Descending
Limit Results:

132 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older

helicopter video
Jan 12, 2004, 18:38
helicopter video Jan 12, 2004, 18:38
Jan 12, 2004, 18:38

That video really sickened me. I was expecting combat kills between helicopters, not killing of humans. I've seen video like this before on Discovery channel, but not at these close image ranges. Plus I've played Longbow 2 and Hind, so i've done that kind of stuff in games before. But still. Ugh that was really sick to watch, and should've had more warnings attached to it. I didn't even notice the "squeamish" warnings. Blech! Sick in the stomach....

As for the final killing of the guy who was already wounded, yes that constitutes as a war crime. I used to do a lot of research into what is considered a war crime, I was really into the ICRC (International Red Cross). The pilots are war criminals for that last act. You can defend them all you want, but the simple fact that they are war criminals cannot be debated. Of course, their identities are probably unknown, their victims are completely dead. So they will not suffer any consequences. Perhaps a slap on the wrist, and some more ammo.

I agree that it can be an act of mercy to kill someone who would otherwise suffer a long painful death. So I'm just sayin. What they did was a war crime, there's no way to tell how wounded that guy was anyway.

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 18:46.

don't play SvenCo-op
Dec 29, 2003, 20:24
don't play SvenCo-op Dec 29, 2003, 20:24
Dec 29, 2003, 20:24

the new 3.0 isn't that great. Natural Selection offers much better gameplay, and all it takes to make NS "co-op" is to imagine the enemies as AI-controlled. Afterall, SvenCo-op's enemies nearly all have attacks that are impossible to dodge, or just generally dull to fight. If you want gun-shootin-mania co-op, play Serious Sam 2. If you want hallways and rooms to clear out "co-op", play Natural Selection. Whatever co-op can be defined as, NS and SS2 do it a lot better than Sven Co-op.

I think Sven's biggest mistake is that they stuck with the base HL game. Which isn't a good co-op compatible experience at all. Instead, they should've gone for something like a fast-paced first-person Diablo game, where each player can take on a different player class.... with unique abilities, strengths and weaknesses. Co-op games excel when the players need only cooperate in simple ways, where their abilities complement each other without precise teamwork. No co-op game should ever require cooperation of thought... and a lot of Sven's maps seem to want that.

Anyway, if you can find a high res version of Heretic 1/2, Hexen 1/2, then those games offer good co-op play too.

NS will flop at retail
Dec 28, 2003, 17:40
NS will flop at retail Dec 28, 2003, 17:40
Dec 28, 2003, 17:40

Eh, tired of saying why it would fail.... but it would.

death to PC gaming!
Dec 16, 2003, 13:07
death to PC gaming! Dec 16, 2003, 13:07
Dec 16, 2003, 13:07

Don't get me wrong, I love PC games, I don't own a console besides Dreamcast, but for the past few years nothing on the PC has really done anything the consoles haven't been able to match. The only exception is Counter-strike and Day of Defeat. Seriously, the only reason PC games can be considered better than consoles games is due to the modifiability of the games. But only CS and DOD stand out amongst a crowd of craaaaaaaap.

I'd usually say "computer games are great because you can make custom missions for them." Well, custom missions are great, but are only designed with single player in mind. As such, no one bothers to make custom missions. And few games even support such designs without huge complications. And thus, all we get are multiplayer mods and maps, with no storyline, scripts, etc. Just a map. Enter CS and DOD, and we're happy. But what else is there?

There's always the endless supply of interesting Warcraft/Starcraft maps that come out, and for other RTS games. But those map design utilities are far more simpler than FPS-mod making tools, and could probably be easily ported to the console if the software co's really wanted to. So that's not really a reason for the PC to stay alive.

MMORPGs are *extreme* console-style games. 99% of the people who play those have no interest in modding the game, never do. Slap a keyboard and a mouse to an X-box and you've got no reason to play on the PC anymore.

The fact is, PC game companies abandoned the PC's only advantages long ago, because for every CS and DOD that gets made.... 99.9% of the customers just pay the money to play a simple game w/ good graphics and move on. PC gaming is also much more expensive relative to console gaming..... and for often less stellar results.

Well, I hope console companies at least keep the game ports coming out...

Re: No subject
Dec 15, 2003, 20:06
Re: No subject Dec 15, 2003, 20:06
Dec 15, 2003, 20:06

They're not American jobs though, and they never were. Just ask the Indians who have them. Jobs and the employers who give them out don't care what nationality you are, only how cheap you will work it.

Anyway my assumption is that the jobs will never come back, because the Indian workers will never demand wages so high that the jobs will leave. That's the whole point there.

XMP
Dec 11, 2003, 04:16
XMP Dec 11, 2003, 04:16
Dec 11, 2003, 04:16

i was gonna get XMP, especially since it was just 10 bucks. But I'm pretty convinced I'd get bored of the game rather quickly. The combat mechanics are just too unconventional. Too Tribes-like. That is, too designed for the days of modem users, where everything is decided by huge area effect weaponry and tactical placement of defenses. The fights aren't exciting, they're methodical. No reflexes required, just a ping of 300 or so will do fine.

That and the snipers are a BITCH!

Dec 10, 2003, 18:17
Re: No subject Dec 10, 2003, 18:17
Dec 10, 2003, 18:17

they should've put the smoke grenade with the Gunners, and the concussion grenade with the Rangers. Gunners are a total waste of time in the huge expanses of XMP, and snipers easily dominate over everyone. If smoke had belonged to the Gunners, maybe they'd be able to get somewhere without being picked off so quickly.

i'm still wondering if i should get U2 at compusa...... the potential frustrations from sniper attacks is already pretty high from the demo.

Re: NYTimes
Dec 10, 2003, 18:11
Re: NYTimes Dec 10, 2003, 18:11
Dec 10, 2003, 18:11

Well hopefully the next GTA game will say "kill all the white people"

hmmmm
Dec 10, 2003, 01:43
hmmmm Dec 10, 2003, 01:43
Dec 10, 2003, 01:43

I really like the demo, but the snipers seem too overpowered. When I'm a sniper, i kill far too many people and I feel like far too much coordination on the part of the enemy is required to evade my fatal attacks. If someone spots me, i can easily speed jump jet away and just heal up with my own med packs, then hop back into combat. Nevermind that i can pop smoke grenades behind me to cover my escape.

Sniping is easy to do, too. Huge wide open expanses with very little cover. Slow moving targets everywhere. Only troops within vehicles can evade sniper attacks.... but only so many players can pile into the rare vehicles.

So i'm kinda in a love-hate relationship with the XMP demo right now, and dont' know if i should shell out $10 for the full XMP. It's just 10 bucks but...... I'm really cheap.

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 01:44.

good
Dec 7, 2003, 06:40
good Dec 7, 2003, 06:40
Dec 7, 2003, 06:40

I had a lot of fun with this, although my frame rate was pretty horrible, and i wasn't really seeing where it was all going. Biggest prob of the game is the lack of "wow" special effects. Every explosion or bullet hit is so modest, especially compared to the over-the-top effects of Call of Duty.

This game is probably what Tribes should've been. Tribes was always too focused on disc-combat, which I believe most players did not find to be fun after a while (it's small fanbase not withstanding). In XMP, the discshooters are the slow moving Gunners, and can be swarmed by shotgun toting Techs.

I dunno if this will really bring U2 success. Afterall, it's pretty complex, and the combat mechanics are very "unique", which is not what most people want. Well, here's hoping mod makers can make a few tweaks to make the combat more mainstream .... i think the rest people will like just fine

Re: ugh...
Dec 4, 2003, 18:34
Re: ugh... Dec 4, 2003, 18:34
Dec 4, 2003, 18:34

The CNN article quotes someone, or the game itself, that the game says "Kill the Cubans" or "Kill the Haitians". If it's a quote from the Haitian- or Cuban-American groups, then yes, I agree with Wowbagger, that they took it out of context. However, if the game itself specifically has a line of text, that indicates the mission objective saying "Kill the Cubans", I can completely understand why they're pissed off. It'd be like saying "kill the blacks" or "kill the whites" from the Cuban viewpoint. Remember, immigrant groups are far less concerned with concepts of race, but with concepts of culture. And to them, blacks are a cultural group, whites are a cultural group, and Cubans and Haitians are cultural groups. And so for immigrants, black and white grouping is no different than Cuban and Haitian grouping.

Anyway, this story is interesting primarily because this has got to be the first time the ultra-republican Cuban Americans and the ultra-democrat Haitians have ever agreed about anything. Heh!

I also think the quote from Rockstar's publisher that "no offense was intended" is total crap, if the game specifically says "kill the Cubans", that is. In that case, they knew such a reaction was likely, but didn't care. Afterall, Cuban and Haitian-American groups are extreme minorities in this country and don't threaten Rockstar's profit line at all, even if 100% of their people boycott the game it won't make a dent. Meanwhile, you CAN actually increase your profits by appealing to the "Racism Lite" of the market majority..

Or as a Warner Bro's movie exec said, "good history is the history with white faces on it, bad history is everything else."

oh well
Dec 2, 2003, 23:44
oh well Dec 2, 2003, 23:44
Dec 2, 2003, 23:44

Oh well, the sequel sucks. FPS RPGs tend to be nothing more than interactive novels anyway, all story and dull combat. Read a really big choose your own adventure novel and get the same effect. hahaha i'm mostly kidding

After playing 15 hours of KOTOR and realising that I've not actually been excited by any of the battles (they're more like chores to bypass, to see more story)... I am starting to realise that i need to have a huge emphasis on exciting action combat in my games though. If only they could combine the amazing non-linear story concepts of Deus Ex with the ability to engage in TONS of action. Like you're in an intergalactic war with a Zerg-like species, meanwhile you're also involved in a lot of politics within the military command structure, and there's various factions, and maybe a civil war too. You can become an everday soldier and fight in chaotic Call Of Duty-esque combat, while still building up a character with various biomods and skill bonuses. Like a FPS Diablo 2. *drool* So yeah, Call of Duty.....or Enemy Territory, but w/ a non-linear thing goin on too. Yeah. That'd rock. Uh sorry about talking about something off topic

game reviewers
Dec 2, 2003, 19:58
game reviewers Dec 2, 2003, 19:58
Dec 2, 2003, 19:58

Penny Arcade once made a comment that game reviews are weird in that a superb game 10 times better than a merely good game, can only receive about 5 or 10 more points on the scale. So, Deus Ex 1 could be a 95%, while the sequel could be a 90%. But Deus Ex 1 was SO AMAZING that it could be 10 times better than the sequel, and a dozen other 80% games, but ultimately it can't get 10 times the score. So maybe the sequel is still a pretty great game compared to everything else that gets released.... but compared to the pure heaven DX1 was for some of you out there, it's just way behind.... and the reviews react accordingly

Re: Demo
Dec 2, 2003, 16:35
Re: Demo Dec 2, 2003, 16:35
Dec 2, 2003, 16:35

Kurtz/tony, if you read his message more closely, you'll see that he meant those games are for the non-hardcore, which is why they were such big successes

Re: Before I would consider X2...
Dec 1, 2003, 19:49
Re: Before I would consider X2... Dec 1, 2003, 19:49
Dec 1, 2003, 19:49

I've played this and it seems too slow for my taste. The combat doesn't seem like it could be exciting, although i havne't piloted any cap ships into huge battles yet. The whole economy system is really cool though. I think most people will be glad I-War style physics aren't present in this game. Every game that has adopted Newtonian physics has failed rather miserably, while often being amazing and loved games in other respects (I-war and Allegiance)

need action packed FPS RPG!
Dec 1, 2003, 01:36
need action packed FPS RPG! Dec 1, 2003, 01:36
Dec 1, 2003, 01:36

I've been playing Knights of the Old Republic for at least 14 hours.... the whole time i've been kickin myself saying "I DON'T EVEN LIKE RPGs!"

And i don't. It's just the story that keeps me addicted, the game itself is far too boring. Having played through all of the first DX, I had hoped Invisible War might come back with a bigger focus on action-packed mayhem, if one chose that route (AND a great storyline and open-ended gameplay). FPS RPG hybrids so far are always extremely dull when it comes to combat. But the demo seems to present the same boring ho-hum combat mechanics of all other FPS RPG games. The FPS aspect of these games is just done to make the game flow better, seem more real, and doesn't really excite you in anyway, like a good game of Day of Defeat can.

System Shock 2 suffered the same problem, if i remember correctly. Like DX, SS2 was more of a "intelligent action game", but big on the intelligent, and small on action. So considering how mediocre the action elements can feel, sometimes i feel like they should've never bothered to begin with. Shoulda skipped the FPS aspect and gone with a probably-easier-to-code game similar to KOTOR's turn-based / real-time third-person combat.

Nov 30, 2003, 18:16
Re: No subject Nov 30, 2003, 18:16
Nov 30, 2003, 18:16

Years ago, my gamer friends would all talk about how annoyed they were that politicians were trying to take violence out of games. I didn't understand it, especially since i was 10 times the gamer they were, and often played the most violent of FPS games. And yet I didn't see the problem behind removing violence. Maybe lots of people are playing games to kill the crap outta people, to see gore, and they love that sense, but I dunno, I don't take it so literally maybe. Dont' get me wrong, I loved Kill Bill's exagerrated blood spouts, just like i love how some anime has crazy ways of having organs fly around. But still....... I don't really care if below 18 year old kids are forced to stay away from that kinda stuff. Doesn't seem like a big deal..... and considering how weird and out-of-touch-with-reality some hormonally-active boys can be, I think it's a pretty reasonable measure.

and I never understood why we're so obsessed with buying/selling things related to the mass carnage of warfare, exploiting war for entertainment purposes. It just seems odd. I'm under the impression, after reading many WW2 and Vietnam books by soldiers, that very few of them would ever even consider making money off of such a topic. And yet people who are not part of war, relish the opportunity to dump their collective millions of dollars into the topic for entertainment. Yeesh.
Personally, I'd still play my fav game, Day of Defeat, if it was teddy bears shooting bananas at each other. I'm there for the gameplay.

As for the Army being able to recruit 18 yr olds to go to war, and REALLY kill people, while banning 17 yr olds from even playing these games..... well the reasoning behind that is the military knows 18 yr olds are gullible, and that they can suck you in to fight in wars that you barely understand. 18 yr olds aren't exactly known for their high political and historical awareness. I'd argue that the military should raise the minimum age limit for recruitment to 25, because most 18 yr olds are friggin idiots and don't things through enough, and most 18 yr olds who do join the military are desperately poor.... which just makes them more likely to be friggin idiots. (I have lots of respect for the military as an establishment, BUT it would be a lie to say that all my friends who joined the military after high school were well-learned people.)

so yeah, it makes perfect sense here. US society says "you kids are too stupid to control your own smoking or drinking habits, and you're too stupid to play these super violent video games without regulation. BUT we *know* this, which is why we want you to join the military and kill stuff without asking questions."

context
Nov 30, 2003, 16:40
context Nov 30, 2003, 16:40
Nov 30, 2003, 16:40

I live in the SF Bay area, and i think we gotta put this into context. Just this past couple years, a group of teenagers, who were all big fans of GTA, went on a large spree where they murdered 5 people, held up dozens of people at gun point, and so forth.

http://newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/11/2/211043.shtml

Here's the only article i could find right away, but if you dig further you'll
find that the spree of theirs was pretty damn large in scale. Probably
the biggest thing like this in the country I bet.

Personally I love Day of Defeat, but I don't really think I need it to be
violent to enjoy it. maybe I"ve killed SO many people that i've gotten
bored of that aspect and just want to be challenged in tactical ways. heh heh

Nov 29, 2003, 05:02
Re: No subject Nov 29, 2003, 05:02
Nov 29, 2003, 05:02

ROFL @ Rebian!!!!

Dunno how anyone can top that

this could be great
Nov 26, 2003, 21:31
this could be great Nov 26, 2003, 21:31
Nov 26, 2003, 21:31

Jedi Academy multiplayer isn't the most popular multiplayer FPS out there, but with a lot of balance changes, and a lot of new maps..... the Siege mode in Academy could become one of the most entertaining online FPS games you can play. As it is now, something like 80% of the Siege mode's weapons/classes are useless (and unused). Here's hoping mod makers can salvage this game's MP.

132 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older