Total Posts
3270 (Veteran)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

3270 Comments. 164 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    164  ] Older

Re: Ubisoft Financials: Far Cry 6 and Rainbow Six Quarantine Now Due in Fiscal 2021-22
Oct 30, 2020, 09:19
Rigs

Re: Ubisoft Financials: Far Cry 6 and Rainbow Six Quarantine Now Due in Fiscal 2021-22 Oct 30, 2020, 09:19
Oct 30, 2020, 09:19
 Rigs

For fucks sake...I'm starting to think that using the lockdown and Covid as an excuse for delaying releases is becoming the hot new fad for devs and publishers. (*cue all those that always say at every delay announcement, 'oh, that's ok, I still have a backlog to go thru, better late than rushed!')

I thought for sure that Cyberpunk wouldn't be delayed again given how it'd been delayed multiple times and it supposedly was already 'done' and just needed a little 'polish'. Me thinks they weren't exactly being truthful. It's the first game I've pre-ordered in close to a freakin' decade (the last one being the PS3 version of GTA5 seemingly a lifetime ago) and I was freakin' >hyped< for the Nov. date, against my better judgement, relatively sure it wouldn't get yet another delay. Well, so much for that. Now I can't be sure about >anything<. Thanks, games industry, for gleefully feeding into my existential dread and crippling anxiety! It's the wonderful gift that keeps on giving...

=-Rigs-=

Re: Urban Strife Announced
Oct 24, 2020, 19:38
Rigs

Re: Urban Strife Announced Oct 24, 2020, 19:38
Oct 24, 2020, 19:38
 Rigs

I still can't believe Microprose is back. Blows my f-ing mind! Same logo, everything! Now all we need is those big box PC releases of old with phonebook sized manuals and all those little extra goodies with a swank glazed box and I'll be able to die a happy man! Dance

=-Rigs-=

Re: Blade Runner Remake Delayed
Oct 24, 2020, 19:06
Rigs

Re: Blade Runner Remake Delayed Oct 24, 2020, 19:06
Oct 24, 2020, 19:06
 Rigs

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Oct 23, 2020, 19:24:
Yeah, Delta Force 1, 2 & Blackhawk Down (and the various expansions) all used voxels. Those games were developed by Novalogic, which used the same technology in their simulations: Comanche 1, 2, 3, and 4, and Armored Fist 1, 2 and 3. It was sort of their thing.

Other classic games that used voxel technology include Amok, Command & Conquer 2 (and Red Alert 2), Outcast, and Hexplore. It has also been used as supplemental technology in numerous other games too, from Alpha Centauri, Crysis and even some of 3D-Realms Build-Engine games. While voxels allowed some interesting visuals, it tended to be more memory-intensive than polygon-rendered titles, couldn't be as easily accelerated by GPUs, and often lacked the sharpness that polygonal models allowed, so it never really caught on (all the more since consoles were so memory-strapped to begin with).

Damn, beat me to it! Oh how I remember Comanche when it first came out. Or rather, when the demo of it came out! It was like nothing I'd ever experienced! I had no clue what 'voxels' were at the time. I knew pixels, just not 'voxels'. And it was a bit blurry, mostly, as stated above, the tech of the time (ie. my long suffering IBM PS/1 486SX/25mhz w/4mb of RAM and a generous helping Cirrus Logics 'best' 512k of VRAM) wasn't fast enough. I had to keep mine on the lowest settings just for a decent, half playable 10-12fps. Still, if you looked at it from a bit further away, say over the shoulder of someone playing, you could really see the details that were blurred. It made the grounds look like they were from a model. The lighting gave it an uncanny valley look, at least for Comanche 1 and Armored Fist 1. Also, let's not forget the woefully underrated Terra Nova, (which is actually still available on STEAM, believe it or not!)

=-Rigs-=

Re: Descent: Underground Legal Complications
Sep 16, 2020, 18:09
Rigs

Re: Descent: Underground Legal Complications Sep 16, 2020, 18:09
Sep 16, 2020, 18:09
 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Sep 16, 2020, 17:58:
The game looks pretty good. That woman is a bit annoying though. Hopefully, that's just in the tutorial.

I have Overload and played a couple levels in VR. The levels were huge though, and I found it a bit exhausting flying through to completion in VR.

You flew Overload...in VR? And you didn't end up passed out from the motion sickness in a pile of your previous meal? Um...how? I never >ever< get motion sickness in the 'real' world but for some reason putting a VR headset on and moving freely around is a recipe for disaster for me. Even Minecraft made me sick! I could not even comprehend how one would do it in Overload. I played a small demo on the RIFT one night where you had to walk outside the ISS and repair damage and that had me in a fetal position sweating profusely within seconds. That was one of the major turning points that lead me to sell my RIFT.

If you can do it in Overload, sir, you have my respect! Salute

=-Rigs-=

Re: Regiments Next Year
Sep 1, 2020, 17:59
Rigs

Re: Regiments Next Year Sep 1, 2020, 17:59
Sep 1, 2020, 17:59
 Rigs

Microprose

Rubeyes

Did...when...HOW...did I miss something?!? Wtf When did one of my all-time fav publishers come back from the dead?! And where was I when that memo went out!?!? Headscratch

Not that I'm complaining but that's not something you see everyday...

=-Rigs-=

Re: NVIDIA 30 Series GPUs and New Reflex Drivers This Month
Sep 1, 2020, 17:49
Rigs

Re: NVIDIA 30 Series GPUs and New Reflex Drivers This Month Sep 1, 2020, 17:49
Sep 1, 2020, 17:49
 Rigs

Sooo, ok. I'm really tempted to save for a 3070. But I know damn well I get one and in like six freakin' months, they'll leak upcoming 3070ti's or 3070 Super's or some similar bullshit and I'm gonna be seriously jealous. I got my 2060 just months before they announced the SUPER series. So now I'm shell shocked and wary of getting in on the 'ground floor'. Still, I think I'm due for a little upgrade. I built 'SilverHawk' to replace my 10 year old 'Black Omega-2' (a first-gen Core i5-750, 20gb DDR3-1333, 1050ti/4gb). She's got a middle-of-the-road config for the most part - Core i5-9400f, (currently) 8gb DDR4-3200 G.Skill TridentZ's (the other 8gb is on-loan to my daughter's new Ryzen 3200g system until she gets it completely done), 2060/6gb. CPU's a little on the weaker side but I do have my eyes on a Core i9-9900k at some point. If I did happen to get a 3070, the CPU would definitely be the bottleneck. Hell, even with the 2060, the CPU is still the bottleneck. But it suits me fine for the time being. However, I'm really tempted to upgrade. MUST....RESIST...

=-Rigs-=

Re: Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster in October, Maybe
Aug 29, 2020, 18:51
Rigs

Re: Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster in October, Maybe Aug 29, 2020, 18:51
Aug 29, 2020, 18:51
 Rigs

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 29, 2020, 17:46:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 29, 2020, 16:39:
As long as they take the engine from ME3 to redo ME1 and ME2. The movement in ME1 is janky by modern standards.

It would be great, but I doubt they are putting that type of effort in.

This sounds of Crysis Remastered level of effort to me. I've tried several times to get into the series, read some of the books/comics, watched many of the cut-scenes and online/YT reviews/rants about it but for some reason I just can >not< get into it! I want to so badly but there's just something that doesn't keep my interest. Some have told me to skip ME1 and start at ME2 but that seems to be a bit silly. Truth be told, I actually played quite far into Andromeda before I lost interest. With the exception of a few (namely Metro Exodus and Dying Light ), I'm notorious for not finishing games anyway. Still, a lot of times I'll stop and then long after, go back and finish them. Kingdom Come is a good example of that, along with Max Payne 2 and 3. Maybe, depending on the level of updating, a remaster will appeal enough to get me to take another stab at it. I've been contemplating this very same thing with Bioshock recently since getting 1, 2 and Infinite in a sale along with the remasters of 1 and 2. Decisions, decisions...

=-Rigs-=

Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement
Aug 19, 2020, 00:30
Rigs

Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 19, 2020, 00:30
Aug 19, 2020, 00:30
 Rigs

I seem to remember at the time FB bought Oculus they swore up and down that to use a RIFT you would never have to login to FB. Did they think we'd just forget? Or, oh, wait, that's right, they don't give a shit...silly me. Whatever

=-Rigs-=

Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement
Aug 19, 2020, 00:27
Rigs

Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 19, 2020, 00:27
Aug 19, 2020, 00:27
 Rigs

Sneakycamper wrote on Aug 19, 2020, 00:13:
EUTHANIZE wrote on Aug 18, 2020, 20:42:
Guess that makes my future VR shopping a little easier.
Everyone help on this problem that Youtube is having probs atm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VaO_PnRySE

Please stop spamming the comments section. You did this in another thread too and it has absolutely >nothing< to do with the subject being talked about.

=-Rigs-=

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Reviews
Aug 18, 2020, 17:22
Rigs

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Reviews Aug 18, 2020, 17:22
Aug 18, 2020, 17:22
 Rigs

This sim blows. my. mind! Finally, FINALLY, a developer has used the next gen tools on offer to create a truly next step in flight sims. That sounds a lot like hyperbole but it's not. They hit it out of the frackin' proverbial park this time! I can remember, a few years after FSX's DLC/expansion came out and it looked like MS was shifting away from flight sims, disbanding their flight sim division after decades of work. I wondered if that was it, if I was truly seeing the death of gaming's legacy. It was a sad day. A sad time. Even when they brought out that experimental sim based in Hawaii, I had doubts they would follow thru and I was right. But this...this is the real deal, my friends. You're watching history, the bar being raised right in front of us. I haven't even FLOWN YET! I've been gasping at the freakin' map all afternoon! Not only does it show time of day via the sun line, if you have full streaming enabled, it has the current satellite picture too! And IT MOVES! It's not static! On the map you can find just about any freakin' airport or landing strip known to man! Sometimes they're just farmers fields! Or a dirt road in the woods! Selecting an airport let's you see the CURRENT ARRIVALS AND DEPARTURES! Right there, right now! On the map, you can see every plane in the air at this moment and you can get details just as if you were on one of those sites that tracks flights. It's all right there! You can tweak just about everything and there's also a 'developer menu' option which has other things you can mess with, like turning on wireframe rendering, which is a mindfuck in itself! Like I said, I haven't even gotten INTO an airplane yet! I'm just savoring every minute like a perfectly prepared steak. I can not even imagine the mods and expansions this thing is going to have in three to five years time! There's already some stuff you can purchase...which brings me to the only negative (besides the high system requirements...my poor Core i5-9400f/16gb DDR4-3200/RTX 2060-6gb rig is giving it everything it's got and it's just >barely< adequate). There's an in-game store with 'micro' transactions, though the prices are anything but 'micro'. A new plane? $15. New airport? $5. Some are more than others. If you have the 'standard edition', you can upgrade to the 'deluxe' or 'premium deluxe' model, for $69 and $89 respectively. I am NOT at all crazy about this. It can be ignored, obviously, like the Destiny 2 store can be, but you miss out on some nice additions. We'll have to see how the mod scene pans out to know whether this becomes the de-facto standard or MS wakes TF up and drops it.

Also, if you get the game thru the MS store as I did, it will download a measly couple hundred meg file and then when you start the sim for the first time, you get smacked in the head with the 90+ gb download! I knew it was coming but even the final size being over 100 gigs was a bit of a surprise. Most of the scenery is being streamed so why do I still have 100 gigs worth of data installed?!? There's an option to not have the textures streamed though you still need to be connected online ('for authentication'...their words, not mine). The non-streamed assets are...ick. Basically FSX quality. Flat and low res. You still have 3D buildings but the landscape is all flat and pixelated. Not my first choice and it seems the non-streamable option is a bit redundant since you still have to be online anyway. I guess it's more for those with data caps (which is something they mention during setup). Overall, though, not actually having flown anything yet, I'm in awe. And if the screens in the various menus and loading screens are anything to go by, I'm in for more hot jaw-on-the-floor action.

=-Rigs-=

Re: Halo Infinite Delay
Aug 12, 2020, 03:28
Rigs

Re: Halo Infinite Delay Aug 12, 2020, 03:28
Aug 12, 2020, 03:28
 Rigs

Assuming this is because of all the backlash about the graphics not being up to par (or even to HALO5 standards), I could see them wanting to take time to improve the visuals. Thing is, it could've been helped a long freakin' time ago by not having the Xbox One S as one of your launch platforms. Hell, it would've helped by not having the Xbone as a launch target >at all<. I don't think I've see a more clear cut example of working for the lowest common denominator. It's obvious the Xbone wasn't going to be able to keep pace with the new system and certainly not with a PC. Yet 343 chose to keep it in the list of supported systems. When the very first trailer hit, you could see this new engine was going to require much more horsepower under the hood to make it look spectacular. Now, over three years later, the decision to keep the Xbone as a supported platform instead of going straight for the next gen hardware is coming back to bite them in the ass. 343 knows better.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 2020, 23:05.

Re: Evening Consolidation
Aug 11, 2020, 19:40
Rigs

Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 11, 2020, 19:40
Aug 11, 2020, 19:40
 Rigs

Xbox Series X Launches this November with Thousands of Games Spanning Four Generations.

Yeah, except the one damn game everyone is getting a Series X for in the first place!

=-Rigs-=

Microsoft delays Halo Infinite to 2021
Aug 11, 2020, 17:49
Rigs

Microsoft delays Halo Infinite to 2021 Aug 11, 2020, 17:49
Aug 11, 2020, 17:49
 Rigs

From The Verge:
It’s not clear what changed over the past few weeks to force Microsoft to delay Halo Infinite to 2021. The reception to the game has been mixed, though, with some criticizing the graphics and visuals in the game. 343 Industries responded to the criticisms, admitting that “we do have work to do to address some of these areas and raise the level of fidelity and overall presentation for the final game.”

With no clear Halo Infinite release date in sight, except a 2021 release, 343 Industries will now have plenty of time to avoid the typical game crunch and address fan feedback in the months ahead.

Well, that ruined the rest of my day. Fuckin' hell on a stick...

That leaves Cyberpunk 2077 and Dying Light's HellRaid as the only two games I'm looking forward to for the rest of the year. Bah! I'm taking my toys and going home and going to bed! Sigh

=-Rigs-=

Re: Halo Infinite Battle Royale?
Aug 3, 2020, 11:40
Rigs

Re: Halo Infinite Battle Royale? Aug 3, 2020, 11:40
Aug 3, 2020, 11:40
 Rigs

Beamer wrote on Aug 3, 2020, 10:32:
Halo has always had many multiplayer modes, so I don't see why this is a surprise or a concern.

When Halo came out with Capture the Flag, did people say "just what the industry needs, more Capture the Flag games" or "they're just ripping off Quake?" No. People wither played Capture the Flag, which was the most popular multiplayer variant, or they didn't.

Why wouldn't they include the current most popular multiplayer variant? And, if you don't like it, just stick with DM, Team DM, Capture the Flag, or whatever other mode you prefer.

Because it's been stated several times by 343 that they were not going to make a HALO BR - ever. Yes, they're proactive with new modes and, as I said, they might come out with a mode similar or with elements of BR, it's not going to be straight battle royale. That's all I was saying.

=-Rigs-=

Re: Out of the Blue
Aug 2, 2020, 17:30
Rigs

Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2020, 17:30
Aug 2, 2020, 17:30
 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 2, 2020, 17:19:
fakespyder wrote on Aug 2, 2020, 17:08:
They've imposed harsher lockdown requirements down here in parts of Aus. Most things like mandatory face masks and only small numbers of people in a store at a time I understand.
But they actually imposed a curfew... I couldn't believe it when I heard it. It makes zero sense as it forces people who might otherwise have gone to the store at less busy times of the day to go during the non-curfew time. Now everyone will be panic buying all at once.
This whole thing is insane and is supposed to last at least 6 weeks!
Yeah well, it seems people weren't following the rules seeing as the case count was quickly going up. It isn't insane, it is how you tamp down a pandemic. Could be worse, you could live in the US where the national level of government wants to let the virus run wild...

I spoke to some relatives down FL-way yesterday and they were adamant that what's NOT being said is that there's a very strong feeling of things flying out of control down there. They said all their neighbors are stockpiling again but it seems different this time, like it's going to be an 'end of everything' type scenario and anarchy is going to rule, at least for a little while. They have NO confidence that Trump will do a damn thing except some flashy 'good will' gestures. Basically what I'm saying is people down there are afraid for their lives in more ways than one! And it shouldn't be this way! Here in KY, the numbers have been going steadily up and, yeah, there's a lot of grumbling about Beshear's mandatory mask order but it's obvious why. In fact, I was in a Dollar General Friday and some guy was bitching about having to have it on (since he came in without it and was promptly told to get it on or get out) and no less than three people shut him up pretty quickly. It's time we stopped complaining, did the 'horrible deed' we need to do and get a handle on this thing already!

On another note, just a few days ago I was watching a 'Wheel of the Worst' on YT which had Wilford Brimley and they mentioned he was still alive and I couldn't believe it! So I Googled it, like any normal dope, and sure enough, there he was! NOT TWO DAYS LATER...when I heard about it in the car this morning, I was just blown away, 'I just...he was...I JUST CHECKED IT!' Makes me think I jinxed him somehow... Whatever

=-Rigs-=

Re: Halo Infinite Battle Royale?
Aug 2, 2020, 17:18
Rigs

Re: Halo Infinite Battle Royale? Aug 2, 2020, 17:18
Aug 2, 2020, 17:18
 Rigs

Yeah, no. I can't see 343 going the Battle Royale route. They might have some mode that is similar in some ways but it isn't going to be FORTNITE: HALO Edition. If it's one thing 343 is not known for, it's chasing trends...

=-Rigs-=

Re: Evening Legal Briefs
Jul 30, 2020, 19:51
Rigs

Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2020, 19:51
Jul 30, 2020, 19:51
 Rigs

Bodolza wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 13:14:
Beato was a college professor in music and he's produced over 50 albums. How much more of his life needs to be spent on music to make you happy?

I'd be happy if he'd just stick to one subject when he's talking...like the one the video is titled with...

=-Rigs-=

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR
Jul 30, 2020, 19:28
Rigs

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 30, 2020, 19:28
Jul 30, 2020, 19:28
 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 19:04:
Rigs wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 17:33:
wtf_man wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 15:11:
I want a modern American Plane Combat sim. F-35 or F-22.

And I mean Sim... not arcade like Ace Combat or HAWX.

A remake of DiD's F-22 Total Air War would be awesome.... I'd consider buying a VR rig for that.

Dammit, you just >had< to bring up F-22 TAW, didn't you?! Gah! Now I'm gonna have to go lose a Saturday afternoon playing a campaign...where'd I put that textbook...I mean, manual?...

It looks like you're having a proper e-flashback. Just remember, too much Mountain Dew may induce a coma!

Well, then, you're all in my caffeine-induced fever dream cause I drink a two litre a day!

Jul 30, 2020, 19:26
Rigs

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 30, 2020, 19:26
Jul 30, 2020, 19:26
 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 18:39:
Sims became exponentially more expensive to make, right as the sim market was shrinking. So it wasn't feasible to make them anymore, excepting a few niche products. There's a reason this is the first MS flight sim in 14 years.

*citation needed

Half of me wants to agree but I find it hard to believe that it wasn't as costly or even more when they were trying to squeeze an entire F-16, Desert Storm campaign and multiplayer into a sim that was distributed on 3.5" floppies. I specifically recall Strike Commander being the vaporware champ for several years because of the difficulties in development and that wasn't even a full-fledged sim! In fact, I read an old article not too long ago during the development of EA's Birds of Prey (going WAY back for this one, boys! Get your hi-tops on!), or maybe it was F-16 Interceptor? I dunno, one of the two, and the dev team was reconsidering how much fidelity to give the sim due to cost and time. Yes, today's sims are a bit more physically detailed and definitely much more graphically detailed but I think it all scales, to be honest. I really feel there's other reasons why hardcore flight sims fell out of favor after the late 90's. I just don't know what that reason actually IS yet...

I mean, I can certainly speculate for another 5000 words, if you wish...

=-Rigs-=

Jul 30, 2020, 17:33
Rigs

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 30, 2020, 17:33
Jul 30, 2020, 17:33
 Rigs

wtf_man wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 15:11:
I want a modern American Plane Combat sim. F-35 or F-22.

And I mean Sim... not arcade like Ace Combat or HAWX.

A remake of DiD's F-22 Total Air War would be awesome.... I'd consider buying a VR rig for that.

Dammit, you just >had< to bring up F-22 TAW, didn't you?! Gah! Now I'm gonna have to go lose a Saturday afternoon playing a campaign...where'd I put that textbook...I mean, manual?...

Really, I don't think anything quite reaches DCS when it comes to combat flight sims and they're easily played in VR. I was just watching a vid a couple weeks ago of a DCS A-10 mission in VR with strafing runs and the whole bit. Dude got his starboard engine shredded from a close SAM hit and still brought it home...

However, nothing out today is ever going to touch the shear balls-to-the-wall energy of the early-mid 90's combat flight sim run. It was like a competition to see who could put out the most detailed and playable flight sim of your plane of choice and still get it to run on a 486DX2/66. It's such a shame that with all the modern horsepower we have in cpu's these days, the ambition has all but disappeared from the mainstream. The new Flight Simulator is definitely a great new step in the right direction but it seems to be the only one. I remember day dreaming back in my 486 days what a sim would be like in 2020 or even 2000. Sadly, even this new MSFS doesn't compare to that. This industry seriously dropped the ball when it came to it's birthright. Maybe this is the first step in a journey to change it?

=-Rigs-=
3270 Comments. 164 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    164  ] Older