Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2840 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 14, 2017, 22:23 Rigs

Dev wrote on Feb 14, 2017, 21:55:
UPDATE 2.00pm: Seizing upon Disney's dismissal of Pewdiepie earlier today, YouTube has now taken its own steps to distance itself from its biggest star.

Pewdiepie's channel has been kicked out of Google Preferred, YouTube's major advertising program for selling popular “brand-safe content”, Variety reports. This follows a number of videos being delisted from the service for breaching its advertising rules.

The star's YouTube Red series Scare PewDiePie has also been cancelled. The show was renewed for a second season last June, although it's unclear whether any further work on the show had taken place.

They'll come crawling back...or not. Maybe it is the end of PewDiePie (oh, please God, don't toy with me!), in which case, I can't think of a better person to see fall down the laundry shoot...screaming the whole way...with a nice, thundering THUD at the end.

Now let's go update that Wikipedia page!

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Arena Sales Ending
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 14, 2017, 21:30 Rigs

Tom wrote on Feb 14, 2017, 18:17:
CQC was a pathetic super low effort attempt at extracting more profit from this turd. What they're not telling you about their metrics is that most people who tried to play CQC gave up after leaving matchmaking going for 5, 10, 30 minutes and still not getting into a game.

Has there ever been a worse company when it comes to multiplayer support?

As much as I'm pained to say it, 343 Industries with the Master Chief Collection was one of the worst implementations of multiplayer matchmaking in online history, as far as I'm concerned. Especially from people that should have known better.

I consider E:D to be an MMO more than anything else. And, again, as much as I'm pained to agree with Cutter (ugh), if E:D had a substantial offline mode (it sorta does now but I know what he means) and mod support, it would have been leagues better. Mod support alone would have shot it out of the park. Considering the older releases of Elite had this, Frontier had to have known there was a huge mod community just waiting for a new Elite to come out. To wait for 'Elite 4' all these years (decades even), several false starts and all that time with no word then have it appear practically out of nowhere with the promise of an offline mode (and thus possible mod support), only to be kicked in the face at the last minute by Braben himself and then wonder why gamers don't have faith in triple-A developers anymore? It's right in front of you, mate, just look at history. Sigh

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: Paint Shop Pro Feb 14, 2017, 16:03 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Feb 14, 2017, 03:30:
jimnms wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 20:52:
That used to be a good photo editing software. I think I bought version 4 and upgraded through to version 9. Then Corel bough it and turned it to shit.

Yeah, used to use it 6-7 years ago. Good stuff it was.

I've been using PSPx6 (Corel's version...I also have JASC's PSP8 around on the hard drive as backup that I haven't used...well, since I got PSPx6, really) since it's release years ago and haven't looked back (or forward). It does everything I need it to. They're up to x9 now but I haven't seen any features or improvements that I really need that would require me to upgrade.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Sniper Elite 4 Released
7. Re: Sniper Elite 4 Released Feb 14, 2017, 13:02 Rigs

Damn, I better put Watch Dogs away for a while and get to finishing the last Sniper Elite (3)! Besides, I need to let these bald patches on my head grow back some hair before I venture further into WD!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > GeForce Drivers; Halo Wars 2 Specs
6. Re: GeForce Drivers; Halo Wars 2 Specs Feb 14, 2017, 12:58 Rigs

Verno wrote on Feb 14, 2017, 12:33:
It's also possible you sent in something he already knew about.

I'm not sure why it matters anyway.

Because some of us are fame whores and like to see out names up there in lights. C'mon, Verno, get with the program!

For the record, I've sent many things in via email and then seen it up there without my name attached and figured it was just sent to him by more than me and left it at that. You have to find the real niche, out of the way stuff. Something no one else has found and is, yet, still applicable to the site and something we'd (or El Presidente) would find interesting...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2017, 12:24 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Feb 14, 2017, 11:30:
The only amazing thing is why there's no serious competition for Steam.

There is and there was a lot more (Stardock's (now Gamespot's) client, GOG's Galaxy client, even Storm Eagle Studio's 'Stormpowered' client (makers of the awesome naval combat game Jutland) but gamers bitched and complained about having to install 'another fucking client on my machine just to play games?! Origin? uPlay? Ain't nobody got time for that!' and well, now we're here.

Valve doesn't want to bother, that much is obvious. But there are people out there that obviously would do the job for them for very little, if anything. Whole groups would do it for just a name drop alone...if Valve would consider doing so. That's why a lot of Steam Curator's popped up (I'm not talking about the 'Bro Army' or whatever the hell they're called, I'm talking about legit groups that do what they say they're doing). Valve could easily have this done, in their name, or even through an outside source for very little on their part. Everyone wonders why they won't do it themselves when they've obviously said so many times. But what I wonder is why they won't get others to do it, officially, instead? It wouldn't cost them much and would avoid a lot of headaches...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Intel confirms 8th-generation CPUs will stick to 14nm node Feb 13, 2017, 15:21 Rigs

El Pit wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 14:04:
Cram wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 13:42:
Intel confirms 8th-generation CPUs will stick to 14nm node

that's a bit disappointing...

intel seems to be convinced that RyZen is no dangerous competition - so they stick to 14nm - for now! They are already planning a plant to produce 7nm cpus, though.

EDIT: They will produce 7nm cpus in Fab42 in Arizona. Mass production could start in 2020 or 2021.

So what happens when they run out of nanometers?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000 Inquisitor Early Access
5. Re: On Sale Feb 13, 2017, 11:26 Rigs

MacLeod wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 11:14:
For $1000, you physically get:

Collector’s Ornate Box
Unique T-Shirt with Your Name
Inqusitor’s Chalice
Map of the Caligari Sector (Cloth)
Caligari Credit Coins (Metal)
Inqusitor’s Pendrive (16 GB)
Signed Hardcover Book
Exclusive Half-Day Studio Tour * (travel fees not included)

There is literally nothing in that pack worth more than a couple hundred even if you were into the game collector's piece thing. For the $1000, I'd say they'd have to include travel and lodgings for it to be worth that amount.

I agree, for that price, travel should certainly be included. I mean, it doesn't have to be the Ritz Carlton or even Embassy Suits, a Motel6 is fine with airplane tickets and a rental car, along with maybe a lunch voucher for a swank local burger joint. Hell, bring the burger joint into the whole thing and have them advertise it! $1000 and you get lunch with the devs, anything on the menu at the eatery and a studio tour! That sounds like a much better value. Personally, I think those that pay that much for EA or pre-order should have their names made public. Why? Because that's the first thing people want to know when they read this kind of thing! I mean, everything else in this world is public knowledge nowadays, why not this?! And maybe it would stop people from paying for such stupid shit sometimes! Yes, it's mostly digital access (with the included physical goodies) vs. spending $1000 on Warhammer figures but in the end, you're all just playing with yourselves! (for $1000)

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: On Sale Feb 13, 2017, 00:44 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 20:58:
Al Jarreau, he was 76.

Noooo! God fucking dammit, man! That's not even fair, I was just listening to him like two hours ago! *bawls*

The day my fav-of-all-time, Pat Metheny, goes, I'm done. I don't think I can live in a world devoid of all the great Contemporary Jazz masters...

As I recompose myself here, I really wish I could at least experience some of that glorious cold air you guys are getting. Seriously, our A/C has been on continuously since Thursday. When the sun goes down, the temp does drop but it's been even a bit muggy lately so opening the windows means having a tough time sleeping. (I hate trying to sleep when it's muggy/sticky out...besides outright sweating your balls off, I can't think of a more annoying way of trying to sleep)

Anyway, I jumped in here to talk about my play-through of Watch Dogs (the original). It's been sitting on my hard drive for a while, obviously, (since a little after release) and I putzed around before but in an effort to find something different to play, I dove, head first, into the Watch Dog kiddie pool. (Probably would have been wise to drink the kool-aide beforehand while I was at it) To be honest, I don't understand all the hate the story gets, and Adrien Pearce in particular. It's not the best story I've ever heard but it's certainly not the worst thing I've ever played through. It's got some funnier moments. Especially his 'Straight From Sleeping Dogs rehearsals' Hong Kong friend/sidekick/comic relief?, Jordi Chin. Now think about that name for a second. That name clearly comes from a foreign writer that can't think of a good Chinese name that people will relate to. I can only wonder what the staff meeting was like when they chose that name.

But that's not why I'm writing. No, see, I really don't have many qualms with WD. Certainly not as many as reviewers did. The driving is functional, if a bit floaty. I can get used to it. The stealthy parts are a blast, sometimes literally! I love setting off explosions at just the right time when bad guys are walking past. Trying to create distractions and getting more than 2 or 3 in one shot is a nice challenge. My highest killed-at-one-time is 5. And because of that I have to say that the AI isn't exactly genius. Of course, I have it on 'Normal' because I mainly want to get the story bits, much like my playthru of The Witcher 3. I keep it on Easy so I can get the story most of all.

I think the main thing I have a problem with, and this is while I'm only at the middle of 'Act 2', is that some missions are just downright pull-your-fucking-hair-out frustrating and the difficulty curve is batshit bonkers! Some missions are pretty simple even though at first I thought they were going to be hell. *SPOILERS* The mission where you have to drive that one guy to see 'Lucky' at the end, with all the city in lockdown, I thought would take some time and a couple run throughs. Nope. I hid for a little bit, went down some side streets and BAM! Done. Then, I get to the *AGAIN, SPOILERS* 'kids on a train' take out all the guys trying to get at him' mission, and like the earlier one where you take out the guy in the convoy going to the jail/court?, it's fuckin' murder all of a sudden! Cars and guys with guns coming from all different directions. I couldn't get an armored van like in the earlier mission because I didn't have enough time and was getting constantly pummeled until I got so pissed I just stopped, got out of the car and shot everyone. Apparently, I think I was supposed to do that because it ended the mission in like 30 seconds as opposed to the 10 minutes on the earlier try.

But then! OMG! THEN! I get to the mission where I have to do something similar and stop this guy in a truck (*spoilers* after the 'Yacht warehouse mission). You get like 10 seconds to hop out of the warehouse, grab a vehicle and already the times counting down and if you manage to get to him, he does all this crazy shit and then, out of nowhere (supposedly he calls a contract in, like AS HE'S RUNNING FROM ME and everyone's there in two seconds?! They did it in an earlier mission but I just wrote it off as a fluke...nope!) all these cars and SUV's come after me and they're a lot tougher than the cars before. If I don't have a big truck, I get pinned somewhere and lose the truck I'm after. I tried this mission like, at least, 10 times and I got SO fucking mad I almost...ALMOST...threw my keyboard. Then I realized that I needed to take a break and I literally ragequit. And then I came here....lol! Funny how that works out!

So, after all that, would I recommend Watch Dogs? Aeh...well...I...uh...see...yeah, probably. It's not bad per se. It's just maddening in parts. If the difficulty curve was a little less...8 on the Richter Scale...it'd be a better game for it. The way I saw it was this. It very much feels like a re-master of Grand Theft Auto 3. If you told me I was playing a remaster of that, I'd believe it and if you substituted all the music and sound, it'd be really close. So, in that context, it gets a much better score. I'd give it a...7 Surges out of 'I really need to cut down on drinking this shit'.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs
26. Re: On Sale Feb 11, 2017, 12:48 Rigs

Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 11:09:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 04:01:
Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 00:58:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 00:44:
Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 23:03:
Yeah but GabeN is just indifferent whereas Nodick is outright evil.

It sounds like your assessment comes from personal experience and less from how they manage their products in the market. As far as I'm concerned as long as companies I've invested in as a shareholder are making profits legally and have some corporate governance and (or) responsibility then they're fine by me. Still, I think laying off staff after having a record quarter is uncool.

it sounds like your assessment comes from wanting everyone to know you are a shareholder and (or) a big deal. still, i think the post where you already mentioned that fact was more than enough

Did I ruffle your feathers? Confused

no im just jealous over how rich and powerful and mighty you are

Hey, Kxmode, I have a couple of Nerf guns, some pool noodles, all of Idubbbz videos downloaded to a USB flash drive and the DVD boxset of the FRED movies. I say we string him up and go Breaking Bad on his ass...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Afghanistan '11 Next Month
6. Re: On Sale Feb 10, 2017, 13:53 Rigs

Task wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 08:07:
Rigs wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 02:23:
Cutter wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 23:17:
Ahh, another war of hegemony and occupation by 'Murica.

For fucks sake... Movingalong

=-Rigs-=

Is he wrong? Actually it would be some contingents of NATO countries as well. The only difference really would be that Vietnam won their independence and victory, the Afghani groups are still fighting for theirs.

No, but it doesn't mean we need to be reminded of it every time something like this comes up. It's like if someone made a Britain-In-India/Old World Empire joke every time something about India/WW1 came around. It gets old. It is old. Time for a new meme. Maybe that the U.S. is being run by the Lorax or something, I dunno. There's plenty out there. This 'Murica shit is so...2000's.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Afghanistan '11 Next Month
3. Re: On Sale Feb 10, 2017, 02:23 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 23:17:
Ahh, another war of hegemony and occupation by 'Murica.

For fucks sake... Movingalong

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Conan Exiles Banishes Servers
31. Re: On Sale Feb 10, 2017, 01:40 Rigs

Rigs wrote on Feb 6, 2017, 19:05:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 8, 2017, 15:32.

Wow, my second 'Removed' ever...I should print it out and frame it. Sorry, Blue, I kinda figured what I said would get me flagged but it was worth it.

=-Rigs-=

20. Re: On Sale Feb 9, 2017, 16:05 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 15:48:
Creston wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 12:12:
That is effing INSANE!!

It IS a tumah!

I accept your challenge and raise you...a cookie!

=-Rigs-=

8. Re: OOTB Feb 9, 2017, 11:39 Rigs

Currently, it's...72°, clear skies. I hate it. I know I'm in a very small minority but I'd love to be in that snow right now! Living in FL messes with your mind. You start thinking that this kind of weather is normal. It's not. It's 72° now, but we're also under a Frost Warning for tomorrow morning, with a low of 36°. But our highs for the next four days will be at or near 80°. In February. We're not in Denver, when one day could be 80° and the next have a half-a-foot of snow on the ground. This winter, for us, has been dry and warm and this summer, if winter is anything to go by, is going to be absolutely brutal. So if any of you like this kind of thing, then by all means, come on down! But me? The first chance I get to go north, I'm taking it and never coming back...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > E3 Opens to Public
17. Re: E3 Opens to Public Feb 9, 2017, 11:29 Rigs

NetHead wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 07:38:
[SC]TherMight wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 00:50:
This is an indication of the conference's death throes.
They tried to cut down even the industry associates because of the nuclear escalation of "Hey we have the best stripper booth babes"
They tried to close it to a smaller audience to get back to their roots
Now this?

Besides there is nothing ever fresh and new to discover or preview at this conference anymore. Gone are the days when you could sit down to play a little game called Katamari Damacy that nobody heard of until it blew up a month later worldwide.

Matches much of what I've suspected about it.

I don't think they could get back to their roots or anything like that as things have changed. The internet is far more effective at reaching the audience, without any of those costs or hassle.

The companies which can afford it, sometimes going around the world to get there, won't be making some unheard of supposedly risky game. I doubt the conference will make the kind of money it expects with anything but big publishers and maybe certain studios and in those cases you can find out more about the game online.

Making an extra $270,000+ for welcoming the public back, I'm pretty sure it's more about the number than the act and hassle it involves.

Hmmm, I remember hearing the same conversation when they had E3 in Atlanta that one year. 'It's all over!' Yeah, not quite. Man, what a clusterfuck that was! They need to try it again, though, this time with some proper oversight and use their fucking brains. I would love to go to an E3. It's been on my 'Bucket List' since '96. Of course, the one year they go to the East Coast was the one year I was drowning in...well, let's just say I was 18 and having too much fun to bother...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie Wormholes Update Next Week
7. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Wormholes Update Next Week Feb 9, 2017, 11:24 Rigs

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 04:25:
Why are you people talking about Eve?

Yes, granted, it's not EVE uh, EVE but it's still the same universe, made by the same company and most of what was said still applies to both.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands System Specs
6. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Wormholes Update Next Week Feb 9, 2017, 10:54 Rigs

Darks wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 10:48:
Rhett wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 10:07:
If the beta's any indication, 1440p is not stable at all, even with top end hardware. I was playing smoothly at 40-60 FPS at 1080p with an FX-6350 and a GTX 970, myself.

Not sure what your issues were, but I didn't run into any. I'm running on GTX 1080 FTW on a 4K 28" monitor 2840 x 2160 had an average of 38 to 42 FPS.

Had the graphics at maximum, with vsync turned off on game, but turned on in the control panel. I thought that wasn't bad considering there are no optimized drivers out yet for the game.

Other Then that I had a really great time playing the game Coop. Ran into a few small bugs but nothing ground breaking.

Drive was a bit of a challenge at the start, but we eventually got the hang of it. but yes, that definitely needs some work. Hopefully that will get fixed. No issues with gun play, in fact I thought the gun play was very similar to The Division.

I bought the Gold Edition, I really liked what I saw and played. The open world was pretty impressive looking. Cant wait to see the rest of the game.

Surprised You pre-ordered?! SHUN THE HERETIC!!! Bat

What <smack> have <smack> we <smack> said <smack> about <smack> pre-ordering?! <smack> Slap

Whew! Well, with that out of the way, let us know how it plays, eh?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie Wormholes Update Next Week
4. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Wormholes Update Next Week Feb 9, 2017, 03:47 Rigs

headshot wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 03:17:
.. and when star citizen adds an FPS module to make a more immersive universe, everbody lines up to shout them down.

I realize that statement is somewhat of a trap (and you were being sarcastic) but to be fair, EVE is a finished game, with long-since-refined mechanics of a fully-fledged game. It's not a glorified tech demo. When you play in EVE (as mundane as it might feel to some) it's still a full game. When you play Star Citizen, you're not getting into even 10% of what was supposed to be the 'full' game. So when RSI wants to go on a another fishing safari because they're bored with doing the actual game they promised five years ago...yeah, people are gonna get a little pissed.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Project CARS 2 This Year
18. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 8, 2017, 16:38 Rigs

MattyC wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 16:09:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 15:40:
MattyC
Project Cars isn't too bad with a controller but it is a ton more fun with the wheel. After some practice you can push the cars to the limits much better with the wheel than with the controller. Much smoother for steering also. It is however a pain in the ass to set it up and tear it down if you don't have a dedicated wheel stand.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds fun, wish I had room for that. I would love a wheel and pedal setup, but I already use 1/2 my 'LAN PC' second desk for my previously mentioned flight setup and it really just sees use when I play Sturmovik games and very rarely some others. I think my better half would frown on the purchase, but honestly the desk space is a big concern with my setups at this point too. Sad

I can see your dilemma. Racing online is a big commitment. I've been doing it since the advent of it, Papyrus' experimental 'Hawaii' service that was just Nascar Racing (the original) on hosted servers back 25 years ago. In those years, I've gone from a CH Yoke (which is a really good as a wheel if you didn't have the money for a Thrustmaster), Logi Wingman Formula Force, Logi Momo and now a Logi G25. I was on iRacing almost continuously until June, when I lost access to a decent broadband connection (I'm on satellite now, which is death by latency in racing sims). Now I'm regulated to a NascarRacing 2003 install, heavily modded and Nascar 15, along with Project Cars, GTR2, GRID and all the others. Basically anything with an AI. But I've also gotten into Elite Dangerous lately and it actually plays rather well on my horrid connection. I don't know what magic Braben is concocting in his lab but it's working. Now I need a HOTAS. I still have my LWFF which I've been meaning to sell but the last OS it supports is WinXP. I've never been able to find drivers for it for Win7. So no one is going to want it, otherwise I'd be willing to sell it in order to get one of those new Thrustmaster T-160000M sticks...

=-Rigs-=

2840 Comments. 142 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo