Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. Currently, lurking and keeping my mouth shut.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2690 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dead Cells Early Access
2. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2017, 07:58 Rigs

'Say rogue-lite one more time, mother fucker!'

Grrr! Like WW2, zombies and open-world before it, enough!

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NY Times on Star Citizen
27. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2017, 06:16 Rigs

*takes his fan and goes home*

VaranDragon wrote on May 11, 2017, 05:14:
RedEye9 wrote on May 10, 2017, 22:25:
Another Star Citizen article, another day closer to a finished game. Nothing to see here.

You are one of the more reasonable people here on blues.

You, good sir, are on crack! He's about as deluded as the rest of us.

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

News Comments > NY Times on Star Citizen
2. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2017, 21:11 Rigs

Aw, dammit, we were doing so good without having one of these pop up...

*slowly hides the fan under the table while anxiously looking around for observers*

*a noble effort, but futile in the long run, we know*

I'm so tired of having to clean these fans...the last one I had to throw out altogether because the shit was so caked in...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > STRAFE Released
3. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2017, 20:06 Rigs

I was pretty psyched after watching the IGN? (or maybe it was Gamespot) review of it. They liked it, though they had issues, of course, and I do as well. They tried way way too hard to go the retro mid-90's vibe and it hurt it in some ways. The aesthetic is ok for the most part but sometimes it just gets in the damn way. Like there's a arena mode available when you click on the convoluted main menu (I'll get to that) and it takes you into a pseduo-DOS wannabe interface where after typing anything you want once, it pulls a 'SuperHot' on you and types in the one program available, murder-something.exe. I forget what the whole thing was. Anyway, you get a menu afterward similar to the main one, only nothing is explained, so you just hit 'P' to start the murdering and it pops up a, no shit, black and white 'Connecting' dialog box, along with that 'always hilarious' modem screech that we're all overly familiar with, you know, 'because 1996'...but the thing is you have to endure it every. single. time. you want to do the arena mode and it takes a good 30-seconds for it to complete 'Connecting'. It's stupid with no way to disable it that I found. There's a box on the left with different 'mutator options' but they're whited ('greyed') out, I guess until you hit some arbitrary point. It was a good joke once but every time? No. Just no.

Now back to the main menu. Ugh. What a mess. Nothing's labeled and it's in low res and the options wouldn't even let me select anything higher than 1280x720@60hz, tho it did show some oddball 1680x1378 res (for my 1680x1050 16x10 res) until I clicked on it and then it reverted to the default and wouldn't let me put it back. The control options are there...but they're pretty spartan. Took me a sec to figure out how to rebind them. But then when I got into the game itself, some of the controls refused to work at all or intermittently. The 'map' view, which has your FOV slide to the bottom right, awkwardly, ala Elite:Dangerous-style, is a pain while you're trying to watch your back. And my inventory would come up sometimes but I don't know exactly how to access anything in it and the 'Q' to use items did nothing for me, as did my scroll wheel to select other weapons, when I had more than one. It makes it feel more like an Early Access game than anything else. I haven't looked at the STEAM reviews yet but I'm going to soon to see if I'm having the same issues as everyone else.

I have to say that the gameplay, while solid, reminds me very much of another excellent game in Early Access called Bunker Punks. I've lost untold numbers of hours to this one and it really is better than strafe in almost every way. It's rogue like, the levels are random, but the gameplay is tighter and the mechanics are more well thought out. And the shooting is much better. Aside from the copious amount of blood squirting everywhere, I can't see where Strafe is any better. And that's a damn fucking shame because I was really looking forward to this one.

Maybe if they put out some patches for the glitchiness and tighten up the controls and shooting some, they'd have a nice shooter on their hands. As it is? Wait for a sale at best or go grab Bunker Punks and don't wait at all.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
10. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2017, 13:20 Rigs

Beamer wrote on May 10, 2017, 11:41:
I mean, I had an S7 Edge and now have an S8. They're fine. Absolutely fine.

Can anyone recommend a good deal on an S7/S7 Active/Edge/et al or S8? While I'm not usually a phone person (the LG lucky I have now is a scratched up hand me down that isn't activated, just so I can use it as an mp3 player in the car...and if I need 911 service), I find myself drawn to these particular phones. Just a beautiful piece of tech, I guess. In any case, maybe I'm ready to take the plunge down the whole mobile rabbit hole finally. But I'm not looking for a $45/month plan (which is what they want for the plan on my phone now). Something cheap because I'm not gonna use it a lot. This is why I've held off. Any ideas?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Project CARS 2 McLaren Trailer
7. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2017, 19:24 Rigs

Slick wrote on May 9, 2017, 17:30:
McLarens look very distinct even in the supercar class IMO. I've heard that they're pretty shit cars for their price compares with their direct competition, unwieldy to drive, but very pretty looking.

For what it's worth, I think a Ferrari is very boring looking as well. Now give me a Lambo and I'll be happy! I'm talking radical, man! I want 80's concept car looks on these things! Yeah, they may be 'super' fast, but they ain't 'super' stylish...imo, of course...

As for the handling of a McLaren, I always felt they suffered from some massive understeer problems, at least on the simulated level. All the way back to NFS 2 (granted, not a sim and not very detailed), the McLaren F1 couldn't steer it's way out of a paper bag. Reminds me, believe it or not, of a Nascar stock car. You ever had to turn around in one of those things at low speed?! Forget it! Obviously, in PC it was a little more...driveable...but it was not my preferred vehicle. I've never understood the fervor over these cars. Like the new 720's. Tell me what, exactly, is so crazy new and interesting about it? It has LED light bars. Wow.

I'm being majorly fecetious, obviously, but you get my point...hopefully...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on May 9, 2017, 19:36.

News Comments > Project CARS 2 McLaren Trailer
5. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2017, 15:55 Rigs

CJ_Parker wrote on May 9, 2017, 15:31:
Useless piece of shit car... can't even fit a crate of beer in the trunk dammit!

Damn, hate to be your kid...

'Piece of shit kid, can't even go to the store and get me beer!'

'But, Daddy, I'm only 7!'

'SILENCE!...dammit! My kid would find a way! And who let you out of the closet?!...Oh! You're still in the closet...'

As for the video..to be fair, it had been raining, it wasn't when the hotlap was run. That's actually significant because I highly doubt anyone would take that boring McLaren out on a city street track in the rain in real life. Even the best drivers make mistakes and there's no run-off areas in city tracks. Just walls. And yes, I think all McLaren's are ugly and boring. There's nothing unique about them. They're a standard 'super' car with 'high tech' styling. But there's nothing different. Nothing to distinguish their look from anything else, except that they're boring and indistinguishable. If someone went to a local college tech arts class and told them to draw a 'super' car, you'd get 20 different variations of a McLaren. It may be fast but it's not exciting. An old school Lotus was exciting because it was different (and ugly as sin).

The game itself looks marvelous, just like the one before it. Still, I can't help but wonder why they put so much effort into making the original able to be played in 12k when by the time something that could play it at anything approaching playable wouldn't be available for at least another five years? By then there'll be two or three Project Cars sequels that could have included the feature. Makes no sense. Just give us the best racing sim you possibly can and if it looks like the original 'World Circuit'...well, so be it! I'd still play the fuck out of it!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 17:20 Rigs

Last movie I watched in the theater was Deadpool (along with my daughter and her not-date...long story) and it would have been fine but for the kids. Yeah, no lie, there were more kids in watching it then I could have ever suspected would be able to sneak in! Apparently, from what I gathered from an overheard convo of another concerned adult and the manager was that the kids were his own family and they had given the ok for them to watch it, even though it was (a hard) 'R'. I mean, none of them were under 10 but shit! I didn't approve at all and I almost went down to complain but the woman conversing with him got pretty loud for me. Not that it mattered, the kids stayed. To their credit, I didn't hear any of them after the movie started. Still, I thought it was pretty shitty. 'Course this is the local theater in the middle of fucking nowhere, Florida, so what do you expect?

=-Rigs-=

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 17:01 Rigs

descender wrote on May 8, 2017, 12:55:
Yeah Cutter, they totally should have voted for that nazi shithead instead!

You are unbelievable.

Don't fault him, he's from Canada. Explains everything...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
17. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 16:55 Rigs

Bugger, Walt, I think you just took the novella-per-post trophy from me. I guess I need to up my game! Won't be this time though...

I've been meaning to get a nice cheap pad. Best Buy (I know, I know) has one for like $79 and one for $49. Yeah, they're cheap and probably slow but they have an relatively updated version of Android (I wanna say ver 5...not like those cheap tablets you see in the catalogs that have like Android 1.2) and all I'd use it for is Roccat's PowerGrid (for Elite:Dangerous and iRacing) and reading pdf's. I don't use pads for anything else. My mother has an iPad2 (seems to be popular around here) and as most of us know, they're no longer getting updated. I mean it still runs fine and she only really just plays web games and looks on FB with it. It's still acts like a total idiot sometimes and spazzs out for no reason on occasion but otherwise it's worked fine for 3 years.

The problem is that people aren't buying these things every year, like phones. I really can't understand buying a new phone every year either. I have an older LG Lucky hand-me-down that's scratched up but works otherwise just fine. It's not even activated, I just use it as a glorified mp3 player in the car! I don't talk on phones in the car, period. My concentration is on driving only. Mainly because it infuriates me to no end when I get behind some big F-350 with some redneck construction worker talking on his fucking phone, swerving around and going 20mph under the limit because he's too engrossed in his conversation and can't do two things at once. Grrrr!

=-Rigs-=

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2017, 22:56 Rigs

MrBone wrote on May 7, 2017, 21:07:
I am amazed that you liked Guardians. It wasn't funny at all and boring to boot.

*Insert outrageously funny line about being a blast at parties here*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. May 5, 2017, 02:15 Rigs

OMFG, I've been talking about this demo HERE for years! I have it, sits in with what's left of my disk collection on my shelf. I'm looking at it right now. I haven't tried to get it running for years, I should probably see if the disks still work. It's exactly what I've been holding on to for 20+ years. Such a strange duck, this demo, and as I said in the comments of the video, it looks more like a Tie Fighter conversion mod of X-Wing than a demo of a sequel because so many things in it are just placeholder or small graphical/sound changes. If I recall, the demo came out not long after Tie Fighter was announced, so it probably was early. I could never find a way around the Plymouth/Dodge advertising to get to the demo itself. It's not a separate .exe or anything. It's all in one. You have to go through the advertising to get to the demo, each time. And if you die, it's back staring at a Dodge Neon. The mission just goes on and on, never ending, until you die. I think I lasted about an hour once but after a while, Rogue Squadron comes in with some A-Wings and within a minute, you're usually toast from concussion missiles.

So nice to see I'm not the only one on the planet that has these or knows about them! Now if I can find info on that MechWarrior2 demo, I can die a happy...well, content, man...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Reservoir Dogs: Bloody Days This Month
4. Re: Reservoir Dogs: Bloody Days This Month May 4, 2017, 17:36 Rigs

Ok, who asked for this? C'mon, put your hand up...better yet, stand up and be very still...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > X-Wing XWVM Mod Video
17. Re: X-Wing XWVM Mod Video May 1, 2017, 17:24 Rigs

SpectralMeat wrote on May 1, 2017, 16:28:
jdreyer wrote on May 1, 2017, 16:15:
I picked up a new Flightstick last year to replay this game before I heard about this mod. My old Flightstick was 20 years old and a few of the buttons had stopped working.
Those are very precise and bomb proof.
I just wish they'd have the twist option so that you don't have to buy a set of pedals.
I ended up with the Saitek X55 when I was playing a lot of Elite
I know Saitek is not the same quality as CH but it served me well so far.

I heartily recommend the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. I had wanted a nice HOTAS setup for my adventures in Elite:Dangerous and other flight/space sims and was looking at both the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X and the Thrustmaster T.16000 FCS HOTAS (who thinks of these names?!). But, in the end, I figured spending around $40, given how much time I actually spend using it, was enough and thus, the Logi Extreme 3D Pro it was! Can't say I'm disappointed at all, it does exactly what I need it to and it's got that really nifty 'twist' so I don't have to worry about the whole rudder pedal thing. (I 'could' use my Logi G25 pedals if need be, though). I tried playing with just a PS3 Dualshock controller and a Logi Rumblepad2 but it's just not enough. I feel too...detached, when playing with a gamepad. With a stick, you feel like you're in more control. Eventually I plan to pick up a proper HOTAS setup, stick and throttle separate. Until then, though, what I have does fine. Would love to get into some old X-Wing/Tie Fighter action with it!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Apr 30, 2017, 17:31 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Apr 30, 2017, 16:08:
I'll buy ebooks in bundles, but never one-offs. Part of the reason is that the price is the same. Publishers need to make ebooks half the price of print if they want sales to improve.

As for ereader sales plummeting, duh. Just like tablets, it was the new hotness, now cooling. Lots of people tried them, decided they didn't like them. For those that did, these are pretty robust devices. If you bought one a few years ago, it still works for the vast majority of people.

Careful...they might go like the printer-industry and dive head first into 'planned obsolescence' territory if things don't improve. I love to read on my iPad but it's usually old gaming magazines (typically early 90's era CGW)...or my latest fascination, old (late 80's) Macworld issues. Occasionally it's a book. The last one was World War Z and now I'm trying to finish Star Wars: Battlefront: Twilight Company...

As for Acer's new gaming laptop. The specs look nice but I always get to the end and it's 1TB SSD. Huh? You go crazy with everything else and then stick in a dull 1tb SSD? Psh. Give me something meaty if I'm gonna spend the money! Maybe duel 1 teras or a nice 2-3tera drive. 'Course, you could always do it yourself afterwards but that's not the point. If it's supposed to be a 'hardcore gaming monster' then 1tb isn't going to cut it...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
30. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 27, 2017, 04:19 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 20:28:
Rigs wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 18:35:
I agree, he has no idea what is going to be in an update. Hence the reason he recommends waiting.

Since we're in violent agreement I give you permission to shake it off and have a little happy dance.

Now see, that wasn't so hard. Now go run along, scamp. I'll put a star on the calendar for ya.

=-Rigs-=

28. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 26, 2017, 18:35 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 16:28:
You seem really bothered by this so let me try to ease your pain.
The jist of the article is about waiting to upgrade while other people test the software for you. It pertains to every Windows 10 release from here on out.
In this one thread we have already seen a couple of people who have had problems, this ain't rocket science.
For someone that has a journalism background you would think someone who has basic knowledge of the subject matter would be able to undstand the point he was making, or maybe it's something only readers of tech articles would understand.

You always take that route and it gets tiresome. Whenever you dig at someone that doesn't agree with your holier-than-thou opinion, it's always that the person is 'really bothered' or 'triggered' or 'taking it a little too seriously' or 'overreacting'. I didn't agree, I stated as such, you came back with another typical slap at me without addressing anything I said about the subject and then I came back calling you on it. That doesn't make me bothered. It makes you incompetent at discussing things without resorting to juvenile games.

My point stands that he had absolutely no way of knowing how or what would be in the final release but penned a deeply opinionated, almost to the point of ranting, article. That's all I said. I'm not even going to get into the whole point that this is basically an op-ed article but it's not labeled as such, which is bad form in itself. I'm sorry if my words hurt your devotion to some tech guy. Yes, I read tech sites too, young grasshopper. You're not the only one. But I don't then go white-knighting the authors any chance I can, regardless if I like their work or not. Again, I didn't agree with the article, that doesn't mean I didn't fucking understand it.

So what's it gonna be this time? Snip my response into some nonsense attempt at deflection or are you going to be a logical adult and actually respond without tired old games?

=-Rigs-=

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 26, 2017, 15:37 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 09:58:
Rigs wrote on Apr 25, 2017, 21:06:
Micro-Novella snipped for brevity.
You're excused, even though you still didn't grasp Leonhards main point about waiting.
You can lead a horse to water and all that jazz but whatever.

Just because you totally ignored what I said to get in a jab (a very old and lame one at that), doesn't mean it isn't true. For someone that spouts about personal reflection, I find you do little if any.

=-Rigs-=

24. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 26, 2017, 15:34 Rigs

Oh oh!! Can I guess who the MOST miserable poster is?! Can I? Hmmm...I'm gonna go with Cutter...seems obvious and I only had to buy one vowel...

For the record, remind me never to piss in your cornflakes, Beamer...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > GTA Online Tiny Racers Update & Tax Refund
5. Re: GTA Online Tiny Racers Update & Tax Refund Apr 26, 2017, 15:22 Rigs

Hey *R, how about you detach GTA Online into it's own...thing...and get to workin' on GTA6, ja? Or maybe...oh! OH! Maybe you can bring RDR and RDR2 to PC? Wouldn't that be nice? Why do you hate money?

=-Rigs-=

2690 Comments. 135 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo