Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 3016 (Veteran)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2017, 13:59 Rigs

Happy Belated Birthday, Blue! Sorry I missed it yesterday! I even wrote it down last year so I wouldn't forget...somewhere. Better luck next year, I guess...

As for traveling on the roads, let me reiterate would Blue said - PLEASE, BE CAREFUL! I had to make a trip to Spring Hill, FL (about 45-mins north of Tampa) this morning, from Lake City, FL, (about 45-mins west of Jacksonville) on I-75 and there were no less than FOUR accidents that made my normal two hour journey (one way) into a four hour hell march. The first accident was an old white Ford 'pedo' Van (you know, no windows), smashed into the back of an 18-wheeler and ended up looking more like a twisted version of an accordion. If the driver survived, I have no clue how. The front dash and drivers seat were under the back wheels of the trailer. Not the way I'd want to go, personally.

Not half a mile further down the interstate, a tractor trailer had clipped another one while switching lanes, tearing off most of one of the tractors cabs, leaving just the dash, drivers seat and steering wheel. Basically a convertible. Another half mile down the road was the worst accident, one I didn't see until coming back home, as most of the truck (another 18 wheeler) had burned to ashes. Only the supports for the trailer itself were recognizable. I don't know if there were other vehicles involved. I didn't see any.

On the way home, yet another accident right before my exit, a mini-van had plowed into the back of another mini-van, leaving that van looking like the Hulk had gotten a punch or two into the rear door. It nearly reached the rear set of seats and there were several children sitting along the road while State Troopers scoped around.

Seriously, if you don't have to go out, don't. If you do, keep your head on a swivel, don't even think about doing it even after ONE drink and please don't do 120mph in a 55. Have a nice holiday!

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2017, 13:39 Rigs

Hoop wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 05:30:
388.13 worked great for me.
Weird you say they didn't install correctly what OS are you on windows 7? Windows 10? 32 bit or 64 bit?
You weren't forcing 64 bit drivers on a 32 bit OS?
Why not get the 388.31 & clean install them.

Hmm, odd. No, Hoop, I know how to properly install proper drivers that are properly 64-bit, all proper-like...lol...I didn't notice there were newer 'new' drivers until after I'd installed these. They came out like an hour after I'd gone through the whole ordeal, which just made it worse. So instead of the possibility of repeating that whole PITA thing, I just left them installed and OMG, I wish I hadn't. Games stutter, Windows 'feels' sluggish, it's like someone pulled my 1050ti and threw in an old 8800GT... *pops case open and looks inside* ...yeah, still there. Whew! I haven't had any problems with this card or anything it installed since getting it and I've been more than happy with it. But these drivers, man...geez...I'll be putting the new 'new' drivers in this afternoon and we'll see how they work.

My system, btw: (copied from my STEAM profile)
BLACK OMEGA II (built January 2010 - Refitted May 2013 - Updated Summer 2017)
--------------------------------------------------------
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
INTEL Core i5-750 2.66ghz QuadCore (Overclocked to 4.02ghz)
(2gb original) 16gb DDR3 PC3-1600 (refit), 14gb (Updated, Final)
HIS AMD Radeon HD5770/1gb (original), XFX AMD Radeon HD7850/1gb GDDR5 (refit), EVGA nVidia Geforce 1050ti/4gb (July 2017)
INTEL X-25V 40gb SSD
Western Digital Caviar Black 2tb
Western Digital Caviar Black 2tb (refit)
(Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb original)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500gb (DEAD - 12/2016)
(LiteOn iHAS324Y 24x SATA DVD/RW original)
HP DVD-RAM GH60L DVD/RW (refit)
(Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi original)
Realtek Onboard HD-Audio
Antec EarthWatts EA-650 PSU
Logitech G510 Keyboard-G700 Gaming Mouse-G25 Racing Wheel/Stick/Pedals-Rumblepad2-X520 Speakers/Subwoofer
(Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW 22" LCD original)
DELL S2309W 24" LCD
Windows7SP1-Ultimate/x64

=-Rigs-=

33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2017, 04:08 Rigs

I'm just popping in here to espouse pure hate for the latest nVidia drivers. Is anyone else having a problem? Well, not the lastest 'latest' drivers, the '388.13' set. My god! What a horrid piece of trash...who the HELL programmed these things?!? Never in my life have I ever seen drivers crash on such a consistent basis. I can almost do it on demand now, whenever I watch any kind of video online, EXCEPT Youtube. Go figure. Any other site, my screen goes dark about 2 minutes in and then comes back with the 'The graphics driver has reset'. Fuck me.

Don't download the 388.13 drivers. Please. For the love of fucking humanity, don't do it. I hope to hell the updated drivers are programmed by humans, not by monkeys. If not, I'm goin' back. I should have known something was up when they wouldn't install correctly. I had to spend a half an hour in SAFE MODE just to pull the old ones completely out and put the new ones in. Some people say you should do that anyway and when I have time, I do. But I was kinda in a hurry. So much for that. I finally got them in and have been suffering with bullshit since. Grrrr....

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Launches
67. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 18, 2017, 01:02 Rigs

So can we just confirm that Cutter is really Putin trying to stir shit up and his lizard alien friends are mind tricking all of us to argue with each other, there by ensuring Trump's re-election...uh, somehow?

Good. Agreed.

Back to the game.

I signed up for the $5 EA Access thing so I could play the BF2 early trial they had...but it took five days to download it, so I didn't get to actually play any of it until tonight. I just have to say one positive thing about this game, if I can - it's fucking GORGEOUS! I never got around to playing the first and haven't played BF1 either (because shitty internet), so I haven't seen the new Frostbite engine. OMG! The first mission on Endor I spent about 20 minutes starring at the trees and the undergrowth and thinking how much I'd KILL for an open world SW RPG with this engine! Could you imagine?! Even if it was just a few planets, geez, it's jaw dropping! I think I died once or twice because I was paying more attention to the scenery. And on the flip side, the DS2 explosion was very cheesy. I mean, sound doesn't travel as fast as light, guys! (Well, then again, there's no sound in space, at all, so I guess the argument's moot) The remake of the Executor SSD plunging into the Death Star was pretty epic, though!

The graphics come at a price, at least on my aging rig (Core i5-750/2.8 oc'd to 4.02ghz, 14gb RAM (weird, I know), 1050ti/4gb). I could not enable v-sync without it having an epileptic seizure in the cutscenes. I'm guessing my hard drive isn't fast enough to stream the textures and keep up with every frame. During the cutscenes, the hard drive would spin like mad, trying desperately to keep in sync. I'd get some audio, the graphics would sputter and stop, the hard drive would whirl, then more audio and the graphics would go fast-forward to catch up. This isn't the video card because the frame rate is fine, very smooth. Almost like a microstutter...only not so micro.

Before getting into the story campaign, I tried out the 'Arcade' mode, which gave the option of 'Onslaught', which is a horde-mode-like, and 'Team Battle', online team deathmatch mode but with bots, basically. I chose 'Onslaught' and after waiting two minutes to load (honestly, my hard drive is pretty fragmented, so this probably isn't the games fault), I was dead in roughly 20 seconds, only to respawn, all the bots to find me in 2.3 seconds and kill me in another 7. Not very fun. Granted, this was my first time playing it and I didn't know the key layout well but I can't imagine this being very fun in the map I played, which was Mos Eisley. It's too cluttered and restrictive and you go 'out of bounds' easily when you're just trying to flank and maneuver.

This leads me to another major issue I had with the game - the AI. In the campaign, especially, the AI will just rush you most of the time. Sometimes they'll dodge and hide, but the majority will just run right at you, trying to get as close as possible. This made it extremely easy sometimes to head shot the lot of 'em. Other times, I'd be fighting a couple of AI in a decent, ranged battle, only to find myself getting shot from behind by an AI standing like two feet from me. WTF?! This happens quite a bit, actually. I'll be enjoying the normal ranged fight and then have two or three bumblefucks just run up to me and shoot. Or try to, if I didn't clip them ahead of time. A side issue is the sponge syndrome. You'll get AI heavies that can soak up a LOT of firepower and then dish it out. I died several times from this and it's hard to distinguish who's who with all the clutter and chaos. So I'd think I'm just taking out a normal AI when it takes three, four, five near headshots to bring them down.

The space sections are nice and they look OH SO good but XWing or Tie Fighter this ain't! You can enable an 'advanced flying' option that lets you twist and dive and loop but, again, you can find yourself out of bounds quickly. I haven't had but maybe five minutes total in space, so I'll reserve judgment for now.

As for the whole loot crate craze, the buy options were/are disabled as of right now, so the only way is to earn them in-game, which is fine. I won't say I don't understand the issue, I do, it just doesn't bother me, personally. It doesn't mean it isn't a shitty thing, I just don't personally have an issue with it. You're given a crate daily to open for free and I had one when I started. It gave me 500 credits, some crafting parts (whatever the hell those are for) and an upgrade to Darth Maul's Scitimar. Um, ok. Thanks...I think. *shrugs*

I'll have to play some more to give my opinion on the story. It's serviceable so far, nothing mind blowing. I just can't get over how beautiful this engine is, though. And I can't keep wondering how good it would look in a hard core SW open world RPG...damn...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 16, 2017, 23:09 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 15:04:
Mr. Anisotonic wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 13:42:
Nobody gives half a flying fuck about Canada though. It could literally disappear from the map tomorrow morning and nobody would notice for a while. At some point, retards would start wondering what kind of socks Troudeau is wearing today, I guess, then word would get around that Canada is missing.

Yet you care enough to troll. Jealous that the world loves him and hates you? Awww, let me order the world's tiniest violin online to play it for you.

On the 'Cutter Scale of Assholery', I give that 6 'eh's' out of 10. Come on, Cutter, you're slippin!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Train Simulator 2018 Rolls Out
1. Re: Train Simulator 2018 Rolls Out Nov 16, 2017, 22:57 Rigs

I wonder if you took all the FSX paid addons and put it all together, how much it would cost? I know this TS17-18 DLC thing looks absolutely, mind-blowingly, stupid but really, it's not any different to what Flight Simulator has been doing for decades. Nothing in the ol' rule book that says only Flight Simulator is allowed to do it, either. So, good on them! If there's a market for it, who are we to judge? (No, I'm not being sarcastic. I'm totally serious)

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana
19. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 15, 2017, 18:41 Rigs

Slick wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 18:13:
Pretty yes, but I concur with whoever said that they're looking for some gameplay innovation since FC3.

You forgot who I was in twelve posts?! C'mon, Slick, put some effort into it! It wasn't even on another page, FFS!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana
5. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 15, 2017, 02:06 Rigs

They always do this. I suppose it's marketing, so really I shouldn't complain but damn.

I really like the Far Cry series, with FC4 being my favorite and Blood Dragon coming in second with FC3 bringing up third, ironically. I wasn't crazy about FC2 for some reason. I hear people all the time say it was like the greatest thing and I just look at them with my head cocked sideways, like 'huh?'. I didn't get around to Primal but I don't think I missed much. I'm in for the story for the most part and from what I've seen and gathered, there isn't much of one in Primal and the mechanics are mostly FC4.5.

So back to FC5. I'm pumped, yes, but videos like these do nothing to get me into a frenzy. It's beautiful. Yes, Got it. Thanks. So was FC3 and FC4 at the time, too. But the gameplay looks ripped right from FC 3/4/Primal's playbook, go to the towers (or whatever it is that gives you free guns and an updated map), wipe out the outposts, collect the collectibles, do the little mini-games, hunt for tool upgrades. I mean, it's all here - again. And I love it, don't get me wrong...but if I wanted the same. exact. thing. again. but with a Montana paint job, I could mod FC4.

I don't want to sound like I'm whining. I'm really not. I was just hoping to see some genuine innovation in FC5. After three previous games, you'd think they'd want to do some things differently. Is it COD? Is that what's sucking all the innovation out of the industry? Because it sure seems like it. I'm truly worried about where the gaming industry is headed. Not in the next two or three years, in the next 10 - 15 - 20 years. Back in 1989/1990, a game like FC5 would have blown people's minds. But if it was the fourth in a series with nothing new to bring to the table, aside from eye-searing graphics upgrades, I wonder if everyone would be as blown away and excited. What would the editors of gaming mags like CGW be saying? They'd be worried. As such, I'm worried.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2017, 18:45.

News Comments > Road Rage Peels Out
3. Re: Road Rage Hell Nov 14, 2017, 23:02 Rigs

I'm assuming you're speaking about the Road Rash-inspired Road Redemption, yes? I've played some of it and it's pretty good. It does really have the 'Road Rash' feel, though there are several elements that are completely different that I'm sorta 50/50 about. It's more of a Road Rash rogue-like (god help me) because in the campaign, you keep playing rounds with various objectives (either to kill so many opponents or finish first), earning xp/points/whatever and when you finally die, you can use these points to apply permanent upgrades to your character, like health and boost/nitro, but you start over again. (Though the levels are randomized/procedural, something I didn't care for as I couldn't learn and memorize the track layout to try different strategies) You can also collect various weapons. And bikes unlock as you continue and earn more points/xp. As I said, I've only played around with it for about a half an hour or so but it was fun while I played. It supports gamepad or keyboard/mouse, I used my Dualshock3. I must be a little rusty on the ol' gamepad because I was dying quite a bit by blowing turns and crashing headlong into scenery at a very embarrassing rate.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Patches
4. Re: Evening Patches Nov 14, 2017, 17:36 Rigs

What bothered me was that they had such a problem with the first one and yet only did the bare minimum amount that was required for the second. I love(d) Visceral (RIP) but they always seemed to have trouble with this one thing and I could never understand why? Having a player mod the proper support in, I think, would be an insult to the developers. I mean, it's not like they didn't have the time. It's the point of it, not the actual implementation I'm gettin' at.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Road Rage Peels Out
1. Re: Road Rage Hell Nov 14, 2017, 17:31 Rigs

Ugh, having flashbacks to Road to Hell...I think all motorcycle brawler games will forever be tainted by that...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Nov 14, 2017, 04:53 Rigs

No, I'm not bitter, who's bitter? It only took someone five fucking years to finally fix what the devs never bothered to...not mad at all...

*kicks cat while walking to office and then slams door*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Nov 12, 2017, 15:26 Rigs

* REMOVED *

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2018, 20:05.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2017, 04:27 Rigs

You'll be very happy with the 1050ti. I replaced my HD7850/1gb with one, an eVGA 4gb variant. Paid a whole $181. Best upgrade I've gotten in a while. No problems whatsoever with it and it's quieter than my PSU. (Asus Earthwatts 650, almost nine years old and still kickin') I've been eyeing those 1070ti's but they are way overpriced right now. Probably will be for some time to come. Eventually, though, I'm gonna have to retire the ol' Gigabyte P55M-UD2 and Core i5-750/2.6. I'd say if they last until their 10th birthday, (two years from now) I'll be happy. *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell No Longer on German Index
3. Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell No Longer on German Index Nov 10, 2017, 15:16 Rigs

BPjM = Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young Persons?

Uh, nope, try again. Where's the 'F'?! There's no 'B' in that word...like at all! And where the hell did the lowercase 'j' come from?!? (maybe to sybolize 'junior' as in, 'under age'?)

I never understood German as a language. I think the French language is ugly clumsy and the German language is not far behind, unnecessarily complicated. (No offense to Germans or French, btw, just my personal opinion)

=-Rigs-=

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2017, 15:30 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 15:12:
BS, per usual

Oh. My. #$!^@&* GOD!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Ubisoft Denies Denuvo Slowing Assassin's Creed: Origins
5. removed Nov 1, 2017, 23:52 Rigs

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 2, 2017, 09:00.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2017, 15:42 Rigs

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 05:13:
It's not required in the slightest, but there are some inside references you may not completely understand. It is a standalone game, just as you didn't have to read the Witcher books before playing the first game, but you would understand more about the world had you done so.

Understood. Thank you, sir! I'll put it into my list of considerations!

=-Rigs-=

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2017, 15:39 Rigs

Acleacius wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 06:45:
Thanks for the reply. The patch was for a game, but the addon doesn't seem to release RAM. So if I was to download the patch again without closing the browser, it would have been holding 2 gig of RAM. It can be cleared with a restart but wasn't sure if someone else had heard or had a better fix.

So I basically missed the whole point and would have been better off keeping my mouth shut...gotchya!

I see what you're saying now. No, I haven't heard of a problem like that. Sorry. (Should have been my original response)

=-Rigs-=

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2017, 00:21 Rigs

Acleacius wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 21:37:
Has anyone else used Firefox plugin for Mega Download. I downloaded a 1 gig patch. It was the strangest thing, once completed Mega seemed to still be holding onto the RAM it used.

The only way I could free up the RAM was to close the browser. There's doesn't seem to be any spyware or anything added to my system. I don't actually have an account, is it just a setting, you have to login to set?

Whoa, whoa, whoa...hold up a second...you use Firefox?! a 1gb patch for an extension seems a little...excessive. Did you Google it? Doesn't sound legit to me.

SlimRam wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 19:54:
Blue, my first flying guillotine Japanese steak house adventure...snipped to protect the innocent...

This kinda sounds like my first 'business' meeting at a fancy seafood restaurant. What a cluster that was.

I feel your pain, SlimRam. Salute

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2017, 00:38.

3016 Comments. 151 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo