Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 3085 (Veteran)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 14:19 Rigs

Leper wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 12:20:
Vio wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 09:47:
Honestly I think steam sales and game backlogs as a result have done more to prevent piracy than all the copy protections thrown together.

Don't forget all these day 1 patches and then constant updates after that. Most pirated games (at least a few years ago) required a new crack every time there's an update. Who wants to play with an old version of the game? The whole process with keeping your pirated games patched and cracked isn't worth the effort.

No offense, but that's a bit...lazy, don't you think? Again, I am legally obligated to stress, apparently, that I am not condoning piracy by speaking about it. Movingalong If you play a game on a daily basis because you really like it or want to get through it and you encounter problems, I can promise you're gonna be looking for a patch every single day until that problem is acknowledged and fixed.

Piracy groups are usually pretty good at putting out patches for the games they crack. In most cases, more than one group will do so. Why? Status. All through the 90's, the whole point of being in a cracking group was status, rising through the ranks, making a name for yourself and your crew. I'm not kidding. Take a look at an .nfo file from that era and you'll see members names, friendly and rival groups names and the locations of their hangouts plastered all over it. Most collected on BBS's before the web was a thing and even after. Almost every area in the U.S. had a 'Pirate Bay' BBS. Mine did in west central FL in the mid-90's and I met the guy who ran it once as well. (I didn't know it at the time but a friend later confirmed that it was him)

These days it's almost as easy as STEAM to download and patch a cracked game. Sure, you have to do some manual work yourself and know where to look (not to mention know who puts out reliable, trojan-free releases on a continual basis) but it's really no different, in my mind, than modding a game. That requires as much or even more effort. It's a lot easier now than it was during the DOS-era.

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2018, 19:10 Rigs

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 16:53:
Halo reach's campaign is awesome. I remember playing through that with a couple buddies in marathon sessions. One of the best Halo campaigns I've played. I'd probably rank Halo2 as my favorite for the single player campaign, but reach is definitely second. I've only played about half the games though. Didn't fuck with ODST, 4 or 5, wars, etc.

I still havent played through Bioshock 1, let alone Infinite, so don't feel bad there.. in fact, I'm still finishing up Fallout 2 in preparation to start on New Vegas and then 3 / 4.

I only got a 360 in 2014 and up until then, I'd only played HALO 1/2 on PC. (I do have a collectors edition of HALO2 on my original HALO CE Xbox (the green transparent one)) but I am an admitted HALO fanboy and kept track of the Halo story and read the books. When I finally was able to play REACH, it was everything I'd hoped for but I got stuck about midway through the game on one particular mission. Since I play mainly on the PC, using a controller in an FPS took some getting used to and I'm still nowhere near proficient at it. There's no way I'd ever be 'Pro' material on a console. Without the mouse's more precise aim, I'm typically shooting all over the place or not at all when I should be. It's been frustrating and I still haven't gotten past that point. I put it up for a while and went on to HALO4 and, surprisingly, had a much easier time playing it. The shooting felt more natural and precise and while I did struggle at times, I became much better at it, quicker, than I ever did in REACH. I'm not sure what the difference is (besides different developers) but, to me, HALO4 is much easier to play than REACH.

Once I get my system cleaned up and Windows10 installed, I'll probably mess with HALO Wars 2 and the HALO5 Forge. It's the closest thing I can get to HALO5 since I don't have an Xbone. I'm sorely disappointed that 343 didn't release The Master Chief Collection on PC. Even given it's problems, it still would have sold millions.

=-Rigs-=

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2018, 18:27 Rigs

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 17:00:
Forgetting the big picture, are we? Games used to be cracked on release day, if not leaked and fully playable up to a week in advance... If they're bragging about cracking something in "not even a month," that still means the publishers are winning, lol.

Not at all, just pointing out the fact that since the appearance of Denuvo on the scene, it's been increasingly harder and harder for groups to crack games with it as protection. You're correct, games used to be cracked on release day and most still are. However, those games weren't the focus of my point.

Each release of a game with Denuvo brings with it newer versions of the protection scheme and thus, groups have to figure out ways of getting around it. Only one group, to my knowledge, CPY, even bothers doing so. The others don't even try. This isn't really surprising given that most of CPY's members are Chinese and, as such, are mostly outside the bounds of U.S. and even European authorities' jurisdiction. Lords of the Fallen took nearly two years to be cracked as did Far Cry Primal. Having FC5 cracked in a month is quite the accomplishment, relatively speaking. This all being said without regard to it's moral or ethical justifications (or lack thereof).

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 17:24:
Every day that scummy thieves can't pirate the game is just another day of sales.
At least adults don't pirate steal software.

Yes, because talking about it indicated my condoning such actions. Movingalong

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2018, 19:12.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2018, 16:44 Rigs

Also wanted to note that Far Cry 5, as of this morning, has been cracked! So, it took CPY, what? Not even a month? Ubi should give it up at this point...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced
40. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2018, 16:12 Rigs

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 00:01:

gpu prices are coming down already, close to msrp in some places now.

edit: 1060 3gb back down @ $200

Sill not worth the money, IMO. You can get a 1050ti/4gb (like mine) for less and have roughly the same performance with an extra gb of texture RAM, which is critical nowadays. More speed doesn't help when you're constricted to 3gb. You'll bottleneck well before the speed/fps limit of the card, getting you more micro-stutter than you can shake a stick VIVE Motion Controller at. Before I got my 1050ti/4gb, last year, I had an HD7850/1gb and knew that I needed something with more RAM to fit those textures in. I could live with having a lower FPS if it meant less microstutter. Games like GTA5, Far Cry 4, Dying Light and The Witcher3 are a lot more sensitive to texture RAM limits in my experience. So when I had the opportunity to get a 960/2gb and then a 1060/3gb, I passed on both. Sure, they were 'faster' outright but the 1050ti had just come out and was looking really good at $165 for 4gb. So that's what I grabbed and I haven't been disappointed.

Just some handy advice from ol' Uncle Rigs...

=-Rigs-=

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2018, 16:05 Rigs

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 14:36:
https://www.ebay.com/p/Red-Dead-Redemption-Microsoft-Xbox-360-2010/72452757

RDR1 for 360 (backwards compatible with xb1), for $8 brand new. Seems too good to be true, but I just ordered one.

I paid $5 for it along with Halo3 and Bioshock Infinite (for a grand whopping total of dinner for two at Hardees/TacoBell/Wendys - $15) at Gamestop about six months ago and I, admittedly, haven't even installed them yet. I know, I'm horrible. I wanted RDR for so long (along with HALO Reach) and then I got them and I was like, eh, I'll play it later, why rush? I'm so ashamed...

=-Rigs-=

34. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 14, 2018, 11:21 Rigs

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 23:27:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 19:12:
Rigs wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 17:38:
10 VM's at once?! I must really be using my system wrong because the other day when I was using a Linux VM it nearly brought it to it's knees. I mean, a Core i5-750/2.8, 14gb DDR3 and a 1050ti/4gb isn't exactly shabby. Then again, as RedEye can attest, my drives are just tad bit fragmented (and full), so maybe that's why. I guess it's time I did some spring cleaning on the old girl. Eight years old now and still goin' as my daily driver. I really can't complain, it's been the best system I ever built. *shrugs*

It's a Xeon E5-2690 v2 with 128GB of DDR3. It was specifically built so that I can use it to fully emulate stacked clusters before I rolled them out in to production. I also happen to game on it.

I got a stacked cluster you can "roll out into production" right over here, buddy.

Giggle

=-Rigs-=

28. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 18:54 Rigs

Creston wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 18:21:
GUYZ I NLY GET 12 FPS ON LOW IN SKRYIM HALP!

Did you install the latest Detonator drivers?! And don't forget to update DirectX 5! Maybe rebooting into MS-DOS mode will help instead of doing it through Windows98. I hear 98SE takes a lot of resources...think I'll stick with 95SR2 for now, even tho I can't use my new printer... Wacko

=-Rigs-=

25. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 17:38 Rigs

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 16:46:
I would surmise effective thermal management. My "old" machine with a 970 in it is also whisper quiet under most cases when gaming and it is sitting in a rack right next to me. Granted, I am not using a "PC" case per se. I'm using a 4U rackmount chassis with three fans in front, three fans midplane, and four fans at the rear which provide excellent axial flow. However, PC cases have come a long, long way since the old Antec pedestal chassis and desktop pizza boxes in terms of effectively moving cold air in and hot air out. Even when I have 10 VMs running and working, the stock cooler doesn't spin up to even the middle of its RPM range.

10 VM's at once?! I must really be using my system wrong because the other day when I was using a Linux VM it nearly brought it to it's knees. I mean, a Core i5-750/2.8, 14gb DDR3 and a 1050ti/4gb isn't exactly shabby. Then again, as RedEye can attest, my drives are just tad bit fragmented (and full), so maybe that's why. I guess it's time I did some spring cleaning on the old girl. Eight years old now and still goin' as my daily driver. I really can't complain, it's been the best system I ever built. *shrugs*

Creston wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 14:44:
I let an arbitrary things like 9000 dollars for an extra cooler stop me.

Seems legit. Fair enough.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2018, 14:33 Rigs

Exit scammers run off with $660 million in ICO earnings.

Investors have been told that they would enjoy a profit rate of 48 percent a month from their initial investment, and recoup all investments after four months. People would also be rewarded with an eight percent commission for every new member they have introduced to the network.

Rotfl

Whoever puts money into this bullshit deserves losing their money.

=-Rigs-=

17. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 14:25 Rigs

Creston wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 14:15:
Don't confuse the Wraith cooler with the garbage that Intel ships with their processors. The Wraith cooler is fucking awesome. It easily overclocks my 1700 from 3Ghz to 3.8Ghz and is still just dead SILENT at that point. In fact, my whole PC is whisper silent.

That's still well below my arbitrary 7ghz threshold, Creston. C'mon, man! You're not gonna let a little thing like heat stop ya, right?

=-Rigs-=

9. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 12:07 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 11:24:
Rigs wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 11:04:
=- /s -=
You should really put a /s on that lest someone think you actually believe what you posted.
https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2014/02/19/why-has-cpu-frequency-ceased-to-grow
Who says I was being /s?

mag wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 11:34:
That's not what Moore's Law is.
Ignoring Ah huh! I looked it up and everything!

ExGemini wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 11:49:
*hands him a warm cup of cofee*
Here you go mate
Oh, hey, thanks! Saved me a trip to the kitchen! Coffee

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Conan Exiles Trailer Celebrates Next Month's Launch
2. Re: Conan Exiles Trailer Celebrates Next Month's Launch Apr 13, 2018, 11:20 Rigs

So, having never played this before, is it completely PVP with a little PVE here and there or is there actual single-player content in it? Because if I can play single-player, that would be awesome, though it looks like your hard work building a house can be crushed in like two seconds, which I would imagine would be quite...frustrating.

=-Rigs-=

2. Re: New AMD Ryzen CPUS Announced Apr 13, 2018, 11:04 Rigs

So is this where we are now? Forget GHZ, lets see how many cores we can stuff into a microscopic space? I wonder how much better those 8 cores would be at, oh, 7ghz? or 10ghz? Because that's where we should be by now. Hell, BY NOW, using Moore's Law, we should be at 50ghz. We're being held back! Conservatives? Liberals? Illuminati? Vulcans? I dunno, but cores are not our future! This industry was built on pushing the speed limit, MHZ then GHZ and now we've been hovering around 4ghz for more than a decade! This industry is stagnant and it's a fucking disgrace!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes
31. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 11, 2018, 18:23 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 12:40:
Beamer wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 11:50:
Funny how some blame evil AAA publishers for this, others blame whiny "SJW" indie devs for this.

Everyone has a boogeyman. My guess is this is just about privacy and what's going on with other social networks, which Steam is as well as a store. EU regulations mandated this.

Funny that Valve was able to whip this up in the two weeks since the Collateral Analytics story broke, but 14 years later, no Half Life 3.

Something something Black Lives Matter something SJW something AntiFa something something Laura Ingraham.

Sean Hannity.

Gun control.

There, I just saved you guys about a page worth of bullshit. You can thank me later.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Myst 25th Anniversary Collection Kickstarter
15. Re: Myst 25th Anniversary Collection Kickstarter Apr 11, 2018, 10:10 Rigs

Task wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 20:08:
Nutritional value perhaps, but you can't sell a couple floaters only of value to waste disposal ;). I don't have a brick oven where I live, equivalents, but I'll check it out the next time I'm in Austin.

Shit's supposed to float?! Wow, all this time...mine sinks right to the bottom with a *CLANG!*...then again I shit gold bricks, so that could be why. Everyone thinks that shitting gold brinks would be awesome but, you know, the bloody cleanup is the worst! Not to mention I can't sit for a few hours afterward...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2018, 23:41 Rigs

Hmm, I don't get it. STEAM has the Witcher3 GOTY on sale for $20, which is really good for those that don't have it yet but then I see that they have the original version (without the expansions) for $20 also, which is also on sale. WTF? Why would anyone grab that when they can get the whole thing for the same price? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Bus Simulator 18 in June
6. Re: Bus Simulator 18 in June Apr 9, 2018, 15:09 Rigs

El Pit wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 15:00:
Get off my bus, you punks!

Make it a school bus game where after the first week at work, the driver turns into an alcoholic who has daydreams of nuking the school from orbit.

Hmmm, I suspect there's some true trauma stories in there somewhere...care to share? Wacko

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > DCS World 2.5 Released
23. Re: DCS World 2.5 Released Apr 9, 2018, 15:06 Rigs

Bard wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 10:08:
Rilcon wrote on Apr 8, 2018, 22:30:
Assuming my only interest is in WW2 and I'm looking for something that can feel realistic without needing to go through a 25-step checklist just to start the engine, should I go with this or the latest IL-2 (or something else entirely)?

I've been out of the "sim" game for over a decade; didn't have space for a flightstick on my desk anymore...

Yes, grab the latest IL2.

Or...grab Wings of Prey. It's pretty good for WW2 air combat and is the same engine as the online-only WarThunder, which is also pretty good, if a bit more arcadey. Whenever I want to load up a newer WW2 flight combat sim, WoP is what I go to. For more modern combat alternatives, there's always the Strike Fighter 2-series. (Along with War over Europe and War over Vietnam) Just don't buy the STEAM versions, they're broken as shit. Get it right from the publisher. (I'm on my tablet, so I can't give you links ATM, sorry)

The latest IL-2 releases are ok, just a bit overly difficult. Sometimes I think it's too much. You have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to playability and fun but I guess that's subjective. One man's technical manual is another mans novel. Or something like that.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > DCS World 2.5 Released
11. Re: DCS World 2.5 Released Apr 8, 2018, 21:34 Rigs

It absolutely boggles my mind that in 2018, the flight combat sim genre has dried up to nearly nothing. This (along with wargaming and RPG's) were the cornerstone of PC gaming back when it started!

When I started playing on 'modern' systems, you couldn't take two steps without tripping over a flight combat sim or flight sim in general! If only I could take the devs from Microprose and Spectrum Holobyte (AND Looking Glass!) and bring them here from 1994...maybe then this genre would be the leader that it was two decades ago and rightfully should be. Where are the graphical powerhouse versions of F-15 Strike Eagle, F-14 Fleet Defender, Falco-..oh, well, forget I mentioned that one, F-117 Stealth Fighter, LHX, Apache Longbow, Hind, Thunderhawk, Silent Thunder, A-10 Tank Killer, Aces of the Pacific, Aces Over Europe, European Air War, 1942: Pacific Air War, Pacific Strike, B-17, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Battlehawks 1942, Their Finest Hour...the list just goes on and on. If, in 1993, when I was clutching my box of Aces of the Pacific so hard it left marks, that in the year 2018, the only real flight combat sim would be DCS, I would have been seriously upset. Now, it only makes me that much more depressed. Yeah, DCS is gorgeous, but it's the only game in town. And with 1080ti video cards and octo-core 4ghz CPUs, that's just pathetic.

=-Rigs-=

3085 Comments. 155 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo