Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 3059 (Veteran)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Movie and Sales Records
6. Re: Far Cry 5 Movie and Sales Records Apr 5, 2018, 05:07 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 00:47:
SlimRam wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 23:03:
I kinda liked the mini movie. The actor who plays the lead cult guy is convincingly creepy and dedicated to his apparent cause. Faith is literally my IDEAL woman: Hot, crazy and high

Never stick your dick in crazy. Trust me on that.
Mad

*Opens mouth to say something in response*

...eh, no, he's pretty much right...

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2018, 22:43 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 19:07:
Hey Rigs, I'll gladly take my spring snow over having to deal with hurricanes. It is not even close...

What, you don't like being utterly terrified in the middle of the night, with no lights, wind roaring (literally) outside, wondering if the roof is going to go flying off? Or the walls are gonna blow in? Or that you have enough supplies until the lights come back on?

I understand. I don't like going through it but I relish the buildup, the immediacy of it, not knowing where it's going to go, when it'll make landfall and at what strength. Then again, I've been through enough of them (four in the last two years alone - Hermine, Matthew, Nate and Irma) to become a little desensitized to it all. But, believe it or not, I'd take a hurricane over a tornado. Any day of the week! Those things are nas-t! If I never see one in my lifetime, I'll be perfectly happy with that. That's why you'd never see me living in the mid-west. I'll take a hurricane at 2am any time than an EF4 or 5 tornado at 2am!

=-Rigs-=

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2018, 14:14 Rigs

RE: Snow

I was sitting here, eating my lunch and watching this the whole time, watching the storms build in the background...currently, it's 82° outside and a little muggy. Sorry you're still dealing with the death throes of Winter, Blue! You're more than welcome to come on down here! I suggest you do it now, though, because in another month or so, we'll be gearing up for the new hurricane season and the weather follows suit by getting downright nasty. In fact, yesterday was the first time this season that we had both the Atlantic sea-breeze and the Gulf sea-breeze combine and set off a long line of storms from a bit east of Tampa south to a bit east of Fort Meyers, which kept on going until early this morning. Typically this doesn't happen until around mid-May~ish. So we're getting off to an early start for our 2018 Storm Season...

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 13:12:
This is kind of a followup to yesterdays Riggs post...
As you're so fond of pointing out, I sign each of my posts and you still didn't get my name right! One 'g', bruh! One! Wacko

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 2018, 14:37.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2018, 17:24 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 15:14:
1. Don't blame the victim, Stockholm syndrome is real.

No, no, don't take me wrong, I should have been clear about this, I'm not necessarily blaming the victim as such. I'll point you to this video of comedian Bill Burr for some context of what I mean. It's not the most popular opinion, I'll admit, but I mean, where does it end? Opinion right now is that if you're in an abusive relationship and you continue that relationship no matter what, your actions are unquestionable? No, I don't believe that. Yes, there's 'Stockholm Syndrome'. But that doesn't mean every single person that doesn't get out of a physically/mentally/emotionally abusive relationship has it. That's crazy. I'm not saying what the girl went through is her fault but after all of that time and the multitude of injuries, when is it enough? And I don't believe I have to stay quiet just because she may be in such a situation. I'm not going 'Full Metal Cutter' here and say she's some dumb bitch that deserved what she got. Absolutely not.

3. It is surprising we haven't seen any stories coming from famous musicians being abused by producers, techs, agents, etc. You'd think that a Taylor Swift, Katie Perry, Ariana Grande (etc.) would have stories to tell.

I'm sure they do have stories to tell but making money is still more important, apparently. When it gets so bad, like in Kesha's case, then it comes out.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 2018, 11:37.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2018, 03:02 Rigs

This is a bit old but as this semi-related article points out, the 'Me Too' movement hasn't exactly carried over to the music industry in the same way...or really in any way. Apparently, this rapper, XXXTentacion, whom I've never heard of, was in a whole heap of bullshit last year involving some girl he'd met. The allegations from the girl of what happened after they started going together and living together are just...well, I'll let you guys read it and then you can see for yourselves...

XXXTentacion’s Reported Victim Details Grim Pattern of Abuse in Testimony

Some choice cuts:
Around July 2016, the couple moved to Orlando. When asked during the deposition to “pinpoint the days he threatened to kill you,” the reported victim responded, “Well, when we lived in Orlando, it was literally like every day.”
And yet she stayed.
They listened to one of XXXTentacion’s songs in the car and she sang along with his verse. Then she hummed along with a verse from a featured artist on the track...Then, XXXTentacion head-butted her, punched her, stomped on her, and put her in the bathtub, where he continued hitting and kicking her. “He also wanted to cut out my tongue because I was singing the song,” she said.
And yet she stayed.
When XXXTentacion got out of jail, they moved back in together in North Miami. He told her he knew she had cheated on him. He put a knife to her neck, strangled her “a little bit,” and called her a “ho,” she said. That night, he woke her up and told her to go outside, where he picked up an empty glass beer bottle and demanded that she tell him the truth or, “I’m going to fuck you up.” She replied that she already was telling him the truth, that she had cheated and was sorry. He dropped the bottle, slapped her, and let her go back to bed.
And yet she still stayed!
In two incidents there, XXXTentacion grabbed her by the neck, strangled her, and forced her down on the bed before another person who lived there came to the rescue.
Then this:
“I’m like scared,” she said, recalling how she felt. “It’s like he’s going to like end up killing me or something.”

...Christ! You think?!? What was your first fuckin' clue?! Crazy I just...I just can't even...She can't be that naive and stupid. She just can't be, it's just not possible. This has to be a glorified sick joke. (And yet the whole time I'm saying that, in my mind, I know it's true but still don't want it to be, just for the sake of humanity as a whole)

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Uwe Boll's Rampage
22. Re: Uwe Boll's Rampage Mar 31, 2018, 19:18 Rigs

El Pit wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 08:30:
Star Wars on the other hand - I liked Rogue One quite a bit. But the new sequel trilogy is a disaster - great cast, amazing production quality, but the screenplays and character arcs are just horrible.

The more I watch it, the more I love Rogue One. It's got that spark, that original Star Wars feeling, even in the music which was cobbled together at the last minute and wasn't by John Williams, it still feels like Star Wars. And they have, hands down, the most awesomest way ever to take down a Star Destroyer! When I saw it, my jaw was on the floor until well after the end of the movie. Even CGI Talkin' Tarkin is great. His voice is a little bit more 'squeeky' than Peter Cushing's was but seeing how we can't exactly get Cushing to reclaim his role, it's better than it certainly could have been given Rian Johnson's treatment of TLJ. Gareth Edwards is more than welcome, in my eyes, to do another SW movie in the future. Rian Johnson, on the other hand, can go *beep* a *beep* *beep* and then *beep* with a rusty *beep* while *beeeep*!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 2018, 03:31.

News Comments > Factorio Price Boost Next Month
10. Re: Factorio Price Boost Next Month Mar 31, 2018, 14:20 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 06:39:
Dude, you live in FL, right? WHY ARE YOU AWAKE AT 4:50 AM ON SATURDAY??!
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 09:17:
Yeah, Rigs is in Florida. Maybe he's at work?

I'm a bit nocturnal because of my many years working overnight/3rd shifts. I went from partying in the early mornings when I was young right into preferring to work overnight. Most times I'm awake from 1am on. Just years of habit now more than anything.

=-Rigs-=

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2018, 07:55 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 06:46:
Cutter deftly skirts the line, that's for sure. Is telling someone to off themselves an "attack of a personal nature?" I guess that's for Blue to decide. It would be sad to see him go, or be forced to return as 'Kutter.' He's kind of an institution around here, or at least a crazy uncle.

It's not so much him in particular but how the rest of us would/should be treated if we did the same. Not to say what he did is any less appalling but just because he's a regular shouldn't give him carte blanche without repercussions. Either he doesn't care or he feels he's above any blow back. I know Cutter's not stupid enough to think that what he says isn't offensive. He's doing it for that very reason. And he continues to do so with the only punishment being his post removed where as, if any of the rest of us did so, on a consistent basis, would suffer harsher punishment quicker, IMO.

Ultimately, as you said, it's up to Blue. This is his site and he's boss. If he decides to do nothing, so be it. I won't be happy about it but I respect his authority and his decisions. I'm not fond of RedEye. He knows it, most of you know it but no matter our disagreements, he shouldn't be subjected to being told to jump into a pit of rabid porcupines while covered in honey and then lit on fire... Paranoid I mean, if that was the method chosen in this hypothetical situation... *cough*

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2018, 08:05.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2018, 06:00 Rigs

Sooo, if I'm not mistaken, that's the third time in as many months Cutter has gone off the deep end and told someone to take a dive. I mean, c'mon, Blue, there has to be consequences for this aside from just removing the post. Canadian or not, Cutter's not above the law. And I don't say this because I'm out to 'get Cutter'. If I've never been believed before, believe me now when I say this is true. Everyone here should be treated to the same standard and if I did something like that, I'd expect consequences to my actions. We're mostly all adults here, let's handle this as such, yes?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Factorio Price Boost Next Month
5. Re: Factorio Price Boost Next Month Mar 31, 2018, 04:50 Rigs

Numinar wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 01:07:
I feel like I wasted $20 on Rimworld after getting caught up in the hype on this very board.

I'm curious, what didn't you like about Rimworld? I think it comes damn close to being a graphically modern take on Dwarf Fortress and it has extensive mod support like Factorio. I didn't think there was anything outright negative about Rimworld but maybe I'm slightly biased as I've been playing it since the early alphas. Factorio, on the other hand, has been a hard sell for me simply because I don't have that tiny engineer inside me, fighting to get out. He died in a puff of flame and smoke when I burnt out on mechanical mods for Minecraft. *shrugs* He'll be back one day.

=-Rigs-=

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2018, 13:28 Rigs

Blue, now is a perfect time to get into NASCAR! Seriously, it's early in the season yet and the next race is at Texas Motor Speedway on Sunday afternoon. Last week was the smallest of the tracks, Martinsville and it was awesome as usual. Lots of uh, rubbin' and bangin'. Most cars don't come out of a Martinsville race without at least a few dents, scratches and a tire donut or two on the side. Good stuff! Oh, did I mention there's a fantasy league, too?

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 13:00:
Be cautious when you poke him lest he put you on his imaginary Marry, F*ck, Kill list. shudder

Hmm, how do you know about this list, exactly? Inquisitive

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > No Man's Sky Next This Summer
27. Re: No Man's Sky Next This Summer Mar 30, 2018, 13:09 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 03:26:
Imagine if any other company did that? For example, Ubisoft promises Assassin's Creed Origins - a big open-world game - will have a ton of features at launch, but the only thing to do is the main quest. Then over time - as money comes in - they slowly add "extras" like side quests and NPCs that accurately respond to day/night cycles. Any consumer of such a product would be livid they didn't get that experience at launch. But somehow, I should give HG and SM a pass, only because they suffered abuse? Excuse me, but I'm the one still out $60 for a game I never got to play according to what Sean pitched. I am the one Murray lied to repeatedly. I will never trust that man and his company with another dime. I don't believe ANYTHING from Murray. No one should.

NMS was an early access title sold for FULL PRICE. The ethics of that go way beyond the pale. That's worse than what Chris Roberts is doing with ships sales and Star Citizen. The only way it would worse is if Chris ever shut down the project and ran away with people's money.

Imagine if a company released a game with features missing? I can name one right off the top of my head that's very recent - Sea of Thieves. Two years of hype from Rare, MS pushing them out of their comfort zone and over their limit. The game is barren with nothing to do and yet they charge $60 for the privilege. Go watch AngryJoe's review and you'll see. Anything Obsidian has released has been a bug-ridden, feature-missing mess. Or, well, they 'delay' release features until later on. I suppose that makes it ok? What's the difference between them and HG? Sure, Obsidian's games may become feature complete later on but it's not there on launch (as advertised), so how is that different from NMS? If you take an honest, objective look around, you'll see that what HG did wasn't exactly out of the ordinary for this industry. Am I saying it's ok? Of course not. But it's not that they were the first and the worst. Not by a long shot. Just like HG, Rare had corporate masters to please and MS was behind the scenes all the while, pulling those strings.

I never said you should give HG a pass. You can hate them and boycott them all you want. It doesn't matter to me one bit. I don't take offense because you hate something I like. But you're the one missing out, KXmode. I'm not saying what you feel doesn't matter, I understand, I do. I paid $60, too. I'm just saying that it's time to get over it and move on.

Drath71 wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 09:12:
I'll be "over it" when I get a portion of the cost back. Which isn't going to happen, so....

See above. I think it's time you put the pitchfork away, got over the fact that Sean Murray murdered your family and lived your life. Let go. It's ok to love again.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2018, 20:45.

20. Re: No Man's Sky Next This Summer Mar 30, 2018, 02:40 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Mar 29, 2018, 21:36:
@Rigs. Thanks. That reduced launch cost is needed.
Dev wrote on Mar 29, 2018, 20:54:
Nice, thanks for the list of No Man's Sky Mods!

No problem, guys. Glad I could help some.

Kxmode wrote on Mar 29, 2018, 22:11:
This game more than any other remains the one I loathe most. The amount of garbage Sean pitched and promised at launch was ridiculous. It got to the point where he blatantly lied to millions of people on national television about multiplayer stuff (I learned to spot his lying based on Youtube videos of promises made. If he giggles hard, he's lying). If NMS were any other product with that much WANT, there would have been a class-action lawsuit for selling a sham of a product. I still think there should have been. It would have put the gaming industry on notice that they can't keep lying to potential customers with impunity. We should have the same basic protections as any other consumer. But, I guess in the grand scheme of things video games remain the red-headed stepchild.

I really believe that HG has been punished more than enough for Murray's untruths with the backlash after release and I think HG should be applauded for staying with such a toxic game and trying to make it into that which they promised it would be. There was so much hype and hysteria over the game and given what happened when it was delayed just once, I don't think they had any choice other than to release it when they did. Maybe they thought the extra few months would give them the time needed to put the features in that everyone expected from the beginning but you need to understand that this wasn't just the fault of HG and Murray alone. I strongly believe, to this day, that Sony should be blamed for what happened more than anything else. They were the corporate machine in the background pushing Murray to say just about anything to get a good response. I mean the guy went on The Late Show with Colbert for fucks sake! How much more proof do you need that Sony was behind it? You think a dev with two games to it's name, no matter the project they had coming, would be able to secure a spot on a show like that, with a national audience without Sony's help!? Fuck no. And Sony probably saw the people foaming at the bit to get just a taste of it that they figured they could say anything, whatever it took to put more flame to the fire. Some kid bought a prerelease version on eBay for a substantial amount of money just to get a few weeks earlier access to it! When have you heard that happening before?

No, I think HG was painted into a small corner by the hype and Sony and had nowhere to go. Given that a full two and half years later, they're still adding to it and trying to make it the game all of us wanted to begin with absolves them of any of the sins Murray might have committed before launch, at least in my eyes. There's plenty of outright corporate villainy in the industry today that we don't have to constantly bang on the drum that one game happened to not be what was believed at launch. That's par for the course nowadays! At least we have a game and one that continues to improve. It could've been vaporware or HG could have dropped it after release due to backlash. They didn't. And because of that, I support them 100%. They're trying to fix a mistake they made, for whatever reason and that's about as human as you can get.

=-Rigs-=

12. Re: No Man's Sky Next This Summer Mar 29, 2018, 16:13 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Mar 29, 2018, 13:09:
Yup, bought this 1.5 years after release and really enjoyed it for 100 hours. Planet exploration and taking pics of all the weird creatures was really fun.

@Rigs, what mods you using?

Quite a few, actually. All the main ones from nomansskymods.com right after the last major update, 1.34, I grabbed. I see that there's been quite a few big mods released since then that overhaul almost everything about the game that I didn't even know about until I just looked again! One called the 'Darconia 2018' overhaul looks pretty substantial but doesn't allow the use of other mods with it. So far, some that I've got...

-Better Atmospheric Clouds
-Chromatic-Aberration-Vignetting-Scan-Lines-Removal
-Crescent Worlds
-E3-SHIP-HUD-Original-E3-Trailer-Ship-HUD
-Fast-Actions (a must!)
-Faster-Movement
-No-glowing-light-around-planet
-Realistic-Plant-and-Tree-Sizes
-Rotating Atmospheric Shader for Atlas Rises
-Clean Skies
-DEEP SPACE
-Reduced Launch Cost
-Ringed Planets 1.1 and Rotating clouds shader

Many can be found together in #RaYRoD's Community Mod...

This is just a few but I haven't checked in on the mod scene in a while since I was only playing here and there in-between other games. I see now that they've released a lot since I was last there. With these mods and the updates, NMS seems like the game that HG meant to make and it's well worth the money, IMO. Like I said, I can't wait to see what they release next!

I even have my Level 4 ATLAS pass (not mine in picture but it looks similar with designation 'AWK') that they sent me, finally, framed and on my wall! Took them a few months but I got it. It was a gift for the first 10,000 people that participated in the ARG last summer. It's no bigger than a business card and I didn't think I got one since it took so long to get to me but nearly six months later, there it was in the mail! I wonder if they'll continue the 'Walking Titan' ARG from before for the new stuff?

=-Rigs-=

4. Re: No Man's Sky Next This Summer Mar 29, 2018, 12:57 Rigs

Zoopster wrote on Mar 29, 2018, 10:38:
Sorry Murray. You fooled us once, not again.

Silence the non-believer!

Oooh, I can't wait! I'm sorry, call me a fool, I fucking love this game! Yeah, it sucked at release but with mods and the latest updates, it rocks! It's nowhere near X3:TC/AP status but somethin' tells me HG might just have something like that up their sleeve for the update and I'm so lookin' forward to it!

So we got this - NMS 'Next', X4, Star Citizen, more E:D shenanigans, Empyrion...did I miss any? Oh! Planet Nomads, Osiris: New Dawn and Avorion are shaping up pretty well, too! Yeah, not space sims in the strictest sense but they've got the planet exploration and ship building stuff down...good year to be a space sim fan, for sure!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Jalopy Rolls Out
6. Re: Jalopy Rolls Out Mar 29, 2018, 12:37 Rigs

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 29, 2018, 08:21:
Thanks for the mini review Rigs
I was going to grab it.

You're very welcome. I mean, for a first project or an indie type thing for a few bucks, then you could do a lot worse but for what it's asking and the problems it has, I just...I can't recommend it. I really want to, it's definitely unique and when it works it's fun, for a while, but it's certainly not ready for 1.0 release status and not for the amount they want. I've only had a few goes at it where everything worked the way it was supposed to. Just no. And it kills me to say it because I had high hopes for it. Many of us did.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Jalopy Rolls Out
4. Re: Jalopy Rolls Out Mar 29, 2018, 03:15 Rigs

Oh my god, this thing is not ready! WTF?! It's still a bug-ridden mess and there's still not a lot of content. Think 'Art Film'. Unique but shallow and pretentious. The dude that made this, I think was learning as he went and, well, I would imagine he just got tired of it. You can literally get into a game where nothing works or maybe your wallet doesn't work, or maybe a button doesn't work or maybe something disappears. Who the fuck knows?! The programmer sure as hell doesn't! In fact, for most of development, the grandfather, your 'companion', wasn't even in the game! He bugged out too much and broke the game, so he was sidelined to just stand there at the start.

This is another one of those 'didn't know how to fix it and got tired so cut his loses' kind of situations, apparently. Severely disappointed, this could have been so good if it had it's unique take along with maybe ETS2-type gameplay. I dunno, maybe we expected too much and that wasn't his intent. Either way, buyer beware!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2018, 03:25.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 28, 2018, 19:24 Rigs

I think once Amazon gets the rest of the Baby Boomer set, they'll be unstoppable. All those that still insist on going to the local WalMart or Target because they see news reports about online theft and think it will happen every. single. time. they. do. it. Seriously, both my mother and my cousin, Jo, whose 74, have this weird bias against it, even if it would be miles easier. Especially my mother, whose 72. Jo's sorta dipped her toe in but my Mom will not unless I pester the crap out of her to do so. Her excuse? 'It's just easier to go to Wal-Mart and look'...which always gets a double take from me. Like, 'wha?! That's the whole reason Amazon exists!'. But try as I might, she won't be turned and there are many her age and slightly younger that are the same. Once this segment of the population is convinced, it's over for the Mom and Pop stores, especially.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > PC Building Simulator Early Access
10. Re: PC Building Simulator Early Access Mar 28, 2018, 19:14 Rigs

Sepharo wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 16:22:
Won't be realistic unless 20% of the parts are defective and you have to triage post codes and then drive to the store to buy a replacement for what *might* be the problem but you won't know until you try.

DLC, buy the season pass!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1
19. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 28, 2018, 19:13 Rigs

Sooo, anyone wanna take a crack at my question or are we staying on topic this one time for some crazy unknown reason?

=-Rigs-=

3059 Comments. 153 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo