Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On September 10, 2002
Founding Supporter Gold, since March 8, 2020
Total Comments 3226 (Veteran)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today

21. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 21:54  Rigs 

Greentiger wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 19:56:
I'm unsure if I'll like Doom Eternal. I'm not a horrible player but the days of me caring about being a "l33t master" are long gone. I appreciate the idea of best wespon for the job gameplay but sometimes I just want to spam the SSG too.

I think the most boring way to play a game - any game but especially FPS's like DOOM - can be summed up as follows: Min-Maxing a character/profile/class

OMG, shove the needle in my eye now because I NEED to feel SOMETHING!

Coincidentally, something like this is why I tend to fall asleep watching those YT videos that are almost nothing but benchmarks of various new games. The game is meant to be played, guys, not analyzed on 40 different @#%&% system configs. (Now before I get a pitchfork up the backside, I realize there's a purpose to it...to a point, which is my point)

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today

17. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 19:54  Rigs 

Well, I watched LGR's review the other day and he was disappointed with it. Which is surprising considering how bad he wanted it beforehand. He thought it was just too 'over-refined' with too much stuff added to it. Like upgrades upgrades for your upgrades. Civvie11 has just about had an aneurysm waiting for it...

I'm not gonna go crazy not playing it right away but I'll get it eventually. I rather liked DOOM 2016. I wasn't obsessive over it and I uninstalled it shortly after beating it because it was taking up over 100 freakin' gigs of hard drive space(!) but it was good for what it was and I guess that's all that really matters.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > 2020 Game Developers Choice Awards Winners

7. Re: 2020 Game Developers Choice Awards Winners Mar 19, 2020, 19:47  Rigs 

This winners list reminds me of the early and mid-90's 'official' games award lists, before gaming went 'mainstream' and publishers like EA were classified as 'triple A'. You'd have games like 'Mario Teaches Typing' winning like best arcade game and MYST pretty much picking up every other category for years interspersed occasionally with something like Madden getting Best Action Game or Best Sound. Then multiple categories taken by 'edutainment' games'...Ah, those were the days, so innocent and naive`...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > F1 2019 Free Week

4. Re: F1 2019 Free Week Mar 13, 2020, 20:13  Rigs 

It's also in Humble's Choice subscription for March (along with AI War, Turok and Fell Seal...oh, and My Friend Pedro).

On a side note, I really wish they'd go more the IndyCar route and put a windscreen up with the rollbar or just make it a sleek cockpit. So many awesome designs they could go with if they took the cockpit approach. The way they have now is silly. Just sayin'...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Free Expansion for Crusader Kings II

4. Re: Free Expansion for Crusader Kings II Mar 8, 2020, 20:06  Rigs 

I've tried so many times to get into this game and...maybe I'm just not cut out for seriously involved strategy games? I want to be but I find myself getting bored quickly. I think once I got into the meat of it and knew how to play, I'd be fine but I can't get thru the skin leather to get to the soft meat...err, so to speak...And it's weird because I used to play Distant Worlds, GalCiv 2 and still play Stellaris all the time...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary Getting New Features

2. Re: Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary Getting New Features Mar 1, 2020, 18:31  Rigs 

Nude patch?! I'd settle for a face reveal. I don't need to see anything else...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2020, 19:47  Rigs 

Is anyone else getting this in Chrome? It just started popping up tonight and Blues is the only site it does it with...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > No Man's Sky Living Ship Released

27. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 20, 2020, 19:10  Rigs 

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 21:51:
Drayth wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 20:56:
There's actually a few other parallels between the two shows than that, but I can't go there without getting all spoilery.
Yeah, I remember reading an article on it. There are many parallels, which in of themselves aren't prove of plagiarism, but it looks pretty suspicious...

Funny this subject came up as I was just reading about this very thing a few days ago for a friend who asked the same exact question. In an effort to find some detailed information one way or another, I ran into this, which seems to be as comprehensive a look into it as anyone could possibly want, or indeed, need.

On a semi-related note, the first place I looked was the B5 Lurker's Guide, which has been the BE ALL and END ALL of B5's production since before the beginning. I, personally, consider it required reading for any self-respecting B5 fan.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2020, 19:21.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 01:29  Rigs 

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 9, 2020, 22:48:
Sorry to hear about your mom -- my condolences. If you mentioned it here before I don't recall it. Good to be closer to your daughter though and getting out of Florida has to be a good thing. Some of my father's family lives down there, but I can't stand the place. Heck, we are practically neighbors -- I'm in Champaign-Urbana, IL.

Thank you. I think I mentioned it shortly after it happened. Since I only had a couple aunts and uncles and a few cousins in Florida, I had no reason to stay. My daughter suggested I come up here and stay around her, she knows well how much I hated being down there. Things have been much better since leaving Florida, I'm head of security at a rail plant in town (I don't actually live IN Paducah, rather about 35 mins south in a small town) and I became a grandfather last May. I'm still getting used to life in the mid-west. I've only ever lived in Jersey and Florida so it's taken some adjustment. But I'm happier now, and I guess that's all that matters...

=-Rigs-=

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2020, 22:28  Rigs 

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 9, 2020, 10:09:
Rigs wrote on Feb 9, 2020, 09:56:
Here in Paducah (KY) we've had no snow the entire Winter. We had about an inch in November, which is technically Fall, and nothing but rain since. It's actually pretty amazing when you think about it...
Wait, wait -- I thought you were in Florida, you moved?

I moved to Paducah in August of 2018 to be closer to my daughter. After my mother passed in May 2018, I no longer had a reason to stay in FL and after 25 years, it was time to leave. My stuff is still down there in storage and I'll have to go down to get it at some point (hopefully sooner than later) but beyond that I never plan to go back to Florida ever again.

=-Rigs-=

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2020, 09:56  Rigs 

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 9, 2020, 06:10:
Cutter wrote on Feb 8, 2020, 21:01:
65C in Antarctica? That is really fucking alarming! Wry

P.S. America, join the rest of the planet and get the fuck on with metric already.

18C is still absolutely insane too And considering the winter we are having in Germany... "mild" does not even being to describe it.. where I live I have to start asking "what even is Winter" it seems. Can't even really think of a winter less wintery than this one.

Here in Paducah (KY) we've had no snow the entire Winter. We had about an inch in November, which is technically Fall, and nothing but rain since. It's actually pretty amazing when you think about it. And pretty damn depressing when you're a snow buff like me. We always get so close, we've even had the radar show snow on several occasions but it was rain by the time it hit the ground. We had a tiny trace the other night and Friday morning but the sun came out around 9am and it was gone within ten minutes flat.

This has only happened three other times - 1951/52, 1956/57 and 1991/92. A little further NE of us in Evansville, IN, they've had, officially, a TRACE of snow the entire season and if that holds for the next three weeks, that will make this Winter the first for them with such a little amount of snow.

Typically in March, like November, things get pretty crazy (see 'Superstorm of '93', which was March 12th-14th), so I still hold onto a tiny bit of hope that I'll see something before the end of the snow season...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Get Carcassonne and Ticket To Ride for Free

5. Re: Get Carcassonne and Ticket To Ride for Free Feb 7, 2020, 00:59  Rigs 

jdreyer wrote on Feb 6, 2020, 23:26:
Whoa, KC:D free next week.

Yeah, no shit, I'm pretty surprised about that one myself! I was actually considering buying it lately, I played some of it and liked it. Would like to play the whole thing. Some people hate the combat but I don't mind it too much. It takes some getting used to but once you do, it's pretty intuitive. The trick is to keep your stamina up and not run out of it in the middle of a fight. Typically if you do, you're almost always going to lose. In fact, I'll actually re-load a save game if it gets real low during an important fight because I know it's pretty much impossible to recover the advantage once that happens. Will be looking forward to installing it again...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steam Sets New Concurrent User Record

1. Re: Steam Sets New Concurrent User Record Feb 3, 2020, 10:57  Rigs 

See, that's the real yardstick, though - the most concurrent IN GAME. Just being online is pretty useless. I keep mine online 24/7, doesn't mean I'm doing anything involving Steam, my system never shuts off unless I'm working on it or it's stormin' really bad (or the power goes out, duh), and I would imagine there's a lot of people who are the same way.

=-Rigs-=

34. removed Feb 1, 2020, 20:28  Rigs 

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 2, 2020, 03:23.

News Comments > Dying Light 2 Delayed

13. Re: Dying Light 2 Delayed Jan 21, 2020, 23:16  Rigs 

Next to HALO, the original IndyCar/Nascar Racing, and X:BTF, Dying Light is tied as my favorite game of all time. I never get tired of it. I've replayed the campaign so many damn times, both original and The Following, always stopping right before the last mission because the ending is total and complete and utter BULLSHIT. Aside from that one thing, I loved every bit of it. They did a lot to make the city of Harran feel real. I guess the second, which to be honest I haven't been keeping much track of, isn't set in Harran and I'm kinda bummed about that. I hope they give clues to it's eventual fate, especially given as one ending has (spoilers) it being NUKED. I don't consider any of the endings 'canon' because it feels like they just ran out of ideas or time or both and took the easy way with a dogshit quick 'out'. No, I'm not going to stop bitching about it, either. After spending as much time on the game as I have and then to have it all pretty much be nullified by the ending? All I can do is wonder WTF were they thinking?

Hopefully this delay isn't too long. And I hope it's not as some have said, indefinite (as in, put on-hold, on the backburner, for whatever reason). That would be a real shame.

I'll take this chance to point out that there was a novel made and released the same time that the game came out and it's pretty good. If you liked the story of DL, you'll probably enjoy the novel. It's called 'Nightmare Row' :

'Nightmare Row' tells the terrifying story of Mel Wyatt, an 18-year-old American athlete who participated in the Harran 2015 Global Athletic Games two weeks earlier. As one of many Americans stranded in Harran as a result of the outbreak, Mel has been surviving with her little brother, Paul, in an isolated hotel their parents were killed on the first day of the Infected attacks on the stadium. Thus begins a tense and ticking time bomb thriller of survival.

Just a heads up, however, that the ending is tragic, to say the least. Then again, I guess during a zombie outbreak, there's really no happy endings.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > XO Early Access

6. Re: XO Early Access Jan 12, 2020, 10:15  Rigs 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 12, 2020, 08:01:
Rigs wrote on Jan 11, 2020, 21:31:
Basically a Battlestar Galactica or Homeworld FTL-like. What's not to love?

This has none of the lore depth, musical masterpieces, emotional punch, or visual fidelity of Homeworld. The only thing this game and Homeworld have in common is the fleet management system and you start with one main capital ship. Even the latter isn't a direct comparison because the Mothership in Homeworld isn't a combat craft. It's an ark.

Also, I hate the vector graphics and I can find a myriad of other titles that provide a fleet management experience. The forced march loop from games like FTL did not, and do not, appeal to me.

I also watched the Space Game Junkie video and the writing in the prompts that came up onscreen is absolutely terrible. Cringeworthy in several that came up.

Ergo...hard pass from me.

Ok. I can see where you'd have issues. I guess it all depends on what our expectations and likes are more than anything else.

Btw, I didn't see Space Game Junkie's video, I was referring to this one by 'RandomiseUser'.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > XO Early Access

4. Re: XO Early Access Jan 11, 2020, 21:31  Rigs 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 11, 2020, 19:18:
Hard pass.

Why? It's much like FTL and the graphical look chosen is very intriguing. I watched a 30 minute lets play and it looks really interesting. Basically a Battlestar Galactica or Homeworld FTL-like. What's not to love?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 9, 2020, 02:40  Rigs 

Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2020, 22:41:
Walt likely blames Australia on arson...

While the original culprit is debatable, the continuation of the fires and the sparking of new ones has been almost exclusively the result of pyrocumulonimbus and lightning strikes from said fire-induced storms...

Almost everyone at CollegeHumor is fired as new owner asks the internet for help. Thanks Neutronbeam.

I'll always remember them for the one and only 'Galactic State of Mind' video. (not to mention Part Deux)

'You're welcome, Obi-Wan, I made you a ghost!'

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

39. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 4, 2020, 22:01  Rigs 

Armengar wrote on Jan 4, 2020, 18:33:
Ive been here a very long time. Lurking from even longer. Ive no issues with blues at all but there are some idiots here who should just go.

I remember when blue put the ignore facility here, it was in the 'spacecaptain' era. He simply kept remaking accounts. Those were the only ones on my ignore list. I have no idea what spacecaptain's account is called these days but I have a hunch.

spacecaptain...that's a name I haven't heard in a looong time, a long time. From my admittedly fuzzy recollection, he turned into fred and then disappeared. Or maybe it was the other way around? Those were the days...

=-Rigs-=

3226 Comments. 162 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >