Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. Currently, lurking and keeping my mouth shut.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2308 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Week
20. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Jul 17, 2016, 03:23 Rigs

NKD wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 00:22:
thecakeisalie wrote on Jul 16, 2016, 21:31:
I wonder how many fanatics will blame Derek Smart and everyone else they can try to find as a scapegoat instead of Chris Roberts.
Chris Roberts will go into hiding for 6 months or a year, and then he'll come back with another project and ask for more money and everyone he just ripped off with Star Citizen will pony up more cash.

No, I don't see him coming back from this if it does end up being shipped out bare-bones. He'll be this gens John Romero. It'll pretty much curb (if not outright crush) the rest of his gaming career. Maybe, maybe in a decade he might be able to come back quietly, as Romero did, working on mobile. But he'll never be able to shake off the shit storm that hits. Our Gods have failed us. Carmack, Romero, Molyneux, Garriott, Roberts, Holland..they've all fallen since their meteoric rise in the 80's and 90's. The only way any of them could ever make a comeback is by doing it the old fashioned way, a unmitigated blockbuster.

I think what it is, though, especially with Roberts, is that he's seen what little he can do and the reaction he gets from it. Pushing out dreams is so lucrative that having to actually make those dreams reality is too much effort. He got to eat his cake, he doesn't want to have to do the dishes now. The man is creative, there's no doubt about it and if he could write as well as he can world-build, he'd be a master novelist, up there with the likes of Clancy, Crichton, Clarke, Tolkien and Martin. He's good at convincing people to trust him. A master manipulator. But like George Lucas, he can't stop himself from tweaking his dream to fit everyone's tastes. And as such, it's never realized, never finished. The man probably does want everyone to have the ultimate space-trading-combat-sim but I don't think he knows where to stop. He doesn't understand that you can't please all the people all the time. Him and Peter Molyneux are two peas in a dream pod. They want everyone to have the game they've always dreamed of but it's just not possible. Even when you throw unlimited money at it. They both probably figured that with enough funds, anything was possible. 'If you wish for it hard enough, it'll come true'. And he probably thought he was on the right track, doing the right thing when everyone became ''yes' men', throwing money at him left and right and giving him praise for anything he did. That type of shit really does go to people's heads! Don't fool yourself that they have self-control. They're just as infallible has you or I.

On top of all that, Robert's probably realized that he didn't have to put as much effort into his dream machine because the competition wasn't. No Man's Sky is...well, pretty, but it looks to be a shallow experience on par with SW: Battlefront. Yet people have been going ape-shit over it since it was announced. His direct competitor, Elite: Dangerous, again, is rather shallow. Certainly nothing like what he has proposed with SC. It's a decent sim for the genre, no doubt, and I love to play it, but it's the space-trading equivalent of a walking sim. Braben and company are slowly getting it filled in some more, don't get me wrong, it's on a good track. But, as I said, it's nothing like what SC has been trying to achieve. Beyond them, what's left? EVE Valkyrie? Some indie titles with a fraction of the budget? Nothing is anywhere close to what SC] is suppose to bring to the table and Roberts knows this. He was probably waiting to see what would come out during the time of SC's development. Now that he knows there's really nothing out or on the horizon that could match even a quarter of what has been proposed, he's starting to dial down the hype, marketing and probably weeding out all the features that aren't financially viable. And it's by doing that he's probably realized that SC isn't going to be anything close to what people want.

I could be wrong but I don't think I am. I'm not happy about it. If SC becomes the Daikatana of space-trading-combat sims, it might just put a bullet in the genre before it ever got back on it's feet again.

I wondered to myself the other day what a past me would think if I went back in time to 1992, when I got my first 'modern' PC and told myself that the space-sim and flight-sim genres were cold husks, long abandoned? I'd probably cry for a pretty long time. Especially when I learned that those awesome encyclopedia-like manuals all went away! I think I might miss them more than the games themselves!

=-Rigs-=

So full of hate were our eyes, that none of us could see our war would yield countless dead, but never victory. So let us cast arms aside, and like discard our wrath. Thou, in faith, will keep us safe. Whilst we find The Path. - Halo:Contact Harvest
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Offline Mode Next Week; Death Star in September
10. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Offline Mode Next Week; Death Star in September Jul 14, 2016, 17:16 Rigs

Tyrric wrote on Jul 14, 2016, 17:09:
two new heroes including one larger-than-life character we know you've been patiently waiting for

Jabba?

I'm pretty sure it's Chewy...

=-Rigs-=

So full of hate were our eyes, that none of us could see our war would yield countless dead, but never victory. So let us cast arms aside, and like discard our wrath. Thou, in faith, will keep us safe. Whilst we find The Path. - Halo:Contact Harvest

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 14, 2016, 17:03 Rigs

Wow, that's some shady shit, RSI! I know that having to go through refund and 'he said-she said' proceedings is never a pretty process. In fact, it can get really ugly. You can clearly make out the dick waving by both parties here as they go back and forth. What I can't stand is the stupid legalize and chest thumping done by RSI's legal/PR department. All this bullshit added in on almost every sentence, heralding RSI's achievements in crowdfunding...blech! Give me a break. Go take that self-masturbation somewhere private. I don't want to see it and I'm pretty sure whoever else reads it does a huge eye roll, too...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2016, 23:53.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Offline Mode Next Week; Death Star in September
8. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Offline Mode Next Week; Death Star in September Jul 14, 2016, 16:21 Rigs

DangerDog wrote on Jul 14, 2016, 16:12:
I have a feeling they're going to do something stupid like have Walker Assault mode on the surface of the Death Star.

What? That sounds fucking awesome! I'd go for that in a heartbeat. Sure, it's not canon but at this point, we'll take anything. This game had so much promise and...FUCK! I just want to grab the producer and shake the shit out of him...'You were SO fucking close! SO CLOSE! Why didn't you go all the way, you twit?! You had to have known!' Argh! I nominate this version of STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT to be the digital version of blue balls. There's no other way to say it.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > System Shock Remake Funded
17. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 04:22 Rigs

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 10, 2016, 22:54:
I've gotten a LOT of Unity review codes for my channel...

How have I missed that channel after all this time? You talk about the same things I look for and watch on YT all the time. And not once has your channel been suggested to me. Maybe that means I'm not being monitored as much as I feared?

In any case, it's good to be able to put a face to a name. There's only a scant few here on Blue's that I can do that with. (Mr. James Allen of 'Out of Eight' being one) I wish I knew what everyone looked like, if only so I could have that mental picture while reading posts. One of us should set up a directory of sorts so fellow Blues members can look for each other. At least until we all agree on a site and time for the first annual BlueCon...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Democracy 3: Electioneering Released
4. Re: Democracy 3: Electioneering Released Jul 9, 2016, 17:59 Rigs

TRUMP blah blah blah blah Hillary blah blah e-mails blah gun control blah blah blah Brexit blah racism blah blah blah blah sexist right-wing capitalist pig (dot com).

Did I cover everything?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Starbound This Month
8. Re: Starbound This Month Jul 9, 2016, 17:46 Rigs

The last 'stable' release, in December, overhauled and added quite a bit and changed a number of things. It's a vastly added-to game since the beginning. For a while, it wasn't being updated that much, almost for a year. Scuttlebutt is either the creator lost focus, went bankrupt or was working on the 'backend'. And I can see that it takes a lot of work 'under-the-hood', when things are getting updated that you can't actually 'see'. But for over a year? A lot of people lost faith, thought it was another abandoned EA game, like the rest. But then, BAM! It started being updated with a vengeance. The intro mission has been changed around so many damn times I don't even know what it is anymore. The newer 'unstable/experimental' branch builds are borked in the beginning. You're supposed to wake up on your ship and then 'wake' the ship computer AI. But in these latest builds, you can hit 'E' all you want, that AI ain't waking up. There's a mod that fixes this, apparently, and lets you play the rest of it from there. I haven't tried it yet but it does work from what I've heard.

Anyway, is it worth going back to? HELL YES! There's lots to do! You can set up your own colony on a world while you go out exploring, finishing the quests or just gathering ore/credits and battling mobs. Whatever you want. The galaxy is no longer tiered, as it was before. It's wide open now, except the planets themselves have difficulty ratings that you can see when you select them in the map. Just hit up the STEAM page for it and then read in some of the older news, especially the last 'stable' release in December. That lists everything that was added. You'll be surprised if you haven't played it in a while! Also, don't forget to grab some mods! They add a lot of new content (like GUNS, so many damn guns!) and change the game in unique ways, if that's what you want. There's plenty to choose from...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Starbound This Month
1. Re: Starbound This Month Jul 8, 2016, 17:53 Rigs

Holy shizznit...I didn't think I'd ever see the day...This...this is like Star Citizen announcing they've gone GOLD or Valve announcing Hal-...well, ok, it's not that big...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Gone Gold - No Man's Sky
41. Re: Gone Gold - No Man's Sky Jul 8, 2016, 13:45 Rigs

Oh God, it's begun! The Great Florp Outbreak of '16 is upon us all! Save the women and children first! Florp's always go after the weaker individuals of the target species...And don't forget to read your Florp Outbreak Handbook! May God have mercy on our souls...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
41. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2016, 19:08 Rigs

I lurked for the first few years but my account says 9-10-2002...Happy Anniversary! We need a cool 20th logo! So many sites have closed or opened and THEN shut down in that time...to be the only gaming news site out there that isn't owned by some corporate conglomerate...you must be doing something right, Blue! How about another 20?! I'll be here...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Nox for Free
16. Re: Nox for Free Jul 2, 2016, 23:01 Rigs

What is it with some of you and these apps? Let me give away how old I am (or feel, as it were ) by remembering the shit storm that came around when STEAM was released. Ah, it was the end of everything, the world as we knew it, yes? *looks out window* We seem to still be here, though. And now STEAM is lauded. Funny how that works. But, I pretend to hear you think, that's the 'devil we know', Origin and uPlay will be the destroyer of us all! Really? Will it, though? Let's throw in iTunes and GOG Galaxy and we have the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse! Here's the rub...I've had all of them installed on my system for quite a long time now and I haven't had one bit of trouble from any of them. Me thinks someone is letting their hate for the companies behind the apps to show through and sour the experience. If you can use STEAM, I see almost no reason why anyone would have a problem with uPlay or Origin. Yeah, it sucks you have to use them, but just convince yourself they're a rebranded STEAM and have fun! Don't castrate yourself for the sake of virtue. Go ahead...no one's watching...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Xbox Fitness Sunset Announcement Jun 29, 2016, 15:36 Rigs

Those people are pissed! 'Course, I probably would be too. I can't believe that in all of MS's gaming departments, they couldn't find some unpaid intern to put together Xbox Fitness as a downloadable single-player...thing. No one is saying they want more content (I mean, they do but...), just stuff it together in one package and let them download what they already paid for, MS! Geezus on a cracker, this isn't rocket science! I'm guessing MS doesn't think consumers will remember every time they piss on their customers to save a buck? This doesn't just hurt them, it hurts any product that has a possibility of being shut down with no on-system content. MMO's are one thing and understandable, but this is something else entirely! You're not just fucking over these few customers, MS, you're screwing with the trust of millions for that NEXT 'software-as-a-service'...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Anarchy Online Turns 15
22. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 15 Jun 28, 2016, 01:44 Rigs

Good god, there's probably kids playing it now that weren't born yet when it was launched! Same for WoW! Geezus, is this what it's like to get old? I turn 38 in two weeks and it's really freakin' depressing...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 00:50 Rigs

Task wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 23:54:
Late Night News:

8 Minutes of System Shock Gameplay - 2016 Reboot From the demo being released tomorrow.

Wow, this is looking really good! Even for an alpha, it has some nice aesthetics! I never played the first System Shock (yeah, yeah, I know...no you can't cut up my GamerCard) but I recently made a run through the second one (up until the later stages where I got bogged down a bit and then totally forgot about it because Fallout4 came out). I could imagine that when it came out, it would have been quite the unique game (and can only assume the first one was the same in terms of ground breaking gameplay) but now, in 2016, it just feels like any other FPS with RPG elements. This new reboot looks really good, though, and I think I might just be interested in giving it a go...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Rise of the Terrans Released
14. Re: Civilizations III Rise of the Terrans Released Jun 18, 2016, 00:53 Rigs

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 14:29:
MattyC wrote on Jun 16, 2016, 03:53:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 22:59:
I contracted on Civ III back in 2001- it would be amazingly awesome if they released an expansion for it 15 years later, but I think we used 3dsmax4... not sure if that's Windows 10 compatible.

Unless something has changed or I am slowly going crazy you could render the units (if that is what you are talking about) however you wanted. It was still more or less sprite based. You could create 3d models and use those as the basis for sprites, but what you ended up using was just PCX files w/ transparency ini files, and flc files IIRC. Flc was an autodesk format, but they didn't lock it down like .max. Again, this is just what I remember from playing around with modding the game so I could be off after so many years.

Those sprites were made by rendering the 3d models + animations though with very specific guidelines, and recreating those is like remaking the entire art assets. And since then max format changed considerably...

What you see as modder is the output of the render pipeline, the actual art assets were 3d models that were then polished up post export. Recreating that is near impossible even with the source files... so an addon for civ 3 would be pretty much impossible to actually do nowadays. well... at least if you wanted matching art styles.

Ah, never underestimate the modding geek god with a 2001-era DELL/HP/Gateway P2/450, decked out with a Diamond Stealth S220 and two Diamond Monster3D-2 Voodoo2's in SLI with comparable rendering software sitting in the corner waiting for just a job such as this, my friend! We're out there and we're just waiting for the opportunity...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Rise of the Terrans Released
13. Re: Civilizations III Rise of the Terrans Released Jun 18, 2016, 00:48 Rigs

Quboid wrote on Jun 16, 2016, 09:22:
Rigs wrote on Jun 16, 2016, 05:52:
Slashman wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 22:51:
Yahoo, the most boring space 4x I've ever played just expanded.

Yes, the obligatory 'This game is boring' quote...we get it, some of you don't like it. What a shock. This isn't really need-to-know information...

EDIT: That doesn't give you permission to go back through my comments to find some superfluous posts, too...btw...

=-Rigs-=

That's not even a 4x game, it's a search engine. No wonder he found it boring. :-)

~ZING! Hahaha...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing
8. Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 18, 2016, 00:44 Rigs

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 23:32:
Rigs wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 23:17:
So, for someone that's just recently gotten into RPG's in a major way (was always a sim/strategy/wargamer), would you recommend Evercrac...I mean, Everquest? I know it's old, I know it's history. I was around when it started but never felt much need to play it until I got onto this RPG kick last year (helped by Fallout4, Wasteland2, DwarfFortress, The Witcher3 et al.) but seeing how it IS an older game and seemingly legendary in it's genre, I thought maybe I'd jump in to see what it was all about while I still had the chance. Curiously enough, I was interested and signed up for the Everquest Landmark thing which apparently bit the dust. And for some reason, I have absolutely no urge to play WoW whatsoever. Medieval setting with magic, fine. Fantasy setting with medieval and magic on-top, not quite my cup of tea. I tend to go with the more 'realistic' of the fantasy types. If that makes any sense...I guess it stems from my 'Realist' roots, I can't get my mind to just forget the fact that anthropomorphic ninja pandas are a thing and just go with it... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

Actually, Everquest Next bit the dust. Landmark just went to 1.0 status a week or so ago.

https://www.landmarkthegame.com/about-landmark

Not really a rpg per se, more like a prettier looking Minecraft.

Ah, right, 'Next'...shows how much I really pay attention, that's what I meant. I forgot there was two new...sequels? spin offs? variations? ...of Everquest coming out. Thanks for the correction!

MUGWUMP wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 00:11:
Don't get Landmark. It's amazing they're actually still selling it. I think it's a crime. It's not a game. It's a tech demo.

As for Everquest... It's where I "popped the cherry" so to speak, with mmos. So many awesome memories. But that was so many years ago. If it's the same experience as it was near the beginning then I say hell yea go for it, but I'm tempted to believe it's only harcore people still playing so you won't get the vanilla experience of traveling from Qeynos to Freeport for the first time. It was actually scary. Especially knowing that if you die and you can't get back to your corpse in time you lose everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpmgqIq-s0s

So many memories :p

Well, I might dip my toes in just to see what it's about and to say that, yes, I did play Everquest when my grandkids hear about it in a YoutubeXL 2100 online gaming history documentary 30 years from now...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: SourceForge under new management. Jun 18, 2016, 00:28 Rigs

NetHead wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 13:18:
Nice to see SourceForge may end up okay, or even useful and pleasant once more.

What they were previously doing was disgusting, though the new owners do seem sincere about righting that mess. Guess time will tell.

I would like a nice write-up on what exactly fucking happened! And how it got to be that way! I mean, it was the main err, source for many apps that you could find nowhere else and someone just came in and ruined the whole damn thing, practically overnight. And it stayed like that! No community backlash, no official inquiry - nothing. Unbelievable that something like that can happen in this day and age with such a well known and oft-used site...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 17, 2016, 23:30 Rigs

Creston wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 22:03:
Iow, CBS / Paramount are still being giant cockwallets.

Indeed, Comrade Creston, but that's not much of a shock, ja? I couldn't really get into the whole 'Prelude' video anyway. They had the talent, the budget, the cgi was first-rate (eh, to a point) but for some reason, it just felt like the actors were trying to hard to be...dramatic. Not in a 'chewing the scenery' way (well, except for ol' Apollo...as a Klingon, of all things!) but in a 'let's build up the tension by giving very detailed exposition while hitting just about every damn cliche we can on the way there!' It sounded like they were reading lines from a script. Not talking like they were recalling a memory. It just took me right out of it. Especially when they detailed their 'plan'. Everyone knew what everyone else was thinking, feeling, doing and recalled it with perfect clarity. I'm lucky if I can remember where the hell I left my keys when I came home last night! It's just not realistic. Yeah, I know, it's sci-fi, not reality. But I like a little real with my -fi, thank you!

Regardless, CBS are still asshats and that will never change...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing
3. Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 17, 2016, 23:17 Rigs

So, for someone that's just recently gotten into RPG's in a major way (was always a sim/strategy/wargamer), would you recommend Evercrac...I mean, Everquest? I know it's old, I know it's history. I was around when it started but never felt much need to play it until I got onto this RPG kick last year (helped by Fallout4, Wasteland2, DwarfFortress, The Witcher3 et al.) but seeing how it IS an older game and seemingly legendary in it's genre, I thought maybe I'd jump in to see what it was all about while I still had the chance. Curiously enough, I was interested and signed up for the Everquest Landmark thing which apparently bit the dust. And for some reason, I have absolutely no urge to play WoW whatsoever. Medieval setting with magic, fine. Fantasy setting with medieval and magic on-top, not quite my cup of tea. I tend to go with the more 'realistic' of the fantasy types. If that makes any sense...I guess it stems from my 'Realist' roots, I can't get my mind to just forget the fact that anthropomorphic ninja pandas are a thing and just go with it... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

2308 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo