Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2758 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay?
78. Re:Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 20:08 Rigs

I think, for now on, on all Star Citizen threads, Blue should post a big-ass banner ad or three small ones, or a video ad, something that brings in hella money, and if you want to participate in the clusterfucks that are Blue's Star Citizen Discussions, you gotta contribute a little before you...contribute a little (or a lot). And in these types of discussions, the rules are a little more lax, but it has to, in some way, trace back to SC. Call 'em 'Star Citizen Pit Fight threads or something and you pay-to-play, just like everything else that's screwed up in this god forsaken industry. Crazy?

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
---------------------------------------
'The only way to win is not to play', huh?
Here, hold my beer...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

62. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 17, 2017, 02:23 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 01:58:
Can it being trolling if the poster believes it to be true? KXMode is a great guy, but when science contradicts the Bible, he tends to go off the deep end.

Yeah, I didn't mean anything bad by it, I just thought it was a funny situation, given how other discussions have gone like this...just havin' some fun at KXMode's expense, that's all...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 2017, 02:34.

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

59. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 16, 2017, 23:49 Rigs

NKD wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 23:42:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 22:43:
sir wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 17:21:
They reckon that the sun will die five or so billion years from now.

You say that like you know for a fact it will happen. That's cute.

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting your post, but are you saying that there's some uncertainty about the Sun's future? Last I checked there hadn't been any new data to suggest anything other than it transitioning to a red giant and turning Earth uninhabitable in just over 5 billion years.

*smacks NKD on the back of the head*

Whatsdamattawityou?!

I am not pulling that fishing hook out of your mouth! You sit there and think about what you did while I go searching for some pliers...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 2017, 02:50.

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

54. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 16, 2017, 21:54 Rigs

Neeevergonnagetit, never gonna get it
Never gonna get it, gonna get it

Imagine if the top news item on Blues one day was 'Chris Roberts Goes Missing, Star Citizen Cancelled', I theorize that the comments section would burn to the ground! Even people that don't play/like space combat sims like SC and Elite:Dangerous still know what Star Citizen is. If it happened on the same day that Trump announced his resignation (or the Dems announced they were starting Impeachment Proceedings*), the Net would go down as if a North Korean EMP pulse went off! And if all of those happened at once? Well, you probably wouldn't know because the country would be in a state of anarchy due to the cancellation of Star Citizen...

=-Rigs-=

*Note, I am not making a political argument, nor am I trying to start one!

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 15, 2017, 15:40 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 15, 2017, 10:17:
I was a little surprised, I thought I was pushing the limits. No worries, no harm, no foul.

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. I guess it was something I needed to get out and didn't realize it. I don't drink much because even one beer will give me a nasty hangover the next day (my nickname when I was 18 was 'One Beer' lol). That was the first time in six or seven years. I didn't feel too bad yesterday but then I remembered that I'd written that and when I saw how much I'd written...

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2017, 19:38 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 19:02:
My father had a similar decline from his re-occurrence of prostrate cancer which spread to bone cancer. He died while on "home hospice" care and to this day I wonder if at his request my mother might have overdosed him on morphine, which they had as part of the hospice care. I never asked her, and she has since also died. I kind of doubt she did, but even if she did -- I'd have no complaint.

Well, when my father passed, he was so drugged up, he wasn't conscious. He'd been that way for the previous four days, pretty much since Hospice had started caring for him. But one event and two very odd conversations during those four days have both my mother and I thinking, even now, that something went on. And we're both torn as to whether, if it did happen, it was better that it did, as you said.

<Rest Of Response Redacted>

Wow, I was a little...um...drunk last night, given the circumstances, and wrote a little more than I thought. On further reflection, I think those that I was responding to saw what I've said and I don't think I need to leave something that personal (and painful) up forever. I saved the text, so I'm not trying to erase it from history and if anyone is that curious, they can see what I wrote, I just think I wrote a little more than I'm comfortable with...uh, sober. Not many typos though! Surprising!

Hope you guys understand.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2017, 17:23.

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2017, 18:03 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 15:39:
That hurricane track is bizarre.

It's the first cyclone of it's kind since the 'Night of the Big Wind' on Jan 6th, 1839. Though, by the time Ophelia gets to Ireland, it'll most likely be an extratropical (ie cold core) low packing hurricane-force winds. Which is no joke and they should still prepare for some rough weather, though they won't really have to worry about an eye or the eye-wall or anything like that. In fact, it'll probably be part of a cold front (as the 'Night of the Big Wind' was apparently). One notable thing I found in that article about the older storm is an observation of 'motionless clouds' in the calm day before the storm that night. That got me wondering if it's even possible for clouds to be completely motionless? I guess I never really considered it and always thought they'd have at least some motion to them. I know fog can be motionless, to a point, and really all fog is is a cloud at ground level.

Anyway, the 13th of October is a rather depressing day for me, personally. It's the day my father passed away in 2009. He had pancreatic cancer (having beaten prostate cancer a decade before) and was being cared for at home by Hospice. (Don't get me started on Hospice. The rumors of them employing 'Angels of Death' (as some call them) are, IMO, very much true) I had the unfortunate 'pleasure' of watching my 240 pound father waste away to 100 pounds during 2009, not to mention the hundreds of hours spent in emergency rooms and doctors offices. Toward the end, my mother was close to a breakdown and I wasn't far behind. We both sat there holding his hand as he passed. Something I sometimes wish I hadn't done because now it's seared in my brain no matter how much I don't want to think about it. Between that and my sister's passing on Oct 3rd, 2006, which was a shock to the entire family, I don't really look forward to October. I'd rather just power through it and be done with it.

Sorry, didn't mean to be a bummer, guys. Hope you get better, Blue! I had the flu a few months ago, before my surgery and it was absolutely awful. Would not want to repeat that again.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Destiny 2 System Specs Unchanged
5. Re: Destiny 2 System Specs Unchanged Oct 13, 2017, 17:43 Rigs

What is this heresy on the front page of Blues?! A table?! Next there'll be screens and video! Sacrilege!

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Oct 12, 2017, 03:33 Rigs

I can say I was very surprised to see it there this morning! I didn't expect to see it, if at all, at least for a week or two. Nope. One day. Not even. Although, at 94 and a half fucking gigs, there's no way IN HELL I'm ever gonna be able to download it, even legit. That's two months of my data cap! Fuck. That.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > World of Warplanes 2.0 Tomorrow
3. Re: World of Warplanes 2.0 Tomorrow Oct 11, 2017, 20:06 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 12:06:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 10:25:
Amazes me that Blizzard doesn't go after them for that name. I remember when LucasArts went after Remedy for a logo that looked too similar to theirs.

You can't copyright the world.

No, but they try anyway. Like when Intel wanted to copyright the number '586' and got shot down, they went with Pentium instead. After a while these corps think they can do anything. The money literally goes to their head.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 17:22 Rigs

Congrats, Blue, Happy Anniversary! I'm proud to be a Blues regular/veteran and wear my t-shirt with my head held high and chest out everywhere I can! Would really love to get another one (or 10)! I've even considered making one of my own, maybe with the #63 Bluesnews Chevy on it, but I want to update the paintjob first. I have some ideas but nothing solid yet.

Here's to another 21 years or more!

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > On CoD: WWII Beta Detail Leaks
4. Re: On CoD: WWII Beta Detail Leaks Oct 9, 2017, 17:06 Rigs

Wash Washburne wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 16:01:
That made me chuckle.

Beta was was interesting, got to run around and get killed every 30 sec. Found myself allied with mix'n'match type squad, some in Nazi uniforms, I was on Allied side in my Airborne OP's, hey I guess those Goosestepping mofo's turned on their Furer, so didn't think much about it, wen't into battle with my trustworthy STG 44...guess it was a captured weapon, meh, to battle I went, shot some Rangers that were on the German side, TRADERS I yelled, as I hosed them down with led...

Briefly wondered what history books they have read, uninstalled...

Uh, you mean 'Tr8tors', right?

In a game about WW2, this looks to be about the worst recreation of it in a long time on PC. I mean, go back and play CoD 1 and 2 and then play this and tell me, besides the 'OMG, 'dem graFics!', in regards to pure gameplay and FUN factor, which is better? I can't help but relate to Mack's sentiments over at 'WAB' (Worth a Buy) on YT. He said it better, really, than I ever could. Take it away Mack!

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 17:49 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 16:58:
I was essentially forced into it, initially. My first car was provided to me by my parents, and at the time I could not refuse as I had no other choice. My dad bought me a $500 1968 VW bug, this was in 1980. So, I learned to drive a manual by necessity. These days, I've never had anything but manuals (minus about 12 months) and I handle it practically subconsciously. I have had more than one person comment on their first drive with me that they didn't realize it was a manual drive until either after the ride or when I was parking at our destination.

A couple of years ago, I was getting a ring job on the engine, so the dealer gave me a loaner. It was an automatic, of course, and after a week of driving it I was nearly ready to kill someone it annoyed me so much.

It really doesn't take away from my paying attention to other things. And I'm someone who knows if you setup your mirrors correctly, there isn't a blind spot.

Ah, a lot of my friends who drive manual well tell me that it's really second nature after a while and doesn't really take from your concentration. But being a noob at it I really can't see how...lol. Even my best friend, when we were still teens, would rub it in that I couldn't drive manual and she could but then she was driving my (auto) truck one day (a custom S-10, lowered, dual exhaust, changed chip...the works, all my father's work, he was to cars as I am to computers) and she slammed the brake pedal thinking she was hitting the clutch on her Ford Ranger! 'Bout put me through the windshield! Haven't let her live it down in the 20+ years since...lol...I suppose if I'd been made to learn it when I was young, as you were, things would be different but my parents both could drive manual but didn't prefer it so I lucked out.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 15:03 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 11:45:
*meh* Maybe occasionally I am a little bit of a jerk, but most of the time I am simply driving reasonably and the people who are seriously interested in hurrying screw themselves.

Specifically, if I am slowing down for a red light, and someone thinks they'll be faster by switching from behind me, only to realize they are wrong as I coast by the stopped traffic, which drove at the speed limit until they had to break for the light, and then light changes to green -- allowing me to drive past them because I didn't stop, isn't being much of an asshole...

You would probably have a hell of a good time cruising through Ocala traffic. Gainesville is horrible because it's literally bumper-to-bumper, but in Ocala, it's SR200, which is a 3-4 lane drag strip where the traffic is spread out enough to have some fun. I could never get comfortable driving a stick, I'm ok with the gear-shifting part, it's the clutch part that my brain just isn't wired to understand, I guess. I've tried and tried, even virtually with my G25, I usually try to do manual at first but just give up. I just was never meant to drive manual...lol. I prefer to keep my attention on the road around me anyway. It used to drive me nuts when my ex-wife drove because she'd have to mess with the mirror, the seat, get the cigarette out, mess with the radio, check her phone...it's like, 'Just fucking drive!'. I hardly even talk when I'm driving. I liken it more to flying a Spitfire, my head is always on a swivel! And I know the dimensions of my 2003 Ford Focus (don't laugh!), I know where it can fit and where it can't. This comes in handy when some redneck takes up two spots in the parking lot with his jacked Dodge RAM and I squeeze in-between his Monster Truck tires and the line, just to fuck with his head...

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 23:44 Rigs

1badmf wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 18:00:
Creston wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 17:51:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 15:00:
Zipper Merging in Traffic Seems Rude but Research Shows It Is the Best Approach.

I remember reading an article about this a couple of years ago. Even though I know it's the most efficient way, it still pisses me off when people cut.

I admit I always cut, but unlike 99% of the drooling mouthbreathers here in Tulsa, I can actually drive, so I just coast along the main line waiting for the line to accelerate, then I smoothly slide into one of the inevitable gaps that happens when a line of cars accelerates. Nobody ever has to brake for me or is hindered by me doing this, and yet people still get pissed.

Most of the idiots who "cut", of course, try to merge in when everyone is braking or when everyone is already standing still, thus causing clumps and delays.

MERGE WHEN THE LINE IS EXPANDING, NOT WHEN IT'S CONTRACTING, IDIOTS.

out here in california i think a lot of us came to htis conclusion a long time ago. nobody gives a shit about zipper merges anymore - when a lane shuts down we all just flow to the end until the cones force us to conform. i mean there's always one asshole who has to merge as late as possible, as if forcing his way in between two stopped cars will save him any time vs merging over to faster lanes sooner but it's always fun to give them the stink eye as I flow past that neanderthal that roared past me cuz he thought i was wasting his time by not waiting till i knocked over a couple cones before i merged.

I'm, no doubt, probably a bloke most of you would give the two-step finger-horn to during traffic diving. I'm fine on the highway but get me in a city~ish area with traffic and I turn into 'Baby Driver'. Every two weeks I have to go from my home to Spring Hill, which is a 140-mile drive one-way. Most of it is spent on I-75, which is a battleground of tractor trailers, highway patrol, pricks with BMWs (no offense, Beamer!) and construction with some city driving on either end. It's those bits that I like the most. I think if I was back home in NJ, I might seriously consider becoming a taxi driver in NYC. In another life, I could've been a NASCAR driver but I have to make due with iRacing instead.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens
21. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 6, 2017, 16:58 Rigs

DangerDog wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 16:36:
That seems strange, drop pod mechanic was in the last BF4 expansion pack and all these hints pointing to BF2143. I assumed it went off the radar due to getting the Star Wars license, possibly the Titanfall conflict as well.

Battlefield 1 was just okay, not great not horrible. New Battlefield game next year? My guess would be returning to WWII.

This game though, loot crates for progression, bury graphic effects - chromatic aberrations, no server browser. It's like they're trying their best to fail.

No, I think that what EA wants is still a piece of that Call of Duty pie and with Medal of Honor dishonorably discharged and, for all intents and purposes, dead to them, they look to Battlefield and Battlefront to bridge the gap. It may be old to us, PC gamers, but to the filthy casuals on console, it's still the meat and mashed potatoes of their gaming diet. Basically console's Counterstrike. Until MoH makes a return or they find another game to take up that mantle, it will be this way. Don't expect any meaningful innovation until then, I certainly don't.

As for the new consoles release, the Xbox One X isn't even out yet, so I don't think MS is going to pull a successor to the Xbone out in two years time. In fact, I have a feeling that the next gens release might be staggered, as the mid-console refresh was, ie. Sony will bring out the PS5 maybe in 2020-2021 and then MS will be ready with their follow up to the Xbone in 2021-2022. They almost certainly won't call it the Xbox Two, so I'd be much more interested in what they'll call it. (Calling this gen the Xbox One was still a monumentally stupid idea!)

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > New Star Trek Online Season
9. Re: No subject Oct 5, 2017, 23:07 Rigs

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 4, 2017, 23:00:

The utlimate bridge commander was Klingon Academy.

I absolutely adored KA and I still play it once in a while. It has had a permanent place on my various hard drives since it's release. As consolation for Interplay's ill-fated web promotion of KA which was cancelled at the last minute, those of us with a KA-related site were able to get a free game of our choice (most chose KA, but I chose Freespace 2: GOTY because I wanted to buy KA on release day), a KA poster (which has the gamebox image on the front and the various ship classes on the back in detail) and a very snazzy t-shirt, which hangs proudly in my closet as we speak, worn maybe twice and never washed. I'd followed the game since even before it's announcement, hanging out on the Starfleet Academy forum, waiting anxiously for any tidbit or news posted to the KA forum. It was grand and exciting and I loved the game to death. You could tell the dev team really had their heart in it and made the best game they could with what they had, tweaking and jury-rigging the SFA engine into something unrecognizable to what it had been just a few years prior! They were even able, somehow, to shoehorn in higher resolutions just days before release.

And, yet, after release, they had just barely enough time to get out two patches before they were unceremoniously shown the door. I'll never forgive Brian Fargo for that, no matter what he accomplishes since then. That was a very cold and cruel business decision when it didn't need to be made. Between that and the cancellation of Babylon5: Into the Fire by Sierra, I was a very jaded and heartbroken space-simmer...only X saved me from oblivion...

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 22:46 Rigs

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 18:40:
I still have a 20gb drive that runs fine to this day, though I have no uses for it Btw, how the heavens do you live with a 40GB SSD? I have a 500GB SSD and can barely get along with that, installing Total War games (Warhammer 1 and 2) alone nearly uses 30% of space. I barely got 100GB left...

I have a 1:1 backup in my NAS with HDD's from different companies and dates (to avoid exactly the issue you had) when 1 dies, I just swap out the HDD wait a few hours and all is fine. Of course the first NAS I had (Qnap) the fan died and despite having an replacement it wasn't actually the fan that died but the onboard voltage controller for the fan. I figured that out when it "smelled weird" after 10 minutes.. yay QNAP, never again!

Not fine: Defragging a 4TB HDD.. my god... yes, it is STILL needed, and it REALLY makes a HUGE fucking difference when you get beyond ~50% fragmentation and of course it takes forever (3 days for 4TB, for 8TB, I suspect it would be 12 days...)

I seem to have really good luck with HDD's though. Past 7 years 1 failed (thankfully in my 2 disc raid so aside from a wait there was no data loss). When it failed I bought 2 in a pack so I still have a replacement drive just sitting around not doing anything. You never know ;p

I have 2 mixed HDD's in my NAS because from my IT work I know that you NEVER use the same HDD made on the same day in a raid. Chances are that if they are from the same batch they have the same faults.

Heh, well, at the time 40gb was still a pretty good size SSD, in 2010. It's been my faithful OS boot disk since the beginning, typically leaving a generous 2gb's free space, just in case. Right now, with Win7x64, I have....a little more than 2gb's. Suited me fine. I will admit I was mighty tempted to swap my Mom's new 850 Evo 250gb with my 40gb. I mean she uses her computer maybe 3 or 4 times a week, mostly for banking, FB and light email. She's mostly on her iPad. (I threw both Windows7 AND Windows10 (she had 10gb of RAM but only a 32-bit version of Win7 originally, so was only using 3.5gb and it needed to be replaced with 64-bit. Since I built it, that was my fault for not looking ahead) on her system so that she could learn 10 at her own pace) In fact, I, just today, swapped monitors with her, giving her my 22" Samsung 2253BW LCD (that's 1680x1050, 16:10) and grabbing her 23.9" Dell S2309W LCD (which is 1920x1080, 16:9, full 1080p). I'd really love to get a G-sync monitor now that I have a 1050ti/4gb but it's gonna have to wait a little longer. Maybe for Christmas...lol.

Anyway, I'm dreading doing the whole defrag thing. I know it's gonna take days. Plus I need to off-load some stuff because you're 'supposed' to have at least 10% free (which would be around 200gb's on 2tb) and they're both full!

As for a NAS, I've thought about it but as with the whole RAID thing, I'm currently lacking in experience and knowledge of that particular subject. I'd thought about building a small server with some of the boards, cases and parts I have lying around, just so I could learn how to manage a server and that would require getting to know how to handle a NAS and possibly Linux, but like most projects you write on your 'to-do' list, they keep getting pushed back in exchange for more time wiping out your game backlog. Well, at least it does for me!

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 17:46 Rigs

*LONG STORY WARNING!*

Oh geez, the stories I could tell. Hard drives are a pet peeve of mine and have been for a while, if only because I seem to always get the shittiest bunch of drives on the face of the Earth! I'd thought, in the past, that Seagates were unstoppable, only because the ones I'd had performed very well and lasted nearly a decade. Then, in 2011, I hit a fucking wall, apparently.

I'd gotten a 2tb Western Digital as a backup drive during a new system build (what would be become the system I type this on now - 'Black Omega 2' (The first 'Black Omega', in case you're wondering, was built almost exactly a year before with a (now somewhat legendary Core2Duo E8400), right when the Core i-series came out, so, realizing it was already obsolete out of the box, I sold it to my cousin and built 'BO2' with a first-gen Core i5/750). We were moving houses at the same time and my room was a mess of containers and furniture. In my stupidity, I had it sitting externally on my desk with a long SATA cable and one late night, I snagged it with my leg and down it went onto the hard wood floor while it was copying files. It never ran after that. It would spool up, make a dreadful screech/crunch/multi-car-pileup sound and spool down again. All the files I'd copied over, nearly the whole drive by that point - gone. Oh, I was pissed! At myself, mainly. So I had it RMA'd, telling them it just died one day and had a second drive within a month. At the same time, I bought another 2tb, another Western Digital Caviar Black, near identical to the RMA'd drive. About three months after we moved and I had both drives filled to near bursting, they BOTH started acting strangely, making weird clicking sounds on occasion and one would intermittently drop from view only to come back later. From previous experience with drives that make this sound, I knew they weren't long for this world and RMA'd them both. Fast forward two years, near the end of the replacements' warranty period and they BOTH, once again, started making the same exact fucking clicking noise! I was dumbfounded! And once again, one of them, not both, would intermittently drop from sight. I couldn't believe it! So, I quickly RMA'd them both AGAIN, just getting them in about a week before the warranty on them expired. I now still have the replacements of replacements, after five years and they've run fine, though they ARE full and are in desperate need of a defragging!

I didn't consider using them in a RAID array, since I know you might be wondering that, because A. I needed the space of both B. Both had gone bad before, thus negating the reason for the RAID array to begin with and C. I didn't have any experience in doing it. Since then, I've recently lost a Seagate 500gb drive that was only two years old and another Seagate 500gb drive that was in my mother's system, that I built, that is dying, with 'reallocated sectors' and 'unrecoverable sectors', a sure sign of a dying drive.

It's not that I'm doing anything wrong, these drives just seems to die easily and out of nowhere for no reason. But then I've had drives from my P2/400 system in 1997 that still run, a 6gb Hitachi drive which runs fine, though is slow and IDE. I hope to be able to replace ALL of my drives with SSD's in the near future. I just got a Samsung 850EVO 250gb for the Seagate drive that is dying on my mother's system and the speed of it blows me away! I have a small 40gb Intel X-25 SSD from when I built BO2 and it's still going fine which I use as my primary Win7 boot drive. I don't think I'll ever be able to fully trust a mechanical hard drive again, no matter the manufacturer.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 14:12 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 09:09:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 02:07:
Dude, you gotta get a generator so you can keep us all informed via Twitter. When you go offline, we all get worried.
Even that would not help if the infrastructure is damaged like Puerto Rico.
But a generator could keep a satellite phone charged and since sat phone time is sooooo expensive Riggs would have no choice but to keep his posts succinct.

Edit: this post contains humor.

We actually had a guy down the street bring a generator about three hours before the lights came back on. 'Course we had no way of knowing that at the time, so it was a nice gesture. He just had them sitting in his storage shed, old Army generators from the 'Nam era, no joke! Pullin' that cord to get it started might rip your arm off if you have it set incorrectly, the Army don't fuck around. I keep two phones charged at all times now, plus an iPad.

When the weather pattern changes (ie, when we get our first major cold front), that usually means the end of the storm season for us. It's pretty abrupt, actually. One week you'll have storms every afternoon and it'll be humid and nasty and that cold front comes through and boom! No more afternoon thunderstorms and we're in our dry period. People are kinda shocked when they find out our rainy season is the summer months. They think Florida, it means constant sun. Not so much in the summer.

Anyway, the newest model runs have shifted the track, again, to the west and into Alabama and Louisiana. While I hate to see anyone get nailed, I'd rather not have to go through another week of no power so soon after the last time. We went two weeks in 2004 with Frances and then lost it for a week more when Jean came through a few weeks later. I don't need a repeat of that.

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
Here, hold my beer...

2758 Comments. 138 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo