Descending
Limit Results:

31 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Fileplanet
Aug 7, 2003, 14:44
Re: Fileplanet Aug 7, 2003, 14:44
Aug 7, 2003, 14:44

So Fileplanet got it dead last? What does that matter if the servers that got it first run slow? Money wasted? Not for me, I was tired of wasting time searching.

Sure, I am not denying that you can get it fast from other free servers and some at a decent rate. I used to find files there myself, my point was simply I didn't have to search around looking for the best server, the best speed, problems with it being password protected or not, etc, etc.

Since I don't want to get this thread off on a huge tangent that always occurs with mention of Fileplanet, I will stop here. Although it is amazing how many people bitch about Fileplanet especially when they are the only ones with a particular demo. Going to go play some more.

Happy searching.

-Nighthawk

AMD 2700+ XP
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MB
1 Gig PC2700
Radeon 9700 Pro 128
Onboard Nforce2 Dolby 5.1 audio
2x WD 80 Gig HDs
Sony 52x CD / Plextor 12x/10x/32x Burner

Fileplanet
Aug 7, 2003, 14:17
Fileplanet Aug 7, 2003, 14:17
Aug 7, 2003, 14:17

Heh. This is exactly why I PAY for Fileplanet. Say what you want but while others are complaining about their 3k/sec download rate and full servers, I have already downloaded and played it for a bit. Sure I could have waited for the net congestion to die down and gotten it for free eventually but I can afford it so why not pay for the speed? I also didn't have to jump around looking for the fastest server to download it from.

Comments on the game to follow once I get into it a bit more.

-Nighthawk

AMD 2700+ XP
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MB
1 Gig PC2700
Radeon 9700 Pro 128
2x WD 80 Gig HDs
This comment was edited on Aug 7, 14:18.

Re: No subject
Jun 3, 2003, 12:33
Re: No subject Jun 3, 2003, 12:33
Jun 3, 2003, 12:33

I see your point dude. Sorry if it sounded like I was bitching at you.

I just don't understand why people who don't pay for Fileplanet hate it so much when they don't even have to use it. Just because some demos are released only to subscribers for a weeek or so early? Maybe because we pay for the service we deserve to get things a little earlier then everyone else as a sort of thanks for your support. Eventually all demos are released for free so the common pool of people will get it eventually. They just have to wait a bit longer.

Yes demos should be, and are, free for download. Things like technology demos, beta tests and the like are things that they often offer to only subscribers as a perk for your subscription. It's kinda like, Hey thanks for helping us out and in return you can have the privilege of trying out this beta before the public can. When it is an actual demo, then it is free for everyone.

-Nighthawk

AMD 2700+ XP
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MB
1 Gig PC2700
Radeon 9700 Pro 128
2x WD 80 Gig HDs

Re: No subject
Jun 3, 2003, 11:29
Re: No subject Jun 3, 2003, 11:29
Jun 3, 2003, 11:29

>Reason #1.It's people like you that keep these >subscription based hosting services in business and >charging money for what is free to the community anyway.

Ok but how is that hurting you?

>Reason #2.If you need to pay fileplanet to painlessly get >what you need without waiting,then you need to seriously >reconsider some alternatives.I sure as hell have no >problem finding what I need at high speed with no waiting >elsewhere.

I have tried countless alternatives and nothing is as easy or painless. If you have no trouble finding stuff then why do you care if Fileplanet exists?

>Reason #3.Paying $60-$80 a year($7-&10 a month)for demos >and other FREE files or for the 2 or 3 exclusives they get >for a few hours per year is just plain retarted.

$60 a year? That is cheap as hell for me. I pay $65 a MONTH for cable, $70 a MONTH for DSL, $800 a MONTH for rent, so $60 for a whole YEAR is pretty cheap in my book. Besides, I know the files themselves are free but I would gladly pay them $7 for the ad free, organized, large collection and clean layout that they provide. And so far this year I have downloaded at least 5 Fileplanet only items which already made it worth the price including the Planetside beta account which I played for 3 months.

You can get TV listings online but people still pay to get cable and TV guides in the mail. Why? Its because some people like getting everything they need in one spot and don't mind actually paying someone for the hard work bringing it together. Those free sites are paid for by ads which I get sick of looking at. If those ads fail to brin in revenue then even your free sites will have to turn to pay services. Everyone seems to be looking for a free handout. One thing I do agree with is that developers should host their own demos and not require you go look someplace else to download them.

>I also pay for my High Speed internet service,but I dont >need to be nickle and dimed to death all the way down to >the last mouse click.

And your not, you don't pay for Fileplanet remember?

AMD 2700+ XP
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MB
1 Gig PC2700
Radeon 9700 Pro 128
2x WD 80 Gig HDs

Re: Gamespy/Lamespy
Jun 3, 2003, 09:00
Re: Gamespy/Lamespy Jun 3, 2003, 09:00
Jun 3, 2003, 09:00

I hate to get this all off topic (game opinion below) but I have to agree with his comments. I don't pay $7 a month to use Gamespy, that would be dumb. In fact I never even used Gamespy before. I pay so that I can go to one spot and find everything I need without having to worry about queues or searching around for it. Plus it downloads at full speed unlike a lot of the other free sites I have been too that only come down at 1/2 my bandwidth. I go there to find mods, patches and drivers because I know I will find them there without searching for hours or trying to find the download link hidden between 25 ads on a page.

I always hear the same things when something comes out and by the time everyone starts bitching about how Fileplanet has this game first or I can't believe people pay for that service now where can I find the game, I have already downloaded and tried it. The early exclusive downloads are just a perk. The demos will be available for everyone eventually so just wait a bit. Besides, usually its not a full blown demo but more of a Beta release or Tech Demo that gets released to Fileplanet early. This is like people who don't have cable bitching because they have to wait for movies to come to TV but people who pay for cable can see them earlier. Its called, membership has its privileges. Its only $7 a month and since I can afford it, why not? If you can't or don't want to pay, then oh well, stop bitching and start searching for your downloads, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Ok rant over and time to get back on topic a bit. I tried the demo and eh, its ok. On my system it ran way to choppy even in 1024x768 mode. I didn't see any reason something with graphics like this should run slow on my machine. I run NOLF 2 in 1600x1200 mode and it is over 85 FPS and that has much better graphics. If anyone noticed a tweak to speed it up let me know and I will give it a shot. Until then I really can't offer an opinion on the gameplay.

-Nighthawk

Re: Freelancer...
Mar 4, 2003, 13:55
Re: Freelancer... Mar 4, 2003, 13:55
Mar 4, 2003, 13:55

This game really should have joystick support. Yes the mouse controls do work fine and I am having just as much fun as if I could use my joystick. I just can't believe they would think of leaving it out compeletly. Space sims and joysticks. They kind of go together don't they? I really can't believe Microsoft didn't make them add support for their Force Feedback stick. Seems like a perfect canidate for that type of controller since it can help you feel where you are hit from.

Hey I have a T1 to support all my friends online too... can I have a cookie? I also have a joystick I would like to use in this game, hehe.

-Nighthawk

Cheating
Mar 4, 2003, 12:56
Cheating Mar 4, 2003, 12:56
Mar 4, 2003, 12:56

I don't know if multiplayer cheating will really be a problem. From what I have read, all player information is kept on the server you join so basically you can't take your profile from one server to another. I think the trainers only work if you are the one running the server since then it can modify your stats because they are on your machine. A way around this is just join a server with people you know. Of course I am sure there will be some cheat where you can hack your information from across servers somehow. If someone is cheating, and you are running the server, you can always just delete their account file from your server.

I could be wrong.

-Nighthawk

Re: Tired of this already.....
Sep 27, 2002, 01:11
Re: Tired of this already..... Sep 27, 2002, 01:11
Sep 27, 2002, 01:11

Yes I understand how hard it is to develop drivers especially in Windows since I do it myself as a career. Don't get me wrong, I do think it is great that they continue to update these drivers to make them to best that they can I just feel like they have 10 versions sitting somewhere and they just wait until they need a little PR before they release the next one.

Just watch, ATI will release a new update to something and nVidia will post something saying new detonator driver with 25% improvement again!

Oh well....

-Nighthawk

Tired of this already.....
Sep 26, 2002, 21:19
Tired of this already..... Sep 26, 2002, 21:19
Sep 26, 2002, 21:19

You know, everyone always praises nVidia for their awesome drivers but it seems like they release slow drivers to their customers on purpose at first, then when the competition gets tight they do something to get 25% more speed each time. I mean total up the driver update percentages over the past year and you will get over 200% increase. Sure that sounds good now but they should have done that back when they were release the first or second time!!!

Its nice that they are supporting their users but to me it looks like they just short change them from the beginning then make themselves look like heros when they need it.

-Nighthawk

Another positive post!
Sep 25, 2002, 16:33
Another positive post! Sep 25, 2002, 16:33
Sep 25, 2002, 16:33

Good for them.

I played this game for months after the release. I guess it was because I was one of the lucky few that never had any issues with the game. After they shut down the forums and people seemed to be leaving the game, I too left for other titles.

Well just for shits and giggles, I reinstalled the game a month ago. After all the patches I was amazed to see so many people still playing this game. Even though the game had a rough 2 years it is great to see them still supporting the game for the people that have stuck with it.

In my opinion, there is no other game on the market that has the same intense teamplay as this game. Even CS and Battlefield don't come close since this game MAKES you work together with your team. People that aren't as good at FPS can help by repairing items and defending so it appeals to all types of players. Like said in an earlier post, my best teamplay memories come from this game.

I guess the point of my ramblings is that it is good to see them still supporting this game and hopefully it will pull in some new players that did not want to take a chance on the game before. It really is a great game!

-Nighthawk

Re: 3 CDs?
Sep 20, 2002, 11:02
Re: 3 CDs? Sep 20, 2002, 11:02
Sep 20, 2002, 11:02

3 CDs don't bother me if they ship it in a real jewel case. I am getting sick of buying games that come in paper sleves, ie. Neverwinter Nights! Talk about trying to cut costs. I am always tryting to find one of them because they get lost in between other games on my rack!

-Nighthawk

31 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older