Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for eunichron

Real Name eunichron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eunichron
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 16:54
Total Comments 1789 (Pro)
User ID 13977

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit [Updated]
47. Re: Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit Jul 23, 2012, 19:31 eunichron

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 17:56:
De-Leveling system that encourages higher levels to aid lower levels or allow friends that don't level as fast to stay engaged

This is, in my opinion, a terrible feature that I wish they had not left in. It removes any sense of character progression. What does my level even matter if my level is always automatically adjusted to fit the zone I'm in? I would have preferred a full skill-based system like UO's, or even a hybrid system like TES/Skyrim. There's just no point in having character progression marked by levels if the levels are meaningless.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
28. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2012, 00:50 eunichron

Hey Dev, you had asked for my impressions on Sword of the Stars II, and I was able to put some time into it today. I can now give you my wholly inadequate first impressions after a couple hours of play.

First off the game is woefully intimidating and overwhelming. There is no tutorial to speak of, all that exists is a single tutorial screen that points out some UI function. However if you are familiar with the 4X style (and the typical RTS games that Paradox publishes) it shouldn't take you long to figure things out on your own. It has the advantage of being entirely turn based without time limits (unless you impose one yourself) so you can take your time in your first few turns to poke and prod around the seemingly limitless scope and depth of the game.

All interaction with the systems is done through fleets. Survey fleets, construction fleets, colonization fleets, and of course combat fleets. For example to construct a space station around a planet you must have a construction fleet available. As a result fleet management becomes a huge factor in your success as you must balance what fleets you build in relation to your goals (economic/political/military).

Economic and social/political policies are all controlled via sliders, some which are linked together. For instance under economics you can balance Government vs. Research, moving the slider towards Research increases your scientific development and research rates, while moving it toward Government increases your social and diplomatic policies. There are then subcategories of Government and Research like Security, Stimulus, and Savings, and even more subcategories of those like Operations, Intelligence, Colonization, Special Projects... moving the individual sliders for the subcategories directly affects the others (i.e. increasing Security funding reduces Stimulus, Savings, and Research funding). The ratios aren't 1:1 (or 1:1:1) so it is possible to play around with them to get different results.

Building and researching certain stations has an affect on your political and social policies as well. There is even a two-dimensional X,Y graph that shows you your political and social standing, and the bonuses received for certain construction. Focusing more on government structures gives you more Authoritarian bonuses, while focusing on expansion and exploration gives you more liberal bonuses.

The one thing I did not get to try is combat. In the couple hours I played I hadn't even run into another race, and I was playing on an average sized map with 4 other AI. It's not that the maps are particularly massive, it's more that expansion and exploration was rather slow. Though that could just be due to my noobness and still not fully understanding the mechanics of the game.

Customization... everything is customizable. Your race, your ships, your fleets (even down to their formations). If you enjoy that sort of thing you could probably spend hours just playing around with all the different possibilities.

Now the big part, as I said previously the game got mostly scathing reviews because of it's nearly unplayable status at launch. It was entirely playable, I had no crashes, and I didn't encounter any bugs or glitches.

There are some good LP videos up if you want to see it in motion. If you were interested in the Paradox bundle I'd say go for it without hesitation... for the $17.99 by itself I would say only do it only if you're a hardcore fan of the genre as the accessibility is so low it's in the basement. If you want something more accessible and easier to just pick up and play I would say jump on Endless Space if it's lucky enough to get a sale.

News Comments > Battlefield 3: Armored Kill Trailer
1. Re: Battlefield 3: Armored Kill Trailer Jul 19, 2012, 20:55 eunichron

Now that's Battlefield.  

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III
22. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 11:35 eunichron

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 11:31:
Steele Johnson wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 11:24:
Blizzard is now my new "one trick pony" developer. WoW was a huge success and they've proved that their new games aren't at the same level of quality or enjoyment. $60 for a thrown together hack-n-slash; I feel like such a sucker for purchasing it. An indie developer could have done a better job in a shorter period of time and put a price of $15 on it.

Wouldn't it at least be a three trick pony with Warcraft, Diablo and World of Warcraft?

Diablo 1 & 2, WarCraft 1, 2, and 3, StarCraft 1 & 2, and the first 4 years of World of WarCraft... I think that makes them a 7.5 trick pony.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2012, 16:11 eunichron

briktal wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 15:42:
Letís say thereís a new film out in a few weeks that was filmed under the following unusual contractual condition: if the Rotten Tomatoes rating isnít above 80% after a week or two, the writer and director donít get paid royalties. Or say a new band signs to a record label, and the label refuses to pay a signing bonus unless their first album gets 5 stars in NME, the Guardian and Kerrang as well as an 85+ on Pitchfork.

Do you know why this doesn't happen? Because people in those industries aren't suckers.

I think it has more to do with the age of the industries. The games industry, as we know it today, is relatively young compared to the movie or music industries. Given more time developers will start to wise up and stop putting up with publisher's bullshit metrics.

News Comments > BF4 Beta in Fall 2013: MoH Not Required
29. Re: BF4 Beta in Fall 2013: MoH Not Required Jul 18, 2012, 14:29 eunichron

007Bistromath wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 13:27:
You know, I like BF3. It could be better, but I like it.

But for some reason, it feels... really good to just not give a goddamn about BF4. Announcing it so soon after BF3 just makes it feel like the right thing to do.

Besides, those bastards teased 2143 in BF3. I won't forgive them until they cough up the goods. And it better not be some console practically-a-map-pack horseshit like 1943. I want 2142 with the engine problems that held it back unscrewed.

Yeah, I know. DICE doesn't make functional game engines, just good games for their broken ones. Shut up and let me dream.

For all we know, and this is my personal hope, BF4 is just the codename for BF2143.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2012, 13:55 eunichron

Prez wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 13:48:
Hatred of The Old Republic is irrational? I thought it was terrible. Absolutely, utterly terrible. And I can list at least two dozen reasons why, which makes it not so irrational in my book.

It was pretty bad, but was it so bad that it warranted going to Metacritic and purposely bombing it with 0 score reviews? Is any game that bad for that matter? That's the irrational part.

The only way Metacritic could combat that is to have some way to verify that the user owns the game, but there's no easy way to do that for a 3rd party website.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2012, 13:30 eunichron

As much as I want to jump on Creston's IGN hatewagon, the article has a point, though, not by the means they were talking about.

Metacritic is made up of two styles of reviews; professional (and I use that term extremely lightly) reviewers, and user reviews. The professional reviews can be swayed as we have seen in the past through extortion by marketing and outright corruption, or the reviewers are just simply bad reviewers, not much better than the standard User review on the website. User reviews are usually day-0 reviews that follow the flavor of the week, and are purely subjective. There are games where there is a loosely organized effort to bomb the Metacritic score simply because of a single feature (Diablo 3) or an irrational hatred of the title (SW:TOR), or because of shoddy business practice (Mass Effect 3), and in all cases it is regardless of the actual quality of the game itself.

In both cases the reviews can't be trusted. They are not an accurate representation of the game itself, and instead become a reflection of the floundering relationship between publishers and reviewers, or the irrational vitriol of gamers on a crusade. It is in that regard that Metacritic is ruining the games industry, but only as long users put any value on it. If users were smart enough to realize that professional reviewers are paid shills, or that 4chan's /v/ regularly bombs scores of games purely because of personal vendetta, then Metacritic has no effect at all.

Bottom line is the only reviewer you can trust is yourself.

News Comments > BF4 Beta in Fall 2013: MoH Not Required
22. Re: BF4 Beta in Fall 2013: MoH Not Required Jul 18, 2012, 12:30 eunichron

More robust eSports support

Please don't. Battlefield has never been eSports friendly because of the nature of the game, not because of lack of support. As soon as you start designing the game around eSports it really is going to be another CoD.

News Comments > Diablo III Game Limits Returning
47. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 16:44 eunichron

Flatline wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 16:12:
And yeah, you can buy hats in TF2 which are purely cosmetic, but it's not generally understood/accepted that in the next 10 hours or whatever of playtime that you'll end up having to replace that hat because it's become obsolete.

That presupposes the idea that the drops aren't useless to begin with.

As for your SC2 "mission pack" comment in another post, I would hardly call Heart of the Swarm a mission pack. An entirely new single player campaign (which the Terran campaign was pretty well done in my opinion), and new units in multiplayer, which that alone means months and months of balancing work to be done. Keep in mind it also took Valve 2 years to release Episode 1, and it wasn't nearly the same size or scope of Half-Life 2 (as HoTS is to WoL). Blizzard kind of shot themselves in the foot though, it took them longer than Valve to realize that episodic content is a terrible development cycle to commit to.

38. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 15:17 eunichron

Flatline wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 14:52:
eunichron wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 14:12:
KS wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 14:04:
leading to a reduction in its price, and of comparable items.

Except that's not what's happening. The "enterprising people" aren't generating more items, they're generating more gold, which is causing rampant inflation due to the rate at which bots can introduce new capital into the system. Regular, i.e. non-botting, players can't keep up.

At the same time though, if the gold AH was anything like sane, nobody would be spending money on the RMAH, and blizzard wouldn't be making 15 bucks off of a 100 dollar video game weapon.

Which bakes my noodle...

PEOPLE ARE SPENDING HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS ON A VIDEO GAME WEAPON. A FEW LINES OF CODE AND A FUCKING PIECE OF ARTWORK THAT IS STORED ON A SERVER SOMEWHERE.

Ahem. Sorry I'm under control now. But the idea that it's actually happening is just f*cking crazy sauce to me.

Yet it's nothing new. People bought items for real money in EQ and Diablo 2. People now pay for hats in TF2 that are in fact even worth less than Diablo items since they are purely cosmetic. It's not up to you to decide what is right or wrong for people to spend their money on.

On that note, I have never and will never spend a dime on video games beyond the purchase price for the game or a DLC. However, because of the RMAH I have made the money back that I spent on the cost of the game plus a little extra, and I don't regret it one bit. I seem to have hit a plateau though and haven't been able to sell anything in a couple weeks. Might be time to sell off all my character's gear and throw in the towel.

28. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 14:12 eunichron

KS wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 14:04:
leading to a reduction in its price, and of comparable items.

Except that's not what's happening. The "enterprising people" aren't generating more items, they're generating more gold, which is causing rampant inflation due to the rate at which bots can introduce new capital into the system. Regular, i.e. non-botting, players can't keep up.

News Comments > On Sale
19. Re: On Sale Jul 17, 2012, 03:54 eunichron

Dev wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 03:52:
eunichron wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 02:49:
Sword of the Stars II (I understand it got terrible reviews, but most of them seem to be based around the unplayable state of the game at launch, which is supposedly much improved currently)

If you try it before the sale is over, can you post and let us know how it is? I was about to get it myself, but the low reviews scared me off. Just a couple sentences like if you think its worth buying would be adequate.

I'll try. I haven't installed it yet because I'm in the middle of upgrading my desktop, but I should be getting the last shipment of parts tomorrow. I'll be sure to make it part of my first round of installs.

News Comments > On Sale
15. Re: On Sale Jul 17, 2012, 02:49 eunichron

Dev wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 02:40:
The $50 paradox bundle on steam? Mind if I ask what you wanted out of that?

Europa Universalis III, Sword of the Stars II (I understand it got terrible reviews, but most of them seem to be based around the unplayable state of the game at launch, which is supposedly much improved currently), Warlock: Master of the Arcane, and some of the Magicka DLCs that I didn't have. I already had Mount & Blade + Warband/Fire and Sword, and Crusader Kings II so I lost some value there. I was hoping that it would give me extra copies of the games I already had so that I could gift/trade them, but alas that was not the case.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Jul 17, 2012, 02:04 eunichron

This sale has been kind of a disappointment for me so far. I don't know if it's because I already own most of the "must-have" games or if the choices just suck, but I've only dropped about $70, and the bulk of that was on the Paradox Bundle.

The only game I was really hoping for was ArmA II, which a friend of mine happened to gift me the other day (it's been 20% off but I was hoping for it be a daily deal or flash sale at 60-75%). I just haven't seen anything that I thought was worth jumping on.

News Comments > Medal of Honor: Warfighter to Grant Battlefield 4 Beta Access?
8. Re: Medal of Honor: Warfighter to Grant Battlefield 4 Beta Access? Jul 14, 2012, 16:09 eunichron

DangerDog wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 15:58:
BF2143

If they want to compete with PS2 it's going to have to be 2143.

With that said... ALL OF MY MONEY!

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Beta Details
23. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Details Jul 13, 2012, 23:58 eunichron

Sepharo wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 23:36:
I think I'm done trying to get a key... At least through Twitter.
I feel dumb using Twitter and pathetic for begging to a faceless responseless @.

Especially since half the time they'd just send keys publicly and they would be in use within seconds. These social media promotions need to die.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 13, 2012, 01:29 eunichron

Esoteric wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 23:34:
I used to go to Digg once in a while before the change, but it was really bad. Around that time I discovered Reddit and haven't looked back since. I really like Reddit, but you really have to look for good subreddits. There are thousands of them, and the default ones are pretty bad since they automatically have the most people.

Yeah, the worst thing about community driven websites is generally the community.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
118. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 23:37 eunichron

Panickd wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 23:18:
The only bundle it would make sense for me to get anymore is Popcap's, and I just might do that this year! :)

Heh, funny you say that because a friend messaged me a few hours ago saying he gifted me an awesome bundle. Checked it out and it was the Popcap bundle, with the gift message, "trolled."

Joke's on him, I fucking love Bejeweled.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
104. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 21:23 eunichron

Creston wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 21:19:
Panickd wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 14:47:
No Steam, no!

At least I already own (thanks to other sales) or don't give two craps about whats out there today. But I know there is something coming that will scream, "You must own this!" and I will bite because I am a gaming consumer whore.

I always imagine the guys at Valve sitting there during the Summer Sale, watching the loot roll in and laughing uproariously at our poor impulse control.

Creston

I can't even begin to imagine how much their yearly profits are due to the summer sale alone. Yeah, they're selling cheap, but the sheer magnitude of how much they're selling easily dwarfs any other week.

I'm already in for $50 for the Paradox Pack. A little upsetting that I wasn't able to get extra copies of CK2, the M&B games, and Magcika out of it to give/trade away, but for Europa Universalis III and Sword of the Stars II it was worth it.

1789 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo