largest map size
Oh wow, not for me.
What kind of CPU and video card do you have?
I am running an i5-2500k OC to 4.5 and 970GTX.
Looking at the CPU utilization it is only at 30% load.

From the menu screen to load into game it literally takes a couple of minutes.
It is a pretty late game I am loading in, nearly at the very end of my first play through but still the load time is ridiculously long.

Similar spec and load times to me (though oc at 4.4). Loading saves goes quite a bit beyond finishing the script, and it doesn't seem to matter much what stage the game is at. Turns however are perfectly fine, even in this late game huge marathon, fps always at the lcoked 30, but there can be a lag occasionally when it jumps from one side of the map to the other if there's a lot of units around.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI Released

26. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2016, 11:44 DG

I got burned on BE and balked at the UK price, but folks seem to be pleased with it and I found a more reasonable price for deluxe via GMG. If they bilk me with horse armour DLC using up the deluxe allowance I think I'll be done with Civ series though.  

44. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2016, 12:01 DG

Not sure how long I've been coming here. I think my first comment was probably something to do with Operation Flashpoint (2001) [I guess via a previous account, back when we had to remember passwords] but I was lurking for a long time before that. Well before the millennium anyways, I remember Frans' time.

Big Frank wrote on Oct 9, 2016, 15:25:
Just realized I never whitelisted this site in my ad blocker and after coming here regularly since '99.

Whitelisting now!
I recommend anyone else who wants to celebrate the 20 year anniversary to whitelist this site in their adblocker.
Been whitelisted for a long time, though some still get blocked because 3rd party.

1736 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >