Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2157 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 24, 2016, 20:17 Rigs

10 Things I Hate About Click-Baity Articles In Modern Online Media

=-Rigs-=

'...and from about the half-point onward, I only ever died from forgetting where I put my own land mines...'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 24, 2016, 20:15 Rigs

Who the hell keeps buying GTA5?! I know it was on sale but damn...it's old news now, FFS...Bring on GTA6!

=-Rigs-=

'...and from about the half-point onward, I only ever died from forgetting where I put my own land mines...'

News Comments > Shattered Skies Launches
10. Re: Shattered Skies Launches Jul 22, 2016, 03:42 Rigs

Kegaro wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 01:05:
I'd be a bit leery of this title. It's brought to you by the mastermind behind such wonderful games as Infestation:Survivor Stories and Romero's Aftermath... Sergey Titov

I'd wait to see what the reviews say next week. Most of the current reviews are by beta testers.

Oh Christ on a cracker, he's at it again?!? Fuckin' hell, this guy just doesn't quit! This is what? Like the 4th different game with the same premise? Someone needs to lock this guy up in a padded room and throw away the key. I had ALL of my fill with WarZ...I still watch TotalBiscuit's one time play-through of it whenever I need a good laugh.

(On a side note, I'm gonna really hate losing that man, last I heard he wasn't doing well at all...'course that was a few months ago, I've been on a very restricted internet connection since, so WTF do I know, eh? )

Anyway, this needs to stop. STEAM/VALVE need to put this guy in check...someone sic Jim (Fucking) Sterling (Son) on him!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2016, 19:16 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 05:19:
Rigs wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 20:13:
"Man Threatens Pokémon Go Players, Arrested For "Terroristic Threat."

'Get the hell off my lawn!'

=-Rigs-=

That was you, wasn't it Rigs.

I've been advised by counsel to invoke my 5th amendment rights under threat of self-incrimination...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 18, 2016, 20:13 Rigs

"Man Threatens Pokémon Go Players, Arrested For "Terroristic Threat."

'Get the hell off my lawn!'

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted
26. Re: Rimworld Steam Key Fraud Halted Jul 18, 2016, 20:06 Rigs

Be sure to download and read my new e-book, 'How to Live and Prosper in a World of Florps', purchased wherever reputable e-books are sold! And look for my add-on book, coming soon, 'Florps, Profits and YOU!', which is free to Florp Season Pass holders!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Week
36. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Jul 18, 2016, 01:56 Rigs

Dev wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 11:36:
Rigs wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 03:23:
I think what it is, though, especially with Roberts, is that he's seen what little he can do and the reaction he gets from it. Pushing out dreams is so lucrative that having to actually make those dreams reality is too much effort. He got to eat his cake, he doesn't want to have to do the dishes now. The man is creative, there's no doubt about it and if he could write as well as he can world-build, he'd be a master novelist, up there with the likes of Clancy, Crichton, Clarke, Tolkien and Martin. He's good at convincing people to trust him. A master manipulator. But like George Lucas, he can't stop himself from tweaking his dream to fit everyone's tastes. And as such, it's never realized, never finished. The man probably does want everyone to have the ultimate space-trading-combat-sim but I don't think he knows where to stop. He doesn't understand that you can't please all the people all the time. Him and Peter Molyneux are two peas in a dream pod. They want everyone to have the game they've always dreamed of but it's just not possible. Even when you throw unlimited money at it.

Rigs, you have a great take on this. I've believed it was more this (incompetence rather than malicious scam). And an apt comparison to George Lucas.

Well, thank you! It was a little disjointed but it all just came flooding out of my head at once and I was typing as fast as I could before I forgot what I wanted to say...lol...They should tell aspiring writers in college that that is probably how your best work will be written - in a caffeine-fueled flash without warning and typically almost never with an adequate writing utensil around to capture it. I just got lucky this time...

KS wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 09:25:
Add a few paragraph breaks and this is a decent article for a game web site.

I'd be more than willing to sign-up to be Blues' first official games reviewer and simulations columnist...

=-Rigs-=

35. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Jul 18, 2016, 01:48 Rigs

Flatline wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 22:28:
And how many times are they going to rewrite the netcode? They've been "rewriting" it for years now. I'm aware of at least 2-3 big delays while they "rewrote the netcode".

That reminded me just now of that stupid Law and Order: Criminal Intent episode about the fighting game developers and the one lead dev, ('spoilers', btw) who turns out to be the murderer (big shock), is always saying he has to work on the 'polygons for the back wall'. Like, wtf? Like they picked up a book on game development, saw that games use polygons and then wrote the lines without any other research. And they used those 'jet engine'-type lookin' garish PC cases that were popular in the mid-2000's, too, for the big, rich, game dev that the 'bad' dev was in competition with. Every time I saw it, I just rolled my eyes and lol'd. They picked up a copy of Maximum PC or CPU for research and that was about it, it seemed.

Anyway, totally off-topic...your comment just reminded me of that...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Rogue One & Darth Vader VR Game Revealed
17. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Rogue One & Darth Vader VR Game Revealed Jul 18, 2016, 01:26 Rigs

nin wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 21:04:
Jackplug wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 17:20:
Oh dear, the nightmare still wont go away. You can see its gonna be just as corny and garbage as the 1st part.

slick or battlefront?

~ZING!

I love this fucking place...

=-Rigs-=

20. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Jul 17, 2016, 03:23 Rigs

NKD wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 00:22:
thecakeisalie wrote on Jul 16, 2016, 21:31:
I wonder how many fanatics will blame Derek Smart and everyone else they can try to find as a scapegoat instead of Chris Roberts.
Chris Roberts will go into hiding for 6 months or a year, and then he'll come back with another project and ask for more money and everyone he just ripped off with Star Citizen will pony up more cash.

No, I don't see him coming back from this if it does end up being shipped out bare-bones. He'll be this gens John Romero. It'll pretty much curb (if not outright crush) the rest of his gaming career. Maybe, maybe in a decade he might be able to come back quietly, as Romero did, working on mobile. But he'll never be able to shake off the shit storm that hits. Our Gods have failed us. Carmack, Romero, Molyneux, Garriott, Roberts, Holland..they've all fallen since their meteoric rise in the 80's and 90's. The only way any of them could ever make a comeback is by doing it the old fashioned way, a unmitigated blockbuster.

I think what it is, though, especially with Roberts, is that he's seen what little he can do and the reaction he gets from it. Pushing out dreams is so lucrative that having to actually make those dreams reality is too much effort. He got to eat his cake, he doesn't want to have to do the dishes now. The man is creative, there's no doubt about it and if he could write as well as he can world-build, he'd be a master novelist, up there with the likes of Clancy, Crichton, Clarke, Tolkien and Martin. He's good at convincing people to trust him. A master manipulator. But like George Lucas, he can't stop himself from tweaking his dream to fit everyone's tastes. And as such, it's never realized, never finished. The man probably does want everyone to have the ultimate space-trading-combat-sim but I don't think he knows where to stop. He doesn't understand that you can't please all the people all the time. Him and Peter Molyneux are two peas in a dream pod. They want everyone to have the game they've always dreamed of but it's just not possible. Even when you throw unlimited money at it. They both probably figured that with enough funds, anything was possible. 'If you wish for it hard enough, it'll come true'. And he probably thought he was on the right track, doing the right thing when everyone became ''yes' men', throwing money at him left and right and giving him praise for anything he did. That type of shit really does go to people's heads! Don't fool yourself that they have self-control. They're just as infallible has you or I.

On top of all that, Robert's probably realized that he didn't have to put as much effort into his dream machine because the competition wasn't. No Man's Sky is...well, pretty, but it looks to be a shallow experience on par with SW: Battlefront. Yet people have been going ape-shit over it since it was announced. His direct competitor, Elite: Dangerous, again, is rather shallow. Certainly nothing like what he has proposed with SC. It's a decent sim for the genre, no doubt, and I love to play it, but it's the space-trading equivalent of a walking sim. Braben and company are slowly getting it filled in some more, don't get me wrong, it's on a good track. But, as I said, it's nothing like what SC has been trying to achieve. Beyond them, what's left? EVE Valkyrie? Some indie titles with a fraction of the budget? Nothing is anywhere close to what SC] is suppose to bring to the table and Roberts knows this. He was probably waiting to see what would come out during the time of SC's development. Now that he knows there's really nothing out or on the horizon that could match even a quarter of what has been proposed, he's starting to dial down the hype, marketing and probably weeding out all the features that aren't financially viable. And it's by doing that he's probably realized that SC isn't going to be anything close to what people want.

I could be wrong but I don't think I am. I'm not happy about it. If SC becomes the Daikatana of space-trading-combat sims, it might just put a bullet in the genre before it ever got back on it's feet again.

I wondered to myself the other day what a past me would think if I went back in time to 1992, when I got my first 'modern' PC and told myself that the space-sim and flight-sim genres were cold husks, long abandoned? I'd probably cry for a pretty long time. Especially when I learned that those awesome encyclopedia-like manuals all went away! I think I might miss them more than the games themselves!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Offline Mode Next Week; Death Star in September
10. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Offline Mode Next Week; Death Star in September Jul 14, 2016, 17:16 Rigs

Tyrric wrote on Jul 14, 2016, 17:09:
two new heroes including one larger-than-life character we know you've been patiently waiting for

Jabba?

I'm pretty sure it's Chewy...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 14, 2016, 17:03 Rigs

Wow, that's some shady shit, RSI! I know that having to go through refund and 'he said-she said' proceedings is never a pretty process. In fact, it can get really ugly. You can clearly make out the dick waving by both parties here as they go back and forth. What I can't stand is the stupid legalize and chest thumping done by RSI's legal/PR department. All this bullshit added in on almost every sentence, heralding RSI's achievements in crowdfunding...blech! Give me a break. Go take that self-masturbation somewhere private. I don't want to see it and I'm pretty sure whoever else reads it does a huge eye roll, too...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2016, 23:53.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Offline Mode Next Week; Death Star in September
8. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Offline Mode Next Week; Death Star in September Jul 14, 2016, 16:21 Rigs

DangerDog wrote on Jul 14, 2016, 16:12:
I have a feeling they're going to do something stupid like have Walker Assault mode on the surface of the Death Star.

What? That sounds fucking awesome! I'd go for that in a heartbeat. Sure, it's not canon but at this point, we'll take anything. This game had so much promise and...FUCK! I just want to grab the producer and shake the shit out of him...'You were SO fucking close! SO CLOSE! Why didn't you go all the way, you twit?! You had to have known!' Argh! I nominate this version of STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT to be the digital version of blue balls. There's no other way to say it.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > System Shock Remake Funded
17. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 04:22 Rigs

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 10, 2016, 22:54:
I've gotten a LOT of Unity review codes for my channel...

How have I missed that channel after all this time? You talk about the same things I look for and watch on YT all the time. And not once has your channel been suggested to me. Maybe that means I'm not being monitored as much as I feared?

In any case, it's good to be able to put a face to a name. There's only a scant few here on Blue's that I can do that with. (Mr. James Allen of 'Out of Eight' being one) I wish I knew what everyone looked like, if only so I could have that mental picture while reading posts. One of us should set up a directory of sorts so fellow Blues members can look for each other. At least until we all agree on a site and time for the first annual BlueCon...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Democracy 3: Electioneering Released
4. Re: Democracy 3: Electioneering Released Jul 9, 2016, 17:59 Rigs

TRUMP blah blah blah blah Hillary blah blah e-mails blah gun control blah blah blah Brexit blah racism blah blah blah blah sexist right-wing capitalist pig (dot com).

Did I cover everything?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Starbound This Month
8. Re: Starbound This Month Jul 9, 2016, 17:46 Rigs

The last 'stable' release, in December, overhauled and added quite a bit and changed a number of things. It's a vastly added-to game since the beginning. For a while, it wasn't being updated that much, almost for a year. Scuttlebutt is either the creator lost focus, went bankrupt or was working on the 'backend'. And I can see that it takes a lot of work 'under-the-hood', when things are getting updated that you can't actually 'see'. But for over a year? A lot of people lost faith, thought it was another abandoned EA game, like the rest. But then, BAM! It started being updated with a vengeance. The intro mission has been changed around so many damn times I don't even know what it is anymore. The newer 'unstable/experimental' branch builds are borked in the beginning. You're supposed to wake up on your ship and then 'wake' the ship computer AI. But in these latest builds, you can hit 'E' all you want, that AI ain't waking up. There's a mod that fixes this, apparently, and lets you play the rest of it from there. I haven't tried it yet but it does work from what I've heard.

Anyway, is it worth going back to? HELL YES! There's lots to do! You can set up your own colony on a world while you go out exploring, finishing the quests or just gathering ore/credits and battling mobs. Whatever you want. The galaxy is no longer tiered, as it was before. It's wide open now, except the planets themselves have difficulty ratings that you can see when you select them in the map. Just hit up the STEAM page for it and then read in some of the older news, especially the last 'stable' release in December. That lists everything that was added. You'll be surprised if you haven't played it in a while! Also, don't forget to grab some mods! They add a lot of new content (like GUNS, so many damn guns!) and change the game in unique ways, if that's what you want. There's plenty to choose from...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Starbound This Month
1. Re: Starbound This Month Jul 8, 2016, 17:53 Rigs

Holy shizznit...I didn't think I'd ever see the day...This...this is like Star Citizen announcing they've gone GOLD or Valve announcing Hal-...well, ok, it's not that big...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Gone Gold - No Man's Sky
41. Re: Gone Gold - No Man's Sky Jul 8, 2016, 13:45 Rigs

Oh God, it's begun! The Great Florp Outbreak of '16 is upon us all! Save the women and children first! Florp's always go after the weaker individuals of the target species...And don't forget to read your Florp Outbreak Handbook! May God have mercy on our souls...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
41. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2016, 19:08 Rigs

I lurked for the first few years but my account says 9-10-2002...Happy Anniversary! We need a cool 20th logo! So many sites have closed or opened and THEN shut down in that time...to be the only gaming news site out there that isn't owned by some corporate conglomerate...you must be doing something right, Blue! How about another 20?! I'll be here...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Nox for Free
16. Re: Nox for Free Jul 2, 2016, 23:01 Rigs

What is it with some of you and these apps? Let me give away how old I am (or feel, as it were ) by remembering the shit storm that came around when STEAM was released. Ah, it was the end of everything, the world as we knew it, yes? *looks out window* We seem to still be here, though. And now STEAM is lauded. Funny how that works. But, I pretend to hear you think, that's the 'devil we know', Origin and uPlay will be the destroyer of us all! Really? Will it, though? Let's throw in iTunes and GOG Galaxy and we have the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse! Here's the rub...I've had all of them installed on my system for quite a long time now and I haven't had one bit of trouble from any of them. Me thinks someone is letting their hate for the companies behind the apps to show through and sour the experience. If you can use STEAM, I see almost no reason why anyone would have a problem with uPlay or Origin. Yeah, it sucks you have to use them, but just convince yourself they're a rebranded STEAM and have fun! Don't castrate yourself for the sake of virtue. Go ahead...no one's watching...

=-Rigs-=

2157 Comments. 108 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo