Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 3181 (Veteran)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.

1. Re: etc. Nov 10, 2019, 15:15 Rigs

Only uh...how many years after being announced?! This thing is almost as old as Star Citizen AND a Star Wars live-action tv show, which, if you discount The Mandalore', are still MIA...

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Kerbal Space Program 2 Delayed

4. Re: Kerbal Space Program 2 Delayed Nov 8, 2019, 15:57 Rigs

So does that mean that KSP2 won't be an Early Access title like the first was? I was under the impression it would be...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2019, 17:54 Rigs

Simon Says wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 14:59:
Ouch... You're not gonna run that 10 years, not even 5. You would've went a lot farther even with a 2nd gen Ryzen 2600. The 6c/6t CFL chips have been maxed out for a year now while there's still plenty of breathing room on the 6c/12t.
Verno wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 15:38:
Yeah I tend to agree with Simon on this one, you will be lucky to get 5 years out of that, some unfortunate hardware picks there with both CPU and GPU. It's unquestionably an upgrade from your old box but it's not going to give you the same longevity. You would've been better off with a 2070S and an AMD 3600 or 3700X. Or if price was a serious constraint, a used 2070 and a marked down 2600 which are both frequently on sale. If you're still in return window I would seriously consider returning those otherwise you're going to regret it in about 2-3 years. Not trying to poop on your new machine party but just save you some grief down the line.

The SSD and memory are fine obviously.

I understand the angle you're coming from but I'm not too worried about it, to be totally honest. I do appreciate the advice and different point of view, though. I can pop in something all the way to an i9-9900k in the future, should I so choose. I did consider going AMD and truth be told, they have a HUGE array of options when it comes to motherboards, any and everything you could possibly want is available. I was tempted. But I made my choice. Again, I'm not too worried. In the future, if AMD does pull ahead and an AMD system seems like the right thing to do, I can always sell this system and build a new one. I already have my eye on Ampere, if nVidia can get the cost down I might just make another upgrade. The fact of the matter is that I have options. I'm happy with what I have now and I can always change it in the future. It's not like I have a 5+ year old system with NO upgrade path whatsoever...

EDIT: I should clarify that I wasn't looking for another 10 year system when I built this one. In fact, I wasn't looking for one when I built the last one, it just turned out that way. I think things will be much more 'fluid' this time around and I'll have more room to adjust based on what comes out in the next couple years.

=-Rigs-=

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2019, 14:05 Rigs

I honestly couldn't wait any longer with my system. Given it's specs and age, it's kind of understandable. I was running a first gen Core i5-750, 20gb of DDR3 on a 1156-based Gigabyte P55M-UD2 (a rather popular board it seems, especially with reviewers and labs), first with an AMD HD4870, then an HD5770/1gb, then a GTX1050ti/4gb and at the end a RTX2060/6gb. This thing was my daily driver for TEN YEARS and I never had a problem that wasn't fixed quite quickly. Of course, in the span of ten years, I lost the ability to change anything in the BIOS other than boot order and time/date, the ethernet port just up and died one day resulting in me getting a Ethernet to USB adapter to take it's place and at the end, when building the new system, the fan/heatsink plastic tabs that secure it to the board snapped from being so brittle. Now if I wanted to run it again, I'd either have to get a new fan/heatsink or run it lying flat else the whole thing would come crashing down.

Now I run a Core i5-9400f, on a Z390-based MSI board, an MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC, which in my research was the best board with the most features for the money. My previous system didn't have WIFI or Bluetooth, this has both out of the box and they work great. (Though the antennas for the WIFI in the back get in the way of the USB ports. Someone really didn't think that through too well *shrugs*). I've also got 16gb of 3200mhz DDR4 and the previously mentioned RTX 2060/6gb. I run Win10 off a 256gb Samsung 860EVO SSD along with two 2tb WD BLUE hard drives and another WD BLUE 256gb SSD. Given that the board only has 4 SATA ports, I finally had to retire my Intel X-25M 40gb SSD, that is also ten years old. It just barely squeezed my backup Win7 install on it with a whole 3gigs left free. This board does have RGB but it's pretty minimal, which is fine with me. The case it's currently in is from the early 2000's, all metal, beige. This will change soon but for now it's fine. I always keep the one side panel off for cool air as besides the CPU fan and the PSU, I have no other case fans.

To say there was a difference in how my system and games ran on this is...woefully understated. I really didn't think there would be much of an improvement, to be honest. I was hoping for one, of course, but I didn't expect one. I mean, the video card was the same and while the RAM was a bit faster from the 1600mhz DDR3 I had, the CPU was about the same speed with two more cores. But OH MY GOD, when I turned it on and booted into Win10 in all of seven seconds, I was floored! (Course, Windows had a bit of an 'adjustment' since I didn't reinstall it and at first it refused to boot but I eventually got it working. Pro tip? Don't EVER, EVER, EVER E V E R hit the option in the MSI BIOS that says FAST BOOT! EVER! This turns off detection of SATA, USB, PS2, Serial and Network ports during boot. Granted having the BIOS skip doing that does, indeed, speed up boot times, but then your system HAS NO FUCKING CLUE WHERE THE BOOT DRIVE IS! Who the FUCK came up with this idea?! It took me almost an hour to get that particular problem fixed. (Yes, I had to reset the BIOS but they don't give you a jumper to short it out, so I just popped the battery out for a minute and it reset) NEVER!

Oh wow, that was much more than I intended to write! So, uh, yeah, TL;DR new systems are great, build a new one before the old one starts getting pension checks. Obvious advice is obvious.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2019, 12:06 Rigs

One final note, the changes include a fix for the problem that would occasionally cause the site to render white. But those of you who are using the "retro black" color scheme will have to delete their "style" cookie for the site to make this work properly.

I've run into this bug many times when using the 'New Blue' too. You know, there might be a better solution though, it's this thing called gradients...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > No Ray Tracing in PC RDR2; Preview Roundup

11. Re: No Ray Tracing in PC RDR2; Preview Roundup Nov 1, 2019, 20:50 Rigs

WaltC wrote on Nov 1, 2019, 16:49:
Cutter wrote on Nov 1, 2019, 16:23:

Same. I'm finding OW pretty bleh TBH. It's ok but I'm sure glad I didn't buy it. I'm pretty amped for RDR2 however.

I'm still trying lasso OW through my xbox game Pass PC three-month subscription--so far, no luck--game will download--but simply stops all activity at 37.12GB downloaded...;) I've tried all of the suggestions I have Bing/Googled--nothing. The problem is with the Game Pass software, definitely.

Is your hard drive full? Maybe it's downloading to the Windows install drive, which typically has less space than the rest. (That's how I've always configured my partitions and drives anyway, Windows10 drive gets a 250gb SSD to itself). I know it's a stupid question, like 'is it plugged in?' but you'd be surprised how many don't realize that something has filled it up without them noticing...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Shadowlands Announced

6. Re: World of Warcraft: Shadowlands Announced Nov 1, 2019, 20:34 Rigs

Regarding the end of the trailer...and since I don't play WoW...

Uh, what just happened?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Diablo IV Announced

16. Re: Diablo IV Announced Nov 1, 2019, 20:22 Rigs

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 1, 2019, 19:18:
Garbitch.

Curious, what would have been your ideal 'Diablo 4' then?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 1, 2019, 20:06 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Nov 1, 2019, 16:45:
seigniorage

I learned a word today! I wonder how many others had to look it up?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Death Stranding Coming to PC

7. Re: Death Stranding Coming to PC Oct 31, 2019, 10:26 Rigs

Xero wrote on Oct 30, 2019, 12:31:
I watched a gameplay video of this yesterday. Kind of just skimmed the video and had no idea wtf I was watching. Was odd for sure. Not really interested in it unless I hear something groundbreaking about it within the reviews.

Well, I know it all involves babies for some reason, even babies in a different dimension! There's inter-dimensional breastfeeding, too! That should be a hoot! Then there's Bel Toro calling babies BeeBees. Babies are essentially the machinery that runs everything now. Why TF? No clue. You can also keep tabs on your bladder level and when you empty it via the trigger buttons, (oh, someone's getting 'triggered' by this shit, believe that!) a flower or plant pops up that you can harvest for....uh, something. Basically you're a part of a cross country delivery service that requires 'BeeBees' to function. Why, how, what, when...who...yeah, I have no idea. I just watched a ten minute gameplay segment a few weeks ago and had more questions than answers...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Epic Sues Fortnite Tester over (Spoiler Alert) Spoilers

13. Re: Epic Sues Fortnite Tester over (Spoiler Alert) Spoilers Oct 27, 2019, 09:33 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 00:48:
I played Pong for the deep lore, and look how I turned out.

I don't know why but that just made me snort out my iced coffee all over my desk...I think it even went up my nose...thanks, jd!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Space Company Simulator Launches Early Access

1. Re: Space Company Simulator Launches Early Access Oct 24, 2019, 20:52 Rigs

Whatever happened to that Take On Helicopters spinoff (heh), Take On Mars? It seemed to be very robust looking in it's early stages with a lot of potential...

EDIT:
Product description claims "No need to wait until the 2030s (or longer)" to explore mars. Based on the lack of updates, support, and all the placeholder content, I do not believe their claim to be true. The game had a ton of potential, but was scrapped and released from early access in an incomplete state and abandoned. RIP

Oh.

You know, it should be that before a developer goes to start a new project, they have to check to see if any other dev has abandoned a previous project with the same theme. And then the new dev would have to finish the previous game first before starting on a new one. Yeah, it's totally unrealistic and a bit stupid but damn...maybe then we'd get some games that actually looked like they could be gems...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Fleet Carrier Update Delayed

10. Re: Elite Dangerous Fleet Carrier Update Delayed Oct 24, 2019, 19:26 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2019, 18:33:
I like your idea of a customizable part on a station or even an entire station you could buy and customize.

While I have no use for Thargoids or fleet carriers, I thought the political stuff was cool.

I see a lot of comments around about ED that state they have tons of disposable credits but nothing to use them on. They've got the best ship they can get or want, all the fixin's and...then what? There's nowhere to go beyond that. I would imagine that's part of the reason for the Fleet Carriers but I say let us have a part of a station (or a whole station, as it were, letting us gather the required supplies and maybe get the 'Engineers' to help you build one in a quest line!) and let us customize it, some just cosmetic and maybe some usable stuff for trade. You could have real missions on the board from real station owners needing this or that. Hire-able protection to keep it all safe, like when you're not online. Geezus, the sky's the limit with something like this! Granted, it would stray from the 'Elite' way as CJ pointed out but c'mon, there needs to be something more to do beyond just getting the best ship or the most credits! Lets do >something< with them! If you want to keep it strictly OG Elite, then give us a lot more ships, some larger some smaller. The original games had over 20 ships to buy and pilot. Give us huge freighters or cruisers/battleships! Let us join the Empire or the Federation like the old games and do missions for them, buying their equipment and ships!

It seems like nowadays developers just want to do the bare minimum required. Where's the passion they had back when they had to squeeze an entire game in 64k?! We have all this kickass tech, we live 'in the future', two months from 20fucking20! And all we get is cookie-cutter crap instead. Argh...so disappointing...

=-Rigs-=

9. Re: Elite Dangerous Fleet Carrier Update Delayed Oct 24, 2019, 19:12 Rigs

Desalus wrote on Oct 24, 2019, 16:52:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 24, 2019, 13:57:
Rigs wrote on Oct 24, 2019, 13:33:
What a bunch of bullshit. There's all of exactly TWO things that the community wants and has wanted since the beginning...

Landing on Earth-like terrestrial planets and walking around on your ship while it's moving (and slightly less, walking around the stations that you dock to

Please speak for yourself. It is hardly "the community" that wants space legs. Many people, myself included, could not care less about walking around doing nothing. That's not what Elite has ever been about. Wrong game. Elite rightfully focuses on the space ship CMDR gameplay. There is A LOT (fucktons upon fucktons of potential) that they could and should add to the space game. "We" do not need another layer in the form of space legs that lacks content and just adds more timesink.

Yeah, I'm also of the opinion that I really don't care about space legs. I'd much more prefer additional content or making the current systems a lot more feature robust. The game was released nearly five years ago and we still have to rely on third party websites to find basic information that should be freely available in-game.

Unfortunately, if rumors are to be believed, space legs are exactly the area of focus for the next paid expansion. I don't really understand what it adds to the game other than one and done eye candy. They better have some substantial content and purpose to go with it.

Whoa, CJ, put the pitch fork away. I said the community has wanted those two things, I didn't say >I< did. As I pointed out with X Rebirth and X4 being, really, a very boring part of those games, I don't see the point either. Not unless, as you said, they have places to go and things to do/see. And, again, as you pointed out, that is the main thing here with Elite. Give us something to do/find/explore/have an adventure with. Yes, setting down on big and small rocks and busting out the ATV for a ride while taking cool photos is good n' all but it gets old after a while when there's nothing to do with it but take pictures. I would imagine that it's taken this long to get walking around into the game because they're taking time putting in things to do. At least, that's my hope. Frontier doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation when it comes to that. (no pun intended)

=-Rigs-=

3. Re: Elite Dangerous Fleet Carrier Update Delayed Oct 24, 2019, 13:33 Rigs

What a bunch of bullshit. There's all of exactly TWO things that the community wants and has wanted since the beginning that Frontier only talks about by proxy with 'sly' innuendos as 'that end of the year update' which will, in itself, probably be delayed to near-oblivion. And those two things are?

Landing on Earth-like terrestrial planets and walking around on your ship while it's moving (and slightly less, walking around the stations that you dock to, though X Rebirth and X4 Foundations has this and has showed how absolutely monotonous it can be)

That's it. Just gives us that and we'll be happy little clams. But no, we have to have some stupid 'Powerplay' meta political crap that no one really pays any attention to, wasn't really thought out in any great detail and is not interesting in any way from a one-man, personal standpoint, since you can't really affect anything going on with just your own actions. (That is, if you can even figure out how any of it actually fucking works to begin with!) Then they hype up the Thargoid presence/war which, aside from a few relatively awesome non-interactive encounters, is a wash, including the utterly dull and dumb 'Engineers' (ie. glorified grind-heavy fetch quests for the sake of being fetch quests) only to follow that up with...Fleet Carriers. WT ever-loving F am I going to do with that?! I don't know if anyone noticed, but there are some of us space truckers that like to ply our trade solo? I don't belong to a clan/squad and I have no interest in having a ship that requires more than one person to use.

I understand that Frontier wants to appeal to the groups out there that co-op or form squads but I personally couldn't care less. I would absolutely >love< if we could have some additions that cater to the lone rider, like a purchasable station or spot on a station that we could customize to our liking, something to come back to during the times we don't feel like making yet another run. Maybe something Fallout4-ish would be fine. It doesn't have to go full SIMS. Or maybe the ability, in conjunction with the Powerplay mechanic, be able to start our own companies in-universe, maybe with the ability to hire real or AI-based NPC's as employees. Maybe with the ability to have a storefront or offices in a station. I dunno, something to give it some life outside the ship! Or if they got Earth-like landing in, we could purchase land on planets to set up buildings or stores? Something that NMS and Star Citizen are doing or planning to do.

So much could be done. Yet, for months and months of time, we get barely any work accomplished. I mean, do they just work 4 hours, 3 days out of the week?! Even RSi is making them look bad!

=-Rigs-=

5. Re: US military will no longer use floppy disks to coordinate nuke launches Oct 19, 2019, 10:52 Rigs

A couple weeks ago I mentioned that I worked at a client site, a large metal factory, that didn't have anything newer than WinXP on site and that was just on one laptop, which was the only thing connected to the outside world...

Rigs wrote on Sep 25, 2019, 14:24:
It's an industrial plant and all their equipment runs NT on the servers and a shell on DOS on the terminals. They have the entrenched mentality that if it isn't broke, it doesn't need fixing. They did a replacement feasibility study in 2013 and it was deemed that with the spare parts they somewhat brilliantly anticipated way back, they could keep going for at least another decade, everything else being equal. Luckily, there's only one outside connection, which goes to a laptop running WinXP...so, progress?

I mean, I can see it from their point of view. If it runs fine for what they need to do, why change anything? They figure if they keep most everything old-school, they won't have to worry about ransomware or being hacked. And, yeah, to a point, that's true. Still, they need certain metrics required for both health and safety regulation and from the home office. Corporate wants to know every little thing that happens there, what goes out, what comes in. And the only way to do that efficiently is to upgrade. Right now they either don't do what's requested (some departments get away with it because their supervisors have been there for decades and can basically tell corporate to shove it) or they record everything manually - ie. with a notebook and a pen/pencil. About the only thing they've relented on is in regards to employee clock in and out. It's still an old, isolated system, not connected to anything else but they now have employees clock in with a card and then clock out otherwise they don't get paid for the work they did. Simple as that. Amazing how fast they adopted that policy when it was their paychecks on the line, eh?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Gone Gold - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

16. Re: Gone Gold - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Oct 19, 2019, 09:51 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 02:08:
Looks very good! I liked the Star Wars Battlefront 2's story, even though it was stupid short with the extended campaign. I am looking forward to playing a hopefully much longer game. I am good with a 30-50 hour long single-player experience. However, given this is EA, going to wait on the reviews.

Oh, hell, I wouldn't think there was more than 22-25 hours worth of shit to do in this thing. Unless they pad it out with some kind of grind, the story itself is probably pretty bare bones. This isn't an RPG we're talking about. And what's with the Disney's infatuation with little droids? They had the one that clipped to your back in BF2 and then they have the new tiny droid in the upcoming movie that's smaller even than BB-8 and now this thing on his back?! Talk about being 'Disney-fied' indeed!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Post-Release Plans

6. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Post-Release Plans Oct 18, 2019, 19:48 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 17:12:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 16:44:
Y'all should be boycotting all ActiBlizz products at this point anyi.

^^
This. Supporting Actiblizz means you're anti-democratic.

So you have nothing in your house that has a stamp on the back that says, 'Made In China'?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Post-Release Plans

1. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Post-Release Plans Oct 18, 2019, 13:54 Rigs

I've been putzing around in COD:MW Remastered lately and while it's about how I remembered it, I realized that it is extremely >cheap< in ways to get you killed.

I'm not very crazy about CoD's way of handling missions to begin with, I rather prefer the way Medal Of Honor used to do it with you as a one man army. It just feels like with other friendly NPC's about, they tend to get in the way or steal kills, not to mention pressure you to keep going at a breakneck pace without stopping to enjoy the fight. It's all about getting to the end of the mission and on to the next cutscene.

Anyway, I've noticed that especially in the beginning levels when everything is balls-to-the-wall crazy, with shit happening all around you constantly that you can't focus on any one thing (something else I don't care for), you tend to get hit by a sniper or grenade that you didn't see because of all the shit going on. The firefight in the third mission after you grab Nikolai, where you're trying to get the big bad in the Middle East, is just a cluster of people shooting from all over! You have no clue where you're getting hit from! Then they'll play crude tricks like having a room on the left as you go around the corner to the right and there's like 2 or 3 bad guys in that room on the left that shoot you in the back just as soon as you round the corner. Or guys coming down from roof tops while you're mowing down a never-ending horde of brown people on the ground in a tight alley.

While it may be 'realistic', it certainly isn't 'fun' IMO. And given what I've seen of this new MW, it hasn't changed any. People move way too fast and you have to have the reflexes of Superman to get the drop on your opponent, real or cpu. I'm never going to be a no-scope GOD, so stop trying to push me in that direction! And get the hell off my lawn while you're at it!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Truck Driver Stalled

1. Re: Truck Driver Stalled Oct 18, 2019, 13:37 Rigs

Wait, wait, wait...they just now implemented steering wheel support?! They weren't originally going to have steering wheel support...in a 'realistic' trucking game?!? How in the hell...?!?

=-Rigs-=

3181 Comments. 160 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >