Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. Currently, lurking and keeping my mouth shut.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2586 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2016, 17:11 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 14:15:
Frans wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 13:57:
nin wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 13:46:
One more note for the new year: There will be some scheduled maintenance on the server here tomorrow
Gasp! Anything exciting or new?
Just an OS upgrade, so don't hold your breath.
That's not funny. Hey, when you get done here will you go upgrade Steam's forums, they can be shit sometimes.
Happy New Year everyone.

Speaking of which, Frans, the 'underline' code DOES NOT WORK! I've tried to use it several times in posts and it won't work. Strikethu doesn't work either, I don't think.

As for forum upgrades, I wish we could get some kind of upvote or 'like' or something. Or maybe something that shows how many times it's been viewed? I dunno, some kind of data that shows how much interaction a post is getting. I mean, these boards are pretty unique on the Net right now, I don't know of another site that has any quite like these. (or ever did, really) But an upgrade would do them well with some 'modern' touches. And I'm STILL waiting for my gradients!

EDIT: Oh! Also, maybe some more time to EDIT a post before it says on the bottom that it's been edited? Or an option to not have the EDIT notification on the bottom of the post at all, if possible? Also maybe an option to disable the extra 'Post has been edited' step after editing a post (duh!). So we hit 'Edit' and it goes right back to the thread with our newly edited post. That would save some time.

Happy Happy New Year, ya'll!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 31, 2016, 19:48.

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 31, 2016, 16:51 Rigs

nin wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 16:07:
Wallshadows wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 15:17:
Triggers me almost as much as folks who say their game "lags" when the FPS drops and news outlets affixing "gate" to any every sort of scandal.

The one that makes me rage is "literally unplayable" for a 2-3 FPS drop. I seriously want to start throwing shit when I read that...

Sometimes I want to literally strangle kids (please don't take that out of context, because that sounds really bad...lol) when they don't get 30fps in a game and declare it unplayable. The sense of entitlement on these little shits nowadays is outrageous! I wish DOS wasn't dead and they had to configure IRQs and DMAs and tweak their autoexec.bats and config.sys'! Try squeezing the mouse, cd-rom AND sound card all in HIGH memory while having 610k of conventional memory free before you start bitching about frame rates children! - is what I would say if they had any fucking clue whatsoever as to what I was saying in the first place! Grrrr! And get THE FUCK off my lawn! I don't care if it's winter and it's brown! GTFO it anyway!

Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 16:45:
sounds like you people need to get laid, or have a beer, or smoke a joint.. something like that

My case is made before I even posted! I wish everything was that easy!

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2016, 19:45 Rigs

Dacron wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 17:01:
SlimRam wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 12:24:
We may be in for a long winter, his post count history is:

space captain 7699 posts before banned

space admiral 32 posts before banned

harlock 2999 posts before banned

rudra 290 posts before banned

That brings us to a average of 2,755. Yep, could be a looooooong winter

Wow. Must live a real interesting, busy life that he has to come back to a place where no one likes him and is constantly forced to leave against his wishes.

Does bring interesting imagery when you think of him though.

Take your pick, I'm sure he's in there somewhere...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Dec 29, 2016, 19:27 Rigs

So I stunned you all to silence, ja?

=-Rigs-=

8. Re: Into the Black Dec 29, 2016, 11:17 Rigs

Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 10:30:
Rigs wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 04:50:
I'm tellin' ya, man...I hate to be that guy on the corner with the sign that says 'The End is Nigh!' but... Whatever

=-Rigs-=

wondering why you are saying "the end is nigh"? what makes you think this is so... its not necessarily that I disagree (or agree, for that matter), Im just wondering what are the indications that give you this impression

I was being semi-sarcastic...I had mentioned a few days ago, after Carrie Fisher's death that maybe the Rapture wasn't exactly instantaneous as was supposed, maybe it takes time and maybe people don't just disappear, they pass away, but earlier than they otherwise would have (or maybe it's part of a bigger plan that was put in motion long ago, who knows?). I have some rather curious ideas as to life and death...

Like, for instance, when I was young I was given the typical Christian life and death story with Heaven and Hell and all that. Then as I got older I started to believe that we had more than one life, when you died, you came back as someone else with no memory of the previous life. As I've gotten older, I've kinda fine tuned that theory. Now, I believe that, yes, we live multiple lives, but not in succession. No, I think we re-live the same life in the same time frame over and over again until we've learned all there is to learn and make the correct decisions that in past lives where we've made mistakes. But not all of us are on the same line, so to speak. Some of us are older souls, further along in the process. This manifests itself as people who seem to have a very high intellect, almost like they know what to do before they do it. People like Elon Musk, Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, etc, other geniuses of their day that have slowly made their way through time going over the same time frame as many times as needed until they did all they could do with what they had and then were able to proceed to a time a little further ahead. People that are smart but not crazy, that have very agreeable (or at least tolerable) personalities. This is why there are some that have everything they need seemingly from birth, regardless of upbringing and social status.

I'm not saying the theory is perfect or even correct, but it would explain a great many things. Why some people just seem to have 'it'. An unquenchable drive, ambition far outstripping most others, knowledge and confidence about what they do as if they know what will happen, even if they don't really 'know' themselves.

To what end, though? I haven't a clue. I don't have all the answers, obviously. This is just the way I see things right now. It would be great if when we die we get to come back a couple decades later and try again. I've never really gave the YOLO thing any thought as it seems totally implausible. I mean, if you can only try once and then nothing, what's the point? Even if you bring world peace, you still don't get to enjoy it forever. If you win the lottery, you don't get to take it with you. So why even bother?

As for this being the end? Again, I have no clue. I will say that over the last couple decades, I've had the feeling, personally, as technology evolved, it felt to me like I somehow knew when it came to some milestone that that was the way it was supposed to be. Like that we went from 486's to Pentiums to CoreDuo's to Core i3/5/7's just doesn't surprise me, like it felt, when it happened, that it was always going to happen this way anyway and so I wasn't surprised. I didn't know where it was going (and still don't) but when it got there, it felt like I always knew it was going to be that way. Kinda hard to explain, I guess. And I don't feel like the world is about to end but then, who am I? I could be just fucking crazy!

=-Rigs-=

6. Re: Into the Black Dec 29, 2016, 04:50 Rigs

SlimRam wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 00:18:
Wallshadows wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 23:16:
Debbie Reynolds died earlier today too. That's gotta be one devastated family.

Jesus Christ.

MOTHERFUCKER! WHAT THE FUCK 2016!!! Really?! What the fuck is Billie going through right now??? She just lost her Mom and Grandma in the same fucking WEEK!

I'm starting to think that Rigs was right, maybe this is the goddamn rapture *grrrrrrrrrrr* Take ME motherfucker if you've got the BALLS but I PROMISE YOU ONE THING...when I get there someone is going to answer to me or I'll BURN THE FUCKING PLACE FROM THE SKY.

Oh yeah, and of course, FUCK YOU 2016...AGAIN...CONTINUOUSLY...UNTIL YOU DIE!

I'm tellin' ya, man...I hate to be that guy on the corner with the sign that says 'The End is Nigh!' but... Whatever

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 28, 2016, 20:43 Rigs

Dacote wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 16:26:
Rigs wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 16:05:

If you have to explain the joke (or discuss it's legitimacy), it's not worth it...

I never understood the reasoning behind overclocking to such a degree that the chip is basically trash afterward and you need liquid nitrogen to get it anywhere. -Rigs-=
because https://media.makeameme.org/created/My-epeen-Is.jpg

Giggle

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 28, 2016, 16:05 Rigs

Simon Says wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 15:21:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 15:16:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 13:33:
Favorite post from Incontentia Buttocks

"Hmmm...disabled HT, and 2 cores AND raise VCC to 2.0v.

"If we put a twin turbo on that 1.6l and throw a little NO2 into the mix she'll do 10 seconds in the quarter" Sadly the engine explodes after 5 seconds...."

Joke is, without HT and 2 cores, it's slower than before the OC

Not entirely true, its slower than the stock part in multi threaded scenarios, but much faster in single threaded ones.

If you have to explain the joke (or discuss it's legitimacy), it's not worth it...

I never understood the reasoning behind overclocking to such a degree that the chip is basically trash afterward and you need liquid nitrogen to get it anywhere. 'Course, I never understood the reason behind souping up a car or truck so it 'looks' fast. I always went with the underdog look. My '91 GMC S-15 (or rather my fathers, I was only 16, he did the work, I'm a mechanical idiot) looked like a regular GMC truck (well, with the exception of the front end, my father got a hold of some fiberglass and that was the end of the stock grill ) but with a new chip, dual exhaust and the shifter on the floor (and a nice sunroof), anyone that challenged me thinking I was stock easy prey was quickly proven wrong. I had COPS pull me over just to ask about what was in it! Those were the days...

Ahem! Anyway, as I was saying, if you can get the damn cpu to 7ghz and KEEP IT THERE on liquid or air cooling and be able to play games daily, then I'm impressed. This liquid nitro competition crap does absolutely nothing for me...

=-Rigs-=

18. Re: More sales Dec 27, 2016, 22:15 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 15:42:
The Half Elf wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 08:04:
PUT DOWN THE EGGNOG SIR AND STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD!

The Half Elf would know!

Giggle

=-Rigs-=

10. Re: Into the Black Dec 27, 2016, 22:12 Rigs

nin wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 21:12:
The Half Elf wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 20:58:
We have 5 days to go folks, stay at home, call loved ones, stock up on medical supplies/etc, cause lord only knows what can happen in 5 days.

Sir Paul is being placed in lockdown...

Speculation is that The Queen might not make it to 2017, she wasn't at the Christmas celebration (which she's never missed). Buckingham is saying she has a bad cold/flu, which , they didn't say, can be fatal to the elderly...smh...

=-Rigs-=

6. Re: Into the Black Dec 27, 2016, 20:33 Rigs

Author Richard Adams, whose book "Watership Down" became a classic of children's literature, has died.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Resident Evil 7 - Biohazard 7 Teaser- Beginning Hour Patch
1. Re: Resident Evil 7 - Biohazard 7 Teaser- Beginning Hour Patch Dec 27, 2016, 20:24 Rigs

Holy crap, what is it with games not supporting SSE 4.1-less cpu's?! NMS and GTA5 both had this problem, as did DIRT Rally. They were all patched quickly and I'm not one that has this problem (Core i5/750) but still, wtf devs?

=-Rigs-=

15. Re: More sales Dec 27, 2016, 01:26 Rigs

Quboid wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 00:36:
Rigs wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 22:50:
Hmmm, someone needs to explain this one to me...

I have The Crew, which I got through uPlay (don't judge me! ). I paid for it before it went F2P...or so I thought it went F2P. Fast Forward to yesterday and I get an e-mail from STEAM that one the games on my wishlist was on sale - The Crew! (I guess I forgot to take it off my wishlist after I bought it, since it wasn't through STEAM) They're charging $14.99 (normally $29.99) for a F2P game? WTF? Am I missing something here?!

=-Rigs-=

Looks like it was free for a month. It costs on Steam and Uplay now, but there's a 2 hour trial on Uplay.

Ah, well that makes some sense then. I wonder why I thought it was F2P? Whatever

Thanks, Quboid!

=-Rigs-=

13. Re: More sales Dec 27, 2016, 00:34 Rigs

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 00:10:
Check Uplay (it was free on Uplay) but not on Steam. But also Uplay and Steam don't cross each other (sadly). If I remember correctly, you buy a Ubisoft game on Steam you automatically get it on both, but there is some sort of association between Uplay and Steam account wise.

Yeah, but that doesn't really make sense to be charging it on STEAM and having it F2P on uPlay. Why would UbiSoft allow th...oh, wait - Ubisoft. Nevermind.

Also, I just found out that Rob Ford, the crack-smoking mayor of Toronto is dead! Why was I not informed of this?! And contrary to what you may think when you hear that title, he died of cancer (of everything, apparently).

=-Rigs-=

11. Re: More sales Dec 26, 2016, 22:50 Rigs

Hmmm, someone needs to explain this one to me...

I have The Crew, which I got through uPlay (don't judge me! ). I paid for it before it went F2P...or so I thought it went F2P. Fast Forward to yesterday and I get an e-mail from STEAM that one the games on my wishlist was on sale - The Crew! (I guess I forgot to take it off my wishlist after I bought it, since it wasn't through STEAM) They're charging $14.99 (normally $29.99) for a F2P game? WTF? Am I missing something here?!

=-Rigs-=

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2016, 16:42 Rigs

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 14:17:
Sad to see George Michael go The guy was truly an amazing singer and artist.

Man, Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool) is gonna be upset! Joking aside, his music in WHAM! was part of some of my first memories as a small child. My sister, who was 14 years older, was a major 80's party girl and I got to know all the cool new 80's songs really quick. I mean, you can't think 80's without having him in it, his work on WHAM! and some of his early solo music. Sad to see him go. I guess now she can go to his eternal dance party, if you believe that kind of thing.

Michael, who was born Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou in north London...

Uh, I guess I can see why he would want to change his name.

As for people dying in 2016...if it's this bad this year, I really hope it's not the start of a trend. I thought about it a few weeks ago that maybe this is the Rapture? No one ever said it would be instantaneous. Maybe it takes a while...who the fuck knows... Whatever

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 26, 2016, 16:51.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2016, 03:37 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 02:56:
bigspender wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 02:29:
El Pit wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 02:04:

The Alien: Covenant trailer is out, people! After the imo lame Prometheus, they made the trailer look like A: C will be an action movie. Like the first Alien movie but with the speed of Aliens. Not sure what to think about it, actually.

https://youtu.be/H0VW6sg50Pk

Thank's for the heads up! Was excited for this.....was..... not a fan of the camera work and visuals - feels very cheap and generic. I have a feeling if it wasn't for the brand this would go completely ignored.

From black goo, to black dust. IT'S BREAKING NEW GROUND!

Yeah, this doesn't look good. I'll wait for reviews before getting excited. I'm still bitter about Prometheus.

Nope. Don't have a good feeling with this one. I actually thought Prometheus was pretty good - for what it was. I know people had high hopes for it but think about it, has there been, in the last 20 years, a sequel to a triple-A movie or franchise that blew your mind and was head and shoulders above the original? I really don't think there's ever been a sequel that truly - truly lived up to it's hype, like ever. In fact, I don't think it's possible. There have been sequels that are good or that some people really liked. But to get a consensus about it, that everyone liked? None that I can think of. That includes Star Wars Episode 7. But then, it's too early, for me, to consider Ep. 7 to be a straight/direct continuation of the series. Just as I couldn't see the prequels being a part of it. Now that it's aged and grown on me, I can start to acknowledge the prequels' heritage. I know to some that's blasphemy but that's the way it feels to me.

As for this new Aliens movie, toward the end of the trailer, especially the 'shower' scene, I got the feeling they were going for the ol' 80's horror movie vibe. But that just doesn't work in 2016/2017. Just as the 'turn-your-brain-off' action flicks of the 80's don't work nowadays, movies like Commando, Rambo 2 and 3, Predator, Terminator, Delta Force...where it was one guy against an army. Old 80's horror movies where someone or something kills scores of stupid people just doesn't work now. But, it's just a trailer, maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT: Heh, I just remembered that 20 years ago on this day, at 4am, I spent early Christmas morning at a strip club. Had totally forgotten about that until just now. I went there with a friend because we'd been up all night and were bored...lol. I guess there's not many people that can say they spent their Christmas morning at a strip club...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 2016, 03:51.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2016, 00:39 Rigs

I actually had a reason for coming in here, Half Elf had me all flustered and 'wantin' to cut a bitch' (heard that one on tv this afternoon, like wtf? Feel like grandpa reading '50 Shades of Grey' out loud, HA! )

I pulled the trigger on DOOM this evening. It came down to a toss up between DOOM, GTA5, and Elite: Dangerous Season Pass. I still really want to get GTA5 at $30 but I probably won't have the extra spending money available in time before the sale runs out. I'm still gunning for E:D's Season Pass, I just need to get a nice HOTAS first...or at least some kind of stick. I was talking about trading games earlier on here, I have hardware I'd trade for a nice stick or HOTAS, a Sound Blaster X-FI, an older AMD HD5770/1gb, a Logi Wingman Formula Force wheel and pedals...I need to put this shit on eBay! That's probably what I'll do and I'll let you guys know when I do it, if any of you happen to be interested.

Now, to make room for DOOM on the ol' hard drive. Hmmm, I have two 2tb Western Digitals, both have less than 30gb free on them...lol! Then after making room, I get to wait a week for it to finish downloading! Yay for satellite internet!

Merry Christmas, ya'll!

=-Rigs-=

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2016, 00:28 Rigs

Damn, Half Elf! Post that on Youtube with monetization (ha, Google doesn't know how to spell that!) and a good title and you'll be able to make some nice coin for all your effort...Trust me, the kids these days eat drama like it's a fine steak!

There must be a thing with heart attacks and strokes this year for Christmas. I just got a call a little bit ago that my uncle (mother's brother) is in ICU after several possible 'small heart attacks' (whatever that means). They ran tests but didn't find anything seriously wrong other than he was having trouble breathing and tightness. They're gonna hold him until Monday, at least. Gonna seriously suck spending Christmas in the hospital. He's 76 and has had stints put in years ago, so this isn't shocking news. Nothing really shocks me anymore anyway.

2017 better fucking rock for all the absolute shit we've all been through this year! Seriously, fuck 2016!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin
63. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin Dec 24, 2016, 16:14 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Dec 24, 2016, 04:42:
Yeesh, guys. It's Christmas! Xmastree

Can't we just hold hands and sing Kumbaya? Handshake

I had no problem with Redmask until he told me to basically STFU because my posts exceed his fish-like attention span. In fact, except for Cutter, I have no problem with anyone here. I just give what I get. Simple as that. And it is the season for giving, ja?

=-Rigs-=

2586 Comments. 130 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo