Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 3083 (Veteran)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Breach Announced
1. Re: Breach Announced Aug 21, 2018, 14:52 Rigs

Damn, saw the title and was hoping this was a remake of the ol' DOS game by Impressions and Omnitrend! I used to play both Breach 2 and 3 back in 1993 on my IBM PS/1 486SX/25, along with the absolutely >excellent< starship and fleet simulator, Rules of Engagement 2. RoE2 and Breach 2/3 used to be able to link together, so that when you boarded an enemy vessel in RoE2, you'd go into Breach 2/3 and play out the squad-based RTS portion, then when done, you'd go back to RoE2 to finish out the rest of the mission! It was totally awesome and I still play it occasionally since this kind of unique setup hasn't really replicated or surpassed since then.

Since neither the dev nor the publisher exist anymore (and haven't for quite a while), I wonder who has the rights to RoE and Breach? Shame that games like this sit around unnoticed and unremembered when I'm sure there's plenty in the last couple generations that would love to play something like ROE and Breach 2/3 and they probably have no idea they ever existed. *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2018, 15:37.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shenmue III Next August
1. Re: Shenmue III Next August Aug 21, 2018, 13:47 Rigs

Past experience has taught me that when a game's release date is announced so far ahead of time, it's, IMO, to give the devs/publishers a buffer in case they need to delay it. For instance, the release is 8-29-19 but if, in January or February, they feel they need to delay it for some reason, no one is going to really complain about a month or three when the release is still have a year away to begin with...RDR2 is a prime example of this, as was GTA5, though I did have a fit whenever that was delayed, especially when it came to the PC release...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Dying Light: Bad Blood Early Access Next Month
6. Re: Dying Light: Bad Blood Early Access Next Month Aug 20, 2018, 12:28 Rigs

Instead of chasing trends, I would be more than happy for another single-player expansion like 'The Following'...assuming, of course, they at least find someone competent enough to write a decent ending. I'm sorry, I harp on this point almost every time Dying Light is mentioned but that ending was just...absolute fucking >garbage!< Like hot mess garbage! I loved both the original and The Following but that ending just totally ruins almost everything it built up. Knowing the ending, why would anyone, story-wise, want to go back and play it again?! The lore and the world are so well thought out, it's just a slap in the face when the ending comes. In fact, I never actually 'finished' The Following because I'd seen the ending on a YT video and I refused to do it. It was stupid, lazy and flew in the face of the huge foundation they'd built up until that point (again, story-wise).

Now if we could get a retconned ending and another single-player outing, say back in the city of Harran, maybe a prequel when the outbreak happened or a time jump to a few months after the events of 'The Following' (where that awful ending was maybe just a bad fever dream), I'd slap down money on the table, right here, right now without hesitation. But a BR-style F2P multiplayer only expansion? No. Fucking. Thank you!

I guess I'm just gonna have to cool my heels until DL2 comes out of the shop...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2018, 09:09.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 09:28 Rigs

A 2070 looks like a huge bargain at the purported $400! The only problem I see with it (not including that it's not true) is supply, as has been stated. Even with the prices going down on the older cards, I think it'll be extremely hard to find any decently priced new cards before the new year, to be honest. I could be wrong (and probably am), I'm just goin' with experience. I don't know why, when announcing cards they know are going to fly off the shelves (even despite the crypto bubble bursting), they don't wait until they have sufficient stock to put out? Yes, yes, it's hard to anticipate exactly what demand will be and it takes some time to manufacture 'retail version' product, but still...who in their right mind is going to tell nVidia they should 'take it easy' when introducing a new series?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Dead Living Zombies This Month
3. Re: Far Cry 5 Dead Living Zombies This Month Aug 17, 2018, 19:05 Rigs

Was that a Blood Dragon at the end of the video?! OMG, what I wouldn't give for another romp through that world! C'mon, Ubi, you clearly love money so why aren't you doing Blood Dragon 2? Or a full fledged Blood Dragon game? Geez, I get all hot and bothered just thinking about what a total $60 triple-A Blood Dragon game would look like! WTF is wrong with you publishers? Between you and *Rockstar, I'm beginning to think you're just trolling the fuck out of us PC gamers...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Citizen Ground Battle Video
8. Re: Star Citizen Ground Battle Video Aug 3, 2018, 13:23 Rigs

Had this been a thing in 2013 or 2014 when it was >supposed to<, then I'd be rightfully hyped but now in 2018 with no release in sight? No. Sorry. I want to be amazed, really! I want to feel that sense of wonder I did way back in 1998 when I saw X: BTF (when it was a mere tech demo) running on a Pentium Pro/200 in Circuit City! I want that so bad but this just doesn't do it. X4 will probably be released before SC is and it will have nearly everything SC does but you don't see hundreds of millions pouring into Egosoft's coffers, do you? The people that really want to see something like this happen just quietly sit and get it done, without the PR grandstanding. That's how you know what their priorities are. Robert's is too busy showing off that he could do it to actually go and get it done. Basically, Chris Roberts is the Elon Musk of the games industry.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > GameFly Ending Streaming Service
1. Re: GameFly Ending Streaming Service Aug 2, 2018, 19:07 Rigs

Gamefly still exists?!? Well slap my ass and call me Spanky! I thought they were long gone...huh...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Madden NFL 19 PC Gameplay Footage
3. Re: Madden NFL 19 PC Gameplay Footage Aug 2, 2018, 15:29 Rigs

I'll be really impressed when the janky-ass animation matches the realistic texture work. It's like even with mo-cap, there's not enough blending of the different animations and it looks...well, janky. I mean, we're not playing on 486's or PS1 anymore. Lets really push the hardware instead of relying on just the stats and the show...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2018, 15:35 Rigs

sauron wrote on Jul 27, 2018, 14:10:
Beamer wrote on Jul 27, 2018, 11:55:
I should clarify this likely needs to be same-screen, as we have a Macbook air, a Surface Pro, and a powerful desktop that's Steamlinked to the TV.

And a lot of these are great games, but require a bit more understanding of a game, or something of a learning curve. For someone that's never held a controller, it needs to be pretty easy.

Portal 2 is amazing, but probably Gaming 201. Minecraft could be cool, and probably works on the Surface. It takes some learning, but it's a fun way to go. I still think it may be too advanced to start.

My girls and I started out on Torchlight 2. They were just kids at the time but they had an absolute blast. Pretty much no learning curve at all.

Other than that, pretty much any game by Nintendo works great. Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart. Or just taking turns playing Zelda:BOTW - so cinematic that it's almost as fun to watch as it is to play.

Well, I guess a game like Hatred or the first Postal are out, eh? I was going to nominate Portal as well. You know, whenever I have like a half an hour to play something, I always convince myself to play a mindless shooter because I think that I don't have the time and brain-storage commitment to learn the controls of a more involved game but sometimes I'll start up something like War In The East (yes, the Matrix wargame) or Elite Dangerous and realize that while there's a few mins commitment, yes, once you get it down, it's just as easy as anything else. That's not to say to put her in DCS: A-10 with a RiFT on for starters. (Though I'd be curious of her reaction to doing a preflight checklist before ever even moving...lol!) I actually had my daughter playing racing sims like GRID and she did pretty well first time out. She was also going for her real license, so she was motivated to learn all she could, especially when it came to driving a manual trans (something I >still< can't do). Basically, what I'm saying is don't underestimate their ability to catch on quick even if they haven't played.

As for that oldest person dying, I've always told myself that if I make it to 2050 (when I'll be 78), I'll be content. I just turned 40, so if I manage to hold out, I have roughly another 40 years left, so I'm half done. I'm kinda jealous of my daughter, though. She was born in 1997 and she plays her cards right, she may just make it to see 2100. I can't imagine what this world will be like then!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 27, 2018, 15:21 Rigs

Pigeon wrote on Jul 27, 2018, 13:48:
ForgedReality wrote on Jul 27, 2018, 13:17:
I never fucking liked that guy. Annoying af. Whenever one of his dumb videos would accidentally play in my YouTube, I would instantly close it. Fuck that piece of shit. What is the appeal of him anyway? Honestly.

Stupid people like other stupid people because it normalizes their stupidity and there are a lot of stupid people out there.

Are we talking about PewDiePie or Alex Jones (InfoWars)? Maybe both? I thought the videos were taken off Youtube, not Facebook?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Multiplayer Delay on GOG.com
35. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Multiplayer Delay on GOG.com Jul 26, 2018, 21:00 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 15:48:
Beamer wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 15:20:
First, you are outraged.

So now you're a psychologist and a lawyer? That's pretty impressive. Is there anything else you do? Astronaut? Wall Street Broker? Best selling author?

Second, GoG knew. Files would have been passed at least a week prior.

Again, that's not the point of my initial comment. You do not get to stir the discussion to an off-topic idea. I control where it goes. It's my comment.

Third, I brought up GoG.

Again, not the point of my initial comment and an irrelevant side thought. I'm talking apples, and you want to discuss oranges. I'm not going to talk about oranges. You can keep talking oranges if you wish, but start another comment and express that as your opinion.

You called me obtuse, but when I asked if you assign blame to GoG, you said you assigned it "solely" to Murray.

Because I never explicitly stated that. You're creating a conclusion based on something that does not exist.

That word, solely, means you believe 100% of the blame is theirs. If they get all the blame, you assign GoG none.

Again, based on a comment that did not have that meaning.

But yes, you're outraged.

You're entitled to your wrong opinion.

Want to keep going?

And yet nothing you replied with had any bearing on the actual subject, that being about NMS, you merely replied to a reply in regards to it's relevancy of your post. Once again, you don't refute anything said, I don't even think you actually read it. You pick out the personal attacks and then focus on them. I don't know if you're doing it as a defensive ploy or you don't know any better. I have no problem with discussing the actual subject matter but you don't keep to the topic. You just push the same narrative over and over. This doesn't win arguments, it just annoys your opponent until they get tired of replying, as I did. C'mon, man, you can do better than that!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > GOG.com Extending No Man's Sky Refunds
39. Re: GOG.com Extending No Man's Sky Refunds Jul 26, 2018, 17:33 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 16:49:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 16:42:
How do you figure that's the message? If anything it's the opposite, "you can continue to do shitty things and we'll pick up the tab for goodwill publicity".

Because the announcement implies Hello Games refused to honor legitimate refund requests, and so the money came out of CDPR's pocket. GOG isn't CDPR's charity. It's a business and a profitable one at that (according to CDPR's annual meetings). They're not going to cool with some "manufacturer" producing shady products, lying to their customer base, and then refusing to honor refund requests. CDPR is likely going to bring a lawsuit against HG to recoup lost income. Thus, that ends the impunity in Hello Games' business practices; or at the very least stifles it greatly.

Ok, I'm bowin' out. It's obvious that no matter what is brought up, no matter how practical, it just isn't going to matter. You see big, bad Sean Murray out to fuck over everyone on purpose for...some reason. Even though there's plenty of evidence, should you take an unbiased look at it, that shows otherwise. I don't know why exactly GoG's version didn't have multi but the fact is you don't either and because of that you can't say for sure that it was malicious intent. You act like it's a far gone conclusion he's out to take money from whoever he can get it with any lie he can come up with even though everyone is scrutinizing just about everything they say and do because of past events. You don't seem to actually read what I say, you just launch into the same old tirade over and over again. So, whatever. I tried. Be salty. Don't play the game. Your loss.

=-Rigs-=

38. Re: GOG.com Extending No Man's Sky Refunds Jul 26, 2018, 17:19 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 15:57:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 15:52:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 15:34:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 15:22:
Sean Murray should be commended for being forthright and honest in his latest interview, he's only human after all.

Judith McNaught: "A lie is an affront to the soul, as well as an insult to the intelligence of the person to whom one lies." Being human doesn't include lying on a mass scale to amass millions of dollars. Most people never do that. It takes a special kind of person to do that and generally one without a conscience or a modicum of morality.

I recommend that you read Sean Murrays latest interview and stop being less like Derek Smart and more like the believer of Bronze Age Mythology you claim to be.

And I suggest you stop being a hater and infusing your loathing of my beliefs into your posts (with obvious metaphors). It's very unbecoming, not to mention invalidates any points you wish to make.

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 24, 2018, 18:49:
dayum

=-Rigs-=

22. Re: GOG.com Extending No Man's Sky Refunds Jul 26, 2018, 15:20 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 15:06:
It's indefensible. Not only does Murray run a small indie studio, but he also works on NMS as a coder. The odds of him knowing a key feature of his product would not be available on GOG before it's release is astronomically high. He knew. He absolutely knew. And he said nothing to the millions of GOG customers. He knowingly sold the product on GOG with a crucial missing feature of Next. The guy is a bona fide flim-flam swindler.

Me thinks you're blowing this way out or proportion. None of us know the details, there very well could've been something in the works, as I said originally, and maybe it just didn't pan out in the end. It could have been one of a million things. You're using NMS's past to cloud your judgement on current events and they don't have anything to do with each other. It works on PC. It works on Xbox. It works on PS4. For some reason, which we'll probably find out eventually, as we did about why NMS didn't launch the way everyone expected, it just didn't work out for GoG. Why would Murray intentionally shaft a quarter of his customers? Why would he do it intentionally at all given the backlash of before? He wouldn't. You're being hysterical.

=-Rigs-=

19. Re: GOG.com Extending No Man's Sky Refunds Jul 26, 2018, 15:03 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 14:57:
Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 11:36:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 11:13:
I'm a bit compfused. Didn't they just advertise the multiplayer bit last week? Then this week they're pulling it?

No, they're saying it won't be available on GOG for at least 6 months for some inexplicable reason. Sean Murray is just a enormous scumbag.

After today NOBODY should believe anything from Sean Murray or Hello Games. This is quite literally the second time they lied to video game consumers. As the saying goes, "Lie to me once, shame on you. Lie to me twice, shame on ME!"

Geezus, you sound like Derek Smart! I think HoSpanky said it best so far (aside from myself, of course )...

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 13:38:
But hey, better to assume someone’s doing it to be an asshole than it being a technical hurdle, right?

=-Rigs-=

18. Re: GOG.com Extending No Man's Sky Refunds Jul 26, 2018, 15:00 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 14:56:
Rigs wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 14:01:

As much as I talk about NMS, you think I didn't see that the second it dropped? Since you insist on not using the ol' /s and I can't read your mind, my question stands...
Why don't u RTFI & tell me what u think
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-20-the-big-sean-murray-interview
Or continue to be an obtuse pedant, your call.

Pot calling the kettle black, pal. You'd be wise to quit while you're ahead...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steel Division 2 Announced
2. Re: Steel Division 2 Announced Jul 26, 2018, 14:54 Rigs

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 13:16:
For just a second, I thought this was Steel Battalion.

That would have been badass, huh?

I really hope they fixed the nearly hopeless artillery AI from the first game. Able to sniff your men out to the pixel from 10,000 yards, it made the game very tedious to play after a while, especially when you thought you had a winning strategy only for it to all go downhill when the arty started thumping...Other than that, I'm all for it! The more the better...

=-Rigs-=

14. Re: GOG.com Extending No Man's Sky Refunds Jul 26, 2018, 14:01 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 13:46:
Rigs wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 13:37:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 12:55:
Dev wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 10:19:
That's awesome and classy of them to do
ditto
Sean Murray should be commended for being forthright and honest in his latest interview, he's only human after all.
Hmmm...not sure if serious..
Why don't u RTFI & tell me what u think
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-20-the-big-sean-murray-interview

As much as I talk about NMS, you think I didn't see that the second it dropped? Since you insist on not using the ol' /s and I can't read your mind, my question stands...

=-Rigs-=

11. Re: GOG.com Extending No Man's Sky Refunds Jul 26, 2018, 13:37 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 12:55:
Dev wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 10:19:
That's awesome and classy of them to do
ditto

Inquisitive Hmmm...not sure if serious...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Aces of the Luftwaffe - Squadron Takes Off
2. Re: Aces of the Luftwaffe - Squadron Takes Off Jul 26, 2018, 13:18 Rigs

I'd literally give a kidney for an updated Aces of the Pacific. The first game I ever got for a 'modern' PC. Or maybe an updated Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe? The more I talk about it, the more I want to fire up DOSBox. Used to be back then you couldn't throw a rock at a store shelf without knocking over twenty different flight combat sims. Now? Just a memory, even with all the modern computer horsepower that could make some really good flight combat sims if someone came around with some creativity. It just boggles my mind that when we had severe limitations on CPU and MEMORY, devs worked their asses off to squeeze in as much as they could for an authentic experience on something like a 12mhz 386 and yet with a Core i7 or i9, 16GIGS of DDR4 and a GX1080/11gb available to work with, we have all of three combat sims to choose from. It's seriously heartbreaking...

I'll be totally honest, a lot of my love and enthusiasm for the PC gaming genre has been lost over the last few years. I just don't feel the wonder and anticipation of new games like I did back in the 90's anymore. Back then, I couldn't wait to see what the new racing sim or combat sim would be and how it would play and look. Now, it's just all the same. Just iterations on previous designs. No creativity, no risks...no heart. I thought maybe VR might have been the thing to reinvigorate the industry but I feel that what they started with just wasn't amazing enough to capture the casual audience that they need. It has promise and maybe in a few years, once they get good enough optics and get rid of that limited field of view and the screen door effect, more people will be willing to put the money down and that will stir new growth in the genre but it has to actually survive to that point and right now it's stagnating, along with the rest of the industry. Sigh

=-Rigs-=

3083 Comments. 155 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo