Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. Currently, lurking and keeping my mouth shut.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2723 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > More on Dying Light DLC Plans
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2017, 13:18 Rigs

God, do I love this game! I just re-installed it again last night. Couldn't stay away...lol! The atmosphere, the soundtrack...it's just awesome! Wish they'd work on DL2, though, I'm dying (heh) to get into some new stuff. I've 100%'d this game twice, the only one I've ever done. I'm lucky to even finish a game but this one is worth all the time invested. Except for that horrific ending to 'The Following'. In the immortal words of AVGN, 'what were they thinking?!'. Hopefully for Crane, it was all a dream from a nasty fall or something. Geez, that ending is horrible. Anyway, my mods work fine. I have a combined 'Gunshots don't alert virals, dynamic weather and extended day' mod merged with a 'look at your watch key define' mod. No problem with them.

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
7. Re: Saturday Interviews Jul 23, 2017, 14:27 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 23, 2017, 10:53:
Rigs wrote on Jul 23, 2017, 04:48:
I even think they spelled the name of the town wrong, though it's hard to tell. The town was 'Hernando' but it looks like 'Hemando' because of the type face they used at the time.
It was misspelled http://i.imgur.com/FfdlO70.jpg

Yeah, I agree...seeing it blown up and zoomed like that makes it pretty obvious. It was harder to tell back in the day in the magazine itself. Don't know why they got it wrong, not like I spelled it that way in the letter.

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2017, 14:23 Rigs

Go ahead, Blue, I give you permission to go out in (belated) celebration of my b-day, which was the 15th. Though I wonder if Mrs. Blue will start to get suspicious when half the board starts listing their birthdays for reference? Really dyin' for a good steak lately. FL is not the place for steaks, burgers or pizza! Oh, gawd, Jersey pizza! I'd lease my soul for a decent, greasy Jersey pizza! Drool

=-Rigs-=

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2017, 09:18 Rigs

Luke wrote on Jul 23, 2017, 05:07:
Sure sure sure ..sure.

Inquisitive ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?

=-Rigs-=

3. Re: Saturday Interviews Jul 23, 2017, 04:48 Rigs

I remember the years before the ERB. It was a big discussion in the industry, especially in the gaming mags at the time. In fact, I wrote to, and my letter was published in, the August 1994 issue of Computer Gaming World about it (the one with NASCAR Racing on the cover!). I was 15 and thought any kind of 'regulation' of the industry would be it's death. Funny thing was that I signed the letter 'Michael Rigs' but they published it under my full name that I put on the outside of the envelope on the return address. (Long story, we'd moved to FL and were sharing the same mailbox with about five other houses on the block for about three months and it required our 'full and legal' names on all mail) I even think they spelled the name of the town wrong, though it's hard to tell. The town was 'Hernando' but it looks like 'Hemando' because of the type face they used at the time. Oh well. I said my peace. Luckily, it wasn't the end of the world, though it could've been much worse had the government been intent on regulating this industry, especially after Columbine.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2017, 09:21.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
7. Re: Eve Mobile Jul 22, 2017, 02:24 Rigs

Razer is reportedly working on a phone just for gamers.

We've got one, it's called a tablet. I've got a scratched up hand-me-down LG 'Lucky' with an almost-but-not-quite 4 inch screen and you think I can see anything worth a damn on it? Hell no. I downloaded some RPGs on it a couple weeks ago (could only fit TWO on the phone itself because of the pitiful storage...where can I install an SSD in this thing?!) just in case I got caught having to sit for a while somewhere and I'll be damned if I can play any of them! The screen is so small and my keyboard-tuned fingers act like steak fries! 'Course it doesn't help that it's scratched up as well. So, no, no thanks, Razer. I'll stay on the tablet/iPad for my mobile gaming pleasure, thank you very much!

=-Rigs-=

* Having said all that, I get all fuzzy and giddy when I see a Galaxy S8...geezus, what a beautiful piece of tech! I'd get it for the looks alone!

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2017, 09:19.

News Comments > DOOM Patch; Free DLC; Price Drop; Free Weekend
25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2017, 06:16 Rigs

mag wrote on Jul 21, 2017, 01:46:
Dentorro wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 13:15:
FloorPie wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 03:55:
According to windows, my Doom install is now only 67GB. IIRC, before mega patch it was 78GB.

I think you are thinking of the hi rez texture pack of fallout 4

Fallout 4 was 78GB? Goddamn. It was kind of an ugly game, too.

Heh, yeah, I just got my 1050ti/4gb the other day (frakkin' awesome! what a difference from my 7850/1gb! - DOOM on ULTRA all the way and way beyond playable, my jaw was on the floor! I couldn't believe it. I figured it'd chug a little, at least but nope. And then I find out it was on the Vulkan-setting!? I thought that was AMD only? Still worked great) and was trying all my games out again to see the differences (like a kid on Christmas!). I loaded up Fallout4 thinking it was gonna blow my mind like DOOM did and be a major upgrade (and not so frakkin ugly) buuut...not quite. Oh, it ran beautifully. Like 90+ fps on my old 7850 settings (which were basically low, low, and, oh, low). But the graphics and textures themselves, while clearer and not as blurry and washed out were...not as jaw dropping. I'm sorry to say but Fallout4, while in spots can be a real looker with the right lighting and time of day and landscape view, is mostly ugly as sin. So much brown and gray. I have like 30 mods running, too and they don't seem to help very much in the looks department. I don't have the HD texture pack installed, however. So maybe that will help. It's gonna have to wait though, because...

36gigs?!? Are you frakkin' kidding me?!? GTFOH, mate! I saw the news post and then went into STEAM thinking it would be a quick download and luckily I watched it before it started actually downloading and when it said '36gb', I was like, 'Nope!', that ain't happenin'. Especially at the end of the month on my excessively-data-capped-sorry-excuse-for-a-broadband-provider-satellite-connection?! You must be mad...

=-Rigs-=

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2017, 02:02 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 18:42:
Tan Mom. She's from Nutley, NJ. That's all you need to know.

We're not all from the shore, you know, jd...

In fact, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised what the rest of the state is like, especially where I was born and raised in the NW NYC suburbs...

=-Rigs-=

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2017, 02:01 Rigs

*REMOVED*

* as authorized by El Presidente

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2017, 13:36.

17. Re: New Video Card REDUX Jul 15, 2017, 16:57 Rigs

SlimRam wrote on Jul 15, 2017, 08:11:
Rigs wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 20:54:
My local Best Buy has an EGA 1050ti for $169 and I might just take a early morning ride tomorrow to grab it (which is an hour and a half away) instead of waiting for NewEgg to send it as a birthday present to myself.
When's your B-Day? Mine's the 18th

Today! (July 15th, 1978, 2:55am, Newton, NJ...during a horrendous thunderstorm, so I've been told)...

Happy (early) Birthday, Slim! (If I'm not around in a few days)

And I'm now the proud owner of an EGA nVidia 1050ti/4gb! Fixin' to install it now...yay!

=-Rigs-=

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 15, 2017, 01:54 Rigs

Hoop wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 23:27:
Well I posted the newegg link to the EVGA 1050ti for a reason having just bought the 1070 version.
As the user reviews state best build quality of the lot, quieter under load too.
I've done all the reviews EVGA nose ahead, would not go for the gigabyte it's pretty generic.

Yup, that's actually where I started from in looking at all the 1050, 1060, 1070, RX450-480's and narrowing it down to 1050's and 1060's. I appreciate the link. EGA looks to be the best for 1050ti's. It's just so weird getting back into the nVidia ecosystem again...but exciting, too! How's the 1070? (as if I need to ask Giggle )

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 21:15:
What you spend in gas counters any savings.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487291

Certainly seems that way but I don't like to wait. If it wasn't the weekend, I wouldn't mind so much but if I order it today, it won't get here until Tuesday/Wednesday. Or I could just take a an hour and some ride to Ocala....I just won't put the a/c on...

=-Rigs-=

11. New Video Card REDUX Jul 14, 2017, 20:54 Rigs

Ok, so I've decided on the card I'm getting. A lot of you gave the 1060 as a good choice but unfortunately, the price is just too high. I know I gave $200-$350 but in retrospect, that was too much. I wish I could go for a 1060/6gb, which seem to be very hot right now. 1070's and AMD-equivalents are just too far out of reach and way, way over-priced. I mean, RX480's for over $500?! Come on. If you're gonna spend that much, you might as well go for the 1080, you know?

Anyway, after much debate and thinking (and juggling the checkbook), I've narrowed it down to a 1050ti/4gb for $165. I wanted something with a good amount of RAM and the RX460's all usually have just 2gb of RAM. It's just not enough for the asking price, IMO. I found some odder deals, like a 960/2gb for $170 and 1060/3gb for $249 and even 770's for $200. But, in the end, the 1050ti with 4gb just seemed the best fit for the money spent. I think, going from an HD7850/1gb, it will be more than enough of a difference to keep me tied over until I need to build a new system.

Now, the question is what brand? XFX and EGA look like the front runners here but I've heard good things with Gigabyte and really horrible stories with MSI. Any thoughts?

My local Best Buy has an EGA 1050ti for $169 and I might just take a early morning ride tomorrow to grab it (which is an hour and a half away) instead of waiting for NewEgg to send it as a birthday present to myself. I'll come back and give details on it's performance and difference to the HD7850 if I do decide to go. (This will be the first non-AMD video card I've gotten in...over 10 years! My first AMD/ATI was the venerable 9800Pro, which replaced my ailing Geforce2MX) Hell, on second thought, I might just sleep in...lol!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 14, 2017, 20:31 Rigs

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 19:57:
Hot damn, and I thought I had it bad. I did a trial with 400mbit cable (Vodafone) where I live, still have a 6mbit DSL line that is not filtered/measured/metered

When I used 70gb a day streaming from Netflix 4K as test, everything was fine, but as soon as I had to download something sized 2.6mb from dropbox, I got downrated to 128kbit/s for an entire 24 hours from that moment on, which meant I couldn't use my paid for 400mbit Internet connection for WORK. You can guess how fast I revoked the contract. ~.~

When I tested this, it seemed that as soon as I am over 10gb down/up combined, even a single connection to a filehoster (I need them for my work) throttles the connection down for 24hrs. Torrents as well (which kicked me really hard when I wanted to download via Battle.net D3)

TL;DR, I am still stuck on an unlimited/unthrotttled 6mbit DSL line because of this shit. And I can hardly fathom how you live with 10GB monthly limit, that's just crazy, I can't even handle a 10gb DAILY limit and I am NOT a heavy user....

You have my pity

Heh, I would absolutely cherish a broadband-ish connection with no cap like it was crystal clear mountain water welling up in the desert! Seriously. I didn't even tell you how much I pay for this privilege...and it's not as easy an answer as you might think. We have a two-year contract (because DISH) and it was supposed to be $49/month.

But.

We found as the months went on, the price would keep going up and up. Finally found out that there's an option within the online account settings that lets a user on the account charge $10 for a GIG of extra data if you've gone over your daily cap. So that' $10 for one gigabyte. It's like asking $5 for a pack of gum or $5 for a gallon of gas when the station on the other side is selling it for $2, you just wouldn't do it. EVER. No matter how desperate. But, apparently, and this is where DISH's wonderful 'heard-all-the-heartbreaking-stories' comes in again, someone on our account was hitting it up for this $10/1gig 4-5 times a month! Who? I haven't found out yet. But DISH, of course, hears me say, 'I dunno who did it, I didn't do it!', gives you the Bored look and says 'sorry, can't help you' because it came from our IP address, so, of course, I did it and just don't want to pay for it. Until two months ago, when our bills were coming in at $89 and $100/month (fucking Christ! For this?!?), I had no idea the option even existed until they pointed it out. Since then I've done everything I can to block the page, block all users on the wifi except those I allow, even SHUT DOWN the router at night when everyone goes to bed...only for it to show up next month same as before!

So, that's a thing. And, living with a 10gb/month cap? You get creative. I download most updates in the 2am-8am range and only watch Youtube at the beginning of the month or else it's 144p and waiting 20 mins for it to buffer. Before last year, when I moved here, we were on a 50gb down/15gb up cable connection and I had the audacity to complain about it then. Oh how I'd like to punch myself in the face now...

=-Rigs-=

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 14, 2017, 19:17 Rigs

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 17:19:
Wait...you're on dialup? Please tell me that's an exaggeration. I'm on a rather sketchy 18mb until they roll fiber through my neighborhood, that sort of download is a "welp, it'll be done by the time I get home from work tomorrow" for me.

Not much of an exaggeration, to be honest. I'm on satellite, (there's no DSL or cable in my little spot (in the middle of nowhere), though there's cable about a mile and a half down the street. If we pay $9,000 plus labor, they'll install the cable...oh, and get 400 signatures) supposedly 20 down and 5~ish up but I've never seen close to that. In addition to the major latency (which is to be expected on a satellite, so I won't knock it for that), the killer for me is the fucking data cap!

I had satellite internet way back in 2008, when we got 6 down and 1 up but we had NO cap! Now, almost ten years later, when it makes no sense, there's one. In a day and age where HD movies are streamed to multiple spots in a household, along with streaming music and gaming, Hughes/Dish/AT&T et al. think a 10gb day cap (8am-2am) for THE MONTH is reasonable! Wtf (If you manage to stay up until 2am-8am (or get up super early), you can use a 50gb cap for the month).

My house, which has only two computers and two tablets (one droid, one Gen2 iPad), goes through the 10gb cap in SIX DAYS. After which, we are throttled to ISDN speeds, 128k down! I'm not kidding. So we have to go the rest of the month at ISDN speeds for our daily 'surfing' (unless we stay up). We managed to last 8 days this time, we now have 12 days before we reset (every 26th). God have mercy on our souls.

If all that wasn't bad enough, DISH doesn't play fair. Our cap will go down even when we're not using it. Last year, when Hurricane Hermine came smashing through, we lost power for exactly 36 hours. Before the power went out, we had 2 gigs and change left on our cap. When we got power 36 hours later, it was gone. When you call and complain, they treat you like they've heard it all before, akin to telling a teacher your dog ate your homework and won't do anything about it. Many have complained, including me. They do nothing.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2017, 19:30.

10. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 14, 2017, 16:39 Rigs

Yeah, ORigin was screaming this at me this morning when it needed to do it's weekly shit, shower and shave (update). I would try it if my internet connection wasn't such shit. I was checking out the Battlefront trial too, 10 hours on that but the download is a 56k-frying 53 gigs! Like, WTF?! I'm not gonna be able to play the whole thing in ten hours (well...ok, probably not ALL of it...there is that weird diorama mode...lol). No thanks, EA! How bout you just gives us what we need at that moment and then send us the rest piece-meal once we get to that point, eh? No? I thought not.

=-Rigs-=

18. Re: OOTB Jul 14, 2017, 16:18 Rigs

Thanks for the opines, guys, I'll let you know what happens in a few days...

Beamer wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 16:29:
Oh man. I built a very similar system back in 2010. I had the 750, and went NVIDIA but had the 480, which was a very comparable GPU. I had 12GB RAM, which I upgraded in maybe 2014. I built a new one last year because it finally died (it always had some kind of power issue I could never figure out.)

This was actually the second system I built. I originally built a Core2Duo system in early 2009 but then realized that it was immediately obsolete because of the release of the Core i-series. So, I sold my first system to my cousin who was looking for a game machine and quickly built my current one in February of 2010 with the funds. At first, it had 2gb of DDR3-1066 and an HD4870/512mb but then I replaced it with 4gb of DDR3-1333 and an HD5870/1gb. Three years on, I put in an HD7850/1gb and a little after that, 12gb and then 16gb of DDR3-1600.

The only problem I had with it, at first, was it's general instability in games. It would crash at random all the $^*(*^@$ time! For no apparent reason. But a BIOS update fixed that and it's now solid as a rock. The only way to get it tipsy now is to overclock the RAM to anything over 1600. Then it does some weird shit at random.

In fact, funny story...(for those that get their special snowflake panties in a bunch when I ramble on, it's hidden - you're welcome!) The first time I overclocked my new 16gb of DDR3-1600 to 17xx something or other, it did something totally stupid each and every time I rebooted! First it wouldn't finish loading Windows7. Then it would finish but BSOD at login. Then it would login but then go into SLEEP Mode (which I have disabled) and promptly go comatose. Then it loaded Windows7 perfectly fine...until Explorer.exe crashed every minute or so.

I have never seen a system habitually shit the bed in such interesting and varied ways before because of a slight overclock of the RAM! And every since, it would do some weird, almost totally random thing whenever it was overclocked...which is nice as a party trick, but not good for data integrity...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2017, 20:37.

10. Re: OOTB Jul 13, 2017, 16:01 Rigs

Ok, guys, another technical question (kinda)...first my system specs:

Gigabyte P55M-UD2
Core i5-750/2.6ghz (first gen)
16gb DDR3-1600
XFX Core HD7850/1gb

Aside from the fact that I have a seven year old system (that I'm painfully aware of), my current financials allow one upgrade atm and I've decided for it to be the video card. I had an idea to upgrade the CPU to an i7/XEON equivalent (that the motherboard can support, socket 1156) but the cost-to-performance ratio is way too small to justify it right now. I found a refurb'd XEON for $37 but the i7's are still way too high (almost criminally so for first gen parts!)...

So the video card it is. But which to get? I know there's a shortage of cards right now (thanks miners! jerks! never think about the rest of us!) and, thus, the cost is higher than it should be but in your opinion, in the $200-$350 range, what card would give the most benefit? And now that AMD/nVidia are flooding the market with new stock while miners' old cards are being thrown out there because the difficulty in mining Etherium now is too high for those with under 10-20 cards, shouldn't the price drop like a rock soon? I've read that getting a mining card for cheaper isn't that bad and it works fine?

So what say you? My thoughts are a new R570 or GT1070 with at least 4gb. I don't know if the performance on a R560/1060 would be worth it? Would love to get a R480 or 1080ti but I don't think I can get that lucky...I can dream, though, I guess... Sigh

=-Rigs-=

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2017, 16:07 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 11, 2017, 13:27:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 11, 2017, 13:05:
In the near future, all national holidays will be replaced with corporate ones. We'll have the day off in order to facilitate our capitalist orgy of spending.
I order everything from Taco Bell using Taco Bell internet and I can either have it delivered by Taco Bell home delivery or just pick it up at the Taco Bell counter. Oddly enough, their Brawndo slushies mutilate thirst on a hot summer day.

Hmmm, did they outlaw swearing, too? Is murder/death/kill a thing?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2017, 02:47 Rigs

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 13:07:
I love roller coasters/amusement park rides.

I think VR is pretty cool but having tried it a few times; I can say that I'll probably never get one. It's so disorientating to me since my body isn't moving but there's simulation of moving in the game.

I played Eve Valkyrie and couldn't walk afterwards I was so dizzy.. It's not something I can see myself doing. Doing rolls and looking over your shoulder to see the guy and shoot at him... ugh vomit.

Well, your name is Tipsy McStagger...

I'd love to try the VIVE at some point. Being in nowhere north FL doesn't lend to too many opportunities for something like this, unless someone you know has one or you buy one yourself. I tried out the Samsung Gear with an S7 in Best Buy a few months ago and that was pretty awesome, though it just amounted to a larger 'virtual' screen that you had to pan your head around to see everything. Cool in concept but I could see it getting old after a while. Too bad there's not like a demo trial period or something with these. I mean, I suppose you could get a refund but that's a hassle. *sigh* Just gonna have to wait, I guess...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > F1 2017 Trailer
1. Re: F1 2017 Trailer Jul 8, 2017, 21:54 Rigs

I remember when
I remember, I remember when I lost my mind
There was something so pleasant about that place
Even your emotions have an echo in so much space

Hmmm, I was just listening to that yesterday...so I guess this is just a puff trailer with nothing of substance? I think F1 2013 stills holds the bar with 'classic' content. It'll be interesting if they try to raise said bar with this new installment...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2017, 04:40.

2723 Comments. 137 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo