Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 1025 (Pro)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Kenshi Early Access Beta
4. Re: Kenshi Early Access Beta Apr 1, 2016, 18:20 Squirmer

I like the idea of this game, but I bought the alpha more than 4 years ago, so I'm a bit skeptical it will ever be finished. If it actually works nowadays I might fire it up again.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Mar 31, 2016, 18:09 Squirmer

Beamer wrote on Mar 31, 2016, 11:05:
I don't get why so many people spent a month telling all who would listen that she was a pedophile that shouldn't be at Nintendo are now running back and saying they had nothing to do with her firing and people need to stop claiming they did.

It was literally a month(s) long campaign to make sure everyone around her knew she was a pedophile who was responsible for products consumed by children.

And, if that's true, then no, she shouldn't have had a job at Nintendo, as she was a PR disaster waiting to happen. And it did happen.

Funny thing is, all those Gamergaters probably spend a great deal of time sitting at home jerking off to little anime girls.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 24, 2016, 20:19 Squirmer

If you find that funny you're a simpleton.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 24, 2016, 01:35 Squirmer

You mean because he's a muslim and muslims always blow things up, that's really clever and hilarious.  

News Comments > The Witcher III GDC GotY
15. Re: The Witcher III GDF GotY Mar 17, 2016, 18:05 Squirmer

Quinn wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 13:54:
Never heard of "Her Story" so how award winning should it be? I mean, I'm such a fucking loser I browse game sites every time life allows me and I. Have. Never. Heard. Of. That. Game.

To me, that looks like the gaming community didn't give a shit about that game. To me, that looks like this GOTY jury is another panel of weird, naked artists who base the awesomeness of something on the way the windowsill in the background is painted applegreen or some weird shit like that.

I'm rambling. Very glad to see The Witcher 3 in there though!! Can't wait for Blood & Wine.
Her Story got plenty of coverage when it was released halfway through last year. Search Blues for it and you'll find it mentioned in half a dozen news stories, including a specific post about its release last June.

News Comments > Just Cause 3: Sky Fortress Takes Off
5. Re: Just Cause 3: Sky Fortress Takes Off Mar 15, 2016, 17:45 Squirmer

If you paid $60 for it you didn't shop around very smartly. It was available in many places for about $40 on release day. And if you bought it later when the price was higher (for some reason) you should have seen the reviews suggesting it had problems.  

News Comments > Colin Johanson Leaves ArenaNet
7. Re: Colin Johanson Leaves ArenaNet Mar 5, 2016, 17:48 Squirmer

Thanks for the baseless speculation. Here's some of my own: He got headhunted by Amazon for whatever game/s they're cooking up, along with dozens of other veteran MMO developers from major MMO studios.  

News Comments > No Man's Sky in June; Preorders Underway
12. Re: No Man's Sky in June; Preorders Underway Mar 3, 2016, 23:49 Squirmer

rudra wrote on Mar 3, 2016, 21:02:
nobody has even begun to tackle any kind of "procedural" storyline generation or quest structure...
Except Skyrim 5 years ago with its radiant quest thing. Boring as hell but it was there.

"Procedural storylines" is just approaching it in the wrong way. Games like Crusader Kings 2 and Dwarf Fortress are all about generating stories, and they're amazing. But people usually think of "stories" like in movies or novels, like you need characters with motivations that they communicate in speech and so on. That's what's hard to do with games. But I can't figure out why anyone wants that shit in games. Games already do amazing things (see above examples) but everyone wants them to be more like movies.

News Comments > Dark Souls III Trailer
2. Re: Dark Souls III Trailer Feb 25, 2016, 16:13 Squirmer

That's a very different kind of combat though. Dragon's Dogma is a lot messier. Dark Souls is much more finely balanced, and that would be hard to maintain if players could just hang off the back of a boss.  

News Comments > HTC Vive in April for $799
40. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 21, 2016, 18:56 Squirmer

theglaze wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 18:43:
VR is rushing to mobile phones, high-end PCs, and consoles at relatively the same time...this is unprecedented for any technology (that I can think of), and suggests that it's not just a fad but a shift by the electronics industry on how its consumers interact with future digital media.
This is such an overstatement. One console manufacturer is making a VR device, while Microsoft's augmented reality is just an experiment at this stage. Some mobile manufacturers are making VR gear but whether consumers want to start strapping stuff to their face instead of using their phones in a more sensible way remains to be seen. And VR is expensive as hell on high-end PCs. At this stage it's still just an interesting technology that has a few good niche applications, but suggesting it's a "new era" and people are going to fundamentally shift the way they interact with technology is just silly.

News Comments > HTC Vive in April for $799
33. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 21, 2016, 17:37 Squirmer

A killer app still isn't a guarantee that VR will be "the future". Nintendo had a killer app with Wii Sports, and nowadays they can't shift a console. No one cares about motion controls anymore, as Microsoft discovered very quickly. And yet VR tech is trying to bring it back.

The problem with VR is that once you get past the cool factor of looking around a virtual world, you realize you can't really do much of anything. Turning your head to look around a virtual world is cool, but why make the effort to turn your entire head when you could just move your mouse a few millimeters? Motion controls had the same problem. Cool for a bit, but it's a very limited control scheme.

VR has fad written all over it.

News Comments > Fallout 4 D.I.C.E. GotY
28. Re: Fallout 4 D.I.C.E. GotY Feb 19, 2016, 17:03 Squirmer

MGSV is an "adventure game"??  

News Comments > Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3
30. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 21:39 Squirmer

In fairness, Doug Church has done even less game development (published anyway) than Spector in the past 15 years. People who have worked with him say he's a genius, but it's a bit hard to judge his ability nowadays. Especially since he's pretty reclusive.  

26. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 17:49 Squirmer

SlimRam wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 17:04:
Squirmer wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 16:59:
SlimRam wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 16:48:
Wait... didn't Warren design Deus Ex: Invisible War DOH!
No.
Yes.
No.

He was the studio director (a separate job, given Ion Storm was working on two games at once at this time). Harvey Smith was the project director, Ricardo Bare the lead designer (both of whom went on to make Dishonored). Spector was very deliberately hands-off during IW's development, and I remember him saying some of the team's decisions made him very nervous.

Harvey Smith freely admits the team fucked up that project btw.

23. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 16:59 Squirmer

SlimRam wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 16:48:
Wait... didn't Warren design Deus Ex: Invisible War DOH!
No.

16. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 16:21 Squirmer

Acleacius wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 16:16:
Iirc, Spector was an outside producer for SS1 (per in game credits and Wikipedia) and not sure he had anything to do with SS2(checked and he has no credits on SS2 Wikipedia, not to mention KLevine has posted here on Blue's stating as much). So not really sure he deserves any credit for the development or success of either System Shock, certainly not SS2.
Spector was making Deus Ex at the time SS2 was in development. The teams on those games had similar backgrounds and influences, which is why the games are similar in a number of ways.

15. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 16:19 Squirmer

Creston wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 14:28:
Should be good, as long as Warren stops with his nonsensical "I'll make a one room RPG and it'll be the best thing you've ever played!" mantra.

It was "one city block", and he said it would be interesting, not the best thing ever. Pretty sure he only mentioned it a couple of times too, it's not a mantra. That Consortium kickstarter running at the moment is basically that idea put into practice.

Anyway, I'm not that excited about this. In most Spector interviews and columns I've read, he seems to be operating about 15 years behind everyone else, repeating criticisms of games that seem a bit old hat now.

I hope he plans to make SS3 a true immersive sim and doesn't pull a Levine by trying to tell a story full of half-baked philosophy or something. But I give more credit to Harvey Smith for the "immersive simness" of Deus Ex, so who knows what Spector will do with this game.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 16, 2016, 19:34 Squirmer

For one thing, Minecraft has done more for the use of games in educational settings than any other game I can think of.  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
12. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 4, 2016, 17:07 Squirmer

Why are you guys so miserable? Are your entire lives like this?  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 3, 2016, 20:39 Squirmer

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Feb 3, 2016, 17:57:
Alexander announces she's leaving games journalism by asking people to Kickstart a book for her Offworld site that was so unpopular, it didn't even make it a year before closing. And it's on track to smash its goal. You can't make this up.
Sounds like enough people want it, then, so what's your problem?

And 750,000 visitors a month doesn't sound unpopular.

1025 Comments. 52 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo