Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. Currently, lurking and keeping my mouth shut.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2683 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Prey Trial Version Released
9. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 16, 2017, 21:31 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 16, 2017, 18:40:
Nothing beats a free trial, smart move.
At least this game is not even remotely similar to the disaster that was the original Prey. hallelujah and pass the vital wheat gluten.

The hell you talking about? The original Prey wasn't a disaster. Whether it sold as well as the other similar-engined games such as Doom3 and Quake4 is another matter, but it didn't review badly and was a solid, unique game. It was a trailblazer and most trailblazers aren't super successful in and of themselves. And don't go posting any Metacritic bullshit, either. The kids reviewing games these days don't know their ass from a hole in the ground...and get TF off my lawn!

EDIT: Unless you're talking about the never-released 1996-7 Prey and it's development?

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 16, 2017, 17:42 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 16, 2017, 15:51:
Rigs wrote on Aug 15, 2017, 15:27:

=-Rigs-=
Simple, upgrade your plan.

Oh, sure, why didn't I just think of that? Genius!

My provider, Dishnet, has no other plans than what I'm on. Do you honesty think I'd complain about it this much (this is like the sixth post I've made about it) if there was any other way I could fix it?

And you say my posts are irrelevant?

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

News Comments > Destiny 2 Trailer
13. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 16, 2017, 17:28 Rigs

Hump wrote on Aug 16, 2017, 14:34:
wait......whaaat? Where does "Blizzard" come into this?

Bungie is using Battle.net for Destiny 2's server network and matchmaking...

=-Rigs-=

3. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 15, 2017, 15:27 Rigs

DrSquick wrote on Aug 15, 2017, 10:49:
Creston wrote on Aug 15, 2017, 10:05:
And their standard 20GB data cap, most likely.

Fuck Ajit Pai for pretending that satellite internet is acceptable in 2017.

If it wasn't for the data cap, it would be a great option as a backup Internet for rural sites, or the only highspeed option for very remote sites. I've had quite a few clients with manufacturing plants in the middle of BFE where I can only get bundled T1s for primary Internet, and no second option. So I'd love to do satellite or 4G as a backup, but both have such restrictive caps that unless it is a mission critical system (which wouldn't be in BFE in the first place), it's more affordable to let the plant go down if the T1s fail.

THIS ^! Preach, brother, preach! I'm on satellite, I have no other option here in rural north central FL. I thought Time Warners red-headed stepchild, BrightHouse (now Spectrum), was bad but oh no. No, no, no. Thing is I had satellite way back in 2008 and it wasn't bad! It was slow at times and the latency was through the roof but since I don't play multi much, that wasn't a problem. 6m down and 2m up was respectable and NO CAP! None. Zilch. Zero. Now? 10gb FOR THE MONTH during the day and 50gb FOR THE MONTH 2am - 8am. 25m down, 5m up and I've never seen anywhere near either one. When it rains (it's thundering now...because FL in the summer), better get a book. The speed and rain interruptions I could live with, I'm in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, I get it. But the cap? No. The cap is unnecessary and brutal. In an age of streaming...everything, you can't so much as watch a Youtube video over 480p or else watch your cap go into freefall right in front of you. Typically I'm throttled to 128k for 90% of the month, my 10gb's are gone in six days. Then it's 144p Youtube unless I stay up until 2am or get up before 8am. Ridiculous.
Oh, btw, this is all for $60/month, too.

WE DON'T NEED 100MBPS, WE NEED NO CAP!

Assholes.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > AMD Radeon RX Vegas Launch
28. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 14, 2017, 20:58 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 19:03:
The water gets muddied fast when you start comparing a 7 year old 100+ watt gpu with current gen 75 watt video cards.

Movingalong

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > AMD Radeon RX Vegas Launch
25. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 14, 2017, 18:37 Rigs

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 16:30:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 14:20:
Do people have any opinions on multifan cooler designs vs. single fan blowers? I prefer multiple fans myself.

Multiple fans. While at first thought it seems to go against logic, they are quieter if implemented correctly. Those single fan blowers have to ramp up to super high speeds to cool cards, and mostly require the fan to always be on. Multi-fan designs can spin at a slower speed (because of the increased cooling area where fans meet metal/copper heatsinks, and when the heatspreader is large enough that it requires multiple fans, they can do other cool stuff, like turning the fans off completely at idle. The fans on my GTX 980ti (MSI gaming 6g) turn off under a certain temp (like 50c or so) and the card passively cools itself to around 35c when idle. When the fans spin up it's hard to hear them unless they're at full power also, because they don't have to be hitting massive RPM's when there are multiple fans of decent quality on the GPU.

Multi-fan all the way.

My system started with a blower-style HD5770 and that was always running at at least 20% but got up to 50%-70% during gaming and I could always hear it. I have a smaller case, an old Acer case I had lying around I threw everything into (with barely any room to spare!). Even the fan-style XFX Core HD7850 (only one fan) had the exact same acoustics as the blower 5770! But when I just recently switched to a fan-style (2 fans) 1050ti, I can't hear it AT ALL! In fact, when I installed it and turned it on the first few times, I had to look at it just to make sure I hadn't gotten a defective unit. I couldn't believe the difference. Even under load, it makes almost no noise whatsoever.

Multiple-fan-style all the way, seconded!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Aug 13, 2017, 21:27 Rigs

Why even bother? This lame attempt at making things look legit just shows how they're a sham that much more. Between taking away Net Neutrality and now telling us that civilians don't need home internet that's any faster than mobile broadband (so that most of the telephone and cable companies on the hook for building out said lines can pack it all up and say, 'Yup, all done! You've got what we said we'd do (and not a megabit more!)'), it's obvious even to a fucking two year old that Ajit is only interested in making his puppet masters happy and to hell with making the U.S. great in anything again (especially broadband infrastructure and speed)! Whatever happened to doing it just out of pride for one's country? Out of the ambition to do it just to show all the other countries on the planet that it can be done? The only thing we're showing the rest of the world is how close we can get to a dictatorship without actually being declared one...

Something tells me that the Founding Fathers would all spit in disgust and then head to Canada if they saw what the U.S. has become today...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 12, 2017, 22:35 Rigs

SlimRam wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 02:47:
Cliff: "We're going to continue to raise awareness, continue to support the product - if you look at the phenomenon that was League of Legends, it built off a Warcraft 3 mod then slowly but surely blossomed into this immense amazing thing, and I'd rather be the game that comes up and has that hockey stick ramp with a slow burn and builds up rather than the triple-A hype machine where you have a bazillion people playing it month one and it goes down exponentially then they follow up with an annual product."

It's cute how he believes his game is going to be relevant.

Depends on your mood, I guess, mate. I think it's fucking sad. He totally overestimated the potential of his game and I'm like 95% sure he'll be in denial about it for the next year or so. Then he'll come around and write a post-mortem in two to three years time saying how 'he was hopeful but misjudged the market and now he's gonna listen to what the community wants (because they always fuckin' know what they want before they get it, right?) and work on a follow up...OR he'll drop the idea and look at planning for the 'Next Big Thing''. All of it has happened before and it'll happen again.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch Plans
9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2017, 12:32 Rigs

Wow, a lot of peeps here chiming in that don't have any idea what's going on...but have a topical comment about it nonetheless. Let's get one thing straight and out...

The game wasn't what was promised at launch.

Ok, we done now? While Murray has some fault to be responsible for, I find that Sony has much, much more to answer for than they have regarding it's launch and it's marketing. Keep in mind they were the ones behind the whole marketing campaign, what information was released and how. I'm not saying what they (Hello Games and Murray) did was right and they shouldn't share fault (and if you come back and say I did, I'll call you on it...mercilessly) but I think 'the end of the world' is a little much. It's been a year, can we let it go now?

Anyway, I've been part of the 'Waking Titan' ARG and it's been...interesting. While portals (that were supposed to be in the game originally, they have been trying to introduce features that were wanted and promised originally since launch) are cool n' all, I'm much more curious about what else is going to be a part of the update and that's something we haven't been told yet. I'm hoping for the 'Faction System' to pop up here any time from them, another feature that was promised. They mentioned it a few months back so we (as in the NMS community) know it was being worked on. They also introduced Level 4 Atlas Passes, like for real. They're sending them out to 10,000 people in the mail and I'm really hoping I got one! They're swagilicious!

I think NMS has come a long way since launch and while it does have some bit further to go, HG haven't given up on it at all and continue to try to fix what everyone perceives as broke. There's plenty to do in the game and hopefully this story addition will give people a genuine reason to complete the game now. As a 'chill experience' it's still up there with X and E:D, IMO. You can build bases now and the trading and mining is still pretty good. Along with that there's upteen thousands of mods available. You could definitely find something to keep you busy for a night or three.

Put your hate and pitchforks back in the shed and let yourself have some fun!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2017, 10:58 Rigs

Damn, Gunnar-man, get your shit together! Think of all the legions of squirrels you can bark at...all. day. long....

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up
14. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 6, 2017, 21:14 Rigs

Jerykk wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 21:08:
At this point, they should just sell all their IPs to Devolver Digital or something. We might actually see a good Duke Nukem game if they did that.

*Overloads into steaming, drooling heap on floor imaging a remaster of the side-scrolling Duke's in the BroForce engine* Drool

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Grimoire - Heralds of the Winged Exemplar Takes Flight
25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2017, 01:12 Rigs

I got myself banned by ol' Cleve about two weeks ago from the STEAM forums for 'being an 'unstable element''. I didn't know anything about Grimoire until I saw a posting about it on a Retro news site right after it missed it's first release date in July. I then did a little digging and found that the game had been 'finished' multiple times before that and never came out. All the way back in 2003 it was supposedly 'almost done'. Then he had an Indie GoGo campaign for it a while back. Many 'regulars' had chimed in after it's missed July release that ol' Cleve had been a regular fixture on the RPGCodex boards and that most of them were sure the game would never see the light of day, if there was a game at all.

Apparently, the game had started at Sir-Tech back in 1997~ish and when Sir-Tech went under (or he left/got fired, I can't find definitive info on which), he released a 'Super Demo' and said he was finishing it himself. But aside from the demo, which was purported to have 20-40 hours of game time in it and is still available, no new screens or videos came out...for a long time. So this whole time, ol' Cleve is saying it's 'almost done' and would be released 'soon', only for years to pass and he posted nothing concrete like a video walkthrough to show his progress. You just had to go on his word...which wasn't exactly trustworthy.

So, by the time July 2017 rolls along and he's saying it's done, everyone that was familiar with it just rolled their eyes in a collective sigh. No one thought this was any different from the last 10-15 years. His odd behavior and nonsensical posting about...nothing, especially when it came to the game, didn't help. He would post like it was the middle of a much longer, more explained post but he just cut a paragraph or two out of the middle and posted that instead. It was strange, and off-putting. When it was posted it would be $40, most everyone laughed. They already knew he was crazy but this just cemented his break with reality. Who the hell was going to pay $40 for DOS-era graphics, mechanics and UI in a game? ANY game?! Even if it was GTA6 or HALO6 or the latest Bioware RPG epic, if it looked and played like a 1996-circa DOS game, no one was going to touch it except the hardcore. Some people don't care about graphics and UI as long as the game is good, and to an extent, I'm one of them, but the price has to match too. 600 hours of possible gameplay or not, $40 is just not a sane price point for something like this. The hardcore multi-party RPG playerbase is pretty niche and small to begin with, you're not going to win over the filthy casuals and their wallets like that, gameplay be damned...

Anyway, after posting my opinion on the forum a few times (not nastily, I might add), I found I'd been permanently banned from them within a week and a half of joining them. I was half-tempted to email Jim (Fucking) Sterling (Son) but I just said the hell with it and carried on doing something productive instead. When Aug. 1st came around (the second release date), I checked in to see if he'd actually been truthful this time about it being 'done' and yet another excuse was posted to the forum, this time blaming it one STEAM, of course. I chuckled and went about my business. Imagine my utter shock when I saw it listed on TPB earlier today! Not because it was on TPB, but because it was out at all! Thankfully, I don't have to carry out my end of the deal I made with the 'beclevers' if he actually released on Aug. 1st...I said I'd eat my underwear. Live. On Twitch. Thank God for perfectionists!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2017, 12:43 Rigs

Wanted to let those of you that might be interested that Egosoft put out a new newsletter earlier that gave solid teases to X4. Yes, it's being worked on! They've put X: Rebirth (more like X: Afterbirth, amirite?...right?... No?...*ahem*) VR out there in Early Access with a 'new graphics engine' that is a test bed for X4. They also announced that they will be having a new 'Xcon', something that hasn't been done since 2004, which presumably will show some of what they have for X4, along with more X: Rebirth VR on hand to test with various headsets. It's in Germany, though, so be sure to book a flight early!

Just thought I'd put that out there since I know some of you are still waiting for the definitive current-gen X sequel we should have had...me included. Well, our prayers might have been answered! Though it might be some time before we know for sure. Hopefully not as long as the wait for Star Citizen. amirite?...eh, I'll just see myself out... Wacko

Link to newsletter: https://www.egosoft.com/x/xnews/201708_1_44News.html

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > New SteelSeries Mice Boast 1-to-1 Sensors
6. Re: New SteelSeries Mice Boast 1-to-1 Sensors Aug 1, 2017, 14:17 Rigs

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 09:09:
I love my Rival 300 mouse. Best mice I've ever had since the Logitech MX518

*sigh* I miss my MX518! Had that thing for 6 years and it never let me down, not once. Then I got tired of having the same old and gave it to a good friend of mine along with my G15 keyboard. He had it broke inside 4 months. Pouting But my G510/G700 work just as well and I'd go as far as saying that the G700 could be considered the modern successor to the MX518. 'Course they don't make the straight G700 anymore, either. I don't have any experience with the new G700S but aside from fancy decore, it looks to be the same. I've had my G700 for around five years now, might be time to get a new one, though this one has been through hell and still functions flawlessly. *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2017, 17:27.

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2017, 10:47 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Jul 30, 2017, 04:31:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 30, 2017, 03:09:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 29, 2017, 22:18:
MeanJim wrote on Jul 29, 2017, 18:51:
Children, adults suffer carbon monoxide poisoning in video game trailer.
That wasn't the kind of "video game trailer" I was expecting.

I agree, that headline made absolutely no sense until I read the article. I didn't know that kind of trailer existed.

So I wasn't the only one who was going WTF the entire article, I still don't even understand what that trailer was FOR.
Yeah, a photo could have gone a long way here.

There is a photo...it's just a trailer full of consoles and screens. Not a bad idea, actually. Would have to find a way to keep the cost of it down. Beats having a bouncy castle (well, maybe ) and a creepy clown...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > MS on PC Gaming
40. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2017, 17:55 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Jul 28, 2017, 03:58:
Cutter wrote on Jul 27, 2017, 11:34:
Blue wrote on Jul 27, 2017, 08:23:
Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2017, 22:46:
'I promise I won't hit you no more, baby. Trust me, honey.'

I am calling for a retirement of the "humorous" allusions to domestic violence that these stories inspire.

Noted and rejected.

You really can be a douchecanoe sometimes.

Sometimes?! Inquisitive

He just told the owner and purveyor of this site he spends 90% of his social life on to basically go fuck himself in relation to jokes about physical abuse. If that's not a bannable offense, considering the other outlandish and morally reprehensible things that's come out of his (virtual) mouth, I really don't know what is.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Tencent Stakes Out Frontier Stake
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2017, 15:10 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Jul 28, 2017, 14:09:
E-smack, lol. And why wouldn't a oompany called Tencent buy 10% insteaf of 9 points? It would be more apropos.

Maybe cause 50-cent beat them to it? Ain't he broke now, tho?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > MS on PC Gaming
19. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 27, 2017, 06:18 Rigs

*Runs into the kitchen to check the calendar*

Yup! It's the end of July, time for MS's twice-yearly commitment to PC announcement...

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 26, 2017, 22:10:
Halo 1 and 2 were on PC.

You do realize we're up to HALO 5 now, yes?

Speaking of which, when I reinstalled Windows 10 (on a hard drive that promptly died a week later, no doubt laden down from all the updates like concrete 'shoes' around a witness's ankles), I was very hyped to download the 'Halo 5 FORGE' and play around with it, maybe do some multi (In HALO 5, man! ON PC!!!) until I saw the download requirements of 55 gigs! *record screech* That's five more gigs than my entire monthly data cap allowance! What the hell is the whole game come in at, 100 gigs?!? Geezus, learn some restraint!

I'm continually amazed when I look at everything early gaming devs squeezed into the 16k, 32k, 64k, 128k systems back in the day and now we can't have a AAA game without it being less than 30 gigs! I think all devs should be required to build one complete game in less than 128k before working on a AAA game. Maybe then they'd appreciate the added space modern tech allows...

=-Rigs-=

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 26, 2017, 18:35 Rigs

'AT&T Sees Record Loss in Cable TV Subscribers.'

Still has no problem giving two middle-fingers way, WAY up to rural FL customers who have absolutely no other choice but to take AT&T's money-engorged flogger without even the courtesy to ask for it gently... Movingalong

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Play Just Cause 3 for Free
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2017, 12:37 Rigs

I dunno, I bought the XL version on sale cheap a long time ago and it sat under 'the pile' for a while until I finally got to it earlier this year. I have to say that...I wasn't impressed. For what it was, a sequel to JC2, it was ok. The story was ok, nothing mind-blowing, but the run-n-gun, the meat and potatoes (Mmmm, meat and potatoes) of this game, it's just average overall. It was a pure mix of JC2 and the Ubisoft formula (towers, outposts, unlocking regions in any order you wish) with better graphics. It was just that...that was it, really. Some bigger explosions, the games mechanics were more refined but in the end, it was just more of the same. And, unfortunately, I ran into a lot of scripting and physics glitches. Some to the point that I couldn't finish a mission because the selected target didn't show up on my HUD or radar.

There was one point, early on the first 'island', where the main-big base on top of the mountain is nigh-impenetrable but once you do take it over, you still get plastered with infinite airstrikes unless you take on a story mission before it that turns the airstrikes off. Since I was more interested in unlocking the regions, I didn't get to the story mission that did this until later, after dying repeatedly trying anything to disable the airstrikes.

Speaking of liberation, one of the peculiarities of the game is that once you destroy the last piece of enemy equipment at a town or outpost, it becomes yours, even if the base is swarming with bad guys and machines of war. This becomes almost necessary sometimes when trying to liberate cities as the response from the bad guys can quickly overwhelm you. Just take out the shopping list of bad guy equipment, raise the flag in town and 'BOOM!', it's all yours regardless! Very unrealistic and it pulled me out of it multiple times.

=-Rigs-=

2683 Comments. 135 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo