Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for eunichron

Real Name eunichron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eunichron
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 16:54
Total Comments 1789 (Pro)
User ID 13977

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Previews
4. Re: Saturday Previews Jul 8, 2012, 00:03 eunichron

Jerykk wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 23:29:
I don't think either of those games are being released this year.

If they're released by July 2013 they will be.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
5. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 7, 2012, 22:47 eunichron

nin wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 20:56:
Wallshadows wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 20:53:
Pickle jar guy?

Oh lord, there are some things I am grateful for being out of the loop on and I feel this may be one of those things.

I'd not heard of that one, either. But I'm sure as fuck not gonna google it...

Yeah... that one you're better off not even knowing it exists.

Of course, now you know it exists, so you might as well Google it.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
2. Re: Saturday Previews Jul 7, 2012, 20:48 eunichron

Between CoH 2 and R:TW 2, looks like my RTS itch will be adequately scratched this year.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 5, 2012, 15:04 eunichron

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 13:47:
Gruntstein wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 13:41:
eunichron wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 13:22:
That's a joke right? The comparison between a $60 console/PC game and a $2 iOS game is... well, there is no way to compare them, they're not even the same target market or audience. That might be the dumbest statement anyone has ever made, even rivaling Pachter.

You took that statement too literally. He's not saying that every game needs to be dirt cheap. He's saying that there meeds to be more flexibility in pricing on the mext gen consoles if they're to compete with Apple at the low end of the market. He also said that the current pricing model ($60 games) isn't sustainable. His assumption that digital distribution will bring prices down is naive, but his observations are fairly sane.

Except that a $2 iPhone game is no issue for almost anyone to download over the airwaves. A $60 PS3 game weighing in at 14GB? It takes forever, and not everyone has the net connection to get it. In the area aroud my store, only the actual town gets high speed internet. All of the surrounding areas get dial-up. It's about half the population of this area. I;m guessing we are not an isolated case, so making games download only seriously undermines your player base.

Not to mention the increased development costs of a multi-platform AAA title. Take for example MW3 (we can argue about the justification for its $60 price tag based on content, but that's not the point), there's a development team nearly 100 people whose salaries you have to pay, QA teams salaries, development for three separate platforms (Xbox, PS3, PC), ongoing support via patches, DLC, official servers to run, and of course marketing costs. With digital distribution the saved costs in physical media are overtaken by server and bandwidth costs and administration (remember back in 2003 we all thought that Steam would mean lower game prices, but it became pretty apparent that maintaining the systems was just as expensive as preparing game boxes and media for retail sales).

An iOS game might have a development team of a handful of people, usually indie. QA is easier because you're dealing with a single, uniform, system. Marketing is usually by word of mouth, or just on the AppStore itself.

That entire quotation on the relationship between mobile and console games is just completely ridiculous, and makes absolutely no sense.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 5, 2012, 13:22 eunichron

"However, console-makers will need to sell games for $2 or else they will not be competitive with Apple.

That's a joke right? The comparison between a $60 console/PC game and a $2 iOS game is... well, there is no way to compare them, they're not even the same target market or audience. That might be the dumbest statement anyone has ever made, even rivaling Pachter.

As for physical media they probably would not go entirely digital. They will probably do something like what Steam and Origin do; make physical CD keys redeemable on the service (though Origin seems to be better at that than Steam). I really do not think physical media will disappear entirely in the next generation, but it will eventually.

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2012, 13:33.

News Comments > Wargame - European Escalation Free DLC
2. Re: Wargame - European Escalation Free DLC Jul 5, 2012, 13:17 eunichron

Awesome. Really enjoyed this one, picked it up at the last Steam sale. Might have to reboot it and check out the DLC.  

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes
43. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 4, 2012, 23:44 eunichron

Teddy wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 23:22:
Pigeon wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 21:39:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 21:29:
Jivaro wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 20:07:
Lack of randomized maps doesn't help.

Wait, what? The maps aren't randomized?

Some are some aren't, but event he ones that are, aren't like D2s maps.

I found most of the dunegons to be sufficiently randomized, just the outer world that really suffered from the static nature of itself.

The outer world is still very static. Dungeon and quest locations are randomized, but generally only between a few specific spots. Even the rooms and doodads within a dungeon aren't as varied, and after several runs through an area it can be pretty easy to predict where an objective will be. Their layout algorithm doesn't always work very well either. I've had a few dungeons that end up just being straight lines with little or no deviation.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules
19. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 23:39 eunichron

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 16:01:
Cutter wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 15:08:
Co-op is indeed key. It's amazing how much more fun and cool your fellwo players are when they don't have to fight for the same mobs and resources. I'm still blown away by how helpful and friendly the vast majority of people are simply by using this model. It boggles the mind no one has done it long before now. And yes, let's get some more beta action happening asap!

Different Dev mindset. Blizzard devs actually like the player base at each others throats.

The difference there is about 7.5 years of development and game cycles. It was that way in WoW because that is what was expected of an MMO. That's how it was in EQ, DaOC, and AC before WoW. I honestly think that without the player base explosion that WoW received near the end of TBC and during WotLK that these inherent design flaws would have never become apparent. Thankfully, that player base explosion happened and now we know what happens when players and developers start to realize that that kind of game design is not conducive to constructing and maintaining a community of players. From my experiences in the BWEs this is probably the best design decision that ANet made, and will hopefully carry over into future generation MMOs. I love that I can walk up to an event and take part in it with no competition, and even walk away from it with a couple new people to talk to and run around with.

Though, I am also with Cutter in that I think their staunch anti-"trinity" class design decision may be their Achilles heel. Even if they don't want to relegate players to a single class role choice, there are steps they could take for those players that want to play a tank or healer feel more valuable to the game. If they want class roles to be open ended, more player choice is not a bad thing.

News Comments > Total War: Rome II Announced
18. Re: Total War: Rome II Announced Jul 2, 2012, 14:20 eunichron

Mondo wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 13:58:
Jesus Christ, if I read one more of you guys say that about WW1 I'm going to lose it. That happened on the Western Front, and still wasn't the entire war. The Eastern front was open season. You should check out this game Toy Soldiers and see how fun WW1 can be.

I always liked the reporter's bit about dismembered bodies and guts hanging from the trees (I believe he compared it to a Christmas tree). Not bothering to bury the dead because they would just be exhumed by artillery barrages. Guys being ripped, literally, in half by machine gun fire. Entire battalions being annihilated in a single battle. I'd like to see more WWI games, but I really don't think anyone could get it right.

As for Rome II... SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

News Comments > Diablo III RMAH Issues
67. Re: Diablo III RMAH Issues Jul 1, 2012, 21:31 eunichron

This is a long one so I'll just leave out the things I agree with.

MadBoris wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 20:02:
But today, I pretty much dislike the money grabbing industry, different than games. They take money first, sight unseen. The fans that pre-purchase are then connected/invested to the game developers, not the unfinished unseen game. Even if it's not that good on arrival, they won't look themselves in the mirror and say I shouldn't of bought it and leave, no, they are in for at least a short haul as the fan community. Infact, people would have a hard time admitting they made a mistake of pre-ordering if the game isn't all that, they wouldn't want to look a fool. Their is a psychology that comes into play here also where people tell themselves the game is much better than it is, because they paid for it, plus were hyped for it, felt like they made a contribution on beta, etc. Getting people invested mentally in a product before there is a product is just hype, and it's working.

I think you are overestimating the amount of pre-orders that games get. If you take a look at http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders/ it's fairly obvious. These are games that typically sell in the multi-million units. Diablo 3, last figure I heard, has sold 6 million units; it is on that chart with 97,261 pre-orders. Halo 4 is somewhat understandable, since it is a massive franchise that launched an entire line of consoles, and is arguably one of the best gaming experiences of the last decade (I don't particularly agree, it was good for a console FPS, but sub-par compared to its PC counterparts). For myself, I rarely pre-order. This year I had pre-ordered Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2, because I knew when I did that they were games I was going to enjoy (for Diablo 3 I actually didn't consider pre-ordering until after I had gotten a beta invite). I guess the difference is I never set my expectations too high. I got exactly what I wanted, and what I was expecting from Diablo 3. The funny thing is whenever I see anyone criticize the game it is always about the always-on DRM, or the RMAH. I have yet to run across anyone, that just doesn't like ARPGs, criticizing Diablo 3 for the actual gameplay, or at least anyone not grasping to find reasons to hate it. It makes me wonder how many people in this thread would be singing a different tune had the game no internet connection requirement or an auction house of any kind.

How do you hold a developer accountable after a pre-order, or if the promises of the unfinished online game doesn't get the features promised, or if it doesn't get fixed in a patch?

By demanding a refund. Almost every developer, that sells their titles directly, and digital distribution service has a refund policy of some sort. Blizzard's is 30 days for digital sales, no questions asked. I ended up with two copies of Diablo 3, and I got a refund for one. It was quick and painless. If you did not get what you were expecting, if the game is unplayable, it is possible to get a refund. I sincerely wish that everyone that complains about Diablo 3 doesn't just let the game sit on their hard drive while they play forum commando. Get a refund. That speaks more to developers and publishers than any forum post you can make.

Fanbases are developing on hype, even more so, and protecting devs from being accountable with their continued mantra "it will be fixed by a patch, or it will; get better, give them time". As if they know something more than how to defend the dev team that they got in bed with.

Often time it does. It takes some developers more time than others. If I buy a game from Blizzard I know that it is going to have years of timely support (at least 4 patches in a month and a half for Diablo 3... hell, Diablo 1 servers are still up and running, you can't tell me there are more than a few other developers out there with that kind of dedication). If I buy a game from Bethesda I know it's going to be chock full of bugs and issues at first, but 6 months to a year after release it will be in a good state (I'm actually playing through FO:NV this very moment, my first play through, for exactly that reason).

And although my walls on f2p have come down, w/ Tribes for instance. Online only PVP gets damn old when you did it as long as I have.
I'd take LAN gaming of yesterday anyday, it was not about who had the most XP or achievements, that is for sure.

Oh, the great nostalgia argument. "Things were better yesterday." Was it, really? You never competed in Doom with your friends? You never played them in 1v1s in WarCraft 2 over Kali and rub it in their face when you stomped them with bloodlusted ogres? The only difference between yesterday and today is we have visual cues for those bragging rights.

Single Player adventures of immersion for 30-40 hours, with advanced AI and physics have slowed considerably, not because people didn't like them, but people's options and psychology changed.

You say this while Skyrim and ArmA II are still demolishing the sales charts on Steam, while the Modern Warfares are nowhere to be seen. Minecraft is one of the biggest indie smash hits of the last few years. The most acclaimed games these days, among critics and players, are those that you claim people can't handle psychologically.

Sweeney is now talking freemium online only too, no more pressed discs, next gen console.

That is just technological progression. With the popularity of services like Steam, GoG, PSN, and Xbox Live, and the ubiquity of high speed internet, it was only a matter of time before digital became the primary means of distribution.

That is the product of greed, we lost a lot that now is in Microsoft's pocket.

Not sure if you knew this, but the last numbers say the Xbox division had lost nearly $230 million. Yeah, they're still making money, but it's not off their consoles.

Console gamers are usually completely ignorant on game development. That ignorance keeps them in the dark of what a game could actually be, compared to some kid building assets in the game fresh out of gaming school excited about his $14 hr job. There's more pressing buttons today in game development than ever before, it's not being expert in AI or physics logic and coding anymore.

That is more a product of gaming becoming an increasingly accepted hobby. In the late 90s when I was in high school it was uncommon to find anyone in the halls of school talking about video games. I played Age of Empires with my girlfriend, Diablo 2 with most everyone else. Yeah, a lot of people had an Xbox or PS2 when those came out, but it was usually to play Madden or Halo. Now that I'm (almost) 30 with nephews that are 13 and 15, gaming is everywhere. Everyone does it. Even my friends from high school that I still keep in contact with are playing more. It's no longer a social stigma to be labeled a "gamer", because everyone is one now, and therein lies the problem.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 1, 2012, 18:52 eunichron

Kosumo wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 18:47:
Arma 2 and Dayz - Thats alot of beans just spawning in there on the beach to be taken

(Yes, I know, you don't spawn with beans no more)

I've been mulling around the idea in my head to buy it for the last few weeks now, and Combined Operations currently 25% off on Bohemia Interactive's site. The only thing is I have no intention of playing ArmA II, I only want it for Day-Z, but I have this nagging feeling that if I wait for a Steam sale it will be one of the few games that isn't a part of it.

First world problems...

60. Re: Diablo III RMAH Issues Jul 1, 2012, 17:53 eunichron

DG wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 17:34:
Started Inferno today.

Fuck.

I actually got owned by a normal mob. I hadn't figured on needing to use powers on a regular mob. I got through a few champions and two elite packs, but I wasn't expecting to have to use powers on regular mobs.

They die okay enough, I mean, on Hell my enchantress was one-shotting them and now barely scratches them, but they go down in 3-4 swings and she's overdue for an upgrade.

But damn, even a little scrape from a zombie thing takes a chunk of health off. Must be at least 2000hp a scratch? A mob that on Hell couldn't take down HP faster than I could regen it even without the battle cry, now has me running away even with battle cry. TBF maybe I overdid the resistances thing, hence being able to deal with the magic the elites are throwing around whilst getting wasted on physical damage.

Maybe if I farm Hell for a while I could make enough gold to gear up. I guess need to do Hell because so far in Inferno the gold drop doesn't seem to be any better, and a *lot* worse if I can't get nehalem valour. Actually maybe the +115% gold find is another thing I'll have to sacrifice...

But, nope. I work hard enough at work and farming feels like more work, only less satisfying and unpaid. Why the fuck would I do that? Are these guys doing massive amounts of farming in need of a job or what? And no, I'm not going to buy off the RMAH because that's not gaming entertainment either - and it's certainly not good value.

Act I is the easy part, if you can kill Diablo on Hell difficulty, you can complete Act I Inferno.

MF/GF is pretty much useless, unless you're a Demon Hunter or Wizard who can get away with just using a high dps weapon but low stats from gear, but it sounds like you're playing a barbarian. Keep your resists, as a melee they're more important than anything. 300-400 in all resists should be enough for Act I, but you'll want at least 600 for Act II+ (War Cry+Impunity is pretty much mandatory for all Barbarians). Keep your HP above 35,000, and don't neglect your armor value. Your dps doesn't matter as much as long as you can survive. My barbarian only does 7,500 base on his character sheet, but I can clear Act I without issue. A sword 'n' board tank spec would obviously be the safest, but there are dual wield and 2h specs out there that are just as viable (though some of them are a bit clunky to play, especially the dual tornadoes whirlwind spec).

As for "massive amounts of farming" ... well yeah, it's pretty much required. You will not progress through Inferno without farming, but you don't need to go back to Hell to do it, and actually it's more beneficial to do it in Act I.

58. Re: Diablo III RMAH Issues Jul 1, 2012, 17:34 eunichron

William Usher wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 17:26:
MadBoris, you just won some internets.

Wow. Well said. You summed up everything that's wrong with today's gaming industry.

Sounds to me like he just hates video games. He might want to try a different, less stressful, hobby, like raising goldfish.

55. Re: Diablo III RMAH Issues Jul 1, 2012, 16:55 eunichron

PHJF wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 15:41:
People forget that in Diablo 2 that unless you traded for gear (or if you were playing on open B.net and people were just handing out hacked/duped items like candy), you had to farm for it.

In Diablo 2, one could complete the entirety of the game naked if one knew what one was doing.

*As a certain class at a high level with a specific cheese build

Don't even bother mentioning those EU hardcore guys. They weren't playing vanilla Diablo 2.

49. Re: Diablo III RMAH Issues Jul 1, 2012, 13:12 eunichron

Pigeon wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 12:41:
RailWizard wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 11:46:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 05:44:
Darks wrote on Jun 30, 2012, 23:04:
Personally I hope the RMAH goes away permanently. It has absolutely destroyed the game.

And I hope Blizzard gets their asses sued off.

How has it destroyed the game? I voted with my wallet and didn't buy this (will play TL2 instead), so I'm wondering. If you don't spend actual money will you be way underpowered?

1. It's pretty much a miracle if you find something that you can actually use.

2. At lvl 60, good items cost anywhere from 12million gold to 21 million. People ask this much to get you to either buy gold and/or buy items off the RMAH. Unless you game the ever loving shit out of the AH(10 whole items at a time...), or buy gold from the shitsucking farmers, good fucking luck amassing that much gold.

3. Items on the RMAH will be $100 USD and upwards. There is a 'recommended upgrades' section on the RMAH... For my lvl 60 wizard, it's page after page of stuff costing $100 to $250. Items...in a video game!

If this was Diablo 2, you could pretty easily ignore the AH(if it had one), but in D3, set items are insanely rare(I've never found one, and know nobody that has), more rare than legendary items....and you've probably read news about drop rates for rares being upped, but it still sucks, and inferno is still way harder than D2's highest difficulty. Harder + less reward so we get desperate and hit the AH or RMAH.

Prices were somewhat bearable before the RMAH came along, then they hit low orbit and beyond. To the moon! Plus we have heavy repair costs now. ~3000g per death, and you WILL die, lots. Crafting a lvl 60+ item is ~50,000g. You might craft 100 items and they will all be shit. Combining a gem above the ones that drop in inferno = 30,000g. I don't even want to know what the higher tier gems cost.

It's basically a gold farmers wet dream economy, and Blizzard is right there grinning and drooling along side them.

This

Also I think the game design really pushes reliance on the AH. Essentially the mechanics of bosses don't get harder, they just hit harder, have a lot more health, and many have enrage timers. So even if you're good avoiding attacks (skill) while you slowly shave off the boss's health you'll be screwed if you can't do it fast enough. Thus you need gear that's good for survivability and DPS, which is few and far between.

I've been farming act II for about 2 weeks now, a few hours a day, and have gotten 1 'sort of' upgrade. The rest I try to hock on the AH to cover my repair costs. I've been banging my head against Belial, and I've come to the conclusion that I just don't have the DPS atm, and AH upgrades that would make a perceptible difference are in the 6+ million range.

I did find a set item and managed to sell it for 3 million, but that's really not enough to get the good upgrades I'd need.

Also despite their pride in a flexible skill system, they punish players for changing skills by removing Neph Valor stacks. Which seems contrary to all of their 'stated' gameplay goals. /rant

Farm Act I. It is way easier, and much more profitable. In one night I geared out my Demon Hunter and got a few upgrades for my Barbarian, and sold a couple worthwhile items on the RMAH. I haven't touched the AH (gold or otherwise), and I'm progressing through Inferno just fine. The AH's are only there for people without the patience to farm, and in that regard they have not ruined the game. People forget that in Diablo 2 that unless you traded for gear (or if you were playing on open B.net and people were just handing out hacked/duped items like candy), you had to farm for it. I can't even remember how many days weeks or months I spent doing Pindleskin, Mephisto, and Baal runs. Diablo 3 is no different. In the last Diablo 3 news piece here I posted three links to a Reddit discussion about farming routes, follow those links. Do that route 3-4 times a night, and I guarantee you will be able to gear out at least once of your characters within a couple days, without even thinking about the AH (except for things to sell).

12. Re: Diablo III RMAH Issues Jun 30, 2012, 20:01 eunichron

rist3903 wrote on Jun 30, 2012, 19:44:
I have seen auctions for 0.0 before. Didn't bid on them, because I strictly sell on the RMAH and they looked fishy.

TANSTAAFL

Yup. Anyone who is familiar with the RMAH knows that it's not even possible to list an item for less than $1.25 (actually not sure if it's $1.25, but I am 100% certain it is at least $1, since that is Blizzard's cut regardless). If you see an item listed as $0.0 then it is either bugged or lagging and not updating properly.

As for the other guys; The guy losing his B.net balance really sucks. If he is telling the truth, he should have been smarter about his move, though there is absolutely no reason why anyone should lose their B.net balance just because they moved out of their original region. It's not that hard to convert USD to EUR or GBP, my credit card does it automatically whenever I order something from Europe, as does PayPal. There is no excuse for such an oversight.

The other one who claims he never got paid... well, http://i45.tinypic.com/20hu4c1.jpg

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 30, 2012, 00:03 eunichron

There's nothing contrary or cognitively dissonant about liberal corporatism in the US. Both sides are in corporate pockets. If you buy into either side of the media propagated liberal vs. conservative, little guy vs. big guy, grass roots vs. establishment bullshit then you're extremely naive.  

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Drivers
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 21:04 eunichron

DG wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 17:19:
Because they're all exactly the same chips. They're often all the same PCB also, especially at launch. Not sure on the position now, but years ago Sapphire used to be the one actually making a huge chunk of all cards.

They've always been the same chips, but it used to be, at least in my recollection, that card retailers tended to optimize the pcb designs, use different memory, different clocks speeds, etc. It was a great way to see if some retailers were really overcharging for their custom cards, or if there were cards there were much greater value (i.e. 5% more performance for the same or less cost).

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Drivers
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 15:25 eunichron

Rigs wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 14:08:
So, let's get some opinions in here of the 'real world' improvements. I'm curious if anyone sees any kind of speed enhancements with older cards, like my HD5770

I'll be getting a huge real world improvement over my HD5870 soon when I buy a 670GTX. I was a huge Nvidia fanboy since my GeForce2, and the 5870 was the first time I deviated. Despite what an awesome card it is/was, I think I'll be going back to Nvidia.

An aside, whatever happened to hardware roundup reviews? You know, when reviewers would get 10+ pieces of the same hardware from different vendors and pit them against each other to find out which was the best bang for the buck, highest performing, most stable, what have you. They seem to be non-existent these days.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 August 28th
40. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 22:07 eunichron

Cutter wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 21:49:
eunichron wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 19:57:
Can't wait.

My only fear is that, while I know there will be mountains of content while leveling, that 'end-game' will be all about WvWvW and SPvP. Which isn't necessarily bad, I had a blast playing WvWvW in the last BWE... but I don't want that to be all that there is.

Yes, but that's all any MMO is. That's why Neverwinter was on the right track at least. You need user created content to keep it fresh.

True enough. At the very least if I end up getting bored of GW2 once I hit max level on a few chars, it will only be $60 out of my pocket, and $60 well spent.

1789 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo