Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2842 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
8. Re: Evening Safety Dance (LONG POST! DON'T READ IF YOU CAN'T BE BOTHERED!) Sep 6, 2017, 16:34 Rigs

ldonyo wrote on Sep 6, 2017, 15:51:
If anyone other than Verizon had even a half-assed signal where I live, I would switch in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, the closest anyone gets is eighth-assed, which is T-Mobile, or sixteenth-assed, which is a tie between AT&T and Sprint, both of whom required playing a form of Hide-and-Go-Seek to find a signal while remaining indoors. T-Mobile just has a weak-to-suddenly-nonexistent signal, with random bits of decent connection scattered here and there.

I just got myself a new phone, a MotoG4 Play with Verizon. I'm not a smartphone guy. I hardly know jack about them. I know more about iOS only because of the iPad2 we have. I did have an LG 'Lucky' but it was a hand-me-down, scratched and with almost no storage space. Once you got it all updated, you'd be hard pressed to install anything else. Your measly 4gb was pretty much gone. And the only real service available for it was for $45 a month. Yeah, um, no. So while my Verizon service on my new phone is $50/month, it's actually worth it. That gives me 7gb's of data to play. I'm also still on DISH for my home internet, which is slow and typically throttled to 128k around a week after reset.

So, when I got this new phone, I was insanely curious to see if I could tether it to the PC and use the 4G as an internet connection instead and if I could, how would that compare to the DISH connection? In short? HOLY CHEESY FUCK BALLS! I was absolutely floored by the difference! Not only was it faster, it responded faster (because of no satellite latency) and the pages came up as fast as my system could render them! THIS...this is what I've been missing for over a year! I couldn't believe it. It's like night and day. Since then, I've been using it for almost everything I do on my PC and I've only used about a gig and a half out of my 7. Pages render instantly, Youtube buffers almost instantaneously and then I tried a direct download of a file and got close to 3.5/mbps! Amazing.

What does this all mean, then? In my area of north central FL (currently in the middle of Hurricane Irma's path), Verizon has a decent signal strength almost everywhere. Most places don't give me full 4G/LTE but I've not seen it below 2 bars anywhere, inside or out. Verizon also provides an 'unlimited' tier (mine is 7gb data for $50/month plus unlim txt and phone) for $80/month. A friend of mine in KY has ATT and just got their 'Velocity' home wireless hotspot...thing. (Sorry, I really don't know much about mobile!) And he got an 'Unlimited' plan, but it says after a certain point, you get throttled, only he says he hasn't been even after using nearly 70gb's of data this month! He even showed me a picture of the device's screen and it said 70. something something used and he said it was still going strong and he does everything on it.

My plan is to see if Verizon has something similar and drop DISH. I suggest anyone out there that has a similar situation to look into it if you're in a rural area and have no other option BUT satellite. This is SO much better, in every way. We pay $70/month now for shit, so this might be a blessing we never knew existed...

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ark Expansion Announced
9. Re: Ark Expansion Announced Sep 4, 2017, 09:07 Rigs

*whispers* Psst! Hey!

*points to Empyrion*

You're welcome.

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

News Comments > Morning Patches
3. Re: Morning Patches Sep 2, 2017, 00:37 Rigs

• Itís now possible to craft multiples of the same product at once

• Added the ability to craft more of the same product on top of an existing stack

• Improved transferring items between inventories

• Added a toggle to switch from buy to sell screen on the trading menu

• Fuckin' finally! Nearly every other space survival sim out there has this out-of-the-box and it only took Hello Games a year to get it in...grrrr...

That said, I'm having an absolute blast with NMS now. Seriously, if any of you are on the fence, jumping in now would be perfect, it's really been improved since launch. I really can't wait until we get the next new big patch. Maybe factions and space battles between fleets? Or ownable fleets?! Drool2

I also wouldn't mind being able to buy custom deco parts for my ship and make it look like I want it to. There's some bad-ass fighter designs that I've seen, like the one that was almost a dead-ringer for a Y-Wing but they typically have much fewer inventory slots being fighter class. I was able to get a hauler with 47 slots! I had a shuttle with 25 slots before it. But about half of the slots on the new one needed to be repaired and that gets pricey quick! And just fixing the 'Technology' slots on it are half-a-mil each, so that will have to wait. Since I've got a ship now that I'll probably have until the end game, I'm looking for a nice freighter when I have the money saved. I found one that looked just like a Star Destroyer but they wanted 20 million for it and I was...a bit short (less than a million at the time). So I'll have to go back to the system when I get some money together and grab it. Really good stuff, almost X3 quality in places.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > ARK: Survival Evolved Officially Launches
    11. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 30, 2017, 03:33 Rigs

I dunno, for some reason, every time I see or think of ARK, I think of the very under-appreciated 'Sir, you're being hunted!'. Don't ask why, I haven't a clue. Just my brain, for some reason, connects these two in some way. But really, I don't know why Sir isn't a top of the list, blockbuster. I mean you get thrown on an island out of five, all procedurally generated so it's different each time, you have to go to each island and search for pieces of the 'dimensional transporter' that put you there without getting killed by BRITISH ROBOTS on a hunt! What TF more could you want?! Everything has that Victorian England-vibe, all prim and proper and the robots are adorable! Even though they're trying to kill you and are really good shots. There's even a robot hunter on a robot horse! And let me tell you it chills you to the core when you hear it around. It's a genuinely nerve-wracking game of hide and seek and fuck, you'd think it would be a best seller on top of the STEAM lists going on three years like Counter Strike by now! Nope, instead we got crap. Oh and a poorly optimized turd thrower. Whoopie!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Fallout 4 Creation Club Beta
    11. Re: Fallout 4 Creation Club Beta Aug 29, 2017, 16:31 Rigs

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 12:39:
    But did anyone else notice this credit system?

Yeah, how is this 'free' when you have to have 'credits'? Obviously, you'll have to 'buy' credits, which doesn't make it 'free'. Or am I reading this wrong? I can't find anything that tells it straight...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > XCOM 2: War of the Chosen for Windows Released
    22. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen for Windows Released Aug 29, 2017, 14:07 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 13:41:
    Peter M. Smith wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 12:09:
    Flatline wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 12:03:
    54? I paid 32 dollars like 2 days ago. It's 40 bucks retail and will probably go on sale pretty soon.

It's also a 30 gig DLC. There's a lot of content and it probably should be seen as a proper expansion and not just "DLC".

Cutter will conveniently forget to tell you that he's talking about Canadian dollars.

Or you could try not to be like every other self-obsessed American asshole and just assume that when someone is throwing out different numbers they're from somewhere else, jackass.

Or maybe they can be a self-obsessed American asshole because 90% of the rest of the people on the boards are self-obsessed American assholes (me included) and since we have majority, you should consider making it clear you're not a self-obsessed American asshole by pointing out that you're a self-obsessed Canadian asshole instead..and then we all lived happily-ever-after...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Dead Alliance Released
    1. Re: Dead Alliance Released Aug 29, 2017, 13:55 Rigs

Zombie-MOBA. Capture your opponentís home base to win, maneuvering between lanes in a zombie jungle.

Oh piss off, mate...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > X4: Foundations Announced
    24. Re: X4 Foundations Announced Aug 28, 2017, 22:20 Rigs

I'm curious to know if Roberts and company actually failed to finish the game, whether from fatigue or financial reasons, and were to put all the game's assets and dev tools on the Net and downloadable, would the die hard fans actually finish the game for him? Like, one day, Robert's posts on Twitter...

You know what, fuck it! Derek Smart is too much of an asshole and I'm tired of his shit! I'm putting everything we have so far on a dropbox and I'm going on vacation for 20 years or so. You can thank Derek!'

Would people actually finish what he started even if they aren't getting paid? Because I honestly think that, yes, they would. Take a look at the fallout from Falcon4's demise and see the incredible effort that was taken to keep that one alive. I really think that even though millions have been poured into SC, the fans would put the rest of it together just for the ability to play it from start to finish.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > X4 Details Today
    34. Re: X4 Details Today Aug 28, 2017, 00:31 Rigs

Midnight wrote on Aug 27, 2017, 11:01:
    Please, EGOSOFT, just give us X3 but better. Rebirth was not what fans wanted at all.

Egosoft shit the bed with Rebirth. We all know this. Even as an X fanboy, I knew this immediately upon playing it at launch and even after multiple expansions and patches, I still won't touch it. It's still an unmitigated mess. But X4 truly looks to be what everyone thought Rebirth was going to be, the real sequel to X3:AP and X3:TC.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
    2. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 24, 2017, 23:19 Rigs

If ever aliens needed a reason to sterilize the human race, Shkreli is it. He'd be proud of it, too. The man is scum on so many levels, I'd have more sympathy for some serial-killers!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon Announced
    2. Re: Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon Announced Aug 24, 2017, 23:14 Rigs

Paradox: 'We need more DLC ....What part of the world isn't on the map yet?'

*Paradox begins pummeling with bats and brooms as their master (accounting) commands*

*half-glue horse corpse lets out deadly Jade Dragon DLC fart as gases escape during decomposition*

Paradox: 'And so it has gifted us once more! We are ever grateful.'

*horse corpse is wheeled into storage warehouse until the next offering is needed*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced
    12. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 21, 2017, 20:16 Rigs

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 19:56:
    The update to AoE is pretty substantial. I'm honestly surprised; that's at "whole new game" level of work. If Microsoft still owns all rights to the AOE titles, it's also not a surprise they're going to put it on their own store. What's the difference between the Windows Store, Origin, the Epic Launcher, and Uplay? Nothing, just none of them are Steam.

Thank you! Finally someone said what I've been thinking every time this issue comes up. What the hell IS the difference?! None in my eyes. STEAM, Origina, uPlay, Galaxy, freakin Stardock Central, what is the difference? They all do the same thing and I have STEAM, Origin and uPlay on my system. If a game needs one or the other, so be it. Is it a pain? No. Certainly not as much as a pain as it was to get the cd/dvd and put it in the drive and install it that way. Windows Store? Eh, whatever. Does it have games I want to play? Yup. Do I care that it's on another storefront? Nope. Do you care if you buy a game from Amazon, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or eBay (if the price is the same)? Nope. The only problem I have ever had with having Origin or uPlay on my system along with Steam is that Origin kept trying to start up with Dragon Age Origin when I ran it. I renamed Origin's exe file and BOOM! Problem solved.

EDIT: CJ, man, you're paranoid. Put the tinfoil hat in the drawer and let yourself have some fun!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Prey Trial Version Released
    37. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 18, 2017, 21:02 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 18, 2017, 18:39:
    jdreyer wrote on Aug 18, 2017, 14:56:
    Rigs wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 20:38:
    jdreyer wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 18:49:
    We would expect nothing less from you sir.

~ZING!

Shortest Rigs post ever.

I found it deliberately obtuse and meandering at times.
    The use of the tilde was disturbing yet banal and barely offset the full smiley. No doubt it will be studied for centuries.
    Even with all of its problems I would still read it again.
    TLDR +1 would read again

Ha!

You task me...you task me and I shall have you! I'll chase you 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round perdition's flames before I give you up!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2017, 01:33 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 23:05:
    Wait, what? Olbermann is way too serious? Did he have some kind of epiphany conversion?

Did you see one of his latest videos? I thought he'd have an aneurysm before the end of it. Certainly, I'd see some spittle on the screen toward the end, after a vein popped on his forehead...

"Donald Trump is a clear and present danger to the safety of the citizens of the United States of America. As if this were not enough, he's also acted in the interests of the Russian government. He has threatened conflict with North Korea, provoked possible nuclear conflict with China and spoken of unspecified military action against Venezuela. His presidency is no longer tenable. And in less than seven months, he's led this nation into such depths, that there is only one solution...the removal by any legal means of that president immediately or, failing that, the refusal by the citizens of this nation to cooperate any longer with a racist, hateful, irresponsible government that coddles domestic terrorists and is led by this filth, TRUMP! Resist, remove...Peace."

Yeesh...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2017, 16:41.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
    7. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 17, 2017, 22:02 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 11:10:
    No, I said your posts were needlessly long and circuitous.
    The dishnet page shows a 50 gb plan but it's more expensive than the whiners subscription. Keep complaining, it's good for the soul.

Listen, I don't know what your problem is, RedEye. I don't want to fight with you. I've tried to treat you like I do everyone else and yet you still insult me any chance you get. I ramble. I'm a writer, I like to write. You know this. God forbid I do something I like to. You don't like it, the Ignore button is right over there. You're not better than me and I'm not better than you. This isn't high school. Grow up.

EDIT: I'm gonna go a step further here...we've had our disagreements. I acknowledge I can be a jerk and I overreact at times. But I want to put this behind us. There's no reason we can't get along. You contribute to this site and I recognize that and appreciate it. I try to contribute in my own way. I'm done fighting. Peace?

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2017, 00:23.

News Comments > Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier Announced
    1. Re: Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier Announced Aug 17, 2017, 20:42 Rigs

So...a Telltale game not by Telltale?

EDIT: Btw, six minute gameplay vid here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiB_wSzDFIk

It is really just a Telltale game but not by Telltale. Or any 'adventure' game, really. Choose options, good or bad, and see the outcome. Though, I have to say, like most of these games, the attitudes of the characters are...bizarre. In the vid above, the one woman character doesn't want to go looking for a fight and says we just need to defend ourselves but then at the last minute goes back on the whole premise she just laid out in the last four minutes by saying, 'If they do attack, we shoot back and then go into the forest and hunt them like rats.'. Uh, what happened to just defending and not looking for a fight, not tit-for-tat? Isn't that what you said at the start, 'They attacked us because we attacked them"? That goes against 'hunting them like rats'. Ugh.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2017, 20:57.

News Comments > Shenmue III Publishing Deal
    1. Re: Shenmue III Publishing Deal Aug 17, 2017, 20:40 Rigs

I don't get this...almost all big Kickstarters are doing this now. They raise crowdfunding resources and they bug out to publishers anyway. WTF?

=-Rigs-=

33. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 17, 2017, 20:38 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 18:49:
    Angrius Maximis wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 08:39:
    I got super bored with this game real fast. Found it dull and unimaginative. navigation sucked, backtracking was retarded and the combat was dumb

We would expect nothing less from you sir.

~ZING!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    23. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 17, 2017, 20:29 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 20:04:
    Tom wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 19:03:
    "And he disrespected the Wu-Tang Clan."

I lost it. Rotfl

Well, after all, the Wu-Tang Clam ain't nothin' to fuck wit'.

God help us if Olbermann is helming the resistance, though he makes some decent points. He's way, way too serious, needs to chill like Oliver or Colbert. God damn I miss Stewart. He left when we needed him most. As much as I love Oliver and Colbert (and even starting to warm up to Noah), they don't compare to Stewart. Oliver is prone to obnoxiousness and on-air cocaine-overdoses at a moments notice and Colbert either hits the punchline way too early or drags it out way too long. Stewart had gravitas, when he was mad, you knew it. And Noah is filling his footsteps rather nicely though I really wish TDS would put the skits aside for good and just focus on the news itself, like Oliver (mostly does). We have SNL to feel awkward and unfunny, we don't need you in on it too. And Samantha Bee? Well...no comment.

Anyway...did anyone contact TMZ yet? I think this is the first public sighting of Gordon Freeman in...10 years? And, predictably, Freeman, you haven't changed one bit. Now I feel old. Thanks.

Nice pictures, joking aside. With all the depressing news all the time, it honestly feels good to see people smiling and having fun.

=-Rigs-=

9. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 16, 2017, 21:31 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 16, 2017, 18:40:
    Nothing beats a free trial, smart move.
    At least this game is not even remotely similar to the disaster that was the original Prey. hallelujah and pass the vital wheat gluten.

The hell you talking about? The original Prey wasn't a disaster. Whether it sold as well as the other similar-engined games such as Doom3 and Quake4 is another matter, but it didn't review badly and was a solid, unique game. It was a trailblazer and most trailblazers aren't super successful in and of themselves. And don't go posting any Metacritic bullshit, either. The kids reviewing games these days don't know their ass from a hole in the ground...and get TF off my lawn!

EDIT: Unless you're talking about the never-released 1996-7 Prey and it's development?

=-Rigs-=

2842 Comments. 143 pages. Viewing page 8.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo