Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. Currently, lurking and keeping my mouth shut.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2691 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2017, 12:43 Rigs

Wanted to let those of you that might be interested that Egosoft put out a new newsletter earlier that gave solid teases to X4. Yes, it's being worked on! They've put X: Rebirth (more like X: Afterbirth, amirite?...right?... No?...*ahem*) VR out there in Early Access with a 'new graphics engine' that is a test bed for X4. They also announced that they will be having a new 'Xcon', something that hasn't been done since 2004, which presumably will show some of what they have for X4, along with more X: Rebirth VR on hand to test with various headsets. It's in Germany, though, so be sure to book a flight early!

Just thought I'd put that out there since I know some of you are still waiting for the definitive current-gen X sequel we should have had...me included. Well, our prayers might have been answered! Though it might be some time before we know for sure. Hopefully not as long as the wait for Star Citizen. amirite?...eh, I'll just see myself out... Wacko

Link to newsletter: https://www.egosoft.com/x/xnews/201708_1_44News.html

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New SteelSeries Mice Boast 1-to-1 Sensors
6. Re: New SteelSeries Mice Boast 1-to-1 Sensors Aug 1, 2017, 14:17 Rigs

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 09:09:
I love my Rival 300 mouse. Best mice I've ever had since the Logitech MX518

*sigh* I miss my MX518! Had that thing for 6 years and it never let me down, not once. Then I got tired of having the same old and gave it to a good friend of mine along with my G15 keyboard. He had it broke inside 4 months. Pouting But my G510/G700 work just as well and I'd go as far as saying that the G700 could be considered the modern successor to the MX518. 'Course they don't make the straight G700 anymore, either. I don't have any experience with the new G700S but aside from fancy decore, it looks to be the same. I've had my G700 for around five years now, might be time to get a new one, though this one has been through hell and still functions flawlessly. *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2017, 17:27.

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2017, 10:47 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Jul 30, 2017, 04:31:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 30, 2017, 03:09:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 29, 2017, 22:18:
MeanJim wrote on Jul 29, 2017, 18:51:
Children, adults suffer carbon monoxide poisoning in video game trailer.
That wasn't the kind of "video game trailer" I was expecting.

I agree, that headline made absolutely no sense until I read the article. I didn't know that kind of trailer existed.

So I wasn't the only one who was going WTF the entire article, I still don't even understand what that trailer was FOR.
Yeah, a photo could have gone a long way here.

There is a photo...it's just a trailer full of consoles and screens. Not a bad idea, actually. Would have to find a way to keep the cost of it down. Beats having a bouncy castle (well, maybe ) and a creepy clown...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > MS on PC Gaming
40. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2017, 17:55 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Jul 28, 2017, 03:58:
Cutter wrote on Jul 27, 2017, 11:34:
Blue wrote on Jul 27, 2017, 08:23:
Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2017, 22:46:
'I promise I won't hit you no more, baby. Trust me, honey.'

I am calling for a retirement of the "humorous" allusions to domestic violence that these stories inspire.

Noted and rejected.

You really can be a douchecanoe sometimes.

Sometimes?! Inquisitive

He just told the owner and purveyor of this site he spends 90% of his social life on to basically go fuck himself in relation to jokes about physical abuse. If that's not a bannable offense, considering the other outlandish and morally reprehensible things that's come out of his (virtual) mouth, I really don't know what is.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Tencent Stakes Out Frontier Stake
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2017, 15:10 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Jul 28, 2017, 14:09:
E-smack, lol. And why wouldn't a oompany called Tencent buy 10% insteaf of 9 points? It would be more apropos.

Maybe cause 50-cent beat them to it? Ain't he broke now, tho?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > MS on PC Gaming
19. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 27, 2017, 06:18 Rigs

*Runs into the kitchen to check the calendar*

Yup! It's the end of July, time for MS's twice-yearly commitment to PC announcement...

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 26, 2017, 22:10:
Halo 1 and 2 were on PC.

You do realize we're up to HALO 5 now, yes?

Speaking of which, when I reinstalled Windows 10 (on a hard drive that promptly died a week later, no doubt laden down from all the updates like concrete 'shoes' around a witness's ankles), I was very hyped to download the 'Halo 5 FORGE' and play around with it, maybe do some multi (In HALO 5, man! ON PC!!!) until I saw the download requirements of 55 gigs! *record screech* That's five more gigs than my entire monthly data cap allowance! What the hell is the whole game come in at, 100 gigs?!? Geezus, learn some restraint!

I'm continually amazed when I look at everything early gaming devs squeezed into the 16k, 32k, 64k, 128k systems back in the day and now we can't have a AAA game without it being less than 30 gigs! I think all devs should be required to build one complete game in less than 128k before working on a AAA game. Maybe then they'd appreciate the added space modern tech allows...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 26, 2017, 18:35 Rigs

'AT&T Sees Record Loss in Cable TV Subscribers.'

Still has no problem giving two middle-fingers way, WAY up to rural FL customers who have absolutely no other choice but to take AT&T's money-engorged flogger without even the courtesy to ask for it gently... Movingalong

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Play Just Cause 3 for Free
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2017, 12:37 Rigs

I dunno, I bought the XL version on sale cheap a long time ago and it sat under 'the pile' for a while until I finally got to it earlier this year. I have to say that...I wasn't impressed. For what it was, a sequel to JC2, it was ok. The story was ok, nothing mind-blowing, but the run-n-gun, the meat and potatoes (Mmmm, meat and potatoes) of this game, it's just average overall. It was a pure mix of JC2 and the Ubisoft formula (towers, outposts, unlocking regions in any order you wish) with better graphics. It was just that...that was it, really. Some bigger explosions, the games mechanics were more refined but in the end, it was just more of the same. And, unfortunately, I ran into a lot of scripting and physics glitches. Some to the point that I couldn't finish a mission because the selected target didn't show up on my HUD or radar.

There was one point, early on the first 'island', where the main-big base on top of the mountain is nigh-impenetrable but once you do take it over, you still get plastered with infinite airstrikes unless you take on a story mission before it that turns the airstrikes off. Since I was more interested in unlocking the regions, I didn't get to the story mission that did this until later, after dying repeatedly trying anything to disable the airstrikes.

Speaking of liberation, one of the peculiarities of the game is that once you destroy the last piece of enemy equipment at a town or outpost, it becomes yours, even if the base is swarming with bad guys and machines of war. This becomes almost necessary sometimes when trying to liberate cities as the response from the bad guys can quickly overwhelm you. Just take out the shopping list of bad guy equipment, raise the flag in town and 'BOOM!', it's all yours regardless! Very unrealistic and it pulled me out of it multiple times.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > More on Dying Light DLC Plans
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2017, 13:18 Rigs

God, do I love this game! I just re-installed it again last night. Couldn't stay away...lol! The atmosphere, the soundtrack...it's just awesome! Wish they'd work on DL2, though, I'm dying (heh) to get into some new stuff. I've 100%'d this game twice, the only one I've ever done. I'm lucky to even finish a game but this one is worth all the time invested. Except for that horrific ending to 'The Following'. In the immortal words of AVGN, 'what were they thinking?!'. Hopefully for Crane, it was all a dream from a nasty fall or something. Geez, that ending is horrible. Anyway, my mods work fine. I have a combined 'Gunshots don't alert virals, dynamic weather and extended day' mod merged with a 'look at your watch key define' mod. No problem with them.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
7. Re: Saturday Interviews Jul 23, 2017, 14:27 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 23, 2017, 10:53:
Rigs wrote on Jul 23, 2017, 04:48:
I even think they spelled the name of the town wrong, though it's hard to tell. The town was 'Hernando' but it looks like 'Hemando' because of the type face they used at the time.
It was misspelled http://i.imgur.com/FfdlO70.jpg

Yeah, I agree...seeing it blown up and zoomed like that makes it pretty obvious. It was harder to tell back in the day in the magazine itself. Don't know why they got it wrong, not like I spelled it that way in the letter.

=-Rigs-=

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2017, 14:23 Rigs

Go ahead, Blue, I give you permission to go out in (belated) celebration of my b-day, which was the 15th. Though I wonder if Mrs. Blue will start to get suspicious when half the board starts listing their birthdays for reference? Really dyin' for a good steak lately. FL is not the place for steaks, burgers or pizza! Oh, gawd, Jersey pizza! I'd lease my soul for a decent, greasy Jersey pizza! Drool

=-Rigs-=

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2017, 09:18 Rigs

Luke wrote on Jul 23, 2017, 05:07:
Sure sure sure ..sure.

Inquisitive ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?

=-Rigs-=

3. Re: Saturday Interviews Jul 23, 2017, 04:48 Rigs

I remember the years before the ERB. It was a big discussion in the industry, especially in the gaming mags at the time. In fact, I wrote to, and my letter was published in, the August 1994 issue of Computer Gaming World about it (the one with NASCAR Racing on the cover!). I was 15 and thought any kind of 'regulation' of the industry would be it's death. Funny thing was that I signed the letter 'Michael Rigs' but they published it under my full name that I put on the outside of the envelope on the return address. (Long story, we'd moved to FL and were sharing the same mailbox with about five other houses on the block for about three months and it required our 'full and legal' names on all mail) I even think they spelled the name of the town wrong, though it's hard to tell. The town was 'Hernando' but it looks like 'Hemando' because of the type face they used at the time. Oh well. I said my peace. Luckily, it wasn't the end of the world, though it could've been much worse had the government been intent on regulating this industry, especially after Columbine.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2017, 09:21.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
7. Re: Eve Mobile Jul 22, 2017, 02:24 Rigs

Razer is reportedly working on a phone just for gamers.

We've got one, it's called a tablet. I've got a scratched up hand-me-down LG 'Lucky' with an almost-but-not-quite 4 inch screen and you think I can see anything worth a damn on it? Hell no. I downloaded some RPGs on it a couple weeks ago (could only fit TWO on the phone itself because of the pitiful storage...where can I install an SSD in this thing?!) just in case I got caught having to sit for a while somewhere and I'll be damned if I can play any of them! The screen is so small and my keyboard-tuned fingers act like steak fries! 'Course it doesn't help that it's scratched up as well. So, no, no thanks, Razer. I'll stay on the tablet/iPad for my mobile gaming pleasure, thank you very much!

=-Rigs-=

* Having said all that, I get all fuzzy and giddy when I see a Galaxy S8...geezus, what a beautiful piece of tech! I'd get it for the looks alone!

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2017, 09:19.

News Comments > DOOM Patch; Free DLC; Price Drop; Free Weekend
25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2017, 06:16 Rigs

mag wrote on Jul 21, 2017, 01:46:
Dentorro wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 13:15:
FloorPie wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 03:55:
According to windows, my Doom install is now only 67GB. IIRC, before mega patch it was 78GB.

I think you are thinking of the hi rez texture pack of fallout 4

Fallout 4 was 78GB? Goddamn. It was kind of an ugly game, too.

Heh, yeah, I just got my 1050ti/4gb the other day (frakkin' awesome! what a difference from my 7850/1gb! - DOOM on ULTRA all the way and way beyond playable, my jaw was on the floor! I couldn't believe it. I figured it'd chug a little, at least but nope. And then I find out it was on the Vulkan-setting!? I thought that was AMD only? Still worked great) and was trying all my games out again to see the differences (like a kid on Christmas!). I loaded up Fallout4 thinking it was gonna blow my mind like DOOM did and be a major upgrade (and not so frakkin ugly) buuut...not quite. Oh, it ran beautifully. Like 90+ fps on my old 7850 settings (which were basically low, low, and, oh, low). But the graphics and textures themselves, while clearer and not as blurry and washed out were...not as jaw dropping. I'm sorry to say but Fallout4, while in spots can be a real looker with the right lighting and time of day and landscape view, is mostly ugly as sin. So much brown and gray. I have like 30 mods running, too and they don't seem to help very much in the looks department. I don't have the HD texture pack installed, however. So maybe that will help. It's gonna have to wait though, because...

36gigs?!? Are you frakkin' kidding me?!? GTFOH, mate! I saw the news post and then went into STEAM thinking it would be a quick download and luckily I watched it before it started actually downloading and when it said '36gb', I was like, 'Nope!', that ain't happenin'. Especially at the end of the month on my excessively-data-capped-sorry-excuse-for-a-broadband-provider-satellite-connection?! You must be mad...

=-Rigs-=

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2017, 02:02 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 18:42:
Tan Mom. She's from Nutley, NJ. That's all you need to know.

We're not all from the shore, you know, jd...

In fact, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised what the rest of the state is like, especially where I was born and raised in the NW NYC suburbs...

=-Rigs-=

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2017, 02:01 Rigs

*REMOVED*

* as authorized by El Presidente

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2017, 13:36.

17. Re: New Video Card REDUX Jul 15, 2017, 16:57 Rigs

SlimRam wrote on Jul 15, 2017, 08:11:
Rigs wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 20:54:
My local Best Buy has an EGA 1050ti for $169 and I might just take a early morning ride tomorrow to grab it (which is an hour and a half away) instead of waiting for NewEgg to send it as a birthday present to myself.
When's your B-Day? Mine's the 18th

Today! (July 15th, 1978, 2:55am, Newton, NJ...during a horrendous thunderstorm, so I've been told)...

Happy (early) Birthday, Slim! (If I'm not around in a few days)

And I'm now the proud owner of an EGA nVidia 1050ti/4gb! Fixin' to install it now...yay!

=-Rigs-=

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 15, 2017, 01:54 Rigs

Hoop wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 23:27:
Well I posted the newegg link to the EVGA 1050ti for a reason having just bought the 1070 version.
As the user reviews state best build quality of the lot, quieter under load too.
I've done all the reviews EVGA nose ahead, would not go for the gigabyte it's pretty generic.

Yup, that's actually where I started from in looking at all the 1050, 1060, 1070, RX450-480's and narrowing it down to 1050's and 1060's. I appreciate the link. EGA looks to be the best for 1050ti's. It's just so weird getting back into the nVidia ecosystem again...but exciting, too! How's the 1070? (as if I need to ask Giggle )

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 21:15:
What you spend in gas counters any savings.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487291

Certainly seems that way but I don't like to wait. If it wasn't the weekend, I wouldn't mind so much but if I order it today, it won't get here until Tuesday/Wednesday. Or I could just take a an hour and some ride to Ocala....I just won't put the a/c on...

=-Rigs-=

11. New Video Card REDUX Jul 14, 2017, 20:54 Rigs

Ok, so I've decided on the card I'm getting. A lot of you gave the 1060 as a good choice but unfortunately, the price is just too high. I know I gave $200-$350 but in retrospect, that was too much. I wish I could go for a 1060/6gb, which seem to be very hot right now. 1070's and AMD-equivalents are just too far out of reach and way, way over-priced. I mean, RX480's for over $500?! Come on. If you're gonna spend that much, you might as well go for the 1080, you know?

Anyway, after much debate and thinking (and juggling the checkbook), I've narrowed it down to a 1050ti/4gb for $165. I wanted something with a good amount of RAM and the RX460's all usually have just 2gb of RAM. It's just not enough for the asking price, IMO. I found some odder deals, like a 960/2gb for $170 and 1060/3gb for $249 and even 770's for $200. But, in the end, the 1050ti with 4gb just seemed the best fit for the money spent. I think, going from an HD7850/1gb, it will be more than enough of a difference to keep me tied over until I need to build a new system.

Now, the question is what brand? XFX and EGA look like the front runners here but I've heard good things with Gigabyte and really horrible stories with MSI. Any thoughts?

My local Best Buy has an EGA 1050ti for $169 and I might just take a early morning ride tomorrow to grab it (which is an hour and a half away) instead of waiting for NewEgg to send it as a birthday present to myself. I'll come back and give details on it's performance and difference to the HD7850 if I do decide to go. (This will be the first non-AMD video card I've gotten in...over 10 years! My first AMD/ATI was the venerable 9800Pro, which replaced my ailing Geforce2MX) Hell, on second thought, I might just sleep in...lol!

=-Rigs-=

2691 Comments. 135 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo