Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. Currently, lurking and keeping my mouth shut.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2630 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Announced
3. Re: Skull & Bones Announced Jun 12, 2017, 23:55 Rigs

Christ, you people can be cynical bastards! (I mean that in a adorably loving way! ) You don't like it, don't buy it! Yeah, I get the whole' stagnation of ideas in the industry' thing. I've said as much myself a hundred times before but still. Even back in PC Gaming's 'Golden Age' (1990's), there were remakes and remasters, just not in name. They want to bring back an old classic with updated parts, so be it! I don't have a problem with it. If they just brought it back as a 'Classic Edition' with no enhancements and just leaned on nostalgia alone, then I'd have a problem...

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Skull & Bones Announced
4. Re: Skull & Bones Announced Jun 12, 2017, 23:41 Rigs

Hmm, I started playing Black Flag but, honestly, I got bored in the very first mission when you're running around the island, jumping from tree to tree stand and back. Then I started to get to where some soldiers were holding some pirates captive, snuck up and killed all but the leader and when I did go for the leader, the game crashed. And since I was having a smashing good time (*ahem*), I quit and never went back.

So, having not gotten into the game proper, tell me what I'm missing? Cause it seems to be pretty freakin' boring so far. I mean, when I started playing Brotherhood (or was it Revelations ?!) I was climbing tall peaks and castles and then jumping between runaway horse carriages...all in the like the first mission! I guess BF just didn't grab me right away like I think it should. I have Syndicate sitting on my hard drive too but I haven't tried it yet. It doesn't seem like that one has much going for it, either, since hardly anyone says anything about it at all... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

News Comments > DiRT 4 Released
13. Re: DiRT 4 Released Jun 10, 2017, 19:02 Rigs

Ventura wrote on Jun 10, 2017, 05:03:
Rigs wrote on Jun 10, 2017, 00:02:
a big 4 outta 5, 8 outta 10 with a 'Bad-Ass' seal of approval, AWESOMETACULAR! recommendation... (cookie goes to the names of each reviewer whom I just stole those from!)

I see a little Angry Joe mixed in with some Jeremy Jahns for good measure. 2 out of 3?

I figured the '4 outta 5' would confuse some...I was referencing the one and only Mr. Adam Sessler (and to a lesser extent, the ever stunning Morgan Webb) of X-Play fame (it became somewhat of a meme that most games reviewed on the show would garner a '4... ... ... out of 5'). The others were correct, ol' Angry Joe and the venerable Jeremy Jahns. Enjoy your cookie!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
8. Re: DiRT 4 Released Jun 10, 2017, 13:45 Rigs

Yup, currently pursuing the many links you guys have provided! I really do appreciate you all taking the time to do that for me! The more I know, the better! Much thanks!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > New AMD ReLive Drivers
6. Re: AMD Drivers Jun 10, 2017, 13:39 Rigs

Thank you, WaltC and Mordecai, for the additional info! That was above and beyond what I'd hoped to learn and those links will keep me busy for quite a while as I venture down the dark path of 'AA'.

I plan to soon start building a new system, with either a x299/CoreX or x399/ThreadRipper base (depending on which comes out with the better price/power ratio) and a nice 1070/1080 or 470/480/580 with as much VRAM as I can possibly afford! I'll probably keep my monitors though unless I find a good deal on a gSync/144hz/200hz panel. Since it won't be until closer to the holidays, I'm sure they'll be plenty of deals to take advantage of. For now, I'm just trying to weigh in on the stuff I don't know and am curious about and stuffing as much tech information in this aging brain as possible!

Thanks again, guys, I really appreciate it! Thumbsup

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer Leak
8. Re: eeH... Jun 10, 2017, 13:11 Rigs

Forgetting everything else, can we all just agree that Ewan McGregor freakin' nailed the character of Obi Wan Kenobi?! Every I see him dressed as the future old hermit wizard, I think, 'this guy should have had the trilogy to himself, from his point of view'. To hell with whinefest little orphan Annie, I want to see this bad ass sci-fi James Bond motherfucker swagger into a bar, tell some loser he doesn't want any deathsticks, convince him to go do something with his life with the wave of his fucking hand and then, without missing a beat, cut off some filthy scoundrel bounty hunter's arm like he'd planned it from the words 'I've got a bad feeling about this'.

Oh, the video? Well, the blurry ten seconds I could buffer after five minutes on my throttled sat connection wasn't that impressive. Gonna have to wait for next month when I can watch my prized one 720p video...gotta choose wisely, though...still, I have another 15 days to wait, so maybe something more substantial will catch my eye by then...

=-Rigs-=

3. Re: DiRT 4 Released Jun 10, 2017, 06:29 Rigs

Wow, I didn't think it was nearly that complicated and I can't say I understood all of it completely but I think I get the jist of it. Supersampling is the bomb, MSAA is (not the) shit. I try to read the in-depth tech discussions when they do benchmarks and stuff like that, I really do, especially when a new family of GPU's comes out but by the time I'm getting to the second or third page, I'm passed out snoring in a puddle of drool on my desk. It's pretty much the one thing I find absolutely mind-numbing about PC hardware. Same with CPU/GPU overclocking.

I appreciate the time and effort to explain it though, much thanks...I don't think I'm gonna get very far super sampling anything with my lowly, long-suffering HD7850/1gb. The good news is, though, that Witcher 3 looks fine to me as is, so I'm not complaining. Even if I grabbed some higher-res textures from Nexus Mods, my poor GPU would struggle to stream them without stuttering, not to mention my poor fragmented hard drives...lol...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
4. Re: DiRT 4 Released Jun 10, 2017, 00:08 Rigs

Asked a (probably stupid) question earlier today in the AMD driver thread but I don't think anyone saw it and it's about to fall off the page, so could someone go back and take a look and maybe give me an answer? Pweety Pwease?! Wacko

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > DiRT 4 Released
3. Re: DiRT 4 Released Jun 10, 2017, 00:02 Rigs

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 21:24:
Well this is certainly getting slammed for bad rally physics compared to Dirt Rally, which makes me wonder why to even bother with this one.

It's really not that bad, guys, seriously. It's not Dirt Rally but then, it's not trying to be. I think that trips a lot of people up. They're thinking, 'Oh wow, DiRT Rally in the original DiRT-series form! Awesome!'. Um, no. Whether they double down next time and go for a spiffy DiRT Rally 2, D4 is a worthy successor to DiRT3. The trucks are back, along with a slew of other racing categories and it has that new *sparkle* *sparkle* track maker *sparkle*. It's not really an editor, there's only two options to change the course but it works well enough. Maybe in the future the mod community will beef it up some or come out with something like it.

I spent a few hours playing it all on a friends rig yesterday afternoon with his Thrustmaster wheel (which honestly puts my poor G-25 to shame, especially the pedals!) and I was having a fucking BLAST! True, there's no VR but that doesn't mean it won't be included later on. In fact, I have a strong feeling they'll do just that because of the amount of bitching everyone is doing about it. It's like the first damn complaint people have. Something tells me Codies wasn't aware so many people were into VR and the demand was so high. Yeah, they had DR but that was a niche product, so they probably figured 'niche product, niche genre, niche customers' and didn't fathom it would carry over to the 'filthy' casuals.

Me thinks you're selling this thing short just by going on a few opinions. Go watch some streams on YT or Twitch or, hell, buy it and then refund it if you ultimately don't like it. Two hours was more than enough for me to give it a big 4 outta 5, 8 outta 10 with a 'Bad-Ass' seal of approval, AWESOMETACULAR! recommendation... (cookie goes to the names of each reviewer whom I just stole those from!)

=-Rigs-=

1. Re: New AMD ReLive Drivers Jun 9, 2017, 15:31 Rigs

So...let me ask a a stupid question regarding this part...

Up to 30% performance improvement when using 8xMSAA measured on Radeon RX 580 8GB graphics

On my (admittedly near 8-yr-old) Core i5-750/2.6ghz-16gb DDR3/1600-HD7850/1gb, say in Witcher 3, I can get away with 4xAA (not sure if it's MSAA or FXAA or whatever...yes, my system can handle TW3 at 1680x1050 (my monitor isn't 1080p) with most settings at max except for things like shadows, grass density and hairFX, though I do have hairFX on. I like Ciri's hair better with it on...DON'T JUDGE ME! ). In other games, like Doom, it's impossible to have AA at all, as in Minecraft (of all things, for some ungodly reason, probably because it's optimized for shit and is made in Java).

Anyway, my question (after all that exposition) is this - Does AA at 4x, 8x and above, or more 'intensive' versions of AA (say the really strange ones like T(S?)XMSAA) get more resource intensive as the amount of GPU power goes up? In other words, my system falls to it's knees at 8x, would a 1080ti/11gb have no problem using 8x and power through it like butter or is it the 8x equivalent of my system? (and thus bring the 1080 to it's knees but making a much more beautiful picture)? Am I making sense? Is the 8x on my system the same as the 8x on an 1080ti? That's my question. Does it go up exponentially compared to the power it's given? Just curious...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 6, 2017, 10:11 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 6, 2017, 08:56:
Rigs wrote on Jun 5, 2017, 23:40:
I was struck on June 17th, 1998...
Wow. Quite the story, Rigs. You said you "learned to deal with" it. How often would you say your anxiety shows itself during storms these days?

It really depends on how close the lightning is hitting. Especially those first craaack!'s you get out of nowhere can make me jump out of my chair. Like what I said before, it can start storming down here at any time during the summer. Even if you're watching the radar, it might not show the storm yet even though it's already producing a ton of lightning. When it's hitting that close, I do start to get that feeling that I'm not safe, that something is out to get me. It's very hard to control it, especially without medication, which I refuse to take. Like a panic attack, I just have to tell myself that I'm ok, it will pass. And it usually does.

=-Rigs-=

17. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 5, 2017, 23:40 Rigs

Rhialto wrote on Jun 5, 2017, 12:10:
I've sent the lightning link... pretty amazing, isn't? Man I would have freaked out, I wonder how many decibels it would read? Even if there is more chance to be hit by a lightning than winning at the lotto, I don't know anyone around me who got that close to a strike.

Happened to anyone around you?

I was struck on June 17th, 1998..well, not directly, but it was enough to put me in the hospital for three days and it left some psychological scars. Living in FL, when there could be a lightning strike, literally, any minute from April/May until October, you have to constantly keep it in the back of your mind when you're outside. Even if you don't see a storm near you, those puffy white clouds could just start building and that first strike could be around you.

Thing was, I wasn't outside when I got hit. I was in my house, getting dinner in the kitchen. It was thundering but nothing too bad, I was barefoot in the kitchen with a plate and fork in my hand and then, all of sudden, I was waking up feeling like I'd been gone a long time. Really weird feeling, honestly. The lights were out, I never heard the boom, though family around me, my fiance`, my father and my 8 month old daughter, did. So I was out at least four seconds. I didn't know where I was, when it was...I flipped. the. fuck. out. I started screaming and I couldn't calm down for over 20 mins. I was shaking, crying, screaming. I didn't even really know why, just that I couldn't stop...My fiance` was trying in vain to calm me down but it was impossible. I couldn't. Like the worst panic attack ever long before I started having them. I wasn't injured, physically. Just mentally, though my right arm was tingling. I was over-anxious and couldn't calm down.

I had to get out of the house. I didn't feel safe. We went to Wal-Mart down the street. You might laugh but I wanted to be somewhere I knew I couldn't get hit because it was still thundering and there was still some lightning and every time I heard it, it threatened to start me going again. We got there and I sat in the food court (when they had them) and I was just in a daze for like two hours. I didn't say anything. My fiance` was afraid to say anything or do anything except to ask if I was ok. I tried to reassure her I was, I felt bad for screaming at her earlier when I had no control. My best friend came and sat with us. She thought we'd been kidding around but when she got there she knew right away something was definitely wrong. Finally, it was decided I should go to the ER and they admitted me when they couldn't bring down my heart rate from ~200bpm steady. I was scared out of my mind of something I felt could get me from anywhere I went.

They kept me sedated for three days because we had storms every day (it was summer, typical stuff) and kept my blinds and curtains closed. If my heart rate went too far up, they'd sedate me again and those three days are a blur...thankfully. I spent three months getting evaluated and going through counseling. I was diagnosed with a rare form of PTSD, 'shock anxiety'. Basically shell shock. 'Least that's what they told me it was. I wasn't ever really the same after, I had a lot more anxiety than I'd had before, I would get under the table or the bed during a storm until I taught myself to control it. I felt vulnerable constantly. It was there even during the winter because we do get storms in the winter down here. After a while I thought I'd buried it and moved on until some bad years, 2006-2010, with my divorce, the deaths of my sister and my father brought it all up and I started having massive panic attacks. That, too, I learned to deal with.

The funny thing is, if you can call anything that happened that night 'funny', the lightning struck a tree outside our house that had once had a DirectTV dish hooked to it. (We only found this out after, during the inspection) The dish was gone but the coax cable line was still there and it ran into the house, into the master bedroom closet, which was on the same wall as the living room closet. It traveled inside, started a fire in the closet (my dad had to put it out when we all saw smoke pouring out...well, they did, I was busy falling apart) and then spread out through the floor, a steel-reinforced concrete floor - where I stood in the kitchen in bare feet. That's the explanation we were given during the final inspection for the insurance about a month later. My daughter, amazingly, was in her highchair, a metal highchair but with rubber stoppers on the bottom of the legs, in the dining room, which was part of the kitchen and she wasn't fazed one bit by the noise or the aftermath. She just kept eating. I can thank God for that one thing, at least...

=-Rigs-=

8. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 5, 2017, 00:37 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 4, 2017, 12:43:
SlimRam wrote on Jun 4, 2017, 12:25:
Blue, if you'd have invited me over after a night of nuclear hot wings and tequila shots I would have have destroyed your bathroom for free.
The objective here is to leave the house habitable, not be declared a Superfund site.

HA! Giggle

Was checking this out when it showed up on the ol' Google News feed, was excited by the possibilities..

PS4 news: PlayStation Plus BOOST, PS3 Sony update, No Man's Sky reveal

...about No Mans Sky. I've actually been putting some time into it lately, with the Pathfinder update, it's been a nice, chill experience. Exactly what it was supposed to be, though sadly not marketed as. Anyway, we haven't heard a word from them since the update so when I saw the article title, I was like, 'Oh, cool! Another expansion update?'. Yeah, no. It says NOTHING! It basically says that some dope tweeted them asking if they were still working on NMS and they said 'Yes!'. THAT'S IT! That's the whole article! -The fuck?! Is the gaming world that boring?!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
8. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 5, 2017, 00:26 Rigs

ledhead1969 wrote on Jun 4, 2017, 23:46:
Creston wrote on Jun 4, 2017, 21:31:
They can get 200mbps in the fucking Himalayas, but here 10 miles outside of town in the US, you're lucky if you can get 5mbps.

CLEARLY we need to give ISPs much more leeway in restricting access and lowering speeds, right, Ajit Fucking Pai?

"Picture yourself in a restaurant. You and your friend are enjoying a nice night out on the town. You arenít super hungry, so you just order a soup and salad off the appetizer menu. Your friend is really hungry and orders a 44-oz steak. When the waiter brings you both your checks, you both owe the same amount. You ask the waiter why and he tells you thatís just the way it is. After all, it wouldnít be fair if you paid less than your friend."

Yeah, fuck that (in particular) and fuck Ajay Ghale Ajit Pai! I live two miles from a cable line and as such I rely on Dish satellite and as I've gone over a million times before, it fucking sucks! After having my data cap reset last week (a mere 10gb), it's now gone and I'm once again throttled to 128k. Six days. But you can check up on a Kardashian on Mt Everest! Yup, we got our priorities straight alright...Christ...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Need for Speed Payback Announced
15. Re: Need for Speed Payback Announced Jun 3, 2017, 02:38 Rigs

Suppa7 wrote on Jun 3, 2017, 02:20:
So if you don't simply like driving and appreciate the quality of the car physics you won't get "porsche unleashed" since it's a gift to those who like to drive for drivings sake and not just pure adrenaline all the time.

At the risk of sounding defensive, which is not my intent, I can say that I wasn't looking for a pure arcade adrenaline rush. On the contrary, at the time I was in search of a decent arcade-ish game with sim elements (much like GRID). I'd spent untold hours in INDYCAR RACING and NASCAR RACING, along with Viper Racing (another unforgiving racer) and GPL (don't get me started! ), I wanted something a little more 'fresh' and not so damn shackled to realism.

NFS2 was my introduction to the series, via a new Playstation (having been bought by trading in my N64...something I spent weeks agonizing over for obvious reasons, but in the end, there were just, at the time, many more games for the PSX than the N64 and I was bored!) and I just about wore the disc out between myself and my good friend constantly playing it. It did everything right. Frantic racing, easy controls, good graphics (for the time) and nice sound/music. Plus the two player split-screen was awesome! I skipped NFS3-Hot Pursuit and grabbed NFS4-High Stakes for the PC a few years later and loved it. It was another NFS2 but with better graphics.

Then Porsche Unleashed comes around trying to be another NFS2/4 but with some sim elements thrown in, which was fine with me. It just felt like the difficulty level could have been tweaked better. I get what they were going for and it did it ok, I just don't feel like it nailed it as the second coming. Of course, it probably doesn't help that I don't like Porches. *shrugs* Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad game. No by any means. It just wasn't great for me. (That doesn't mean I didn't understand the game, however)

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Need for Speed Payback Announced
13. Re: Need for Speed Payback Announced Jun 3, 2017, 01:09 Rigs

Oh, Need For Speed, what have the done to you?

*sigh*

Another franchise that I no longer get excited about when a new one is announced. The last one I 'played' was Rivals and while ok for what it was, it just didn't grab me at all. (Not to mention the whole physics being tied to the frame-rate bullshit...I hope they fired (from a cannon) the dope that thought that was a good idea! Geezus!) I still have it installed just because I felt like if maybe I gave it more time, I might grow to like it. -Eh, probably not, though.

Everyone always says that 'Porsche Unleashed' was the pinnacle of NFS and that it's been all downhill since. To be honest, I never really cared for Porsche Unleashed'! Really, I thought it was rather boring and extremely unforgiving, almost unnecessarily so. It's ok to start off but the middle of the game is a freakin' slog. And no matter how I played it, be it on the keyboard or a wheel, it was just always frustratingly hard. And don't give me that, 'oh, well maybe you're just not good enough' crap. I haven't raced around the Earth twice, both ways, uphill, in four feet of snow, but I know how to use a wheel and pedals and I know the difference between natural progression and artificial nonsense. The rival cars always seemed to 'rubber band' to you if you got too far ahead and I always seemed to spin out of get loose on the last turn if I was in first in a race. Like maddening clockwork!

In any case, it was ok but I never felt it was better than any other entry in the series. A lot of people shit on Pro-Street too and I really liked the handling in it. Plus they shook up the formula a little bit, kept it interesting. After playing Most Wanted and then Carbon, Pro-Street was a nice step sideways for the series. If it was a movie franchise, I would consider Pro-Street to be a spin-off film, the Rogue One is to Star Wars. The setup was different, the physics were different. Then they went right back to where they'd left off with Undercover. Horrible tripe. A dumbed down version of Most Wanted with horrible acting and even worse plot. Blech! But then I had hope with the two Shift entries. Those were really fun and I'd hoped they would stick with it and maybe give us a NFS/GRID/DIRT/Burnout kind of thing, taking the best aspects of each, along with a healthy dose of sim (but not too much) and let loose!

*sigh*

But no. We didn't get that. And we haven't gotten anything close to it since! And I don't seriously think this one will be any closer to that 'Holy Grail'. This series is on autopilot, which is, itself, built from the mind of a very ADHD-addled 12 year old boy. I think I'll stick with my GRID Autosport, Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, Race'07, F1 2013 and iRacing for now, thank you. (Oh, and The Crew when my internet connection is feeling especially frisky! Wacko )

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > DCS: F/A-18C Hornet Announced
8. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2017, 23:34 Rigs

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on May 31, 2017, 18:28:
snipped for sanity

I hereby give to you my 'Wall of Text'-seal of approval! Congratulations, sir! Awesome post!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Memorial Day Mobilization
3. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2017, 21:08 Rigs

Ozmodan wrote on May 29, 2017, 20:28:
Good luck trying to do 4k with a GTX 1050.

Why? I can do 4k on my i5/16gb DDR3/HD7850-1gb...I can sit here and stare at it all day, I have it set to change wallpapers once every 30 minut- oh! Wait, that's my fps in DOOM...silly me!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > More on Far Cry 5
27. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2017, 00:03 Rigs

Flatline wrote on May 27, 2017, 21:14:
DangerDog wrote on May 27, 2017, 11:30:
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help. - Ronald Reagan

If the government is so inherently evil why did Reagan work so hard to become president? I mean, the dude committed flat out treason with the Iran/Contra thing he wanted the job so bad.

'The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one' - George Washington

(Prove he didn't say it! )

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
1. RE: SF2 Super Ultra Extreme Final Turbo Championship Edition Deluxe Collectors Set - Premium Gold! May 27, 2017, 22:44 Rigs

Why would they continue to pull from a 20+ year old game that's seen multiple revisions and releases in that span of time but has been left behind for newer versions- ohhh!

$$$ Greedy $$$

I see.

=-Rigs-=

2630 Comments. 132 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo