Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2155 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
9. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Dec 2, 2015, 09:24 Rigs

DangerDog wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 16:22:
I tip my hat to you brave souls who carry the torch for the Red team.

Heh, don't worry about us, we're just fine...you know the ole' saying, 'Better Red than dead'...

=-Rigs-=

'...and from about the half-point onward, I only ever died from forgetting where I put my own land mines...'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > AMD Crimson Drivers Issue
31. Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Dec 1, 2015, 21:58 Rigs

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 19:36:
Rigs wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 16:23:
ForgedReality wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 12:35:
God damn, AMD is trash. Their drivers have always been shit, but it seems like they're getting progressively worse these days. There's a reason they're cheaper, folks. Not worth the headaches or the risk if you ask me.

Then don't buy AMD. I have a sneaking suspicion you haven't been a Radeon owner in quite a while (if ever) because AMD's drivers haven't had any trouble for the last two or three years. Why is it that AMD's (or I should say ATI's, god I miss them!) driver problem from way back in the 9800PRO/XT days still comes up any time there's a driver issue while everyone seems to gloss over the absolute garbage nVidia's FX -series was?! Need I remind you that you could blow dry your hair with an FX-series card?

Honestly, if the only thing bad you guys can keep pulling out of the bin is something that was over ten years ago, that's probably a good thing. In any event, I haven't had any problems with my system whatsoever.

=-Rigs-=

You're right, AMD would never release notoriously hot and loud GPUs! Oh wait, you don't have to go back 10 years for that...

290X

I never said they didn't. Please don't put words in my mouth. My point, which you purposely glossed over, was to point out that whenever there's any hint at problems with AMD's drivers, the first thing people say here is 'Oh, well AMD's video drivers have always been shit! Looks at all the issues they had...' without finishing that thought, which would be '...ten fucking years ago!'. And then not a mention, not a peep, about nVidia's woes over the years. The hair dryers (FX-series), the furnaces (7000-series), the epic power drainers that some of the GTX cards used to be. Nothing comparable. Pout

=-Rigs-=

'...and from about the half-point onward, I only ever died from forgetting where I put my own land mines...'

News Comments > DOOM MP Alpha This Week
15. Re: DOOM MP Alpha This Week Nov 30, 2015, 16:36 Rigs

Having been around since before the Wolf3D days, watching it and DooM blossom into the powerhouse shooters that started the genre and then set the bar, followed by Quake soon after and all the 'me-too's' in-between, I can unequivocally say that nothing will ever recapture that magic - nothing. It was lightning in a bottle and it's gone. It's time is over. Anything released now is just rehashing what's come before. Sure, it looks different, somewhat, but it's still the old formula dressed up for today's systems.

I was just recently looking at my old PC Gamer issue where they had DooM for Win95 (or, I should say, 'Chicago') on the cover, that was fucking huge! Doom...in WINDOWS?!? Felt like blasphemy. Yet, there it was, and it was good. But nothing will ever recapture the feeling of a new genre being born. Whatever this new one will be, it looks good, but it's not comparable to the original. I would know, I was there, man...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > AMD Crimson Drivers Issue
10. Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Nov 30, 2015, 16:23 Rigs

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 12:35:
God damn, AMD is trash. Their drivers have always been shit, but it seems like they're getting progressively worse these days. There's a reason they're cheaper, folks. Not worth the headaches or the risk if you ask me.

Then don't buy AMD. I have a sneaking suspicion you haven't been a Radeon owner in quite a while (if ever) because AMD's drivers haven't had any trouble for the last two or three years. Why is it that AMD's (or I should say ATI's, god I miss them!) driver problem from way back in the 9800PRO/XT days still comes up any time there's a driver issue while everyone seems to gloss over the absolute garbage nVidia's FX -series was?! Need I remind you that you could blow dry your hair with an FX-series card?

Honestly, if the only thing bad you guys can keep pulling out of the bin is something that was over ten years ago, that's probably a good thing. In any event, I haven't had any problems with my system whatsoever.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steam Fall Sale
42. Re: Steam Fall Sale Nov 27, 2015, 15:10 Rigs

God dammit, why does Elite always go on sale when I'm flat fucking broke?! I've got a wall of games staring at me and I'd trade most of it to play Elite... Pouting

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Thanksgiving Legal Briefs
16. Re: Thanksgiving Legal Briefs Nov 27, 2015, 13:22 Rigs

harlock wrote on Nov 26, 2015, 19:14:
those dumbass pigs will take any and every opportunity to suit up and roll out, just so they can play with their little toys

While I understand that any profession or professional group is going to have their fair share of assholes and egotistical maniacs and I'm the last person to hold up law enforcement's recent behavior as a model to draw inspiration and respect from nor do I like the way law enforcement has become militarized any more than anyone else, I do have several LEO's in the family and a few as friends and as such, my response to your statement is: Fuck you, harlock. The world is full of jerks and pricks but that doesn't mean they're all that way. I take offense to your statement in the extreme.

That is all.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2015, 15:14 Rigs

Happy Birthday, Blue! Cake Party2

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2015, 11:38 Rigs

High dose of vitamin C kills cancer cells in mice.

In, like, the same manner that huffing spray paint would kill brain cancer cells? I'd love to see Pfizer spin that one...

"side effects include blood clotting, death, kidney stones (that make you wish you were dead), pro-oxidant effects (similar to downing a jug of OxyClean), problems with the digestive system (as in, you'd have none), and red blood cell destruction (shortly before death...like five minutes before)..."Ask your doctor today about..."

Shocked

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Ancient Domains Of Mystery on Steam
2. Re: Ancient Domains Of Mystery on Steam Nov 18, 2015, 01:19 Rigs

Indeed, I've been playing it for a while and it's pretty good for an 'old school' roguelike...a mash of DwarfFortress Adventure Mode, the original Rogue and rpgs. It's got a lot of player customization settings too, much like DF's adventure mode. I did encounter some crashing and lockups on my system. Could be just on my side since I haven't seen any reports of similar out there, YMMV...Overall, though, thumbs up!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Obsidian Game Announcement Coming
26. Re: Obsidian Game Announcement Coming Nov 16, 2015, 20:03 Rigs

harlock wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 17:24:
Rigs wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 08:33:
harlock wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 07:10:
InBlack wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 03:45:
What the fuck are you smoking dude? Obsidian makes killer RPGs. Fallout4 is nice and everything but it's nowhere near as good as F:NV was.

hes not smoking anything. hes just a retard... only question here is how have you just noticed this now?

Yes, because, clearly, your posts are just the pinnacle of posting mastery... Rolleyes

for braindead chimps that cant grasp basic concepts, im sure that everything i say is complete nonsense..

its a common reaction, you are in the majority - dont worry, youre normal

Stunned Oh, is that right? Wow, I had it wrong...just totally, utterly, insanely wrong...But, please, Ye Ole' Great Posting Master, please do go on and show us...Ney, GUIDE us back to the right track, the chosen path, before the rest of us here become the forever fallen... Innocent

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Jade Empire Free on Origin
27. Re: Jade Empire Free on Origin Nov 16, 2015, 17:49 Rigs

Krovven wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 17:42:
Rigs wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 08:19:
Movingalong Ah huh, keep telling yourself that, Krovven. Then at least one person will believe you...

=-Rigs-=

You don't even make sense. Go back to vegging out on your meds.

Hahaha_no I make sense to me and that's all that matters. Besides, you're just jealous that I got the good shit and you're missing out! Drool

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2015, 19:45.

23. Re: Obsidian Game Announcement Coming Nov 16, 2015, 14:45 Rigs

I'm about...eh, 20%-ish into F4, having built up the first settlement with 12 people and now just trying to level up enough to get some really helpful perks that will let me continue my wondering without fearing the reaper. Having not really gone far in F3 and even less in NV, I'm liking this power armor thing, though the whole 'find a fusion core quickly before you run out every hour or so' is annoying as hell. I finally just spawned in 10 cores so I didn't have to worry about it anymore. It feels like an artificial hindrance, just something to keep you on your toes and hold you down longer. Since I rarely finish games and tend to lose interest quickly, I figured I could give myself this one thing. I refuse to cheat for anything else though and I've died many times already.

I guess I'm having fun. The story is ok and rather interesting...for what it is. I have to admit I'm not totally into it but it's enough to keep my interest for now. As long as it doesn't devolve into a grindfest, we'll be ok. The thing that really gets me, though, is how dated the engine (both graphically and physics-wise) is. The duct tape is starting to show, Bethesda. Time to look for a fancy new engine. You've strung this one up almost as bad as Valve with Source or id with DOOM or even Monolith. If we're looking at the next Elder Scrolls installment or even another new Fallout, PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, build a new engine! And once again, even with the engine being almost old enough to graduate high school, it still chugs along when set to anything in the 'high' to 'ultra' category. Um, why? I can play Witch3 without much trouble, and GTa5 and FarCry4 pretty high after a few patches with problems. But here we run into, once again, our old friend - texture streaming. Say hello, because after a an hour or two or play, this will bring your frame rate to it's knees until you save and restart the game. WTF?! Can no dev make a modern game that isn't so sensitive to hard drive read speed?! I haven't found one game yet this year that didn't have this problem at SOME point post-release.

I guess it may sound that all I'm doing is bitching and complaining, but really I've enjoyed the 10+ hours I've spent on it so far and I hope that it continues. For such an old engine, they did implement some neat tricks like the radiation storms, plus I've heard good things about the dog. I don't like having anyone (or anything) tag along with me that I have to keep an eye on or that might screw up a stealth approach. so he spends his time back at base. To each, their own, I suppose...

=-Rigs-=

17. Re: Obsidian Game Announcement Coming Nov 16, 2015, 08:33 Rigs

harlock wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 07:10:
InBlack wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 03:45:
What the fuck are you smoking dude? Obsidian makes killer RPGs. Fallout4 is nice and everything but it's nowhere near as good as F:NV was.

hes not smoking anything. hes just a retard... only question here is how have you just noticed this now?

Yes, because, clearly, your posts are just the pinnacle of posting mastery... Rolleyes

=-Rigs-=

25. Re: Jade Empire Free on Origin Nov 16, 2015, 08:19 Rigs

Krovven wrote on Nov 15, 2015, 20:56:
Rigs wrote on Nov 15, 2015, 19:41:
Krovven wrote on Nov 15, 2015, 19:11:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 15, 2015, 18:10:
Krovven wrote on Nov 15, 2015, 17:29:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 15, 2015, 17:19:
Bubicus wrote on Nov 15, 2015, 17:11:
Yeah, they changed it to Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 + Yuri's Revenge.

Still showing that one for me as well (Red Alert 2 + YR has been free 'On The House' since mid September by the way). No Jade Empire to be seen anywhere (don't personally give a shit).

Well you gave enough of a shit to go looking for it and then post about it.

I got the game on Steam, dude. I only checked out of curiosity because of the reported issues.

Yet, you still cared enough to go look and post about it...and post about it again.

Keep poking that hornets nest, Krovven, I'm sure gold will fall out of it at some point... Pokestick

Not difficult to figure out that I was intentionally poking because his actions contradict his statement.
Much like I don't care what you have to say, I don't care if I'm irritating an idiot troll. It's just not a concern I have.

Movingalong Ah huh, keep telling yourself that, Krovven. Then at least one person will believe you...

=-Rigs-=

15. Re: Jade Empire Free on Origin Nov 15, 2015, 19:41 Rigs

Krovven wrote on Nov 15, 2015, 19:11:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 15, 2015, 18:10:
Krovven wrote on Nov 15, 2015, 17:29:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 15, 2015, 17:19:
Bubicus wrote on Nov 15, 2015, 17:11:
Yeah, they changed it to Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 + Yuri's Revenge.

Still showing that one for me as well (Red Alert 2 + YR has been free 'On The House' since mid September by the way). No Jade Empire to be seen anywhere (don't personally give a shit).

Well you gave enough of a shit to go looking for it and then post about it.

I got the game on Steam, dude. I only checked out of curiosity because of the reported issues.

Yet, you still cared enough to go look and post about it...and post about it again.

Keep poking that hornets nest, Krovven, I'm sure gold will fall out of it at some point... Pokestick

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Nov 14, 2015, 04:30 Rigs

Me thinks the Project CARS devs envy the Chrome and Firefox devs' version system too much...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > On Fallout 4's Graphics
23. Re: On Fallout 4's Graphics Nov 4, 2015, 22:23 Rigs

NetHead wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 22:06:
Creston wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 20:51:
Razumen wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 20:18:
They've had years...and no excuses.

Sure they do. It'd be years in which they their programmers do nothing but create an entire new mod framework. That's years where they're not doing other stuff.

Of course, not to mention that their monstrous mod community would then have to learn a completely new engine.

And for what? So that the five "OMG TEH GRAPHICS AREWNT THE BESTESTTT!!!" people would buy it?

I fail to see the point. Their fans will still buy it and enjoy it, despite the fact that the graphics aren't as cool as the Witcher 3. :-shrug-:

Some just completely underestimate how costly and complex and time consuming it would be to change to a new engine in such a situation for, what benefits.

I don't even know why some think "whole new engine" would suddenly result in amazing new levels of graphics while retaining all the features. I'm willing to bet none who do think that in this situation have any programming experience worth mentioning, or possibly even an appropriate aptitude for or understanding of such things.

Their logic is the equivalent of thinking someone should simply install a V10 into a V6 car for more performance while keeping efficiency where it was with magic crystals.

But a lot of you are missing the possibility that they might just be building a new engine right now and just aren't ready to make it primetime yet. None of us knows what the next Elder Scrolls game will be (the sequel to Skyrim, I mean, I don't consider ESO to be a sequel) and a new engine might be the highlight of a new ES game, to be announced next year or the year after. They must have a long-term plan, they aren't stupid. They've got to know that this engine isn't going to take them very much further. I have no doubt that they have a next-gen engine in development, but which 'next gen' that means is really a mystery. Might not be until after Xbone and PS4, who knows. The fact is we don't but common sense says they're taking care of it. Just pray Bethesda has some common sense...

=-Rigs-=

22. Re: On Fallout 4's Graphics Nov 4, 2015, 22:18 Rigs

Slick wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 22:01:
Creston wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 20:51:
Razumen wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 20:18:
They've had years...and no excuses.

Sure they do. It'd be years in which they their programmers do nothing but create an entire new mod framework. That's years where they're not doing other stuff.

Of course, not to mention that their monstrous mod community would then have to learn a completely new engine.

And for what? So that the five "OMG TEH GRAPHICS AREWNT THE BESTESTTT!!!" people would buy it?

I fail to see the point. Their fans will still buy it and enjoy it, despite the fact that the graphics aren't as cool as the Witcher 3. :-shrug-:

quiet troll.

you fail to see the point of almost everything on this board, so it's no surprise.

talking like a multi-billion dollar studio can't manage a new engine when CDProjekt Red managed it JUST FINE.

you're giving (the most successful) lazy devs a free pass to continue being lazy.

it's amazing how much you bitch about everything devs do, but when it comes to actually making something good... "i just don't see the point"

gotcha.

troll.

HA! The pot calling the kettle black if I ever saw one! That's pretty rich calling Creston a troll coming from you! Don't throw stones, you'll be spending your weekend cleaning up glass...

=-Rigs-=

5. Re: On Fallout 4's Graphics Nov 4, 2015, 19:51 Rigs

Dynamic Dismemberment using Hardware Tessellation

Oooh, be still my beating heart!

*cocks gun* Really, I mean it.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Orsinium DLC Released
1. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Orsinium DLC Released Nov 3, 2015, 11:00 Rigs

The base-game patch includes long awaited features such as gamepad support for PC, subtitles, LFG system improvements, and more.

Subtitles...fucking SUBTITLES had to be patched in! Holy shit, from a company that's been developing games for DECADES...and they had to PATCH IN subtitles...

That blows my ever-loving-#!$^ mind!

=-Rigs-=

2155 Comments. 108 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo