Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 3016 (Veteran)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 15, 2018, 15:16 Rigs

MacBook users claim Apple overstates standby battery life and resists repairs.

Shocker. Come back tomorrow to read our thrilling two part investigation, 'Water is wet...but how 'wet'?'

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Outpost Zero Announced
2. Re: Outpost Zero Announced Jan 12, 2018, 02:48 Rigs

Looks ok, better than some but do we really need another space sci-fi survival base building game? Just off the top of my head, in EA (at various stages of pre-alpha, alpha and beta), Empyrion, Avorion (more ship building than survival but still spaaaace!), Osiris: New Dawn, Planet Explorers, Space Engineers, Astroneer, Eden Star, ARK, Stellar Overload (formerly Planet3 (cubed)), Starforge (ugh), No Mans Sky, Planet Nomads, Rodina, Pulsar, Star Rangers XE...the list just goes on and on. And, honestly, only a few of those have turned out to be even halfway decent. Some like Starforge are just plain rubbish. Others are works-in-progress, like Empyrion (which is my fav and in very active development) and No Mans Sky, which is rumored to have another update coming this month (there's a new ARG in progress that just started a few days ago, which usually happens before a major patch), not to mention a new overhaul mod was released for it that tries to get it to the level of the first gameplay reveal trailers. Still, the game is hundreds of times better than at launch and it's future is bright as long as Hello Games continues to bust their ass getting it to the promised state it was supposed to be at launch.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > New SteelSeries Rival Mouse Features Dual-Optical Sensors
24. Re: New SteelSeries Rival Mouse Features Dual-Optical Sensors Jan 11, 2018, 12:56 Rigs

Beamer wrote on Jan 11, 2018, 08:08:
Or just get one of the wireless mice that charge via a USB wire, so when the battery is low it just magically turns into a wired mouse. No lost time for charging, no useless devices, and at its worst it takes up no more room than a wired mouse.

My G700 does this as well. It'll stay wireless for about two days MAX and then I have to plug it in again, which isn't a dealbreaker or PITA or anything. It just turns it into a wired mouse again. In fact, I use the wired mode more than the wireless. I would imagine that wireless would come more in handy if you're on the couch or on the go. But at the desk, it's fine either way...at least for me. Wireless or not isn't what I look for when checking out mice.

Really, it just has to have major RGB abilities up the ass, yo! LOLWTFYOLO420LIT, AMIRITE?...ugh...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > New SteelSeries Rival Mouse Features Dual-Optical Sensors
19. Re: New SteelSeries Rival Mouse Features Dual-Optical Sensors Jan 11, 2018, 03:55 Rigs

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 14:08:
Logitech MX510/518 Forever....

Take your fancy sitty mice and get off my lawn!

Damn I miss my MX518! After 5+ years, I gave it to a good friend for his birthday and bought myself a G700. It's been really good to me and I like that I can rebind every single button to whatever I want and that it has a detachable cord, tho the (rechargeable) battery life is on the low side, only a day or two on a charge (and they say specifically >NOT< to use regular batteries, whether that's just fear-mongering so you'll buy their rechargeable replacements or what, I dunno). My friend had the MX518 (and the G15 keyboard with it) demolished within the space of four months.

I think the best 'modern' mouse out there EVER has to be the MX518. I've never seen a bad thing said about it and it's lauded as legendary to most. I've strongly considered getting a new one. But then, I like having tons of buttons on my mouse, so I was also considering one of those 'MMO' mice with the keypad-like thing on the side. THEN, I saw the STEELSERIES Rival500 and now I'm pretty sure that will be my next mouse. All the buttons, none of the keypad...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > CIG Responds to Crytek Lawsuit
4. Re: CIG Responds to Crytek Lawsuit Jan 7, 2018, 15:44 Rigs

Scandalous, I do say to you, sir! Scandalous!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
42. You All Are Out of Your Minds Jan 4, 2018, 23:19 Rigs

Wow, I was gonna talk about the weather and expected quite a few posts on such and I walk into the same tired political arguments. *sigh* No on is going to change anyone's mind here and the only thing anyone cares about is letting everyone else know their opinion, as if it's better that the rest, or somehow more informed. You guys are going in circles.

Anyway, down here in Sunshineland, without much of the sunshine, we had a whole lotta ice followed by spits of snow, sleet, frozen piss and whatever else was coming from the sky. Didn't matter what it was, it all froze on contact. It was all actually rather nice and I got a lot of nice video of the branches in the woods across the street crashing to the ground if the wind picked up more than 5mph. That is...until the power went out. I shouldn't have been surprised and really, I wasn't but damn. After Hurricane Hermine and Hurricane Matthew and then this year's Hurricane Irma (which knocked us out for 63.5 hours), you'd think with three days warning, they'd be prepared, yes? Hell no. I didn't call it in for about 15 minutes and I was still the first one to do so. At it's height, they had 6000 people without power and the temperature was dropping faster than a nerds chances of getting laid on prom night (or so I've heard from certain game advertising). This was at around 11am. Two calls in after repeatedly being told it was a minor problem (despite hearing no less than 4 transformers blow in a row as the load was transferred onto each when it went out....on, off, *BOOM!*, on, off, *BOOM!*, on, off, *BOOM!*, on, off, *BOOM!*, *silence*) over three hours, they gave up on giving estimates and I was told they'd brought in 'additional help'. Mmm. I bet. Finally, with the temperature in the house getting to 55.5, the power was restored at 6:40pm, shortly after the sun went down. We thought that was the end of it...

I had somewhere to go early this morning, and was just about to walk out the door at 4am when, you guessed it, the on, off, *BOOM!* started. Twice it happened with me yelling, 'don't you fucking DARE!', and luckily, it listened and stopped at two with the power staying on...for about six hours. At 9am, the last two *BOOMS!* sent it down again for another two hours. Luckily I wasn't home yet, and it popped on about 5 minutes after I strolled in the door...right around when I was saying 'Are you fucking kidding me?!'. Seriously, the power infrastructure in this country is balls. Scraggly balls. I see no reason, other than cost alone, why they can't bury the lines. This would save so much frustration during hurricane season. Yet they refuse. It's cheaper to just repair it when it's torn from the earth by 100mph winds. Whatever.

So I sit here, with the temperature hovering at 27 on it's way to the coldest of the season of 18, hoping...praying, that the power system holds. I got some really nice pictures of the ice covered trees, though!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 26, 2017, 01:21 Rigs

Sepharo wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 21:50:
Quinn wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 20:36:
[...] finish the product they always intended to make [...]

This has never happened in the history of game or software development.

That reminds me of the 80's and early 90's, before PC gaming got big and 'mainstream', devs would put out games, like say a simulation like Aces of the Pacific or Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe and then bring out expansion packs or plane disks. For racing sims, it would be track packs, like Indycar Racing 1 and 2 and Nascar Racing. But sometimes they'd say they would put out expansions or planned to but then never followed through or put it off for the sequel. X-Wing comes to mind, as does Tie Fighter. Both were to get another expansion but the X-Wing expansion (after B-Wing) was scrapped for full-on development of Tie Fighter and then Tie Fighters second expansion was scrapped so Totally Games could work another project. It was common for devs in interviews to say they would consider the possibility of bringing out expansions to user requests before release.

I say all this because even 'perfect' games, those that seem to be about as complete as they could possibly be (though Tie Fighter had some very notorious bugs in it's campaign and X-Wing's difficulty spikes had just as much notoriety) are never truly done. However, aside from demos, I couldn't imagine there being a successful 'early access' program during that time period. (All other things being equal, like lack of broadband/internet access, there still was BBS's, which is where most of us got our patches and demos at the time) Either you knew the devs or were lucky to be in a QA program for them...or you were previewing a title for a publication. There weren't many other options.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Gameplay Video
11. No subject Dec 24, 2017, 15:41 Rigs

verybad1 wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 15:19:
Bradley wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 14:28:
I saw like, 3 total graphical glitches in over an hour of gameplay video, and that counts as "janky as shit"? I swear, some of you won't be happy unless this game fellates you while you are playing it.

That certainly would make me happy.

That would be one stretch goal I'd have no problem funding!

I think what bothers me the most about this is that this is considered a 'vertical slice' and 'pre-alpha' which, at this point, seems to be very behind where they should be. I mean, given the time it's been in production, shouldn't we be at least to BETA by now?! It was supposed to be released years ago and they're still in a pre-alpha concept stage?! At this rate, it'll be decades before the game gets finished!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Gameplay Video
8. No subject Dec 24, 2017, 14:31 Rigs

I want to believe...that this won't be vaporware...

=-Rigs-=

General Discussion > Star Wars Spoiler Thread
33. Dec 22, 2017, 14:46 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 12:38:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 09:34:
'Last Jedi' Grosses Are Collapsing With The Worst Daily Holds Of All 9 Star Wars Movies
Surprised i say, surprised.

That's a bummer. It's the most interesting film since the original trilogy, even with its faults. That means they'll take Rian Johnson's original trilogy away. Not that he'll care too much. He'll just go back to writing and directing excellent indie films.

It also means that all future Star Wars movies will be soulless predictable schlock directed by the likes of JJ Abrams and Michael Bay.

It means that maybe fans don't want a 'dark' film in their favorite series (or trilogy) just for the sake of being 'dark'. I really think that was one of the thought processes behind this film.

'Empire was dark, so we have to be...usually the second in a trilogy is dark, so we have to be'. No.

'We have to be 'different' and 'unexpected' because it's never been done in a Star Wars film before!'. No.

'The fans wanted something different and not just a rehash of the old stuff in a new wrapper'. Eh...kinda?

Rogue One did a good job of taking established canon and making an original, exciting story out of it. The more times I watch it, the more I like it (and not just because it's set in the OT time period). Sure, they threw Vader in for 'fan service' but what they did with him was awesome and considered one of the best bad-ass scenes with the character. And it apparently came at the last minute and almost didn't end up in the film at all.

TLJ feels like Johnson didn't understand what made the OT great. Yeah, it was 80's camp at times but it also made you feel good to watch it, even Empire. At the end of RotJ, what did you feel? How did you think it would continue had the series kept going from there? I'm willing to bet that no one considered it'd be anything like it is in TLJ. The EU books/novels show this to be true. Even if they themselves got damn dark during the Vong era and got stuck in a loop of rebuilding the Republic (or something like it) only to tear it down again over and over, the first ten years or so of the EU was great, exciting and hopeful. Everything made sense (eh, for the most part) as to what happened to the characters after the films. They didn't all fall into mid-life depressions and go off to become hermits/space truckers. What I'm saying is that it didn't have to be deep, dark and depressing to be entertaining.

And we don't have to kill off everyone to get a clean slate with new characters, dammit! Stop killing my heroes for lulz!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway
21. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 04:06 Rigs

Jerykk wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 03:08:
Why would you...all you need is the DLC stuff, which is like in a total of 7 or 8 files. Big files, but just several files. If you're going to go the cdkeys route, why not just hop on TPB and get the dlcs for the base game? It's the same fucking thing. As far as I'm aware, they didn't change anything in the GOTY edition from the base+dlc.

Because he's not a pirate..? Far Harbor is great and easily the best thing BGS has made in years. It's easily worth $15. Nuka-World was alright and worth about $5-7. The rest was just filler, though Automatron did let you make some pretty overpowered companions.

But he still got his key from cdkeys? I get it's not like going to G2A or Kinguin but it's close enough. I mean, my thinking was if you're going to do that (ie. you don't have a moral affliction from doing so) then why not just go all the way. I'm not approving his doing so, just curious...

As for FO4, I haven't finished my first play-through yet (sad, I know). There's just so much to do and I've only got Far Harbor, Automatron and...one more, can't remember what one it was, but not Nuka World. I really don't want to start over again, the game seems so big. I think I have like 240 hours into my first play-through spread over two and a half years, so maybe that's why I have that impression...lol. At this rate, I'll be finishing up when they announce the next Elder Scrolls or the next Fallout... (speaking of which, I haven't finished my Skyrim SE play-through yet, either)

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway
19. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 02:56 Rigs

Heltorne wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 00:49:
What is this?? No posts that make sense allowed! You must have missed the memo that it's generic repetative negative comments about the steam sales only!

Nope, emptied what was left in the ol' hate jar yelling at the tv while all those fuckwits were praising Their Dear Leader for their bribe pay raise success. Puke

It's the end of the year, negativity needs time to recharge. Come back in a few weeks when the next WTF?!? thing happens.

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 20:51:
Grabbed a copy of FO4 GOTY for $23 on CDKeys, seeing as the Season Pass wasn't hitting $20 or less, and I've been itching for a new playthrough of FO4 to check out said season pass content. Too bad I can't give the base game away as I already own it. Because much like Meghan Trainor I'm all about that 'bass'.

Why would you...all you need is the DLC stuff, which is like in a total of 7 or 8 files. Big files, but just several files. If you're going to go the cdkeys route, why not just hop on TPB and get the dlcs for the base game? It's the same fucking thing. As far as I'm aware, they didn't change anything in the GOTY edition from the base+dlc.

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 20:51:
I'm kinda' itchin' for a space game. Elite D is on for $10. Is it worth it at that price? I still see the biggest complaint - recent - is that there really isn't much to do unless you buy all the other shit.

I don't know why I'm saying this since you have me blocked, maybe someone can quote me so you can see it...anyway, I've been in E:D quite a bit lately, just finally got my Viper MkIV and I'm in the middle of 'A-rating it' (modifying it). They just in the last few days released a new ship, a modified 'Type 9' called the 'Type 10' which is in the heavy HEAVY bomber/tank role. The thing is a beast because of recent Thargoid attacks on stations. The war is heating up at a really simmer pace but it's still exciting. X: Rebirth is ok once you get around the flaws. Maybe you can, maybe you can't. But with E:D, there's always somewhere to go that's new, always something happening that's new and always more money to make. You can't buy or build stations like in the ol' X games but you'll have your hand full enough that you won't mind. Just make sure to have a HOTAS or at least a stick. I use a Logi 3D Extreme Pro stick and a Logi Rumblepad2 and it works well for me. Some have gotten quasi-WASD controls working in E:D (as seen here) and while I've tried it, it takes some of the grandeur away from the whole thing to bring it down to that level, I think. It all comes down to expectations and patience.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Bridge Constructor Portal Released
7. Re: Bridge Constructor Portal Released Dec 20, 2017, 17:18 Rigs

Wash Washburne wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 13:13:
Beamer wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 09:39:
Wash Washburne wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 09:26:
So this is what Valve has been up to all these years, very creative stuff. They fused elements from The Incredible Machine with Lemmings and Portal'ed it. Derp...next release, Half Life Battle Chess!!

What would make you think Valve had anything to do with the development of this? Even the screenshot from the video says "Bridge Constructor is a registered trademark of Headup Games." Blue leads the article with "Headup Games announces."

Do you think John Madden makes Madden Football?

LoL, sarcasm budz

He knows, as I do, that the peeps frothing at the mouth on Youtube don't seem to know the concept of sarcasm...or licensing.

=-Rigs-=

General Discussion > Star Wars Spoiler Thread
28. Dec 19, 2017, 14:36 Rigs

I think a lot of people are miffed about the whole 'everything is unexpected' because up until now, you've been made to think and expect a certain way for Star Wars movies to go. You can't fault fans for being more upset about it being totally not what they thought it would be when Ep 7 had so much fan service and callbacks. If Ep7 had been a totally unexpected start to a new trilogy, a complete break (or almost), then Ep 8 would have gone down easier. You can't bait and switch and expect people to be 100% with it, especially with the history Star Wars has (both in universe and out).

I haven't seen the movie but I've watched all the reviews and spoilers and everything. I've gotten the gist of what happens. I can say that, really, the only things that bother me, like truly, are the ways Luke is handled. YT's Star Wars Theory put out a video the day after the movie came out with his first thoughts on the movie and it made sense. Basically, it mirrored what I wanted to see: a strong, triumphant Luke coming back from obscurity, finding the power he had long ago that he used to defeat Vader and taking the fight to the First Order. Picking up the mantle once again. Only, that's totally not what we get. Yes, it's personal, some people like this direction they took. But this is sci-fi, fantasy, and we don't have to have our heroes grow old and grumpy and guarded. The video explains it better than I, atm. They psyched us up the whole time in TFA, the whole point was to get to Luke and...yeah.

Oh, and the way they took Ackbar out is bullshit. Pure and utter bullshit. Again, science fantasy, guys! Everyone doesn't have to go out realistically like a bitch. He should've been the one to hyper that cruiser into the ship. What a fitting end that would've been. Star Wars are like a visual novel and you want your heroes to have fitting ends, if they must go. Things are just a little too down-to-earth here for my taste.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 20:36 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 19:46:
Whew! Both New England and San Francisco pull out last second wins. That really helped...

How the F did San Fran win?!? I turned it off in the early 4th thinking it was over...doesn't kill my joy at seeing the Rams absolutely trounce the 'can-do-no-wrong-we-were-champions-remember?' Seahawks...glorious! (First time I've watched football all season since NASCAR is done and over with)

Anyway, it's decided: I am NEVER remodeling my home - EVER! (Well, if I ever actually own one )

EDIT: I was just looking at the comments from the Sept 11th, 2001 post here....why? I was curious to see if anyone in our group now was there then or around that time (I started around Sept 24th and went back) and I didn't see many familiar names. Very interesting to read those posts on that day, all the misinformation about possible car bombs and flights hitting Camp David or the White House. I had no real point in looking, I was just curious. I also noticed that, man, Blue, you were a one-man news posting machine back then! I'd forgotten how much you used to post in one day. Either we've slowed down or the gaming industry has. I think it's a bit of both. I say 'we' because I used to ingest all that news and come back for more every day. Guess I'm just thankful for all the time and effort you've put in over the years. Not because it's Thanksgiving or your birthday or the site's birthday, it's just a normal December day and I appreciate it. Simple as that.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2017, 21:24.

News Comments > Police Simulator 18 Delayed Again
12. Re: Police Simulator 18 Delayed Again Dec 17, 2017, 02:02 Rigs

NamecaF wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 01:09:
Wow, the anti-cop sentiment from you people is astounding. It kinda makes me hope your car gets stolen or you get assaulted. Lets see if you have the same attitude with the cops then.

That's a very naive attitude to take about it. Hoping someone gets assaulted just because they express an opinion, mostly in jest? Are we on Youtube? Why not break out the 'N' word and some f-bombs while you're at it! So, what happens when you've been assaulted by the cops? Is that a bonus?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Police Simulator 18 Delayed Again
5. Re: Police Simulator 18 Delayed Again Dec 15, 2017, 14:12 Rigs

...the fictional US city of Loston Bay

Aw, I was so looking forward to going to Boston Lay...shit, I mean Fhloston Paradise...dammit! Make sure to have your Corbin Dallas multi-pass ready when stopped.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Interviews
30. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 14, 2017, 23:01 Rigs

Stormsinger wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 19:08:
SirKnight wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 14:01:
Jagacademy wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 12:41:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 12:31:

the fact is pretty obvious that PUBG just hit gold out of pure luck.

It's actually an interesting phenomenon. If you look at most wealthy and/or successful people, pure luck is responsible for the overwhelming majority of them. If one minor thing hadn't gone their way, none of it would have come to fruition.

It's not luck or a phenomenon. There is no such thing as luck or coincidences (your last statement actually hints at this). These are terms thrown around by those who can not see the big picture. Everything happens for a reason. There is no luck or chance.

Quantum mechanics says otherwise. Virtually everything that happens at the subatomic level is random, and no specific event can be predicted. I'll put my money on the view with a base of solid evidence, rather than some idealogue's unsupported statement.

Everything that's happened has happened before and will happen again. I'll take my full series dvds of Battlestar Galactica over this 'quantum mechanics' technobabble any day of the week!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Take-Two Launches Private Division
8. Re: Take-Two Launches Private Label Dec 14, 2017, 22:51 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 20:18:
Really? You actually listen to anything that idiot has to say? Lol, yeah ok. Rolleyes

Let me just ask you this one thing, Cutter...where does this fit in with what you just said?

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

You're a fucking hypocrite and all-round asshole of the highest measure. Even Canada is saying, 'Hey, ay, we're not taking responsibility for this, eh'

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Blitz Edition
1. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Blitz Edition Dec 14, 2017, 22:24 Rigs

Hmmm, I was just trying to get this working (the original release, I mean) yesterday with my Logi Extreme 3D Pro stick and, well, I ran out of buttons in like 10 seconds. Put myself on the runway in some field and...had no clue how to start the engines. Looking in the controls, there's the carbs, the props, the magnetos, the fuel cocks ('the fuck?!) but nothing that says - 'Here, noob, press this to get your sorry ass in the air fly!'

God, I must be getting old, I don't remember it being this difficult to shoot down a Messerschmidt before...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2017, 02:36.

3016 Comments. 151 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo