Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2761 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Call of Duty: WWII Announced
19. Re: Call of Duty: WWII Announced Apr 22, 2017, 10:05 Rigs

Sneakycamper wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 09:19:
Hey That is What TRUMPS RELECTION Campaign IS all About !!! Yes Folk We have him For 8 MORE YEARS !!! Goodness !!!

Dammit, almost made 20 posts without a mention of Trump or politics... Sigh

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
---------------------------------------
'The only way to win is not to play', huh?
Here, hold my beer...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Activision Classics on Steam
19. Re: Activision Classics on Steam Apr 21, 2017, 22:04 Rigs

Orogogus wrote on Apr 20, 2017, 18:16:
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I don't think MW2 got textures until the Titanium edition. But if you go on YouTube you can easily see videos showing it with untextured polygons and sprite explosions.

The old demo is the one with the Marauder and the Puma/Adder, right?

Yes, the first few versions of MW2 after release had untextured polys but the original was even more sparse and generally less...polished. (Maybe because it was still considered 'beta'? I dunno)

As for the demo, I'm not sure which Mechs were featured, I'll have to dig out the demo disk and try to image it and maybe get it running in Dosbox, if possible. I can't find anything on the Net about it, though I know there were ads in various mags at the time for the original design, so maybe I can dig up one of them. My 'Net connection is really shitty so bringing up something in Google Images takes forever. I'll find it eventually...

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 21, 2017, 16:54 Rigs

I dunno...I'm getting the feeling that BGR.com really doesn't like the new iPhone8 design...

- 'Itís official: Everyone hates the iPhone 8 design that just leaked'
- 'Someone rendered that leaked iPhone 8 design, and it looks even worse than we thought'
- 'These leaked iPhone 8 schematics are a travesty if theyíre real'

...nah...I'm probably just over analyzing it...

Also:
'The idea of having to fumble with your phone to hit a fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone thatís positioned more than halfway down the phone might actually be nauseating.'

Really? Nauseating? It makes you physically nauseous because you have to hit a button on your phone that's takes all of .02 seconds more than if it was in the front?! Fuck you, you entitled little twit! You know what's really nauseating? Reading that article, and the string of articles that all say the same. exact. fucking. thing. every. day! I just had my gallbladder removed two weeks ago and for a while I couldn't eat a damn thing without feeling like I was going to puke my sore guts up! After, whenever I eat something, I have to wait up to 30 mins to make sure I don't have to run to the bathroom for it to come shooting back out one end of me! And you sit there telling me that a button on the back of a fucking phone makes you nauseous?! Steamingmad

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2017, 17:16.

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Activision Classics on Steam
16. Re: Activision Classics on Steam Apr 20, 2017, 18:05 Rigs

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 20, 2017, 04:01:
SM0k3 wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 23:37:
Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 22:41:
SM0k3 wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 21:14:
damn i was about to go all in if steam finally got "interstate 76 nitro pack".

If there's any game that deserves a remake/remaster/update these days it's Interstate '76.

QFT! I spent countless hours in that game back in the day!

Yeah, man just the soundtrack for that game was pure awesome. I still have the CD somewhere. I hope.

The thing about I76 was that it was basically Mechwarrior Mercenaries, only with muscle cars.

Well, yeah, it has that new Mechwarrior smell because it was built on the Mechwarrior2 engine. It sorely needs a remake. The graphics are iconic but the engine is...creaky, especially nowadays. Good luck getting the textures to play nice, especially the sky. I've never had any luck with it, really. Even Interstate '82 had the same basic problems when trying to get it running right. It's a shame we couldn't have some kind of Win95/98 emulator. Dosbox is about unbeatable for games up to and including the early Win95-era but beyond that, from say 1997 on, we're still don't have any definitive app unless you feel like reinstalling Windows98 on a spare system. Most virtual machines don't support D3D very well, if at all. So that's out. Who would've thought we'd need a Win95-emulator twenty years later?

On a slightly off-topic note, I have a demo of Mechwarrior2's original design. (Not to mention a very early demo of Tie Fighter that still has most of X-Wing's assets and had a launcher touting the 'new' Dodge Neon! It's a two 3.5" disk set. I should try to get it imaged one of these days so it's not lost to history when the disks go, if they haven't already) See, Activision had a rough time with MW2's development and apparently it went through a re-write because the demo I have (on 3.5" disk, courtesy of the old 'PC Entertainment' magazine (that became 'PC Gamer'...yes that long ago!)) is nothing like what came out. Well, I mean game structure-wise. The engine is similar is some respects but there's NO textures whatsoever. All polys. (And sprite-based explosions) It's a strange thing to play and watch, knowing what it eventually became.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Prey Trailer
10. Re: Prey Trailer Apr 20, 2017, 03:02 Rigs

The way I see it is this...the reason people are so...meh...on this game is that it really hasn't been explained to us. Who's the protagonist? Who's the antagonist? Why? Why here? What makes this station so important? They've given us small tidbits but they're expecting us to find out everything within the game, which is fine for an established IP and series, but not really for a new one. Take a look at Alien: Isolation, which I've been getting major vibes from when I see anything to do with Prey. I kinda overdosed on A:O backstory and 'lore', especially about the setting itself. So when we get another space station being invaded by nasty ol' aliens, I'm just kinda like...huh. I don't think I'm alone in that feeling. And before A:O, we had Dead Space (especially 2), before that, System Shock 2 (though not technically on a station). So at this point a game about fighting bad guys on an abandoned space station is getting a little stale unless the devs come up with a good reason why we should care. Is this whole 'Mimic' thing a reason? I can't really tell, to be honest. I haven't seen enough of it. I don't know enough about the setting or the bad guys. With A:O, you know the setting, you know the alien. With Dead Space 2, you knew the bad guys, the space station, while pretty to look at, was really just background window dressing. Here, we know nothing. So after a Conga-line of similar titles, how can one be expected to be excited about another one without knowing why?

=-Rigs-=

*Note this post might be tad bit disjointed as I'm half asleep but I think I got my point across...maybe...

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month
29. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 19, 2017, 15:45 Rigs

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 16:57:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 06:23:
Well, at 600 hours of gameplay, you could rest assured not only would she be not wrapping her Camaro around a telephone pole, but also that she'd be not out getting pregnant. Win-win.

Some people want to have grand children sooner though.. Just gotta be willing to take care of the babies more.

Yeah, uh no, she's not having kids at 19...she's, thankfully, mostly concerned with college and working. I'm not keen at being a grandfather at 40. I was already a father at 18, we don't need to rush it. She's got a good head on her shoulders, she knows that her future is more important and that she has plenty of time to worry about those other things. My only wish is that a lot of her girl friends her age had the same attitude and outlook. Most of them are more concerned about finding a rich daddy for their future brood than worrying about how they're going to provide for it. (Most 'rich daddies' tend to take off at the first hint of any kind of commitment)

jdreyer wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 06:23:
Just don't let her see Skyrim Enhanced Edition before she plays this.

Surprisingly enough, for all her RPG-craziness, she despises Skyrim. She just can't stand it. Not sure why. She's not crazy about Fallout either. It could be she's more skewed to CRPG's like Kingdom Hearts (her fav) than straight, traditional RPG's. But then, I've seen her spend much time with Witcher3 soooo...beats the shit outta me...

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month
21. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 17, 2017, 22:57 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 18:31:
Blakemore has been working on his game since 1997 and actually ran its first beta test in 1998: If you'd had a baby the same day you played the beta, she would now be pestering you for the keys to the car.

My daughter was born in November of 1997, she's not only gotten her license and keys to her car, she's already rolled it and now working two jobs to get it fixed. Now that she's gotten beyond her 'wrap the Camaro around a telephone pole' right-of-passage without getting herself killed, she'll probably be interested in this game. She's a major RPG nut...

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap
42. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 17, 2017, 05:04 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 03:23:
6) Let's take a look under which administrations the economy thrives, thus providing govt revenue to prevent deficits: Oh, look, it's Democratic administrations. Funny that.

I take issue with this one point. I always felt (and still do) that most of the 90's thriving economy wasn't the result of Clinton's Presidency. I really don't think his actions did anything more than not screwing up whatever was happening to begin with. No, instead I think most of it had to do with Reagan's policies finally coming to fruition (I don't think Bush Sr. changed much in his four years to deter his predecessors influence) and the continuation of the technology boom that started in the early 80's, entering the Internet-age. These two things are what setup the 90's to be so 'incident-free'. I think Clinton took a lot of credit for what Reagan put into motion a decade before. And even with all this, he still couldn't keep the government from shutting down every few months!

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

36. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 16, 2017, 19:30 Rigs

Dacote wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 10:28:
Rigs wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 08:40:
WaltC wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 08:18:
Political fluff snipped
Even more political fluff snipped.

=-Rigs-=
Ugh

Really? You must be joking...or trolling...and given your past posts, I'm going with the latter...

Kxmode wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 16:40:
The feeling is mutual.

Indeed.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

29. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 16, 2017, 08:40 Rigs

WaltC wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 08:18:
Political fluff snipped

Ugh...I come here to get away from political crap like that. I could easily jump back onto Facebook for enough political merry-go-round to make me puke. The way I see it is that you aren't going to really ever get the corruption and utter bullshit going on in D.C. out unless you are actually within the system, say as a Senator. Even then, it's like whenever someone goes 'I'm gonna get elected and clean up the system!', they get elected and it's like on the first day, they have to submit to a brainwashing, they totally forget why they were there in the first place. Then they just continue to do whatever everyone else is doing. Maybe it's an alien conspiracy, I dunno. The U.S. government is practically 'too big to fail' at this point. No one person is ever going to change it completely. So complaining about it on the internet is about as useful as throwing eggs against a brick wall (and usually just as messy)...

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

13. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 15, 2017, 18:46 Rigs

Let's play a little thought exercise...

What if...what if everything he's saying...is true? What if they're building this unbelievable infrastructure that no other game has dared come close to? Obviously, since this hasn't been done before on this scale, it would take time to get all the pieces in place, especially when the design of this 'epic' game is still very much in flux.

Now, being a realist, I'd say that if this game was so revolutionary, media that wasn't so centric to gaming (like say Time, Newsweek, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, The New York Times) would be lauding the advancements in engineering ('just for a game!'). Game-centric media would be abuzz about it non-stop. I don't see this happening anywhere, except about it's overly-long dev time and it's 'massive' crowdfunding effort. There are hardly any articles about the system behind the game. This kinda throws a flag for me. However, I don't see many articles about the new Avatar sequels, other than that they exist and that there will be quite a few. So it's not necessarily bad. Still, it's something to keep in mind.

With the amount of money and apparent effort going into this piece of 'revolutionary' gaming engineering, the amount of buzz around it is considerably small. It's rather big (as in elephant big, in a small room) in our circles, yes, but outside that...not so much. I can easily say that everyone I know that doesn't game knows nothing about it nor that it exists. In fact, when I tell friends about it and that people spend thousands on just 'pictures and a dream', they look at me like I'm part of a really dangerous cult.

So, what does it mean? Damned if I know. At this point, I don't really know what to think. I'll just continue to sit on this fence post and watch...with my microwave and box of popcorn not far from reach.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks
9. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks Apr 12, 2017, 11:30 Rigs

See, this is what drives me nuts about gamers today...you guys have no clue what's in the game at this point, only that it has a story underpinning and covers all three trilogies...and has 'heroes', like the first. The game could literally have everything you're all complaining about wanting but you don't know. Yet we'll complain anyway. I'm guilty of it too but I think that for this industry to return to what it was back in it's heyday, we need some optimism and enthusiasm. I'm not saying to go out and pre-order but maybe be a little excited about things. I constantly (constantly) hear people wanting another Tie Fighter, including myself, and this could be a big step to that. It looks like it's going to have more focus on space combat.

I have the smallest bit of hope that EA heard all the complaints about the first and is going to change it. And for once, I'm going to go in excited to see what they'll give us this time instead of grumbling about it. Will I be disappointed? Probably. But fuck, I'm tired of being down and negative about this shit all the time. The mood is always 80% 'It's gonna fail - hard!' and 20% 'Well it might rock'. We need to change that.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2017, 11:05 Rigs

Gunnar's male, ja? No matter what, he's going to have the instinct to mark his territory. It's his home, he's lived there his whole life, so he marks it as such. Why the stove in particular? Until dogs learn to talk, we'll probably never know the exact answer. All I can say is that it sounds normal to me for him to want to do that, especially since he's 'man of the house' now, canine-wise. I would imagine that he occasionally lifts his leg to it even with the diaper on. We had a German Shepard that did the same with a diaper on. This is one of the big reasons why I only get females. Once fixed, they rarely exhibit a problem like this unless it's a medical issue that they can't help.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer Tease
14. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer Tease Mar 30, 2017, 04:16 Rigs

The absolutely only way they'll get me hyped is if they still have the Original Trilogy setting and a large single-player campaign. And not something lame, either. But, as has been normal for 'triple-A developers' (read in Jim Sterling's snarky voice), it'll most likely be screwed up, cut and 'diced' (badam tish!) for DLC and otherwise underwhelming and not worth the wait or the money. Why do I feel like someone messed with the timelines and we're living in the 'bad' line? Sigh

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Videogame Hall of Fame Finalists
24. Re: Videogame Hall of Fame Finalists Mar 29, 2017, 19:28 Rigs

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 29, 2017, 17:55:
In the realm of "thinking bigger", I believe that SF2 is still the correct pick before MK or any other fighting game. MK wasnt the worldwide success that SF2 was. And I honestly believe that if you were asked to name a fighting game randomly that Street Fighter 2 would be more common than MK. In the "social and cultural" department, it trumps MK as well. Just a couple weeks ago a female UFC fighter did Sagat's famous winning taunt from SF2 at her pre-fight meetup, along with wearing his eyepatch. SF2 is much bigger than MK ever was. MK had the shock/gore recognition when it came out, and had the better movie.. but that's about it.

Video of the UFC fighter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhrV8AZQp_g

Well, we're gonna have to agree to disagree because I think the exact, complete opposite. Maybe it comes down to personal experience. I've seen and heard more people mention MK than SF2. In fact, aside from a few friends (including one who played SF2TE obsessively every day in 1993), I've not heard anyone mention SF2 that hadn't actually played it. I'm not discounting your opinion, you're not wrong, this whole thing is based on opinion, really, but I just disagree, on my end.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

21. Re: Videogame Hall of Fame Finalists Mar 29, 2017, 17:23 Rigs

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 29, 2017, 17:19:
You can't honestly tell me that Street Fighter 2 didn't have much of an influence on gaming.. it's literally the cornerstone of every fighting game that came after it.

Yes, but Mortal Kombat trumps it in the 'social and cultural' department. Ask someone with little to no gaming experience to name a fighting game and it's going to be Mortal Kombat at least 7 out of 10 times*. Like I said earlier, think bigger. Am I on everyone's 'Ignore' list? Inquisitive

Blackhawk wrote on Mar 29, 2017, 17:25:
And even Dune II built off of concepts in other games that came before it.

Name one.

=-Rigs-=

* Statistics pulled straight out of my ass...ie my opinion

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

14. Re: Videogame Hall of Fame Finalists Mar 29, 2017, 14:32 Rigs

Yosemite Sam wrote on Mar 29, 2017, 13:35:
I don't think solitaire should be on the list at all. What exactly did it inspire other then millions of lost hours of work. Only reason it's so popular is it came with all the windows operating systems, it's just a card game.

Still, it happened. It was there. No other game was so popular (included with Windows). Yeah, it was the one that every bored office drone and grandma played, but there were others to choose from and the one you only ever heard about was Solitaire. So whether it was just a digital recreation of a simple card game, it doesn't matter. It's one of the only games you can talk about that anyone that's ever touched a Windows PC would know about and that got it into popular culture.

Where's Warcraft? it only launched the entire RTS genre. Simcity? there's no Sims without Simcity. Halo, Portal pffft, more worthy FPS games deserve those spots.

I'd venture to say that Dune would be a better choice as a founder of the genre. Before Dune, they were just 'strategy games'. As for 'more worthy FPS games', yes, there are others that are worthy of the title of best FPS or first, but not many can be said to have popular and social appeal. Nearly everyone knows Halo. It didn't start the FPS genre but it refined and redefined it, for better or worse, especially on consoles. Doom is already on the list and while Quake was better technical-wise, Doom is better known socially and that's more of what this list is about.

We've kinda got tunnel-vision because we deal with and know about games every day. We know the details. We know the history. The wider public does not. You have to remember that. You have to put aside your 'PC Master Race' ego and think about what your family and neighbors and co-workers would know and would think. Because that shows how far the industry and the games have come. Not just in our little ecosystem. Think bigger.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: On Sale Mar 27, 2017, 21:52 Rigs

Microsoft sued for millions over Windows 10 upgrades

I didn't see it listed so if it was, my apologies.

For once, I actually agree with Microsoft. Windows10 is a pain in the ass, ugly, resource-sucking, phone-homing, bitch of an operating system, but I can't see how installing it did anything these people claimed it did. This one in particular had me going, Wow

Three plaintiffs claim specific harm was caused by the operating system. Stephanie Watson claims that Windows 10 installed without her choosing to accept it. The upgrade destroyed some data, caused such harm that Geek Squad was unable to fully repair the machine, and forced the purchase of a new system.The suit claims that "many" consumers have had their hard drives fail because of the Windows 10 installation, and that the operating system does not check "whether or not the hard drive can withstand the stress of the Windows 10 installation."

C'mon! The 'stress' of an installation?! Something tells me this suit isn't gonna go far. I think they're just hoping the Microsoft Hate Brigade comes to their rescue, gives them lots of press and they get a nice settlement to go away. There's your 'New Age Capitalism'. If you can't earn it the hard way, sue someone who already has...

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: On Sale Mar 27, 2017, 21:51 Rigs

derp derpity derp derp  

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 27, 2017, 03:22 Rigs

Ok, we can stop piling up on the one guy that put his foot in his mouth. I'm sure he got the point. Geezus...

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

2761 Comments. 139 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo