Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description A+-certified Master PC builder and Lifetime PC Master Race card-carrying member. Currently, lurking and keeping my mouth shut.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 2471 (Senior)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2017, 18:30 Rigs

AngelicPenguin wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 16:43:
If you waited 8 minutes to read it, you are one patient dude.

Indeed, I am, you adorable little fluff ball...or I like to think I am...plus there's not much that goes on around here, so staring at a progress meter tends to be a highlight of my day. Wacko

Slick wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 19:27:
Think about the other things you could have used that 8 minutes for, you could have totally completed the Titanfall 2 singleplayer campaign for instance.

HA! ~ZING!

No, it's not my system, it's my shitty satellite internet connection. My system has no problem with loading up any page I throw at it, I do have 16gigs of RAM, which is plenty. That 33.6k modem remark isn't far off the mark, our connection is almost perpetually throttled because DishNet gives you a paltry 10gigs a month for day access (and keeps the much more worthy 50gigs parked behind the 2am-8am shift), so that's typically gone in 6 days, seemingly whether we actually use it or not, but that's another story (we had the power go out last year when Hurricane Hermine came through for 36 hours (almost exactly) and before the outage we had 2.4gigs left on our 'day' data cap. When we got our power back (remember the modem and router obviously had no power whatsoever during this time), that 2.4gigs was, of course, gone). That leaves 24 days of the month throttled at near-ISDN speeds (128k) (unless I stay up real late or get up real fucking early), all for the pleasure of giving them $80/month (with a two-year contract!). Up until a few weeks ago, they were the only 'broadband' (psh!) provider in my area - no cable, no dsl (yes, I live in the middle of fucking nowhere!). But I've recently learned that Windstream is in the area but I have yet to make contact with them since other 'life' shit has been bogging me down.

Hopefully, in the next month or so, we can get out from under this ridiculous setup. We might have to pay the contract off but at this point, I don't care one bit if it means getting actual broadband speeds without a damn data cap!

=-Rigs-=

'Ah, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package, how efficient of you...I only hope that in your stumbling around, you do not wake the dragon.' They didn't listen, of course. Arrogant men never do.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hellion Early Access
2. Re: Hellion Early Access Feb 25, 2017, 15:16 Rigs

Jagacademy wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 12:24:
Reviews are terrible, with most people saying the game wasn't even ready to be released, even as an Early Access title.

Are we looking at the same game? Reviews show 'Mostly positive' and many are applauding it's no nonsense approach to navigation and physics. I'll have to give it a try myself and see but it looks promising. There was a lot of flak about Empryion when it had it's 'free' weekends from peeps that didn't understand the mechanics of the game and wanted to be led through everything by the hand. Some games just don't do that or don't have a dedicated, robust tutorial system in place yet. Some people actually like having to figure things out on their own without being told what to do every five seconds. I'm not saying any of this applies to this game in particular because I haven't played it, but just speaking 'in general'...

=-Rigs-=

'Ah, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package, how efficient of you...I only hope that in your stumbling around, you do not wake the dragon.' They didn't listen, of course. Arrogant men never do.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 24, 2017, 11:28 Rigs

No lie, it takes 8 minutes for that 'The Story Of The $10,000 Worth Of Missing Super Nintendo Games Has A Happy Ending' article to load on my connection. God I miss the good ol' text days...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Free Weekend
4. Re: Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Free Weekend Feb 23, 2017, 23:49 Rigs

(Rigs) are the ultimate combat systems

Wow

I'm a ninja! Karate

I always knew I was a bad-ass... Wacko

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Feb 22, 2017, 22:08 Rigs

Thank you, guys, for your suggestions...yes, I have played SWTOR, when it was launched and then when it went F2P. I had a 30-day sub at launch and I played it casually, not really into it. But I haven't subbed since they got player housing and all that. So maybe I'll check it out again. I was just thinking maybe there was this great MMORPG that I'd never heard of that was super into stuff like trade, player housing and mining/farming/etc. I didn't know AO was still online, to be honest, so I hadn't considered it. I think ArcheAge was the one that got closest for me. But, like I said, it along with GW2 are a little overwhelming for just casual play. I really don't want to have to learn a half million player mechanics and keybinds just to play an hour here and there. I've also been heavy into Vendetta Online lately, which is a space sim trader like the X-series, just an MMO. It's really good at it and it doesn't take hours to learn. It does have a sub but you can get 8 hours free to try it out, which doesn't expire until you use them up.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Dead Rising 4 Infecting More Platforms Next Month
2. Re: Dead Rising 4 Infecting More Platforms Next Month Feb 22, 2017, 21:53 Rigs

I know most people prefer the 'Walking Dead' type of zombie apocalypse but really, TWD is more about the people than the zombies. The zombies are just the back dressing, props for the soap opera. Take the zombies out and put in radiation instead, or some killer virus or nanobots or whatever and it's still the same. (and of all places to set a zombie series, rural Georgia?! how...exciting)

Anyway, I think the zombie game that really got to me the most was Dying Light. I just couldn't get enough of the atmosphere and the story. Though, I do have one big complaint and that's the ending to the expansion (which seems to be the ending to the story altogether). It's like everything you did didn't matter worth shit because it all goes up in nuclear fire anyway. So what was the fucking point? But regardless of that, I just recently read the book that accompanied the original release (yes, there was a book, called 'Nightmare Row') and I HIGHLY suggest you read it if you want something that will move you. Again, even with the book, the main protagonists goal is...questionable. There's some plot holes. But it gives a good rundown of what happened in Harran before Kyle Crane got there. Now, if you do read the book, know that it has a pretty sad ending and that it was originally written in polish by an English-speaking author and then translated over to English (instead of writing it originally in English like logic would dictate) I dunno what they were thinking, so the book has some quirks, especially with putting commas everywhere. Just ignore it, read the story, it's really good.

Oh, and isn't Frank West dead? *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Free Expansion Next Week
11. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Free Expansion Next Week Feb 22, 2017, 14:02 Rigs

dangerman77 wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 10:50:
...I have bounced off of other TW games in the past...

Off topic: That's the fourth or fifth time I've heard that phrase this month. Is this a new phrase? I'd never heard it before and now it seems to be everywhere. What am I missing?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Feb 22, 2017, 13:50 Rigs

So..I'm curious. I'm not a big MMO player, I have a pretty shitty Net connection, but I've had an itch to get into an MMO. I'm not really interested in WoW, I'm not a fantasy-type. AO looks pretty good. I've been thinking about Runescape too. I've tried Archeage and Guild Wars 2 and they're a little overwhelming. I'm just looking for an RPG with trade and player housing, mainly. Maybe some mining if it's available. Any suggestions?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
99. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 22, 2017, 13:19 Rigs

Blue wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 08:43:
Rigs wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 23:38:
Creston wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 21:35:
Yeah, he's a dick. He's a dick to everybody. Get over it. And if you can't, put him on ignore. Not like he gives a shit.

But aren't you then rewarding that behavior through inaction?

No, you combat trolls through inaction. You empower them by getting worked up and reacting.

For once I don't agree. Doing that, in that way, sounds like you don't want to risk touching something because you don't want to deal with the chaos in the aftermath. There has to be a better way. You never fix a problem by ignoring it and hope it goes away.

=-Rigs-=

94. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 21, 2017, 23:38 Rigs

Creston wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 21:35:
Yeah, he's a dick. He's a dick to everybody. Get over it. And if you can't, put him on ignore. Not like he gives a shit.

But aren't you then rewarding that behavior through inaction? Some people take nothing said as approval, especially trolls. There comes a point when something has to be done. I'm not saying banning is the only thing but at some point, somewhere, a line has to be drawn because if not, the problem just escalates.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Halo Wars 2 Released
20. Re: Halo Wars 2 Released Feb 21, 2017, 18:22 Rigs

RaZ0r! wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 16:03:
Watched TotalBiscuit's first impressions. I'm passing on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wafeoOv6C0A

Yeah, I watched that one and the one about the keybinding last night. While I generally have no problem with Mr. British Biscuit (Tally Ho, good chap!) I've noticed that he'll nearly crucify some games and then others that have problems of their own, some much worse, he doggedly puts up with and gives a favorable impression of. I don't know why exactly, maybe it's just because he's human with tastes but there was a point about late last year that I just didn't connect with him anymore and the HaloWars2 vid was the first one I'd watched of his for quite some time. I know he's has health issues but he just isn't as...varied...in his commentary as he once was, I'll put it that way.

Still, it seems HaloWars2 is just more of HaloWars1, which is just fine with me. I really do hope they kept the awesome soundtrack going for the second one. I listen to the first ones often. You wouldn't think an FPS series would have such an grand and compelling soundtrack as Halo does, but there it is. I'm genuinely surprised each time a HALO game comes out by the quality of it's music. Highlights are REACH and ODST, for me, anyway. Since they parted ways with Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori, it's been downhill, IMO. It took me a long time to warm up to Halo4 and 5's soundtrack.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Confirmed?
26. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Confirmed? Feb 21, 2017, 13:46 Rigs

El Pit wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 07:04:
Leper wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 10:51:
Xactly. Those times have long sailed where shit gets cheaper when new shit comes out. Nowadays old shit simply goes EOL outta stock and is replaced by some new (often times more expensive) shit.

There's still plenty of old shit on eBay...

In 2004 I had a bad experience with a CPU I bought on eBay that the seller had overcocked to hell and sold broken. Never again.

Wait, wait, wait...do you want me to point out the flaw in that thinking or....?

You sound like my mother. She has a friend that had one bad experience with buying something on Amazon and now she boycotts it as if it killer her dog. Anyone mentions 'Amazon' and she goes into the story about her friend buying some cheap thing on Amazon and it was the wrong size and broken. Of course, her friend, another senior citizen, also swore off Amazon because of it and didn't try to get a refund because they figured they'd be arguing with the seller from some small Chinese sweatshop and wouldn't be able to get anywhere. Obviously, you can see the problems with this.

I wouldn't say that eBay has gotten 'better' since 2004, but it has gotten easier to spot liars, you just go for the ones with the highest ratings. That may sound obvious but the thing about people with high ratings is they will do anything to keep it and bad feedback is the last thing they want. A lot of them will bend over backwards to help you. I'd say try it again.

=-Rigs-=

89. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 20, 2017, 21:17 Rigs

I just deleted the whole thing, I was in a bad mood all day and kept making changes to it and I decided that I just didn't want to argue anymore. So if he was trying to be nice about it, so be it.

=-Rigs-=

87. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 20, 2017, 21:16 Rigs

Quboid wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 19:35:
I have seen complaints against other people, including Slick. I don't mind long posts as long as there's a reason and not just waffle but that's a bit subjective. With a couple of people (like space captain) I think it's in your best interests to be concise as comprehensive answers just gives them more to misunderstand.

I probably should have put 'almost no one'...in fact, I'll do just that! Thumbsup

=-Rigs-=

84. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 20, 2017, 13:36 Rigs

Tired of arguing.

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2017, 21:22.

15. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Confirmed? Feb 19, 2017, 18:36 Rigs

Slick wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 18:28:
Xero wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 18:23:
Confirm anything!!! I just want some price drops already on the 1070!

If the leaks are to be believed, the 2070 is going to launch soon at a lower price than the 1070, with slightly better performance.

That sounds a little...stupid...to me. Why/How would the 2070 be faster and cost less?

=-Rigs-=

11. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Confirmed? Feb 19, 2017, 16:08 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 14:33:
GinRummy wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 14:23:
is the "ti" version higher or lower specs than the version without?
"ti" versions are normally higher specced.
https://www.quora.com/What-does-Ti-mean-in-NVIDIA-GPUs

If my mind hasn't eroded completely since the last millennium, wasn't 'Ti' just a shortened 'Titanium' from the Geforce 3 and 4 series? As the Q&A stated, they first started with 'MX' (like my Hercules-branded Geforce2 MX card, which was the first 'mainstream' mass marketed 3D card with a low enough price point - $250 for a GF2MX/32mb, that replaced my ageing Rendition-based Diamond Stealth S220/4mb and dual Diamond Monster3D-2-branded Voodoo2's (8mb each) in SLI) but then dropped that in favor of 'Titanium' and then just 'Ti'...from what I remember anyway... *shrugs*

Pigeon wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 16:04:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 15:26:
WTF, so they're changing the numbering scheme again? Why no 1100s?

This is how the marketing executives make it look like they're doing something. 'We need to show the customers how fresh and new our cards are and by that I mean we've refreshed our old new cards. Thus hence forth we shall increase model numbers by the sum of 1000, no more no less. Brilliant yes? Now where's my bonus?'

As much as I hate to admit it, AMD did the same thing with both their 6000-series and then when they carried the 7000-series over to the short lived 8000-series and then on to the R-series. So, for once, nVidia isn't the only sly son of a bitch here trying to get a one up on unwary consumers...

HoSpanky wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 16:04:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 15:26:
WTF, so they're changing the numbering scheme again? Why no 1100s?

It seems unlikely they'd go to a 2000 series, especially since it's not really a big change from the 1000. Dunno. Slick may just be bad at numbers.

It's not his numbers, he listed his source right in his post, did you not see it? Or are you taking a dig at him for the whole 'STEAM 30%'-thing the other day? Confused

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games
27. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 18, 2017, 20:16 Rigs

Slick wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 19:37:
This man has the world's most punchable face.

He looks like the illegitimate love child of Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) and Jon Stewart (Daily Show).

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games
16. Re: On Sale Feb 18, 2017, 18:22 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 17:39:
Rigs wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 17:14:
I think I would be more excited if it was:

'MS Promises DOS Exclusive Games'

Microsoft stopped using the DOS acronym years ago. They call it Command Prompt. So I think you're looking for 'MS Promises Retro Command Prompt Exclusive Games'

I like that even better! A long title like that makes it sound like they're putting REAL effort into it! And it has all my favorite words!

=-Rigs-=

79. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 18, 2017, 17:34 Rigs

Redmask wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 12:52:
>snip childish bullshit trying to be 'edgy'<

You're right about one thing. I'm tired. I should be respectful about time, my own. You sit there and bitch about having respect for the reader, what about the one that wrote it? I'm not getting paid to sit here and play patty cake with your childish ass. So, for now on, I'm not. You can enjoy the vast view from the top of my Ignore list, so I wouldn't bother replying. A look at your posts for the last few days shows I'm not missing much. Say, if I had a choice to be remembered for writing possibly rambling but informative and enjoyable posts or hate fueled, spiteful and ignorant rants spit at anyone that has the unfortunate luck to have you reply to them...well, I think you know which I'd take.

I've tried to be just a lurker before and it sorta worked but as I said, I'm tired. I really do have better things to do than explain my position and defend my opinion in nearly every discussion I get into. Oh! There's me going on with all the 'I's' again...I better shut my mouth before I trigger some 'special' snowflakes...

=-Rigs-=

2471 Comments. 124 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo