Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. Currently, lurking and keeping my mouth shut.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2586 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Far Cry 5's Montana Setting Revealed
21. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2017, 00:50 Rigs

Huh, no love for FC4, eh? While I can probably safely get away with saying nearly everyone loved Blood Dragon, including myself, (how can you NOT like it? It has Michael Biene Beinn Bean Been Biehn! And he didn't die this time...unless you suck ) but I really liked FC4. The music, the setting, the atmosphere, the story was even ok. I loved Pagan Minn, though his behavior off-screen in voice-overs vs in cutscenes was sometimes jarringly different. Like they did them two months apart without knowledge of each other. The ending, if you don't kill him, 'The country is yours...but I'm keeping the helicopter' just had me sitting laughing as he went off for the last time, debating whether I should shoot him down in the last second just for more laughs. 'The fuck you are!'.

While the FC3 weed mission and accompanying rap reggae was pretty memorable (I have it on my mp3 player in the car and relive it each time I listen to it), the music was more subtle and emotional in FC4, at least to me. They were more concerned with eliciting an emotional response more than just run and gun. That's evident at the end when you finally find out what Lakshmana really is. The music, the environment...after all you'd been through...it was almost as good as going through Dying Light (with the exception of The Following's absolutely hideous and awful ending that I refuse to except).

I haven't played much of The Witcher 3, to be honest, but I plan to. Maybe it'll become a new fav. But for now, FC4 and Dying Light sit there and it'll take quite a bit to move them. Maybe FC5 will be as successful. One can only hope.

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Giveaway
11. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2017, 23:51 Rigs

The Half Elf wrote on May 23, 2017, 10:24:
VaranDragon wrote on May 23, 2017, 09:16:
The Half Elf wrote on May 23, 2017, 07:35:
He played it for 24 hours. So yeah I'd say he did play it.

It was an attempt of poking fun at Cutter. If you know of his post history here, you'll get it.

I get it, so much that I actually have Cutter friend'ed on Steam. You should see us chat about Canadian lumberjacks and that nasty crap that they call bacon

Oooh, do tell! Is he as dreamy as he seems on the boards? Smitten2

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini Warlords Released
1. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2017, 23:43 Rigs

This should not have been released yet! It's not done! Put it back in!

Seriously, this thing needs some more time for the devs to work on. It's okay as is but from the features they were planning to have and what they do have now, it needs more time. I was pretty surprised when I saw this post because it was not what I was expecting. The last time I tried Warlords, I came out of it hopeful but wanting just a bit more than what they had given...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Keystone Announced
1. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2017, 23:39 Rigs

I'll give them props for trying something different, but this is not new. These are different mechanics already used being mashed together in strange and different ways that haven't been really done before. This industry needs to innovate. Like the movie industry, it's starting to stagnate, idea-wise. The FPS genre isn't some new thing but with all the minds and ideas, no one can come up with an original and unique angle?! Anyone? Like PUB, it's a different take but not all that unique. I want something on the order of the original PREY (I'm talking the ORIGINAL original) and Portal! Something totally out there that's gonna blow my freakin' mind!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2017, 17:45 Rigs

More news...

RDR2 has been delayed until 2018! Shocker there... (Though they released some, admittedly rather beautiful, screens in the meantime just because R* is the digital equivalent of a cock tease)

Is RDR2 on the same engine as GTA5 or is it new? Because those screens are gorgeous! If it was GTA6, I'd be hyperventilating right about now...

Semi-related:
Rockstar's parent company Take-Two is already feeling the effects of the game's delay. After closing out the day $69.04, which was near an all-time high for the company, Take-Two's stock has plunged in after-hours trading to $62.56 as of this writing. The company is set to report its earnings tomorrow, May 23.

Who the hell derped that up?! They couldn't wait a day until after the release? Idiots.

And some more Far Cry 5 videos...looks like FC5 will have plenty of time to soak up those RDR2 anticipation sales after all...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on May 22, 2017, 17:58.

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2017, 14:56 Rigs

Far Cry 5 live action trailer available just now... http://www.gamesradar.com/far-cry-5-live-action-trailers-welcome-you-to-hope-county-montana/

Looks to me to be the ol' Wild West...so Far Cry 5 and RDR 2 head to head? Hmmm, don't think that's gonna go well for Ubisoft. Then again, if they can get FC5 out before RDR2, they might have a chance on getting in on that sweet anticipation...

We'll find out more, apparently, Friday.

EDIT: I don't see any other platforms than the PS4 and PS4 Pro listed...hmmm...though I have to say I already like the soundtrack, just like the last two.

=-Rigs-=

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2017, 16:20 Rigs

I know this was linked above but people see 'Second Life' and 'bunnies' and they have no idea what the hell is going on, so they blow right past it but dude...dude! Holy shitmas! Talk about a total clusterfuck! All over some bunnies in Second Life. The mind reels...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
5. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2017, 13:19 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on May 21, 2017, 13:12:
HorrorScope wrote on May 21, 2017, 13:06:
RedEye9 wrote on May 21, 2017, 11:44:
Do you think that failure to patch systems was a reason last week's worm spread so widely.

I think the #1 reason was opening the email that triggered it to begin with then not having the patch. That is what they survey says.
True that, however a patched system would have been immune to poorly trained employees. You can't fix stupid.

Hey! HEY! Watch who you're callin' stupid, bud! I'm not patched either. I didn't get hit because I'm not fool enough to click on an email that I wasn't expecting with an attachment that says 'Click me, I swear I won't hurt you! Please?'. In any case, my Win7 system hasn't been patched since it was (re)installed last year. I've been mulling over whether I should upgrade to Win10...for a year. Hey! It's a big decision, give me time to think about it!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > 11 Million Paladins and Counting
4. Re: OUT! May 21, 2017, 13:08 Rigs

...a touch of MOBA with your FPS

'Get it out! OUT! Get it out of here! You're stinking up the whole room! OUT!'

I can't think of anything more boring and uninteresting, honestly. FPS, maybe, MOBA? OUT!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Continuum DLC Released
1. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 15:37 Rigs

*crickets*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2
24. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 15:13 Rigs

Slick wrote on May 18, 2017, 00:32:
FC2 was amazing, a definite standout when it came to narrative world-building. The plot left an impact on me to play it all the way through, getting to figure out for yourself what the fuck is actually going on without hand-holding and excessive exposition was masterfully done.

FC1 was also amazing, I'd play a proper remake of that, that deagle felt better than any pistol in any game. And yes! the mutants! such a twist. I remember playing the shareware demo of the first map over and over and over and over, just unable to wait to get my Ati 9800 Pro to kick the full game's ass. FC1 did all of the shit that Doom 3 and HL2 where doing graphically, except FC1 came out before with of them, truly ahead of it's time.

Wait, wait, wait...did we both exist in the same timeline?! FC2 was boring AF! Not to mention cheap - you clear an outpost and go back five minutes later and all the bad guys are all back where they were when you cleared them out! Like it never happened! Then why TF am I doing this?! Plus they seem to have magical vision and are crackshots with rusty old shit weapons. They can bean me from 500 yards but when I finally kill them and get their gun, it's a jammed POS that fires twice before breaking! No, FC2 was not a great game. Either I got a beta copy or you're remembering a different game entirely.

As for the original...~eh. I wouldn't put it in the same league as Doom3 or even HL2. The shooting is all over the place, the plot is typical nonsensical and forgettable and the mutants...ugh. Seriously, what alternate early 2000's are you from? Did they have 9/11 and George W.? If not, can I come over?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Flight Sim World Early Access
3. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 15:03 Rigs

It's FSX. Literally. Dovetail bought the rights to FSX years ago and this is what they have after 'tweaking' it for two years. Impressed? Go play X-Plane 11. This is garbage. No way to import mods, doesn't look like they'll put one in and most of all - Early Access on a 10 year old game?!? The fuck!?

They must think simmers are so desperate they'll take anything...and to an extent they're right but holy hot damn, is this obvious! They're gonna get to a reasonably running state and then DLC it out the ass like some cheap whore! Like I said, go play X-Plane 11...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2
6. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2017, 21:24 Rigs

SirKnight wrote on May 16, 2017, 20:41:
I really hope FC 5 is set in the old west like the rumors say.

For me, while I liked FC 2, 3 and 4 were the best for me. FC 1 was good, but I preferred every other one after it much more. Crytek and their crappy aliens....ugh. Same thing with Crysis. It was great until the aliens came.

I really liked Far Cry 4. It was funny in parts and had a nice story that you wanted to see the conclusion to. Not that you didn't know already since it was cliche`d up the ass but you wanted to see the details. At least I did. I especially liked Pagan Min. Everything about his performance and character was hilariously over the top...but not too much as to become a cartoon. FC3 was ok but dragged in the mid-late game and we all know why at this point - never kill off your most popular character half-way through the game! Some might call it 'edgy' or 'unique' or 'dark' to do so...I call it Bad Writing 101. And FC2? I've tried so many times to get into it. The early parts drag almost as bad as FC3's mid-late game and really, it's just not all that compelling. You search for diamonds, do missions and kill the same people over and over. I've gotten about 30% in and to this day have it still installed but I can't force myself to finish it. It just ends up being boring...

I haven't kept up on the Far Cry rumor mill and this is the first I've heard of the old west as a setting. Personally, if it were my choice? 'FC5: Super Blood Dragon Retribution', baby!!! Headbang

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Surviving Mars Announced
11. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2017, 20:33 Rigs

eRe4s3r wrote on May 12, 2017, 17:32:
RedEye9 wrote on May 12, 2017, 16:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 12, 2017, 16:48:
While we are on about debunking movies and depictions of Mars, let's start with Life on Mars and the intro storm that triggered it all, well, it was complete non-scientific BS. (surprise surprise)
NASA: Fact and fiction of martian dust storms

TL;DR -> The winds in the strongest Martian storms top out at about 60 miles per hour, and at 10% atmospheric density that means you literally couldn't even feel it inside anything that is made of any kind of solid material. A rocket lander can't be toppled by dust storms on Mars. The worst it might do is put a bit of sand on your solar panels.

And by the way, that sand? It's sticky as hell, it sticks to literally everything and maybe worse, it carries a static charge like nothing else. This is why you REALLY need to put your solar panels underneath domes too. Wind Power is completely out of consideration. The atmosphere is so thin (see above wind speeds -> 10% of earth) that you can't generate any worthwhile power.
Who cleans the domes, i see a future for the mafia yet.
Fake news Movies are fake, sad.
We gotta debunk fictional flicks now?.

Yeah, yeah we really do

Tons of people got really wrong ideas and conceptions about Mars (Starts with "Red planet" and ends with sand). And that movie in particular is the primary recent culprit. The way dusty sand behaves on Mars is so alien to our conceptions about dust that it needs to be hammered in again and again. Don't think of dust on Mars or even the Moon like sand on a beach. This stuff is like abrasive glue from hell. On the Moon, you have the added benefit of no wind, and believe me when I say, no wind + abrasive glue from hell is a lot better than abrasive glue from hell that flies around everywhere. On Mars, you got plenty of mild wind, and that makes Mars 1000000x worse for big unshielded domes When I say domes for solar panels, I really mean you need to fortify them in a sealed bunker during a dust storm. If you get that dust on them then every time you clean it you lose efficiency. Even a see-through dome would eventually become opaque.

The joke is, so far we haven't had any realistic mars colony sim AT ALL. They all got Mars wrong more or less, mostly more.

So, um, when are you scheduled to go back? Or did they 'lay' a super fast fiber optic pipeline across five Lagrange points between here and Mars that I didn't know about?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Battlezone VR Rolls Out for PCs
13. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2017, 16:06 Rigs

Orogogus wrote on May 12, 2017, 14:28:
There are programs, some of them free, that let give you desktop access on your headset. I haven't tried all of them, but Virtual Desktop, Bigscreen and VR Toolbox all do this.

Some points against:

1. The resolution on the headsets isn't great, and they're right up against your face. With current gen tech it's not the most comfortable way to read a book.

2. I also don't think the headsets are physically comfortable enough that you would want to fall asleep while wearing one.

Thank you for the info, was what I was looking for. I was aware of those points, I realize having a big headset on and trying to fall asleep are almost mutually exclusive activities but how is say just watching something in Media Player (or, as I use, Pot Player or VLC) or watching Youtube? I know the res is low and of the screen door affect but is it noticeable enough to be detrimental to doing these things? I ask because, beyond being curious, I would want to use a $700 piece of equipment for more than just simming, if I can. If I can sit and use the desktop/apps with it on, then that makes it a little better. Totally understand the experience wouldn't be 'optimal' but I could work with it if its possible. In the few articles I've read, the issue was never addressed and I was always left wondering.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Battlezone VR Rolls Out for PCs
11. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2017, 14:10 Rigs

Stupid question time...

Can you use your Rift or Vive to just see a movie or do anything that would be on your monitor? Like a second screen? Like, could I, when going to bed, put the Vive on, cover up, and zone out to a movie or book? Curious...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Dead Cells Early Access
2. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2017, 07:58 Rigs

'Say rogue-lite one more time, mother fucker!'

Grrr! Like WW2, zombies and open-world before it, enough!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > NY Times on Star Citizen
27. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2017, 06:16 Rigs

*takes his fan and goes home*

VaranDragon wrote on May 11, 2017, 05:14:
RedEye9 wrote on May 10, 2017, 22:25:
Another Star Citizen article, another day closer to a finished game. Nothing to see here.

You are one of the more reasonable people here on blues.

You, good sir, are on crack! He's about as deluded as the rest of us.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > NY Times on Star Citizen
2. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2017, 21:11 Rigs

Aw, dammit, we were doing so good without having one of these pop up...

*slowly hides the fan under the table while anxiously looking around for observers*

*a noble effort, but futile in the long run, we know*

I'm so tired of having to clean these fans...the last one I had to throw out altogether because the shit was so caked in...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > STRAFE Released
3. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2017, 20:06 Rigs

I was pretty psyched after watching the IGN? (or maybe it was Gamespot) review of it. They liked it, though they had issues, of course, and I do as well. They tried way way too hard to go the retro mid-90's vibe and it hurt it in some ways. The aesthetic is ok for the most part but sometimes it just gets in the damn way. Like there's a arena mode available when you click on the convoluted main menu (I'll get to that) and it takes you into a pseduo-DOS wannabe interface where after typing anything you want once, it pulls a 'SuperHot' on you and types in the one program available, murder-something.exe. I forget what the whole thing was. Anyway, you get a menu afterward similar to the main one, only nothing is explained, so you just hit 'P' to start the murdering and it pops up a, no shit, black and white 'Connecting' dialog box, along with that 'always hilarious' modem screech that we're all overly familiar with, you know, 'because 1996'...but the thing is you have to endure it every. single. time. you want to do the arena mode and it takes a good 30-seconds for it to complete 'Connecting'. It's stupid with no way to disable it that I found. There's a box on the left with different 'mutator options' but they're whited ('greyed') out, I guess until you hit some arbitrary point. It was a good joke once but every time? No. Just no.

Now back to the main menu. Ugh. What a mess. Nothing's labeled and it's in low res and the options wouldn't even let me select anything higher than 1280x720@60hz, tho it did show some oddball 1680x1378 res (for my 1680x1050 16x10 res) until I clicked on it and then it reverted to the default and wouldn't let me put it back. The control options are there...but they're pretty spartan. Took me a sec to figure out how to rebind them. But then when I got into the game itself, some of the controls refused to work at all or intermittently. The 'map' view, which has your FOV slide to the bottom right, awkwardly, ala Elite:Dangerous-style, is a pain while you're trying to watch your back. And my inventory would come up sometimes but I don't know exactly how to access anything in it and the 'Q' to use items did nothing for me, as did my scroll wheel to select other weapons, when I had more than one. It makes it feel more like an Early Access game than anything else. I haven't looked at the STEAM reviews yet but I'm going to soon to see if I'm having the same issues as everyone else.

I have to say that the gameplay, while solid, reminds me very much of another excellent game in Early Access called Bunker Punks. I've lost untold numbers of hours to this one and it really is better than strafe in almost every way. It's rogue like, the levels are random, but the gameplay is tighter and the mechanics are more well thought out. And the shooting is much better. Aside from the copious amount of blood squirting everywhere, I can't see where Strafe is any better. And that's a damn fucking shame because I was really looking forward to this one.

Maybe if they put out some patches for the glitchiness and tighten up the controls and shooting some, they'd have a nice shooter on their hands. As it is? Wait for a sale at best or go grab Bunker Punks and don't wait at all.

=-Rigs-=

2586 Comments. 130 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo