Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. A wannabe Journalism major, weather fanatic/storm spotter, WW2 buff (Pacific Theater) and rambling post writer extraordinaire!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2904 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: 3Dfx History: The GPU's Great Turning Point Feb 17, 2018, 15:51 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 08:30:
Rigs wrote on Feb 16, 2018, 09:43:
I'm not responding to any complaints about post length at all - ever.

=-Rigs-=

And you were saying.

$&#_+*RedEye":%'&

I was responding to your douchiness, not to nonsensical complaints about post length that doesn't matter. Nice to know it wasn't in vain. Do you really want to keep this up because it just makes you look petty. And speaking of being petty, answer your emails once in a while, eh?

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: 3Dfx History: The GPU's Great Turning Point Feb 16, 2018, 09:43 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 16, 2018, 09:00:
Nucas wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 20:38:
you know that guy in high in school who went around telling everyone he didn't care what they thought, but it seemed like he cared a little too much?

that is the stink clinging to your manifesto with it's incredible "if you didn't like this, you're the snowflake! i totally don't care because i said so!" postscript.
^This guy get's it.
Look ma, I can write a lot of stuff. All I can say is thankfully there is a limit to how long you can make a post.

=*% RedEye #@=
=-*%RedEye&$#=

Does putting my name after I post make my post look long. I did it twice just in case you could not tell it was me.

Hmm, your 'response' reminded me of something...

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 17:18:
When everyone calls you out on being a douche, it means your a douche.

Consider yourself called.

*Also, you proved my point - twice!

=-Rigs-=

16. Re: 3Dfx History: The GPU's Great Turning Point Feb 16, 2018, 09:40 Rigs

Beamer wrote on Feb 16, 2018, 09:12:
We're all allowed our stupid, nostalgic rants we know no one else will read but feel good sharing. All of us. I'm certainly guilty.

His post wasn't incorrect for that, it was incorrect for glorifying any 3dfx card not made by Canopus. Amateurs!!!!! /gatekeeping

Thank you, Beamer...I think. At least there's one other adult around.

=-Rigs-=

13. Re: 3Dfx History: The GPU's Great Turning Point Feb 15, 2018, 21:11 Rigs

Nucas wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 20:38:
Rigs wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 18:59:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 16:13:
Rigs wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 15:14:
TLDR
Note: Btw, I know some of you start foaming at the mouth when faced with a wall of text but I'm not apologizing for it. No one is forcing you to read it. I'm not responding to any complaints about post length at all - ever. There's nothing wrong with it and if it bothers you, well, then maybe go to Youtube or Twitch for the shiny things that keep your attention, snowflake.

This was my takeaway.

-+-=-RedEye=-_=+

Oh stop, you probably read more in a single day than I do in a fucking week! Why don't you just admit already that you secretly adore my long posts and always have? See, it took me a little while but I'm on to you. They say that your harshest critics are always your biggest admirers. You're not someone that would waste time on something you don't care about...

=-Rigs-=

you know that guy in high in school who went around telling everyone he didn't care what they thought, but it seemed like he cared a little too much?

that is the stink clinging to your manifesto with it's incredible "if you didn't like this, you're the snowflake! i totally don't care because i said so!" postscript.

Sooo, had I not put that little note on the bottom, the post would have been fine? And wtf is with the 'manifesto'? You don't read more than two paragraphs at a time?! Christ...I don't think I've ever seen so many people get bent out of shape of something so trivial. Personally, that is. I see it nearly every damn day in the news. You do realize you're proving my point, right? You guys take this shit any more seriously, you're going to burst a vein in your forehead. Alas, do what you wish, say what you wish, I really honestly don't care, I just find it funny you all have a problem with reading a long post. So fucking childish...

=-Rigs-=

10. Re: 3Dfx History: The GPU's Great Turning Point Feb 15, 2018, 18:59 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 16:13:
Rigs wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 15:14:
TLDR
Note: Btw, I know some of you start foaming at the mouth when faced with a wall of text but I'm not apologizing for it. No one is forcing you to read it. I'm not responding to any complaints about post length at all - ever. There's nothing wrong with it and if it bothers you, well, then maybe go to Youtube or Twitch for the shiny things that keep your attention, snowflake.

This was my takeaway.

-+-=-RedEye=-_=+

Oh stop, you probably read more in a single day than I do in a fucking week! Why don't you just admit already that you secretly adore my long posts and always have? See, it took me a little while but I'm on to you. They say that your harshest critics are always your biggest admirers. You're not someone that would waste time on something you don't care about...

=-Rigs-=

3. Re: 3Dfx History: The GPU's Great Turning Point Feb 15, 2018, 15:14 Rigs

I've spoken about my experience with my Voodoo2's before here a few times...how I was absolutely blown away, standing in absolute AWE watching (what was then) the tech demo of the first X (which became X:BTF two years later in 2000)! My fiance` had to literally drag my ass out of the store, I wouldn't leave even after nearly an hour and like twenty run-throughs of the non-interactive demo. I couldn't get enough. Then I got my Pentium2/400 on the now legendary ASUS P2B/Intel 440BX chipset board with 128mb of RAM, a Diamond Stealth S220/4mb/Rendition chipset (which I still have) and a Diamond Monster3D-2/8mb/Voodoo2 (which I also still have). I paid out nearly $5,000 at the time for the system, the cards alone were over a quarter of the price. The Monster3D-2 came with a LucasArts sampler CD which had cut down versions of Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, Shadows of the Emipre and X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and another cd with Mechwarrior2 and Heavy Gear 2 (remember that old mech game no one talks about anymore?). In addition, I was buying just about any 3D accelerated game I could get my mits on - TAW (Total Air War), Independence War, Grand Prix Legends, NASCAR Racing 2/3, Indycar Racing 2, Viper Racing (lots of racing games, I was majorly into sim racing at the time, more so then even now), Sin, Half Life, Quake 2, Descent 2/3, Starfleet Academy, European Air War (EAW), Falcon 4.0, the Jane's sims...the list just goes on...

The problem I had was that within the first few days of getting my system and trying to play TAW (Total Air War), the screen would go black after playing for 5-10 minutes. I took the system back to the builder multiple times (it was the last system I had someone other than me build, besides buying a DELL in 2003) and every time, after keeping the system for a day or two, they'd tell me to pick it up, it was working fine. Yet as soon as I got home and set it back up, the same thing would happen every. single. time. Finally, I was super frustrated with being dicked around and felt that they should have been taking the situation much more seriously since I'd paid out $5,000 for the express purpose of playing games on the system. I did research of my own over the next week or so and came to the conclusion that the power supply (PSU) was the culprit, that it just wasn't putting out enough power to handle both video cards with everything else. The system builder wasn't really used to dealing with gaming systems as a whole, so they probably didn't know this but after explaining it to the owner, he still flat out refused to replace the PSU multiple times even though it was still under a full 2-year warranty. After a huge argument in his store a few days later, I promptly told him to go fuck himself in front of customers and his staff, I'd handle it for now on, which I did. I bought a new PSU and never had that particular problem again. Besides the DELL I bought with credit I had received as a gift in 2003, I've built every system of mine since, not to mention family and friends. The system builder was out of business (or moved, though I never found him again when looking) in less than a year. (I'm not implying that I caused it but it's pretty ironic since he'd been there for years before)

While all this was going on with the PSU, I tried another approach with Diamond, thinking maybe the Monster3D-2 card was faulty. Since it was also under warranty, they graciously offered to send me another Monster3D-2 card to see if that one worked and send the old one back to them after. Well, I got the new card, about the same time I got the new PSU and the problem was fixed. I noticed that the new card had no return sticker or anything stating where to send the 'old' card to. Instead of calling them, I feigned ignorance and just kept the new card as well, installing it in my system as an SLI setup! Yes, technically, I 'stole' it but they never asked for it back and I had no idea where to send it back in the first place (unless I happened to call them). They never called or wrote me, so I now had a bad-ass SLI system that worked as well as any top of the line one you'd see in the mags at the time. I remember fondly playing on that thing for years, mostly with NASCAR Racing 4 and NASCAR Heat online. In 2000, three years later, the SLI setup was becoming...quaint. It was time for a new videocard (one of those shiny new Geforce2MX's) that supported T&L (transform and lighting), which was all the rage and was needed to play my newest obsession, 1nsane! I also played a lot of X:BTF, which had released by this time.

While I no longer have the system itself (I do still have the motherboard box, along with the Monster3D-2 box), I sold it in 2004 for $150, I have the Stealth S220 and one of the Monster3D-2 cards. I would like to put together a new Win98 box to play some of those early 3D accelerated games that don't play well in Windows 7/10 these days. Hell, I might even have all the parts I need here, I just need the patience and time to put them together. That would bring back tons of memories for sure...

*Note: Btw, I know some of you start foaming at the mouth when faced with a wall of text but I'm not apologizing for it. No one is forcing you to read it. I'm not responding to any complaints about post length at all - ever. There's nothing wrong with it and if it bothers you, well, then maybe go to Youtube or Twitch for the shiny things that keep your attention, snowflake.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2018, 19:22.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2018, 19:24 Rigs

Oooh, I'm really interested in knowing what Maitri Shah did to not only get his comments removed but to be banned. Spam? Hateful comments? I'm insanely curious...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > THQ Nordic Buying Koch Media
10. Re: THQ Nordic Buying Koch Media Feb 14, 2018, 11:51 Rigs

Prez wrote on Feb 14, 2018, 10:19:
I was wondering if anyone was ever going to do anything with the Dead Island franchise. I really liked the 2 previous ones. Who Do You Voodoo BITCH?!

I've always liked THQ - they have published some great titles over the years. I was sad when they had their fire sale and fell off the radar some years back. Now if we could just get a proper Red Faction sequel.

I just finished Dead Island Riptide last night, finally. I loved Dying Light so much (except for the absolutely dogshit awful ending to the expansion 'The Following') and I've played it so much that I figured I'd go back and finish Riptide for something a little different. That 'Sam B' song is all over this franchise, they must've gotten a good deal on the rights to it. It's in the game, in the credits, in the cutscenes, in the trailers...christ. I never played the first Dead Island, but now, with the ending to Riptide, I can kinda see where they went with 'The Following' ending. The end doesn't always mean happy. Still, they could've iterated on it by making it a little better in 'The Following'.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Dawn of War 3 Sets
30. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 9, 2018, 02:17 Rigs

mag wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 22:37:
Yeah, SupCom is probably my fav game of all time, especially after the expansion.

For some reason I much prefer the original than the expansion. I guess because it was such a simple three way fight, no sub factions plus the units felt right. In the expansion, they 'felt' like expansion-type units. Don't know how to really explain it, just the feeling I get when I play it. Don't get me started on SupCom2...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Dawn of War 3 Sets
13. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 8, 2018, 15:49 Rigs

*grabs Dawn of War box*

See, Sega?! THIS but with better graphics. Nothing else. Don't try to 'innovate', just this game with better graphics. Call it a remaster or a new game, I don't give a damn, just this with better graphics.

Then if it doesn't sell, you can complain.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > PUBG Anti-Cheat Release Delayed
21. Re: PUBG Anti-Cheat Release Delayed Feb 7, 2018, 20:40 Rigs

Michael Dickinson wrote on Feb 7, 2018, 16:22:
HERE'S A FUCKING IDEA, Fix yer fucking game so people don't use AUTO-AIM or INSTANT HEAL you fucking dumbass, blue-hole, piece of shit company.

fredrickson?! Did they finally thaw you out? Ohmagod, guys, look! I think fredrickson is back from court-mandated lifelong solitary confinement!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > E3 Tickets on Sale Next Week
9. Re: E3 Tickets on Sale Next Week Feb 7, 2018, 17:13 Rigs

I'd love to go...I almost went one of the two years in was in Atlanta but sadly wasn't able to. Just to say I was there, though I'd want to wait until it's the next-gen reveal season, seems to be more exciting then, or maybe if there's a game I seriously want to see every little bit of I can get my hands on...like HALO 6, maybe?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
11. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 6, 2018, 17:43 Rigs

Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2018, 17:05:
What can boutique builders do about it? Why wouldn't they raise the price of the system - I've never seen such a policy. And there are no alternatives, so they can't go elsewhere. They have no power in this relationship right now - if they choose to buy less then they only hurt themselves.

There are few moving pieces. NVidia and AMD build cards. Those cards are selling like crazy. There are no competitors other than them. Anyone who is not happy has no repercussions to take on them to solve this. Demand is far outstripping supply, and there's little that can be done about it. The time and effort to build neutered cards would be pointless, because there's an excellent chance the bubble pops prior to that, they're already selling out their production capacity at higher prices, there's no threat of a lower priced product stealing their share, and would a neutered product that fails at mining be decent at gaming, anyway?

From this article on Gamespot:

While it's possible to find some high-end gaming GPUs near MSRP if you're vigilant, the windows of opportunity are small. One way to skirt around this issue if you are thinking about building a gaming PC with a new GPU is to buy a prebuilt system.

When we met with system vendor CyberPower PC at CES, the company revealed to us that it, along with many other system vendors, have strict GPU pricing guidelines. This effectively means they can't over-inflate the price of its systems based on the street prices of graphics cards.

I'm not going to comment further on this, I said my opinion, that's how I feel. What AMD and nVidia actually end up doing is up to them. From my point of view, it hurts the industry by putting profits over availability. Sure, they'd be stupid not to but it doesn't mean they should. *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

9. Re: Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 6, 2018, 16:44 Rigs

Creston wrote on Feb 6, 2018, 10:12:
Why? What possible benefit would this have for them?

1) Creating dedicated mining cards means they need to design and create an extra product line / fabrication line for them. And these cards would need to be a better power draw vs mining output ratio, or come at a cheaper price than normal graphics cards, or miners wouldn't buy them.

2) Flooding the market with cards is literally saying to them "You need to flood the supply channel so the price goes down, so you will have to increase your costs solely to depress profits for your retail partners."

All of this means less profit for AMD/Nvidia.

Seriously, why on earth would they ever do this?

I couldn't care less if it benefits them, I was speaking from my point of view, a gamers point of view. I know they won't. They have no incentive to do something that drops the price of cards but I would imagine that they are getting a lot of pressure from 'boutique' builders because they have policies against raising the price of the whole system because one part is exorbitantly high. They're losing money and I don't think they'll let that slide very long. I'd have to see how much they make with miners vs. how much they might make should they drop the price/flood the market and let the price drop naturally so that cards are in the reach of more casual players and builders.

There's a lot of moving pieces to keep track of, the mining part of it, the gaming part of it, the second-hand part, the boutique builders...I do understand your train of thought, though, Creston...

=-Rigs-=

9. Re: PUBG Anti-Cheat Release Delayed Feb 6, 2018, 15:03 Rigs

Orogogus wrote on Feb 6, 2018, 13:56:
I think Reshade added a zoom feature last week, didn't it?

Hmm, I don't recall hearing that but it's possible. For those that still aren't sure what it does, here's some comparison shots:

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
The program in-game to adjust settings

It doesn't change anything data-wise, like textures, just how they're shown on the screen. It's the same as going into the graphical properties and changing them yourself only these are pre-tweaked for the best result within the game.

EDIT: As I was putting this together, I came up on a comment that and link to show how you could set Reshade to reduce blurriness so that you could possibly see further and make out other people further away. I guess that could be considered a cheat, depending on how you look at it. So could setting everything to a super high graphical setting or super low where it takes out grass and other obstacles. *shrugs* (This actually reminds me of the original DOS version of X-Wing, way back in 1993, where if you set the graphics to lowest setting, the Death Star trench run would be easy because there were no obstacles or overhangs rendered! I didn't realize this until I moved up to a 486DX2/66 from a 486SX/25 and was able to up the graphics settings. I always thought it was too easy and then I found out why! )

=-Rigs-=

7. Re: PUBG Anti-Cheat Release Delayed Feb 6, 2018, 13:46 Rigs

Oh FFS, the only thing Reshade does is change vibrancy, brightness, contrast, hue and other such insignificant things to bring about a better look. So if you have a shitty monitor, it might make things look a bit better, or in games like WatchDogs and GTA5, it makes things look more realistic. And, yes, it's started on a per-game basis. I'm not sure how you might cheat from it but if there's a Rule 34 for everything, then well, I'm sure someone's found a way...

=-Rigs-=

34. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2018, 23:54 Rigs

Those two touchdowns that were challenged I thought fer sure were going to be overturned. The last one, the announcer was going on and on that unless he was considered a receiver at the time and he didn't intentionally jump into the end zone and it was a Sunday in February, after 7pm but before 11 and Brady had his Wheaties that day...it's like ok, ok, we get it! And then two seconds later, the other one would go, 'well, I dunno, if...' AHHH! Dizzy

In addition, I found a few times that I thought the refs turned a blind eye to some Pats interference, especially on long bombs.

I'm not a huge football fan, I watch when I need to or when I have nothing better to do. Typically if I watch a Giants game, they lose, so I try not to watch them. As if my presence is a curse. I feel the same way with watching a critical race. Then again, I'm one of those people that yells at the tv as if they can hear everything I'm saying. All night my roommates kept coming in and saying, 'you know they can't actually hear you, right?'... Giggle

=-Rigs-=

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 5, 2018, 21:26 Rigs

Eirikrautha wrote on Feb 5, 2018, 20:50:
Good. I want to see it drop to $7.50, so that I can finally buy a video card without taking out a second mortgage. Totally selfish, but I'm ok with that...

Nope, I'm right there with you, mate! Either nVidia and AMD really need to pick up the pace on making dedicated mining cards available or they need to flood the market with video cards in general. It's actually viable to get 'boutique' systems now and save money than it would be to build your own. That's just disgusting. My inner-system-builder just wants to gag whenever I think of it. Puke

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Dying Light to Celebrate Anniversary with Free Content
1. Re: Dying Light to Celebrate Anniversary with Free Content Feb 5, 2018, 21:20 Rigs

C'mon, I fucking adore this game and it's world, give us DL2 already! Or at least a hint of it! I need it! Gimme gimme gimme!

=-Rigs-=

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2018, 23:23 Rigs

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 22:32:
Mega Sportsball is over...and the commercials were downright boring.

Yup, now it's time for MY sport - good ol' racin'! NASCAR, Indy, F1...gonna be a good year for all of them, or so I hope! Come on #2 and #22!

Oh, and that was one of the more entertaining SB games. I'm not a fan of Philly by any means by I desperately wanted the Pats to lose badly, just to knock them down a peg or three. Tired of Brady being some sort of fucking God. Well, not anymore. That disgusted look on Belichick's face was all I needed. Good on Philly for not wearin' out and not taking any of the Pats' shit!

=-Rigs-=

2904 Comments. 146 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo