Descending
Limit Results:

20 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: The Yanks Clinch!
Sep 25, 2003, 11:53
Re: The Yanks Clinch! Sep 25, 2003, 11:53
Sep 25, 2003, 11:53

As a Mets fan, I am eternally spoiled. Bob Murphy and Gary Cohen are simply the best of the best when it comes to play by play over the radio. Even if we don't have the best team, the boys across the bridge couldn't even hold Murphy or Cohen's jockstrap as far as knowledge, entertainment value and straight up 'throwback' type of calls (sterling has good calls on big plays, thats about it).

Thanks for mentioning this, Blue. Bob is a classic in every sense. I grew up listening to Bob Ueker in Milwaukee - and while he is a throwback also (actually, I've never heard him try to be funny during a broadcast - surprising, eh?), he was the best I had heard until I moved to the NY sports market.

The only thing I regret as a Murph die-hard supporter is that you almost NEVER hear his brilliant play by play anywhere, except on WFAN (i.e. sportscenter, classic sports, etc, etc). He never got as big as Jack Buck (Buck also did brilliant football play by play), but in my opinion, was a cut of the same thing that makes the great play by play men great -- and thats their ability to paint the game into your mind and believe you were there. It was NEVER about ego, or about the broadcaster - it was about baseball or the event that they were calling.

Sadly, shmucks like Joe Buck, Costas and all the other network tools have degraded the profession, by putting themselves above the game and by scripting out their 'classic calls' prior to when they happen. Thankfully ESPN does have some very good play-by-play men for TV, at least. I just wish there were more like the Murph. Even though my Mets are long and dead and buried and then had their graves pissed on by the bloody Yankees, I still listen to their games on the radio - and it's because of Bob Murphy.

I'll miss you, Bob. Thank you for thousands of nights of me drinking some MGD, sitting outside and listening to the Mets lose. That, to me, is what summer is always about.

Re: May she rest in peace
Sep 20, 2003, 17:44
Re: May she rest in peace Sep 20, 2003, 17:44
Sep 20, 2003, 17:44

I just wanted to send my best wishes, Blue. We're all very saddened by what has happened to Mama Blue. It was very hard coming to your site and waiting on potentially good news.

I send my sincerest condolences to you and your family.
-McBain

Re: This isn't the 1st time.
Apr 19, 2003, 10:50
Re: This isn't the 1st time. Apr 19, 2003, 10:50
Apr 19, 2003, 10:50

My nephew is 10 years old. I don't want him buying 'M' rated games - just as his mother doesn't want him playing them. I think it's appropriate to make it tough on youths buying mature content. The full-ban on sale to minors is TOO far.

Could you imagine it if your 9 yr old went to the store with his friends and one of their parents and came home with a copy of doa xtreme beach volleyball?

I like boobies as much as the next guy, but I'd rather help corrupt my kid into objectifying women than some game company. Thats not censorship, thats just good parenting.

I do think it's crappy that it labels ALL games. The ESRB did have a chance to make a splash - it's just no one really payed attention to it outside of 1% of the population (if that). I think it's a good affirmative action move to get parents involved more in their children's lives... Seeing as it's bad parents who make kids who 'go columbine'.

The industry will suffer, but MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, 1 child will grow up with parents who give a crap about them more than prior to this legislation. That makes it worth it IMO. But then I want a cap on politician salaries, and make it a working class salary. The populace makes a sacrifice - then they gotta make one, too.
Then again, maybe I'm being too idealistic.
I probably am.

Re: NICE!
Apr 18, 2003, 12:55
Re: NICE! Apr 18, 2003, 12:55
Apr 18, 2003, 12:55

How do you say en englais.... A day late and a dollar short?

Re: about time
Jan 8, 2003, 14:11
Re: about time Jan 8, 2003, 14:11
Jan 8, 2003, 14:11

I stopped mapping for this game due to the fact you couldn't mod anything really. Mappers could hack SOME stuff in, and scripters did some stuff I didn't think was possible...
But at this point, it's too late. The Mod types are long gone and building with something a lot more advanced in the latest UT build.

Re: Hmm...
Dec 30, 2002, 12:58
Re: Hmm... Dec 30, 2002, 12:58
Dec 30, 2002, 12:58

another 'tidbit' on bullettime
the first game to actually incorporate anything like that INTO gameplay was 3do's Requiem, which was somewhere around 5 years or so ago. Awesome shooter. I loved it. However, it sold about 1k copies and the multiplayer was pitiful.

Re: Everything is ok!
Dec 13, 2002, 13:22
Re: Everything is ok! Dec 13, 2002, 13:22
Dec 13, 2002, 13:22

they finally fixed it so us non-subscribing ghetto-ass mofos may check it out
that sux you have to enter your cc info, tho

Re: Earth & Beyond Demo
Dec 10, 2002, 12:09
Re: Earth & Beyond Demo Dec 10, 2002, 12:09
Dec 10, 2002, 12:09

I waited 4 hrs in line to get the demo, and 3 hrs longer than i wanted to stay up.

Kudos to the baboon jerkwater newb PR girl who doesn't know that 'subscription' and 'registered' are two DIFFERENT words. Fileplanet is f'n stupid, also. What a waste of bandwidth heh.

Re: No subject
Dec 9, 2002, 14:46
Re: No subject Dec 9, 2002, 14:46
Dec 9, 2002, 14:46

While UT2k3 is easily the best looking shooter ever (actually, by a TON), I have to say the game is lacking in the 'fun' department aside from your standard deathmatch. What made the original UT was quality modes (ie assault and domination). The new domination is terrible, the CTF is pretty good, but there are some 'mail in' maps in that cycle. The bombing run mode has great potential and is a rather brilliant idea I first recall seeing back in Quake 2 with Powerball (woo powerball!!!!!!!!! best mod ever)... It's just... what the crap were they thinking with the maps? Those are just ctf maps IMO and don't really get the most out of this mode.

Frankly, I am not interested in the new maps/mode, because they aren't going to add the pure fun UT provided. Funny part is, it seems there are more UT servers than 2K3 ones. Tells ya somethin, huh?

Re: what games you playing?
Dec 2, 2002, 10:48
Re: what games you playing? Dec 2, 2002, 10:48
Dec 2, 2002, 10:48

I thought Sopranos was ending after 4 seasons.
I don't keep up on that sort of thing generally, but it would suck to lengthen the pain of what has become that show.

Re: Speaking as a Vietnamese...
Nov 19, 2002, 19:31
Re: Speaking as a Vietnamese... Nov 19, 2002, 19:31
Nov 19, 2002, 19:31

lol, good snag on the 1st airborn cav
haha
i'm sure they use rocket launchers in the game and your object is to kill babies and stuff.

Platoon was a laughable movie, and this game is most likely even more laughable... But it might be fun, although, it's doubtful. Even so, it IS just a game.. But now to rant some..

Speaking of bad wargames, anyone ever check out operation normandy? It's a fps using the first (99% sure) lithtech engine. You wanna talk about bad.

BTW, it would be very hard to design a game being in any of the factions/organizations fighting the americans, because while their ideals were similar, their practice/tactics were all so different. You could never capture the flavor of that era in one game, because it's so incredibly varied - on both sides.

Our tainted perceptions by UNEDUCATED and IRESPONSIBLE morons (Read: Oliver Stone) have cast an image of a conflict that is so vastly untrue and so hollywood and so pseudo 'i got smarts yo', it's a disgrace to the poor soldiers who were sent there by our government, the men and women who gave their lives, and the pure insult to everyones intelligence. Just taking that license shows me that whoever negotiated it for this game is really dumb, but then again, being a history nerd on that era just jades me seeing such garbage. And yes, I hate hippy morons, also.

-Mc
Your resident Vietnam war era/South East Asia historical expert

Re: Sopranos
Nov 11, 2002, 14:24
Re: Sopranos Nov 11, 2002, 14:24
Nov 11, 2002, 14:24

I really don't know whats going on with this show. The episodes are alright, but theres 0 closure on anything. It's always open-ended closure, which to me, is giving your audience too much credit. Granted, it's nice to realize what the storyteller is doing - it still misses that 'visual recognition' that helped make previous episodes of the show so much stronger. Tony leaves cool exclamation points.:>

One of my other beefs, and last night's episode is definitly an exception, is that the storylines are just so stupid, and too many. The first season was small. You cared about EVERY character. There wasn't a ton going on for storylines, and it always felt hovered around a few characters.

Now I love the character Pauly, he's great... But to me, doing ANY stories about him - unless the episode is focused around him (i.e. the episode where him and chris got stuck out in the snow..haha, that one ruled), or it's something involving a main character, he shoudln't be in it - period. Last week's thing with his mom was entertaining and neat for his character, however, he's NOT a major character, just a supplemental one. So, my point is, whoever is making episodes keeps forgetting what made the show great - and last night got back to what made the show great... And thats sticking with the MAJOR characters and keeping the story simple.

Now, if they'd just write janice off the show....

Re: UGO's Unreal 2 story
Nov 7, 2002, 15:02
Re: UGO's Unreal 2 story Nov 7, 2002, 15:02
Nov 7, 2002, 15:02

$heet happens, but as that old adage goes:
"check the facts"

Hate to say it but, with no patience to make sure everything was kosher, you did what most web journalists do... Theres a rapid decline in journalistic integrity and this happens often on the web, sadly.

Rule #1 of journalism is to ALWAYS check the facts - even if it's off a press release
Rule #2 of journalism is to ALWAYS site the source of the facts

Being UGO does not give journalistic license to be cited as an 'industry source', hence skipping attribution. It's just journalistic integrity and my 2 cents. Better luck in getting help from Infogrames/Epic in the future. Getting answers is very hard sometimes, and unless you're a major major news source, it's hard to get the things needed to get your story done. Hopefully they will be more responsive in the future.... It would be nice if these companies hired PR people who KNOW about the games they are rep'n for - as opposed to just being stupid spin doctor face people. That always irritated me as a journalist.

Re: No subject
Nov 6, 2002, 15:54
Re: No subject Nov 6, 2002, 15:54
Nov 6, 2002, 15:54

I think the real question here is, IS Saddam a threat to 1 person in this nation?
I think that answer is yes. From reports that seem to have been on back pages and got no media play (much like how noriega testified the us gov't purchased millions in drugs from him - but ironically, the gulf war started that day), and no one noticed til Sept 11th of last year in the general populous. Saddam has threatened terror against US and US interest and also has been developing weapons to help his cause.

I'm against war as much as the next guy, but I think that we do have to protect against the threat of chemical agents killing innocent people in this country - even if it means killing innocent Iraquis. I hate saying that, I really do, but I think it's a human instinct to protect your home at all costs. And America is my home.

In the wake of Sept 11, I'd prefer us being 'global bullies' as opposed to 'global policemen who don't get anything done'.

I just wish there was options that didn't involve taking any human life. Thats what gaming is for...
Maybe we should set up a game of Q3A - Saddam vs W, Winner take all.

Re: A Few things...
Nov 6, 2002, 15:17
Re: A Few things... Nov 6, 2002, 15:17
Nov 6, 2002, 15:17

True, the game was very fun and playable... I only played on Darktide, where 'flaws' get pushed to the extreme limits and exploited to the fullest.

The design was incredibly idealistic and not realistic and founders of turbine will tell you that. It was their lack of ability to adapt the system flaws that destroyed their credibility IMO. Much of what they say they 'couldn't' do, they miraculously found a way to fix later on down the line.

If the game thats there today was how it was when it released, it would be a fantastic game. There were maybe 20 monsters in the game (plus variations of the same thing) when it shipped... Thats a joke, considering the scope of the landmass.

Incidentally, the ONE thing AC did well was create a MASSIVE world people could explore. Despite the system being highly flawed, it was a ton of fun to play in as a lowbie - even though there was 0 reward for your risk in most spots. There also were a ton (albeit crappy 10 minute made) dungeons, that was cool. The design was just terrible, however. Overtime, this did get fixed, but I'm highly disappointed that developers ship titles that offer pure garbage and force gamers to wait awhile before depth and GREAT content to show up. By that point, the devs are playing catch-up, which is the fastest way to lose subscribers.

When AC 2 ships, most of the fundamentals in the game will need patching immediatly. Not to mention monster AI? LOL, you've got to be kidding me. It's not even in the game yet. Thats sorry in my eyes. It's a shame, I love the genre, and I have a feeling that the lack of vision in this title is going to kill it. AC had lots of vision, but that released how long ago?

There just isn't any innovation to justify the cost, nor the gameplay. But I will say it's ahead of all the others right now, if only by an inch... The next gen of this genre is something gamers really deserve, not more of the same repackaged garbage IMO.

If Camelot wasn't run by a pack of liars with 0 idea on how to harness player vs player conflict and build in that direciton - instead of building 'safe zones' for 'leveling treadmill item farmers', that game would be king - but simply put, they have no sound direction with that game, and it's really a pile of garbage compared to where it could be - had they stuck with their party line all through beta.

Tragic, almost.

Re: AC content
Nov 6, 2002, 12:42
Re: AC content Nov 6, 2002, 12:42
Nov 6, 2002, 12:42

well, how long did it take to fix major system issues in AC? over 2 years...
I don't understand why you would TOTALLY change the game 2 years after release instead of making the changes shortly after the game ships...
OR (godforbid) do high level beta testing. I don't understand why ORPG dev houses are so incredibly dumb that they balance the game for those who are playing it for the first month - and thats it. If theres any lesson to be learned, games start when your character maxes out or achieves near that level (in early AC, casting 6s was it). You balance the game backwords from that... Because that is what will happen anyway.

Also, more powergaming types should be lured, even paid to beta these games - afterall, they are the ones who cause the greatest impact in the design of the 'Live' teams that add monthly content.

Look, Turbine did the best with what they had. They did add sweet content... But it took 2-3 years to do things that they KNEW could've been fixed prior to release - but didn't. Thats unacceptable to me as a gamer and a consumer. Consumers let these dev houses get away with FAR too much. Face it,we're all guilty for betaing games and PAYING to do it - not the other way around. AC 2 will not be any different in this regard - sadly.:/ (I do think Turbine is the best dev house for this genre in the world, and yet I still kill them... this genre has a long way to go)

Re: and...
Nov 5, 2002, 18:40
Re: and... Nov 5, 2002, 18:40
Nov 5, 2002, 18:40

:"...A large online world where many people can interact and cooperate to achieve a common goal"

Not to stir the pot, but if those games were like that - they would be more fun. It's in human nature to be a sheep or be a leader. And the leaders in that genre are people who can play 80 hours/week - not necessarily the most intelligent or best gaming leaders. Because of that, there is a huge problem with cooperation. Frankly, the games don't harness cooperation enough and when those times come for people to unite, it's nothing more than a sheepish novelty that means little to nothing.

I really wish that statement were true. The sad reality is, for the most part, cooperation is only is as good as the guy playing the female avatar that some teenager wants to cyb0r OR as good as the phat lewtz the "career gamers" get. The only time it's actually true is when there is a small group of people who play for each other - and those situations are few and far between.

Re: and...
Nov 5, 2002, 18:27
Re: and... Nov 5, 2002, 18:27
Nov 5, 2002, 18:27

I think politics and community are about as fun as mmporpgs get..
The fact you spend 13 bux for so little gaming is a load of rich creamery butter...
AC 2 is so ripped off from other games, it's sad. It's gonna bomb, just like AC did vs the EQ/UO juggernauts.

Sadly, UO STILL has the most gameplay in the genre. AC has a lot of good stuff, but for every good thing, theres a fatal flaw.

Wait 5 yrs, maybe there will be something worth playing again that captured our imaginations like UO did when it first released.

Re: Please Vote America!
Nov 5, 2002, 15:25
Re: Please Vote America! Nov 5, 2002, 15:25
Nov 5, 2002, 15:25

I don't mean to get all Brewsters Millionesque here but...
I really wish they would put a selection in each category you vote in for "none of the above".

Being a CT voter is very hard this term. All our House of Reps people are fat filthy liars and both candidates for Governer are full of BS. I wish I could be governor for 8 years and do nothing but have 10 or so mayors in my state go to prison.

ahh!
Sep 30, 2002, 15:16
ahh! Sep 30, 2002, 15:16
Sep 30, 2002, 15:16

Man, I finally had put out of my mind said 'incident' in Sopranos... I've been watching the show EVERY sunday since it came out, only missing 3 on the first night they aired (not by choice, I was without cable for 3 weeks:/).

The character of Janice has ruined that show for me week in/week out. And now a GOOD episode was lost to some crap I can't believe I even saw. I wish they'd get rid of her again. Grrrrr. Man, that scene has scared me also.

20 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older