Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2989 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2018, 23:41 Rigs

Hmm, I don't get it. STEAM has the Witcher3 GOTY on sale for $20, which is really good for those that don't have it yet but then I see that they have the original version (without the expansions) for $20 also, which is also on sale. WTF? Why would anyone grab that when they can get the whole thing for the same price? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Bus Simulator 18 in June
6. Re: Bus Simulator 18 in June Apr 9, 2018, 15:09 Rigs

El Pit wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 15:00:
Get off my bus, you punks!

Make it a school bus game where after the first week at work, the driver turns into an alcoholic who has daydreams of nuking the school from orbit.

Hmmm, I suspect there's some true trauma stories in there somewhere...care to share? Wacko

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > DCS World 2.5 Released
23. Re: DCS World 2.5 Released Apr 9, 2018, 15:06 Rigs

Bard wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 10:08:
Rilcon wrote on Apr 8, 2018, 22:30:
Assuming my only interest is in WW2 and I'm looking for something that can feel realistic without needing to go through a 25-step checklist just to start the engine, should I go with this or the latest IL-2 (or something else entirely)?

I've been out of the "sim" game for over a decade; didn't have space for a flightstick on my desk anymore...

Yes, grab the latest IL2.

Or...grab Wings of Prey. It's pretty good for WW2 air combat and is the same engine as the online-only WarThunder, which is also pretty good, if a bit more arcadey. Whenever I want to load up a newer WW2 flight combat sim, WoP is what I go to. For more modern combat alternatives, there's always the Strike Fighter 2-series. (Along with War over Europe and War over Vietnam) Just don't buy the STEAM versions, they're broken as shit. Get it right from the publisher. (I'm on my tablet, so I can't give you links ATM, sorry)

The latest IL-2 releases are ok, just a bit overly difficult. Sometimes I think it's too much. You have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to playability and fun but I guess that's subjective. One man's technical manual is another mans novel. Or something like that.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > DCS World 2.5 Released
11. Re: DCS World 2.5 Released Apr 8, 2018, 21:34 Rigs

It absolutely boggles my mind that in 2018, the flight combat sim genre has dried up to nearly nothing. This (along with wargaming and RPG's) were the cornerstone of PC gaming back when it started!

When I started playing on 'modern' systems, you couldn't take two steps without tripping over a flight combat sim or flight sim in general! If only I could take the devs from Microprose and Spectrum Holobyte (AND Looking Glass!) and bring them here from 1994...maybe then this genre would be the leader that it was two decades ago and rightfully should be. Where are the graphical powerhouse versions of F-15 Strike Eagle, F-14 Fleet Defender, Falco-..oh, well, forget I mentioned that one, F-117 Stealth Fighter, LHX, Apache Longbow, Hind, Thunderhawk, Silent Thunder, A-10 Tank Killer, Aces of the Pacific, Aces Over Europe, European Air War, 1942: Pacific Air War, Pacific Strike, B-17, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Battlehawks 1942, Their Finest Hour...the list just goes on and on. If, in 1993, when I was clutching my box of Aces of the Pacific so hard it left marks, that in the year 2018, the only real flight combat sim would be DCS, I would have been seriously upset. Now, it only makes me that much more depressed. Yeah, DCS is gorgeous, but it's the only game in town. And with 1080ti video cards and octo-core 4ghz CPUs, that's just pathetic.

=-Rigs-=

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 6, 2018, 14:28 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 6, 2018, 12:13:
Yeah, the weather forecast here is a mix of snow and rain tonight, high of 40 today. They are predicting .5" - 1" of snow overnight. *sigh* Still... better than hurricanes! Hi, Rigs!

Ha! Little known fact, we get earthquakes, too!

It's 82° right now, about an hour away it looks like this. My A/C just kicked on about a half an hour ago so I closed up the windows but I'll have them back open after the sun goes back down. Last few days we've been dealing with sea-breeze induced storms, one really nasty sucker on Wednesday. Too early in the year for this crap! Nod

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2018, 14:43.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 17:14 Rigs

Flatline wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 13:32:
I'm actually fine with a Last Starfighter reboot. I love the original but it's actually a movie I wouldn't mind seeing a different take on.

If it had the same commitment to art quality that Rogue One had I'd squee pretty hard. Plus, as much as I love the movie, the story was pretty simplistic and could use development.

I mean, it's just Excalibur in space. Centauri even says "I didn't use the Excalibur test this time, I used something called a video game" or something along those lines. Excalibur is the Starfighter's symbol. There's plenty of room for a reinterpretation.

I wouldn't mind a sequel with Lance Guest as Alex as the admiral/commander of the Starfighter fleet. Kind of roll with the establishment of the "round table" if we're talking in Arthurian analogs still.

I do love Rogue One and think Gareth Edwards did an awesome job. He really retained that Star Wars feel. If he can do the same (assuming he directed it) or Gary Whitta can keep the same feel and energy of the first, than I'm fine with having a sequel/soft-reboot. The reason I'm hesitant is that it very rarely ends up being that way and usually these things crash and burn, even with the best of intentions. The only one besides Rogue One I can think of that did it right was TRON: Legacy, though I will also admit to really liking the last Star Trek movie, Beyond. It felt like an episode of the original series, for sure. It wasn't too serious in spite of itself, like Into Darkness, which I didn't care for at all, except for the soundtrack. If they can do it right, more power to them. If they get it wrong, I'mma be pissed!

=-Rigs-=

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 17:07 Rigs

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 14:37:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 14:03:
Center Of The Milky Way Has Thousands Of Black Holes, Study Shows.

That place must be crazy with all those overlapping gravitational fields. I'd hate to have to live there.

Not to mention the radiation and time dilation issues.

It would probably be like a real life version of the TNG episode where those aliens inhabit the Romulan singularity drive core and end up shattering the space-time around them, causing space time to run at different rates in bubbles scattered around the two ships? Or being stuck in a time-loop like that other episode with Frasier? Geezus, our universe is going to end up being a real life GalaxyQuest only with Star Trek.

=-Rigs-=

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 12:22 Rigs

"Rogue One" Scribe Resurrects "Last Starfighter."

No! Leave it alone! Can't these guys just leave some things be? It's fine the way it is. We don't need a freakin' reboot/remake/prequel. I don't care how good the concept art looks!

Having said that, the concept art, for some crazy reason, really gives me a No Mans Sky vibe. Weird.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > 1C Company Announces Three Games
1. Re: 1C Company Announces Three Games Apr 5, 2018, 11:39 Rigs

Eternity: The Last Unicorn

Hmmm...

When the last eagle flies over the last crumbling mountain
And the last lion roars at the last dusty fountain
In the shadow of the forest though she may be old and worn
They will stare unbelieving at the last unicorn

Well, I can dream, I guess...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Movie and Sales Records
7. Re: Far Cry 5 Movie and Sales Records Apr 5, 2018, 06:12 Rigs

So, was this what they were filming two years ago? Remember right before the announcement of FC5, there were rumors of filming near a church and some thought it might be RDR2? I think this is what they were filming. Interesting...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Movie and Sales Records
6. Re: Far Cry 5 Movie and Sales Records Apr 5, 2018, 05:07 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 00:47:
SlimRam wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 23:03:
I kinda liked the mini movie. The actor who plays the lead cult guy is convincingly creepy and dedicated to his apparent cause. Faith is literally my IDEAL woman: Hot, crazy and high

Never stick your dick in crazy. Trust me on that.
Mad

*Opens mouth to say something in response*

...eh, no, he's pretty much right...

=-Rigs-=

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2018, 22:43 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 19:07:
Hey Rigs, I'll gladly take my spring snow over having to deal with hurricanes. It is not even close...

What, you don't like being utterly terrified in the middle of the night, with no lights, wind roaring (literally) outside, wondering if the roof is going to go flying off? Or the walls are gonna blow in? Or that you have enough supplies until the lights come back on?

I understand. I don't like going through it but I relish the buildup, the immediacy of it, not knowing where it's going to go, when it'll make landfall and at what strength. Then again, I've been through enough of them (four in the last two years alone - Hermine, Matthew, Nate and Irma) to become a little desensitized to it all. But, believe it or not, I'd take a hurricane over a tornado. Any day of the week! Those things are nas-t! If I never see one in my lifetime, I'll be perfectly happy with that. That's why you'd never see me living in the mid-west. I'll take a hurricane at 2am any time than an EF4 or 5 tornado at 2am!

=-Rigs-=

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2018, 14:14 Rigs

RE: Snow

I was sitting here, eating my lunch and watching this the whole time, watching the storms build in the background...currently, it's 82° outside and a little muggy. Sorry you're still dealing with the death throes of Winter, Blue! You're more than welcome to come on down here! I suggest you do it now, though, because in another month or so, we'll be gearing up for the new hurricane season and the weather follows suit by getting downright nasty. In fact, yesterday was the first time this season that we had both the Atlantic sea-breeze and the Gulf sea-breeze combine and set off a long line of storms from a bit east of Tampa south to a bit east of Fort Meyers, which kept on going until early this morning. Typically this doesn't happen until around mid-May~ish. So we're getting off to an early start for our 2018 Storm Season...

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 13:12:
This is kind of a followup to yesterdays Riggs post...
As you're so fond of pointing out, I sign each of my posts and you still didn't get my name right! One 'g', bruh! One! Wacko

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 2018, 14:37.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2018, 17:24 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 15:14:
1. Don't blame the victim, Stockholm syndrome is real.

No, no, don't take me wrong, I should have been clear about this, I'm not necessarily blaming the victim as such. I'll point you to this video of comedian Bill Burr for some context of what I mean. It's not the most popular opinion, I'll admit, but I mean, where does it end? Opinion right now is that if you're in an abusive relationship and you continue that relationship no matter what, your actions are unquestionable? No, I don't believe that. Yes, there's 'Stockholm Syndrome'. But that doesn't mean every single person that doesn't get out of a physically/mentally/emotionally abusive relationship has it. That's crazy. I'm not saying what the girl went through is her fault but after all of that time and the multitude of injuries, when is it enough? And I don't believe I have to stay quiet just because she may be in such a situation. I'm not going 'Full Metal Cutter' here and say she's some dumb bitch that deserved what she got. Absolutely not.

3. It is surprising we haven't seen any stories coming from famous musicians being abused by producers, techs, agents, etc. You'd think that a Taylor Swift, Katie Perry, Ariana Grande (etc.) would have stories to tell.

I'm sure they do have stories to tell but making money is still more important, apparently. When it gets so bad, like in Kesha's case, then it comes out.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 2018, 11:37.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2018, 03:02 Rigs

This is a bit old but as this semi-related article points out, the 'Me Too' movement hasn't exactly carried over to the music industry in the same way...or really in any way. Apparently, this rapper, XXXTentacion, whom I've never heard of, was in a whole heap of bullshit last year involving some girl he'd met. The allegations from the girl of what happened after they started going together and living together are just...well, I'll let you guys read it and then you can see for yourselves...

XXXTentacion’s Reported Victim Details Grim Pattern of Abuse in Testimony

Some choice cuts:
Around July 2016, the couple moved to Orlando. When asked during the deposition to “pinpoint the days he threatened to kill you,” the reported victim responded, “Well, when we lived in Orlando, it was literally like every day.”
And yet she stayed.
They listened to one of XXXTentacion’s songs in the car and she sang along with his verse. Then she hummed along with a verse from a featured artist on the track...Then, XXXTentacion head-butted her, punched her, stomped on her, and put her in the bathtub, where he continued hitting and kicking her. “He also wanted to cut out my tongue because I was singing the song,” she said.
And yet she stayed.
When XXXTentacion got out of jail, they moved back in together in North Miami. He told her he knew she had cheated on him. He put a knife to her neck, strangled her “a little bit,” and called her a “ho,” she said. That night, he woke her up and told her to go outside, where he picked up an empty glass beer bottle and demanded that she tell him the truth or, “I’m going to fuck you up.” She replied that she already was telling him the truth, that she had cheated and was sorry. He dropped the bottle, slapped her, and let her go back to bed.
And yet she still stayed!
In two incidents there, XXXTentacion grabbed her by the neck, strangled her, and forced her down on the bed before another person who lived there came to the rescue.
Then this:
“I’m like scared,” she said, recalling how she felt. “It’s like he’s going to like end up killing me or something.”

...Christ! You think?!? What was your first fuckin' clue?! Crazy I just...I just can't even...She can't be that naive and stupid. She just can't be, it's just not possible. This has to be a glorified sick joke. (And yet the whole time I'm saying that, in my mind, I know it's true but still don't want it to be, just for the sake of humanity as a whole)

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Uwe Boll's Rampage
22. Re: Uwe Boll's Rampage Mar 31, 2018, 19:18 Rigs

El Pit wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 08:30:
Star Wars on the other hand - I liked Rogue One quite a bit. But the new sequel trilogy is a disaster - great cast, amazing production quality, but the screenplays and character arcs are just horrible.

The more I watch it, the more I love Rogue One. It's got that spark, that original Star Wars feeling, even in the music which was cobbled together at the last minute and wasn't by John Williams, it still feels like Star Wars. And they have, hands down, the most awesomest way ever to take down a Star Destroyer! When I saw it, my jaw was on the floor until well after the end of the movie. Even CGI Talkin' Tarkin is great. His voice is a little bit more 'squeeky' than Peter Cushing's was but seeing how we can't exactly get Cushing to reclaim his role, it's better than it certainly could have been given Rian Johnson's treatment of TLJ. Gareth Edwards is more than welcome, in my eyes, to do another SW movie in the future. Rian Johnson, on the other hand, can go *beep* a *beep* *beep* and then *beep* with a rusty *beep* while *beeeep*!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 2018, 03:31.

News Comments > Factorio Price Boost Next Month
10. Re: Factorio Price Boost Next Month Mar 31, 2018, 14:20 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 06:39:
Dude, you live in FL, right? WHY ARE YOU AWAKE AT 4:50 AM ON SATURDAY??!
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 09:17:
Yeah, Rigs is in Florida. Maybe he's at work?

I'm a bit nocturnal because of my many years working overnight/3rd shifts. I went from partying in the early mornings when I was young right into preferring to work overnight. Most times I'm awake from 1am on. Just years of habit now more than anything.

=-Rigs-=

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2018, 07:55 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 06:46:
Cutter deftly skirts the line, that's for sure. Is telling someone to off themselves an "attack of a personal nature?" I guess that's for Blue to decide. It would be sad to see him go, or be forced to return as 'Kutter.' He's kind of an institution around here, or at least a crazy uncle.

It's not so much him in particular but how the rest of us would/should be treated if we did the same. Not to say what he did is any less appalling but just because he's a regular shouldn't give him carte blanche without repercussions. Either he doesn't care or he feels he's above any blow back. I know Cutter's not stupid enough to think that what he says isn't offensive. He's doing it for that very reason. And he continues to do so with the only punishment being his post removed where as, if any of the rest of us did so, on a consistent basis, would suffer harsher punishment quicker, IMO.

Ultimately, as you said, it's up to Blue. This is his site and he's boss. If he decides to do nothing, so be it. I won't be happy about it but I respect his authority and his decisions. I'm not fond of RedEye. He knows it, most of you know it but no matter our disagreements, he shouldn't be subjected to being told to jump into a pit of rabid porcupines while covered in honey and then lit on fire... Paranoid I mean, if that was the method chosen in this hypothetical situation... *cough*

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2018, 08:05.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2018, 06:00 Rigs

Sooo, if I'm not mistaken, that's the third time in as many months Cutter has gone off the deep end and told someone to take a dive. I mean, c'mon, Blue, there has to be consequences for this aside from just removing the post. Canadian or not, Cutter's not above the law. And I don't say this because I'm out to 'get Cutter'. If I've never been believed before, believe me now when I say this is true. Everyone here should be treated to the same standard and if I did something like that, I'd expect consequences to my actions. We're mostly all adults here, let's handle this as such, yes?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Factorio Price Boost Next Month
5. Re: Factorio Price Boost Next Month Mar 31, 2018, 04:50 Rigs

Numinar wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 01:07:
I feel like I wasted $20 on Rimworld after getting caught up in the hype on this very board.

I'm curious, what didn't you like about Rimworld? I think it comes damn close to being a graphically modern take on Dwarf Fortress and it has extensive mod support like Factorio. I didn't think there was anything outright negative about Rimworld but maybe I'm slightly biased as I've been playing it since the early alphas. Factorio, on the other hand, has been a hard sell for me simply because I don't have that tiny engineer inside me, fighting to get out. He died in a puff of flame and smoke when I burnt out on mechanical mods for Minecraft. *shrugs* He'll be back one day.

=-Rigs-=

2989 Comments. 150 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo