Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. Currently, lurking and keeping my mouth shut.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2628 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 17:33 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 16:40:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 10:47:
I don't really have anything to say about waifu coffee makers, but I have to say something about the comments in that article. Because for a second I thought I had entered pinterest, and double checked the url. but no, this was really Ars, home of tech geeks and sub cultures, instead I see puritan stuck up anti-geeks complaining about creepiness of waifus? The actual fuck

What happened to Ars? The comments makes it look like some puritan anti-sub culture cult. That is, shocking!

I seriously thought that Ars was a tech site for geeks. But apparently I was wrong. It has gotten invaded by grumpy old (and very stuck up) dwarfs. ^^

No, it's just sad. There's nothing puritanical about that perspective. Spend that $2700 on some self-improvement and go out and meet a fucking real woman. Hell, take it and go to a rub--n-tug or something at least. That or learn to be alone. That sort of desperation, however, is simply pathetic.

The Canadian douche-bro opinion, everyone! In it's natural habitat.

Amazing...simply amazing! Movingalong

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > ASTRONEER Early Access
15. Re: ASTRONEER Early Access Dec 18, 2016, 07:01 Rigs

Bumpy wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 22:49:
Esoteric wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 21:40:
I will second that Empyrion is really good.

Visually, Empyrion certainly looks like a much better choice.

Thanks for the heads up, all. Never heard of this game before.

Retired wrote on Dec 18, 2016, 04:43:
Esoteric wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 21:40:
I will second that Empyrion is really good.

Watched some vids, snatched it up to try it out.

You guys are in for a treat! Don't forget to check the STEAM Workshop for new blueprints of ships and bases. Also, the new Beta 5.0 patch is on the 'experimental' branch, so if you want all the new goodies, you have to switch over to it in STEAM. I'm having trouble with STEAM, ATM, so as soon as I figure out why it's being a jerk, I'm gonna dive right into it! (TBH, I tore down my system last week because I had a failing hard drive controller AND hard drive (my 500gb Seagate) and the 2tb WD hard drive my STEAM install is on is sitting in an external SATA dock, so maybe it's not liking it too much...I'll have to put the drive back in the bay and hook it up)

I promise you're all gonna have some serious time disappearing with Empryion! I can't say enough nice things about this damn game. The devs update it like every few weeks, there's SP and MP (including co-op) - they've just totally nailed it and it just gets better and better...

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 18, 2016, 04:15:
Rigs wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 19:54:
EMPYRION is the best damn NMS-killer out there right now!

Literally every game ever made is better than NMS. I think the NMS comparisons should stop now.

Indeed, it isn't hard to out-NMS NMS, but I know there are a lot of players that were disappointed in it that are on the lookout for something to fill that void and Empyrion does it in spades! Had NMS used it graphics with Empyrion's gameplay...they would be printing money right now. I mean, NMS's planets are much larger than Empryion's and Empyrion still has a no-go border around the poles of the planets due to the way the playfields are set up. This is something that the devs know and are working on to eliminate soon. It's only a minor inconvenience when cruising around. Even Space Engineer's planets are larger and more...grounded but what Empyrion has is good enough and the mining system is superb. I do wish there were underground cave systems like nearly every other survival/exploration game but you can make your own, so that's a nice consolation. You can build a whole base with multiple levels underground or in a mountain if you so choose. And now, you can have multiple separate outposts loosely connected to each other, so that management of them is easier. Before, they had to be all connected physically. It's come a long way since the pre-alpha days and the players have put out some unbelievable ships and bases. Empyrion has a very bright future and that's what, I think, matters most and why it's worth pointing out and spending money on...

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailer
41. Re: the number of nebo is 12 Dec 18, 2016, 01:38 Rigs

Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 21:21:
Rigs wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 19:13:
Thus begins the Age of Telling People What They Want To Hear (At The Time)...

=-Rigs-=

you are just now noticing that everyone does this? just now? how old are you again?

Its a real problem when it takes such an extreme example for people to finally wake up just a teeny tiny itsy bitsy little smidgen and say "WTF? wait a second! whats going on here???"

But then again you cant really blame them - it is indeed truly horrifying to see whats really going on. Terror on such a grand and epic scale, far beyond your wildest dreams. Its just way too many insanity points for most people to handle. Their minds would simply explode, leaving the hollow husk of their body to wander aimlessly through the streets and cubicles.

At least the Elder gods will continue to grow fat on the unconscious suffering of these poor, pathetic, slumbering souls. Oh yes... It is quite the feast for those who thrive in the farthest reaches of darkness. Cthulhu

You think I just fell off the Vict(im)ory Tour cart yesterday? Obviously even pointing out such an extreme example is not enough to wake people up. Some just won't be persuaded no matter the process. In that 'Daily Show' clip I linked to in my original post, there's a comment down below it that just left me utterly speechless...

"I'd still defend him for his honesty, yes. I mean, you'd have to be extremely naive to expect any honesty from politicians. He openly admits his dishonesty, I like that. I wish he would also admit his lack of empathy, and his selfishness and everything else about him, that would make me respect him even more. &#65279;"

For the record, I'm quickly coming up on 39 and feel every damn bit of it...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > ASTRONEER Early Access
8. Re: ASTRONEER Early Access Dec 17, 2016, 19:54 Rigs

I sound like a broken record and many are probably going to get tired of hearing it but the game is worth it - EMPYRION is the best damn NMS-killer out there right now! Seriously, I've taken screens that looked just like out of NMS in EMPYRION. They've done a lot of cool stuff in Empyrion lately and the new, big beta 5.0 patch should be coming soon, too! (They might be waiting on the new year for it but there's plenty to do in the meantime!)

This game was in my recommended the other day but it looked a little too...fresh...to go for just yet, kinda like OSIRIS; New Dawn, last month's space exploration/combat poster child. Will keep an eye on it though, looks interesting...

EDIT: OMG! The 5.0 beta patch is on the experimental branch of Empryion! I just looked, thought I was gonna have a freakin' heart attack! Seriously, you guys HAVE to get this game! I can't say it enough, it's SO fucking worth it! So much stuff in the new update: vessel-based mining (drilling), alliances, AI controlled space vessels (BIG ONE for Single players like me!), a new radial menu (love it!), more diverse and varied POI's (another awesome edition to the SP!), many new blocks, character customization (finally!), and holographic block positioning (again, finally!)...well, you guys know where I'm gonna be for the next couple weeks!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2016, 00:34.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailer
29. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailer Dec 17, 2016, 19:13 Rigs

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 16:52:
In case anyone's wondering what happened to the promised Squadron 42 presentation for CitizenCon (back in October) that was hyped all year long and according to Christ Roberts missed being ready for prime time by the width of a pubic hair and that was supposed to be shown really, really very super-soon after CitizenCon but then was never heard from again until today, well, here's the bullshit excuse from the holiday newsletter...

In anticipation of today's Live Stream, I did want to address one thing that I have been seeing speculation on in the forums: whether or not today's Live Stream will feature the Squadron 42 Vertical Slice.

After we made the decision before CitizenCon that the Squadron 42 vertical slice wasnít ready to be shown publically, we spent some time on reviewing how far off we were and what we wanted to achieve in order to be comfortable showing a full chapter of S42 gameplay. After all the effort we expended for CitizenCon, we didnít want to spend additional developer time polishing intermediate solutions if it wasnít going towards the final product. A slick demo isnít that helpful if it pushes back the finished game, so we decided that the priority should be completing full systems over getting the vertical slice into a showable state.

TL;DR After over five years (going by Roberts' own counting) they still do not have a single mission from Squadron 42 in a presentable state even though the FULL game (not just an episode) was originally supposed to be delivered in late 2014.

Anyone here who is predicting a beta in a year or a couple of years needs to get their head checked. At this rate, we are, without even a hint of exaggeration, a good decade away from the final game (full PU, all ships and gameplay systems, 100 star systems etc.).

So...let me get my head around this...Roberts said at a previous point in time that they would be showing a full 'vertical slice' demo at sometime in 2016 of Sq42? Then, after waiting nearly all year with no word, at CitizenCon, Robert's said that the demo was coming along and would be released to view publicly very very soon and then after no word for weeks, he turned around and said that the 'vertical slice' was bullshit and wasted too much time and effort from the real thing? Am I reading this right?

This sounds exactly like what ol' Donnie Trump has been doing lately since getting elected...

BEFORE: 'LOCK HER UP! I'm gonna get a special prosecutor to look into the illegal use of a private email server by Hillary Clinton to hold classified emails and information.
AFTER: 'Eh, forget about it. It's over with. We should be grateful for her service to the American people'

BEFORE: 'DRAIN THE SWAMP! I'm gonna get all the best people, I know people that are so good at this, people you've never even met and we're going to get special interests and lobbyists OUT of Washington!'
AFTER: (Said in an interview after it was pointed out that all the people he's picking for his administration are lifelong politicians, corporate CEO's or special interest lobbyists) 'Yeah, but everyone down there [in Washington DC] is a lobbyist. You can't get knowledgeable people who don't work for some kind of company or interest'

BEFORE: 'I'M GONNA BUILD A WALL!'
AFTER: 'Yeah, a fence will do'

Thus begins the Age of Telling People What They Want To Hear (At The Time)...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 16, 2016, 21:56 Rigs

I watched CoD: IW's cutscenes the other day, all near three hours of them. Since I don't have a current gen console and I am NOT paying $40+ for a CoD, this was my only way to see what it was like. I watched Advanced Warfare's cutscenes the same way. It looked intriguing in the trailers. The beginning was paint-by-the-numbers and didn't waste any time introducing the baddies. For some reason, I kept thinking that someone on the team would be a traitor and was waiting for the shocking backstab and 'reveal', but, to it's credit, it never did it. Then it was getting to what seemed to be the big finale and I noticed there was still a whole 35 mins left to go and I was wondering if maybe 20 mins of that might be credits (ala HALO: Reach). Alas, no, the ending was, indeed, 35 mins later (the video had no credits) but, for some reason, it felt like this third act was from a different game! Like it had been tacked on at the last minute to pad the game out? The big bad (Jon Snow himself) was (SPOILER!) long dead by this point and yet it just kept going. But the one thing it and HALO: Reach did have in common? You don't survive. Though, some how your buddie/teammate/love interest/fuckbuddie/whatever does? How in the hell...?

So, yeah, not bad...I mean, for a CoD. And they even had a part for ol' Susan Ivanova herself. Brought a tear to my eye!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Surf World Series Announced
3. Re: Surf World Series Announced Dec 16, 2016, 21:40 Rigs

I'd sell my left testicle for a new WaveRace64. My god, the hours I spent playing that damn game! It was so life-changing that introducing it to my then-boss's husband ended up contributing to their eventual divorce! Yes, seriously. He ended up spending most of their anniversary party playing it on my N64 that I brought over (I was dating the boss's daughter at the time, back when I was more jock than geek - HA!). It got to the point that my boss told me in no-uncertain-terms to unhook it and go home...lol! Good times...good times!

So, yes, another one of those, please!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Egosoft Plans "Real" X4
22. Re: Egosoft Plans Dec 16, 2016, 19:50 Rigs

I was just gonna mention Darkstar One. Beat me to it. There's also a remake of Privateer using a newer, custom engine but with all the Privateer media assets called Privateer Gemini Gold, which is (of course) free. It was made from a Star Trek-mod project of Privateer called Vega Strike (or maybe this was the mod and the ST version was the real thing, fuck I dunno!). I was playing it earlier this week on my Windows7/x64 install, 'native' (as in, no DOSBOX needed) and it ran well while giving you some nice graphical options like aspect ratio and bi/tri-linear filtering. Grab it from here if you wanna take another go down that particular rabbit hole!

As for X4 - fucking ecstatic! I was genuinely wondering if Egosoft was going to make an X4 some day just like two days ago! I'm pretty happy with X3:AP and mods, like XRM. I'm currently in the market for a decent budget-ish HOTAS and I'm looking at the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X on the low end and the new T.16000 on the higher end. I can't go for anything like a Warthog or even a Saitek X-50-series on my budget right now and I'm staying FAR away from Saitek for the time being anyway. I'd advise everyone else to do the same! Their quality control is literally nothing right now, since being bought up by Logitech. If you're looking for anything Saitek, wait until Logi starts manufacturing it themselves. Plus, Saitek isn't honoring any warranty requests either 'unofficially'. If you can get a hold of anyone anyway, that is. Sad state of affairs for them.

X3 always had pretty good keyboard and mouse controls so it not so much that as for Elite: Dangerous, Freespace2 (yes, I still play it regularly and it's Wing Commander mod Darkest Dawn) and various flight sims like Combat Flight Sim 2 and 3, FSX, Starlancer, ARMA 2, DCS A-10, etc. etc. etc...

It sounds like Ego has been working on X4 for a while, so I'm hoping it won't be a two-three year wait for it to come out. This is what us X-fanatics have been wanting and waiting for. I'm an NDA-signed beta tester for Ego but even I wasn't in the loop. I'm hearing it for the first time too. Maybe I'll be able to get a nice early peak later next year? Pray

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2016, 17:42.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
33. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2016, 11:09 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 09:09:
nin wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 08:29:
Dem brit-esh teeth?
Her front teeth are fairly prominent when she is speaking. However as best I can tell when she gives a full smile, the teeth are straight. But no, I was thinking it looks like there's a touch of some non-Anglo ethnic group showing up in her face -- can't figure it out though.

(PS. For the crazies, I really don't care what ethnic groups are in her lineage, I'm simply commenting on her, attractive, appearance)

No, no, I get what you're saying, I was thinking the same before. Just something about her. Even when the first trailer hit, she seemed different...In any case, her phone was apparently part of the haul from 'The Fappening', but all I can find is her shot in 'Servants' and a photo of her standing in the snow with nothing on but oven mitts (covering the good parts) and a knit hat...ah well, best not get caught looking for that stuff on the ol' 9-5 (even though I'm self-employed...HA!)...eh, what were we talking about again?

=-Rigs-=

29. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2016, 20:22 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 20:01:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 19:03:
You know The Asylum is going to come out with a Rogue One knockoff called Rouge One. You just know it!

Waiting for the inevitable pr0n parody: Stroke One.

I dunno, that Jyn Erso (Felicty Jones) is pretty hot, I might have to go Rogue One out...

For the record, I absolutely despise the term 'rub one out' and would gladly shoot the next 'bro' that says it casually.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Descent: Underground Next Year?
16. Re: Descent: Underground Next Year? Dec 14, 2016, 19:09 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 18:59:
Rigs wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 17:18:
Guys..guys! Forget this Descent-wannabe trash! (and those screens on STEAM look horrible) I found the real successor to Descent! Not only does it play good and look the part, it has a DEMO ON STEAM! Check it! You won't be disappointed, I promise!

It's called 'Overload'
http://store.steampowered.com/app/450220/

=-Rigs-=

If memory serves this is created by the people behind original Descent.

My biggest gripe with D:U is ship handling. It's been more than a decade but I distinctly remember the 6DoF control of ships was almost perfect. The last few times I played D:U it feels like I'm flying around in a camera with a ship HUD attached. There's no feeling of control. Kind of a bad thing to have for a game focused on ship to ship combat in tunnels.

Yes, Overload is made by several original devs of Descent. I consider it to be the true sequel to the older original series. It has 'that feeling' that is apparently missing in Underground. Seriously, play the demo, you'll be right back where you were in the original. The AI is very good and the levels LOOK like they would if you took Descent and upgraded it to today's graphics. And it's not built with a multiplayer-centric theme, as Underground is. There's two missions in the demo plus an arcade gauntlet-mode to see how long you can survive. I've personally gotten 44 kills before dying but the AI is pretty brutal. Not to mention the AI robots blow up in a very satisfying way. The weapons feel right and the levels are laid out just like in Descent. You even have only 10 seconds to get to the exit after destroying the reactor.

=-Rigs-=

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2016, 18:04 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 17:59:
mellis wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 16:10:
Dacote wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 11:06:
Cutter wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 10:44:
That's called marketing, not the Force. It looks like a Disnified PC crap to me.
Look kids, this is what happens to children when they were weened prematurely. Either that or it's an adult with fetal alcohol syndrome.

Except he's right. If it didn't have 'Star Wars' in-front of the title, people would see it as the shovel-ware it really is.

Ironically, the very best representation of Star Wars since Episodes 4,5 and 6 comes from EA in the form of their Knights of the Old Republic MMORPG CGI trailers.

Stop feeding that fucking loser. All he is is a troll. Blue, ban that piece of shit already.

I say we should take a vote on who should get banned but something tells me I already know the winner (and it's not because of Russian hackers!)

=-Rigs-=

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2016, 17:40 Rigs

You guys are such cynical sons a bitches! Guess that's why I love coming here. Except for Cutter. But then again, I could say anything because I'm ignored. What an honor.

Anyway, you guys know every movie doesn't have to be Oscar-worthy 'Saving Private Ryan' life-changing shit, right? You CAN just watch a movie to actually enjoy it. I applaud them for making a STAR WARS movie that isn't an 'Episode' featuring Luke's dysfunctional family as the focus! About damn time! The STAR WARS universe is so freakin' big...like literally...that we should have stories that have nothing to do with his incestuous escapades. Ahem.

Hell, I'd go for a story that doesn't even involve the Rebellion/New Republic at all! I want to see everyday life on an Empire world, like Coruscant during the middle of the Empire's rule. Maybe a story about a stormtrooper that is chosen to try out to be a Emperor's Red Guard and the trials/deceits he endures. There's a reason Tie Fighter is the most liked game in the series. It shows the Empire from the perspective that they're the ones being attacked and persecuted by the Rebellion. I want to see a movie based on what the individual Star Destroyer captains went through during and after the Battle of Endor. What they did, where they went, how life changed after the death of Povaltine and Vader (his favorite Sith).

There are some many things that can be explored that aren't. Rogue One is a massive step in the right direction. I'm going to enjoy the fuck out of this movie when I see it in IMAX next week! I just wish my daughter could be there with me. I turned her to the 'Dark Side' (much to the chagrin of her mother) and now she loves SW and Vader. Unfortunately, she's almost 1000 miles away in KY (I'm in north FL). I'm still gonna watch it, though. I'm sure she'll want to know what happens in the whole four minutes that Vader is supposedly in it...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Descent: Underground Next Year?
13. Re: Descent: Underground Next Year? Dec 14, 2016, 17:18 Rigs

Guys..guys! Forget this Descent-wannabe trash! (and those screens on STEAM look horrible) I found the real successor to Descent! Not only does it play good and look the part, it has a DEMO ON STEAM! Check it! You won't be disappointed, I promise!

It's called 'Overload'
http://store.steampowered.com/app/450220/

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2016, 17:23.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Dec 13, 2016, 23:34 Rigs

Well, add another to the list...Alan Thicke - Dead at 69...

According to the website TMZ, Thicke, who was the father of singer Robin Thicke, suffered a heart attack while playing hockey with his son Carter. He was taken to Providence St. Josephís Medical Center in Burbank, Calif., where he died.

Fuck this year...seriously...fuck it HARD...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2016, 23:51.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 13, 2016, 15:48 Rigs

Pigeon wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 13:41:
The last time I tried to do anything with windows store it wanted me to convert my local account into a MS account (i.e. when you login to your computer you're also logging in to Microsoft), and then after a mandatory install of one-drive it started randomly backing shit up to TEH CLOUD. I have a free copy of the new Gears of War game out there that I will never play because I don't want to go through all that shit again.

You know, no offense, but it sounds like when a child comes up to something and is like, 'oh! what does this button do?!'. You're a gamer, at least I assume that because you're here, and being a gamer means, by default, you need to do a few things. One, is actually know what you're getting into and how to get out of it if it doesn't work right. Two, is to RTFM. Seriously, you won't play the new GoW because you can't be bothered to read how to setup your MS login correctly and then make sure that that piece of shit One-Drive (sounds like a millennial band...like Nickel-Back, ugh!) doesn't start uploading your prized possession of Natalie Portman porn (it's ok, man, we all have some, you're among friends here! ) to the Net-version of a thundercloud. (Which, btw, is about as good at holding data securely as the real version!)

C'mon, man-up, grab that manual and install that game! Don't let it beat you down! Tell MS they can suck it and play all night while they get stuck having to use Bing to look at fake nudes of Natalie Portman...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2016, 23:38.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch
22. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Dec 12, 2016, 17:55 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 16:21:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 15:31:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 15:03:
Perhaps some knew but "Hindsight is 20/20" implies the vast majority did not. Let's be real. The game was pitched as-is at launch but delivered nothing beyond basic gameplay. There's no amount of foresight to prepare anyone for that.

I think there is if you're willing to forego the hype train. What was shown in demos and videos just wasn't technologically possible for the hardware and software we have at hand, period. Anyone who has been gaming long enough should have known that, there's tons of examples in gaming history that show that NMS is far from unique in its failings. I feel it takes a mighty leap to disregard those facts and history when you see the latest example of it coming down the pipeline.

Do I like the fact that NMS customers got screwed? On the whole, no. But I do take a bit of schadenfreude in the people whom are crying about it now when I and others told them that this was a bait and switch scheme were shouted down.

Procedurally generated, truly unique content may be possible on the hardware and with the software we have 20 years from now (outside of ASCII based efforts). It's nearly 2017 and we're struggling to get photorealistic visuals at an acceptable framerate with limited art assets.
The procgen and lack of photorealism aren't really the issues with NMS. It's weak gameplay and lack of promised features that would make the game more fun and interesting to play.

I think what really killed my enthusiasm for the game was that there wasn't really anything besides the single-minded 'grind'. Yeah, you could 'explore' but to what end? Not like going into that cave was going to net you some ultra rare type of ore or some kind of treasure (which would have been pretty cool!). Anything you got in there you could get outside, around your ship. Then, while flying around along the ground, you couldn't run into anything, there was no danger. Every hundreds of feet, there was a new 'outpost' or POI. EVERY FEW HUNDRED FEET! Mostly too far to go on foot but then somewhat overkill to take off and land all the time. There needed to be an in-between, like a speeder (which, btw, is available in the NMS-killer, Empyrion!) And for the adverts and marketing press to say you were the first to explore these worlds, they left out the end of the sentence...'by YOUR species'. Because, sure as hell, every other species had plopped down outposts, buildings and bases! So what was the point, then? The other intelligent species in the game had already colonized these planets long before you were there. Who's to say they hadn't already done all the cataloging already and it was in THEIR databanks?

So that's the two most important features of the game undermined. What's left? The 'story'? Rotfl

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ Next Month
11. Re: The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ Next Month Dec 12, 2016, 17:27 Rigs

Retired wrote on Dec 11, 2016, 08:11:
Rigs wrote on Dec 10, 2016, 17:57:
sir wrote on Dec 10, 2016, 14:24:
Reminds me of an old joke: What's the difference between a bucket of sand and a bucket of afterbirth? You can't gargle with a bucket of sand.

*walks slowly around sir while keeping eye contact at all times, back against the wall and takes a seat on the other side of the room*

Ahem.

Anyway, at least Jim (fucking) Sterling (son) will be happy, he (fucking) adores this game. I could never get into it even though I love roguelikes. But I'm more into the actual ASCII-type 'pure' rogues, like Brogue (which is awesome on an iPad, btw!), the original Rogue (which is extremely hard to get into) and stuff like Dwarf Fortress's Adventure-mode, along with newer ones like Caves of Qud, COGMind, Claustrophobia, and ADOM...

*continues watching sir from across the room while slowly sipping his sake*

=-Rigs-=

Rigs, have you tried SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition

It is similar to L.O.R.D. (Legend Of the Red Dragon) from back in the BBS days. Great game done right.

Yup, in fact, I was playing it just a few days ago, before the primary hard drive controller on my board decided to have a stroke. It's a pretty awesome bit of text-based rogue action and I love every second of it! Even the soundtrack is awesome 8-bit goodness. I haven't gotten far into it but I'm getting better with the mechanics. Takes some getting used to, especially if you're one whose imagination hasn't been thoroughly used since elementary school...

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 11, 2016, 04:12:
Pixel Dungeon is a free rogue-like for android (prolly costs $ for iOS) that recently got released on steam as well. Many good variants also, like shattered and sprouted.

Name sounds familiar, I'll have to definitely check it out. Old school rogues on a tablet are a tricky thing and I've found few that get it right. Even Brogue has it's quirks. Cardinal Quest 2 is my 'holy grail' of roguelikes on the ol' iPad, what at an absolutely awesome game! Still, I'm always game for something new and I'm always actively looking for something as good, maybe Pixel Dungeon is it?

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2016, 17:37.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch
9. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Dec 12, 2016, 13:33 Rigs

b
ForgedReality wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 11:54:
Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 12, 2016, 11:48:
Game still needs at least a year of patching and several Foundation sized free expansions before I'd recommend at any price. Every gameplay feature is so basic and poorly implemented. Flying, shooting, collecting resources, all were done so much better in other games more than a decade ago. The one saving grace, if they chose to embrace it, is the struggling modding community. It came on strong then burned out very quickly. Open the game up some more and invite the fans in then this could be something to talk about. Right now it's a waste of a good music soundtrack.

You kids these days just can't appreciate the value of a tech demo...

Hmmm, no, this is not the tech demo I was looking for. In 1998, I saw a demo of a game (which was just a tech demo at the time) that blew me away. It wasn't interactive but it didn't have to be. That demo turned into X: BTF. I got the game on launch day and played it until I couldn't stand it anymore. Then I played X2 and X3, both TC and AP. But then the devs, Egosoft, see, they got greedy. They figured with this huge fan base that if they changed the 'X' formula around, maybe it would be the big 'AAA' hit they always wanted. That mistake became X: Rebirth. No Man's Sky went right from tech demo to X: Rebirth in the same dev cycle. They didn't learn from the mistakes that Egosoft made. If NMS could just be a really graphically impressive X3, then they'd have more money than hookers to spend it on! But no, they had to go the Rebirth route instead. It's sad, NMS could have been the space-trading-combat game we've all wanted since the 80's and it got so fucking close but... Sigh

Having said all that, I still hold out a little hope that NMS will become the game everyone wanted. That they've started to work on it again is a good sign and the 'Foundation Update' is a good start, despite the bile some have thrown at it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a tech demo to get running on Win7/x64 that was designed to run when Win98SE was the hot shit...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2016, 13:56.

News Comments > The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ Next Month
7. Re: The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ Next Month Dec 10, 2016, 17:57 Rigs

sir wrote on Dec 10, 2016, 14:24:
Reminds me of an old joke: What's the difference between a bucket of sand and a bucket of afterbirth? You can't gargle with a bucket of sand.

*walks slowly around sir while keeping eye contact at all times, back against the wall and takes a seat on the other side of the room*

Ahem.

Anyway, at least Jim (fucking) Sterling (son) will be happy, he (fucking) adores this game. I could never get into it even though I love roguelikes. But I'm more into the actual ASCII-type 'pure' rogues, like Brogue (which is awesome on an iPad, btw!), the original Rogue (which is extremely hard to get into) and stuff like Dwarf Fortress's Adventure-mode, along with newer ones like Caves of Qud, COGMind, Claustrophobia, and ADOM...

*continues watching sir from across the room while slowly sipping his sake*

=-Rigs-=

2628 Comments. 132 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo