Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 3091 (Veteran)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Destiny 2 Ghost Comes to Alexa
10. Re: Destiny 2 Ghost Comes to Alexa Nov 30, 2017, 21:53 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 17:13:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 15:33:
Cutter wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 11:36:
I can't believe people not only allow these spying devices into their homes but willingly pay for them.

While I don't have one for this reason, the argument is...

What are they going to actually record that's so bad? Most people don't say their credit cards out loud or addresses other identity thieving shit.

I mean what, someone's going to love hearing you have a rage fit? Wooptie doo.

Yeah, well what happens if you're discussing something illegal - not actually plan on doing it - with someone. What is you're drunk and just spouting off to a buddy and say, 'Man, I'l like to assinate the Prez!' and few days later the Secret Service shows up at your door? Now Google may say they'll never do that but we already know they do for a fact - look at the recent bullshit with tracking people on Android phones against their explicit wishes. There are so many way that this sort of thing can bite you in the ass that you couldn't even consider before buying one. Just look at the murder case involving this.

I got a better one, what if you were campaigning for some Senate seat or something really important, or maybe going to interview for CEO of some high profile company and a few years before you were drunk at a party/bar and said some outrageously sexist/misogynistic things like 'Oh wow, I'd love the >beep< the <beep> on that girl and then <beeeeeeep>' and someone hacked a server that (maybe an opponents hires someone from Russia) this convo has been archived on and it's not secure and it gets out. Now, it was 'just' 'guy talk' but in this climate? Right or wrong, say goodbye to your career.

Or...

Think if you were to go against Google is some kind of legal fight and they 'just so happen' to leak a convo like this to the public but don't acknowledge any wrong doing? Which do you think the public will turn on - Google for 'allegedly' leaking it or you for being a 'sexist asshole'? You see where this could go...

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers and DOOM VFR Specs
6. Re: New GeForce Drivers and DOOM VFR Specs Nov 30, 2017, 21:14 Rigs

Hoping these drivers work better than the 388.13/31's...I'm still having 'Driver has been reset' problems with video, now including Youtube. (The .13's didn't have a problem with Youtube, for some odd reason) I had two resets last night while watching Youtube. Very annoying to be watching something and the whole damn screen going black, especially in a dark, unlit room. Felt like the power went out, only the sound was fine. *sigh*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 30, 2017, 03:50 Rigs

I'll second (third) that Firefox Quantum suggestion, been using it for about two weeks now and I'm very happy with it. Coming from Chrome after a few years, it's nice to get back to the Mozilla ecosystem. I originally dropped it because of the excessive RAM usage and Chrome had the added spice of being logged in to my Google account, which I could access on my phone as well. Now with FF Sync, I can do the same thing and have been. Chrome is just way too resource hungry anymore. And it's insistence on canning Flash and Java is a PITA. As long as you have them updated, I don't see why they can't be included. Just run a check to make sure you have the latest version and if not, insist on downloading it otherwise deactivate it, don't throw the baby out with the bath water, especially with Java.

Anyway, even with like five or six tabs open, Chrome was getting out of hand and when I've seen people have 50, 70, 100(!!!) freakin' tabs open at a time, I don't see how. I have 14gb of RAM and even when I had 20gb, it still ground my desktop to a crawl with more than 10 tabs open, especially if it was a resource intensive page. You people are nuts! Performance seems much better with FF Quantum now and I think I'll stick with it until Chrome steps up it's game. They have valid competition now, which was sorely needed...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
72. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 00:08 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 23:52:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 23:37:
Here's 4 TB of 7200 rpm goodness for $100.
Technology is so cool. I remember how amazing it was the first time I was able to buy 1 GB drives for $100.

I didn't even know what a hard drive was until I got my IBM PS/1 in '92. Up until then I'd been using a Tandy CoCo3, which only had 128k of memory and two 5.25" drives. When I got my P2/400 in '97, I had a 6gb hard drive and thought I'd never fill it!

I'm actually looking hard at Seagate's hybrid SSD/HD drives (SSHD). They have a 1tb SSHD for $90, which isn't bad. And NewEgg has the 1tb 850Evo SSD's for $230, which isn't bad either. A 1tb SSD? Wow!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2018, 19:57.

63. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2017, 00:10 Rigs

* REMOVED *

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2018, 19:59.

News Comments > Get Flight Unlimited 2K16 for Free
6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2017, 18:20 Rigs

DangerDog wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 14:14:
lol when "Free" is too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8BcB2cbYuA

"I ain't got time for that"

*captured at 60fps, game barely reaches 20*

*fires in engines sound like a nice, quiet nap next to the camp fire*

*loads up X-Plane 11 instead...then reinstalls FSX and loses six hours while looking for interesting mods*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > One Hour Star Citizen Video
22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2017, 20:12 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 14:37:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 13:21:
What's more surprising, the fact that jdreyer wanted a SC thread or that SC has users?

My dream came true!!

Also, @Tispy: so funny. Laugh2

jdreyer wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 14:21:
You know what we haven't had for a while?

A good old-fashioned Star Citizen thread!

Dammit, JD! Consider yourself virtually smacked with a virtual rolled-up newspaper...

=-Rigs-=

61. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2017, 19:57 Rigs

* REMOVED *

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2018, 20:00.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2017, 02:34 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 01:34:
Called Gram at 7:30 down in South FL, she said it was 80 degrees!

Well, there's a front kinda hangin' around, bisecting the state, so our temps are pretty diverse from where I am (the little star at the top) to the south, wherever your grandmother is...The south tends to stay warm for most of the winter, from say Melbourne/Ft. Lauderdale down. We, OTOH, here in Lake City, are hopin' for maybe a nice dusting or an inch or two of snow this year. It's happened before, quite a few times. Fingers crossed! I haven't seen snow in...17 years. Damn.

=-Rigs-=

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2017, 21:10 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 19:23:
No problem, Rigs. Last year was a pretty big anomaly, the team has sucked since 1997. But, they've been my team since 1972... whatca' gonna do?

Oh, I know all about that particular pain, being a Giants fan. But like they say, you're only a true fan if you stick by them when they absolutely suck. I mean, the Giants have never really had a multi year dynasty like Dallas or the Patriots. They just kinda get really good for one year, go to the Super Bowl, usually win from behind or through some spectacular save at the very last minute and then they implode for another 5-7 years. So I'm right there with ya, my friend...

=-Rigs-=

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2017, 19:05 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 18:41:
*ugh* Apparently the Cowboys have fallen and can't get back up. For the first time in their history they just went 10 consecutive quarters without scoring a TD. Cry

Sorry, can't resist...

Proud Giants fan,
=-Rigs-=

55. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2017, 19:03 Rigs

* REMOVED *

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2018, 20:01.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2017, 16:07 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 14:21:
You know what we haven't had for a while?

A good old-fashioned Star Citizen thread!

Crikey, why not just yell 'Derek Smart' three times?! I'm convinced Redmask is Derek incognito...the ego, lack of empathy, attempt at seeming disinterested...checks all the boxes...

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving, ya'll! Rainy and coad down here in northern central FL...would rather have a half foot of snow... *nods enthusiastically*

Edit: and I just noticed my 'N' key isn't working that well...geez, I just stripped this thing down and cleaned it not four months ago! It's spotless. Well, either I live with it, tear it down again or grab my backup Dell keyboard...*thinks about it*...meh, screw it, I'll live with it...

=-Rigs-=

53. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2017, 13:59 Rigs

* REMOVED *

48. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2017, 00:17 Rigs

* REMOVED *

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2017, 13:59 Rigs

Happy Belated Birthday, Blue! Sorry I missed it yesterday! I even wrote it down last year so I wouldn't forget...somewhere. Better luck next year, I guess...

As for traveling on the roads, let me reiterate would Blue said - PLEASE, BE CAREFUL! I had to make a trip to Spring Hill, FL (about 45-mins north of Tampa) this morning, from Lake City, FL, (about 45-mins west of Jacksonville) on I-75 and there were no less than FOUR accidents that made my normal two hour journey (one way) into a four hour hell march. The first accident was an old white Ford 'pedo' Van (you know, no windows), smashed into the back of an 18-wheeler and ended up looking more like a twisted version of an accordion. If the driver survived, I have no clue how. The front dash and drivers seat were under the back wheels of the trailer. Not the way I'd want to go, personally.

Not half a mile further down the interstate, a tractor trailer had clipped another one while switching lanes, tearing off most of one of the tractors cabs, leaving just the dash, drivers seat and steering wheel. Basically a convertible. Another half mile down the road was the worst accident, one I didn't see until coming back home, as most of the truck (another 18 wheeler) had burned to ashes. Only the supports for the trailer itself were recognizable. I don't know if there were other vehicles involved. I didn't see any.

On the way home, yet another accident right before my exit, a mini-van had plowed into the back of another mini-van, leaving that van looking like the Hulk had gotten a punch or two into the rear door. It nearly reached the rear set of seats and there were several children sitting along the road while State Troopers scoped around.

Seriously, if you don't have to go out, don't. If you do, keep your head on a swivel, don't even think about doing it even after ONE drink and please don't do 120mph in a 55. Have a nice holiday!

=-Rigs-=

44. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2017, 13:39 Rigs

Hoop wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 05:30:
388.13 worked great for me.
Weird you say they didn't install correctly what OS are you on windows 7? Windows 10? 32 bit or 64 bit?
You weren't forcing 64 bit drivers on a 32 bit OS?
Why not get the 388.31 & clean install them.

Hmm, odd. No, Hoop, I know how to properly install proper drivers that are properly 64-bit, all proper-like...lol...I didn't notice there were newer 'new' drivers until after I'd installed these. They came out like an hour after I'd gone through the whole ordeal, which just made it worse. So instead of the possibility of repeating that whole PITA thing, I just left them installed and OMG, I wish I hadn't. Games stutter, Windows 'feels' sluggish, it's like someone pulled my 1050ti and threw in an old 8800GT... *pops case open and looks inside* ...yeah, still there. Whew! I haven't had any problems with this card or anything it installed since getting it and I've been more than happy with it. But these drivers, man...geez...I'll be putting the new 'new' drivers in this afternoon and we'll see how they work.

My system, btw: (copied from my STEAM profile)
BLACK OMEGA II (built January 2010 - Refitted May 2013 - Updated Summer 2017)
--------------------------------------------------------
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
INTEL Core i5-750 2.66ghz QuadCore (Overclocked to 4.02ghz)
(2gb original) 16gb DDR3 PC3-1600 (refit), 14gb (Updated, Final)
HIS AMD Radeon HD5770/1gb (original), XFX AMD Radeon HD7850/1gb GDDR5 (refit), EVGA nVidia Geforce 1050ti/4gb (July 2017)
INTEL X-25V 40gb SSD
Western Digital Caviar Black 2tb
Western Digital Caviar Black 2tb (refit)
(Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb original)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500gb (DEAD - 12/2016)
(LiteOn iHAS324Y 24x SATA DVD/RW original)
HP DVD-RAM GH60L DVD/RW (refit)
(Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi original)
Realtek Onboard HD-Audio
Antec EarthWatts EA-650 PSU
Logitech G510 Keyboard-G700 Gaming Mouse-G25 Racing Wheel/Stick/Pedals-Rumblepad2-X520 Speakers/Subwoofer
(Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW 22" LCD original)
DELL S2309W 24" LCD
Windows7SP1-Ultimate/x64

=-Rigs-=

33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2017, 04:08 Rigs

I'm just popping in here to espouse pure hate for the latest nVidia drivers. Is anyone else having a problem? Well, not the lastest 'latest' drivers, the '388.13' set. My god! What a horrid piece of trash...who the HELL programmed these things?!? Never in my life have I ever seen drivers crash on such a consistent basis. I can almost do it on demand now, whenever I watch any kind of video online, EXCEPT Youtube. Go figure. Any other site, my screen goes dark about 2 minutes in and then comes back with the 'The graphics driver has reset'. Fuck me.

Don't download the 388.13 drivers. Please. For the love of fucking humanity, don't do it. I hope to hell the updated drivers are programmed by humans, not by monkeys. If not, I'm goin' back. I should have known something was up when they wouldn't install correctly. I had to spend a half an hour in SAFE MODE just to pull the old ones completely out and put the new ones in. Some people say you should do that anyway and when I have time, I do. But I was kinda in a hurry. So much for that. I finally got them in and have been suffering with bullshit since. Grrrr....

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Launches
67. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 18, 2017, 01:02 Rigs

So can we just confirm that Cutter is really Putin trying to stir shit up and his lizard alien friends are mind tricking all of us to argue with each other, there by ensuring Trump's re-election...uh, somehow?

Good. Agreed.

Back to the game.

I signed up for the $5 EA Access thing so I could play the BF2 early trial they had...but it took five days to download it, so I didn't get to actually play any of it until tonight. I just have to say one positive thing about this game, if I can - it's fucking GORGEOUS! I never got around to playing the first and haven't played BF1 either (because shitty internet), so I haven't seen the new Frostbite engine. OMG! The first mission on Endor I spent about 20 minutes starring at the trees and the undergrowth and thinking how much I'd KILL for an open world SW RPG with this engine! Could you imagine?! Even if it was just a few planets, geez, it's jaw dropping! I think I died once or twice because I was paying more attention to the scenery. And on the flip side, the DS2 explosion was very cheesy. I mean, sound doesn't travel as fast as light, guys! (Well, then again, there's no sound in space, at all, so I guess the argument's moot) The remake of the Executor SSD plunging into the Death Star was pretty epic, though!

The graphics come at a price, at least on my aging rig (Core i5-750/2.8 oc'd to 4.02ghz, 14gb RAM (weird, I know), 1050ti/4gb). I could not enable v-sync without it having an epileptic seizure in the cutscenes. I'm guessing my hard drive isn't fast enough to stream the textures and keep up with every frame. During the cutscenes, the hard drive would spin like mad, trying desperately to keep in sync. I'd get some audio, the graphics would sputter and stop, the hard drive would whirl, then more audio and the graphics would go fast-forward to catch up. This isn't the video card because the frame rate is fine, very smooth. Almost like a microstutter...only not so micro.

Before getting into the story campaign, I tried out the 'Arcade' mode, which gave the option of 'Onslaught', which is a horde-mode-like, and 'Team Battle', online team deathmatch mode but with bots, basically. I chose 'Onslaught' and after waiting two minutes to load (honestly, my hard drive is pretty fragmented, so this probably isn't the games fault), I was dead in roughly 20 seconds, only to respawn, all the bots to find me in 2.3 seconds and kill me in another 7. Not very fun. Granted, this was my first time playing it and I didn't know the key layout well but I can't imagine this being very fun in the map I played, which was Mos Eisley. It's too cluttered and restrictive and you go 'out of bounds' easily when you're just trying to flank and maneuver.

This leads me to another major issue I had with the game - the AI. In the campaign, especially, the AI will just rush you most of the time. Sometimes they'll dodge and hide, but the majority will just run right at you, trying to get as close as possible. This made it extremely easy sometimes to head shot the lot of 'em. Other times, I'd be fighting a couple of AI in a decent, ranged battle, only to find myself getting shot from behind by an AI standing like two feet from me. WTF?! This happens quite a bit, actually. I'll be enjoying the normal ranged fight and then have two or three bumblefucks just run up to me and shoot. Or try to, if I didn't clip them ahead of time. A side issue is the sponge syndrome. You'll get AI heavies that can soak up a LOT of firepower and then dish it out. I died several times from this and it's hard to distinguish who's who with all the clutter and chaos. So I'd think I'm just taking out a normal AI when it takes three, four, five near headshots to bring them down.

The space sections are nice and they look OH SO good but XWing or Tie Fighter this ain't! You can enable an 'advanced flying' option that lets you twist and dive and loop but, again, you can find yourself out of bounds quickly. I haven't had but maybe five minutes total in space, so I'll reserve judgment for now.

As for the whole loot crate craze, the buy options were/are disabled as of right now, so the only way is to earn them in-game, which is fine. I won't say I don't understand the issue, I do, it just doesn't bother me, personally. It doesn't mean it isn't a shitty thing, I just don't personally have an issue with it. You're given a crate daily to open for free and I had one when I started. It gave me 500 credits, some crafting parts (whatever the hell those are for) and an upgrade to Darth Maul's Scitimar. Um, ok. Thanks...I think. *shrugs*

I'll have to play some more to give my opinion on the story. It's serviceable so far, nothing mind blowing. I just can't get over how beautiful this engine is, though. And I can't keep wondering how good it would look in a hard core SW open world RPG...damn...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 16, 2017, 23:09 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 15:04:
Mr. Anisotonic wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 13:42:
Nobody gives half a flying fuck about Canada though. It could literally disappear from the map tomorrow morning and nobody would notice for a while. At some point, retards would start wondering what kind of socks Troudeau is wearing today, I guess, then word would get around that Canada is missing.

Yet you care enough to troll. Jealous that the world loves him and hates you? Awww, let me order the world's tiniest violin online to play it for you.

On the 'Cutter Scale of Assholery', I give that 6 'eh's' out of 10. Come on, Cutter, you're slippin!

=-Rigs-=

3091 Comments. 155 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo