Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for eunichron

Real Name eunichron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eunichron
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 16:54
Total Comments 1789 (Pro)
User ID 13977

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
65. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 16:49 eunichron

How about Mafia II for the flash sale? I loved Mafia 1, but largely ignored Mafia II, but for $7, is it worth it?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 15:51 eunichron

Beamer wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 15:49:
NegaDeath wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 15:33:
ASeven wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 15:13:
Dev wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 15:09:
ASeven wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 14:06:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 13:59:
Ooh meta Steam badges to earn... Looks like I already have three. What do I win

Some meta Steam badges.

What badges? I don't see any?

Need to go to your profile page, look at the right side.

Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

....oh cool I have 3 badges.

1 more than me!
I had no clue they existed. No real desire to collect more.

Yeah, I only have 2 also... 7 years of service and Holiday 2011 sale. Unless there's a reason to acquire them, I'm giving about 0 fucks about them.

10. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 14:05 eunichron

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 13:53:
I am strong. I will not spend. I am in control of my wallet.

*breathe*

I am strong. I will not spend. I am in control of my wallet.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains. The stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2012, 13:53 eunichron

Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 13:48:
Read an interesting article a while back which quoted David Simon on how no one watched The Wire while it was airing but everyone is watching it now on DVD and calling it "the best ever". He was pretty honest about how it irks him since it was a battle justifying it's continued run on HBO due to low ratings. Credit to them for keeping it going as long as they did and giving it a proper conclusion.

Honestly I think they ended it right at the perfect time. As much as I loved the show while watching it, I don't see how they could have done much more than what they already had. They attacked police departments, politicians, the media... where else could they have taken the show other than a national/international setting? I think if they had tried to take it to a national setting in another season it just would have lost its scope and ultimately failed to deliver.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2012, 13:40 eunichron

Beamer wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 13:35:
Steam sale up, Steam site down.

I just noticed it as well. ArmA II: Combined Ops 20% off, time to jump into DayZ.

It looks like BI's website has Combined Ops for 25% off, but because their direct price is a few bucks more than Steam's, buying it from Steam ends up being about $1 cheaper.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2012, 13:34 eunichron

Cutter wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 13:20:
eunichron wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 12:55:
I must be the only one that didn't like Deadwood. Maybe I didn't watch enough of it, but the episodes I saw were just a bunch of cowboys saying "fuck" and "cocksucker". Not exactly quality television in my opinion.

No, you're right. It was vastly overrated. I thought it was pretty childish myself. Over sensationalized violence and cursing was all it was. Which is super if you're a teenager but leaves a more mature crowd wanting. Real gems were shows like All in the Family and Northern Exposure. I suppose it's why the vast majority of my TV watching habits are centered solely on documentaries. I don't think I've seen anything since the two aforementioned shows which I would consider real quality television when it comes to fiction. In fact, it's all gotten considerably worse overall.

Eh, was never a huge fan of sitcoms either. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was the last one that I really enjoyed, if only because it was so over the top in its filth and depravity.

I would second Sepharo's recommendation of Breaking Bad though. Bryan Cranston has done a phenomenal job with that show. I'll also toss out The Wire, easily the best television I've seen in a long, long, time.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2012, 12:55 eunichron

MajorD wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 11:26:
Deadwood....man, that has to be my all-time favorite TV series. As popular as it was, and as much as everyone loved it, it just amazes me they couldn't/wouldn't keep it going. It's bitter-sweet, because every time I watch the series and I get towards the last few episodes of season 3, I start getting bummed out......

I must be the only one that didn't like Deadwood. Maybe I didn't watch enough of it, but the episodes I saw were just a bunch of cowboys saying "fuck" and "cocksucker". Not exactly quality television in my opinion.

News Comments > The Witcher Hits 4M Sold
9. Re: The Witcher Hits 4M Sold Jul 12, 2012, 01:50 eunichron

Jerykk wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 01:39:
VGChartz is not a reliable source at all. They pull numbers out of their ass without citing any sources.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the Xbox version didn't sell very well. Nine times out of ten, a delayed port will not sell well, regardless of platform. This is why Ubisoft is retarded for delaying all their PC ports. This is also why CD Projekt's future games will be launched simultaneously on all platforms.

That and the Witcher series still seems to be kind of niche. I still find PC players who haven't even heard of it. Compared to other series, TES being the first one that pops into my head, it just doesn't have the name recognition.

Still great to hear they're doing well though, they're doing awesome things all across the board and are really pulling no punches with support for PC players.

News Comments > Source Filmmaker Open Beta
19. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 17:09 eunichron

Krovven wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 16:13:
/facepalm. I don't think you know what IP (Intellectual Property) even means.

Narbacular Drop is an Intellectual Property. Portal is an IP. Left 4 Dead is an IP. Counter-Strike is an IP. Half-Life is an IP. These are all ORIGINAL IP's based on other game concepts.

Very little in the industry at this point is actually "original".

Your CoD example is like saying Half-Life isn't an original IP because it's a first-person shooter, and wasn't the first.

Basically at this point you are grasping at anything to support your weak argument, and you just look dumb doing it.

Companies hire people to get their creations. Sometimes they have already created something before hired, sometimes after, sometimes it's just a proof-of-concept when hired, etc. Narbacular Drop was a STUDENT project, not made by a company. They hired those students to expand on their ideas, while incorporating some of their experienced existing staff into the design process.

TF guys were just random guys, not a company, that were all hired by Valve. Counter-Strike & DoDs same thing. Turtle Rock was absorbed by Valve after years of just making stuff for Valve anyways.

So no, they are not like EA at all. They don't buy out companies then shut them down 6 months to a couple years later. Valve has NEVER done that.

So why fault a good company for hiring talented people and allowing those people to make a great living off their ideas?

I had no idea you were as much a Valve fanboy as you were a Blizzard fanboy.

I was wrong, Valve are the saviors of PC gaming!

7. System Power Draw App Jul 11, 2012, 15:54 eunichron

Off-topic from anything here but maybe someone will know...

There is a program that lets you input your PC hardware and it will tell you how much power is required to run it, for choosing a PSU. Anyone remember what it is? I had it several months ago but can't remember the name. I was just about to order some upgrades along with a new PSU, and I want to make sure that I get one powerful enough for my project.

Nevermind! Found it. This is what I was looking for; http://psucalc.net/

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2012, 16:08.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Beta Nears
9. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Nears Jul 11, 2012, 13:56 eunichron

Sweet. I don't know about lowering my convictions enough to sign up for Twitter to get a key... but what the hell, I've done worse for less before.  

16. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 13:42 eunichron

Undead Scottsman wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 13:25:
"For the record" YOU are the one who brought up the metric of Portal being their most recent new IP, not me. Either it counts as a new IP or it doesn't: you can't have it both ways.

Although, to be fully honest, your stance on it's origin is pretty wrong. Narbacular Drop is not Portal. It shares none of the setting, characters, story or advanced mechanics of the Portal games, all of which were developed internally at Valve by Valve staff on Valve's payroll for Valve's use, It just shares a mechanic and nothing more.

And again, make up your mind: Do they need to make new IP's to be a real game company or do they need to put out a sequel to the game series that YOU happen to like, which is for some arbitrary reason immune to this "no new ip's means you're hardly a game company" thing.

Uh, no. Half-Life 2: Episode 2 was also released in 2007, their last release of an original IP that I was referring to, and Valve bought out the entire development team that made Narbacular Drop, who then made Portal under the Valve name. If you have seen or played Narbacular Drop in any form the similarities should be obvious. To say that they're not the same is like saying CoD4 and CoD3 aren't the same just because CoD4 has a modern setting.

What Valve does is absolutely no different from what EA does; buy out development teams to make games for them. So I will reiterate, Valve is not a game company, they are a publisher and service provider (Steam), and considering that they had originally announced that Half-Life 2 would be a four part game (the core release plus three episodes), it is still a dick move of them to withhold the rest of the series without explaining why.

Before you come back and say that "Episode 3 was never officially announced so it doesn't count," it was; Here, in 2006.

10. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 04:54 eunichron

Undead Scottsman wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 04:21:
Wait... You say they're not a gaming company because they haven't made a new IP since 2007 and then say it's a douche move they haven't put out a particular sequel?

Also, Valve was never big on 'new IP.' After Half-Life and all the way to Portal, the only new IP they released, that wasn't a new version of a preexisting mod, was Ricochet in 2000. Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, and Day of Defeat all existed prior to Valve acquiring them, and all of Valve's other releases were either NEWER versions of those mods (CS/DoD: Source) or new Half-Life sequels/addons (HL2, Ep1). It wasn't until Portal in 2007 that they put out a new, full IP that wasn't a two level tech demo.

Yes that is what I said. What is hard to understand about it? They abandoned their only original IP without finishing it, and without any confirmation that they either A.) Are working on Episode 3 (or Half-Life 3, I think it's pretty obvious that releasing Episode 3 at this point is inconceivable), or B.) Have given up on making original games of their own and instead prefer to focus on buying out/publishing mod/indie teams and improving the Steam platform.

For the record Portal is not original either. It started out as an indie release, bought out by Valve, and re-imagined as Portal. The setting changed between games, but the basic design and mechanics are essentially the same.

8. Re: Source Filmmaker Open Beta Jul 11, 2012, 03:02 eunichron

Beelzebud wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 02:40:
Valve: Great game company, or greatest game company?

Not when Jason Holtman is saying, "We hardly make anything anymore." source.

Yes, I understand the quote in context is in reference to TF2, but when you consider that Valve hasn't released an original IP since 2007, I would hardly call them a game company. They're more of a publisher and tools-provider at this point. Hell, they're pretty good at it, but it's a pretty douche move to just drop the game that made them successful at a cliffhanger in the series.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
37. Re: Diablo III Patched Jul 10, 2012, 17:52 eunichron

Dades wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 17:07:
eunichron wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 16:41:
It's like Diablo 3 tried to take the genre a few steps forward (whether they succeeded or failed is purely subjective),

Where did Diablo III try to take the genre forward? It has less features than its predecessor and please don't play the streamlining card. All that Diablo III accomplished was rubberstamping real money transactions for the industry as a whole. I can't think of anything else it brought the genre in terms of innovations. Most of the other gameplay concepts came from other games. The online functionality has been a nuisance as much as its been helpful.

How is streamlining not a valid card to play? It puts more focus on the action, and less on whether or not you have built your character correctly. As much as people like to claim that Diablo 2/LoD had more character customization, no one likes to talk about how their first few characters were totally useless because they put a skill point or stat point in the wrong ability or stat. The truth of the matter is there are just as many, if not more, skill combinations in Diablo 3 than there is in Diablo 2, and it is less punishing on players who make the wrong, or less optimal, decision. Whether you believe it or not there are a multitude of builds that are successful in Diablo 3, including melee wizards, ranged barbarians... hell I've even seen people mess around with melee demon hunters to some degree of success. Just because you choose to believe that Diablo 3 somehow has less customization in the name of streamlining does not make it true. It took the focus off of potion chugging (which PoE and TL2 are still grasping onto for whatever reason). Potion chugging sucks. I hated it in Diablo 1 & 2, I still hate it now.

As for the "end game" (I mean, really? Who the fuck talks about end game in an ARPG? It's an item hunt graphical Skinner box, nothing more, it doesn't need end game), the item hunt worked well enough for Diablo 2 for 8 or 9 years. It wasn't until patch 1.13 that they added the Uber Tristram event... in 2010. That could be construed as a lapse of judgment on Blizzard's part, but the game is not even two months old yet, there's still time for them to add content either through DLC, an expansion, or patch as Blizzard is wont to do.

As I said, whether or not their design choices were successful is purely subjective. They could have played it safe and made another Diablo 2 clone as Runic and Grinding Gear have opted to do, but then I'm sure if that was the case these forums wouldn't be full of people bitching about how the game is just Diablo 2 in 3D (that was sarcasm in case you didn't catch it). Oh wait, since you guys seem completely content with TL2 and PoE, maybe all you do want is Diablo 2 in 3D?

25. Re: Diablo III Patched Jul 10, 2012, 16:41 eunichron

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 15:46:
eunichron wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 14:59:
Axis wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 13:53:
Glad I got to beta this pile of garbage. I put my money towards PoE and the devs who actually show passion for the genre.

You put your money toward a F2P game that's still in beta?

Either you're not very smart, or you're trying way too hard in your attempts at trolling.
A F2P game that's still in beta, yet still quite good, and cost 1/6 of what D3 costs to get early access. The devs there actually seem to know what they're doing, so the game will likely have a lot more longevity than D3 too.

I've been in the PoE beta for a couple weeks (no, I didn't pay to get in), and I guess I just don't see it. The skill web is a neat idea, albeit a little overwhelming, and I like that they've completely converted the economy to a barter system, negating the need for a gold treadmill/sink. The ability gem idea was cool, but the skills are just so... generic and lackluster.

It's like Diablo 3 tried to take the genre a few steps forward (whether they succeeded or failed is purely subjective), while games like PoE and TL2 are perfectly content with early 2000s design choices. Overall I've put maybe 160 hours into Diablo 3... never did kill Diablo on Inferno difficulty, but I chalk that up more to lack of time than lack of interest, and I've made my money back through the RMAH. I wouldn't call the game a failure by any means, but I doubt I'll go back to it until the inevitable expansion. In the meantime PoE and TL2 just don't grab my interest (though I am still putting a few hours into PoE every week to give the devs bug reports, because I would like to see it succeed). However, I am really looking forward to Grim Dawn, especially after I picked up Titan Quest again a few months ago.

12. Re: Diablo III Patched Jul 10, 2012, 14:59 eunichron

Axis wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 13:53:
Glad I got to beta this pile of garbage. I put my money towards PoE and the devs who actually show passion for the genre.

You put your money toward a F2P game that's still in beta?

Either you're not very smart, or you're trying way too hard in your attempts at trolling.

News Comments > DayZ Plans: Dogs Soon; Standalone Version Eventually?
31. Re: DayZ Plans: Dogs Soon; Standalone Version Eventually? Jul 8, 2012, 22:19 eunichron

Bet wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 21:37:
Beamer wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 19:58:
I want to play, regardless, but it's the difference between buying this week or waiting for a sale that may or may not come.

The only way the sale won't come is if the world ends. Do you know something the rest of us don't?

Although the Steam sale is guaranteed, that ArmA II: Combined Ops will be a part of it is not certain. I'm in the same boat as Beamer. I really want to try DayZ, but I have absolutely zero interest in ArmA II, so I'm waiting for a sale to justify paying for a mod.

News Comments > DayZ Plans: Dogs Soon; Standalone Version Eventually?
15. Re: DayZ Plans: Dogs Soon; Standalone Version Eventually? Jul 8, 2012, 17:50 eunichron

RailWizard wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 17:12:
Dev wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 16:01:
RailWizard wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 15:18:
DangerDog wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 15:14:
Now watch as everyone and their dog try to emulate their success.
It's going to be sickening, yes.

It shouldn't be much of a surprise. People like sandbox (see minecraft and sims). People like zombies (see like everything).

Combine them for profit.

No definitely not a surprise. Not in the slightest, but then, I never said it was.

What surprises me is that it took so long for someone to do it. Sandbox + Zombies just seems like a no-brainer to me.

8. Amazon Shipping Jul 8, 2012, 00:54 eunichron

I gotta agree with that bottom comment... who the fuck orders Sharpies, and only Sharpies, on the internet? Maybe I'm spoiled living 2 miles from an Office Depot, but wow, what a massive waste.  

1789 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo