Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2805 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2017, 01:37 Rigs

Caslon wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 00:04:
Can Bluesnews kindly stop linking stories to sites that demand you pay to read the article or have to bother with whitelisting them???!!!

It's mainly just the Washington Post and I agree, it's aggravating but news is news. I just put the headline into Google and read it somewhere I don't have to pay to read words on the internet.

=-Rigs-=

''...and not getting to kill Hitler in a Wolfenstein game is like hiring an expensive prostitute to come to your hotel room and massage your kneecaps.'' -Yahtzee
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2017, 22:17 Rigs

Beamer wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 15:55:
NKD wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 15:10:
Looking at cooler and wetter than average up here in the northwest apparently.

Yeah. When I lived there it was abnormally warm and dry. Now it's cool and wet. I think I got out at the right time - though frankly I loved the NW and can't imagine living anywhere other than either NYC or the west coast.

We're finally moving into our winter pattern down here in FL. Last week it was near 90 and humid AF. We just had a front plow through and it's 75/45 for the next five days. Fine with me. Though, I'd recommend you all keep an eye on the southern Caribbean, looks like something might try to get going later this week, which is where Sandy, Joaquin and just a few weeks ago, Nate, formed. It's the best spot right now for a storm to get it's shit together as all the other areas have transitioned, more or less, out of their summer setup and wouldn't be conductive to tropical formation, especially vertical shear-wise.

On a another note, I assume Blue, you've instituted protocols for the massive influx of disenchanted NeoGaf blokes looking for friendly ports? Seems their former home became a raging dumpster fire last week...

=-Rigs-=

''...and not getting to kill Hitler in a Wolfenstein game is like hiring an expensive prostitute to come to your hotel room and massage your kneecaps.'' -Yahtzee

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 19:05 Rigs

FloorPie wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 18:59:
"Only after Trump could we actually appreciate what it's like to have a working, stable government..."

That you think we've had that working stable government at all in the past 30+ years is hilarious. Bush1, Clinton, Shrub2, and Obama. 28 years of stink.

That's not exactly what I said. I'm not claiming that it's been unicorns and rainbows before Trump, just that it wasn't an...unprofessional disaster...as it is now. Former Presidents acted like Presidents should act. No one ever complained that Clinton spent too much time at his NYC residence instead of the WH. Whether they were corrupt or used their post for their own projects (Bush Jr in Iraq) is another thing entirely. At least they acted the part.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 17:15 Rigs

The way I see it, this industry needs to crash - HARD! Why? Publishers have gotten way, WAY too lazy and entirely supported on sleazy ways of getting every last cent out of the player. They think that the base is so solid, they can do just about anything they want. Remind you of something? Yes, I've said since the beginning that this country needed Trump, but not the way you think. No, we needed to see just how bad it could get if we just don't give a shit about what our government does and let it do it's own thing without repercussions. 'I'm voting Trump just so Crooked Hillary doesn't get in!'...oh how I'd love to smack the person that made that comment popular. Only after Trump could we actually appreciate what it's like to have a working, stable government...

Anyway, the game industry has lost it's way. It doesn't fear for it's existence anymore and that's bad. Sure, the indie scene has profited but I remember when the whole industry was practically the 'indie' scene and publishers weren't much more than developers that published their friends and colleagues' games! They'll continue to push out shit and use their base until they can't - simple as that. And if it means that multi games are more profitable to the bottom line, well, that's what you get, sonny! I don't play multi, like at all, not just because my internet connection sucks but because I don't enjoy it. I like playing a game at my own pace and few multiplayer games give you this option.

Also, if you haven't seen Jim Sterling's video today, then you should, it kinda explains why I feel the way I do...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 Jeep and Dodge DLC
24. Re: Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 Jeep and Dodge DLC Oct 21, 2017, 23:43 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Oct 21, 2017, 02:10:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 14:01:
neither is replacing a blown tranny.

Phrasing!

Giggle

So many ~Zingers in here you could get nailed by a ricochet! HA!

I'd say something about my '03 Ford Focus but you could probably imagine. Currently the speedometer is pegged at 140mph+ and won't move, though the fuel and battery gauges work when they feel like it. Can't track the problem down, been to three different techs. Not paying $400 to rip the damn dash out when it's probably just a wire shorting out somewhere. As long as it doesn't turn the car into a fiberglass candle, I'm good. I will say that the day the timing chain broke, I just about pissed myself! Between the BANG! and the metal grinding noises, I thought the whole engine was coming apart. Thankfully it didn't do any permanent damage. The kid at the auto parts store wondered why I was even bothering putting a new on after that, surely it was toast. Glad I didn't listen to him, not that I would have anyway.

Still miss my father's Chevy S-10! (please excuse the blur) Fastest thing on the road in three counties (probably)....V6/Auto w/stick on the floor, dual-exhaust, lowered, chip changed, bored and channeled (Whatever that means...I'm a pc guy, not a car guy, sorry), sunroof, bucket seats, racing steering wheel and am/fm cassette with a cd adapter! (That was my contribution) Was my dad's baby, he made a custom fiberglass front end and rear pan. That truck got me a lot of ass in the 90's! If those seats could talk...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
4. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Oct 21, 2017, 23:00 Rigs

Google built a new Trojan Horse to get inside every aspect of your life.

Shit! They hired my ex-wife?!?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Halo Wars 2 Cross-Platform Support
1. Re: Halo Wars 2 Cross-Platform Support Oct 18, 2017, 21:07 Rigs

As a huge HALO fanboy (and will gladly admit it), it kills me that MS won't bring the rest of the series to the PC, like yesterday! I mean, how hard would it be, honestly? They have the infrastructure in place from MCC, just do the small bit of port work and BAM! Happy HALO fans playing it on the platform it was meant to be on! (Well, technically it was supposed to be an RTS on the Mac, so close enough)

I've actually been thinking about the early initial development of HALO quite a bit lately, for no real overall reason. It just fascinates me. I don't think Bungie had in mind, certainly, where the story of the game would go after three or four sequels. I'm curious what the original story would have been about, had it stayed an RTS? From the early articles I've read, the 'Spartans' were just regular troops like the ODST, maybe special ops, but not 'super soldiers' as they became later on. The Sangheili (Elites) were always there, as were the grunts (The Unggoy) but I don't see the Flood or the Jiralhanae (Brutes).

I think, most of all, what fascinated me was the Halo itself. Like who built it? Why? How? When? How big was it? How was it powered? Being a weather buff, I wondered about weather patterns on the ring. It had gravity and spun in space, so could it have hurricanes? Climates and biomes were obvious from pictures, were they natural or artificial? I was mesmerized. Playing it for the first time, long after it had come out on Xbox, on my (then) wife's PC, it totally captivated me. I'd never played anything like it! And she had an older AMD Duron/850 with a Geforce2MX that I'd build years before, which just barely ran it. I had just started a new job at Cingular and was in two months of training but couldn't wait to get home and play more HALO!

A few months later, I got a brand new DELL Pentium4/2.66ghz with a top-of-the-line ATI 9800 PRO! I'd insisted on that particular video card and it cost me but man, o man, was it worth every cent! It made that old GF2MX look like the difference between DOS VGA games and 3D accelerated Win98SE games! I was in absolute heaven and finished HALO CE with my jaw on the floor. Even the multiplayer was awesome and I rarely play multi!

I wish they'd go back and make a HALO game that captured that magic again. That sense of wonder and astonishment. Destiny isn't it. And the path the HALO universe has taken since isn't it, either, I'm sorry to say. Good times, man, good times...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay?
78. Re:Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 20:08 Rigs

I think, for now on, on all Star Citizen threads, Blue should post a big-ass banner ad or three small ones, or a video ad, something that brings in hella money, and if you want to participate in the clusterfucks that are Blue's Star Citizen Discussions, you gotta contribute a little before you...contribute a little (or a lot). And in these types of discussions, the rules are a little more lax, but it has to, in some way, trace back to SC. Call 'em 'Star Citizen Pit Fight threads or something and you pay-to-play, just like everything else that's screwed up in this god forsaken industry. Crazy?

=-Rigs-=

62. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 02:23 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 01:58:
Can it being trolling if the poster believes it to be true? KXMode is a great guy, but when science contradicts the Bible, he tends to go off the deep end.

Yeah, I didn't mean anything bad by it, I just thought it was a funny situation, given how other discussions have gone like this...just havin' some fun at KXMode's expense, that's all...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 2017, 02:34.

59. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 16, 2017, 23:49 Rigs

NKD wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 23:42:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 22:43:
sir wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 17:21:
They reckon that the sun will die five or so billion years from now.

You say that like you know for a fact it will happen. That's cute.

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting your post, but are you saying that there's some uncertainty about the Sun's future? Last I checked there hadn't been any new data to suggest anything other than it transitioning to a red giant and turning Earth uninhabitable in just over 5 billion years.

*smacks NKD on the back of the head*

Whatsdamattawityou?!

I am not pulling that fishing hook out of your mouth! You sit there and think about what you did while I go searching for some pliers...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 2017, 02:50.

54. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 16, 2017, 21:54 Rigs

Neeevergonnagetit, never gonna get it
Never gonna get it, gonna get it

Imagine if the top news item on Blues one day was 'Chris Roberts Goes Missing, Star Citizen Cancelled', I theorize that the comments section would burn to the ground! Even people that don't play/like space combat sims like SC and Elite:Dangerous still know what Star Citizen is. If it happened on the same day that Trump announced his resignation (or the Dems announced they were starting Impeachment Proceedings*), the Net would go down as if a North Korean EMP pulse went off! And if all of those happened at once? Well, you probably wouldn't know because the country would be in a state of anarchy due to the cancellation of Star Citizen...

=-Rigs-=

*Note, I am not making a political argument, nor am I trying to start one!

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 15, 2017, 15:40 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 15, 2017, 10:17:
I was a little surprised, I thought I was pushing the limits. No worries, no harm, no foul.

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. I guess it was something I needed to get out and didn't realize it. I don't drink much because even one beer will give me a nasty hangover the next day (my nickname when I was 18 was 'One Beer' lol). That was the first time in six or seven years. I didn't feel too bad yesterday but then I remembered that I'd written that and when I saw how much I'd written...

=-Rigs-=

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2017, 19:38 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 19:02:
My father had a similar decline from his re-occurrence of prostrate cancer which spread to bone cancer. He died while on "home hospice" care and to this day I wonder if at his request my mother might have overdosed him on morphine, which they had as part of the hospice care. I never asked her, and she has since also died. I kind of doubt she did, but even if she did -- I'd have no complaint.

Well, when my father passed, he was so drugged up, he wasn't conscious. He'd been that way for the previous four days, pretty much since Hospice had started caring for him. But one event and two very odd conversations during those four days have both my mother and I thinking, even now, that something went on. And we're both torn as to whether, if it did happen, it was better that it did, as you said.

<Rest Of Response Redacted>

Wow, I was a little...um...drunk last night, given the circumstances, and wrote a little more than I thought. On further reflection, I think those that I was responding to saw what I've said and I don't think I need to leave something that personal (and painful) up forever. I saved the text, so I'm not trying to erase it from history and if anyone is that curious, they can see what I wrote, I just think I wrote a little more than I'm comfortable with...uh, sober. Not many typos though! Surprising!

Hope you guys understand.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2017, 17:23.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2017, 18:03 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 15:39:
That hurricane track is bizarre.

It's the first cyclone of it's kind since the 'Night of the Big Wind' on Jan 6th, 1839. Though, by the time Ophelia gets to Ireland, it'll most likely be an extratropical (ie cold core) low packing hurricane-force winds. Which is no joke and they should still prepare for some rough weather, though they won't really have to worry about an eye or the eye-wall or anything like that. In fact, it'll probably be part of a cold front (as the 'Night of the Big Wind' was apparently). One notable thing I found in that article about the older storm is an observation of 'motionless clouds' in the calm day before the storm that night. That got me wondering if it's even possible for clouds to be completely motionless? I guess I never really considered it and always thought they'd have at least some motion to them. I know fog can be motionless, to a point, and really all fog is is a cloud at ground level.

Anyway, the 13th of October is a rather depressing day for me, personally. It's the day my father passed away in 2009. He had pancreatic cancer (having beaten prostate cancer a decade before) and was being cared for at home by Hospice. (Don't get me started on Hospice. The rumors of them employing 'Angels of Death' (as some call them) are, IMO, very much true) I had the unfortunate 'pleasure' of watching my 240 pound father waste away to 100 pounds during 2009, not to mention the hundreds of hours spent in emergency rooms and doctors offices. Toward the end, my mother was close to a breakdown and I wasn't far behind. We both sat there holding his hand as he passed. Something I sometimes wish I hadn't done because now it's seared in my brain no matter how much I don't want to think about it. Between that and my sister's passing on Oct 3rd, 2006, which was a shock to the entire family, I don't really look forward to October. I'd rather just power through it and be done with it.

Sorry, didn't mean to be a bummer, guys. Hope you get better, Blue! I had the flu a few months ago, before my surgery and it was absolutely awful. Would not want to repeat that again.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Destiny 2 System Specs Unchanged
5. Re: Destiny 2 System Specs Unchanged Oct 13, 2017, 17:43 Rigs

What is this heresy on the front page of Blues?! A table?! Next there'll be screens and video! Sacrilege!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Oct 12, 2017, 03:33 Rigs

I can say I was very surprised to see it there this morning! I didn't expect to see it, if at all, at least for a week or two. Nope. One day. Not even. Although, at 94 and a half fucking gigs, there's no way IN HELL I'm ever gonna be able to download it, even legit. That's two months of my data cap! Fuck. That.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > World of Warplanes 2.0 Tomorrow
3. Re: World of Warplanes 2.0 Tomorrow Oct 11, 2017, 20:06 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 12:06:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 10:25:
Amazes me that Blizzard doesn't go after them for that name. I remember when LucasArts went after Remedy for a logo that looked too similar to theirs.

You can't copyright the world.

No, but they try anyway. Like when Intel wanted to copyright the number '586' and got shot down, they went with Pentium instead. After a while these corps think they can do anything. The money literally goes to their head.

=-Rigs-=

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 17:22 Rigs

Congrats, Blue, Happy Anniversary! I'm proud to be a Blues regular/veteran and wear my t-shirt with my head held high and chest out everywhere I can! Would really love to get another one (or 10)! I've even considered making one of my own, maybe with the #63 Bluesnews Chevy on it, but I want to update the paintjob first. I have some ideas but nothing solid yet.

Here's to another 21 years or more!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > On CoD: WWII Beta Detail Leaks
4. Re: On CoD: WWII Beta Detail Leaks Oct 9, 2017, 17:06 Rigs

Wash Washburne wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 16:01:
That made me chuckle.

Beta was was interesting, got to run around and get killed every 30 sec. Found myself allied with mix'n'match type squad, some in Nazi uniforms, I was on Allied side in my Airborne OP's, hey I guess those Goosestepping mofo's turned on their Furer, so didn't think much about it, wen't into battle with my trustworthy STG 44...guess it was a captured weapon, meh, to battle I went, shot some Rangers that were on the German side, TRADERS I yelled, as I hosed them down with led...

Briefly wondered what history books they have read, uninstalled...

Uh, you mean 'Tr8tors', right?

In a game about WW2, this looks to be about the worst recreation of it in a long time on PC. I mean, go back and play CoD 1 and 2 and then play this and tell me, besides the 'OMG, 'dem graFics!', in regards to pure gameplay and FUN factor, which is better? I can't help but relate to Mack's sentiments over at 'WAB' (Worth a Buy) on YT. He said it better, really, than I ever could. Take it away Mack!

=-Rigs-=

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 17:49 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 16:58:
I was essentially forced into it, initially. My first car was provided to me by my parents, and at the time I could not refuse as I had no other choice. My dad bought me a $500 1968 VW bug, this was in 1980. So, I learned to drive a manual by necessity. These days, I've never had anything but manuals (minus about 12 months) and I handle it practically subconsciously. I have had more than one person comment on their first drive with me that they didn't realize it was a manual drive until either after the ride or when I was parking at our destination.

A couple of years ago, I was getting a ring job on the engine, so the dealer gave me a loaner. It was an automatic, of course, and after a week of driving it I was nearly ready to kill someone it annoyed me so much.

It really doesn't take away from my paying attention to other things. And I'm someone who knows if you setup your mirrors correctly, there isn't a blind spot.

Ah, a lot of my friends who drive manual well tell me that it's really second nature after a while and doesn't really take from your concentration. But being a noob at it I really can't see how...lol. Even my best friend, when we were still teens, would rub it in that I couldn't drive manual and she could but then she was driving my (auto) truck one day (a custom S-10, lowered, dual exhaust, changed chip...the works, all my father's work, he was to cars as I am to computers) and she slammed the brake pedal thinking she was hitting the clutch on her Ford Ranger! 'Bout put me through the windshield! Haven't let her live it down in the 20+ years since...lol...I suppose if I'd been made to learn it when I was young, as you were, things would be different but my parents both could drive manual but didn't prefer it so I lucked out.

=-Rigs-=

2805 Comments. 141 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo