Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 1014 (Pro)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 D.I.C.E. GotY
28. Re: Fallout 4 D.I.C.E. GotY Feb 19, 2016, 17:03 Squirmer

MGSV is an "adventure game"??  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3
30. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 21:39 Squirmer

In fairness, Doug Church has done even less game development (published anyway) than Spector in the past 15 years. People who have worked with him say he's a genius, but it's a bit hard to judge his ability nowadays. Especially since he's pretty reclusive.  

26. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 17:49 Squirmer

SlimRam wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 17:04:
Squirmer wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 16:59:
SlimRam wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 16:48:
Wait... didn't Warren design Deus Ex: Invisible War DOH!
No.
Yes.
No.

He was the studio director (a separate job, given Ion Storm was working on two games at once at this time). Harvey Smith was the project director, Ricardo Bare the lead designer (both of whom went on to make Dishonored). Spector was very deliberately hands-off during IW's development, and I remember him saying some of the team's decisions made him very nervous.

Harvey Smith freely admits the team fucked up that project btw.

23. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 16:59 Squirmer

SlimRam wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 16:48:
Wait... didn't Warren design Deus Ex: Invisible War DOH!
No.

16. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 16:21 Squirmer

Acleacius wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 16:16:
Iirc, Spector was an outside producer for SS1 (per in game credits and Wikipedia) and not sure he had anything to do with SS2(checked and he has no credits on SS2 Wikipedia, not to mention KLevine has posted here on Blue's stating as much). So not really sure he deserves any credit for the development or success of either System Shock, certainly not SS2.
Spector was making Deus Ex at the time SS2 was in development. The teams on those games had similar backgrounds and influences, which is why the games are similar in a number of ways.

15. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 16:19 Squirmer

Creston wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 14:28:
Should be good, as long as Warren stops with his nonsensical "I'll make a one room RPG and it'll be the best thing you've ever played!" mantra.

It was "one city block", and he said it would be interesting, not the best thing ever. Pretty sure he only mentioned it a couple of times too, it's not a mantra. That Consortium kickstarter running at the moment is basically that idea put into practice.

Anyway, I'm not that excited about this. In most Spector interviews and columns I've read, he seems to be operating about 15 years behind everyone else, repeating criticisms of games that seem a bit old hat now.

I hope he plans to make SS3 a true immersive sim and doesn't pull a Levine by trying to tell a story full of half-baked philosophy or something. But I give more credit to Harvey Smith for the "immersive simness" of Deus Ex, so who knows what Spector will do with this game.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 16, 2016, 19:34 Squirmer

For one thing, Minecraft has done more for the use of games in educational settings than any other game I can think of.  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
12. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 4, 2016, 17:07 Squirmer

Why are you guys so miserable? Are your entire lives like this?  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 3, 2016, 20:39 Squirmer

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Feb 3, 2016, 17:57:
Alexander announces she's leaving games journalism by asking people to Kickstart a book for her Offworld site that was so unpopular, it didn't even make it a year before closing. And it's on track to smash its goal. You can't make this up.
Sounds like enough people want it, then, so what's your problem?

And 750,000 visitors a month doesn't sound unpopular.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Winter Patch
2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Winter Patch Jan 26, 2016, 22:23 Squirmer

Sempai wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 22:15:
Does this mean you can outright fly, or just glide from to the ground from a high place you climbed?
The latter. In the expansion area there are updrafts that lift you up, but these don't exist in the other areas, so you just glide.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 16, 2016, 18:00 Squirmer

The depiction of Aboriginal people is still racist though. You have to consider the political and social climate in Australia, where Aboriginal people are so disadvantaged, with lower life expectancies and poor life opportunities etc. Australian governments have a shameful history. A game like this will always come in for criticism in that climate.

This isn't like fictional "savages" in Rust or similar games. This game purports to show "real Aboriginals" and depicts them as primitive spear wielders etc. In truth, Aboriginal people are teachers, lawyers, business owners, and everything else. Depicting them like the game does is harmful to any attempts to overcome the extreme racism in Australia today. Yeah it's just one stupid game, but if you excuse one stupid game, you can excuse every other instance too.

This is kind of like in Vice City when the game instructs you to "kill all the Haitians", which made Haitian community groups complain. In response, Rockstar altered that text in future versions of the game.

News Comments > HTC Vive Preorders Next Month
7. Re: HTC Vive Preorders Next Month Jan 11, 2016, 20:51 Squirmer

This means you could sit down, eat and continue interacting with others without needing to remove it.

Jesus. VR is such a joke.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Dec 28, 2015, 18:01 Squirmer

The headline is misleading. Should be "he never played the video games ... until he was offered the role and then he did play them."  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
12. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 28, 2015, 16:30 Squirmer

Big numbers, but esports certainly don't have the same cultural cachet as regular sports. You won't see a US president do the equivalent of throwing the first pitch at a LoL match.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Documentary
8. Re: Pillars of Eternity Documentary Dec 21, 2015, 17:32 Squirmer

I just knew there would be one guy complaining about being charged 99 entire cents.  

News Comments > Mafia 3 Footage
35. Re: Mafia 3 Footage Dec 20, 2015, 16:15 Squirmer

I wish they'd return to Mafia 1's more 'simulation' style driving model. Slower cars, no 'stunts', no instant explosions as soon as you touch another car. But I guess that's not possible now that everyone expects 'open world' games to be like GTA.  

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Patch Friday
6. Re: Just Cause 3 Patch Friday Dec 16, 2015, 21:37 Squirmer

Seems exactly the same for me.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 15, 2015, 17:01 Squirmer

OtherSide is basically the remains of Looking Glass, so I suppose they knew better than anyone who had the rights to it.

As for Levine, I don't want him anywhere near this game. The Bioshock games are complete trash and his ego-driven obsession with ~deep story~ would fuck up SS3 as well.

News Comments > System Shock 3 Announced
26. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 14, 2015, 16:38 Squirmer

NKD wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 12:22:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 11:35:
Well I can hold out hope, but I get the feeling it'll be dumbed down for today's idiot generation of console players.

I really doubt they'll be releasing this for consoles. System Shock has no value beyond being a cult classic PC game, particularly as a sequel from a small developer as opposed to a reboot from a large one. Their current game they are working on is also PC only.

That said, you need to "dumb down" for PC as well. A lot of the questionable design decisions of System Shock 2 will not fly today, even for most of the people who actually enjoyed System Shock 2. Such as being able to make it so you can't complete the game, the shitty crafting system, the radically imbalanced skills, etc.

I like what I've heard from Otherside about this kind of thing. I was watching one of their let's play videos the other day, where they play some other games and talk about their design. They were criticizing the modern trend of having a big arrow point to the next objective. They didn't mention names, but they could easily have been criticizing Bioshock. They were mocking that trend even, saying the next step might be a button to teleport to the objective.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 13, 2015, 21:08 Squirmer

JC3 performance has been fine for me. It's good, but my biggest complaint is that too many abilities are locked away and it takes a long time to unlock them. There's no reason why abilities that make the game more fun should require dozens of hours of play to unlock.

You have to unlock the ability to shoot while reeling in, the ability to close your wingsuit, the ability to slow down while wingsuiting, the ability to zoom in while aiming (seriously), the ability to re-grapple while you're reeling in.

It's so stupid because it's just not necessary. The game is fun enough to keep playing with all of this available from the beginning, but they deliberately made the game less fun because they wanted that bullshit psychological hold of making the player unlock abilites.

1014 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo