Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. Currently, lurking and keeping my mouth shut.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2689 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Diluvion Next Month
6. Re: Diluvion Next Month Jan 11, 2017, 11:55 Rigs

KilgoreTrout wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 07:24:
I didn't get the feel of underwater at all from this video. Big ships spinning around after a hit is something that happens in the air, not in a liquid. Broke the immersion for me, but maybe I'm over-analyzing things.

No, you're right. I think if the space-genre wasn't so crowded, this game could easily had been done with a space theme. It looks as much, as you said, by the motions of the craft supposedly 'under water'. I mean, it's 2017, we have physics based engines out there, can't we have a underwater, liquid-mechanics-based game by now? I don't see why not. Maybe they just didn't have the resources to do so or it wasn't conductive to gameplay. I still would like to see one eventually, though. We have near perfect air simulations and near perfect racing sims, why not underwater? Hell, Waverace64 was fun as hell and very convincing...

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 11, 2017, 11:47 Rigs

Yeah, Nintendo isn't that stupid...(I hope...this isn't a gaming iPad, guys, it doesn't need iPad pricing)

I think $300 is the upper limit on what they should be shooting for. No one but the diehards are going to pay more than that...

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

News Comments > PC Brut@l Next Month
2. Re: PC Brut@l Next Month Jan 9, 2017, 19:45 Rigs

Gotta admit it's an interesting graphic style but one thing it isn't is ASCII...it may look like ASCII but that's definitely not the ASCII I know. Aside from that, you guys really couldn't have found a better name? I get where they're going with it but DRIV3R used up all my patience for this kind of thing.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Scalebound Cancelled
1. Re: Scalebound Cancelled Jan 9, 2017, 19:37 Rigs

Hey, I just read that on IGN!

Uhoh Uh...um...I mean, a friend of mine just read that and told me...I don't go to IGN, who goes to IGN? That's a horrible place to go...how 'bout them Pats, huh?

Funny how they announce the game is cancelled and in the very next sentence go into all the great stuff they're giving us this year...like, 'don't look over there! Look at these shiny keys I got! They're so shiny...can you get 'em? C'mon, try to get 'em!'

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > New Steam User Record
7. Re: New Steam User Record Jan 9, 2017, 12:10 Rigs

NKD wrote on Jan 9, 2017, 03:02:
Rigs wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 22:05:
I dunno, seems a little bullshitty to me. It's a Sunday afternoon during playoff football season. I just don't see it happening. Then again, it's cold AF outside, so... Whatever

=-Rigs-=

Maybe it's the rapture.

Nope, the Rapture was just a 2016 thing. If you didn't get in (by being dead), I'm afraid you struck out. Sorry. Bright side is we all apparently lost out, so you're in good company.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2017, 22:23 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 20:10:
'Sweet Sassy Molassey! Get out the checkbook and pay grandma for the rubdown as the Packers beat the Giants!' Cheerleading

BOOOOO!!!

Fuckin' Giants, man! You had ONE job! ONE! All you had to do was beat the Packers! And you couldn't even do that! First playoff game and you're going home with your tails between your legs like a puppy that pissed on the rug! Serves ya right! I am very disappoint right now!

Ahem! As for Bowie, I always loved the songs 'Eyes Without A Face', 'Rebel Yell' and 'Cradle of Love'...until I found out they were all Billy Idol songs. Whoops! Turns out I was never really a Bowie fan.

Happy B-Day, Frans! Thanks for keeping the ol' Blue Tower shining night and day!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > New Steam User Record
3. Re: New Steam User Record Jan 8, 2017, 22:05 Rigs

I dunno, seems a little bullshitty to me. It's a Sunday afternoon during playoff football season. I just don't see it happening. Then again, it's cold AF outside, so... Whatever

=-Rigs-=

10. Re: About those terrible final shots in Rogue One and The Force Awakens. Jan 8, 2017, 08:02 Rigs

Rogue One had much bigger problems (for me anyway), but that final shot is the one thing hardest to shake.

Oh, get the fuck over it, you pathetically entitled nerd! At least we didn't have some cringe-induced psychological trauma that was Jar-Jar! OMG, CGI Princess Leia! God-fucking-Forbid they try to push the tech envelope in a big-budget, triple-A movie, huh? She's in there for a minute, out of an hour and a half movie and you're crying in your Fruit Loops?! They did a telescoped long shot helicopter pass to end Force Awakens and in order to do so, the actors had to stand there for just 4.3 seconds too long. there-by ruining the movie in it's entirety!

Can I please live in the world in which you inhabit? You know, the one where these piss-poor excuses for controversy are clearly the biggest things that occupy our collective concern in the world today? Where everything stops so nerdom can take time to consider whether CGI-Tarkin hurts his legacy? Not his acting career legacy, mind you. Oh no, we don't give two fucks about that! His story legacy within the Star Wars universe, of course!

For some reason, I have the strongest of urges to go take a long, hot shower after reading that 'article'....And I just got out of the shower not 40 minutes ago... Brood

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > World War II Online Coming to Steam
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2017, 15:51 Rigs

I've owned this game, at one point or another, a total of four times over the last two decades. I bought it at release in June (July?) 2001. I remember sitting in the doctors office in Manhattan reading the manual, waiting for my (now ex-) wife to come out, thinking, 'wow, this is gonna be totally awesome!'. And it was...a complete disaster. LOL! When I got home, I installed it only for it to crash constantly when trying to login or start a game. Then after a few patches, there were the intermittent connection issues, more crashes, more bugs than an abandoned city housing development...the list just goes on and on. Cornered Rat, the devs, just were NOT ready for it's launch. That much was obvious. So I sadly returned my copy before moving back to FL, a couple months before 9/11.

I had largely forgotten about the game except for the horror stories coming out of it every so often. How it took three steps to even fire your gun or reload it. Just ridiculous stuff. How it took a half an hour to get to the 'front' only to be sniped in two seconds. Rinse, repeat. I didn't give up hope that one day, in the far future, this game would finally become the masterpiece it was always supposed to be.

Let's hope they've made significant progress over the last decade, ja?

=-Rigs-=

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2017, 03:04 Rigs

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 00:43:
For this, but I'll save everyone the time: http://assets1.ignimgs.com/2016/04/07/mon-mothmajpg-6523e8_765w.jpg

Mon Mothma: 'FYI, all you single guys...my emotional state...really isn't the greatest...' Crazy

Han Solo: 'Mmmm, hottie' Snuh

BONUS!

Luke: 'All these steps to go somewhere and I could just not walk and be farther'

Vader (Jack Black): *turns* 'Duuude!'

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2017, 05:37.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda in March
53. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 21:20 Rigs

Drayth wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 18:50:
Yes please, space battles. The descriptions of ship battles in the old ME codex's were freaking awesome.

This is a series that could really use the equivalent of FF Tactics, only the tactics involves ship-to-ship combat.

If I had time, I'd go looking for the post I made some time around ME3's release about how cool it would be to have an X-wing-style simulator in the ME universe, like playing one of those small fighters in the last big battle sequence at Earth, flying in between those bigger cruisers and capital ships as they duke it out, firing on each other, being blasted to bits that you have to fly through (ala the beginning of SW:Ep3:RotS). I mean, how fucking awesome would that be?! And if they made it VR-capable too, like the paltry demo X-Wing mission you get in SW:BF? But still able to be enjoyed on a regular LCD too. (or multiples of them, if available...heh) Why hasn't this already been greenlit, EA'd and kicked out the door?! C'mon, Bioware, get with the program! Go tell that hack Chris Roberts that while he may be a good kisser, he still can't design a worthy triple-A game to save his fucking life (or the lives of his employees for that matter, from the looks of it!)

Goddamn, now I gotta go load up X-Wing Alliance or Tie Fighter...oooh! Maybe I'll go play some Rogue Squadron 2 on Dolphin! *runs off*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Project IGI Developers Buy Back IP
23. Re: Project IGI Developers Buy Back IP Jan 5, 2017, 10:28 Rigs

If I had the time, CJ, I'd go back and forth with you on this, but sadly I just don't have it. Was a nice trip down ol' memory lane, though. I guess you win, sorta....for now...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda in March
26. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 10:24 Rigs

Jerykk wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 03:53:
Actually, there are a good number of people here who put thought into their posts rather than resorting to snarky comments without substance and without addressing any actual points made by anyone.

Oh! Oh! Oh! Am I one of them?! Please say I'm one of them!

Yes, seriously. My self-esteem depends on if people like what I post.

For real.*

Also, +1 for mentioning B5...I always felt that ME was closest in having that B5 feel and the Minbari - Asari similarities can't be a coincidence.

=-Rigs-=

*Not really.

21. Re: Project IGI Developers Buy Back IP Jan 4, 2017, 19:53 Rigs

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 18:30:
Well, billions of people shared that era with you and you are still wrong. 3D acceleration was widespread by 1997. There was the first batch of Voodoos (Monster 3D, Orchid etc.) and also Matrox Mystique, S3 Virge and ATI Rage (among many others but they were the prevalent ones) predating the Voodoos by several years.

The devs of JSF *chose* a software rendering method maybe because they felt they could achieve better results or because they lacked the resources to support 3D hardware acceleration but 1997 was by no means "the days before 3D Acceleration". You could say that about 1994/1993 when everything was VLB (Vesa Local Bus) but the first hardware 3D accelerators started appearing ~3 years before 1997.

By 1997, there were many cooks in the 3D acceleration kitchen back then and 3Dfx hit it big with the first Voodoo (I had a Diamond Monster 3D personally because it was the best, of course! ).

FFS...I had a Pentium2 with all the fixin's in August of '97 - a P2/400 on Asus legendary P2B board with Intel's now equally legendary 440BX chipset, 128mb of RAM, 6gb hard drive, a Rendition-based (on purpose, to play Grand Prix Legends the next year) Diamond Stealth S220 (which I still have, btw, you'll have to pry out of my cold, dead fingers) and two VooDoo2-based Diamond Monster 3D-2's in SLI. (It started with one but when my system originally came with a PSU that couldn't support the load of two video cards (not to mention three) and before I found it was the PSU causing the black screens, Diamond had already sent a new Monster3D 2 to me and never asked for the original back, so I kept it, bought a new PSU and used both in SLI. I still have one of them. ) I know what I'm talking about, CJ. The third gen of 3D Accelerators was just coming out but it was still very early days back then. Most games didn't have 3D acceleration unless they were purposely made for it. One of the games I loved dearly, Nascar Racing 2 had 3D patches after the fact, as did Jane's F-15. Most games that had 3-4 year dev cycles just finishing did this if they could. MechWarrior 2 started out with no 3D acceleration but became the poster child of it later on. Still, it wasn't a given that every new system would have a 3D card, not in 1997. I had specific reasons for my system and had it built with those cards on purpose (it was the last system I paid to have built before I started building myself ($3800 hard earned). In fact, this was the reason I went to building them myself, because of the horrible experience of getting to the bottom of why I was getting black screens when playing games and the builder didn't have the experience with 3D accelerators (it was his first system with one - a shop, in a major FL city, 1st one!) and refused to replace the PSU when I finally figured out that that was the problem. So I did it myself and never went back...except when I got a DELL in 2004 but that was because I had unused credit).

So when I say, this is 'was the days before 3D Acceleration', I'm not saying there wasn't any, I'm saying it wasn't widespread (yet), devs hadn't jumped on the bandwagon (yet) and games that had been in development for years before this hadn't been built with 3D acceleration in mind (like JSF).

=-Rigs-=

19. Re: Project IGI Developers Buy Back IP Jan 4, 2017, 12:44 Rigs

Overmann wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 07:13:
Rigs wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 04:49:

These were the days right before 3D Acceleration, so devs had to do some fancy coding to get ahead with what they had.
=-Rigs-=

Your joking right? IGI came out in 2000 and it required a 3D Accelerator to play.

There where plenty of real time 3d games before 2000 that required hardware rendering.

Either you didn't read my whole post or aren't paying attention. So, no, I wasn't joking. My post talked about IGI's predecessor, JSF. Like the whole post is about that. JSF was released in Dec. of 1997, right when the Voodoo2's were coming out and, as such, didn't have 3D acceleration as an option. IGI did, obviously. C'mon, man, that was like MY era, I know what I'm talking about.

=-Rigs-=

16. Re: Project IGI Developers Buy Back IP Jan 4, 2017, 04:49 Rigs

Xero wrote on Jan 3, 2017, 22:37:
Haha, going back to the days of downloading RIPS, Project IGI was one of them. It used an airplane simulator graphic engine to allow the larger open outdoor environment that by today's standards obviously looks like ass, lol.

I had OK fun with the game. Wasn't my favorite shooter, but it was something at that time.

People that mentioned Soldier of Fortune and NOLF, WORD UP. I had Soldier of Fortune pre-ordered the day after I downloaded the demo on my 56k modem that took me all day and I beat it.

NOLF I was just talking about the other day after watching Austin Powers Spy Who Shagged Me, on TV. Man, I wish they would bring that back. If anyone can do it, Flying Wild Hog - Shadow Warrior 2 peeps. They got the humor in Shadow Warrior occasionally. I think they can go balls out with a NOLF 3 game.

The simulator engine they used was from the game JSF. I'd forgotten about that. It used a unique way of rendering terrain, something like what Comanche: Maximum Overkill/Armored Fist/Delta Force did with voxels. These were the days right before 3D Acceleration, so devs had to do some fancy coding to get ahead with what they had. Even with all that, I recall it didn't exactly light the store shelves on fire. Game was still pretty good, I have it somewhere around here. Maybe I'll boot it up this weekend for the hell of it...

Note, however, that even though JSF claims to let you fly the 'highly classified' X-32 and X-35, they look almost nothing like what ended up being the Joint Strike Fighter, the F-35. (You know the one they say can't dogfight worth shit and cost $2 trillion and counting. Yeah, that one.)

=-Rigs-=

54. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2017, 18:33 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Jan 2, 2017, 14:16:
Frans wrote on Jan 2, 2017, 03:01:
Rigs wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 17:11:
EDIT: Oh! Also, maybe some more time to EDIT a post before it says on the bottom that it's been edited?
I've doubled the window to 10 minutes.

Also maybe an option to disable the extra 'Post has been edited' step after editing a post (duh!). So we hit 'Edit' and it goes right back to the thread with our newly edited post. That would save some time.
Given how the board code handles form submissions, it's not possible (or at easy to see how) to make an exception just there.

Thanks Frans. I've always felt 5m was a bit short.

Indeed, much thanks, Frans! We will endevour to endure this creeky old site for as long as it carries us...or something like that.

=-Rigs-=

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2017, 01:03 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 00:44:
loomy wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 18:07:
As for forum upgrades, I wish we could get some kind of upvote or 'like' or something. Or maybe something that shows how many times it's been viewed

don't do any of this

Agree! Upvote/downvote is not welcomed on this site.

Quboid wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 22:51:
A 'like' system, some way to agree with a post or thank a poster, would be nice. An acknowledgement, rather than a popularity contest.

Geez, ok, I get it, no upvoting...I was just throwing ideas out anyway, nothing concrete. At least I got you all sharing your opinion (even if it's what not to do). I was thinking more like Quboid, some kind of acknowledgment of your post by readers. Like number of 'views'.

jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 23:32:
I mentioned to Rigs last time he complained about this that it was his computer. The rest of us work fine.

Rigs, stop using IE v5.0

And just when did we have this supposed discussion? Besides shows how much you know, I've never used IE 5! I skipped it and went right to IE 6. The last time we had this discussion.

jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 23:25:
*JDreyer examines code. Finds something interesting.*

underline = TRUE;
If (username == "Rigs") underline = FALSE;

Happy New Year!

See! I'm a victim of circumstance!

Again, Happy New Year, ya'll...I'm goin' to kill some more Caco's and then go to bed! I have a feeling some people here are gonna be just a tad bit groggy in the morning...

=-Rigs-=

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2016, 21:01 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 20:37:
Rigs wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 20:22:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 20:02:

Speaking of which, Frans, the 'underline' code DOES NOT WORK! I've tried to use it several times in posts and it won't work.

underlined

striked through

both

• fixed

• Just like I said, they don't work. And haven't for a while. Unless I'm blind and/or seeing alternate universe versions.
    It's working fine on my end with 3 different browsers (chrome, android chrome, ie and firefox), maybe it's time to clean your cache and cookies.

Wow SON OF A BITCH! You mean this whole time it worked (just not on my Chrome)?!

Well, ok, then disregard that! I guess it does work. Geez, I feel stupid, but I wonder why my Chrome install won't do it? This is what I see in Chrome. Clearing cookies and cache does nothing. It works in Firefox but I haven't used FF in a long time. I only fire it up when a site doesn't work well in Chrome. I never thought to check it out in FF too. That's really strange. Huh...

=-Rigs-=

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2016, 20:22 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 20:02:

Speaking of which, Frans, the 'underline' code DOES NOT WORK! I've tried to use it several times in posts and it won't work.

underlined

striked through

both

• fixed

• Just like I said, they don't work. And haven't for a while. Unless I'm blind and/or seeing alternate universe versions. (which is a distinct possibility, I mean, Trump got elected, anything is possible!)

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 19:54:
    You mean like this?

*hugs Rigs*

Ok got the contacts out and cooked dinner (does anyone else really get into music/singing when toasty?) Be safe folks, 4 hours left to go. And has anyone checked on Betty White?

Yup, that'll do just fine! Giggle Glomp

I'm gonna go get my ass kicked in DOOM for a little while and enjoy the rest of my homemade nachos and sparkling white grape juice...I shall return... Ahoy

(Does anyone remember that Beavis and Butthead episode where Butthead chokes on a nacho and nearly dies for like half the time? Funny shit! Not that I plan on reenacting it or anything. *knocks on wood*)

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 31, 2016, 21:02.

2689 Comments. 135 pages. Viewing page 16.
    < Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
    and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo