Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. Currently, lurking and keeping my mouth shut.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2630 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
49. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 4, 2017, 15:15 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 12:59:
Sorry, when you see a classic it bears repeating so here goes

Don't you dare mock me. lol

Have you tried any of the lactaid products. Their milk is a little sweet but they also make a cottage cheese. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THmFi1J5sxM

=-RedEye9-=

Enjoy your adventure with Redmask on the Ignore list, twerp. Your attempts at trying to provoke me are so obvious that I'm surprised you tried at all. But maybe you don't know any better. (Comprehension of simple things not being your strong suit n' all) You think you're the first one to mock my signature? Like I said, if that's the best you got, go home. You're but a bored child, plain for everyone here to see (except you). Nothing you say or do will change anything, much like your life up to this point.

TL;DR - 'Ah, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package, how efficient of you'

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar Free Trial
2. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 4, 2017, 15:07 Rigs

- Cannot play in Offline Mode

WTF? You'd think it would be the opposite. And why even restrict it at all? Aside from the fact that maybe if it was available, people could play it indefinitely but there are other ways around that if it's such a big deal. I don't get it.

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

45. Re: On Sale Mar 4, 2017, 11:03 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 01:54:
<very well thoughtout post I hate to snip>

In a nutshell, everything you write either makes no sense comes across as incoherent, aloof in meaning, or made up and more probably a combination of all. I do feel sorry for you at times and hope you mitigate your mental funk.

I think you took him down better than I ever could, to be honest. I really don't know what the &*^% got into him lately but whatever. Maybe it's the 'Trump Effect', who knows. Just know, my friend, that there are those on here that appreciate the time and effort put into a well thought out and researched post, however long.

=-Rigs-=

42. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 4, 2017, 00:36 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 20:27:
Once again with the mini diatribe. Ease up. I understand you are very proud of your lengthy posts, even going so far as to sign each one with your name and that's special.

It's obvious you can't change the length of your posts and I'm cool with that. Later

Don't you dare mock me. Just what the hell is your problem? I never said anything to you or about you until now and all of a sudden you have this huge problem with my posts when I haven't changed a damn thing in decades. It's bullshit. Your argument is bullshit and I'm callin' you on it. If making fun of the way I sign my posts is the best you can trot out on the field, stay home.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2017, 00:56.

41. Re: On Sale Mar 4, 2017, 00:27 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 21:30:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 17:28:
amen, now keep your word.

I didn't force you to read my comment in this thread. The hidden text and notification implies that. If you are unable to handle my comments maturely, perhaps it would be best for you to stop reading them.

I'm thinking maybe he's constipated or something. He always seemed to be an ok guy before and now, out of nowhere he starts acting like a bored 16 year old commenting on Youtube, trying any way to start trouble. Disappointing. I hate to throw anyone on the 'Ignore' list but he may have to join Redmask if he doesn't find something else productive to do with his spare time... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 4, 2017, 00:19 Rigs

1badmf wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 19:12:
Cutter wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 12:32:
When is is ever a good idea to buy refurbished anything?

pretty much all the time. it's cheaper than new while being good as new (usually). and if it's not it usually comes with a shortened warrantee still.

dell sells a lot of really good refurb monitors on their website. i bought a 27" VA monitor from them about 10 years ago for about half of what it cost new. best monitor i ever bought. i would recommend going the refurb route from a reputable source for anyone.

this story is shitty but i'm sure google will make it right. there's no way that didn't have a warrantee.

As a PC builder, I encounter refurbs all the time but as a hobbyist, I have two general rules - no refurb'd monitors and absolutely, positively never refurb'd hard drives. Ever. Those things break by looking at them wrong (mechanical drives I'm talking about here), getting a refurb'd one is just asking to get spanked. I've bought refurb'd memory which was ok, it was only for a backup box but it worked out fine. Though I didn't realize it was refurb'd at first and only found out when looking at the receipt in the box at arrival. So I was kinda skittish about it for a little bit and watched it like a hawk just to make sure.

=-Rigs-=

32. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 3, 2017, 18:23 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 13:00:
When you write multiple paragraphs it is sometimes hard to glean what it is that you're trying to say.

When you wrote (Yes, not an earth-shattering technical question, I'm just really curious about others' experiences) I read it as the technical question was not earth shattering because you also dealt with technical issues in the body of your novella.

And I responded accordingly, questioning your meaning, or at least I think I did.

TLDR Less is more, clarify, refine and condense. Not everything has to be War and Peace.

You can't be serious. Please tell me you're being sarcastic and trolling me because if you are being serious then...geezus. I'm just dumbfounded by this, what am I not seeing? I've read threads on this site just in the last few days that go on with multiple quotes that take up half a page and no one has complained about them. This thread, which involves Slick, devolved from Mass Effect Andromeda into a political back and forth with large, quoted posts and except for Verno, no one said a fucking word about it. And no one gives Slick shit for it. I write four rather small paragraphs and it's all of a sudden a 'novella'. This isn't the only place I write on a forum and in comparison to those posts on those forums, the ones I write here are practically nothing. And I've had no complaints there or in the last nearly twenty years here. So, why now, when it was never a problem before are some of you having such a problem with it? We've had this discussion before, just two weeks ago, this wasn't the subject of what I posted here in this thread. So why is it coming up again? I just really don't understand what the problem is, that it's so bad you have to bring it up again. Nvm, I know now. I even put on the top of the FIRST post that if you didn't want to see it, MOVE ALONG!

When you write multiple paragraphs it is sometimes hard to glean what it is that you're trying to say.

What does that even mean?! That's the whole reason I wrote multiple paragraphs, to explain why I'm asking the question. That's like Fundamental English 101. It's one of the first things they teach you in Journalism, be concise, get to your point but explain your path there in an engaging, thoughtful and clear manner. I don't repeat anything (unless, like now, I'm hella confused) and I don't (usually) go off on tangents for pages at a time. I just...I don't even...

As for me saying it wasn't an 'earth-shattering technical quesiton', I meant it wasn't a 'heavy subject that required specific knowledge or research I needed an answer to' just something personal and (as you said) emotionally-based. Are my words really that hard to understand? That's not meant as a jab, I'm truly asking because I really don't see it. I don't. I do not understand what the big deal is. So you're going to have to explain it in detail.

EDIT: Just looking through my prior posts, I found this gem you left on a prior thread:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 11:15:
you could have saved everyone the trouble of responding since you obviously knew what the issue was, and blue needs to start charging by the word.

So, you are just trolling. For some reason, why I don't know, you're fixated on the length of my posts and jumped on the bandwagon with Redmask. I couldn't even begin to understand why but now I don't really care. I'm not changing how I post. It's not any different from anyone else and no one else has ever complained up until someone brought it up during an argument here. You act like my posts inconvenience you in some way. You don't want to see it, fine, put me on ignore then.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2017, 19:50.

News Comments > Game Developers Choice Awards
22. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 3, 2017, 01:46 Rigs

Flatline wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 22:45:
Minecraft scratches a lot of those itches but it isn't quite there. Subnautica actually comes closer but it doesn't quite scratch the itch that wandering through Skyrim or any of the elder scrolls games do.

Firewatch nails it hard but the game area is small enough that it makes me basically just want more.

I totally get it, trust me. I was being a bit of a smartass before but I have the same feelings only I want like a modern-ish Minecraft with Dwarf Fortress-style RPG elements and world building. Or better yet, maybe something like Ultima Ratio Regum but 3D with crafting and free roam building (like Minecraft)! Oh my god, if only! I'd never leave the damn house! A super deep open world free building roguelike RPG?! And make the world dynamic - weather (especially, very important), time, random events. I'm kinda half and half on a procedural generated or 'hand (purpose) made'. Both have their benefits and faults. You can have a world like The Witcher 3 or a world like Empyrion and/or Space Engineers. Sometimes the worlds, landscapes and vistas in Minecraft are mind blowing but it's rare and at the end of the day, it's still Minecraft.

But I think I understand what you're looking for and I can definitely agree that we need a game like it...

=-Rigs-=

20. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 2, 2017, 22:25 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 22:11:
Not sure if your question is of a technical nature, sounds more emotional to me.
Be wary of filling a hdd to the maximum, especially the os partition http://serverfault.com/questions/10475/how-much-space-should-you-leave-free-on-a-hard-disk

I specifically said it wasn't technical in nature at the end of the post...unless you're being sarcastic, in which case it went right over my head... Wacko

Honestly, I've been extremely lax with my hard drives lately, which is kinda why the question popped up because I've been trying to clean the drives off in order to defrag them and in prep for a new OS install (my current Win7 install is being held together by duct tape and glue as it were, because of near constant installing, uninstalling and reinstalling). Both drives are over 40% fragmented, which, I know, is utterly appalling for a 'hardcore' gamer to let get like that. My system drive, however, is on my SSD, an Intel X-25 40gb, so no worries on that front, thankfully, other than the age of the drive, which is six years currently. She probably has another good four years for an even decade before she craps out and I hope to have the system upgraded or outright replaced by then anyway. *shrugs*

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 22:25:
I've certainly kept games around for literally years telling myself, "I'll get back to it.." but once I know I'm done with a game, I've never had an issue with uninstalling it..

Well, that's part of it, certainly. I still have *some* quests open and there's always the 'New Game++' mode as I stated before. So there's always something to go back to should I have the itch but then, do I just reinstall if I get that itch or just keep it there?

=-Rigs-=

18. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 2, 2017, 21:32 Rigs

NOTE: This kind of posting has, for some reason, gotten complaints recently so if you don't want to read it, *points straight ahead* there's the door...

Ok, I'm having a very odd...dilemma? Something I don't think I've encountered before, at least not recently enough to remember. See, I have Dying Light EE and it's expansion installed. I've finished both, loved both except for the STUPID GOD-AWFUL FUCKING ENDING to the expansion. (Seriously, little advice, play to the last mission of the explansion (it'll warn you) and then quit and consider it finished. Then watch the ending on Youtube. It's really not worth the bullshit to get there!) The ending to the original game was ok, ending on somewhat of a sequel-baity note. But the ending on the expansion just...geezus.

Anyway, I have a few side quests, minor ones, that I hadn't finished in the game that you can go back to and you do have the option of starting a new game with your skills and weapons already. But I don't know if I'm totally ready to jump into that campaign again, so soon after finishing it. And the game is taking up nearly 25 gigs on the ol' hard drive, which isn't a lot, especially out of 2 terabytes, but I have other games I want to install and I could use the space (I have about 30gigs free currently on that 2tb and about the same amount on my other 2tb drive (they're identical Western Digital Caviar drives if you must know).

My problem is that I just can not bring myself to uninstall the game. I just can't do it. I've tried several times and I talk myself out of it every single time. I'm curious if any of you have ever had the same issue, maybe where you kept a game installed and never really went back to it but couldn't get rid of it either?

(Yes, not an earth-shattering technical question, I'm just really curious about others' experiences)

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2017, 22:19.

News Comments > Game Developers Choice Awards
19. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 2, 2017, 20:42 Rigs

Flatline wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 12:52:
Glad to see Firewatch catch a few awards. I played it once a year ago, and I keep coming back to it every few months.

I know it's a walking simulator and the story kind of ends on an off note, but something about it really got to me.

Also, going through the director's commentary, you don't notice it, but there is a massive amount of variability going on under the hood.

Between Firewatch and Skyrim, I really, really want a pure exploration/hiking game. Something massive where you can hike, climb peaks, maybe hang glide, spelunk, raft, maybe do some tools to set up orienteering races, topo maps, GPS, etc.. Maybe even some survival woodscrafting if you really wanted to.

In my mind's eye I call the game Range. Modeled after a smoosh of the Sierra Nevadas, the Cascades, and the Appalachians. Maybe include some geography similar to Zion or the Grand Canyon. Make it moddable so you can add terrain modules and share them. Create a central server that you can opt into that over time tracks players who follow tracks and create use trails and use campsites and semi-permanent modifications from frequent use.

Throw in a VR option and some solid screenshot/photography tools and I think you have a complete package.

I don't know how much of a market there'd be for a game like that, but I'd pay for it.

Good news! Your game has already been made and it has a HUGE market! Come join the fun, you've been missing out!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > DiRT Rally for Linux
1. Re: DiRT Rally for Linux Mar 2, 2017, 20:27 Rigs

WooohoooHOOO!!! Let's go racin', boys! Race

#DiRTInMyBlood #JaneStopThisCrazyThing and, of course...#Feminism

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Gameplay Video
11. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Gameplay Video Mar 1, 2017, 16:04 Rigs

I think, while still cringy AF, what you're hearing is the commentary track. Her voice 'in game' sounds like it's coming from comms, but her 'clear' voice is the commentary. The demo guy said he turned off music to hear the commentary at the start of the video. Doesn't change the fact that it all sounds horrible.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Avatar Game Announced
7. Re: On Sale Feb 28, 2017, 16:06 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 16:03:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 14:54:
I don't think anyone asked for this game.

As a sci fi fiend, I thought you'd be down for this.

Eh, after the first cash-in game and considering that Avatar hasn't been relevant in like three or four years, I agree. Maybe they're planning for it to be released after the next movie, or in anticipation of the next one, but right now, it's as if they're making a Star Trek: Nemesis game...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Leak Reveals Middle-earth: Shadow of War?
32. Re: Leak Reveals Middle-earth: Shadow of War? Feb 28, 2017, 16:01 Rigs

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 13:14:
sauron wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 10:12:
Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 16:40:
Even Sauron isn't immune to everything.

This is true. I have a weakness for kittens, especially fluffy ones.

*Rides a big giant fluffy kitten into battle*

*Trots behind on his Pomeranian Puppy O' War*

=-Rigs-=

24. Re: Leak Reveals Middle-earth: Shadow of War? Feb 27, 2017, 18:55 Rigs

Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 16:38:
Uhm, yeah, that's kind of the whole point of the nemesis system.

Huh, I guess I didn't understand it the way I thought. I'll have to play it some more, I guess. Been buried in finishing Fallout4...

=-Rigs-=

16. Re: Leak Reveals Middle-earth: Shadow of War? Feb 27, 2017, 16:28 Rigs

Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 15:26:
Pretty sure you can headshot that guy? I think I saw him. Put a few arrows in his skull and down he went. The annoying thing is that since you can't melee him, you never behead him, and he keeps coming back. Eventually I just ignored him.

They come back?! I didn't know that. I'm about halfway through my first run, still gaining ground here, losing it there. The smack talk when you encounter previous Orcs that you've lost to is awesome. Every game should have shit like that. I was never big on LotRs though. As I've said before, I'm not a fantasy nut. But the game was fun, so it kept my interest. I am confused some by the lore. Ok, so Sauron is the big baddie. But you don't fight him in the first game, you fight a lower minion? And who is Sauron anyway? What's with the ring? Is that the 'same' ring? (So, to forge a ring, you basically just beat on it with a hammer until something magical happens? ) I wanna say Hi to Gandalf, where's he at?...oh, what's that?!...what does this do?... Wacko

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Gone Gold - Mass Effect: Andromeda
27. Re: Gone Gold - Mass Effect: Andromeda Feb 26, 2017, 21:32 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 26, 2017, 19:56:
Here is the skinny on the aftermath.
https://web.archive.org/web/20060205051922/http://www.gonegold.com/pages/1/index.htm

Thank you, RedEye, that was what I was looking for, actually. Just some closure. I'd starting going there pretty regularly for a while and then all of a sudden it was gone. I forget what I thought at the time but I just focused more on Blues and that was that, I just always wondered what happened. I'm curious if Rich is still alive? I know he was really sick. But, again, I appreciate the link, it was exactly what I needed!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Gone Gold - Mass Effect: Andromeda
20. Re: Gone Gold - Mass Effect: Andromeda Feb 26, 2017, 18:50 Rigs

Ok, time to derail this derailed thread...whatever happened to the site, Gone Gold? I used to go there all the time and then, *poof*, it was gone. I miss it...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2017, 18:30 Rigs

AngelicPenguin wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 16:43:
If you waited 8 minutes to read it, you are one patient dude.

Indeed, I am, you adorable little fluff ball...or I like to think I am...plus there's not much that goes on around here, so staring at a progress meter tends to be a highlight of my day. Wacko

Slick wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 19:27:
Think about the other things you could have used that 8 minutes for, you could have totally completed the Titanfall 2 singleplayer campaign for instance.

HA! ~ZING!

No, it's not my system, it's my shitty satellite internet connection. My system has no problem with loading up any page I throw at it, I do have 16gigs of RAM, which is plenty. That 33.6k modem remark isn't far off the mark, our connection is almost perpetually throttled because DishNet gives you a paltry 10gigs a month for day access (and keeps the much more worthy 50gigs parked behind the 2am-8am shift), so that's typically gone in 6 days, seemingly whether we actually use it or not, but that's another story (we had the power go out last year when Hurricane Hermine came through for 36 hours (almost exactly) and before the outage we had 2.4gigs left on our 'day' data cap. When we got our power back (remember the modem and router obviously had no power whatsoever during this time), that 2.4gigs was, of course, gone). That leaves 24 days of the month throttled at near-ISDN speeds (128k) (unless I stay up real late or get up real fucking early), all for the pleasure of giving them $80/month (with a two-year contract!). Up until a few weeks ago, they were the only 'broadband' (psh!) provider in my area - no cable, no dsl (yes, I live in the middle of fucking nowhere!). But I've recently learned that Windstream is in the area but I have yet to make contact with them since other 'life' shit has been bogging me down.

Hopefully, in the next month or so, we can get out from under this ridiculous setup. We might have to pay the contract off but at this point, I don't care one bit if it means getting actual broadband speeds without a damn data cap!

=-Rigs-=

2630 Comments. 132 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo