Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2759 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 28, 2016, 16:05 Rigs

Simon Says wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 15:21:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 15:16:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 13:33:
Favorite post from Incontentia Buttocks

"Hmmm...disabled HT, and 2 cores AND raise VCC to 2.0v.

"If we put a twin turbo on that 1.6l and throw a little NO2 into the mix she'll do 10 seconds in the quarter" Sadly the engine explodes after 5 seconds...."

Joke is, without HT and 2 cores, it's slower than before the OC

Not entirely true, its slower than the stock part in multi threaded scenarios, but much faster in single threaded ones.

If you have to explain the joke (or discuss it's legitimacy), it's not worth it...

I never understood the reasoning behind overclocking to such a degree that the chip is basically trash afterward and you need liquid nitrogen to get it anywhere. 'Course, I never understood the reason behind souping up a car or truck so it 'looks' fast. I always went with the underdog look. My '91 GMC S-15 (or rather my fathers, I was only 16, he did the work, I'm a mechanical idiot) looked like a regular GMC truck (well, with the exception of the front end, my father got a hold of some fiberglass and that was the end of the stock grill ) but with a new chip, dual exhaust and the shifter on the floor (and a nice sunroof), anyone that challenged me thinking I was stock easy prey was quickly proven wrong. I had COPS pull me over just to ask about what was in it! Those were the days...

Ahem! Anyway, as I was saying, if you can get the damn cpu to 7ghz and KEEP IT THERE on liquid or air cooling and be able to play games daily, then I'm impressed. This liquid nitro competition crap does absolutely nothing for me...

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
---------------------------------------
'The only way to win is not to play', huh?
Here, hold my beer...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: More sales Dec 27, 2016, 22:15 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 15:42:
The Half Elf wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 08:04:
PUT DOWN THE EGGNOG SIR AND STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD!

The Half Elf would know!

Giggle

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Into the Black Dec 27, 2016, 22:12 Rigs

nin wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 21:12:
The Half Elf wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 20:58:
We have 5 days to go folks, stay at home, call loved ones, stock up on medical supplies/etc, cause lord only knows what can happen in 5 days.

Sir Paul is being placed in lockdown...

Speculation is that The Queen might not make it to 2017, she wasn't at the Christmas celebration (which she's never missed). Buckingham is saying she has a bad cold/flu, which , they didn't say, can be fatal to the elderly...smh...

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Dec 27, 2016, 20:33 Rigs

Author Richard Adams, whose book "Watership Down" became a classic of children's literature, has died.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Resident Evil 7 - Biohazard 7 Teaser- Beginning Hour Patch
1. Re: Resident Evil 7 - Biohazard 7 Teaser- Beginning Hour Patch Dec 27, 2016, 20:24 Rigs

Holy crap, what is it with games not supporting SSE 4.1-less cpu's?! NMS and GTA5 both had this problem, as did DIRT Rally. They were all patched quickly and I'm not one that has this problem (Core i5/750) but still, wtf devs?

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

15. Re: More sales Dec 27, 2016, 01:26 Rigs

Quboid wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 00:36:
Rigs wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 22:50:
Hmmm, someone needs to explain this one to me...

I have The Crew, which I got through uPlay (don't judge me! ). I paid for it before it went F2P...or so I thought it went F2P. Fast Forward to yesterday and I get an e-mail from STEAM that one the games on my wishlist was on sale - The Crew! (I guess I forgot to take it off my wishlist after I bought it, since it wasn't through STEAM) They're charging $14.99 (normally $29.99) for a F2P game? WTF? Am I missing something here?!

=-Rigs-=

Looks like it was free for a month. It costs on Steam and Uplay now, but there's a 2 hour trial on Uplay.

Ah, well that makes some sense then. I wonder why I thought it was F2P? Whatever

Thanks, Quboid!

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

13. Re: More sales Dec 27, 2016, 00:34 Rigs

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 00:10:
Check Uplay (it was free on Uplay) but not on Steam. But also Uplay and Steam don't cross each other (sadly). If I remember correctly, you buy a Ubisoft game on Steam you automatically get it on both, but there is some sort of association between Uplay and Steam account wise.

Yeah, but that doesn't really make sense to be charging it on STEAM and having it F2P on uPlay. Why would UbiSoft allow th...oh, wait - Ubisoft. Nevermind.

Also, I just found out that Rob Ford, the crack-smoking mayor of Toronto is dead! Why was I not informed of this?! And contrary to what you may think when you hear that title, he died of cancer (of everything, apparently).

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

11. Re: More sales Dec 26, 2016, 22:50 Rigs

Hmmm, someone needs to explain this one to me...

I have The Crew, which I got through uPlay (don't judge me! ). I paid for it before it went F2P...or so I thought it went F2P. Fast Forward to yesterday and I get an e-mail from STEAM that one the games on my wishlist was on sale - The Crew! (I guess I forgot to take it off my wishlist after I bought it, since it wasn't through STEAM) They're charging $14.99 (normally $29.99) for a F2P game? WTF? Am I missing something here?!

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2016, 16:42 Rigs

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 14:17:
Sad to see George Michael go The guy was truly an amazing singer and artist.

Man, Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool) is gonna be upset! Joking aside, his music in WHAM! was part of some of my first memories as a small child. My sister, who was 14 years older, was a major 80's party girl and I got to know all the cool new 80's songs really quick. I mean, you can't think 80's without having him in it, his work on WHAM! and some of his early solo music. Sad to see him go. I guess now she can go to his eternal dance party, if you believe that kind of thing.

Michael, who was born Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou in north London...

Uh, I guess I can see why he would want to change his name.

As for people dying in 2016...if it's this bad this year, I really hope it's not the start of a trend. I thought about it a few weeks ago that maybe this is the Rapture? No one ever said it would be instantaneous. Maybe it takes a while...who the fuck knows... Whatever

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 26, 2016, 16:51.

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2016, 03:37 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 02:56:
bigspender wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 02:29:
El Pit wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 02:04:

The Alien: Covenant trailer is out, people! After the imo lame Prometheus, they made the trailer look like A: C will be an action movie. Like the first Alien movie but with the speed of Aliens. Not sure what to think about it, actually.

https://youtu.be/H0VW6sg50Pk

Thank's for the heads up! Was excited for this.....was..... not a fan of the camera work and visuals - feels very cheap and generic. I have a feeling if it wasn't for the brand this would go completely ignored.

From black goo, to black dust. IT'S BREAKING NEW GROUND!

Yeah, this doesn't look good. I'll wait for reviews before getting excited. I'm still bitter about Prometheus.

Nope. Don't have a good feeling with this one. I actually thought Prometheus was pretty good - for what it was. I know people had high hopes for it but think about it, has there been, in the last 20 years, a sequel to a triple-A movie or franchise that blew your mind and was head and shoulders above the original? I really don't think there's ever been a sequel that truly - truly lived up to it's hype, like ever. In fact, I don't think it's possible. There have been sequels that are good or that some people really liked. But to get a consensus about it, that everyone liked? None that I can think of. That includes Star Wars Episode 7. But then, it's too early, for me, to consider Ep. 7 to be a straight/direct continuation of the series. Just as I couldn't see the prequels being a part of it. Now that it's aged and grown on me, I can start to acknowledge the prequels' heritage. I know to some that's blasphemy but that's the way it feels to me.

As for this new Aliens movie, toward the end of the trailer, especially the 'shower' scene, I got the feeling they were going for the ol' 80's horror movie vibe. But that just doesn't work in 2016/2017. Just as the 'turn-your-brain-off' action flicks of the 80's don't work nowadays, movies like Commando, Rambo 2 and 3, Predator, Terminator, Delta Force...where it was one guy against an army. Old 80's horror movies where someone or something kills scores of stupid people just doesn't work now. But, it's just a trailer, maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT: Heh, I just remembered that 20 years ago on this day, at 4am, I spent early Christmas morning at a strip club. Had totally forgotten about that until just now. I went there with a friend because we'd been up all night and were bored...lol. I guess there's not many people that can say they spent their Christmas morning at a strip club...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 2016, 03:51.

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2016, 00:39 Rigs

I actually had a reason for coming in here, Half Elf had me all flustered and 'wantin' to cut a bitch' (heard that one on tv this afternoon, like wtf? Feel like grandpa reading '50 Shades of Grey' out loud, HA! )

I pulled the trigger on DOOM this evening. It came down to a toss up between DOOM, GTA5, and Elite: Dangerous Season Pass. I still really want to get GTA5 at $30 but I probably won't have the extra spending money available in time before the sale runs out. I'm still gunning for E:D's Season Pass, I just need to get a nice HOTAS first...or at least some kind of stick. I was talking about trading games earlier on here, I have hardware I'd trade for a nice stick or HOTAS, a Sound Blaster X-FI, an older AMD HD5770/1gb, a Logi Wingman Formula Force wheel and pedals...I need to put this shit on eBay! That's probably what I'll do and I'll let you guys know when I do it, if any of you happen to be interested.

Now, to make room for DOOM on the ol' hard drive. Hmmm, I have two 2tb Western Digitals, both have less than 30gb free on them...lol! Then after making room, I get to wait a week for it to finish downloading! Yay for satellite internet!

Merry Christmas, ya'll!

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2016, 00:28 Rigs

Damn, Half Elf! Post that on Youtube with monetization (ha, Google doesn't know how to spell that!) and a good title and you'll be able to make some nice coin for all your effort...Trust me, the kids these days eat drama like it's a fine steak!

There must be a thing with heart attacks and strokes this year for Christmas. I just got a call a little bit ago that my uncle (mother's brother) is in ICU after several possible 'small heart attacks' (whatever that means). They ran tests but didn't find anything seriously wrong other than he was having trouble breathing and tightness. They're gonna hold him until Monday, at least. Gonna seriously suck spending Christmas in the hospital. He's 76 and has had stints put in years ago, so this isn't shocking news. Nothing really shocks me anymore anyway.

2017 better fucking rock for all the absolute shit we've all been through this year! Seriously, fuck 2016!

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin
63. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin Dec 24, 2016, 16:14 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Dec 24, 2016, 04:42:
Yeesh, guys. It's Christmas! Xmastree

Can't we just hold hands and sing Kumbaya? Handshake

I had no problem with Redmask until he told me to basically STFU because my posts exceed his fish-like attention span. In fact, except for Cutter, I have no problem with anyone here. I just give what I get. Simple as that. And it is the season for giving, ja?

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > GOG.com Goodbuy 2016 Sale
15. Re: GOG.com Goodbuy 2016 Sale Dec 24, 2016, 16:07 Rigs

Caladell wrote on Dec 24, 2016, 09:36:
Rigs wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 22:28:
Retired wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 15:24:
Rigs wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 14:23:
Ok, someone explain the logic behind this? The Witcher 3 GOTY edition is $30 while the DLC-less original release is still...$40? WTF?! That makes absolutely NO sense to me whatsoever.

I like deals and sales, who doesn't? But when you can't understand the logic behind some of the choices at times, it kinda makes the ol' credit card slink back in the wallet...

=-Rigs-=

This is what I have been saying - their pricing is all jacked up most of the time.

It's a shame there isn't a Metacritic type site that takes all the deals from all these sites and puts it into one big list. I know there are some sites that kinda do that but one just specifically geared toward games. There are so many of these 'key' selling sites, I never knew! I was aware of and have used G2A before but I didn't know about Kinguin until today, nor was I aware of Bundlestars. I, of course, knew about Humble.

But we, here, at Blues, are a niche bunch. Those that are more casual, that think GameStop is hardcore (compared to Best Buy or Wal-Mart), probably don't know about these other sites. STEAM and GoG are the best known, I would imagine. And, as has been found, their pricing can be...confusing at times.

All I want is a list of games on one side and then a column for each site going across with their price for said game. And maybe highlight the lowest one (and put a purty green check mark next to it, too! ). Somebody here whip that up for us? I know we got some master programmers with L33T skilLz, yo! Script Kiddies welcome, too! Just don't ransomware my system while you're at it, eh?

=-Rigs-=

isthereanydeal.com

Yeah, I know of isthereanydeal.com and my post was somewhat sarcastic but in truth, that site is kinda complicated. I guess I need to spend more time on it. Maybe I'll get it to where I want it. I probably should have mentioned it before going on a diatribe...

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

10. Re: GOG.com Goodbuy 2016 Sale Dec 23, 2016, 22:49 Rigs

I just hopped onto Pricewatch to see if there was anything good and I found that NewEgg is apparently having a sale of their own, with several titles going pretty cheap like Supreme Commander 2 for $3.25...

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

9. Re: GOG.com Goodbuy 2016 Sale Dec 23, 2016, 22:28 Rigs

Retired wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 15:24:
Rigs wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 14:23:
Ok, someone explain the logic behind this? The Witcher 3 GOTY edition is $30 while the DLC-less original release is still...$40? WTF?! That makes absolutely NO sense to me whatsoever.

I like deals and sales, who doesn't? But when you can't understand the logic behind some of the choices at times, it kinda makes the ol' credit card slink back in the wallet...

=-Rigs-=

This is what I have been saying - their pricing is all jacked up most of the time.

It's a shame there isn't a Metacritic type site that takes all the deals from all these sites and puts it into one big list. I know there are some sites that kinda do that but one just specifically geared toward games. There are so many of these 'key' selling sites, I never knew! I was aware of and have used G2A before but I didn't know about Kinguin until today, nor was I aware of Bundlestars. I, of course, knew about Humble.

But we, here, at Blues, are a niche bunch. Those that are more casual, that think GameStop is hardcore (compared to Best Buy or Wal-Mart), probably don't know about these other sites. STEAM and GoG are the best known, I would imagine. And, as has been found, their pricing can be...confusing at times.

All I want is a list of games on one side and then a column for each site going across with their price for said game. And maybe highlight the lowest one (and put a purty green check mark next to it, too! ). Somebody here whip that up for us? I know we got some master programmers with L33T skilLz, yo! Script Kiddies welcome, too! Just don't ransomware my system while you're at it, eh?

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

32. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2016, 20:25 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 19:38:
Rigs wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 18:24:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 05:31:
Rigs wrote on Dec 22, 2016, 19:20:
So having Derek Smart here is absolutely no surprise whatsoever. Though I see him as an East Coast, FT Lauderdale-type.

He lives in Fort Lauderdale. His business is located just south of that in Aventura. I know more than that. Did the research when I was looking into his past.

Am I good or what? I've been down here way too long. Suppose that's no one's fault but my own but I will say that once you're here, it's really hard to leave and when you do, as I did in 2000, it somehow manages to pull you right back. A lot of my friends had a hard time leaving and staying gone, returning multiple times. Aside from that one time, I just stayed until I know I'll never come back.

I assume the cost of living is attractive in Florida compared to elsewhere. In California it's brutal with all the taxes. I think for every $1 I make about 35 cents of it is taken for taxes (e.g. food tax, eating out tax, gas tax, movie ticket tax, state tax, federal tax, cell phone tax, and on and on and on.)

I have to admit that it's pretty easy to live in FL on a lower budget, yes. Some counties have gas taxes but it's typically no more than 10 cents per gallon. Sales tax is between 6% and 7.5%, which is pretty accommodating. Where I was born and raised, NW NJ (Sussex County, the northernmost county in NJ), it's almost impossible to live in without a $100k/year salary. It's turned into a rich suburb of NYC (which is only ~50 miles/45 mins away) since I moved to FL. While I grew up there, it was much more bearable. My parents were by no means rich. In fact, my father had been on permanent disability due to a work accident since he was 25, twelve years before I was born. My mom was the 'breadwinner', as it were, for the most part and worked 9-5 as a secretary (or 'office executive assistant' as it's called now) for the owner of a moderately popular clothing store in the Tri-State area in the 80's (think discount JC Penny's). When my father won a settlement from a car accident (I would have to say my father was one of the most unlucky men alive at times - one work accident that nearly paralyzed him, three car accidents over 20 years (two entirely seperate ones involving tractor trailers not paying attention), two strokes, one heart attack, prostate cancer (that he beat) and pancreatic cancer (that he didn't), yet he was a custom car fanatic who built his own fiberglass front-ends to his '92 GMC S-15 and a carpenter by trade that built several decks and patios to various family members homes when I was young), we moved to Florida in September of 1993, into a very roomy 'ranch-style' home in a 'Deed-Restricted' community for a whole $90k. I was 15 and hated every bit of it...lol. I'd just had one of best years of my life the previous year and I really missed my friends and home in NJ.

Things were seriously cheaper here, though. Still are, especially compared to Cali! When I moved back to NJ in 2000, I never made more than $14/hour as an admin assistant and I stayed in a finished basement of my sisters place, paying $600/month in rent. One 'bedroom' and a very small bathroom (think RV). I never had more than $40 on me for the week for food and gas after everything was paid. Down here? I could get a really nice 2 bedroom house in a nice neighborhood for $600/month. I don't think I could see myself moving to California unless it was for a job that paid at least $100k/year. I know I'd need close to that to live in NJ, too, which is why I still reside here in FL for the time being.

Sorry, went rambling again.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

30. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2016, 18:24 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 05:31:
Rigs wrote on Dec 22, 2016, 19:20:
So having Derek Smart here is absolutely no surprise whatsoever. Though I see him as an East Coast, FT Lauderdale-type.

He lives in Fort Lauderdale. His business is located just south of that in Aventura. I know more than that. Did the research when I was looking into his past.

Am I good or what? I've been down here way too long. Suppose that's no one's fault but my own but I will say that once you're here, it's really hard to leave and when you do, as I did in 2000, it somehow manages to pull you right back. A lot of my friends had a hard time leaving and staying gone, returning multiple times. Aside from that one time, I just stayed until I know I'll never come back.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

60. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin Dec 23, 2016, 15:53 Rigs

Redmask wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 15:47:
At least you didn't write a novel about your hurt feelings this time. Progress was made. Keep dancing.

Actually, I edited it. Just for you. But this is the last time I'm responding to you, snowflake. So, I'll keep it short so you don't hurt yourself.

'At least I didn't write a novel about my hurt feelings'

You really are a piece of shit. Happy holidays! Blank

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2016, 16:01.

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

58. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin Dec 23, 2016, 15:34 Rigs

Redmask wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 14:29:
Ok sounds good, no one cares schizo.

Schizo? Inquisitive I don't think that means what you think it means, bud. I care and that's all that matters. I realize it's the 'in' thing now to have multiple attention deficit disorders, almost like a joke on how crazy and dynamic our lives are now with all this technology but I think it's just fucking sad. I spent years in Journalism class (and a good chunk of money) only to come out hearing that 'print was dead' and people yelling in my face 'Ain't nobody got time for that!'.

Well guess what? I don't care that you need fucking drugs to keep yourself from turning into a baby with a set of keys! You don't like that I ramble on about a time that was probably before you were an itch in your daddy's pants? Too bad! Ignore me then, that's what the button is for. This very site was built on that era, one of the greatest in all of gaming. You need to take your candy-ass over to Gamespot or IGN. They'll cater to your attention-less needs...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2016, 15:47.

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

2759 Comments. 138 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo