Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. Currently, lurking and keeping my mouth shut.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2592 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: On Sale Feb 13, 2017, 00:44 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 20:58:
Al Jarreau, he was 76.

Noooo! God fucking dammit, man! That's not even fair, I was just listening to him like two hours ago! *bawls*

The day my fav-of-all-time, Pat Metheny, goes, I'm done. I don't think I can live in a world devoid of all the great Contemporary Jazz masters...

As I recompose myself here, I really wish I could at least experience some of that glorious cold air you guys are getting. Seriously, our A/C has been on continuously since Thursday. When the sun goes down, the temp does drop but it's been even a bit muggy lately so opening the windows means having a tough time sleeping. (I hate trying to sleep when it's muggy/sticky out...besides outright sweating your balls off, I can't think of a more annoying way of trying to sleep)

Anyway, I jumped in here to talk about my play-through of Watch Dogs (the original). It's been sitting on my hard drive for a while, obviously, (since a little after release) and I putzed around before but in an effort to find something different to play, I dove, head first, into the Watch Dog kiddie pool. (Probably would have been wise to drink the kool-aide beforehand while I was at it) To be honest, I don't understand all the hate the story gets, and Adrien Pearce in particular. It's not the best story I've ever heard but it's certainly not the worst thing I've ever played through. It's got some funnier moments. Especially his 'Straight From Sleeping Dogs rehearsals' Hong Kong friend/sidekick/comic relief?, Jordi Chin. Now think about that name for a second. That name clearly comes from a foreign writer that can't think of a good Chinese name that people will relate to. I can only wonder what the staff meeting was like when they chose that name.

But that's not why I'm writing. No, see, I really don't have many qualms with WD. Certainly not as many as reviewers did. The driving is functional, if a bit floaty. I can get used to it. The stealthy parts are a blast, sometimes literally! I love setting off explosions at just the right time when bad guys are walking past. Trying to create distractions and getting more than 2 or 3 in one shot is a nice challenge. My highest killed-at-one-time is 5. And because of that I have to say that the AI isn't exactly genius. Of course, I have it on 'Normal' because I mainly want to get the story bits, much like my playthru of The Witcher 3. I keep it on Easy so I can get the story most of all.

I think the main thing I have a problem with, and this is while I'm only at the middle of 'Act 2', is that some missions are just downright pull-your-fucking-hair-out frustrating and the difficulty curve is batshit bonkers! Some missions are pretty simple even though at first I thought they were going to be hell. *SPOILERS* The mission where you have to drive that one guy to see 'Lucky' at the end, with all the city in lockdown, I thought would take some time and a couple run throughs. Nope. I hid for a little bit, went down some side streets and BAM! Done. Then, I get to the *AGAIN, SPOILERS* 'kids on a train' take out all the guys trying to get at him' mission, and like the earlier one where you take out the guy in the convoy going to the jail/court?, it's fuckin' murder all of a sudden! Cars and guys with guns coming from all different directions. I couldn't get an armored van like in the earlier mission because I didn't have enough time and was getting constantly pummeled until I got so pissed I just stopped, got out of the car and shot everyone. Apparently, I think I was supposed to do that because it ended the mission in like 30 seconds as opposed to the 10 minutes on the earlier try.

But then! OMG! THEN! I get to the mission where I have to do something similar and stop this guy in a truck (*spoilers* after the 'Yacht warehouse mission). You get like 10 seconds to hop out of the warehouse, grab a vehicle and already the times counting down and if you manage to get to him, he does all this crazy shit and then, out of nowhere (supposedly he calls a contract in, like AS HE'S RUNNING FROM ME and everyone's there in two seconds?! They did it in an earlier mission but I just wrote it off as a fluke...nope!) all these cars and SUV's come after me and they're a lot tougher than the cars before. If I don't have a big truck, I get pinned somewhere and lose the truck I'm after. I tried this mission like, at least, 10 times and I got SO fucking mad I almost...ALMOST...threw my keyboard. Then I realized that I needed to take a break and I literally ragequit. And then I came here....lol! Funny how that works out!

So, after all that, would I recommend Watch Dogs? Aeh...well...I...uh...see...yeah, probably. It's not bad per se. It's just maddening in parts. If the difficulty curve was a little less...8 on the Richter Scale...it'd be a better game for it. The way I saw it was this. It very much feels like a re-master of Grand Theft Auto 3. If you told me I was playing a remaster of that, I'd believe it and if you substituted all the music and sound, it'd be really close. So, in that context, it gets a much better score. I'd give it a...7 Surges out of 'I really need to cut down on drinking this shit'.

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs
26. Re: On Sale Feb 11, 2017, 12:48 Rigs

Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 11:09:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 04:01:
Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 00:58:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 00:44:
Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 23:03:
Yeah but GabeN is just indifferent whereas Nodick is outright evil.

It sounds like your assessment comes from personal experience and less from how they manage their products in the market. As far as I'm concerned as long as companies I've invested in as a shareholder are making profits legally and have some corporate governance and (or) responsibility then they're fine by me. Still, I think laying off staff after having a record quarter is uncool.

it sounds like your assessment comes from wanting everyone to know you are a shareholder and (or) a big deal. still, i think the post where you already mentioned that fact was more than enough

Did I ruffle your feathers? Confused

no im just jealous over how rich and powerful and mighty you are

Hey, Kxmode, I have a couple of Nerf guns, some pool noodles, all of Idubbbz videos downloaded to a USB flash drive and the DVD boxset of the FRED movies. I say we string him up and go Breaking Bad on his ass...

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

News Comments > Afghanistan '11 Next Month
6. Re: On Sale Feb 10, 2017, 13:53 Rigs

Task wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 08:07:
Rigs wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 02:23:
Cutter wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 23:17:
Ahh, another war of hegemony and occupation by 'Murica.

For fucks sake... Movingalong

=-Rigs-=

Is he wrong? Actually it would be some contingents of NATO countries as well. The only difference really would be that Vietnam won their independence and victory, the Afghani groups are still fighting for theirs.

No, but it doesn't mean we need to be reminded of it every time something like this comes up. It's like if someone made a Britain-In-India/Old World Empire joke every time something about India/WW1 came around. It gets old. It is old. Time for a new meme. Maybe that the U.S. is being run by the Lorax or something, I dunno. There's plenty out there. This 'Murica shit is so...2000's.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Afghanistan '11 Next Month
3. Re: On Sale Feb 10, 2017, 02:23 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 23:17:
Ahh, another war of hegemony and occupation by 'Murica.

For fucks sake... Movingalong

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Conan Exiles Banishes Servers
31. Re: On Sale Feb 10, 2017, 01:40 Rigs

Rigs wrote on Feb 6, 2017, 19:05:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 8, 2017, 15:32.

Wow, my second 'Removed' ever...I should print it out and frame it. Sorry, Blue, I kinda figured what I said would get me flagged but it was worth it.

=-Rigs-=

20. Re: On Sale Feb 9, 2017, 16:05 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 15:48:
Creston wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 12:12:
That is effing INSANE!!

It IS a tumah!

I accept your challenge and raise you...a cookie!

=-Rigs-=

8. Re: OOTB Feb 9, 2017, 11:39 Rigs

Currently, it's...72, clear skies. I hate it. I know I'm in a very small minority but I'd love to be in that snow right now! Living in FL messes with your mind. You start thinking that this kind of weather is normal. It's not. It's 72 now, but we're also under a Frost Warning for tomorrow morning, with a low of 36. But our highs for the next four days will be at or near 80. In February. We're not in Denver, when one day could be 80 and the next have a half-a-foot of snow on the ground. This winter, for us, has been dry and warm and this summer, if winter is anything to go by, is going to be absolutely brutal. So if any of you like this kind of thing, then by all means, come on down! But me? The first chance I get to go north, I'm taking it and never coming back...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > E3 Opens to Public
17. Re: E3 Opens to Public Feb 9, 2017, 11:29 Rigs

NetHead wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 07:38:
[SC]TherMight wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 00:50:
This is an indication of the conference's death throes.
They tried to cut down even the industry associates because of the nuclear escalation of "Hey we have the best stripper booth babes"
They tried to close it to a smaller audience to get back to their roots
Now this?

Besides there is nothing ever fresh and new to discover or preview at this conference anymore. Gone are the days when you could sit down to play a little game called Katamari Damacy that nobody heard of until it blew up a month later worldwide.

Matches much of what I've suspected about it.

I don't think they could get back to their roots or anything like that as things have changed. The internet is far more effective at reaching the audience, without any of those costs or hassle.

The companies which can afford it, sometimes going around the world to get there, won't be making some unheard of supposedly risky game. I doubt the conference will make the kind of money it expects with anything but big publishers and maybe certain studios and in those cases you can find out more about the game online.

Making an extra $270,000+ for welcoming the public back, I'm pretty sure it's more about the number than the act and hassle it involves.

Hmmm, I remember hearing the same conversation when they had E3 in Atlanta that one year. 'It's all over!' Yeah, not quite. Man, what a clusterfuck that was! They need to try it again, though, this time with some proper oversight and use their fucking brains. I would love to go to an E3. It's been on my 'Bucket List' since '96. Of course, the one year they go to the East Coast was the one year I was drowning in...well, let's just say I was 18 and having too much fun to bother...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie Wormholes Update Next Week
7. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Wormholes Update Next Week Feb 9, 2017, 11:24 Rigs

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 04:25:
Why are you people talking about Eve?

Yes, granted, it's not EVE uh, EVE but it's still the same universe, made by the same company and most of what was said still applies to both.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands System Specs
6. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Wormholes Update Next Week Feb 9, 2017, 10:54 Rigs

Darks wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 10:48:
Rhett wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 10:07:
If the beta's any indication, 1440p is not stable at all, even with top end hardware. I was playing smoothly at 40-60 FPS at 1080p with an FX-6350 and a GTX 970, myself.

Not sure what your issues were, but I didn't run into any. I'm running on GTX 1080 FTW on a 4K 28" monitor 2840 x 2160 had an average of 38 to 42 FPS.

Had the graphics at maximum, with vsync turned off on game, but turned on in the control panel. I thought that wasn't bad considering there are no optimized drivers out yet for the game.

Other Then that I had a really great time playing the game Coop. Ran into a few small bugs but nothing ground breaking.

Drive was a bit of a challenge at the start, but we eventually got the hang of it. but yes, that definitely needs some work. Hopefully that will get fixed. No issues with gun play, in fact I thought the gun play was very similar to The Division.

I bought the Gold Edition, I really liked what I saw and played. The open world was pretty impressive looking. Cant wait to see the rest of the game.

Surprised You pre-ordered?! SHUN THE HERETIC!!! Bat

What <smack> have <smack> we <smack> said <smack> about <smack> pre-ordering?! <smack> Slap

Whew! Well, with that out of the way, let us know how it plays, eh?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie Wormholes Update Next Week
4. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Wormholes Update Next Week Feb 9, 2017, 03:47 Rigs

headshot wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 03:17:
.. and when star citizen adds an FPS module to make a more immersive universe, everbody lines up to shout them down.

I realize that statement is somewhat of a trap (and you were being sarcastic) but to be fair, EVE is a finished game, with long-since-refined mechanics of a fully-fledged game. It's not a glorified tech demo. When you play in EVE (as mundane as it might feel to some) it's still a full game. When you play Star Citizen, you're not getting into even 10% of what was supposed to be the 'full' game. So when RSI wants to go on a another fishing safari because they're bored with doing the actual game they promised five years ago...yeah, people are gonna get a little pissed.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Project CARS 2 This Year
18. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 8, 2017, 16:38 Rigs

MattyC wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 16:09:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 15:40:
MattyC
Project Cars isn't too bad with a controller but it is a ton more fun with the wheel. After some practice you can push the cars to the limits much better with the wheel than with the controller. Much smoother for steering also. It is however a pain in the ass to set it up and tear it down if you don't have a dedicated wheel stand.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds fun, wish I had room for that. I would love a wheel and pedal setup, but I already use 1/2 my 'LAN PC' second desk for my previously mentioned flight setup and it really just sees use when I play Sturmovik games and very rarely some others. I think my better half would frown on the purchase, but honestly the desk space is a big concern with my setups at this point too. Sad

I can see your dilemma. Racing online is a big commitment. I've been doing it since the advent of it, Papyrus' experimental 'Hawaii' service that was just Nascar Racing (the original) on hosted servers back 25 years ago. In those years, I've gone from a CH Yoke (which is a really good as a wheel if you didn't have the money for a Thrustmaster), Logi Wingman Formula Force, Logi Momo and now a Logi G25. I was on iRacing almost continuously until June, when I lost access to a decent broadband connection (I'm on satellite now, which is death by latency in racing sims). Now I'm regulated to a NascarRacing 2003 install, heavily modded and Nascar 15, along with Project Cars, GTR2, GRID and all the others. Basically anything with an AI. But I've also gotten into Elite Dangerous lately and it actually plays rather well on my horrid connection. I don't know what magic Braben is concocting in his lab but it's working. Now I need a HOTAS. I still have my LWFF which I've been meaning to sell but the last OS it supports is WinXP. I've never been able to find drivers for it for Win7. So no one is going to want it, otherwise I'd be willing to sell it in order to get one of those new Thrustmaster T-160000M sticks...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Halo Wars 2 Trailer
3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2017, 12:57 Rigs

Theo wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 04:26:
I honestly though 343 did a great job with Halo 5, and especially as they are just updating and droping DLC for free, buy game get tones of content. Sure the campaign was a little short, but it was pretty good (not the best, but v good none the less).

My only regret is that unlike other microsoft series, they have not put it out on windows 10 (gears 4 is on windows 10, as is forza horizon etc) and they are all exceptionally good ports.

Speaking of HALO5, one of the questions about the ending kinda just popped into my head and I came to a realization. At the very end of the 'Legendary' ending, you see a Halo power up and you hear Cortana humming. At least you assume it's Cortana. Why would she power up a Halo? (one the UNSC hasn't found yet, apparently) Speculation at the time of release was that she would use the HALO's as a way to keep the humans and other species in line, since she controlled all AI's and their allegiances were with her. (Well, most of them, anyway. Roland on the Infinity and monitor 031 EXUBERANT WITNESS on Genesis not withstanding) But it just occured to me that she can't use the HALO's! If she does, she cuts off access to the Domain, and thus her power to cure AI's of rampancy (including her, if it's not permanent). So, again, why was she on the HALO and what is she doing?

I have my own theory. The Cortana we saw in HALO5 wasn't the Cortana we know. I say she's been split into two (or more) different pieces of herself. And the other Cortana, the one we know, is on that HALO. Maybe she doesn't have any memory about why she's there. I dunno. But I have a strong feeling that they're going to go with this kind of thing, Cortana against herself. Let it be said that I still don't approve of this direction in the story. I think it's rather stupid actually. Cortana as the antagonist should have never been an option. They totally made her 'death' a non-issue within like ten minutes of HALO5 and everyone in the game just kinda acted like they knew it was going to happen and weren't shocked at all (well, except maybe for Roland). Then the story they advertised for months (YEARS!) was a total smokescreen and didn't show up at all in the game itself. Nice when you lie to your customers. Where was all the vitriol when that happened? NMS does it and it's the end of the fucking world, 343 does it to an established brand and everyone just goes, 'Meh'. There should have been some backlash. The 'grand' fight between Locke and Chief is a fucking CUTSCENE! They didn't even bother to quick-time it! Fuck me!

I could go on, but what's the point? I'm talking to myself. Would be nice to know what they're doing for HALO6. About that time, I would say, yes?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Halo Wars 2 Trailer
1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2017, 22:46 Rigs

*sigh*

343 has totally sucked out all the fun in the HALO universe. As one of the biggest HALO fans from the very beginning (when it was a MAC exclusive!), it's just gone into territory that I can't (and don't want) to follow. While they claim they have the next decade of HALO planned out (as in the next three games), it doesn't seem like there's any innovation in that plan. Much like Bungie with Destiny. And speaking of which, Bungie needs to get off the Destiny teat and go back to it's baby. HALO needs a 'Reach' style infusion of life...

EDIT: Wait, wait, wait. I finally was just able to see the trailer (in all it's 144p glory). So you're telling me, 343, that the 'Spirit of Fire', which started it's way back home in the 2530's after destroying a Forerunner Shield World (and using it's drive in the process, thus no quick journey home) somehow ends up outside the galaxy at The Ark?! The Ark, that thing that Cortana and Master Chief (along with the Arbiter) nearly destroyed in HALO3 after going through a portal opened from a gateway at Earth? So, out of the whole galaxy, you went back to The Ark? WTF, 343?!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2017, 22:58.

28. removed Feb 6, 2017, 22:38 Rigs

* REMOVED *

News Comments > Fallout 4 High-Resolution Textures
8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2017, 22:30 Rigs

I so wish I could try these out but it ain't gonna happen any time soon. Aside from that fact that I couldn't download it to begin with, my SSD is only 40gb (Intel X-25). In addition, I still sport my long-suffering HD7850/1gb, which could only dream of being able to handle this. Not that I wouldn't try anyway. Fallout4 was a big project, something I almost finished last year before I got burnt out on it. One of the reasons was because it reminded me so much of Skyrim and Fallout3 (not doubt because of the same engine) and I'd just got done playing through New Vegas and before that had gotten through 60% of Skyrim LE.

Still, it would be nice to see Fallout4 in all it's glory. When I was deep into it, my daughter came around and promptly said, 'Daddy, that looks like shit.'. She was right, it did, but it was the only way to keep a smooth framerate. When I explained this, she kinda just rolled her eyes and said, 'then what's the point'? She's a PS3 pro so not seeing the game in 'all it's glory' is something she's not accustomed to. I've been so used to it, as a PC gamer, for so long, I'd forgotten that not everyone has to deal with it. I wonder if they'll bring these textures to the PS4 Pro and Xbox Project Scorpio versions?

=-Rigs-=

26. removed Feb 6, 2017, 19:05 Rigs

* REMOVED *

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2017, 21:44 Rigs

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 5, 2017, 21:21:
BUURN BRADY BURN MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Little over six minutes to go at 28-12...um, I don't think the Pats are gonna make it. Suits me fine, actually. They're starting to become annoying like Dallas in the 90's. Well, ok, not that annoying, but bad enough. I'm sure they can't pull off any heroics and last minute awe like my darling Giants can. You never count the Giants out when it's all on the line, they'll blow your mind. The Pats? Meh, not so much.

EDIT: And in the two fucking minutes it took to write that, the Pats brought it to 28-20...fuck me!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2017, 02:01.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2017, 20:14 Rigs

*I sit here at half time looking at the score of 21-3, Falcons*

Sooo...how 'bout them Pats, huh? Rotfl

To be fair, I'm not all that interested in the SB this year as I get ready for Speedweeks and the Daytona 500 (which is to say, 'our' Super Bowl) but I have to say...daaaaaamn! Quick! Someone deflate some balls (instead of egos)!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have more painting to do on the ol' #63 Bluesnews Ford Fusion (and then find out why I'm still nearly a second off the pace)... Race

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2017, 15:51 Rigs

{PH}88fingers wrote on Feb 5, 2017, 14:18:
Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 5, 2017, 12:53:
survival is the new WW2

Rust is still the best of them

Bite your tongue!

Empyrion is the best out there. It's everything No Man's Sky should have been and more! I can't believe how a supposed triple-A game got it so wrong while an Early Access game from a 'nobody' eastern European dev is getting it so right! I'm just glad there's a choice. I haven't tried Conan yet, too many horror stories and I have enough on my plate to keep me busy for a while. I need to get a new HOTAS for Elite. Playing on a Logi Rumblepad2 just isn't cutting it. Hmm, I wonder if my old CH Flightstick would work? Does Windows7 even recognize gameports anymore?!

=-Rigs-=

2592 Comments. 130 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo