Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2761 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 22:46 Rigs

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 18:40:
I still have a 20gb drive that runs fine to this day, though I have no uses for it Btw, how the heavens do you live with a 40GB SSD? I have a 500GB SSD and can barely get along with that, installing Total War games (Warhammer 1 and 2) alone nearly uses 30% of space. I barely got 100GB left...

I have a 1:1 backup in my NAS with HDD's from different companies and dates (to avoid exactly the issue you had) when 1 dies, I just swap out the HDD wait a few hours and all is fine. Of course the first NAS I had (Qnap) the fan died and despite having an replacement it wasn't actually the fan that died but the onboard voltage controller for the fan. I figured that out when it "smelled weird" after 10 minutes.. yay QNAP, never again!

Not fine: Defragging a 4TB HDD.. my god... yes, it is STILL needed, and it REALLY makes a HUGE fucking difference when you get beyond ~50% fragmentation and of course it takes forever (3 days for 4TB, for 8TB, I suspect it would be 12 days...)

I seem to have really good luck with HDD's though. Past 7 years 1 failed (thankfully in my 2 disc raid so aside from a wait there was no data loss). When it failed I bought 2 in a pack so I still have a replacement drive just sitting around not doing anything. You never know ;p

I have 2 mixed HDD's in my NAS because from my IT work I know that you NEVER use the same HDD made on the same day in a raid. Chances are that if they are from the same batch they have the same faults.

Heh, well, at the time 40gb was still a pretty good size SSD, in 2010. It's been my faithful OS boot disk since the beginning, typically leaving a generous 2gb's free space, just in case. Right now, with Win7x64, I have....a little more than 2gb's. Suited me fine. I will admit I was mighty tempted to swap my Mom's new 850 Evo 250gb with my 40gb. I mean she uses her computer maybe 3 or 4 times a week, mostly for banking, FB and light email. She's mostly on her iPad. (I threw both Windows7 AND Windows10 (she had 10gb of RAM but only a 32-bit version of Win7 originally, so was only using 3.5gb and it needed to be replaced with 64-bit. Since I built it, that was my fault for not looking ahead) on her system so that she could learn 10 at her own pace) In fact, I, just today, swapped monitors with her, giving her my 22" Samsung 2253BW LCD (that's 1680x1050, 16:10) and grabbing her 23.9" Dell S2309W LCD (which is 1920x1080, 16:9, full 1080p). I'd really love to get a G-sync monitor now that I have a 1050ti/4gb but it's gonna have to wait a little longer. Maybe for Christmas...lol.

Anyway, I'm dreading doing the whole defrag thing. I know it's gonna take days. Plus I need to off-load some stuff because you're 'supposed' to have at least 10% free (which would be around 200gb's on 2tb) and they're both full!

As for a NAS, I've thought about it but as with the whole RAID thing, I'm currently lacking in experience and knowledge of that particular subject. I'd thought about building a small server with some of the boards, cases and parts I have lying around, just so I could learn how to manage a server and that would require getting to know how to handle a NAS and possibly Linux, but like most projects you write on your 'to-do' list, they keep getting pushed back in exchange for more time wiping out your game backlog. Well, at least it does for me!

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
---------------------------------------
'The only way to win is not to play', huh?
Here, hold my beer...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 17:46 Rigs

*LONG STORY WARNING!*

Oh geez, the stories I could tell. Hard drives are a pet peeve of mine and have been for a while, if only because I seem to always get the shittiest bunch of drives on the face of the Earth! I'd thought, in the past, that Seagates were unstoppable, only because the ones I'd had performed very well and lasted nearly a decade. Then, in 2011, I hit a fucking wall, apparently.

I'd gotten a 2tb Western Digital as a backup drive during a new system build (what would be become the system I type this on now - 'Black Omega 2' (The first 'Black Omega', in case you're wondering, was built almost exactly a year before with a (now somewhat legendary Core2Duo E8400), right when the Core i-series came out, so, realizing it was already obsolete out of the box, I sold it to my cousin and built 'BO2' with a first-gen Core i5/750). We were moving houses at the same time and my room was a mess of containers and furniture. In my stupidity, I had it sitting externally on my desk with a long SATA cable and one late night, I snagged it with my leg and down it went onto the hard wood floor while it was copying files. It never ran after that. It would spool up, make a dreadful screech/crunch/multi-car-pileup sound and spool down again. All the files I'd copied over, nearly the whole drive by that point - gone. Oh, I was pissed! At myself, mainly. So I had it RMA'd, telling them it just died one day and had a second drive within a month. At the same time, I bought another 2tb, another Western Digital Caviar Black, near identical to the RMA'd drive. About three months after we moved and I had both drives filled to near bursting, they BOTH started acting strangely, making weird clicking sounds on occasion and one would intermittently drop from view only to come back later. From previous experience with drives that make this sound, I knew they weren't long for this world and RMA'd them both. Fast forward two years, near the end of the replacements' warranty period and they BOTH, once again, started making the same exact fucking clicking noise! I was dumbfounded! And once again, one of them, not both, would intermittently drop from sight. I couldn't believe it! So, I quickly RMA'd them both AGAIN, just getting them in about a week before the warranty on them expired. I now still have the replacements of replacements, after five years and they've run fine, though they ARE full and are in desperate need of a defragging!

I didn't consider using them in a RAID array, since I know you might be wondering that, because A. I needed the space of both B. Both had gone bad before, thus negating the reason for the RAID array to begin with and C. I didn't have any experience in doing it. Since then, I've recently lost a Seagate 500gb drive that was only two years old and another Seagate 500gb drive that was in my mother's system, that I built, that is dying, with 'reallocated sectors' and 'unrecoverable sectors', a sure sign of a dying drive.

It's not that I'm doing anything wrong, these drives just seems to die easily and out of nowhere for no reason. But then I've had drives from my P2/400 system in 1997 that still run, a 6gb Hitachi drive which runs fine, though is slow and IDE. I hope to be able to replace ALL of my drives with SSD's in the near future. I just got a Samsung 850EVO 250gb for the Seagate drive that is dying on my mother's system and the speed of it blows me away! I have a small 40gb Intel X-25 SSD from when I built BO2 and it's still going fine which I use as my primary Win7 boot drive. I don't think I'll ever be able to fully trust a mechanical hard drive again, no matter the manufacturer.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 14:12 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 09:09:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 02:07:
Dude, you gotta get a generator so you can keep us all informed via Twitter. When you go offline, we all get worried.
Even that would not help if the infrastructure is damaged like Puerto Rico.
But a generator could keep a satellite phone charged and since sat phone time is sooooo expensive Riggs would have no choice but to keep his posts succinct.

Edit: this post contains humor.

We actually had a guy down the street bring a generator about three hours before the lights came back on. 'Course we had no way of knowing that at the time, so it was a nice gesture. He just had them sitting in his storage shed, old Army generators from the 'Nam era, no joke! Pullin' that cord to get it started might rip your arm off if you have it set incorrectly, the Army don't fuck around. I keep two phones charged at all times now, plus an iPad.

When the weather pattern changes (ie, when we get our first major cold front), that usually means the end of the storm season for us. It's pretty abrupt, actually. One week you'll have storms every afternoon and it'll be humid and nasty and that cold front comes through and boom! No more afternoon thunderstorms and we're in our dry period. People are kinda shocked when they find out our rainy season is the summer months. They think Florida, it means constant sun. Not so much in the summer.

Anyway, the newest model runs have shifted the track, again, to the west and into Alabama and Louisiana. While I hate to see anyone get nailed, I'd rather not have to go through another week of no power so soon after the last time. We went two weeks in 2004 with Frances and then lost it for a week more when Jean came through a few weeks later. I don't need a repeat of that.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 19:53 Rigs

Just a heads up to those interested, we're looking down the barrel of another tropical system, soon-to-be TS/Hurricane Nate. It has a 65% chance of rapid intensification and is likely to be at least a Cat1 by landfall, not too far west of here....again. This, not even a month after Irma came smashing through. We're getting our prep done early this time and hope that the track will change or that the upper atmosphere will be too hostile for serious storm building. Only time will tell, I suppose.

In any case, my Twit is still active and I've posted the first of the tracks and our local forecast -> @MichaelRigs ... and again, if things get dicey Sunday, that's where I'll keep in touch, when I can. Even after the storm, our highs are going to be in the upper 90's for a few days with some serious humidity, so if the power does go down again, it's going to be brutal with no a/c. Someone wanna text Mother Nature and let her know it's frakkin' October already?!

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > New Star Trek Online Season
6. Re: New Star Trek Online Season Oct 4, 2017, 17:12 Rigs

I'd had such high hopes for STO...like, you have no idea. I really thought they'd go the sim route and make it like Bridge Commander only online...well, until they scrapped the original STO and went with Cryptic's version instead. While I wasn't crazy about the designs of the ships in the original version, the ideas they had about being able to walk through the whole of your ship and sit at the Captain's chair, have your own ready-room and go to the conference room with your command staff...it was everything I'd ever wanted! But, obviously, something too good to be true was...too good to be true. I understand that building something like that as a single-player experience would be quite an effort not to mention a massively multiplayer one. But still, they'd tried. After months with little progress, that version was scrapped (though there are still screens of what could have been around online) and a new one was built, which is the one we have now, albeit heavily modified over the years.

I still hold out hope that one day we'll get that Bridge Commander MMO we all want. That Star Trek VR game is a step in the right direction but it needs to be more than a novelty toy...I mean, it's 2017, surely by now we could have had that ultimate Star Trek sim? Right?

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2017, 20:24 Rigs

Haven't seen Cutter lately....oh my god, did Canada finally approve his deportation transfer to Madagascar?! (I've heard good things about Diego Garcia this time of year, too!)

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2017, 20:37.

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Emulation and the Law
24. Re: Emulation and the Law Oct 1, 2017, 20:17 Rigs

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 1, 2017, 15:52:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 1, 2017, 15:39:
"DEYYY TOOK AURRR GAMMEEEEESSS!"

They did, why would anyone wish for quake champions to be what it is? Does anyone with have a brain really think quake without the ability to mod and level edit it is "the best gaming has evar been?!"

Oh, christ, here we go with the whole Quake Champions shit again!

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Microsoft Allegiance Revival
15. Re: Microsoft Allegiance Revival Oct 1, 2017, 13:29 Rigs

Dev wrote on Oct 1, 2017, 12:26:
This is a fun story and comments!

Devinoch wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 20:01:
Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks
Host of the Starlight Society Podcast
http://tinyurl.com/starlightsociety/
Thanks for that sig, that looks like an intriguing podcast!

You see, Redeye! My rambling posts do payoff, like all the time! Ok, most of the time...occasionally...this one time, but it was pretty cool!

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 1, 2017, 08:48 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 13:32:
At work we're trying like hell to get off our IBM mainframes. Maintenance costs are killing us.

You have successfully piqued my curiosity...please, do tell!

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Emulation and the Law
11. Re: Emulation and the Law Oct 1, 2017, 08:45 Rigs

DarkCntry wrote on Oct 1, 2017, 03:54:
Suppa7 wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 21:49:
Rilcon wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 21:08:
I'd jest with the old "you must be fun at parties" quip, but I kinda doubt you get invited to any.

I could care less about your insult, the reality is all these things exists because the masses are morons. Anyone with any intelligence knew mmo's were scams from the get go. This all happened because of the normalisation of being fucked by game companies because the masses are too stupid and tech illiterate to participate in the videogame market. That's reality.

That league of legends and dota 2 are even pieces of game software entirely controlled by game companies held hostage on their servers is overwhelming proof the masses are idiots.

Pre high speed internet the stupid fucks couldn't fuck up PC gaming, post high speed internet penetration companies can simply force games to be server locked because we are nowhere near close enough to the business for there to be any fear of offices being stormed. That's the reality.

The market is a myth could only work if there was genuine way to hold these companies accountable so they couldn't produce games in this hostile way to begin with.

All I can see here is "hey you kids, get off my lawn" rhetoric.

Albeit, it's also about as asinine as you can get, seeing as MMOs were not the first server-controlled variations of gaming out there, nor was DRM some new-fangled device thought up in the last couple decades.

I also do dislike it when people resort to calling others illiterate of a subject when they, themselves, seem to be pretty lacking on knowledge in the subject.

How TF did you just write exactly what I was just thinking?! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 30, 2017, 18:39 Rigs

Wii Shop Channel shuts down in 2019.

Just as long as they keep the soundtrack...or...maybe not...

=-Rigs=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

9. Re: Microsoft Allegiance Revival Sep 30, 2017, 16:51 Rigs

Stormsinger wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 16:45:
Earth and Beyond was the online game that had three different types of experience (combat, mining and exploring), wasn't it?

This site will tell you any and everything you ever wanted to know about it far better than I ever could...

Note: If you have Flash enabled, there's an audio file that plays when the page loads and if you have your sound up high, it'll be extremely loud. Other than that, the site is extensive!

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

7. Re: Re: Microsoft Allegiance Revival Sep 30, 2017, 16:45 Rigs

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 16:41:
Rigs... get the hell out of my downstairs closet and put all my Beta CD's back in the box!

Ha! NEV-AH!

*runs out the door with armload of cds, dropping a few running down the street, cackling like a lunatic*

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

5. Re: Microsoft Allegiance Revival Sep 30, 2017, 16:32 Rigs

NKD wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 15:01:
I think I remember participating in a beta for this game way back before its original release.

I still have my beta kit with the paperwork and NDA from MS! (I keep a record of all the games I beta test, now getting close to 125 (123 to be exact, the last was War In The West' by Matrix and on-going, constant testing of 'Empyrion') over twenty-odd years) I wish they would bring back 'Earth and Beyond'! I fuckin' LOVED that game! And they shut it down so quick, I never understood why? It was so cool! If any game needs to be revived, it's that!

EDIT: I just found out there's an emulator for it! OMG! OMG! OMG!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2017, 16:42.

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Battle.net Mobile App
6. Re: Battle.net Mobile App Sep 27, 2017, 16:30 Rigs

*robotic voice* Oh, yay...I needed this in my life. Thank you, Blizzard.

=-Rigs-=

Disclaimer: If you, for some reason, find my post offensive, you're invited to let me know here. Be sure to LIKE, subscribe and if you really like me, donate to my Patreon. Thanks for being swell!

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Halo Wars 2: Awakening The Nightmare Released
1. Re: Halo Wars 2: Awakening The Nightmare Released *SPOILERS!* Sep 27, 2017, 12:39 Rigs

I can sum up this expansion like so:

'Brother! Get that <turret, defense, thing> working!'

'Brother! I'm an idiot and released the Flood!'

'Yes, Brother!, you're an idiot, but you're my Brother!, I won't leave you behind!'

'FALL BACK!!!'

'The Flood are infinite and unstoppable!'

'We stopped the Flood!'

Atriox: 'Clean up your mess and then you will have to deal with ME!'

THE END.

*ugh* Who writes this schlock?!? I thought the idea of going back to 'High Charity', which crashed on The Ark in Halo3, was great! You could do so much with it, like showing what happened to the billions of Covenant that were living there. (Especially the San-Shyuum (Prophets), who haven't been seen or heard from since the end of HALO3) Granted, you go there in HALO3, but you don't see much. This was a chance to see it in glorious BLUR cinematics. And the idea that The Ark's monitor had Sentinels erect a giant shield around the crash site to keep the Flood in was a great story device, too. But...they do absolutely nothing with it! Nothing. You get there, burn a hole, let the Flood out and then it's a constant running retreat. It's shown that the Sentinels are turned off before they get to High Charity, but apparently only in that area. Where's the monitor? Where's the Sentinels in the rest of the Ark? Surely they would have detected a breach? And we never go back to High Charity. I had hoped you could after your retreat and small victory of that Flood...thing. But, alas, no. Atriox shows up, gives you hell, foretells your death when you're done cleaning up the rest of the outbreak and it's done. Where are the humans? What are they doing this whole time? You run into one scouting party that's quickly wiped out. But nothing after. And what about the end of the main game with the Guardian? Nothing.

Very disappoint.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2017, 15:53.

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Call of Duty: WWII Beta Preloads
8. Re: Call of Duty: WWII Beta Preloads Sep 26, 2017, 18:53 Rigs

Beamer wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 12:56:
Smoke Wagon wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 07:08:
I've heard that PC MP is limited. Like, 6 vs 6 or some crazy crap like that. Is that true? I thought/hoped COD WWII would have at least 32 person mp (maybe even 64?)...?

On the flip side, if you want that, you can play that. Battlefield offers it. Some people still prefer smaller experiences. I personally hate Battlefield, but love Counter Strike. CoD is more akin to old DM games, with smaller maps and smaller battles. One person can have a big impact, and it's a blast. Put me there with 63 other people and I get bored.

I don't think I'll ever forget playing the original 'Battlefront 2' online on the (I think) the Bespin map with max players and there was one meeting point on the whole map, which you could hear all the way from the spawn point. Sounded like a munitions factory going up - constantly. I couldn't even get close, was either sniped off a platform or blown all the way back to the spawn platform by one of about a million explosives...

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 26, 2017, 02:19 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 13:26:
NKD wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 08:40:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 04:28:
NKD wrote on Sep 24, 2017, 21:52:
Still J.R.E.

What were you expecting, the Spanish Inquisition?

Okay I guess my reference was a BIT obscure.

I should have gotten that reference, given I spent a few years listening to Dre and Snoop.

Heh...back in Christmas '93, I asked my Mom for DRE, Snoop and Stone Temple Pilots' 'Core' album (yeah, I'm one of those weird ones that listens to all sorts of music...I can listen to heavy metal one minute and smooth jazz (straight off The Weather Channel itself!) the next). She got me DRE and Snoop but refused to get me STP because of the image on the back of the cd (I'm assuming it's Scott Weiland's naked back as he crawled in a fetal position) and the fact the first two tracks are 'Dead and Bloated' and 'Sex Type Thing'. Drugs, pimps, hoes = good...death, sex and trippin' balls = bad! Got it, Mom!

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Depth Free Weekend
5. Re: Depth Free Weekend Sep 24, 2017, 19:07 Rigs

I just want an updated remake of 'Sea Rogue'! Anyone ever play that? God, that would be so cool! And we could add in realistic ocean bottom wrecks like battleships, aircraft carriers, the Titanic, the Yamato, the Bismark! Maybe have a tripped-out mode where you wander into the Bermuda Triangle and get transported to some alien land a la 'Subnautica'? Or you run into the crashed wreckage of Flight 370 or Amelia Earhart's plane? So many possibilities...

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 23, 2017, 23:35 Rigs

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 18:19:
WaltC wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 11:55:
For most Mac users, booting up is a "complex" endeavor...;)

Maybe, but there's a not insignificant subset of Mac users for whom a complex endeavor consists of writing a feature extractor that computes the cosine similarity of the vector space of WiFi MAC address/normalized RSSI tuples for use in a reinforcement learning ML model to infer optimal reporting rates in another module. That subset of Mac users are called software engineers, and they use a Mac because they need a Unix/Linux system in order to be able to do the aforementioned complex endeavor, and underneath the glossy exterior, MacOS is a standards compliant Unix system.

Uhhh...thanks for that...

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

2761 Comments. 139 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo