Limit Results:

24 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One
Nov 13, 2015, 12:04
Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 12:04
Nov 13, 2015, 12:04

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 11:28:
I love/hate dogmeat. He keeps running off, whining all the time and if I send him back to sanctuary he dissapears.
Check all the dog houses, he will be in one of them. After realizing that, I scrapped all but one and moved it to my house.

As for your review - I agree. There is a stupid amount of "systems" in this game (building, settlements, upgrading, layered armor, perk/no-skills, companions that hack/pick locks, etc.) that never really gets explained. Case in point - how was I supposed to know that chair wasn't with the rest of them?

Definitely not NV level, but it is too early to call if it is better or worse than FO3 IMO. I'm enjoying it, and wish I could get more time to play it, so there is that.

Re: Morning Consolidation
Sep 8, 2015, 13:13
Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2015, 13:13
Sep 8, 2015, 13:13

Thanks for reminding me about Green Man Gaming - forgot about them on my list of PC game vendors.

How long do you have to wait? I completely agree that the console store has a monopoly and PC has some competition, but generally digital downloads tend to follow Steam pricing and I don't see a lot of price wars in that area.

For example, a lot of people are recommending Pillars of Eternity to me. As soon as I have a steady schedule where I can sit down and play something like it, I'm down with it. Looking around all the sites, it is $45 (Steam, Amazon, GMG, GOG, etc) so I am not seeing the pricing competition.

Re: Morning Consolidation
Sep 8, 2015, 12:28
Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2015, 12:28
Sep 8, 2015, 12:28

Verno wrote on Sep 8, 2015, 10:28:
I'll just stick with the PC where there is a lot of pricing competition.
So, I was with you 100% until this. On the PC side of things, there is Steam, Amazon and a couple of big-box stores around here for new releases. They all end up pretty much MSRP, except the Amazon Marketplace which can be bizarrely higher or lower for whatever reason. The big-box stores barely have PC games anymore so those are off the shelf (unless is it WoW) pretty quick once the initial order is sold.

I see digital download games on both console and PC stay at some arbitrary price ($60 for AAA, $40 for trendy "retro" games) for a very long time, but most of those services offer sales on specific titles from time to time. I got Lego Batman for ~50%+ off in a XB1 sale, which got it to about $20. I suspect that is the new model, keep them priced just below new release and generate excitement with a "sale" from time to time.

Re: Heroes of the Storm Adding Silence Penalty
Sep 8, 2015, 12:09
Re: Heroes of the Storm Adding Silence Penalty Sep 8, 2015, 12:09
Sep 8, 2015, 12:09

they understand that some unusual heroes may generate complaints, like ... Abathur AFKing, and that that they will take these play styles into account.
Uh, so AFK is a valid tactic in this game?

This is one of those games (like a lot of MOBAs) that I assume I am just too late to be competitive. However, despite hearing about how much fun it is I also hear about things like this (and that "prevent the other player from ever playing" exploit) that makes me wonder if this is a game I could enjoy.

Re: Mass Effect Movie Plans
May 26, 2010, 23:23
Re: Mass Effect Movie Plans May 26, 2010, 23:23
May 26, 2010, 23:23

Ummm, my last post before this was 6 years ago. I try to wield the voice of reason carefully

I love me some blue's, but it takes a rare topic to make me post. I think there is a convergence of Hollywood and video games, and it goes wrong both ways (compare Doom the movie to Metal Gear Solid 4's inpeneratable plot and "do I get to play yet?") and tell me what was a better experience.

Hey, but don't listen to me, I had all kinds of hope for Deus Ex 2, even got the t-shirt, and while it was a good game on the PC, it wasn't what I wanted. (Yes, I looked through my own posts because my gray hair affected my memory)

Re: Mass Effect Movie Plans
May 26, 2010, 22:21
Re: Mass Effect Movie Plans May 26, 2010, 22:21
May 26, 2010, 22:21

Creston, you pulled me out of retirement.

Last time we replied to each other was over a chipset, but I gotta say, I also hope for the best. There is nothing wrong with the story in Mass Effect, and humanity as the underdog having to prove itself on the galactic stage is mostly original. ME2 doesn't work as a story unless you are the first human changing things.

Ignore the journals, don't get bogged down on Asari "endowments", focus on the characters - there are great opportunities....

Just don't go too Renegade.

Re: 404
Feb 7, 2004, 17:35
Re: 404 Feb 7, 2004, 17:35
Feb 7, 2004, 17:35

It is working now...

Hoping for the best
Sep 18, 2003, 22:33
Hoping for the best Sep 18, 2003, 22:33
Sep 18, 2003, 22:33

As with the rest here, my heart goes out to you and your family. I sincerely hope for the best, and if that is not meant to be, I hope you take comfort in the show of support from myself and the community.

Larry

And may this thread be the longest blues thread ever, since it means so much more than some silly flamewar.

Slashdot on HL2
Sep 14, 2003, 15:58
Slashdot on HL2 Sep 14, 2003, 15:58
Sep 14, 2003, 15:58

Okay, I'll bite, since I'm not doing much else this afternoon.

All quotes are from Aclecius:
Maybe Slashdot knows what there talking about doesnt seem like.

I think you are saying that Slashdot is normally informative, but this time they are not. Weird, I have the completely opposite opinion of this article, and the resulting discussion (which is always more informative than the article itself).

The 5900 box says its DirectX9, all the sales people say (at least till 2 days ago , that NVida is the only DirectX9 card.
If this is true why werent the drivers ready for Directx9 games.

I would guess because they felt the market demand wasn't there. How many pure dx9 games are there right now? And how many are on your shelf?

Now, if they advertized the FX series as a (the only according to your statement) 100% dx9 compatible card, then you may have a point, but I don't actually know that they do, nor do I understand why people don't do some basic research before dropping a wad of cash on a video card.

But I believe that the card should have focused solely on dx9 performance, I mean- who actually uses that OpenGL crap anyway (<- this is sarcasm). With all seriousness, I think nVidia made a bad choice (and not their first) with development, and it is biting them in the ass.

Why is Valve saying it is taking 5 times long to get NVida code paths to work.

Because they are creating a mixed dx8/9 path for that card. Perhaps if they asked nVidia a year ago, with the intention of working with them, the required shader optimization would be in place and it wouldn't be an issue.

Instead we have two issues now, where Valve apparently blindsides nVidia with "those FX cards won't work with our game" which is followed by nVidia saying, "okay, you don't want to make it work, so we will". It may be right that nVidia should fix this (I think so), but the way this is brought out to the gaming community makes Valve look like they are playing favorites and acting like children.

Valve is dealing with facts, not theroreital ideas, plus Valve specificly said the 50.xx drivers disable fog in there levels to get a speed boost, how is competeing fairly.

I remember the days when fog was used to boost performance... But it seems clear to me that the issue was the beta nature of the driver. I wonder if Valve mentioned this to nVidia before the demo, or if they bombed 'em with it following their confusion on why the 45.XX drivers were being used.

Finally, while I can't quite say for sure, I'm pretty sure I played UT2003 with my nVidia card using trilinear filtering. I'd try it now, but I have a card from a different vendor...

Unreal 2 Multiplayer
Jul 5, 2003, 13:30
Unreal 2 Multiplayer Jul 5, 2003, 13:30
Jul 5, 2003, 13:30

As long as they keep the weapons the same, I'm all about giving this a chance. Just make sure the default run speed is > crawl!

It would also make a great TF style game since you have several very different groups (marines, angels, skaarj etc) and light/med/heavy assets already in the game.

Once the multiplayer code is in there, coop is only one step away since there is already teams out there looking into it.

This is good news for Unreal fans- let's just hope they follow through with it.

Re: No subject
Jun 21, 2003, 13:49
Re: No subject Jun 21, 2003, 13:49
Jun 21, 2003, 13:49

Ive had to return several (13+) DVDs simply because they were too scratched and scuffed to play.

Bizarre.

I haven't owned a VCR in 3 years, and have never rented a bad (scratched at least) DVD.

Maybe because it isn't popular (local Hollywood is about half-n-half) the people renting DVD take some care of them.

Too bad
Jun 1, 2003, 13:15
Too bad Jun 1, 2003, 13:15
Jun 1, 2003, 13:15

I use to think this was the game that had the right amount of "hype"- not so much they couldn't reasonably pull it off, but enough to keep me interested. Then we stopped hearing about it.

I liked the screenshots and the concept. Too bad I agree that putting a game like this on the shelf (not pulling back to make improvements, but letting the tech go stale) is pretty much going to kill it.

Re: Drivers
May 24, 2003, 20:19
Re: Drivers May 24, 2003, 20:19
May 24, 2003, 20:19

Has anyone here actually had problems with these drivers?

I have just assembled a new Shuttle, and these drivers (2.42) haven't caused any problems yet.

Re: No subject
May 14, 2003, 00:39
Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 00:39
May 14, 2003, 00:39

Xombie said:
There is therefore no way to justify the hype for Doom 3 the game

Elvis replied:
Yes there are: John Carmack's next engine.
Yes, I think most everyone agrees that it is impressive (the lighting and fluid dynamics) even Xombie, but as a recent purchaser of U2A, I can safely say that a pretty engine does not make a great game.

Elvis went on to state:
id doing single player. Content and themes drawn from a revolutionary game that influenced many for years to come.
Two thoughts cross my mind every time this point comes up- First, who is really left from the classic Doom days? When is the last time id ACTUALLY did a single player game?

Finally, Elvis said:
You believe you've seen everything from screens and videos. I believe there is much id has kept to itself regarding Doom 3 gameplay.
I wish I had your optimism. I think they are keeping it under wraps because the story is much like the first two games- an excuse to run around and shoot things. Or worse- like the last three Quakes, no plots, just excuses.

I am looking forward to DX2. Part of the reason is my faith in Ion Storm Austin and the rest is in the interviews. Those guys are constantly saying "Here is what we did wrong... Here are our goals... This is how we plan to reach them...", which (as someone who works on IT projects) instills a level of trust in their professionalism.

As long as the info only has to do with the engine, I have to assume that IT is the point. This seems to lend credence to the "tech demo" argument. It isn't enough to say "we are focusing on the single player aspect" because we have been burned before on that.

I want id to convince me (via interviews or demo) that the game is more than the engine. Until then, I'm on Xombie's side.

Re: # 21
May 5, 2003, 20:33
Re: # 21 May 5, 2003, 20:33
May 5, 2003, 20:33

Raff, you're confusing the geForce and the nForce.

See Creston, this is what I respect about you (if you are still following this thread)- rational discourse, when most people would be busy flaming away by now. I am talking about those little chips that play traffic cop (and what I thought you were talking about also). The chipset, produced by nVidia, for the xbox is what would become the best AMD chipset on the market today.

It is what the chipset allowed in terms of bandwidth and memory usage that made it special. The GPU itself, a hybrid that was (upon first release) better than what we would see on the market, has been surpassed by all the current cards (minus the GF4MX if that is still in circulation) from nVidia. So in that, I'm take my rather dated Ti4400 (that didn't take long) over the xbox hybrid any day.

And I'm pretty sure there are a lot of PC developers out there that are very happy about coding for a single "PC" based platform. I'm not convinced that many of the games that run so smoothly on the xbox would even run on a Celeron 733 w/GF4MX card, because of all the optimization that a single platform provides.

Still doesn't change the fact that a REAL RPG is meant to be played on a computer! If it's good enough for Bard's Tale, Ultima, Fallout and Wizardry, it's good enough for KotOR!

Re: Heh
May 4, 2003, 20:31
Re: Heh May 4, 2003, 20:31
May 4, 2003, 20:31

The NV20? You weren't aware of the geForce3? You can probably still buy it on the open market, if you shop around in "please take it, we need to get rid of it" bins.

C'mon Creston, most of your posts seem like you are in touch with the gaming community. Heck, most of the times I find myself agreeing with you. But you aren't even in the ballpark here.

There is no nForce chipset for any Pentium processor on the market. Only AMD's Athlon series gets that honor. Furthermore the GPU isn't a pure NV20, but a hybrid that supports DX8. The motherboard itself has some serious bandwidth optimization that we (PC world) didn't get to see at a reasonable price until very recently.

The funny thing is that like you (though by choice) I am waiting for KotOR for the PC. Just something about playing an RPG on a console that gives me the creeps.

Re: erm
May 4, 2003, 16:06
Re: erm May 4, 2003, 16:06
May 4, 2003, 16:06

And sure, I could spend 150 dollars to get a console that has the EXACT SAME HARDWARE that I have in my PC. I can understand owning a PC and a PSX2, or a Gamecube, but why on earth people are willing to give Microsoft another 150 dollars for hardware that they considered obsolete two years ago and junked after removing it from their PC is actually beyond my ability to comprehend.

Then you have a strange motherboard, since the xbox has an architecture/chipset specifically designed to optimize gaming and I wasn't aware that you could buy that particular flavor of gf chip on the open market.

Anyway, the xbox is EASIER to develop for- single platform (ask your ATI friends about nVidia optimized games), strong dev support, and Microsoft's willingness to throw money at people willing to dev games for it. You wanna know why I bought an xbox? Halo (coop is worth the price of admission alone), no dropped frames in Splinter Cell, MechAssault, Shenmue II, Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams, and for the future the best version of Soul Calibur II (unless you are a die-hard Link fan) and the best online console support.

So back on-topic, you can either wait until Fall for KotOR, or buy an xbox. Heck I bought a GameCube for a single game (Zelda) but if you are antiMS, an xbox would be a hard pill to swallow, since you just might like it.

BTW, I saw the link to the video on InkTank, you have to at least look at the first one before seeing the second. It was painful (the first) and painfully funny (the second).

DL link
Mar 24, 2003, 23:39
DL link Mar 24, 2003, 23:39
Mar 24, 2003, 23:39

For those who don't have or want to use the ingame updater:

http://www.ina-support.com/faq/unreal2downloads_pc.asp

Re: All it comes down to...
Feb 23, 2003, 23:50
Re: All it comes down to... Feb 23, 2003, 23:50
Feb 23, 2003, 23:50

No, I got cheaped out on a buggy POS game that wasn't properly tested and optimized.

yep, me too and i took it back as well

Okay, bizarre, but totally serious question:
Am I the only person to get it to run silky on a 950MHz TBird?

The game was clearly designed for DX8.1 (got crappy frames in DX9, but great ones back in 8.1) and needed earlier nvidia drivers, but I get 30+ fps with the most hectic of scenes. Since I got a PCI128 no EAX problems for me.

Is this actually unusual, or am I just hearing the whining?

Two Camps
Nov 26, 2002, 22:49
Two Camps Nov 26, 2002, 22:49
Nov 26, 2002, 22:49

Actually, it seems that there are two groups of people-

1. Those who got the game either expecting BGIII or whatever the (fan site) hype machine was cranking out. Most of these people played some part of the single player game, maybe tried the tools, and then gave up on it.

2. The people who actually went beyond the box, playing multiplayer, downloading the extra content, and/or creating their own stuff.

I'll admit, I wasn't impressed at first. In fact my first thought is Bioware took me for a ride, but I could see the potential. Now, my wife and I are playing the original campaign (and actually enjoying it, with someone else to play with) and I have a online group that gets together and plays almost weekly.

24 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older