Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI fanboi - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - Custom PC builder (25 years)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2239 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > On Fallout 4's Graphics
23. Re: On Fallout 4's Graphics Nov 4, 2015, 22:23 Rigs

NetHead wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 22:06:
Creston wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 20:51:
Razumen wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 20:18:
They've had years...and no excuses.

Sure they do. It'd be years in which they their programmers do nothing but create an entire new mod framework. That's years where they're not doing other stuff.

Of course, not to mention that their monstrous mod community would then have to learn a completely new engine.

And for what? So that the five "OMG TEH GRAPHICS AREWNT THE BESTESTTT!!!" people would buy it?

I fail to see the point. Their fans will still buy it and enjoy it, despite the fact that the graphics aren't as cool as the Witcher 3. :-shrug-:

Some just completely underestimate how costly and complex and time consuming it would be to change to a new engine in such a situation for, what benefits.

I don't even know why some think "whole new engine" would suddenly result in amazing new levels of graphics while retaining all the features. I'm willing to bet none who do think that in this situation have any programming experience worth mentioning, or possibly even an appropriate aptitude for or understanding of such things.

Their logic is the equivalent of thinking someone should simply install a V10 into a V6 car for more performance while keeping efficiency where it was with magic crystals.

But a lot of you are missing the possibility that they might just be building a new engine right now and just aren't ready to make it primetime yet. None of us knows what the next Elder Scrolls game will be (the sequel to Skyrim, I mean, I don't consider ESO to be a sequel) and a new engine might be the highlight of a new ES game, to be announced next year or the year after. They must have a long-term plan, they aren't stupid. They've got to know that this engine isn't going to take them very much further. I have no doubt that they have a next-gen engine in development, but which 'next gen' that means is really a mystery. Might not be until after Xbone and PS4, who knows. The fact is we don't but common sense says they're taking care of it. Just pray Bethesda has some common sense...

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace. You didn't want peace! We talked about cooperation. You didn't want cooperation! You want war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've got a war!'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: On Fallout 4's Graphics Nov 4, 2015, 22:18 Rigs

Slick wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 22:01:
Creston wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 20:51:
Razumen wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 20:18:
They've had years...and no excuses.

Sure they do. It'd be years in which they their programmers do nothing but create an entire new mod framework. That's years where they're not doing other stuff.

Of course, not to mention that their monstrous mod community would then have to learn a completely new engine.

And for what? So that the five "OMG TEH GRAPHICS AREWNT THE BESTESTTT!!!" people would buy it?

I fail to see the point. Their fans will still buy it and enjoy it, despite the fact that the graphics aren't as cool as the Witcher 3. :-shrug-:

quiet troll.

you fail to see the point of almost everything on this board, so it's no surprise.

talking like a multi-billion dollar studio can't manage a new engine when CDProjekt Red managed it JUST FINE.

you're giving (the most successful) lazy devs a free pass to continue being lazy.

it's amazing how much you bitch about everything devs do, but when it comes to actually making something good... "i just don't see the point"

gotcha.

troll.

HA! The pot calling the kettle black if I ever saw one! That's pretty rich calling Creston a troll coming from you! Don't throw stones, you'll be spending your weekend cleaning up glass...

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace. You didn't want peace! We talked about cooperation. You didn't want cooperation! You want war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've got a war!'

5. Re: On Fallout 4's Graphics Nov 4, 2015, 19:51 Rigs

Dynamic Dismemberment using Hardware Tessellation

Oooh, be still my beating heart!

*cocks gun* Really, I mean it.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Orsinium DLC Released
1. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Orsinium DLC Released Nov 3, 2015, 11:00 Rigs

The base-game patch includes long awaited features such as gamepad support for PC, subtitles, LFG system improvements, and more.

Subtitles...fucking SUBTITLES had to be patched in! Holy shit, from a company that's been developing games for DECADES...and they had to PATCH IN subtitles...

That blows my ever-loving-#!$^ mind!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Oct 24, 2015, 22:09 Rigs

harlock wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 17:33:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 02:06:
If I say "global warming" three times, will Axis appear?

does it matter that this year was the warmest ever recorded in history?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/22/weather/2015-record-summer-heat/

Planet Earth has definitely experienced its hottest summer since detailed records have been kept, and according to scientists, it might have been the hottest in more than 4,000 years.

I read somewhere the other day (which I can't seem to find again...figures) that if the super volcano in Yellowstone were to erupt in the next twenty years, the 'little ice age' that we might fall into after the nuclear winter-type conditions from the fallout might not happen because of the recent spike of warmer temperatures. In other words, we could be doing ourselves a favor without really knowing it by initiating this global climate change. Food for thought...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Falcon Collection on GOG.com
13. Re: Falcon Collection on GOG.com Oct 24, 2015, 21:56 Rigs

InBlack wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 04:34:
My 486DX2/66Mhz was a monster back then. Your puny SX based processors didn't stand a chance

After my IBM PS/1 486SX/25 had a dutiful life, it succumbed to what nearly every computer does in FL, lightning. After three years, it was hit by lightning one night and the hard drive failed. I cried like a little bitch for days. My parents saw how distraught I was and had a local computer guy build me my dream, a 486DX2/66 with 8mb of RAM (and another freakin' 1mb S3 801/805 videocard...it was like an illness I couldn't get rid of! I had wanted an ATI 'WinFast' 'accelerated' card (not what it means nowadays, just helped with 2D Windows) but alas, it was not to be. Still, anything could have been better than that stupid S3 card, even a Tseng or *shudder* Trident). Indycar Racing ran like I'd never seen it run before and I was hooked...hell I swallowed the fucking hook! A week and $6000 later (had I waited six months and had $1000 more, I could've gotten my hands on a Pentium75 or even a P90), I was back in business...playing Master of Orion and Machavelli: Merchant Prince and discovering the world of .mod music files with my ProAudioSpectrum 16...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2015, 22:01.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Oct 23, 2015, 21:45 Rigs

To be fair, the NHC saw this coming almost two days before it happened. This is a link to an article that shows the distinct similarities between Hurricane Patricia and Super Typhoon Haiyan (the one that smashed into the Philippines two years ago and then tried to take the island country with it when it moved on). There are quite a few, including looks. Two days ago, the NHC noticed something about Hurricane Patricia before it explosively intensified:
An earlier37 GHz GPM image showed a cyan ring around the eye, which often presages rapid intensification. Given that, and the currentlyfavorable atmospheric and oceanic conditions, rapid strengthening (30 kt over 24 h) is forecast through tonight followed by a slower pace of intensification up to landfall.
Since then the cyclone has been traveling over waters that exceed 30C SST! Some of the eye-wall convective cloud tops reached -90C! The pressure dropped to 880 millibars from 980 in 24 hours. This hurricane breaks several records that have been held a long time. Luckily, the truly devastating 200+ mph winds are only in an area of about five miles, so really, this could be seen as an unusually large tornado! Anything in that five mile area and slightly to the east of the eye during landfall, however, will most likely be wiped off the map...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Falcon Collection on GOG.com
5. Re: Falcon Collection on GOG.com Oct 23, 2015, 21:16 Rigs

Aero wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 19:07:
A year or two later everything used protected mode extenders and you didn't have to worry about memory anymore, and Falcon 3.0 was definitely the white wale of boot disk fiddling.

I'll agree Falcon3.0 was pretty hard when it came to configuring it for DOS, but out of all the '92-'95 DOS games that came out, none ever gave as much trouble as F-15 Strike Eagle III! And we're talking World Circuit, Wing Commander (and all it's derivatives and sequels), X-Wing (same), Indycar and Nascar Racing, Aces of the Pacific, Task Force 1942, Harpoon2, Jetfighter 2 (lots of sequels back then!), LHX, Seal Team and of course, Wolf3D, Doom and Quake. This is a favorite memory of mine since it was the first time since getting a 'modern' computer (for Xmas '92, I'd previously had a Tandy CoCo3) that I'd really been able to figure out configuring memory correctly to run any game with enough, either via boot disks (which I hated with a passion) or just running my system lean and mean. F15SE3 was a monster of a game, it also had a manual that would qualify as a textbook, and it was just as 'engaging' to casually read. IOW, it was pretty dry. Anyway, I was damned determined to get this thing running the way it should. I had the system to run it...an IBM PS/1 486SX/25 (mhz, for you young ones out there, not ghz), 4mb of RAM (yes, again, for the young ones, that's MEGS, not gigs), the notorious S3 801/805 videocard (trust me, this thing has a history all it's own) with 1mb on board, a self-installed SoundBlaster16 and single-speed cd-rom, also aftermarket (the original PS/1's didn't come with a cd-rom but they did go up to 66mhz, if you had the cash). Still, a 486 meant a lot back then and 25mhz was no slouch. The 4mb of RAM was standard in the day and more than adequate. But even with all of that, I had a huge problem getting everything crammed into memory with enough left for the game.

Starting on a Friday afternoon after getting home from school, I figured I'd be playing all weekend, surely by the next day at least. Oh, how naive I was. First tries were soul-crushing. Either I had sound but no cd-rom or a mouse but no sound. Other times it wouldn't run at all for lack of memory. The good thing about DOS though is that it reboots in seconds. So any change I made was quick to test. By the end of Saturday I'd gotten no closer to my goal that when I had started.

Bright early Sunday morning, I was adamant that I would be playing by the afternoon (dammit!). My friends up the street were constantly pestering me to come outside but April in New Jersey tends to be pretty fucking dreary so I wasn't enthused about the idea. Surely they could understand my struggle? When I told them what I was attempting, all but one called me a 'NERD!' and ran off. The one that didn't stayed and watched silently as I tried different combinations of settings in my autoexec.bat and config.sys. (I'm going to have them printed, with this winning memory configuration, on my tombstone!). Nothing was really working. I could play the game at times, but in silence or without a mouse, so I know it worked, just not optimally. After another ten minutes, he just shrugged and was about to leave, rather unimpressed with the whole thing. Maybe it was because of the massive amount of printouts all over the floor of different memory setting combinations? Or maybe that it was nearly 4 in the afternoon and I was still in pajamas and hadn't combed my hair? I wasn't sure, but when I asked him if he had any ideas, he mentioned something that floored me.

'Well, you could probably get it all to work if you didn't load in the cd-rom, since the game is installed on the hard drive from floppies, right?'

I just kinda stared at him. How could I have missed that?! I'd been so wrapped up in getting it to work with everything I had in the system that I'd overlooked the simplest of fucking things...the game wasn't on cd! I didn't NEED to run my cd-rom! I didn't know whether to hug him or punch him for not telling me sooner. He said he had noticed it almost right away but didn't say anything because he thought I either already knew or needed the cd-rom for some other reason.

It was now 5:30pm on a Sunday evening, tomorrow was school, I had homework to do that I'd put off all weekend thinking I'd have plenty of time to do it. My friend just quietly disappeared as I got lost in redoing my settings one more time, configuring everything so that it loaded as much as possible HIGH and then also gave me room for my sound and my mouse. Thank the Gods that I didn't have to worry about EMS (expanded) memory, which would have been a whole 'nother ballgame entirely! And sure enough, at 6:00pm on that Sunday night, F-15 Strike Eagle 3 ran with full sound and a usable mouse cursor!

I played around in the menu's for a little bit and loaded one mission just to make sure it worked all the way through and then promptly turned it off after realizing that it would take another weekend or two to learn just what the hell I was actually doing...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2015, 21:26.

News Comments > Broforce Released
5. Re: Broforce Released Oct 16, 2015, 15:58 Rigs

This game is so awesome! It's what Metal Slug in the modern era would be had it not been made yet. I can spend so many hours on this thing it's not even funny. They have an 'Expendables' tie-in version on STEAM for free if you're curious. Same mechanics and everything. And it's rather long too! You're missing out if you don't play this!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Gauntlet Support Ending; Pre-order Bonuses Freed
5. Re: Gauntlet Support Ending; Pre-order Bonuses Freed Oct 11, 2015, 00:35 Rigs

Osc8r wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 22:19:
Shallow, short, lacked soul.

It's the Derek Smart of video games! ~ZING! Rifle

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 11, 2015, 00:32 Rigs

Dacron wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 21:13:
Fantaz wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 18:58:
he's smarter than u

Not possible. My mom says I'm the smartest and most handsome guy on the planet.

I got ya both beat! You may be smart and handsome, but my Mom says I'm special ! I even went to special education classes! How's that for elite?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Ubisoft Teasing Something; Maybe Far Cry Primal?
7. Re: Ubisoft Teasing Something; Maybe Far Cry Primal? Oct 5, 2015, 21:10 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 21:03:
Can these assholes not do anything original? Just rehash the same shit over and over? Worse still, on an annual basis. Exact same game reskinned. Yawn.

Could be worse, you know. Could be Call of Duty: Advanced Modern Black Warfare Ops 4: Zombies on Parade. At least they change it around a bit. It'll probably be the typical 'Ubisoft Game', with the towers (monoliths) and the strongholds (caves where the Morlocks reside, waiting to feast on the Eloi).

Personally, I wish they'd do a full version of FC3: Blood Dragon. How fucking EPIC would that shit be?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 5, 2015, 18:02 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 16:09:
*snipped for sanity*

Oh, fuck off, Cutter....you have no idea who I am or what I stand for, and per-usual, you're totally, absolutely, and completely wrong. It was an analogy, not a political statement. It had no other meaning or purpose other than that. Everything isn't a fucking cipher that needs to be decoded and understood for a deeper, philosophical meaning. A duck is sometimes just a duck and a conceited, ignorant, stubborn and arrogant jerk is sometimes still just...a jerk. You want nutjob, look in the mirror, you elitist prick.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2015, 18:35.

News Comments > NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming
42. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Oct 5, 2015, 11:03 Rigs

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 3, 2015, 23:33:
Rigs wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 13:27:
...I don't have enough time in the day to keep track of their mobile line or SSD performance or whatever it was Lansbury and Tacosalad were talking about...

That's an interesting sobriquet you've chosen for me, Rigs. I'm not entirely sure what I, personally, have done to earn it but thank you.

A very good friend of mine's nickname is actually Tacosalad, so I guess you might call it a term of endearment?

You should make the time because SoCs are going to be the mainline source of income for any chip manufacturer in the very near future. For some companies, that is already a fact. Without that mainline source of income for a chip manufacturer, niche products like video cards are going to be less and less important until they disappear entirely.

I'll give you an example. Intel, the largest hardware technology company ever, is focusing more and more on SoCs. They've flat out stopped making motherboards that aren't server or workstation class boards, and even then those boards are in limited designs and quantity. They are focused, in the consumer space, on the NUC design because it allows them to showcase their SoC/embedded/micro design and manufacturing capabilities. They've even taken it in to the enterprise sector with the Xeon D, which you can read about here. That's all on 14nm, by the way. What's AMD down to now? 28nm?

Iris Pro has always been targeted at the embedded/SoC/AIO/micro markets with the small benefit of being able to integrate it in to consumer oriented products as/if needed. Is it going to be performance gaming oriented? Hell no, but then most of the world's users aren't performance gaming oriented. They want to be able to play low stress games like Candy Crush, Minecraft, and other titles like it. Iris Pro will do that easily and in a tablet form or laptop form or even a cell form and it will do it with some pretty low power consumption? What does AMD have to counter that? All I hear is crickets.

Even if you wanted to narrowly compare AMD's ATi offerings against Nvidia's offerings, AMD is getting their ass handed to them there as well. Nvidia is refining and boosting their Tegra line (as I mentioned upthread with their X1) which is going in to Google's latest line of tablets. "But I don't buy Google tablets because..." doesn't matter. Other people do or other second tier manufacturers use them as reference designs for their own products if they aren't already going with Intel's solutions. The Surface Pro line is arguably the most powerful tablet cum laptop design in the world right now and it uses Intel's solution. If you buy a non-Pro, you're getting an Nvidia solution with the Tegra line. What does AMD have to compete with the entire tablet market? Nothing.

"B..b..but VIDEO CARDS!" OK, let's take a look at them. Hereis a comparison between a R390 and a 970. The R390 looks pretty good, right? But the 970 isn't the top of the line for Nvidia is it? Nope, that'd be the 980Ti. So let's bump the Radeon down to an equivalent class. That would be the 380. Here is that comparison. Uh oh, looks like the 970 destroys the R380 in absolute performance. Ouch.

Let's do top of the line. 390X versue 980GTX Ti. Well, here are those results. Pretty decent but AMD knew what the 980 series was going to be capable of because they had nearly a year since the launch of the 980GTX (non Ti) versus when they released the 390X. Again, ouch. The R390 is comparative to a one year old card and they released it this year.

I appreciate that you've explained all of that to me. I've had so much going on in the last two months that I have not had but a few minutes here and there to keep current on things related to gaming and computing. I would like nothing more than to sit down for an hour or two and go over it bit by bit but I just don't have the time. But that doesn't mean I'm not interested.

You've admitted that you're a fan boy and that's OK. I'm a Raiders fan and have been for years. However good the Raiders might look this year, it doesn't prevent me from honestly admitting that the Raiders have sucked for a very, very long time. I'm honestly not trying to antagonize you but you come off as pretty shrill and militant in your support of AMD. It makes you come off as a frothing, glazed eyed hype monkey. I've seen many of your posts over the years and, normally, you come across as a fairly rational person but in this thread...not so much.

I realize tone is a very hard thing to project in online communication, however I assure you that I was not frothing at the mouth, nor was I stamping my feet like a mad little boy. I will apologize though, as I broke one of my cardinal rules when commenting here at Blues. I don't post unless I have the time to fully explain my reasons (and any replies afterward) and I don't post if I don't know what I'm talking about. My other rule is that I don't post when I'm angry, tired, drunk, or hyper. As a writer, I tend to suffer from 'writers block' on occasion, however for the last few months I've been having a really hard time transferring my thoughts to words. Even when I'm talking this has become a serious problem, the words I want to say are there in my head but I just can't get them out. I know what I want to say, just I don't know how. And it's been getting worse. I should have kept my 'mouth' shut in this instance instead of going full-bore fanboy and putting 'MSW' on blast. I stepped into an argument I wasn't equipped to handle and I was more annoyed at my own inability to get out what I meant than what MSW was saying and that shows in my responses.

I think for now, I'm just going to silently lurk and read until I have the ability to adequately and respectfully discuss something. Again, I appreciate you breaking down the details, I wish sites would do that more often for those of us that don't have hours to devote to comparing stats and benchmarks...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 5, 2015, 10:36 Rigs

We call it a data plan just like wireless companies have data plans."

No, refusing to call a duck a duck doesn't all of a sudden make that duck....not a duck. Giving an unpopular term a friendly name doesn't make it different either. That's like calling abortion 'a positive process for selective human development'. It's still abortion. It's still killing a living human being for whatever reason. Because you can't make peace with that fact and call it something else might possibly tell you that just maybe you shouldn't be doing it at all. Yeah, that's called morals. And intuition. And fucking common sense.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Master of Orion Gameplay Trailer
2. Re: Master of Orion Gameplay Trailer Oct 2, 2015, 20:22 Rigs

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 19:52:
Aside that.. WORF? I swear I heard Worf...

That was definitely Michael Dorn (Worf). I'd know that voice anywhere and it does sound a little bit aged, which is to be expected since it's been nearly 30 years since TNG premiered on tv... (OMG!)

Fun Fact: It's now been longer between the premier of TNG (1987) and now (2015 - 28 years) than it was between the original series (1966) and 'The Next Generation' (1987 - 21 years)...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Microsoft Acquires Havoc
5. Re: Microsoft Acquires Havoc Oct 2, 2015, 20:11 Rigs

NetHead wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 19:32:
Really wish the big publishers/developers would all get behind an open source physics engine, maybe Bullet or whatever, and all contribute to it so they could all in turn use and benefit from it along with gaming on the whole, which in turn would again benefit them.

Rotfl

Awww, that's just so cute! My, I remember when I was that naive young....

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming
39. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Oct 2, 2015, 13:27 Rigs

Verno wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 09:48:
I don't find this to be true and I own current gen consoles. Many games struggle to meet stable framerates and almost all of them make sacrifices in detail toggles. The GPU in the consoles is 2 generations old already and frankly wasn't that impressive to begin with. It's just a testament to optimization and lower level access to the hardware that devs get the results they do. The A6s are pieces of crap. Last time I used one it couldn't even manage a stable 30fps at 720p with low details in Alien: Isolation. They're fine for playing little indie games but 1080p AAA nope and Anandtech agrees.

While the A6 isn't top of the line (it was never meant to be in the first place), I've given it a very thorough workout over the last two years or so that I've had it and I can promise you that if your system is configured correctly, you're not trying to stream 1080p video or have 50 tabs open in Chrome in the background or anything stressful like that, it will play most games out there at playable frame rates. Of course you're not going to get 1080p and full detail. I already admitted to this. I'm not stupid nor am I clueless, contrary to apparent popular opinion. I know the what the hell I'm talking about. Obviously an A6 isn't going to win any awards and when I referenced the A6, I was talking more about the HD6350 inside, not the cpu side of the APU. But it's not a slouch if you know how to use it right and don't mind knocking the sliders back a little...or playing a little under 1080p, which, my LCD being 1680x1050, is no issue. Again, I've admitted all of this, so why does it keep coming back as a point of debate in this argument/discussion?

The Xbox One has 32MB of ESRAM by the way, not 512MB. It's essentially a cache that is theoretically faster but requires more grunt work from devs. It also has a slightly weaker GPU than the PS4. I'm not even sure why people are talking about consoles when discussing videocards. Supplying those has more to do with contractual negotiation than anything else, it has no bearing on who has better parts. Intel, Nvidia and AMD have all previously supplied consoles.

You're absolutely correct, the Xbone has 32mb of ESRAM (hey, I got the ESRAM part right, though!). I'm not sure where I got the 512mb from, maybe just fatigue from arguing all day...

AMD gutted its driver division and only seems to send out WHQL releases once a year at this stage. I don't mind installing betas but even those seem to take too long vs Nvidia. Their latest cards run hot as hell and eat power. The only saving grace is some clever cooling designs from third parties. I have no real confidence in buying them right now, to me the only reason to bother is price. The only compelling card in their lineup is the R9 Nano for people doing living room builds. What they have going for them is price but if they keep channel dumping they're just going to confuse the market.

My only contention here is the driver release times. They released 12 drivers last year, as the last one was 14.12 and I'm sure you're aware that it goes YEAR/MONTH. So I'm not sure where you're getting this one WHQL driver a year thing from? I'm not saying they always release a driver every month, they don't, but they try to get them out as soon as possible. They've had four or five driver releases this year already and not all of them were betas, though the majority were. Still, the latest was 15.9 which just got a hotfix and while that's not WHQL-certified, the July 15.7 release is. Personally, I don't see the big deal with it being certified or not, they work just the same.

I want a better AMD so that Nvidia is forced to compete but they're not investing a lot back into the business and don't seem to have a plan for the future. I wouldn't be shocked if they're gone within a few years at this rate.

To be bluntly honest, while I say I'm an AMD fanboy, it's really just the ATI-side (if you can call it that, or the video card side, let's say) that I'm partial to. If AMD's cpu business goes tits up, so be it. Aside from some notable cpus in the past such as the Thunderbirds, Durons, Semprons and Athlons, they've never really been a contender against Intel and I don't think they're really giving them much competition, which is probably why you still see the latest Core i7's come out at a $999 price point. I don't pretend to know the specifics, I don't have enough time in the day to keep track of their mobile line or SSD performance or whatever it was Lansbury and Tacosalad were talking about. That doesn't make my take on things any less valid and I'm sure if I had the time to staple my eyelids open and do some research, I could certainly jump into the deep end of that discussion. But I'm not going to embarrass myself by arguing about something I know nothing about. If AMD wasn't to spin the videocard side (the ATI-side, so to speak) off before they went under then that would definitely be a sad day for PC gaming...much like it was when 3dfx went under and was gobbled up by nVidia...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2015, 16:34.

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
64. Re: Cloud Imperium Games employee Reviews Oct 2, 2015, 00:34 Rigs

Vall Forran wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 00:26:
More clickbait. WTG Blue.

Bugger off then!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
61. Re: Cloud Imperium Games employee Reviews Oct 2, 2015, 00:19 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 23:41:
These may be some CIG employee comments on glassdoor.au
from this reddit thread Escapist "Anonymous" Sources Uncovered

Forbes has picked up on the 'Ruin Train(wreck)' too...

http://onforb.es/1jAWB92

=-Rigs-=

2239 Comments. 112 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo