Total Posts
281 (Amateur)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

281 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 10.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ] Older

Re: No subject
Sep 25, 2005, 18:29
Re: No subject Sep 25, 2005, 18:29
Sep 25, 2005, 18:29

I guess Heather can do this one:
http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=4621123663119520922

We need more females around here.

I agree. I'll try and rope my hot female galpals to come on over. Seriously, I have them. Unfortunately, most of them spend their spare time CTFing or fragging away...

By the by:
Katharine Hepburn
You scored 19% grit, 9% wit, 61% flair, and 23% class!
You are the fabulously quirky and independent woman of character. You go your own way, follow your own drummer, take your own lead. You stand head and shoulders next to your partner, but you are perfectly willing and able to stand alone. Others might be more classically beautiful or conventionally woman-like, but you possess a more fundamental common sense and off-kilter charm, making interesting men fall at your feet. You can pick them up or leave them there as you see fit. You share the screen with the likes of Spencer Tracy and Cary Grant, thinking men who like strong women.
Beauty is truth; truth beauty - that is all ye need to know on earth...except TCP/IP.

Sep 22, 2005, 16:49
Re: No subject Sep 22, 2005, 16:49
Sep 22, 2005, 16:49

The 4-cylinder doesn't feel sluggish (to me). And Zathrus is often envious that I can gas up with regular unleaded while his 6-cylinder Maxima requires premium gas.

I just think that if you are looking for a long-term reliable car, Toyotas are the way to go.
Beauty is truth; truth beauty - that is all ye need to know on earth...except TCP/IP.

Sep 22, 2005, 16:33
Re: No subject Sep 22, 2005, 16:33
Sep 22, 2005, 16:33

Would a Cadillac CTS be considered "part of the problem"?

It's a midsize sedan (think Camry-sized) with V6 and an EPA estimated of 18mpg city / 27mpg highway. While not the most fuel efficient car out there it's emissions rating is quite good considering.

Part of me wants to get a Camry (4/cyl) or the Civic Hybrid.

Allow me a second to rave about the 4-cylinder Camry. I have the LE model with remote keyless access. I love this car. It feels luxury, even though it cost less than 20k (in 2002). It's been rather reliable, and it is better on gas than the Caddy. I get roughly 24.5 mpg in the city (heavily clogged Atlanta commuting). It's been so long since I've done just interstate driving, I don't know the number.

Give the Camry a try. It's more reliable than the Caddy, that's for sure.

Re: Pirate Name
Sep 19, 2005, 21:38
Re: Pirate Name Sep 19, 2005, 21:38
Sep 19, 2005, 21:38

Argh! M'name is Dread Pirate Bonney.

Shiver me Zathruses!

Sep 19, 2005, 15:47
Re: No subject Sep 19, 2005, 15:47
Sep 19, 2005, 15:47

Yarrrrrgh! Where is a bonny lass supposed to get her piratey news when Blue's is in Davy Jones's locker?

Re:
Sep 17, 2005, 09:17
Re: Sep 17, 2005, 09:17
Sep 17, 2005, 09:17

I think he's hinted previously, too subtly for a guy's hangout.

And thank you!

Re: Oh God.
Sep 14, 2005, 16:30
Re: Oh God. Sep 14, 2005, 16:30
Sep 14, 2005, 16:30

The "under God" was not part of the original Pledge of Allegiance though. It was added in 1957.

Personally, I don't have an issue with it being removed, but since this country is heading towards a theocracy, I'll just have to keep my opinions to myself.

Edit: Or maybe 1954...
This comment was edited on Sep 14, 16:58.

Re: Off topic
Sep 9, 2005, 17:19
Re: Off topic Sep 9, 2005, 17:19
Sep 9, 2005, 17:19

The point is, they had days to evacuate and he starts crying for busses and supplies after he did nothing to actively evacuate people while staring into the headlights of a strong hurricane (until the final day). I don't care if 3 days before it hit it was only a CAT 2 or 3 - there was a reasonable and forseeable chance that it would hit near NO and possibly increase in strength before it hit. Why didn't he call for earlier evacuations and make the busses available for evacuating the poor?

Hawk, I'll field this one, having grown up in Florida.

Even with modern satellite imagery and computer models, they don't know where a hurricane will hit until roughly 24 hours ahead of time. (I think they have a certainty of 180 miles within that period.) So even if they evacuated 2 days ahead of time, there's 360 miles of possible variation. That's the difference between everything blown-down-gone-boom and just some rain. If you try to evacuate an area every time a hurricane MAY hit the area, you turn into Chicken Little.

Growing up in the Sunshine State, we were constantly under hurricane warnings. Most everyone I knew never ever evacuated. I remember families in my neighborhood being woken up by cops saying we were under mandatory evacuation. People still wouldn't leave. You'd put up some plywood, ensure you had plenty of bottled water, and the adults would throw a hurricane party. (And my parents/neighbors weren't poor or uneducated. Just desensitized to the monthly evacuation requests...)

Nagin (NO mayor) called for evacuations on Saturday. Most of the city that could afford to evacuate itself did. (Never once during mandatory evacuations in Florida were buses routed to pick people up for evacuation. You were responsible for getting yourself out. Unfortunately, in a very poor city, you're SOL as we are seeing in New Orleans.)

This is a widespread issue that we are starting to realize. As a country, we've been blessed that our hurricanes have not had a high cost in terms of human life. Yeah, Andrew cost a lot of money, but it didn't kill that many. Katrina is going to change the way we think about hurricanes.

Now, back to some Bush-baiting... How 'come since 2001, 75% of FEMA's spending has been oriented towards terrorism? Did we just assume that we'd never get hurricanes, tornados, etc. again?

Re: Labour Day
Sep 6, 2005, 18:52
Re: Labour Day Sep 6, 2005, 18:52
Sep 6, 2005, 18:52

Thanks, Hawk. Enjoy the vacation!

Re: Wooot....
Aug 29, 2005, 19:44
Re: Wooot.... Aug 29, 2005, 19:44
Aug 29, 2005, 19:44

I have a 2002 Toyota Camry and really like it. Gets good gas mileage, and the LE model (basically the base model) feels really luxurious. It's not a cheap feeling car. It has a decent amount of zip and it's comfy.

Aug 23, 2005, 18:24
Re: Off topic Aug 23, 2005, 18:24
Aug 23, 2005, 18:24

I always "knew" that blood clots were a possibility from taking oral contraceptives, but I had no idea _3x_ as many from the patch. That's rarely advertised. :/

(Sorry I missed your earlier post with the links. I was very saddened by your wife's condition and relied upon Z to provide pertinent info on her situation. I'll kick his butt when he gets home tonight. )

Aug 23, 2005, 17:24
Re: Off topic Aug 23, 2005, 17:24
Aug 23, 2005, 17:24

I'm glad that your wife is doing better now, but I'm sorry that your future plans are changed.

As for the patch - wow. I haven't heard of that issue before. (But any birth control I don't have to take daily scares me. I know way too many women who can't have kids now after Depo Provera made them effectively infertile.)

I'm so thankful your wife is better.

Re: Kicking Horse Coffee
Aug 22, 2005, 16:34
Re: Kicking Horse Coffee Aug 22, 2005, 16:34
Aug 22, 2005, 16:34

I worked w/ a guy a few jobs ago, and every morning when he came to work, he had a 2 liter Mountain Dew under one arm. He would drink a 2 liter a day of that stuff...THAT'S a addict!

A former coworker of mine used to drink a 52 oz insulated mug of coffee by noon every day. Then he'd brew a pot at the office, and pour the entire pot into his mug for the afternoon.

He was rail-thin, and kind of shaky like a whippet.

Re: Killing off gaming on your network
Aug 5, 2005, 16:18
Re: Killing off gaming on your network Aug 5, 2005, 16:18
Aug 5, 2005, 16:18

Well, all Security policies and procedures begin with an Information Security Policy Manual which is developed with HR and Legal. (Good times, good times.)

As for #1 - developers are a slightly different beast. Their PCs are different. However, you can make a good business case for installing your brand new squeaky code. Quake? Not so much.

As for #2 and #3 - people don't realize that their behavior impacts the business until it's too late. Too often, we had to pull people up by their eyelashes and hear, "I had no idea!" Blah blah..easier to be strict and ease up then be easy and have to be meanies later on.

Flash games are a difficult area. That's where you rely on managers to actually, i dunno, manage their employees.

Re: Killing off gaming on your network
Aug 5, 2005, 11:48
Re: Killing off gaming on your network Aug 5, 2005, 11:48
Aug 5, 2005, 11:48

Here's a couple of reasons why a company may not want to allow gaming on the network (even if the employee's off work)...

1) Installation of nonstandard software on company machines. Sure, 99% of the code is pure and clean...probably. Some stupid kiddo could install some kewl game he found on a Korean website which turns out to be malware.
2) Just because you're off work doesn't mean everyone else is. Some games are really bandwidth intensive. You may slow down someone else's work.
3) Okay, let's say everyone's off work while you want to play. The machines aren't off work. Backups/etc are scheduled for low-user-usage times and tend to hog up lots of network utilization. So the backup slows down because there's a huge frag-fest. Backups don't get done and the machine goes down for another reason. (I've been there, done that.) Now you get to explain to users why their work wasn't stored on the network home servers.

-heather (why, yes, I used to work in security...)

Re: Warhawk...
Jul 16, 2005, 15:38
Re: Warhawk... Jul 16, 2005, 15:38
Jul 16, 2005, 15:38

Warhawk,

I'm praying for your wife and family. I hope it's quickly dealt with and Mrs Warhawk is home ASAP.

Re: Pets
Jul 5, 2005, 17:18
Re: Pets Jul 5, 2005, 17:18
Jul 5, 2005, 17:18

We have three happy cats that live a life of luxury

You can't justify this... well not to me, anyway. Not that you have to, of course. I wouldn't want to need to justify everything I do to random strangers on the internet.

It would get awfully tiring.

Seriously, I could make the argument that letting your cats go outside is cruel because they're more likely to get killed by traffic, coyotes (or whatever your outside cat-eating-creature is there), etc.

But I do respect your rights to treat your animals as you see fit. We do the same. Trust me, I wake up every morning to the cats drinking out of my water glass. *glares*

Re: Pets
Jul 5, 2005, 15:34
Re: Pets Jul 5, 2005, 15:34
Jul 5, 2005, 15:34

EDIT: Just read cecilkorik's post. It is what I think it is. You shouldn't be allowed to have animals. You shouldn't be allowed within a hundred feet of any animal. That's the most barbaric thing I've ever heard. You cat relies on her claws for doing a bunch of stuff, like catching food, scrathing, cleaning her fur, jumping, self defence, keeping her balance when walking... If you can't bear having some stuff scratched up, then don't have a cat. It really is that simple. Oh, and in case someone compares 'declawing' to fixing (or, really, breaking ), it's not the same thing at all.

EDIT again: Sorry for being so hostile. I have a friend who has a cat in her apartment (meaning the porr little bastard has to be inside all the time), and I really think that if your cat can't go outside and be a cat, then perhaps you shouldn't have a cat... Get a dog, maybe?

Okay, I'm going to try to be nice here, but I bet I'll fail.

In the US, cats that are outdoors have an average lifespan of 1 year. Indoor cats, 12+ years.

So we have 3 cats that are spoiled within an inch of their lives. One is going to be 9 this year, one 8, one 3.

Declawing was not the happiest choice in the world, but it made sense for us at the time. We have three happy cats that live a life of luxury. No, they can't scratch the shit out of each other, our furniture, or our toddler.

However, we'll have them much longer than if we let them go in and out.

Re: New kitten
Jun 24, 2005, 16:52
Re: New kitten Jun 24, 2005, 16:52
Jun 24, 2005, 16:52

What an adorable kitten! Poor thing has been very malnourished.

Those eyes are haunting. She's definitely going to be a great companion to you!

Re: New cat
Jun 24, 2005, 16:47
Re: New cat Jun 24, 2005, 16:47
Jun 24, 2005, 16:47

Enahs,

Good for you. You're a real man, versus those murderous thug teenagers.

-h
281 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 10.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ] Older