Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2793 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 1, 2017, 08:48 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 13:32:
At work we're trying like hell to get off our IBM mainframes. Maintenance costs are killing us.

You have successfully piqued my curiosity...please, do tell!

=-Rigs-=

'But what does 'optional' mean?! It's video games, playing them at all is 'optional'! Sticking a broom handle up your ass is 'optional', doesn't mean I wouldn't really like to do it!' -Yahtzee
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Emulation and the Law
11. Re: Emulation and the Law Oct 1, 2017, 08:45 Rigs

DarkCntry wrote on Oct 1, 2017, 03:54:
Suppa7 wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 21:49:
Rilcon wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 21:08:
I'd jest with the old "you must be fun at parties" quip, but I kinda doubt you get invited to any.

I could care less about your insult, the reality is all these things exists because the masses are morons. Anyone with any intelligence knew mmo's were scams from the get go. This all happened because of the normalisation of being fucked by game companies because the masses are too stupid and tech illiterate to participate in the videogame market. That's reality.

That league of legends and dota 2 are even pieces of game software entirely controlled by game companies held hostage on their servers is overwhelming proof the masses are idiots.

Pre high speed internet the stupid fucks couldn't fuck up PC gaming, post high speed internet penetration companies can simply force games to be server locked because we are nowhere near close enough to the business for there to be any fear of offices being stormed. That's the reality.

The market is a myth could only work if there was genuine way to hold these companies accountable so they couldn't produce games in this hostile way to begin with.

All I can see here is "hey you kids, get off my lawn" rhetoric.

Albeit, it's also about as asinine as you can get, seeing as MMOs were not the first server-controlled variations of gaming out there, nor was DRM some new-fangled device thought up in the last couple decades.

I also do dislike it when people resort to calling others illiterate of a subject when they, themselves, seem to be pretty lacking on knowledge in the subject.

How TF did you just write exactly what I was just thinking?! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

=-Rigs-=

'But what does 'optional' mean?! It's video games, playing them at all is 'optional'! Sticking a broom handle up your ass is 'optional', doesn't mean I wouldn't really like to do it!' -Yahtzee

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 30, 2017, 18:39 Rigs

Wii Shop Channel shuts down in 2019.

Just as long as they keep the soundtrack...or...maybe not...

=-Rigs=

News Comments > Microsoft Allegiance Revival
9. Re: Microsoft Allegiance Revival Sep 30, 2017, 16:51 Rigs

Stormsinger wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 16:45:
Earth and Beyond was the online game that had three different types of experience (combat, mining and exploring), wasn't it?

This site will tell you any and everything you ever wanted to know about it far better than I ever could...

Note: If you have Flash enabled, there's an audio file that plays when the page loads and if you have your sound up high, it'll be extremely loud. Other than that, the site is extensive!

=-Rigs-=

7. Re: Re: Microsoft Allegiance Revival Sep 30, 2017, 16:45 Rigs

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 16:41:
Rigs... get the hell out of my downstairs closet and put all my Beta CD's back in the box!

Ha! NEV-AH!

*runs out the door with armload of cds, dropping a few running down the street, cackling like a lunatic*

=-Rigs-=

5. Re: Microsoft Allegiance Revival Sep 30, 2017, 16:32 Rigs

NKD wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 15:01:
I think I remember participating in a beta for this game way back before its original release.

I still have my beta kit with the paperwork and NDA from MS! (I keep a record of all the games I beta test, now getting close to 125 (123 to be exact, the last was War In The West' by Matrix and on-going, constant testing of 'Empyrion') over twenty-odd years) I wish they would bring back 'Earth and Beyond'! I fuckin' LOVED that game! And they shut it down so quick, I never understood why? It was so cool! If any game needs to be revived, it's that!

EDIT: I just found out there's an emulator for it! OMG! OMG! OMG!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2017, 16:42.

News Comments > Battle.net Mobile App
6. Re: Battle.net Mobile App Sep 27, 2017, 16:30 Rigs

*robotic voice* Oh, yay...I needed this in my life. Thank you, Blizzard.

=-Rigs-=

Disclaimer: If you, for some reason, find my post offensive, you're invited to let me know here. Be sure to LIKE, subscribe and if you really like me, donate to my Patreon. Thanks for being swell!

News Comments > Halo Wars 2: Awakening The Nightmare Released
1. Re: Halo Wars 2: Awakening The Nightmare Released *SPOILERS!* Sep 27, 2017, 12:39 Rigs

I can sum up this expansion like so:

'Brother! Get that <turret, defense, thing> working!'

'Brother! I'm an idiot and released the Flood!'

'Yes, Brother!, you're an idiot, but you're my Brother!, I won't leave you behind!'

'FALL BACK!!!'

'The Flood are infinite and unstoppable!'

'We stopped the Flood!'

Atriox: 'Clean up your mess and then you will have to deal with ME!'

THE END.

*ugh* Who writes this schlock?!? I thought the idea of going back to 'High Charity', which crashed on The Ark in Halo3, was great! You could do so much with it, like showing what happened to the billions of Covenant that were living there. (Especially the San-Shyuum (Prophets), who haven't been seen or heard from since the end of HALO3) Granted, you go there in HALO3, but you don't see much. This was a chance to see it in glorious BLUR cinematics. And the idea that The Ark's monitor had Sentinels erect a giant shield around the crash site to keep the Flood in was a great story device, too. But...they do absolutely nothing with it! Nothing. You get there, burn a hole, let the Flood out and then it's a constant running retreat. It's shown that the Sentinels are turned off before they get to High Charity, but apparently only in that area. Where's the monitor? Where's the Sentinels in the rest of the Ark? Surely they would have detected a breach? And we never go back to High Charity. I had hoped you could after your retreat and small victory of that Flood...thing. But, alas, no. Atriox shows up, gives you hell, foretells your death when you're done cleaning up the rest of the outbreak and it's done. Where are the humans? What are they doing this whole time? You run into one scouting party that's quickly wiped out. But nothing after. And what about the end of the main game with the Guardian? Nothing.

Very disappoint.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2017, 15:53.

News Comments > Call of Duty: WWII Beta Preloads
8. Re: Call of Duty: WWII Beta Preloads Sep 26, 2017, 18:53 Rigs

Beamer wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 12:56:
Smoke Wagon wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 07:08:
I've heard that PC MP is limited. Like, 6 vs 6 or some crazy crap like that. Is that true? I thought/hoped COD WWII would have at least 32 person mp (maybe even 64?)...?

On the flip side, if you want that, you can play that. Battlefield offers it. Some people still prefer smaller experiences. I personally hate Battlefield, but love Counter Strike. CoD is more akin to old DM games, with smaller maps and smaller battles. One person can have a big impact, and it's a blast. Put me there with 63 other people and I get bored.

I don't think I'll ever forget playing the original 'Battlefront 2' online on the (I think) the Bespin map with max players and there was one meeting point on the whole map, which you could hear all the way from the spawn point. Sounded like a munitions factory going up - constantly. I couldn't even get close, was either sniped off a platform or blown all the way back to the spawn platform by one of about a million explosives...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 26, 2017, 02:19 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 13:26:
NKD wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 08:40:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 04:28:
NKD wrote on Sep 24, 2017, 21:52:
Still J.R.E.

What were you expecting, the Spanish Inquisition?

Okay I guess my reference was a BIT obscure.

I should have gotten that reference, given I spent a few years listening to Dre and Snoop.

Heh...back in Christmas '93, I asked my Mom for DRE, Snoop and Stone Temple Pilots' 'Core' album (yeah, I'm one of those weird ones that listens to all sorts of music...I can listen to heavy metal one minute and smooth jazz (straight off The Weather Channel itself!) the next). She got me DRE and Snoop but refused to get me STP because of the image on the back of the cd (I'm assuming it's Scott Weiland's naked back as he crawled in a fetal position) and the fact the first two tracks are 'Dead and Bloated' and 'Sex Type Thing'. Drugs, pimps, hoes = good...death, sex and trippin' balls = bad! Got it, Mom!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Depth Free Weekend
5. Re: Depth Free Weekend Sep 24, 2017, 19:07 Rigs

I just want an updated remake of 'Sea Rogue'! Anyone ever play that? God, that would be so cool! And we could add in realistic ocean bottom wrecks like battleships, aircraft carriers, the Titanic, the Yamato, the Bismark! Maybe have a tripped-out mode where you wander into the Bermuda Triangle and get transported to some alien land a la 'Subnautica'? Or you run into the crashed wreckage of Flight 370 or Amelia Earhart's plane? So many possibilities...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 23, 2017, 23:35 Rigs

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 18:19:
WaltC wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 11:55:
For most Mac users, booting up is a "complex" endeavor...;)

Maybe, but there's a not insignificant subset of Mac users for whom a complex endeavor consists of writing a feature extractor that computes the cosine similarity of the vector space of WiFi MAC address/normalized RSSI tuples for use in a reinforcement learning ML model to infer optimal reporting rates in another module. That subset of Mac users are called software engineers, and they use a Mac because they need a Unix/Linux system in order to be able to do the aforementioned complex endeavor, and underneath the glossy exterior, MacOS is a standards compliant Unix system.

Uhhh...thanks for that...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Consortium: The Tower Early Access
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 22, 2017, 13:37 Rigs

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 11:53:
Lookin' mighty rough this one...

Huh?! I thought it looked pretty bad-ass...did you even play the first one?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 22, 2017, 13:22 Rigs

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 20:02:
Good ol Jumpgate. Always tried to fly through gates backwards. Does VO use the same type of Newtonian-ish flight engine?

It's more Star Wars-style, though there is an option to 'disconnect' like in Elite: Dangerous.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 21, 2017, 19:47 Rigs

Vendetta Online on the App Store

One of the most under appreciated MMO space-sims out there! Seriously, it's been going for years and years, has an awesome community and devs and the game is about as fun and playable as Privateer! It's not a graphical powerhouse like Elite: DangerDog or Star Marine Citizen 42, but it's got it where it needs it and is constantly being worked on and upgraded. If you haven't checked it out yet, I strongly suggest you do so! (In a lot of ways, it reminds me of the ol' game Jumpgate...'member that one?)

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Project CARS 2 Launch Trailer
4. Re: etc Sep 21, 2017, 02:05 Rigs

MisterBenn wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 01:41:
I've kept an eye on this chap, he seems like a big fan of racing and sim racing and comes across as knowing his stuff... he is rating Project Cars 2 as pretty good at this point, somewhere resembling Assetto Corsa in terms of simulation (at the general appeal end of the Racing Simulator market, rather than the most fanatical end) - and he's been playing with VR in recent videos and called it a great deal of fun. He's a pretty entertaining chap and really gets into the races!

Pretty good, though, personally, I recommend 'Empty Box' if you really want to see someone that has their shit together and knows how to handle a racecar. The guy is a natural and makes even me jealous! He's not big on 'PC2', like at all, he didn't like the original either, but he's big on iRacing, Assetto Corsa and older sims like GT Legends, Gran Turismo 2 (ok, not 'technically' a sim but close), GPL (Grand Prix Legends) and rFactor. Watching him makes me feel like a fucking amateur and I've been doing it since Indy500 and World Circuit with my IBM PS/1 486SX/25 and CH Virtual Pilot! Still, thanks for the heads up, I'd not heard of this guy until now and I'll be checking more of him out...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 20, 2017, 14:46 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 12:40:
Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 12:26:
Oh good, so he got zero months of jail. That's even better!

One time lapses in judgment put people in jail for possessing 2 grams of TEH WEED, but hey, if you were extorting people, that's just perfectly fine.
I suggest you smoke your straw man.
The drug trade is responsible for thousands of deaths in the US and an untold number in Mexico.

The prosecutors asked for no time and no time was given.
But this is America and we have the highest per capita incarceration rate in the world, so I can see your point.

Relax, I don't think Creston was trying to harp on a certain subject (ie. drug offenses) but just used that as an example off the top of his head. So touchy sometimes...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: etc Sep 19, 2017, 20:08 Rigs

Jivaro wrote on Sep 19, 2017, 19:19:
The Collectors Edition was 200 bucks this time around. I am not really sure many people would say it was worth it. Four character statues of good quality and a battery powered display case with all six infinity gems lit up accompany the standard digital assortment of skins and a theme. I am a sucker for the statues but the Infinity Stones look cheap. They look like someone cut those cheap plastic Easter eggs in half and put leds under them. Seriously. Being a cosplayer I am more likely to dissect the case and put the stones in a handmade Infinity Gauntlet after touching them up a bit myself as opposed to adding the stones and their case to my mancave display shelf.

Very good review! A friend of mine has been playing this non-stop and he honestly considered calling in his vacation/sick days for the whole of next week. I said he was insane. He agrees.

Kotaku had a thing about the 'Collectors Edition' and the Infinity Stones looking like cheap Easter Eggs. People aren't happy and I don't blame them, for the money it cost. From what was said in the comments, the eggs (ahem! I mean 'stones') and statues were done by 'Project Triforce' and they seem to have the dubious honor of being...substandard.

Anyway, I wanted to give a heads up to anyone using a small Chrome extension called 'SafeBrowse'...I had this installed for quite a while now. It allows you to bypass Adfly, Linkbucks and all those 'middle-man' link money-makers that you usually see on sites like GameCopyWorld and they're really prevalent in the Minecraft modding community.

Well, apparently this extension has gone to the dark side.

While this extension does in fact bypass the advertisements on these types of URLs, what it does not tell you is that it also injects a in-browser Monero miner into Chrome that utilizes over 50% of your CPU while the browser is running.

While I was on TPB this afternoon, I remembered that there was talk of TPB using a bitcoin miner while browsing on the site and I wanted to see if it was, indeed, using my CPU resources. So when I went into 'Task Manager', sure enough, something was using around 50% of my CPU! Further digging showed it was Chrome but it was coming from an extension - SafeBrowse. I wasn't sure why TPB was using this particular extension for it's dirty work, so I shut it down and went poking around on Google. When trying to bring up the extensions spot on the Google App Store for Chrome, it was gone, it gave me a '404'. Odd. Even the cached version was gone! More searches brought up the article linked above at 'BleepingComputer'. This all apparently just happened today and I just, totally by coincidence, noticed it. It had nothing to do with TPB at all! So I uninstalled the extension. I don't know if someone took over the extension on the App Store or the dev really did go over to the Dark Side or what. But if you happen to have it installed, GET RID OF IT!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2017, 20:29.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: etc Sep 18, 2017, 17:47 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Sep 18, 2017, 17:29:
There will not be an eighth world power.

Hmmm, why don't you and me come back to this discussion in about 100 years or so, yes? I'm pretty sure things will be a bit different by then...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Warframe Plains of Eidolon Trailer
25. Re: etc Sep 18, 2017, 17:34 Rigs

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 18, 2017, 13:54:
You fools can all go and make jokes all you like but the fact remains - quake champions will have no sdk, level editing or modding... the fact that you would celebrate it is a sign we live in an idiocracy.

You know, the funny thing is I don't give two duck phucks and a rabbit about Quake Champions. I don't know where you get that I'm defending it or even talking about it. I don't play it and haven't, nor do I plan to.

You need to get out more, son. This whole 'You against The World' thing isn't working out. Maybe pay more attention to what people are actually saying instead of what you want to yell in their face back at them. You're the kind of person that has the argument all thought out before you even have someone to argue with!

But what am I saying, you're not gonna listen. Hell, you're probably thinking about what lame come back you'll respond with. If you don't listen to anything else but this, just know that not everything is a contest that needs to be won. You don't have to act like someone insulted your mother when having a discussion. But, then, everyone over the age of 15 should know that already.

=-Rigs-=

2793 Comments. 140 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo