Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2159 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
41. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2016, 19:08 Rigs

I lurked for the first few years but my account says 9-10-2002...Happy Anniversary! We need a cool 20th logo! So many sites have closed or opened and THEN shut down in that time...to be the only gaming news site out there that isn't owned by some corporate conglomerate...you must be doing something right, Blue! How about another 20?! I'll be here...

=-Rigs-=

'...and from about the half-point onward, I only ever died from forgetting where I put my own land mines...'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Nox for Free
16. Re: Nox for Free Jul 2, 2016, 23:01 Rigs

What is it with some of you and these apps? Let me give away how old I am (or feel, as it were ) by remembering the shit storm that came around when STEAM was released. Ah, it was the end of everything, the world as we knew it, yes? *looks out window* We seem to still be here, though. And now STEAM is lauded. Funny how that works. But, I pretend to hear you think, that's the 'devil we know', Origin and uPlay will be the destroyer of us all! Really? Will it, though? Let's throw in iTunes and GOG Galaxy and we have the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse! Here's the rub...I've had all of them installed on my system for quite a long time now and I haven't had one bit of trouble from any of them. Me thinks someone is letting their hate for the companies behind the apps to show through and sour the experience. If you can use STEAM, I see almost no reason why anyone would have a problem with uPlay or Origin. Yeah, it sucks you have to use them, but just convince yourself they're a rebranded STEAM and have fun! Don't castrate yourself for the sake of virtue. Go ahead...no one's watching...

=-Rigs-=

'...and from about the half-point onward, I only ever died from forgetting where I put my own land mines...'

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Xbox Fitness Sunset Announcement Jun 29, 2016, 15:36 Rigs

Those people are pissed! 'Course, I probably would be too. I can't believe that in all of MS's gaming departments, they couldn't find some unpaid intern to put together Xbox Fitness as a downloadable single-player...thing. No one is saying they want more content (I mean, they do but...), just stuff it together in one package and let them download what they already paid for, MS! Geezus on a cracker, this isn't rocket science! I'm guessing MS doesn't think consumers will remember every time they piss on their customers to save a buck? This doesn't just hurt them, it hurts any product that has a possibility of being shut down with no on-system content. MMO's are one thing and understandable, but this is something else entirely! You're not just fucking over these few customers, MS, you're screwing with the trust of millions for that NEXT 'software-as-a-service'...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Anarchy Online Turns 15
22. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 15 Jun 28, 2016, 01:44 Rigs

Good god, there's probably kids playing it now that weren't born yet when it was launched! Same for WoW! Geezus, is this what it's like to get old? I turn 38 in two weeks and it's really freakin' depressing...

=-Rigs-=

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 00:50 Rigs

Task wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 23:54:
Late Night News:

8 Minutes of System Shock Gameplay - 2016 Reboot From the demo being released tomorrow.

Wow, this is looking really good! Even for an alpha, it has some nice aesthetics! I never played the first System Shock (yeah, yeah, I know...no you can't cut up my GamerCard) but I recently made a run through the second one (up until the later stages where I got bogged down a bit and then totally forgot about it because Fallout4 came out). I could imagine that when it came out, it would have been quite the unique game (and can only assume the first one was the same in terms of ground breaking gameplay) but now, in 2016, it just feels like any other FPS with RPG elements. This new reboot looks really good, though, and I think I might just be interested in giving it a go...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Rise of the Terrans Released
14. Re: Civilizations III Rise of the Terrans Released Jun 18, 2016, 00:53 Rigs

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 14:29:
MattyC wrote on Jun 16, 2016, 03:53:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 22:59:
I contracted on Civ III back in 2001- it would be amazingly awesome if they released an expansion for it 15 years later, but I think we used 3dsmax4... not sure if that's Windows 10 compatible.

Unless something has changed or I am slowly going crazy you could render the units (if that is what you are talking about) however you wanted. It was still more or less sprite based. You could create 3d models and use those as the basis for sprites, but what you ended up using was just PCX files w/ transparency ini files, and flc files IIRC. Flc was an autodesk format, but they didn't lock it down like .max. Again, this is just what I remember from playing around with modding the game so I could be off after so many years.

Those sprites were made by rendering the 3d models + animations though with very specific guidelines, and recreating those is like remaking the entire art assets. And since then max format changed considerably...

What you see as modder is the output of the render pipeline, the actual art assets were 3d models that were then polished up post export. Recreating that is near impossible even with the source files... so an addon for civ 3 would be pretty much impossible to actually do nowadays. well... at least if you wanted matching art styles.

Ah, never underestimate the modding geek god with a 2001-era DELL/HP/Gateway P2/450, decked out with a Diamond Stealth S220 and two Diamond Monster3D-2 Voodoo2's in SLI with comparable rendering software sitting in the corner waiting for just a job such as this, my friend! We're out there and we're just waiting for the opportunity...

=-Rigs-=

13. Re: Civilizations III Rise of the Terrans Released Jun 18, 2016, 00:48 Rigs

Quboid wrote on Jun 16, 2016, 09:22:
Rigs wrote on Jun 16, 2016, 05:52:
Slashman wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 22:51:
Yahoo, the most boring space 4x I've ever played just expanded.

Yes, the obligatory 'This game is boring' quote...we get it, some of you don't like it. What a shock. This isn't really need-to-know information...

EDIT: That doesn't give you permission to go back through my comments to find some superfluous posts, too...btw...

=-Rigs-=

That's not even a 4x game, it's a search engine. No wonder he found it boring. :-)

~ZING! Hahaha...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing
8. Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 18, 2016, 00:44 Rigs

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 23:32:
Rigs wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 23:17:
So, for someone that's just recently gotten into RPG's in a major way (was always a sim/strategy/wargamer), would you recommend Evercrac...I mean, Everquest? I know it's old, I know it's history. I was around when it started but never felt much need to play it until I got onto this RPG kick last year (helped by Fallout4, Wasteland2, DwarfFortress, The Witcher3 et al.) but seeing how it IS an older game and seemingly legendary in it's genre, I thought maybe I'd jump in to see what it was all about while I still had the chance. Curiously enough, I was interested and signed up for the Everquest Landmark thing which apparently bit the dust. And for some reason, I have absolutely no urge to play WoW whatsoever. Medieval setting with magic, fine. Fantasy setting with medieval and magic on-top, not quite my cup of tea. I tend to go with the more 'realistic' of the fantasy types. If that makes any sense...I guess it stems from my 'Realist' roots, I can't get my mind to just forget the fact that anthropomorphic ninja pandas are a thing and just go with it... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

Actually, Everquest Next bit the dust. Landmark just went to 1.0 status a week or so ago.

https://www.landmarkthegame.com/about-landmark

Not really a rpg per se, more like a prettier looking Minecraft.

Ah, right, 'Next'...shows how much I really pay attention, that's what I meant. I forgot there was two new...sequels? spin offs? variations? ...of Everquest coming out. Thanks for the correction!

MUGWUMP wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 00:11:
Don't get Landmark. It's amazing they're actually still selling it. I think it's a crime. It's not a game. It's a tech demo.

As for Everquest... It's where I "popped the cherry" so to speak, with mmos. So many awesome memories. But that was so many years ago. If it's the same experience as it was near the beginning then I say hell yea go for it, but I'm tempted to believe it's only harcore people still playing so you won't get the vanilla experience of traveling from Qeynos to Freeport for the first time. It was actually scary. Especially knowing that if you die and you can't get back to your corpse in time you lose everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpmgqIq-s0s

So many memories :p

Well, I might dip my toes in just to see what it's about and to say that, yes, I did play Everquest when my grandkids hear about it in a YoutubeXL 2100 online gaming history documentary 30 years from now...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: SourceForge under new management. Jun 18, 2016, 00:28 Rigs

NetHead wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 13:18:
Nice to see SourceForge may end up okay, or even useful and pleasant once more.

What they were previously doing was disgusting, though the new owners do seem sincere about righting that mess. Guess time will tell.

I would like a nice write-up on what exactly fucking happened! And how it got to be that way! I mean, it was the main err, source for many apps that you could find nowhere else and someone just came in and ruined the whole damn thing, practically overnight. And it stayed like that! No community backlash, no official inquiry - nothing. Unbelievable that something like that can happen in this day and age with such a well known and oft-used site...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 17, 2016, 23:30 Rigs

Creston wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 22:03:
Iow, CBS / Paramount are still being giant cockwallets.

Indeed, Comrade Creston, but that's not much of a shock, ja? I couldn't really get into the whole 'Prelude' video anyway. They had the talent, the budget, the cgi was first-rate (eh, to a point) but for some reason, it just felt like the actors were trying to hard to be...dramatic. Not in a 'chewing the scenery' way (well, except for ol' Apollo...as a Klingon, of all things!) but in a 'let's build up the tension by giving very detailed exposition while hitting just about every damn cliche we can on the way there!' It sounded like they were reading lines from a script. Not talking like they were recalling a memory. It just took me right out of it. Especially when they detailed their 'plan'. Everyone knew what everyone else was thinking, feeling, doing and recalled it with perfect clarity. I'm lucky if I can remember where the hell I left my keys when I came home last night! It's just not realistic. Yeah, I know, it's sci-fi, not reality. But I like a little real with my -fi, thank you!

Regardless, CBS are still asshats and that will never change...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing
3. Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 17, 2016, 23:17 Rigs

So, for someone that's just recently gotten into RPG's in a major way (was always a sim/strategy/wargamer), would you recommend Evercrac...I mean, Everquest? I know it's old, I know it's history. I was around when it started but never felt much need to play it until I got onto this RPG kick last year (helped by Fallout4, Wasteland2, DwarfFortress, The Witcher3 et al.) but seeing how it IS an older game and seemingly legendary in it's genre, I thought maybe I'd jump in to see what it was all about while I still had the chance. Curiously enough, I was interested and signed up for the Everquest Landmark thing which apparently bit the dust. And for some reason, I have absolutely no urge to play WoW whatsoever. Medieval setting with magic, fine. Fantasy setting with medieval and magic on-top, not quite my cup of tea. I tend to go with the more 'realistic' of the fantasy types. If that makes any sense...I guess it stems from my 'Realist' roots, I can't get my mind to just forget the fact that anthropomorphic ninja pandas are a thing and just go with it... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

8. Re: Civilizations III Rise of the Terrans Released Jun 16, 2016, 05:52 Rigs

Slashman wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 22:51:
Yahoo, the most boring space 4x I've ever played just expanded.

Yes, the obligatory 'This game is boring' quote...we get it, some of you don't like it. What a shock. This isn't really need-to-know information...

EDIT: That doesn't give you permission to go back through my comments to find some superfluous posts, too...btw...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Trek: Bridge Crew Announcement
10. Re: Star Trek: Bridge Crew Announcement Jun 14, 2016, 20:24 Rigs

Dammit, the JJ-version... *sigh* ...I hope you can mod some TNG or TMP goodness into it. More importantly, I noticed that they're using the same logo for the game that they are for the new 2017 series (and it's by the same CBS group), and there's been speculation whether it will be a 'Prime'-universe show or from the JJ-version...this doesn't bode well for us 'Prime' fanatics. I won't lie, I like the new ST movies for what they are and 'Beyond' looks pretty good too, but I'd really like to bury this whole alternate timeline and get back to the 'real' one as fast as possible. You know they're going to eventually do it once the new movies stop getting cranked out. The sooner, the better...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Trek VR Game Plans
14. Re: Star Trek VR Game Plans Jun 14, 2016, 15:13 Rigs

Creston wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 18:10:
SlimRam wrote on Jun 12, 2016, 22:42:
Task wrote on Jun 12, 2016, 13:09:
I wish it would simulate beyond just the bridge like going on away missions in shuttles or via transporter.
Or to Deanna Troi's quarters *RAWR*

*pre-orders immediately*

I was always a Beverly Crusher-type myself...hmm, to each their own, I suppose...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Countdown
6. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Countdown Jun 6, 2016, 20:17 Rigs

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 19:28:
To be honest, graphics weren't the only problem of that "game".. since there was barely anything to actually do and all these fancy systems were so halfheartedly implemented... doubt this one is going to be better on that front.

Funny you say that...I've had Watch Dogs installed on my hard drive for over a year now and I've played it a sum total of maybe an hour. It was back before I updated my system's BIOS and was having major lock-up problems. So I would get disgusted when my frame rate tanked and then the whole system locked up tight while driving around. I never did go back to it until a couple weeks ago I noticed it still sitting there and, for some reason, felt really guilty for not playing it again. It had been a gift (of sorts...or a hand-me-down, if you will), a game my geek-in-arms friend no longer wanted because it wasn't the GTA-killer he believed it was to be. (Don't get me started with him and A:CM!) So I had no attachment to it, no real reason to feel bad, yet I did. So I loaded it up the other night and started playing it. I got through the first 'mission' after the intro and back to the apartment and then started running around after 'evil-doers' doing evil things, handing out vigilante justice as I saw fit. Sometimes I did it in time, sometimes I didn't. I can say I was entertained. I mean, that is the point of games, when you get right down to it, right? And, yes, it was entertaining. But as you said above, there were many things on my map but nothing stuck out. It reminded me very much of Far Cry 4...I wonder why?...

When I play Fallout4, even when I go on a mission/quest, I tend to get lured away on some side thing. Maybe there's AI duking it out, maybe I run into Raiders or Super Mutants or Gunners. Sometimes I just explore and go into buildings I've never been to. There's always something out there for me to do, even after 145 hours in!

With Watch Dogs, I didn't get that feeling...like at all. I felt like I was there and the game couldn't care less. I'm still gonna tough it out some and try to make this game fun but all that hype and all those resources and >I< have to make the game fun?! FFS...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Countdown
4. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Countdown Jun 6, 2016, 20:05 Rigs

Creston wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 19:16:
Prepare to be absolutely blown away by graphics beyond your comprehension, only to have the final game look like Spelunky.

*tries to click on 'Like' and upvote in vain*

Dammit! C'mon, Blue, let's jazz up the discussions for the 21st century a little already, ja? I'm still waiting for my background gradients, too... *sigh*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > No Man's Sky Delayed?
66. Re: No Man's Sky Delayed? May 31, 2016, 04:14 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on May 29, 2016, 23:35:
Woof! Tough times. When it rains it pours, eh?

As jdreyer mentioned, you might want to speak with a lawyer. The laws vary from state to state but two weeks notice seems very short. I wouldn't be surprised if your tenant rights were violated.

Good luck on finding another place -- hopefully the next landlord won't be be a dick.

Thanks...yeah, definitely going to be a little more careful this time around. But if I told you all the BS that's gone down over the last five months, you'd swear I was being dramatic and making shit up as I went. This year has just been one big clusterfuck...

No point in trying to bother with court over a few less days. It's only putting off the inevitable anyway. We'll be able to get done by the deadline. Do I like it? Fuck no. Do I hope karma comes back to bite them in the ass later and they get the worst tenant they've ever had to deal with? You better believe it!

=-Rigs-=

64. Re: No Man's Sky Delayed? May 29, 2016, 21:36 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on May 28, 2016, 20:17:
Rigs wrote on May 27, 2016, 20:32:
Ah, I see what you did there...well, not literally...

While my list seems extensive and I do have 4 terabytes worth of games installed (I usually only have about 100gb of free space at any one time), I've had very little time lately to play since having to move out of my home of five years within two weeks. You ever want something that will put a serious crimp in your gaming habit, that'll do it. Five years, never missed or was late on a rent payment. 14 days to get out. Pro tip: don't rent a house from assholes. Hell, don't rent period. I was 131 hours into my FO4 play through and have had to put it on indefinite hold while I scramble with RL bullshit. But at least I know I'll have something to play when I finally get the chance to do so. So don't feel too bad, there's some out there that know almost exactly how you feel!

I don't know about FL, but there are laws in my state that 45 days notice must be given.

The law in FL for a monthly rental is 15 days. Weekly rental is 7 days. This page here explains it a little better...

Mr. Tact wrote on May 27, 2016, 22:07:
Rigs wrote on May 27, 2016, 20:32:
Five years, never missed or was late on a rent payment. 14 days to get out.
Wow, that's pretty shitty. It's been 11 years since I last rented, but never had a bad experience like that. If it makes you feel better owning isn't all good either. There's always another thing to deal with. Overall I prefer not having people living on the other side of wall from me more than I dislike the down sides, but it isn't paradise.

It's shitty alright. And it couldn't have come at a worse time, either. My mother is elderly and has been in steady decline with a bad aortic valve in her heart that needs surgery. Due to other factors, she hasn't been able to get that surgery and the problem is now also damaging her kidneys. This year has been extremely rough for a number of reasons that I won't go into detail about but we were finally making some progress in getting the surgery process in motion. In fact, we had just come home from one of the doctors involved in it the day they called to tell us we had to leave. So now we have to put everything on hold while we scramble to get our stuff packed, find a truck and movers (for all intents and purposes, it's just my mother and I and I can't lift everything on my own, she's too frail and sick to help nor would I let her), a storage unit and get everything moved. We haven't even begun to look for another house, we haven't had a chance. So, come the end of this week, we'll be staying at a motel, effectively homeless until we find another place. I don't say this for pity or to be dramatic, I say it to emphasize how absolutely crazy and what total bullshit it is, when it doesn't have to be and could have been avoided. The landlord and realtor that handles our rental know my mothers condition but it just doesn't matter to them whatsoever.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on May 29, 2016, 22:52.

1. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2016, 17:41 Rigs

Don't forget (former) Tropical Storm Bonnie spinning it's heels, having just crossed onto the South Carolina coast. It's been downgraded to a Tropical Depression and it'll probably stay that way or become a little weaker as it slowly moves it's way up the Eastern Seaboard. The way it looks now, we'll still be talking about this thing at the end of the week and it probably won't be going back out to sea until Thursday - Friday time frame. While it's weakened and been downgraded, it's physical appearance in satellite pictures has become more impressive...somehow. Don't take my word for it, though, have a look for yourself! (Be quick about it, though, it's a visible satellite picture (as opposed to infrared) and the sun is going down) There's more rain coverage and the convective cloud cover around the center of the circulation has become much more robust. Impressive little storm for so early in the season. This is the second pre-season storm this year. (Sub)Tropical Storm Alex formed out in the far eastern Atlantic in January, during the height of the El Nino` season, of all times. Strange times, we live in...strange times...

Oh, and for the record, it's currently 92 with a heat index of 109 here and our humidity and dew point is hovering at a crotch-soaking 80% and 75, respectively. Ugh.

=-Rigs-=

58. Re: No Man's Sky Delayed? May 27, 2016, 20:32 Rigs

Pr()ZaC wrote on May 27, 2016, 16:00:
Rigs wrote on May 27, 2016, 13:56:

Yup, I play Factorio quite often, actually. I also play Prison Architect, RimWorld, Balrum, 7DaysToDie, Project Zomboid, Stonehearth, Gnomoria, Dwarf Fortress (Adventure Mode mainly), Sanctuary RPG, Big Pharma, Caves of Qud, Duskers, Space Engineers, Medieval Engineers, Minecraft and The Long Dark quite a bit as well...

=-Rigs-=

I don't even have time to play with myself anymore

Ah, I see what you did there...well, not literally...

While my list seems extensive and I do have 4 terabytes worth of games installed (I usually only have about 100gb of free space at any one time), I've had very little time lately to play since having to move out of my home of five years within two weeks. You ever want something that will put a serious crimp in your gaming habit, that'll do it. Five years, never missed or was late on a rent payment. 14 days to get out. Pro tip: don't rent a house from assholes. Hell, don't rent period. I was 131 hours into my FO4 play through and have had to put it on indefinite hold while I scramble with RL bullshit. But at least I know I'll have something to play when I finally get the chance to do so. So don't feel too bad, there's some out there that know almost exactly how you feel!

=-Rigs-=

2159 Comments. 108 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo