Total Posts
195 (Novice)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

195 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 10.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ] Older

No subject
Oct 25, 2002, 02:01
No subject Oct 25, 2002, 02:01
Oct 25, 2002, 02:01

I seriously don't think NFS:HP2 warrants a 80% score,especially if u look at it from the perspective of a previous player of the series.

Re: Xoxide Dual Voltage 6 Port Baybus with B
Oct 25, 2002, 01:56
Re: Xoxide Dual Voltage 6 Port Baybus with B Oct 25, 2002, 01:56
Oct 25, 2002, 01:56

"Bribe Success" ala Morrowind.
Just kidding : )
Somehow all the questionable or over-optimistic reviews always reminds me of that part of Morrowind,i dunno why though

No subject
Oct 25, 2002, 01:49
No subject Oct 25, 2002, 01:49
Oct 25, 2002, 01:49

Great,now i can finally move my units around without suffering from finger cramp,especially during periods of military action.(A new "feature" of the CIV III expansion is the ability to move stacked units together as a group)
I guess this feature could be implemented by means of a patch but hey they had to save this for their expansion.
Anyway beggars can't be choosers,and it's a bitch to move 50 or so battle tanks one by one

No subject
Oct 23, 2002, 16:54
No subject Oct 23, 2002, 16:54
Oct 23, 2002, 16:54

I don't think it's something worth dying for(gaming),although most of us here are avid gamers.

The guy probably had some kind of disorder or perhaps some personal problems,and lost himself in the gaming. Or unless he's on speed,which can enable u to go without sleep and food for quite a while.
Otherwise it's quite unbelivable to be sitting down and staring at a screen for 32 hrs without a break.

I live in Singapore,and the cybercafes and entertainment venues here are regulated by law to have certain fixed operating hours. Failure of compliance can lead to fines and/or revoking of license.

So far,there have been no cyber related fatalities here,although i recall a case where a CS player stabbed another player with a blade because he was knifed in the back(LOL)during a CS session and returned the favor to the other guy literally. Em CSers deserve each other anyway.

So yeah i also think regulation,availability,cost,and the general social acceptance of cyber gaming or apathy or ignorance towards the possible problems that can arise from cyber addiction has alot to do with these sudden-death cases at cybercafes.

Anyway,although it's not very smart to play non-stop for 36 hrs and buy the farm because of it,it ain't too nice to make racial jibs just because it's another asian country or keep making sarcastic and holier-than-thou comments about the guy who is already dead. What good will it do to call other people stupid? Does it make yourself feel or look better?

Re: Must have replays...
Oct 19, 2002, 16:40
Re: Must have replays... Oct 19, 2002, 16:40
Oct 19, 2002, 16:40

It's not a lack of a replay function,rather it is the lack of an option to change camera view when you're replaying.
It's still a demo though and i hope the retail will have the usual 7 or 8 camera views.

No subject
Oct 19, 2002, 16:36
No subject Oct 19, 2002, 16:36
Oct 19, 2002, 16:36

Yeah i'll be getting this one. Other than the funny way of "casting" spells,which is just a useless & gimmicky feature to me,because when u need that heal or fireball spell NOW when 3 nasty orcs are behind your ass,u ain't wanna be fumbling with the mouse tracing pretty symbols in the air,hoping u got it right.

Other than that gripe,this game really made me remember Ultima Underworld,with "putting the ear of corn over the fire to make popcorn" kind of gameplay which is damn nostalgic. So far the demo really feels atmospheric and looks good as well.

This game is gonna rock!

Re: Other developers take notice
Oct 18, 2002, 15:44
Re: Other developers take notice Oct 18, 2002, 15:44
Oct 18, 2002, 15:44

I've been waiting for Hitman 2 for quite a while,only to watch it get delayed when it was about to be released. Well,seems like my wait is well worth it.

Other games that i've been really waiting for and delayed include Swat:Urban Justice & Master Of Orion III (maybe since MOO2,and the hottest systems then were Intel 486s,to give a rough timescale). But i'll rather wait longer(since i've waited for so long,what's a few months more?), rather to see a half-assed game being pushed out.

I've recently reinstalled NFS:Porsche Unleashed and had a blast playing it even though it's a DX 7.0 game. It's a good looker even when compared to todays games. Too bad i can't feel the same way about Hot Pursuit 2 though. The amount of polish & attention is just not there.
I guess this is what happens when games are rushed,plus maybe the console development side of the game hurt the pc version.
Sorry for sounding console-phobic,i know it's irrational,but i can't help feeling this way when one of my best loved series turn out this way.

On the other hand,i am grateful for console gems like GTA3 ported over to the PC.

I guess it has nothing to do with developing a multiple platform game,only the developers and publishers are responsible for the final product.

On a side note,IGI was released about the same time as Hitman and i've played both. Both are promising games dragged down by bugs and poor design. IO learnt its lesson and reworked Hitman 2 really well. It's interesting to see how IGI 2 will turn out.

Re: Vice City for PC
Oct 16, 2002, 19:02
Re: Vice City for PC Oct 16, 2002, 19:02
Oct 16, 2002, 19:02

I think the occulsion is much better this time round,and something i heard about "improved data streaming" which enables you to have a better draw distance without all the skips and pauses when loading new graphics. So yeah it might be more optimized this time round. I am thinking however with all the eye-candy,extra polys and lighting effects the system requirements might go up a little.

Still with 9 hrs of audio!(wonder how many CDs will this baby ship in),improved hit detection,shootable tires & drivers,the ability to duck and roll,flyable helicopters,improved NPC AI,and two hours of cutscenes it sounds really worth getting.

Re: Vice City for PC
Oct 16, 2002, 15:35
Re: Vice City for PC Oct 16, 2002, 15:35
Oct 16, 2002, 15:35

I was afraid that VC would be only for the PS2,but this is not the case. I saw a Dev Q&A on VC for PC on Gamespot quite sometime back ago,so it's 100% confirmed that there would be a PC version. I think the sales for GTA3 on PC was pretty good,and it would be silly for Rockstar not to release a PC version,considering the considerable size of the PC fanbase already in place.

One of the main gripes with GTA3 is the length of the game(as with all good games). VC will be twice as big as Liberty City geographically. Add motorbikes,boats and finally some buildings which are more realistic,ie. u can actually walk inside a mall etc, plus the improved graphics engine and i seriously can't wait for this gaming gem to be released.

If everything goes smoothly at Rockstar i think it would be either released during the holiday season or early next year.

Am i getting paranoid?.............
Oct 15, 2002, 17:42
Am i getting paranoid?............. Oct 15, 2002, 17:42
Oct 15, 2002, 17:42

Also,why there doesn't seem to be any night settings in the game,i've browsed thru the NFS webby,and Gamespot and couldn't find a single screenshot showing a racetrack at night! *Screams in horror*

To me,one of the best things about NFS is your ability to tweak the weather/day & night cycles.
The police lights flashing off walls and objects and some of the lighting effects at night are truly stunning.

Like when your Porsche enters an darkened tunnel and u can see your headlights lighting up the way,or German police BMW M5s hot behind your tail chasing you thru the village in Hot Pursuit ala "Police Wildest Chases" with sirens shrieking,night driving is one of the great gaming experiences in NFS.

A NFS without night driving is like drinking non-alcoholic beer,or a 4th of July celebration without the fireworks!

I don't know about the rest,but having a good replay function enhances your experience,like when u power drift between two cars when coming into a wicked corner,or when you took some wicked air and the cop car behind you smashed and flipped,you know,things like that make really good replays. Since the theme on Hot Pursuit is about outrageous driving and wicked air,the exclusion of a good replay function will detract from the enjoyment.
And it was in all the previous NFS games,so why the change now? Every decent motor sim has a good replay function,from Gran Turismo to Superbike from EA.

As with lugnut,i am a long time gamer,and a NFS fan from the 1st game onwards. Funny how things change when EA is doing multiple gaming platforms on the series now. Sure maybe they'll earn more that way but if the result is a lukewarm game and cutting corners(pun not intended)then i'll say the series has taken a step backward,and not foward.

Re: it's ruined
Oct 15, 2002, 16:19
Re: it's ruined Oct 15, 2002, 16:19
Oct 15, 2002, 16:19

1.Agree with you regarding the replay cam. Not too happy myself about the lack of authentic cockpits also. However i am assuming that u are speaking of the DEMO version,as the game has only just only gone gold. The retail version is an unknown as far as i'm concerned. I am seriously hoping that retail will be different,although there's not too great a chance there,as the demo and the gone gold announcement was issued on the same day,which leads me to come to that conclusion.

2.Don't know about you,but i have a mid range rig with a GF3,and the game jerks along at about 30+ fps if all the detail is turned up,EAX sound etc. Pull the world detail down one notch and everything is pretty okay in my book,with 50-70 fps. Kinda funny for someone who's system rocks to get 5 measly FPS? Come mon!

Well,we'll just have to wait and see...........

No subject
Oct 15, 2002, 16:01
No subject Oct 15, 2002, 16:01
Oct 15, 2002, 16:01

Did some tweaking about with the settings,and found out that enabling EAX/D3D sound has a noticeble effect on smoothness of the game. I have an Audigy in my XP1900 rig with a GF 3.

Although the world detail setting has the greatest impact on frame rate, somehow using EAX makes the game more jerky compared to running the sound on Stereo even though the frame rates are relatively the same, give or take 4-6 fps slower when using EAX.

The game has a long history of using EAX in the series and previous iterations were alright. Which leads me to suspect that either the EAX/D3D sound was not optimally implemented,or the Creative sound drivers are not up to scratch,speaking of which,there haven't been an update since January this year,discounting the Compaq unified drivers release.

Anyone experiencing the same thing?

Re: No subject
Oct 15, 2002, 15:00
Re: No subject Oct 15, 2002, 15:00
Oct 15, 2002, 15:00

Although i think the frequency of patches is probably giving the module makers Excederine headaches....lol

No subject
Oct 15, 2002, 14:37
No subject Oct 15, 2002, 14:37
Oct 15, 2002, 14:37

This must be one of the most patched games in recent gaming history,not that i am complaining though,patches are good : )

No subject
Oct 15, 2002, 00:09
No subject Oct 15, 2002, 00:09
Oct 15, 2002, 00:09

Yup i've reached the same conclusions as Ray,there're aren't any cockpit views in all the console versions.
Pity as i find the authentic cockpit view pretty cool for all the cars,with a slightly muffled,different enviromental sound than the other views,which IMO sounds more realistic.

Maybe they are suffering from the "console disease" and left the cockpit artwork and sounds out. Which might be understandable for a game like Gran Turismo as there are hundreds of cars in it but how many cars are there in HP2? 25,30 if u count the cop cars? And it was a feature for all the previous NFS games. It was the kind of polish that made the series really stand out.

I really hope the PC version is different,and i will be keeping my fingers crossed.

195 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 10.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ] Older