Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. Currently, lurking and keeping my mouth shut.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2457 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch Update
41. Re: Into the Black Oct 14, 2016, 04:41 Rigs

All of you, do me one favor. Get up, go outside, take a deep breath and look at the sky. The amount of vitriol in this thread is really astounding, even for Blues standards. I am actually, generally, no-shit-not-trying-to-sound-funny-tongue-in-cheek-like worried for your well-being. Really. You all have such pent up anger, almost to the point of near seething rage just boiling under the surface.

Take that anger and hate, just for a second and put it aside...if you're able. Just for a moment, speak about this as if you have no dog in this fight. I don't. So let's get one thing absolutely clear, right here, right now. I am not 'defending' Sean Murray or his actions. I am not condoning his actions. What I write is my opinion, nothing more, nothing less. If you have problems understanding the difference between stating an opinion and condoning someones actions, don't bother replying. I can't help you and I won't continue to constantly say the same thing over and over. If you don't like my opinion, that's fine. That's the idea. That's what forums are about. That's why we're here...or at least I thought? To speak about one's opinions on various topics related to PC gaming, yes? So let's do that and not try to throw each other under the bus. I've seen pictures of people that have been hit (and dragged) by buses and it's not pretty.

Now that that's out of the way...first I want to directly respond to RedMask quickly...most of your post is your personal opinion of events, speculation. You have no clue what happened in the Hello Games studio nor are you privvy to Sony's internal decision making. If you actually are and have proof of such, then my humble apologies. However, I'll hedge my bets and say you weren't there and what YOU said is no more fact than what I did. Because what I said isn't popular and yours seems to be the line being towed around here doesn't magically make it any more true. Sorry, but you'd say the same if it were reversed. I'm not trying to imply that what you said doesn't have merit nor am I trying to marginalize your opinion. But don't marginalize mine either. Also, 'I should know better.'? Please don't talk down to me as if I'm a child and that I'm not capable of understanding the situation. I wouldn't disrespect you like that, please don't do it to me...

As for me putting 'lied' in quotes, that was just my way of pointing out that I have a different opinion of what he did, not that I was suggesting he was being sly about it. Basically, it was pointing to my way of looking at it, not the way he said it. (If that makes any more sense...lol) Sorry for the confusion. I want to point out that I can't, after looking over some videos today (on a better wifi connection) believe that he outright lied and knew it. It just doesn't look that way to me. I'm sorry. That's just how I feel. If you feel differently, great. That doesn't make me more out of touch or gullible (because I know Cutter is going to say something like that...), I just see people differently, I guess. When I look at the videos, I see a guy that, yeah, maybe he's a lot like Molyneux, he wanted to have this stuff in his game and maybe for a long, long time he thought they could do it. Listen, we weren't there everyday for four years with them working on this thing. They could have done a number of different things over that time that we have no knowledge of. Hell, who knows that a year from now, IGN or Kotaku might come out with an article showing an old build that was stored away on a internal server that they found that had some of these things and when they find it, they show us that they did do some of the things they promised...and something just didn't work out. The fact is we just don't know. That's just one fairytale possibility but it could happen. Probably not but that's the thing, none of us know.

And I can say this with any developer. Look at Bungie, all the different stuff HALO was gonna have before release. It was gonna be a an RTS! It was gonna be on MAC! Even recently with 343, the WHOLE DAMN MARKETING CAMPAIGN of Halo5 was a fake! It was bullshit! None of those supposed situations happen in the game! Did 343 lie? No. Bungie did the same thing with HALO2. A lot of you guys either don't remember the old days or weren't there because back in the DOS and early Win95 days, missing features was par for the course! My favorite game of all-time, Aces of the Pacific, was supposed to have an RAF add-on that was previewed for months. Never came out. Instead they shipped Aces Over Europe. Granted, it's not 1-1, apples to apples, but the sentiment is the same. Game development is fluid. We have no idea what they planned to have at launch, whether or when they knew this or that. You guys can speculate and I can speculate back in the opposite direction. We aren't privileged to the details. As gamers, consumers, we have to look at it all from the outside and wonder. Go look up Larry Bundy Jr. (Hello, you!), he has a ton of games from the old days that should have had this or was to have that or didn't even look like what was on the box! You guys are taking this way too hard...

Again, I'll state that this is my OPINION, I am not defending nor condoning anyone's actions or behavior. This the way I see things. I see the world just a little different from you guys but it doesn't make it less legit. All our parents told us we were special butterflies when we were young...well, maybe not Cutter. Ok, enough hippy bullshit...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it...you guys have a stroke over it, don't say I didn't warn you...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2016, 04:52.

'Ah, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package, how efficient of you...I only hope that in your stumbling around, you do not wake the dragon.' They didn't listen, of course. Arrogant men never do.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Trailer
25. Re: Into the Black Oct 14, 2016, 03:28 Rigs

Alright, CJ, I've had enough. Stop going full-on Derek for a second (Never EVER go Full Derek!). I really couldn't care less about this SC crap anymore. It's impressive, yes and when I watched it I was really hoping, like most of us (even if we can't publicly admit it for fear of tarnishing our bad-boy hardcore PC elitist image), that this would someday be a 'thing' we could play and enjoy. Until then I have plenty to keep me busy, and plenty other shit to boil the blood in my poor veins about ( Next time, Mojang, NEXT TIME! Shakefist )...

If I understand what you're saying correctly, you're implying that they took the original stream 'Con footage and removed the bit where the guy was using a HOTAS to control the ship as it landed and then with the buggy/rover/whatever, yes? I watched the stream too and then watched what was uploaded to YT and this video here that is the subject of the post was uploaded a day after the stream was, not days later as a response to bitching on forums. It's been sitting in my 'Watch Later' and 'History' list for days now. I started watching it and then stopped, realizing it was the same thing but I used it to share to a few friends who are semi-interested. I figured that would be a better 'to-the'point' video to send instead the hours-long one with little more than talking for most of it.

Anyway, the original stream was posted to YT on the 10th of October, the smaller video above posted almost exactly a day later on the 11th. There are several other videos uploaded by RSI and others regarding the 'Con around the same time frame. Now maybe I wasn't really paying attention, but I was under the impression that Roberts was controlling the ship and the rover? I, unfortunately, cannot double-check because of my shitty connection. But if not, the only bit that I think was 'staged' or 'scripted' would have been the close up of the station as they came in, the guy on the mountain (naturally), and the firefight...and the worm. These bits may have been put in there as-is or randomized. I think, personally, they were, themselves self-contained instances of scripted events. Just because something within an unscripted sequence is staged doesn't mean it ALL is! I think they know how to program a little better than that.

In addition, you can see at multiple times during the video of the landing and then before the firefight that there are flashing textures all over at random times. Maybe a shader-issue or an engine-issue? I dunno. I'm not a programmer. But I've seen something similar in games at times when drivers start getting fussy. Maybe the rig was running a little on the warm side?

Fact is, no one knows because no here was there to see it. Much like the Murray conversation I wrote about earlier today, we aren't privvy to the internal, every-day details of what goes on. Any number of things could have been going on behind the scenes. All you're doing is speculating and stirring the pot. Again, you're going full Derek and no one likes that...

=-Rigs-=

'Ah, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package, how efficient of you...I only hope that in your stumbling around, you do not wake the dragon.' They didn't listen, of course. Arrogant men never do.

32. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Update Oct 13, 2016, 12:28 Rigs

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 10:26:
Rigs,
He's not a Liar? Or what about this?

He's not a liar, he's just running as a presidental nominee right?

El Pit wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 04:26:
Rigs wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 04:03:
I hear a lot that Sean 'lied' to everyone. I really honestly don't think that's the case. [...] hoping if he says the right thing, he'll get out of the death trap, he (admittedly) put himself in.

So in other words, he did not tell the truth but said what everybody wanted to hear. Not telling the truth could also be called... Ah, whatever. Did not buy the game but still got it on my wish list in case they will patch it into something more interesting. One can hope. But should not lie about hopes being actually already reality.

Alright...I should point out that what I said is my personal opinion and you obviously have a right to your own. Because my opinion doesn't square with yours, doesn't make me 'blind to the obvious' or 'stupid' or a 'sheep' or that I like people to whisper sweet nothings in my ear even though I know it'll never happen. I just don't see the situation like you do, or how the majority does. That's life.

Look at ALL the shit Trump has said and done over the last year and yet those that support him, they're reasoning for continuing to support him is basically - 'Nobody's perfect. We need someone to shake up Washington and Trump is it'.

*sigh*

I think that's akin to sticking your head in the sand, hoping you'll get the return you want while ignoring the bad stuff. Kinda like war crimes. Well, yeah, they raped, maimed and slaughtered but hey, can't argue with the results! I don't agree with any of it but that's me. I've met plenty of people that think he's great. I could probably meet plenty of people that think Chris Roberts or Derek Smart is great. Everyone is different and has different opinions. No one thinks my bitching and complaining and cuss-ridden rants about Mojang's snapshots are a reason to get upset. I think it's bullshit that they have no *^$^)_@# ambition and every patch is just bug fixes and bullshit features no one wanted. Yet they're pulling in millions a month. All about perspective.

Anyway, did Sean Murray outright lie and know he was lying AT THE TIME and yet did it anyway? I don't believe that. I think he talked about features he either had at one time in the game or hoped to implement before release. (Note, I can't view those videos that are linked because of my throttled satellite connection, sorry!) For whatever reason (we aren't there, we don't know what problems may have come up during development, since making games isn't exactly easy) these features weren't in the final game. But keep in mind the absolute meltdown when a small two month delay was announced. Now picture what would happen if they came out and said, 'well, having had an outside crew come in and play, they've found the game to be below standards and we've decided to delay six months to retool the game and make sure that all the features we've said would be there, will be". It would be chaos! And then everyone on here would be saying 'I TOLD YOU SO!!!'. And Sony might threaten to pull the plug or ship it out anyway. Whatever. There's a million different scenarios. Point is, what happened, happened. Is Mr Murray solely to blame for it? I don't personally think so. I think he's a part of it, surely. But I don't let Sony off the hook, either. I personally believe they had a LOT to do with the decision to kick NMS out the door. And who's decision was it to NOT have QA or an outside testing period? Obviously one person who got the game early almost totally changed the game before launch! Think if it had gotten more testing before release! But who denied the game that? I think Sony did. Who told reviewers they weren't getting review copies early? Sony. Who wouldn't give refunds until practically being beat over the head for it (and still won't in a lot of cases)? SONY. If you're gonna be pissed off, be pissed at SONY. I think Murray gets to be the goat in all this and he knows it, which is why he's being quiet. No matter what he says, he'll be labelled a liar. So what do you do? No matter what you say, no one will listen. You take yourself out of the whole situation. Which he has.

I just hope they can patch in some of what we hoped would be in there.

Does this explain what I said a little better (I hope)?

=-Rigs-=

17. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Update Oct 13, 2016, 04:03 Rigs

shiho wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 03:15:
I have no pity for most people who pre-ordered or bought this game.

It was crystal-clear from its inception that it's going to be another Spore. There was no "what if". It was just going to be crappy procedural models inside a bland gameplay loop. The more time passed, the clearer that became, to the point where even a dog should've gotten it already. The vague pie-in-the-sky promises, the fuzzy-wuzzy videos with no real gameplay shown...

But I guess there's a sucker born every minute. I feel no pity for any seasoned gamer who bought it, period. The only people I pity, are the clueless teenagers or their moms ordering this game for them. Those are the innocent casualties of Sean Murray's scumbaggery.

Oh, come now, everyone, even at their best isn't 100%. I'm sure ALL of us have had buyers remorse at some point for something. The way I see it, if the devs don't show off the best parts of the game right away, because it's something they're proud to show everyone, then something is off. Every successful game never went all the way to launch without marketing off it's prized jewels. There are no hidden secrets when it comes to game mechanics. If it's good, they're gonna show it off. Not 'hide it for gamers to discover'. They might not show all of it but they'll at least show it exists.

I hear a lot that Sean 'lied' to everyone. I really honestly don't think that's the case. I don't. Not because I'm a starry-eyed believer. But because I see him stuck between three slowly closing walls during development, hoping if he says the right thing, he'll get out of the death trap, he (admittedly) put himself in. Between the public, Sony and his own dev team. I think he was happy with the result but I think he was also happy it was over. Think back. Two decades, three. A game like NMS would be heralded as a work of art. I'm certainly not saying that it is now, but back then it would have been. It would have been a best-seller, on all the end of year lists and 'Top whatevers'. Maybe he thought it was enough. Maybe he realized that what they had promised wasn't going to happen, he had Sony on his back to put the game out, plus death threats from idiots saying no more delays and he just threw his hands up and said, fuck it. Because, he is still a human being, you know. Even if you get yourself in a bind, you CAN just call 'game over' and walk away. His decision to ship a game without certain aspects that were promised didn't cost lives or anything. You guys need prospective. In the end, it's a game. It didn't turn out as promised, like most things do in real life and we have to live with it. If you go into this with that in mind, you won't feel so...betrayed when it happens. I mean, I'm not perfect. I get pissed...so very pissed off, at Mojang for their lack of focus and ambition. But it's just blowing off steam. They don't care. Sea n Murray doesn't even know who you are or care. He got out of the torture pit he put himself into. And he only had to sell his soul to do it.

=-Rigs-=

(Yes, this is all over the place, I just woke up...apologies. Hopefully you can find my meaning in there somewhere...lol)

News Comments > Crush Online Launches
2. Re: Crush Online Launches Oct 11, 2016, 15:42 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 12:41:
Also, their website brings my computer to a grinding halt.

Holy shit, you're not kidding! It sorta kinda was ok before everything loaded (my satellite connection is throttled so it's the equivalent of ISDN speeds...blech!) but when I went to exit and close the tab, Chrome didn't do anything for a solid three minutes! In fact, I couldn't do ANYTHING for three solid minutes either! Geezus...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
17. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 9, 2016, 18:59 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Oct 9, 2016, 11:35:
TheVocalMinority wrote on Oct 9, 2016, 00:19:
Cutter wrote on Oct 8, 2016, 19:02:
In Soviet Union cars log you!

This is probably the worst attempt at using the "In Soviet Russia" meme that I have ever seen.

Well that's just because your an asshole with no sense of humour.

I totally think I'm on Cutter's IGNORE list and if so, woooo! W00tw00t Woohoo

Regardless, I have to wonder...so you're the only one that dictates what is humor and what isn't? And we can't have say otherwise? I'm extremely curious who inflated that ego to such enormous proportions?! My god, man, you're quickly hitting DerekSmart/KanyeWest/ChrisBrown territory! Turn back before it's too late!

=-Rigs-=

10. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 9, 2016, 02:15 Rigs

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 8, 2016, 21:13:
Ozmodan wrote on Oct 8, 2016, 20:54:
it will be a long time before I let a car self drive me. They need to make major improvements to the AI before I will ever trust that. like that fool who was watching a dvd when his car went under a truck, sorry no way would I take that chance.

An autopilot is NOT autonomous driving, at no point ever should you switch an AP on and go away doing something else. Why do you think pilots sit in the cockpit even today, or why do you think ships are driven by a crew, and not the AP ? Hell, ship AGI is maybe 7 or 8 years out, and the main problem is docking and undocking as the ports have to be mapped and they need to support such drone vessels. With cars we are maybe 12 years at most away from a full feature AP... but totally autonomous? As in drone taxis? Yeah no. Maybe in few big cities that are exceptionally well mapped, but not on the whole national street network.

The problem is that Tesla marketed this technology totally wrong. An AP is never ever supposed to replace a human at the wheel.

So when Uber gets their self-driving taxis, will there be a driver in the seat? That seems counter-productive if there is, as that person could just drive instead. Now I'm confused...

=-Rigs-=

9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 9, 2016, 02:05 Rigs

TheVocalMinority wrote on Oct 9, 2016, 00:19:
Cutter wrote on Oct 8, 2016, 19:02:
In Soviet Union cars log you!

This is probably the worst attempt at using the "In Soviet Russia" meme that I have ever seen.

Well, to be fair, Cutter had to get into the conversation somehow...his ego doesn't allow for non-participation... Nod

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2016, 02:12.

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Minecraft snapshot 16w40a. Oct 7, 2016, 02:29 Rigs

MINECRAFT SNAPSHOT 16W38A - Sep 20, 2016

This snapshot gives you a lot of bug fixes and also a new gamerule! If you are longing for new features - don’t worry, since MINECON is very close now! And during MINECON we will give you info about several new exciting 1.11 features!

MINECRAFT SNAPSHOT 16W40A - Oct 6, 2016 (After Minecon!)

It’s time for a charming bug fix snapshot!
And this snapshot includes…

Notable changes:
  • Fixed bugs introduced in the previous snapshot

• Added bugs to fix in next snapshot

• Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you!!! Fuckin' lazy, bullshit liars!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Mafia III Framerate Concerns
    20. Re: Mafia III Framerate Concerns Oct 7, 2016, 02:13 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Oct 7, 2016, 01:01:
    Why do publishers continue to wait until the last minute (or never) to tell people important things like a 30 FPS lock?

That's a rhetorical question, yes? We don't have to actually tell you the answer, you as a Blues veteran and PC gamer, know it.

The double-backwards PR speak has got to stop!

'In the meantime, the team welcomes feedback and would like to hear from you about what performance adjustment options are important to you.

Fucking, really?! Are you so out of touch that you don't know which options every PC gamer usually yells and screams for when it's not included in a newly released 'AAA' game?! Look at the forums for Batman: Arkham Knight, No Mans Sky, DX:MD, Battlefield, Battlefront, GEARS4, ForzaHorizon3, Quantum Break or even GTA5! You don't need anyone to tell you what you need in order to support a PC game unless, of course, that it isn't your focus and you're trying to cover your ass and not actually put in the work. Also...

...right now the game runs at a solid 30 frames-per-second.

Under what specs? Minimum? Recommended? Fantasy-In-Your-Head? Oh! You mean on CONSOLE! Yeah, of course...how fucking naive of me...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Styx: Shards Of Darkness Delay; Trailer
    1. Re: Styx: Shards Of Darkness Delay; Trailer Oct 7, 2016, 01:55 Rigs

While I commend a dev for delaying a game in order to get it right (and don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking them for it) I just hate the way they characterize it! They have to 'adapt' to Unreal4? C'mon. What's to 'adapt' to?! It's the Unreal engine! There might be some new goodies but it isn't a huge paradigm shift! And if you switched the game over, you've had to have known how to use Unreal4 in order to do so. So, what, exactly are you 'adapting' to? Or is this just bullshit PR speak, like usual? (That I hate with a passion! )

Just say, 'We're finishing moving the game over to Unreal4 from Unreal3'. Simple, to the point, honest and doesn't treat your customer base like drooling idiots that like shiny words...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Beholder Beta to Demo Transition
    2. Re: Beholder Beta to Demo Transition Oct 4, 2016, 15:17 Rigs

This game is set in a dystopian future where an oppressive totalitarian state exerts complete control over the population.

Oh, so it's a sneak peak at Trump's America, then? Sweet!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Rumors
    22. Re: Destiny 2 PC Rumors Oct 2, 2016, 22:17 Rigs

MattyC wrote on Oct 1, 2016, 00:56:
    Rigs wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 22:47:
    after they abandoned last gen like a hooker with leprosy.

The 360 had a lengthy run having launched in 2005. It is 2016, time to let that one go.

Don't get me wrong, you can still get tons of fun out of a 360 playing through older titles, but expecting support for something as online focused as Destiny? I don't think that was ever in the cards.

While I agree, partially, regardless of the age of the platform, if you bring out a game for it that you sell for triple-A price, then I would expect as much support for it as the next gen titles get. They didn't have to put Destiny on the 360, it could have been just a next-gen, Xbone title entirely (and it probably would have benefited from that considerably). I think the real reasoning behind it was that GTA5 had been released, then re-released on next-gen consoles, then released again on PC, and sold millions. Money talks. Destiny was a hotly anticipated and loved title. Why not do the same thing and reap the rewards, ja? But since Destiny is much more MP-focused than GTA5 is, cutting off development and access to the 360 version basically killed the game on that platform altogether. GTA5 on the last-gen is still very playable. In fact, I still occasionally play my PS3 version. With Destiny, you can do that too, but you can't access the best stuff or the newer stuff. And IMO, there's no real reason for that to be true. It hasn't gotten a graphical upgrade, nothing in it since it ceased development on the 360 warranted it's demise. And this is what I meant by my statement.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    13. Re: Hurricane Matthew- 'Life-threatening flash floods and mudslides' expected. Oct 2, 2016, 21:54 Rigs

If anyone claims to know where this beast of a storm is going, they're fucking insane. My post on Facebook early this morning...

So, here we are, early Sunday morning, October 2nd. Hurricane Matthew still spins in the southern Caribbean Sea. Winds had lowered slightly over the afternoon hours of Saturday but these kinds of fluctuations in major hurricanes are common and expected.

You can think of a Cat5 hurricane to that of an F1 race engine operating at peak RPMs. It doesn't stay at a steady level, it revs slightly up and down, not enough to slow things down but noticeable nonetheless. A major hurricane operating at this level requires a lot of different things to go right. It's actually pretty amazing when you think about all of the things that have to fall into place for one of these storms to get to this level of intensity....and then to maintain that intensity. It has to battle colder water patches in the ocean below, sometimes upwards of 2° or 3°C cooler (most of Caribbean is at 30-31°C, perfect temperature for a hungry cyclone).

Then there's the issue of wind shear from the various other systems in the area, all working in tandem in the air 'soup'. The outflow from a system like this creates a high pressure system on top of the hurricane. Surprisingly, most people don't realize that this very low pressure cyclone, at less that 980 millibars, relies on the pressure differential between the low pressure at the surface and the high pressure above to pull the air up, creating lift, bringing moisture from the hot ocean below to fuel the convective thunderstorm engine above...thus, in simpler terms, a high pressure sitting on top of a low pressure system. And, yes, if you're curious, a hurricane CAN also be under a mid-to-upper low pressure system as well. In fact, this very thing happened to Tropical Storm IAN a few weeks ago. As you might expect, it doesn't exactly help development.

Other issues that might cause fluctuations in a major hurricane are dry air streaming in from around the storm. This has been an issue with some storms this year in both the Atlantic and especially in the Pacific, where a good portion of the air out there is very dry.

One other thing that forecasters look for when hurricanes are Cat3 or above (considered 'Major') is 'eyewall replacement cycles'. Everyone knows of the 'eye' of the hurricane. What most people DON'T know is that this eyewall is not permanent nor is it static. The size of the eye itself will expand and contract along with the amount of convection present (thunderstorm activity) and the height/temperature of the cloud tops of said convection. If the cloud tops get really cold (like colder than -70°C) and the eye itself clears and warms, it generally means the storm is intensifying. But the eyewall itself will also tend to get replaced as time goes on and when this happens, the hurricane will generally lose some strength and possibly move somewhat erratically until the cycle is complete. When this happens, a second eyewall is seen to develop outside and around the original. Over a short period of time, the original eyewall will start to expland and be absorbed into the new eyewall, or dissipate, leaving the new eyewall to contract to it previous position before the cycle began. This is what is thought to have happened over the afternoon, and why the hurricane both moved erratically and weakened somewhat, only to come back to full strength again tonight. The process is still not fully understood, nor are the factors that cause a hurricane to initiate a replacement.

As for the path of Matthew...the NHC really doesn't have a good idea where it might be going in the long term yet. It looks like the hurricane has finally started to make it's long predicted turn to the northwest and this will take it close to, or right over Jamaica, Haiti and Cuba within the next 24-36 hours. There are some pretty big mountains in Haiti and eastern Cuba and these will weaken Matthew some as it passes over. Also being over any kind of land does it no favors. Once it emerges on the other side, however, the current track isn't exactly one of high confidence.

So what's the problem? Well, it has to do with a trough of low pressure and the ridge of high pressure over the Atlantic. Specifically, it has to do with Ohio (of all things). Well, actually, the low pressure that is currently sitting over the Ohio River Valley. Where this system goes, how strong it is and when will determine where Hurricane Matthew, a storm over 1200 miles south, ultimately goes. The high pressure ridge that has been pushing Matthew to the west this whole time is sliding east and weakening, thus Matthew is now following it's way around the southwest side of the ridge. (Think of it as a big bubble over the western Atlantic Ocean and the East Coast that stretches all the way down to just north of the hurricane) As that low pressure system in the Midwest starts moving, this will determine where the hurricane goes, sandwiched between the low pressure 'bubble' to it's northwest and the high pressure 'bubble' to it's northeast. The tug-of-war between the two dictates where the hurricane goes.

And until the computer models finally stop goofing around and get their shit together, Matthew's path will be a mystery. I'm sure that the picture will clear up substantially once Matthew emerges from the Caribbean islands. Unfortunately, once that happens, it gives Florida little time to prepare, should the hurricanes sight fall on it.

So now, we wait.

Eighteen hours later, we still know nothing more about Hurricane Matthew's track after it passes Haiti and Cuba than we did. It weakened somewhat over the daylight hours today but has regained nearly all the strength it had lost. It continues to move slowly to the northwest (though it wobbled to the west this afternoon for a few hours). The computer models are having a very hard time with this storm in the 3-5 day period and beyond. If the upper-level low over Ohio moves out, retrogrades west or dissipates and the high pressure ridge begins building back westward, it will push Matthew westward, right into Florida.

I live in north central Florida (I used to live on the west central Gulf coast, an hour and a half north of Tampa, but moved in May inland, thirty miles north of Gainesville, about 45 minutes west of Jacksonville and the east coast of FL). We took a glancing blow from Hurricane Hermine in early September, losing power for almost exactly 36 hours. We had a wind gust, locally, of 76mph and sustained winds of 50-70 mph for a few hours. That doesn't sound like much, but when you're in the middle of it, the lights out at 2am and pitch dark, all you can hear is the winds howling, rushing outside, trying their hardest to take the roof off above your head, you just want it to be done with. That was just barely a Cat1. Matthew is a Cat4, with sustained winds of 140mph. Hurricane force winds only extend out 20-30 miles from the center but tropical force winds (up to 75mph) extend out over 200 miles. If Hurricane Matthew came near to Jacksonville, Fl, we'd definitely feel it. Not to mention the rain. I can't even begin to imagine the absolute horrendous conditions that those poor people in Haiti and Cuba will have to endure. This storm will be one for the record books, certainly and I have no doubt that at the end of the year, they'll vote to have Matthew's name removed from the rotating storm name's list. God help us all.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2016, 22:02.

News Comments > Defunct Digital Homicide Drops Lawsuit
    20. Re: Defunct Digital Homicide Drops Lawsuit Oct 1, 2016, 19:00 Rigs

While I'm not on the extreme end of some of the opinions here, I do believe that DH stepped on a land mine in the very beginning of all this. This all goes back to one single event, the release of Slaughtering Grounds and Jim (Fucking) Sterling (Son)'s Youtube video/review about it.

[I'll point out, up front, that I do watch and like Jim Sterling's content, whether it be reviews and previews on video or in print, his weekly podcast and Jimquisition or wasting ten minutes rambling on about Bogglins or even just him dry humping a handful of Pogs while wearing a creepy mask (yes, it happened...Yes, Pogs...YES, I'm serious! Now, shush! I'm not done giving my informed opinion yet ) ]

DH could have stated their displeasure at his review in a number of ways that wouldn't have earned them the ire of Jim's 'community' but instead they naively knee-jerked by pulling the video with some stupid excuse that would have never stood up in court (had it gotten that far). DH shot first but are now crying that they didn't shoot best. Once members of Jim's village started bringing in heat on the dev, they further dug the ol' metaphorical hole by mocking Jim's review and basically calling him a hack with no class. And forgive me for fanboying but Sterling can be called many things, having no style is certainly not one of them.

When you shoot off a takedown on someone's channel not knowing if that one will be the third nail in the coffin that sinks the whole ship, but indeed knowing full well that you're not going to follow through and merely use it as a bullying tactic, then mock and make fun of the guy himself for just doing his job (and yes, it is his job) and then have the BALLS to turn around and play victim when that bullying comes right back to you 100x fold...no, just no. You deserve everything you get. But DH wasn't done, were they?

Jim even went so far as to talk it out with them via a video posted to YT, just to get them to understand that what he said wasn't a personal attack, only a very critical and damning review of their product. Would you agree if, say, BMW sued a reviewer at Car and Driver for giving a very unfavorable review of their newest car? No, no one would because it's crazy. Jim wasn't calling the dev's mothers whores or that the Romaine brothers suck it for positive reviews on STEAM. They had no leg to stand on. This was just a personal vendetta against him because he was the first to open that floodgate. He was the public figure that they could clearly see while the masses of angry gamers were merely the poisonous fog, without form, without individual identity.

It didn't have to be this way. The only fault here is at DH's feet. They couldn't let it go. They couldn't just take the good with the bad and soldier on. Once they fired that first shot, they'd signed their own death certificate. They were dead men walking. Too bad everyone could see it but them.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2016, 01:59.

News Comments > Production Line Announced
    7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2016, 04:46 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 03:45:
    Prez wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 10:41:
    Positech is Cliffski isn't it? He doesn't come around anymore does he?

I think he got yelled at last time he came. As Beam is fond of pointing out, if you make it not fun for devs/designers, they'll stop coming.

Hmmm, if I wasn't a lazy douche, I'd look it up...but seeing as it's 4:30 in the morning and I've yet to go to bed...nahhh. Besides, We constantly yell at Derek and he keeps coming back like [insert funny analogy of choice here, I'm too tired to think of one]...

I loved both GSB games, but thought GTB was just so-so. Hoping this is good. I wonder if Cliffski got inspired by Factorio.

If anything, he got inspired by the success of Factorio and Big Pharma. (and maybe Infinifactory) Of course, that's speculation. But my unnamed sources have assured me that my information is correct. And I've also been assured that these unnamed sources almost certainly exist and I most definitely didn't just make all that up because I want attention and I'm way over tired...Probably.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Portal/Half-Life Movie News Nears?
    20. Re: Portal/Half-Life Movie News Nears? Sep 29, 2016, 16:30 Rigs

We already have the perfect Gordon Freeman right here! Whether he can act...well, that's another story entirely...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Production Line Announced
    4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2016, 16:23 Rigs

Prez wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 10:41:
    Positech is Cliffski isn't it? He doesn't come around anymore does he?

He was around not too long ago...right when GSB2 was out...I think he's a little salty about the ho-hum reception he got with GSB2 and the absolute *crickets* he got with GTB. Personally, I really liked GTB and the GSB series, though I seem to have lost my install of GSB somewhere along the way and only have the demo. Would be great if he would pop in and give us an 'Blues vets only' inside scoop on the new game...I promise I won't turn around and immediately blab everything to Kotaku...well, for at least 10 minutes, anyway...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Rumors
    10. Re: Destiny 2 PC Rumors Sep 27, 2016, 22:47 Rigs

Mark my words, this will be one of those Xbone->PC things like Forza Horzon3. It's strange because I had a dream a couple weeks ago of playing Destiny on my PC. I don't even own it, I have the demo on my 360 but never bought it after they abandoned last gen like a hooker with leprosy. I figured there was no point. (I got my 360 AFTER the Xbone was released, that's how late I was) But I also think that HALO6 (or whatever name they give it, I don't think it'll have a '6' in the title) will be on PC, too, and that FORGE is a test...a very important test. Back when FORGE came out on PC, I saw people ask why they needed to test it, HALO 1 and 2 were on PC? Well, yes, but they were done by BUNGIE. AFAIK, 343 has NO experience building a PC game...

But with DESTINY, I'd love to play it. Not for the grind. For the story. For the lore. That's why I'm such a HALO fanboy. And why I'm so pissed that 343 has pissed all over it just to be...dramatic. Fuckers. They ruined HALO5. I didn't really care for the story in HALO4 either but the game was very fun to play, even with a controller. (I SUCK at playing FPS's with a fucking controller!) I wish BUNGIE would take HALO back. It was so much better then. And get the old soundtrack producer in, too! Music was better back then also...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2016, 22:53.

News Comments > More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart
    14. Re: More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart Sep 26, 2016, 23:21 Rigs

Holy christ that 'article' is long! I started reading and then told myself to wait until I was ready for bed. It'll be just what I need to put me to sleep. And, of course, the comments section has turned into a fanboi hatefest, slinging putdowns, callouts and bullshit across the line...not that it's surprising. I just can't figure out how Smart was able to get taken serious in all this. His ego must be busting through flight level 7-0 right about now... *smh*

As for the video? Rubbish. The first nine were just an excuse to get to the last one, that much was obvious. Trying to cover up sour grapes with a supposed 'top 10' clickbait video ain't gonna fool nobody, mate! Now why don't we get down to why you really made it? Inquisitive

=-Rigs-=

2457 Comments. 123 pages. Viewing page 11.
    < Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo