its nowhere near that expensive to run game servers 24/7... most of it is profit, around 70% of that monthly fee
HA HA HA HA HA HA! Don't we all wish!
Seriously... where did our education system fail in that people can't do basic math anymore?
Here are some things that 10-15 bucks is about equivalent to:
- 1 movie ticket + 1 popcorn (MAYBE)... ~2 hours entertainment.
- ~the cost of one music CD or DVD... 1 to 2 hours entertainment
- about 2 hours of a minimum wage job... ~2 hours of, well 2 hours
- lunch... ~1 hour
- half the money a kid charges to mow 1 single lawn... ~1 hour
- a fee to a game with continuous upgrades, in-game support (what's the last free online game you played that had that?), and 24/7 NOC monitoring of the service. even the most casual player will play for at least 6-8 hours a month, some people put in well over 100 hours a month.
Is that a good exchange rate? You tell me.
Now... how much does it cost to maintain a game the size of EQ (not even to mention a Lineage which dwarfs it)? Let's see, a 24/7 staff of highly trained(=expensive) network engineers monitoring *international* ops, a full time development team of 50+ people, a 24/7 support team of hundreds, ongoing marketing, PR and advertising costs (ever placed a magazine ad? try it)? Do you even have a clue what that costs?
Yet the same people who complain about a 15 buck fee for an online game will happily plop down 20 bucks for the latest <insert today's popstar here> album, which promptly goes in the trash a month later when said icon is no longer cool. Oh wait, forgot... music should be free now to...
Yes... everyone else should spend their blood sweat and tears slaving on creations that will entertain me, but I shouldn't have to pay for it.
I love the internet... *wipes tear from eye*
(i'm not bitter :P)