Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 3038 (Veteran)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced
28. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 18:54 Rigs

Creston wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 18:21:
GUYZ I NLY GET 12 FPS ON LOW IN SKRYIM HALP!

Did you install the latest Detonator drivers?! And don't forget to update DirectX 5! Maybe rebooting into MS-DOS mode will help instead of doing it through Windows98. I hear 98SE takes a lot of resources...think I'll stick with 95SR2 for now, even tho I can't use my new printer... Wacko

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 17:38 Rigs

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 16:46:
I would surmise effective thermal management. My "old" machine with a 970 in it is also whisper quiet under most cases when gaming and it is sitting in a rack right next to me. Granted, I am not using a "PC" case per se. I'm using a 4U rackmount chassis with three fans in front, three fans midplane, and four fans at the rear which provide excellent axial flow. However, PC cases have come a long, long way since the old Antec pedestal chassis and desktop pizza boxes in terms of effectively moving cold air in and hot air out. Even when I have 10 VMs running and working, the stock cooler doesn't spin up to even the middle of its RPM range.

10 VM's at once?! I must really be using my system wrong because the other day when I was using a Linux VM it nearly brought it to it's knees. I mean, a Core i5-750/2.8, 14gb DDR3 and a 1050ti/4gb isn't exactly shabby. Then again, as RedEye can attest, my drives are just tad bit fragmented (and full), so maybe that's why. I guess it's time I did some spring cleaning on the old girl. Eight years old now and still goin' as my daily driver. I really can't complain, it's been the best system I ever built. *shrugs*

Creston wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 14:44:
I let an arbitrary things like 9000 dollars for an extra cooler stop me.

Seems legit. Fair enough.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2018, 14:33 Rigs

Exit scammers run off with $660 million in ICO earnings.

Investors have been told that they would enjoy a profit rate of 48 percent a month from their initial investment, and recoup all investments after four months. People would also be rewarded with an eight percent commission for every new member they have introduced to the network.

Rotfl

Whoever puts money into this bullshit deserves losing their money.

=-Rigs-=

17. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 14:25 Rigs

Creston wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 14:15:
Don't confuse the Wraith cooler with the garbage that Intel ships with their processors. The Wraith cooler is fucking awesome. It easily overclocks my 1700 from 3Ghz to 3.8Ghz and is still just dead SILENT at that point. In fact, my whole PC is whisper silent.

That's still well below my arbitrary 7ghz threshold, Creston. C'mon, man! You're not gonna let a little thing like heat stop ya, right?

=-Rigs-=

9. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 12:07 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 11:24:
Rigs wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 11:04:
=- /s -=
You should really put a /s on that lest someone think you actually believe what you posted.
https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2014/02/19/why-has-cpu-frequency-ceased-to-grow
Who says I was being /s?

mag wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 11:34:
That's not what Moore's Law is.
Ignoring Ah huh! I looked it up and everything!

ExGemini wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 11:49:
*hands him a warm cup of cofee*
Here you go mate
Oh, hey, thanks! Saved me a trip to the kitchen! Coffee

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Conan Exiles Trailer Celebrates Next Month's Launch
2. Re: Conan Exiles Trailer Celebrates Next Month's Launch Apr 13, 2018, 11:20 Rigs

So, having never played this before, is it completely PVP with a little PVE here and there or is there actual single-player content in it? Because if I can play single-player, that would be awesome, though it looks like your hard work building a house can be crushed in like two seconds, which I would imagine would be quite...frustrating.

=-Rigs-=

2. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 11:04 Rigs

So is this where we are now? Forget GHZ, lets see how many cores we can stuff into a microscopic space? I wonder how much better those 8 cores would be at, oh, 7ghz? or 10ghz? Because that's where we should be by now. Hell, BY NOW, using Moore's Law, we should be at 50ghz. We're being held back! Conservatives? Liberals? Illuminati? Vulcans? I dunno, but cores are not our future! This industry was built on pushing the speed limit, MHZ then GHZ and now we've been hovering around 4ghz for more than a decade! This industry is stagnant and it's a fucking disgrace!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes
31. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 11, 2018, 18:23 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 12:40:
Beamer wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 11:50:
Funny how some blame evil AAA publishers for this, others blame whiny "SJW" indie devs for this.

Everyone has a boogeyman. My guess is this is just about privacy and what's going on with other social networks, which Steam is as well as a store. EU regulations mandated this.

Funny that Valve was able to whip this up in the two weeks since the Collateral Analytics story broke, but 14 years later, no Half Life 3.

Something something Black Lives Matter something SJW something AntiFa something something Laura Ingraham.

Sean Hannity.

Gun control.

There, I just saved you guys about a page worth of bullshit. You can thank me later.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Myst 25th Anniversary Collection Kickstarter
15. Re: Myst 25th Anniversary Collection Kickstarter Apr 11, 2018, 10:10 Rigs

Task wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 20:08:
Nutritional value perhaps, but you can't sell a couple floaters only of value to waste disposal ;). I don't have a brick oven where I live, equivalents, but I'll check it out the next time I'm in Austin.

Shit's supposed to float?! Wow, all this time...mine sinks right to the bottom with a *CLANG!*...then again I shit gold bricks, so that could be why. Everyone thinks that shitting gold brinks would be awesome but, you know, the bloody cleanup is the worst! Not to mention I can't sit for a few hours afterward...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2018, 23:41 Rigs

Hmm, I don't get it. STEAM has the Witcher3 GOTY on sale for $20, which is really good for those that don't have it yet but then I see that they have the original version (without the expansions) for $20 also, which is also on sale. WTF? Why would anyone grab that when they can get the whole thing for the same price? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Bus Simulator 18 in June
6. Re: Bus Simulator 18 in June Apr 9, 2018, 15:09 Rigs

El Pit wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 15:00:
Get off my bus, you punks!

Make it a school bus game where after the first week at work, the driver turns into an alcoholic who has daydreams of nuking the school from orbit.

Hmmm, I suspect there's some true trauma stories in there somewhere...care to share? Wacko

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > DCS World 2.5 Released
23. Re: DCS World 2.5 Released Apr 9, 2018, 15:06 Rigs

Bard wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 10:08:
Rilcon wrote on Apr 8, 2018, 22:30:
Assuming my only interest is in WW2 and I'm looking for something that can feel realistic without needing to go through a 25-step checklist just to start the engine, should I go with this or the latest IL-2 (or something else entirely)?

I've been out of the "sim" game for over a decade; didn't have space for a flightstick on my desk anymore...

Yes, grab the latest IL2.

Or...grab Wings of Prey. It's pretty good for WW2 air combat and is the same engine as the online-only WarThunder, which is also pretty good, if a bit more arcadey. Whenever I want to load up a newer WW2 flight combat sim, WoP is what I go to. For more modern combat alternatives, there's always the Strike Fighter 2-series. (Along with War over Europe and War over Vietnam) Just don't buy the STEAM versions, they're broken as shit. Get it right from the publisher. (I'm on my tablet, so I can't give you links ATM, sorry)

The latest IL-2 releases are ok, just a bit overly difficult. Sometimes I think it's too much. You have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to playability and fun but I guess that's subjective. One man's technical manual is another mans novel. Or something like that.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > DCS World 2.5 Released
11. Re: DCS World 2.5 Released Apr 8, 2018, 21:34 Rigs

It absolutely boggles my mind that in 2018, the flight combat sim genre has dried up to nearly nothing. This (along with wargaming and RPG's) were the cornerstone of PC gaming back when it started!

When I started playing on 'modern' systems, you couldn't take two steps without tripping over a flight combat sim or flight sim in general! If only I could take the devs from Microprose and Spectrum Holobyte (AND Looking Glass!) and bring them here from 1994...maybe then this genre would be the leader that it was two decades ago and rightfully should be. Where are the graphical powerhouse versions of F-15 Strike Eagle, F-14 Fleet Defender, Falco-..oh, well, forget I mentioned that one, F-117 Stealth Fighter, LHX, Apache Longbow, Hind, Thunderhawk, Silent Thunder, A-10 Tank Killer, Aces of the Pacific, Aces Over Europe, European Air War, 1942: Pacific Air War, Pacific Strike, B-17, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Battlehawks 1942, Their Finest Hour...the list just goes on and on. If, in 1993, when I was clutching my box of Aces of the Pacific so hard it left marks, that in the year 2018, the only real flight combat sim would be DCS, I would have been seriously upset. Now, it only makes me that much more depressed. Yeah, DCS is gorgeous, but it's the only game in town. And with 1080ti video cards and octo-core 4ghz CPUs, that's just pathetic.

=-Rigs-=

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 6, 2018, 14:28 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 6, 2018, 12:13:
Yeah, the weather forecast here is a mix of snow and rain tonight, high of 40 today. They are predicting .5" - 1" of snow overnight. *sigh* Still... better than hurricanes! Hi, Rigs!

Ha! Little known fact, we get earthquakes, too!

It's 82 right now, about an hour away it looks like this. My A/C just kicked on about a half an hour ago so I closed up the windows but I'll have them back open after the sun goes back down. Last few days we've been dealing with sea-breeze induced storms, one really nasty sucker on Wednesday. Too early in the year for this crap! Nod

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2018, 14:43.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 17:14 Rigs

Flatline wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 13:32:
I'm actually fine with a Last Starfighter reboot. I love the original but it's actually a movie I wouldn't mind seeing a different take on.

If it had the same commitment to art quality that Rogue One had I'd squee pretty hard. Plus, as much as I love the movie, the story was pretty simplistic and could use development.

I mean, it's just Excalibur in space. Centauri even says "I didn't use the Excalibur test this time, I used something called a video game" or something along those lines. Excalibur is the Starfighter's symbol. There's plenty of room for a reinterpretation.

I wouldn't mind a sequel with Lance Guest as Alex as the admiral/commander of the Starfighter fleet. Kind of roll with the establishment of the "round table" if we're talking in Arthurian analogs still.

I do love Rogue One and think Gareth Edwards did an awesome job. He really retained that Star Wars feel. If he can do the same (assuming he directed it) or Gary Whitta can keep the same feel and energy of the first, than I'm fine with having a sequel/soft-reboot. The reason I'm hesitant is that it very rarely ends up being that way and usually these things crash and burn, even with the best of intentions. The only one besides Rogue One I can think of that did it right was TRON: Legacy, though I will also admit to really liking the last Star Trek movie, Beyond. It felt like an episode of the original series, for sure. It wasn't too serious in spite of itself, like Into Darkness, which I didn't care for at all, except for the soundtrack. If they can do it right, more power to them. If they get it wrong, I'mma be pissed!

=-Rigs-=

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 17:07 Rigs

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 14:37:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 14:03:
Center Of The Milky Way Has Thousands Of Black Holes, Study Shows.

That place must be crazy with all those overlapping gravitational fields. I'd hate to have to live there.

Not to mention the radiation and time dilation issues.

It would probably be like a real life version of the TNG episode where those aliens inhabit the Romulan singularity drive core and end up shattering the space-time around them, causing space time to run at different rates in bubbles scattered around the two ships? Or being stuck in a time-loop like that other episode with Frasier? Geezus, our universe is going to end up being a real life GalaxyQuest only with Star Trek.

=-Rigs-=

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 12:22 Rigs

"Rogue One" Scribe Resurrects "Last Starfighter."

No! Leave it alone! Can't these guys just leave some things be? It's fine the way it is. We don't need a freakin' reboot/remake/prequel. I don't care how good the concept art looks!

Having said that, the concept art, for some crazy reason, really gives me a No Mans Sky vibe. Weird.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > 1C Company Announces Three Games
1. Re: 1C Company Announces Three Games Apr 5, 2018, 11:39 Rigs

Eternity: The Last Unicorn

Hmmm...

When the last eagle flies over the last crumbling mountain
And the last lion roars at the last dusty fountain
In the shadow of the forest though she may be old and worn
They will stare unbelieving at the last unicorn

Well, I can dream, I guess...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Movie and Sales Records
7. Re: Far Cry 5 Movie and Sales Records Apr 5, 2018, 06:12 Rigs

So, was this what they were filming two years ago? Remember right before the announcement of FC5, there were rumors of filming near a church and some thought it might be RDR2? I think this is what they were filming. Interesting...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Movie and Sales Records
6. Re: Far Cry 5 Movie and Sales Records Apr 5, 2018, 05:07 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 00:47:
SlimRam wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 23:03:
I kinda liked the mini movie. The actor who plays the lead cult guy is convincingly creepy and dedicated to his apparent cause. Faith is literally my IDEAL woman: Hot, crazy and high

Never stick your dick in crazy. Trust me on that.
Mad

*Opens mouth to say something in response*

...eh, no, he's pretty much right...

=-Rigs-=

3038 Comments. 152 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo