Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 1102 (Pro)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Aug 14, 2018, 18:23 Squirmer

It matters because if hate groups are allowed to exist, they recruit more people. No one's born bigoted and hateful, they learn it and they get taken in. It happened to basically an entire country not that long ago...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
33. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 11, 2018, 18:25 Squirmer

Look at this short clip from the day before The Incident, where the streamer praises Jessica Price for her work, and (guess what) her interaction with the community in Reddit AMAs: https://clips.twitch.tv/CrypticMistyStingrayDxCat  

News Comments > IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings
21. Re: IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings Jul 11, 2018, 18:18 Squirmer

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 20:07:
Did you bother to read the logs? He was being very condescending. There was zero respect in any of his threads and his lack of understanding was why it got out of hand. Granted she should have never responded and let it get out of hand like that.
Hold on, are you referring to the most recent situation? The guy she responded to wasn't being condescending. I think his opinion was a kind of ignorant, but he was very polite and just offering his opinion.

There's a video recorded from his Twitch stream just the day before where he was absolutely effusive in his praise for Jessica Price. He had a great deal of respect for her.

She didn't really react to him, she reacted to the collective internet mob of 'mansplainers' and she unfairly dragged him through the coals. Mansplaining is a genuine issue, but his specific posts just didn't justify her reaction.

(For the record I still don't think she should have been fired though. I think there were mistakes made all round.)

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Jul 9, 2018, 23:50 Squirmer

I don't think the devs should have been fired (even GW2 players were very surprised when this happened) but these opinion pieces do seem to ignore just how out of line the dev was. If you jump down someone's throat for politely offering an opinion, there will be some consequences. If the 'rando asshat' had been abusing her, I'm sure there wouldn't have been a problem with the reaction. But he wasn't.  

News Comments > Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat
62. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 6, 2018, 18:34 Squirmer

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 17:17:
Nobody banded together to get her fired.
Yes they did. Within hours this had become the biggest controversy in the game's history. Does a dev snapping at someone on Twitter really justify that? This blew up into something so big only because people turned this into a battle in their anti-feminism war.

News Comments > Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order Revealed
3. Re: Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order Revealed Jun 9, 2018, 19:06 Squirmer

Sounds like a combination of two titles. Surely 'Fallen Jedi Order' makes more sense?

Edit: OK now I've seen it written as Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.

News Comments > Steam Opening the Gates
40. Re: Steam Opening the Gates Jun 7, 2018, 01:26 Squirmer

ventry wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 20:06:
Squirmer wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 19:32:
Let's see how long this lasts when someone releases Pedophile Simulator 2018 and the media gets wind of it.

Reading comprehension fail: "Nothing Illegal"
Pedophilia IS Illegal!

Um, grand theft auto is a crime, but Grand Theft Auto is not illegal. A game about child abuse is not necessarily illegal either, and by Valve's new policy it would be totally fine to make that game and put it on Steam. If Valve wants to their service to be even more of a cesspit, that's up to them, but they'll need to face the consequences.

News Comments > Steam Opening the Gates
17. Re: Steam Opening the Gates Jun 6, 2018, 19:32 Squirmer

Let's see how long this lasts when someone releases Pedophile Simulator 2018 and the media gets wind of it.

And all the people saying "this is good" will not be able to complain when the amount of straight up trash increases tenfold.

News Comments > GDC Pulls Bushnell's Pioneer Award
5. Re: GDC Pulls Bushnell's Pioneer Award Jan 31, 2018, 22:41 Squirmer

IMO what really needs to be acknowledged is that giving an award to Bushnell has nothing to do with any culture in Atari in those days. You can look back at those times and think those cultures were not appropriate and definitely should not return -- and yet still support the award.

This particular case seems silly because (as far as I know) no one who actually worked at the company has ever complained. I get that some people may have felt uncomfortable and never said anything, but that's only a possibility. With no confirmation of that, this whole thing doesn't make much sense.

To be frank, it feels like some people in the games biz just really wanted to get on board the #MeToo train and jumped at the first opportunity. (For the record, I think #MeToo is important and will achieve good things.)

News Comments > GDC Reconsidering Bushnell Award After Backlash
14. Re: GDC Reconsidering Bushnell Award After Backlash Jan 31, 2018, 17:36 Squirmer

Statement from Bushnell:

“I applaud the GDC for ensuring their institution reflects what is right,” Atari co-founder Nolan Bushnell says via Twitter, “specifically with regards to how people should be treated in the workplace. And if that means an award is the price I have to pay personally so the whole industry may be more aware and sensitive to these issues, I applaud that, too. If my personal actions or the actions of anyone who ever worked with me offended or caused pain to anyone at our companies, then I apologize without reservation.”

News Comments > Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support
4. Re: Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support Dec 17, 2017, 15:25 Squirmer

You say "online experiences", I hear "continual revenue stream".  

News Comments > Take-Two Launches Private Division
2. Re: Take-Two Launches Private Label Dec 14, 2017, 16:39 Squirmer

an unannounced RPG from Obsidian Entertainment led by Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, co-creators of Fallout;

Hm, wonder if this means they're not making a Bloodlines sequel then, since Paradox owns White Wolf.

News Comments > EA Says Visceral's Cancelled Star Wars Game Was Too Linear
11. Re: EA Says Visceral's Cancelled Star Wars Game Was Too Linear Nov 29, 2017, 23:39 Squirmer

"It was down to about 80 people, which is sub-scale in our business. And the game they were making was actually being supported by a team in Vancouver and a team in Montreal because of that sub-scale nature.

Judging from that recent Kotaku(?) article about the game, this was EA's fault entirely. Visceral didn't have a bigger team because EA didn't give them the resources to build a bigger team, because game development in that area of the country is ridiculously expensive. The game's fate seemed to be caused by a total failure of management.

News Comments > Nioh Mouse Support This Week
12. Re: Nioh Mouse Support This Week Nov 27, 2017, 15:22 Squirmer

How does this game have 90% positive Steam reviews? Usually a bad port gets slammed. Wolfenstein 2 is only 70% positive mainly because of technical issues, but this game gets a free pass even with no mouse support? Hard to understand.  

News Comments > etc.
16. Re: etc. Nov 21, 2017, 17:12 Squirmer

“Despite its inconvenience to the popular press narrative, if you like Star Wars and play video games at an average rate, you’re far better off skipping the movie and playing the game to get the most bang for your buck.”

Nice example of how disconnected these analysts are from how people actually live their lives and make decisions. Who the fuck calculates price per hour before deciding whether to see a Star Wars movie.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 10, 2017, 21:52 Squirmer

He admitted the accusations are true...  

News Comments > Why Call of Duty Reenlisted in WWII
13. Re: etc. Nov 9, 2017, 16:32 Squirmer

Short version: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 7, 2017, 16:37 Squirmer

Did you read the whole article? There's more to it than nursery rhymes. It's stuff like Peppa Pig eating her father (with blood effects) and drinking bleach. The guy didn't post the worst examples he'd seen.

There's an older video here that covers the same issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLP-P0_VSVc

There are things like needle injections, spurting blood effects, nudity, pissing, shitting. It's the internet. The worst thing you can imagine is out there somewhere.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2017, 17:53 Squirmer

If game devs unionized they could absolutely force publishers to change their practices. Publishers would shit their pants at the mere prospect of a strike. I'm curious what's stopping them.  

News Comments > PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans
24. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 17:13 Squirmer

Curious if those of you complaining about this would prefer they release yearly sequels, EA/Activision style. If not, what would be your plan to actually make money? I thought gamers wanted devs to keep supporting a game instead of abandoning it, but they have to make money doing so. The game's sold a lot of copies, but that doesn't last too long when you're paying wages. And they must have a lot of wages to pay by this point.  

1102 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo