Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 3083 (Veteran)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Apr 27, 2018, 21:19 Rigs

I think Bill Cosby is the biggest disappointment of a role-model/father figure to turn out to be corrupted and evil in a long time, maybe in my life. I know that might sound a bit naive` but for me, it's true. For someone that played a man called Cliff Huxtable, you really can't fathom the depths of the depravity he went to and come out without having a very warped view of what it means to be 'good'. We're taught as children, at least when I was a child, that the world is black and white, good and bad, honorable and evil. Then, when you become an adult you find that all of that, while true in some way, relies on a certain point of view. In fact. the world, the universe, is painted in gray. All of it. One man's demon is another man's savior. One man's king is another man's tyrant. And yet, somehow, you're supposed to be able to figure it out and deal with it while being given no tools do so as you get older. Perhaps, that is why the world is gray in the first place.

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Get F1 2015 for Free
4. Re: Get F1 2015 for Free Apr 27, 2018, 21:10 Rigs

What I find odd is that F1 2013 is nowhere to be found and it's the best of the series, aside from F1 2017, because of the 'classic' content. Make 2013 free and I'll be foaming at the mouth for it, even though I already own it because then some of my friends that don't have it can get it and we can rumble!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Solo Goes It Alone
2. Re: Solo Goes It Alone Apr 27, 2018, 21:07 Rigs

*Mandatory joke post about game being mistaken for a Solo movie-tie in here*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > It Lurks Below Early Access
16. Re: It Lurks Below Early Access Apr 27, 2018, 19:13 Rigs

Beamer wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 19:10:
He's right, though. It's a very basic engine. You know it from Starbound, but it looks like hundreds of games.

And it's entirely hand-made. Quick Google: plenty of hits

I wasn't contesting whether he was correct or not. I was pointing out the fact that he didn't bring facts to the argument that I didn't have facts to back up my claims. As I just said below, if I'm wrong, so be it. You obviously knew where to look first, I did not, nor did I have the time to go on a wild goose chase. Not trying to sound like a jerk, I'm just sayin'.

=-Rigs-=

14. Re: It Lurks Below Early Access Apr 27, 2018, 19:01 Rigs

loomy wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 17:43:
this is like disbelief that two circles can't be the same shape. they look like the same engines to you because they're elementary. computer science students build these for classes. if you want to be correct you need to be less confident about things you don't know about

Right. Says the one that gives no sources to back up their claim. Hypocritical much?

Edit: For the record, I actually did try to find info on what kind of engine was used in Starbound and It Lurks Below and found almost nothing of interest. Aside from spending half a day tracking down leads on a curiosity, I went with my assumptions. If you can actually prove them wrong, so be it. But don't call me out on it without anything to actually back your side up when that's the very thing you're accusing me of. It doesn't exactly make you or your counter argument look good.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 2018, 19:16.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2018, 18:58 Rigs

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 18:37:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 18:25:
Congrats, Blue. I wonder if I ever noticed before that your anniversary is on my BD.

Happy Birthday, man! Many returns of the day!

Indeed, Happy Birthday, jd! Cake Gift Beer

=-Rigs-=

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2018, 16:03 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 15:50:
Pigeon wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 13:50:
Happy Aniversary Blue!! I myself may try catching the Avengers this afternoon. They're working on the power-lines around my place so the power is supposed to out for ~10 hours; great reason to go to a movie after work.

On another note I've been noticing some oddities with the UI appearance of image searches when using google on my home machine. Along with listing the source website under every picture (before you click on a picture), when you click on a picture it opens it in a semi-pop up overlay with a white background, as opposed to opening in a horizontal space created below the picture with a black background. Functionally it appears to operate the same, i.e. all the same options are there and clicking on the actual source of the image doesnít redirect to a website other than the identified source.

My first thought was of course that Iíd picked up some kind of malware, but scans from Avira and Malwarebytes returned nothing. Looking through hijackthis and running processes I didnít see anything suspicious (doesnít mean there isnít anything). My only other guess is thereís a customization setting somewhere that Iím not finding.

It persists when I restart Firefox in safe mode, but it does not occur in privacy mode. Iíve not tried booting the whole computer into safe mode. Any thoughts would appreciated, Iíll try to provide screen shots later when I have access to my home computer and the power is back.
Did it have anything to do with this https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/15/17017864/google-removes-view-image-button-from-search-results

When I click on an image it opens a darker background (pop-up?) the width of the page.

I was gonna say that Chrome and Firefox have different layouts in Google Images and at one time I believe they did, slightly, but in the end I was thinking about Bing. Yes, I use Bing, occasionally. I think I'm the only one though.

=-Rigs-=

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2018, 13:48 Rigs

Happy Anniversary, Blue and Mrs. Blue! Goes fast when you're havin' fun! (I mean, so I've heard )

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Influencer to Influence Destiny 2
10. Re: Influencer to Influence Destiny 2 Apr 27, 2018, 11:50 Rigs

loomy wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 17:42:
maybe try not making your gear system a clone of world of Warcraft where it's all disposable shit. hint: godly plate of the whale. MORE ISN'T ALWAYS BETTER

I have to say that's one thing I really don't like about D2. I get a really good looking bow or gun or armor and want to keep it but I can't because it gets leveled out of existence after a little while. So I either purposely handicap myself for looks or just don't worry about it. Not a fan. But I still play D2, sorry to say. Not all the time, mind. Just when I feel like shooting someone in the face.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Apr 27, 2018, 11:38 Rigs

Frans wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 09:19:
Well, the OS upgrade did suffer an unexpected hiccup, needing assistance from data center support -- hence the long outage -- but otherwise encountered no major problems on the website/back-end side. So we're back! <phew>

Doesn't the site run on FreeBSD? Or no, wait, the new thing is O/S2 Warp, right? NeXT OS? I can't keep track of these things anymore...

=-Rigs-=

12. Re: It Lurks Below Early Access Apr 26, 2018, 11:09 Rigs

loomy wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 08:21:
for those of you who don't get it, he made everything here on his own from scratch. engine, art, sound, etc, that's why it looks low cost, because it is. and while it is a diablo and terraria hybrid clone, he and his wife are constantly playing diablo clones for fun and they love them. so if he can share diablo with the world, you can let him share terraria

buy it and play it for an hour and return it if it's not fun

As much as I agree with the sentiment, that engine is far from scratch made. That is definitely whatever engine Starbound used. I dunno if it's a free gaming engine like Unity or Unreal but he didn't make it himself. Even some of the graphics are taken from Starbound, as is the font. Unless it's placeholder.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > PC Building Simulator Builds Real Audience
10. Re: PC Building Simulator Builds Real Audience Apr 26, 2018, 04:28 Rigs

Slick wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 23:33:
Great idea!

Also, I bet it was all about landing that first partner, and then the others would join. I'm hoping that it's success will mean that all major vendors will have their wares listed in this app (game?). It's a pretty great resource, and one of those WTF how did someone not think of this earlier!? games.

Only I actually DID think of this, like two years ago, on my own. I even have dated notes about it to prove it. I had intended doing a demo in Java this summer as I was learning, as a matter of fact. And given there's always room for more than one simulator, I may still just do that. It's not admittedly an original concept but like many 'inventions', sometimes multiple people will come up with the same thing at the same time with no relation to each other.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 25, 2018, 18:24 Rigs

Microsoft moves to terminate fan-made Halo Online mod.

That would be the Elderwito mod, ja? Damn it. That's the closest thing we have to Halo3-esk online gameplay on PC and of course, MS wants to crush it. God forbid us PC players actually get to enjoy it. Halo Online is gone in Russia, where it was released, so why would they even care? Just leave them the fuck alone. You have enough problems with writing yourself out of the fucking hole 343 wrote you into in Halo5. I suggest you worry about that first...

=-Rigs-=

8. Re: It Lurks Below Early Access Apr 25, 2018, 18:17 Rigs

Christ, you people are salty. Make sure to yell at the kids on your lawn too! Then you can show your grand kids the boots you wore walking to school uphill, in six feet of snow, both ways...

This has more of a similar look to Starbound than to Terraria. I don't see anything inherently wrong with that. It's easier to focus on the gameplay than to worry about the graphics engine constantly and it's cheaper, as stated earlier. I have a feeling a lot of you would have said the same of Terraria had it come out now instead of when it did. It's an excellent game, as is Starbound. I think I'll give it a try since I have yet to turn into a pillar of salt...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Parklife Expansion Next Month
1. Re: Cities: Skylines Parklife Expansion Next Month Apr 18, 2018, 21:31 Rigs

More than that, Cities is adding a new radio station: Country Road Radio. The radio host is pure Dixieland Delight, spinning six instrumental tracks and ten songs with original vocals covering Appalachian Folk, Bluegrass/Honky Tonk, Nashville Modern Country and Unplugged country.

Ugh, someone gag me with a red Solo cup...

=-Rigs-=

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2018, 21:23 Rigs

SlimRam wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 19:54:
Harry Anderson of 'Cheers' and 'Night Court' fame has died at the age of 65

Nooo! Dammit.

Not cool, 2018! Party. Fucking. Foul! Don't be getting no '2016' ambitions! You mess with Betty White and it's on, motherfucker!

*writes letter to congressman for increase of funding for on-going Betty White Protection Detail*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: removed Apr 16, 2018, 20:32 Rigs

Rigs wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 20:06:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 16, 2018, 20:11.

So talking about it = condoning it. Good to know. I'll remember that. Pout

=-Rigs-=

23. removed Apr 16, 2018, 20:06 Rigs

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 16, 2018, 20:11.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 14:19 Rigs

Leper wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 12:20:
Vio wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 09:47:
Honestly I think steam sales and game backlogs as a result have done more to prevent piracy than all the copy protections thrown together.

Don't forget all these day 1 patches and then constant updates after that. Most pirated games (at least a few years ago) required a new crack every time there's an update. Who wants to play with an old version of the game? The whole process with keeping your pirated games patched and cracked isn't worth the effort.

No offense, but that's a bit...lazy, don't you think? Again, I am legally obligated to stress, apparently, that I am not condoning piracy by speaking about it. Movingalong If you play a game on a daily basis because you really like it or want to get through it and you encounter problems, I can promise you're gonna be looking for a patch every single day until that problem is acknowledged and fixed.

Piracy groups are usually pretty good at putting out patches for the games they crack. In most cases, more than one group will do so. Why? Status. All through the 90's, the whole point of being in a cracking group was status, rising through the ranks, making a name for yourself and your crew. I'm not kidding. Take a look at an .nfo file from that era and you'll see members names, friendly and rival groups names and the locations of their hangouts plastered all over it. Most collected on BBS's before the web was a thing and even after. Almost every area in the U.S. had a 'Pirate Bay' BBS. Mine did in west central FL in the mid-90's and I met the guy who ran it once as well. (I didn't know it at the time but a friend later confirmed that it was him)

These days it's almost as easy as STEAM to download and patch a cracked game. Sure, you have to do some manual work yourself and know where to look (not to mention know who puts out reliable, trojan-free releases on a continual basis) but it's really no different, in my mind, than modding a game. That requires as much or even more effort. It's a lot easier now than it was during the DOS-era.

=-Rigs-=

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2018, 19:10 Rigs

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 16:53:
Halo reach's campaign is awesome. I remember playing through that with a couple buddies in marathon sessions. One of the best Halo campaigns I've played. I'd probably rank Halo2 as my favorite for the single player campaign, but reach is definitely second. I've only played about half the games though. Didn't fuck with ODST, 4 or 5, wars, etc.

I still havent played through Bioshock 1, let alone Infinite, so don't feel bad there.. in fact, I'm still finishing up Fallout 2 in preparation to start on New Vegas and then 3 / 4.

I only got a 360 in 2014 and up until then, I'd only played HALO 1/2 on PC. (I do have a collectors edition of HALO2 on my original HALO CE Xbox (the green transparent one)) but I am an admitted HALO fanboy and kept track of the Halo story and read the books. When I finally was able to play REACH, it was everything I'd hoped for but I got stuck about midway through the game on one particular mission. Since I play mainly on the PC, using a controller in an FPS took some getting used to and I'm still nowhere near proficient at it. There's no way I'd ever be 'Pro' material on a console. Without the mouse's more precise aim, I'm typically shooting all over the place or not at all when I should be. It's been frustrating and I still haven't gotten past that point. I put it up for a while and went on to HALO4 and, surprisingly, had a much easier time playing it. The shooting felt more natural and precise and while I did struggle at times, I became much better at it, quicker, than I ever did in REACH. I'm not sure what the difference is (besides different developers) but, to me, HALO4 is much easier to play than REACH.

Once I get my system cleaned up and Windows10 installed, I'll probably mess with HALO Wars 2 and the HALO5 Forge. It's the closest thing I can get to HALO5 since I don't have an Xbone. I'm sorely disappointed that 343 didn't release The Master Chief Collection on PC. Even given it's problems, it still would have sold millions.

=-Rigs-=

3083 Comments. 155 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo