Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 3038 (Veteran)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2018, 19:45 Rigs

You got a taste, Blue, of what we get nearly everyday from May until late-October here in FL-land. Usually that's how our storms announce their presence. You'll be sitting intently on the computer or on the phone and all of a sudden, out of nowhere - *CCRRRRAAAAAACK!..BOOOOM!!!*, which then shakes the house as you bolt up from your chair in shock. Many, many afternoons like that down here. And, yes, they do hit one last time and then nothing here as well. A lot of times, the storm will be nearly gone, with very low rumbles and then one really close BOOM! and then nothing. This is why when I see the clouds start to turn gray and dark I go inside because that first bolt can come from and hit anywhere with no warning whatsoever.. 'Course, I've also been hit (indirectly) once too and I have no intention of repeating that again...

1badmf wrote on Jul 15, 2018, 17:49:
nothing beats an F-14 tomcat for sheer badassery in flight.

I've always been partial to the French Mirage, myself. It always seemed to be the go-to bad guy plane in all those 80's action flicks, like Iron Eagle. The A-10's pretty cool and tough as nails. Always reminded me of a modern IL-2 Sturmovik...

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Refund Refusals
14. Re: Star Citizen Refund Refusals Jul 15, 2018, 15:38 Rigs

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 15, 2018, 14:29:
Vague dates like "coming soon" or "shipping soon" to lure pre-orders is outlawed in Germany, after a Munich Regional High Court ruling, in which a litigant took reseller MediaMarkt to court over excessive delivery delays. For any retailer to sell a pre-order for a commodity or a digital software license (i.e. take payment before product launch date), the reseller must specify the exact date of on which the product will be delivered. In other words, the onus is on the reseller to specify when a buyer will have the product or digital license in their possession, before making the sale, and ensure that the product reaches the consumer on or before the specified date.

Resellers that are unable to specify a delivery date would be breaking the law by soliciting pre-orders. The new ruling bolsters Germany's consumer rights laws, which are among the strictest in the world. German consumers are already within their rights to return a product they don't like for no reason, within a finite amount of time after the sale. If a retailer delivers later than the specified delivery date, the consumer can refuse the product and become eligible for a full refund. Perhaps the biggest impact of this ruling will fall on the real-estate industry. Real-estate developers taking payments from home-buyers before the completion of the development (i.e. transfer of possession) of a property, must be ready to cough up a full-refund (adjusted by inflation), if the buyer doesn't get possession on the agreed delivery date.

I remember way WAY back in the mid-90's when a game was thought to be in the works, like a sequel, the mail-order house Chips&Bits would have a listing for it. Even if wasn't even officially announced, it'd be in the listings and you could order it! I remember Planet 10 by Bethseda being in there for a time (old space combat sim they never finished), games like Doom 2 when Doom had just come out, Street Fighter 3 when Street Fighter 2 had just come to PC (and was awful), Nascar Racing 2 when NR1 had just come out, things like that. They would get lucky most times because the sequel was a no brainer but once in a while, people would pay and wait a LONG time, if ever, like with Daikatana and 7th Guest or Harvester. Retailers still do this now, of course, the biggest one I noticed recently was HALO: Infinite being available to order and we only have an ENGINE TRAILER for the damn thing! I would love for a law to come out that bans pre-orders like that. But don't expect something like that in the heart of Capitalism!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Overwatch Toxicity Waning
17. Re: Overwatch Toxicity Waning Jul 15, 2018, 13:18 Rigs

It's a good thing I don't play multi games, I'd probably be yelled at constantly because I absolutely suck at it. It's strange because I do ok in single-player but when it comes to multi, I might get one kill for 20 deaths. I played Warthunder with a friend (who was across the country) and I forgot how to do team chat vs global, so I was talking to HIM in global and he was talking to ME in team and everyone was yelling at me to go over to team chat because it was a one-sided convo and they didn't know who I was talking to. I didn't care. I just told them to fuck off and kept going...

=-Rigs-=

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2018, 20:08 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Jul 14, 2018, 16:10:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 14, 2018, 15:24:
The inconvenient truth about cancer and mobile phones
But it ain't ionizing radiation my ass.
When Lai recategorised the studies according to their funding sources, a different picture emerged: 67% of the independently funded studies found a biological effect, while a mere 28% of the industry-funded studies did.

Industry funded studies found less risk?

Here is my shocked face.

'Industry Funded Studies' shouldn't be a 'thing' at all. Ever. I don't care how an All-American-apple-pie-in-a-Ford-truck-pulling-a-Studebaker full of good intentions kind of company you are. Hell, I'd go as far as to say the entire U.S. health care system should be NON-PROFIT!

Somewhat off-topic - I've always wondered how different this country would be if it's health care system had always been non-profit and it's educational system was for-profit and commercialized? Basically a role reversal. Would we be better off if being a high school teacher commanded six figure salaries instead of surgeons?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Beta Next Month
3. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Beta Next Month Jul 14, 2018, 15:27 Rigs

Both Advanced Warfare and Infinite Warfare were dead online on PC within six months. I kept an eye on them because I was interested in the single player campaigns but all I kept seeing in the reviews was that the multi was garbage, not to mention the games as a whole were bug ridden with several crashing issues inherent in both that were apparent on the console versions. It's pretty much a proven fact these days that if multiplayer is a thing for you (I couldn't personally care less about it), the console versions are the way to go, always. I dunno why that's the case when it comes to most FPS's that are console-centric? Even HALO was the same way, the console always got the best of it, the PC got the shit that was left over, if anything. I mean, are these companies afraid of money?! Make a decent MP experience on PC and you'll have some success, if not a hit. Why not put the effort in?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5
9. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 13:27 Rigs

I don't know exactly why, but whenever I see anything about Fortnite, I think they're talking about the next Everquest version that was being worked on. Wasn't it cancelled? Beats me why I keep getting them mixed up. Maybe because I don't play either. BR has never had any kind of appeal to me whatsoever. Then again, most multiplayer games don't appeal to me, unless they have a major PVE component or a single-player half. Guess I'm in a shrinking minority... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Defiance 2050 Launches
5. Re: Defiance 2050 Launches Jul 11, 2018, 10:32 Rigs

It looks like a really cheap Destiny ripoff. So, instead of every MMORPG trying to rip on WOW, now they're going for Destiny. Wonderful. Just what everyone wanted.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition Re-leased
16. Re: Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition Re-leased Jul 4, 2018, 15:09 Rigs

Was really excited to see a remaster of this and that it was free for previous owners, I enthusiastically opened STEAM to install and realized that, no, I don't have Guerrilla on STEAM, I have Armageddon. I have Guerrilla on DVD...aww dammit...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Oculus Rift Minimum Specs Raised
10. Re: Oculus Rift Minimum Specs Raised Jun 29, 2018, 00:41 Rigs

I picked up a Rift a couple weeks ago and I had a heck of a time getting it to work on my backup system - a Tri-Core FM1-based AMD A6 (yes, it's old-ish tech but the parts themselves are only about three years old) and the Oculus app/drivers outright refused to install because of a negative SSE 4.2 check. Like, really?! Apparently, this check was just put in within the last year or so as older versions of the software didn't have it, especially during the DK2 days. So, I brought it over to my main system, which had Win7x64 and a Core i5-750 (1st gen, obviously), 12gb of DDR3 and a 1050ti/4gb and it installed just fine. The problem this time was that my system has no USB 3 ports whatsoever (it's 8 years old), so I had to grab a PCIEx1 card with two ports...that only work in Windows10. FFFFFF.... Steamingmad

In truth, I needed to reinstall Windows anyway, so in went Win10x64. Now keep in mind that I did get the Rift working under Win7 but the tracking on the touch controllers was...rough thru USB 2.0. It's playable, by all means but it's not silky smooth responsive. I also noticed that a lot of the games that are available on the Oculus Store are Win10 exclusive, like Minecraft. I'm sure there're ways around it but I haven't ventured into the 'modding'/DIY scene yet. Also wanted to note that my 1050ti was perfectly capable of handling most of the games in Win7 that I tried. Were they 90fps? Most likely no. But it didn't bother me much to be honest. I did have to take breaks a lot more frequently than when I'm just playing on a monitor. On top of that, Oculus plasters a big banner along the top of the store/Home that my system isn't 'up to specs'. Yeah, thanks guys, as if I didn't know that already. And even if I 'X' out of it, it still pops up every time I log in. Like trying to ram home the concept of getting a better vid card you cheap-ass bastard!

Once Win10x64 was in, I reinstalled the Oculus stuff (all 5gb of it, again! That's three times now!) and running it the first time brought up another issue that I'm still dealing with...the USB 3 ports on the PCIE card. (Oh, and that banner was, of course, still there welcoming me back like the low-end peasant that I am) Seems if I plugged in both of my sensors, I ran out of 'USB resources' and only one would work. This seems to be a thing and has to do with how many USB controllers you have and how many endpoints you have. This article explains it in much more detail. Since I apparently have only one or two controllers, I was running out of 'threads' and thus I didn't have enough for both sensors. So one had to be on a USB 2 port along with the headset. I would say it's because my system is so old but apparently this happens with newer systems as well, especially laptops. But just having one on a USB3 port was surprisingly good enough and the RIFT has been running very well since. The only other issue I ran into was motion sickness and that's something I never thought I'd have to deal with! I typically have a really strong sense of balance and stomach but I played the BBC space station game and there's a part of it similar to a part in the movie 'Gravity' when you become untethered to the space station and you're cartwheeling around in space, end over end and I got about, say, two mins maybe before I thought I was going to throw up. I had to quit and actually go lay down after that, the feeling was overwhelming. Like dizzy, headache, nausea and sweating all at the same time, not what I call 'fun'. 'MInecraft' had a similar feeling if I played it like a normal game without jumping from place to place like is normal. And I always thought that if I got a VR set, I'd be able to handle all that shit that everyone else says makes them sick. I was very very wrong.

Overall, though, I've had a lot of fun with it over the last three weeks or so I've had it and when I have it on, I definitely tend to forget the outside world for a little bit. It's a big investment but I think it's worth it. I haven't tried Elite or iRacing yet but they're on my list. Don't get discouraged about the system requirements. As long as your system supports SSE 4.2 (for some reason that developers don't even seem to know why) and you have a vid card with at least 3 or 4 gb of RAM on board, you should be ok. Don't expect miracles but at least you'll be able to experience it.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 23, 2018, 18:11 Rigs

Umbral wrote on Jun 23, 2018, 09:16:
I really really hate Tweaktown.

Yeah, I used to go to TT quite a bit a few years ago but since then it seems to have gone downhill. They don't post content nearly as much as they used to, especially reviews, and their Youtube channel hasn't been updated in like six years. I can say, though, that I'd prefer to go to TT any day of the week as opposed to TechCrunch. TC's site is straight up Internet cancer. Whoever designed it should be shot.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 23, 2018, 14:09 Rigs

What, nothing about 'TanaCon' being DashCon 2.0? What a joke. Something tells me ol' eDupes had something to do with the chaos. Does anyone know where he was during this whole disaster charade? Btw, the comment section on that story is a garbage fire, much like the Con it talks about. I'm sure there'll be about 100 different 'cringe vids' on YT about it within the next week or so...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 22, 2018, 19:07 Rigs

'The first online game to focus attention on the storage system was Battlefield 3. When released no one had heard of a SSD'

You're on crack, son. I built my current system (Black Omega 2) in the first half of 2010, and I was keen on getting an SSD for my Windows install. Ultimately, I settled on an anemic Intel X-25 40gb because of the low $110 cost. This became a problem later on with the explosion of game install sizes and downloads but at the time it was ok for a Windows XP or '7' install. And that wasn't the first system I used it for! In the beginning I built a Core2Duo-based system a year before (the original Black Omega) but realized that the Core i-series had just made my brand new system obsolete. So I sold it to my cousin, threw a regular 500gb mechanical hard drive in since he wasn't much of a gamer and took the SSD with me to the new system. So, no, SSD's were not 'unheard of', though they do mention my SSD by name later on...

Products like the Crucial C300, the first SATA III SSD, and the Intel X25-M were iconic in there day...

Anyway, I had gotten a lightning fast Samsung 860EVO 250gb for my Mom's new system when I found her older 500gb Seagate drive was failing and coming up with reallocated and unrecoverable sectors (a sure sign of an impending apocalypse). She needed a Windows10 x64 install anyway and man, what a treat that thing is! So damn fast! I can't wait until SSD prices get to where a 2-4tb drive is affordable enough and we can phase out mechanical drives altogether (for the most part...though I still drool at the sight of a 10tb drive!). I just today grabbed a WD Blue 250gb SSD to put a new Win10 install on for my system, as the Win7 install was long overdue for a refresh. It's not AS peppy as the Samsung but it's still much better than a regular HD, hands down... Nod

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > It Came from E3 2018, Part 9
7. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 9 Jun 16, 2018, 21:12 Rigs

Christ, CJ, how do you even get out of bed in the morning with such a hopeless worldview? (That's not a knock, I'm genuinely curious) Inquisitive

Anyway, I'm most looking forward to HALO Infinity Gauntlet, followed by Dying Lighter Fluid 2, FORZA Horoscope 4, DOOM Existential: Crisis, Fallout Shelter 76 (now with more concrete!), and The Elderly Scrabble 6 (an Oceans 8 prequel)...oh, and RAGE (Against The Machinery) 2: Moar Ragey. Cybercub 2049er probably won't be out before Star Citizen is cancelled so I'll withhold excitement until next year's E3 when they show something of substance (same for TES6). I still really would have preferred to hear something about RDR2 on PC or even just a tiny hint about GTA6. Anything...just the tip, I don care! Just give me something!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > It Came from E3 2018, Part 5
18. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 5 Jun 15, 2018, 23:10 Rigs

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 15, 2018, 07:47:
Not sure how much of a reader you are but if you like the concept of ringworlds you should give Larry Niven's series a read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringworld_series

Hmmm, I remember the games that came out in the 90's based on the book. They were point and click adventure games I believe, yes? Skimming over the Wikipedia page about the first book, I see that this Ringworld is magnitude times larger than a HALO. A HALO only has a diameter of 10,000 kilometers. This Ringworld is millions, about the size of the Earth's orbit around the Sun, 1 AU. Now with something that large, I could see how local weather could come about. While still a ring, it's larger than hundreds of Earths, just flattened out. (So just like Earth then, according to the Flat Earther's ) On a HALO, it's size doesn't really allow for something like a cyclone and yet, there's some evidence that these do occur on a HALO. Now on something like the Lesser Ark, this can be explained better because it's much larger, much like a Ringworld.

Still, it certainly gets the mind going into creative overdrive! Thanks for the heads up!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Space Invaders Extreme Demo
7. Re: Space Invaders Extreme Demo Jun 15, 2018, 22:59 Rigs

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 15, 2018, 18:51:
Hoop wrote on Jun 15, 2018, 14:19:
Either way how do you replicate the pressure of five smelly peers looking over your shoulder ready to crown you king or cut you down with sneers, *click* another twenty cent piece pushes along the glass.
Shit.

Holy shit, does that bring back memories!

Although in the US it was 25 cent pieces, quarters.

Also from that same time period, jackasses losing in Street fighter or other fighting games would bump into you constantly with their shoulder, etc.

Having moved down to FL in '93, a friend from the old country (Jersey) came down to see me and when taking him back to his parents summer home on the East Coast, my parents stopped for lunch in a rather quiet mall which had an equally quiet (ie dead) arcade. My friend and I were the only ones there. He was a Street Fighter 2 fanboi, that's all I heard out of him...well, until he found Final Fantasy 6 (3? 4? I don fuckin' know! The last one to come out on the SNES) and then later on, Diablo. I, however, really couldn't care less about SF2. But then my gaze settled on something that blew me away, something I felt heralded the future of gaming - Virtua Fighter! About $15 in quarters, 25 minutes and a very stiff and aching wrist later, my parents had to drag me out of there. Then it was I who couldn't shut up about a fighting game. And it was my friend who couldn't care less.

Good times...good times... Nod

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > It Came from E3 2018, Part 5
15. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 5 Jun 14, 2018, 22:50 Rigs

I'm seriously hyperventilating over HALO Infinite. It'll probably be nothing what I imagine it is but for now I'm really looking forward to it. Ever since HALO was originally announced way way back when it was a MAC RTS then 3rd person then FPS, my mind has just gone nuts with the concept of a ringworld. I can sit for a long time and ponder just the weather dynamics of it. Like how does that even work? There's no moon, it's not a sphere, so there would be no tides and there shouldn't be waves on the oceans yet we've seen waves on every large water biome on a HALO. Clouds, weather systems, a jet stream - cyclones?! HOW? Just that one little bit hasn't even had it's surface scratched in 15 years, both in-game nor the extended lore. And it looks like this time, we might just get some kind of explanation for some of it. It also looks like it'll be open world, a dream come true if it happens, at least for me. And based on the fact we see Master Chief's original armor style come back, I'm betting here and now that it has either time travel and/or flashbacks involved OR it's a prequel. There's a new book coming out (name escapes me ATM) that is going to explore MC's early campaign against the Covenant, long before the Fall of Reach. I think this is a clue or a sign that we're going back to that time period. Which is fine by me. The one glaring flaw in the 'prequel' hypothesis is that the HALO's hadn't been found yet, so MC wouldn't be on one with UNSC soldiers.

Another rumor making the rounds is that Cortana (Evelll Cortana, that is) will be the head of the newly reformed Covenant. That may sound crazy but not when you think about it. She called out to the Covenant races during the end of HALO5 and we know for sure the Unggoy joined right away. And now that she commands the Prometheans and has access to the Domain, all Forerunner constructs, she is more or less a Forerunner, which is what the ol' Covvies used to worship. Makes more sense.

Anyway, enough rambling. I'm also looking forward to Dying Light 2 (not really crazy about the 'Long after the fall of society'-look, I prefer the look of the first one but any new Dying Light is good in my book). Cyberpunk looks better and better and now that they said it's going to be an FPS, I'm even more interested. I still need to finish TW3, though. Fallout76 looks alright, not too keen on it being multiplayer. It just reminds me I haven't finished Fallout4 yet, either. Was really hoping *Rockstar would make some kind of GTA6 announcement or tease but I guess they're too busy hunting down rubberbands for all the money they're piling up.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Citizen's $27,000 Bundle?
34. Re: Star Citizen's $27,000 Bundle? May 28, 2018, 19:03 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on May 28, 2018, 15:41:
Rigs wrote on May 28, 2018, 15:09:
afka Rossini wrote on May 28, 2018, 14:53:
That's a lot of hookers and blow.

Hmm, they've had enough time to get arrested, get released, go to rehab, have two relapses, an intervention, another relapse, an overdose, a breakdown, and find Christ...any longer and they'll be running for political office...

Wait, are you suggesting...

CHRIS ROBERTS FOR PRESIDENT?

I mean, seriously, could he be any worse?! And, hell, if we get a sovereign nation's budget behind SC, it might just get done before he gets himself impeached for gross negligence...

News Comments > Star Citizen's $27,000 Bundle?
20. Re: Star Citizen's $27,000 Bundle? May 28, 2018, 15:09 Rigs

afka Rossini wrote on May 28, 2018, 14:53:
That's a lot of hookers and blow.

Hmm, they've had enough time to get arrested, get released, go to rehab, have two relapses, an intervention, another relapse, an overdose, a breakdown, and find Christ...any longer and they'll be running for political office...

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2018, 12:04 Rigs

Thank you, Quboid.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2018, 11:37 Rigs

Thank you again, Cutter, Blue, jd, Creston, Half Elf, Hoop, Beamer, sauron, WarPig and Mr. Tact for all your reassuring words and support. I'm very grateful. It honestly helped to put my mind more at ease enough to get some much needed sleep last night and this morning, which I so desperately needed. You guys are awesome...  

3038 Comments. 152 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo