Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for eunichron

Real Name eunichron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eunichron
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 16:54
Total Comments 1789 (Pro)
User ID 13977

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 30, 2012, 22:15 eunichron

jdreyer wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 21:08:
eunichron wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 19:53:
My PC is near top of the line, about the only thing keeping it from being "extreme" level is lack of SLI. I can run BF3 with everything except AA totally maxed (I keep AA around 2x) at 1920x1080 and still average 70 FPS. The lowest I ever see it dip is 50-55... however, my PC is a $3,000 system, and obviously the Xbox 720 isn't going to have the same level of hardware so that it can keep costs down.

Just a quick question:

HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO SPEND $3000 AND NOT END UP WITH SLI???

Oh, unless you bought one of those dual chip cards like the GTX 690?

Probably not anywhere near $3,000, but I have an i7 3960X and a GTX 680 as the most expensive components. I have a friend that works at Intel who hooked me up with some employee pricing (and he donated about $4,000 worth of SSDs), so I was making a guesstimation as to what my system would cost off the shelf. I actually only spent about $1500 out of pocket.

Beamer wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 21:32:
But what about 3 years later? 5 years later? Should every game look like BF3 so that your PC can keep near 60fps?

I was only using my PC as a gauge for what the actual consumer hardware level of the console might be, to say that it is possible for a machine built today to run games at a steady 60FPS in 1080p. The console hardware is static, it's not going to change in 3-5 years, so it stands to reason that if Xbox 720 launch games look like BF3 (i.e. the most current full DX11 game), the games coming out in 3-5 years will still look like BF3, because the games will still be DX11 on DX11 hardware, while the PC will be on DX12 or 13... it's the same situation we're in now with consoles still being DX9. Sure, developers have come up with some neat tricks, but BF3 on Xbox 360 still looks like dog shit compared to BF3 on PC.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 30, 2012, 19:53 eunichron

Beamer wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 17:28:
As others said, it would be nice if it forced 1080p, but even then... did Halo 3 look significantly worse than any other game because of its resolution? I'd argue no, even on a giant TV. I'd be ok with the system dropping to lower resolutions in favor of more fluid action for certain games. (Halo 3, for the record, looked worse due to its morbidly low poly count. But decent lighting and particle effects seemed to have made plenty of people miss that.)

My PC is near top of the line, about the only thing keeping it from being "extreme" level is lack of SLI. I can run BF3 with everything except AA totally maxed (I keep AA around 2x) at 1920x1080 and still average 70 FPS. The lowest I ever see it dip is 50-55... however, my PC is a $3,000 system, and obviously the Xbox 720 isn't going to have the same level of hardware so that it can keep costs down. If you take into consideration that consoles are built for a single purpose and so don't require the 'extra' power to achieve the same performance, it would be perfectly feasible to build a $500 console that can still do 60 FPS at 1080p, 30 FPS at 1080p would be an absolute minimum.

News Comments > Ubisoft uPlay Security Flaw
32. Re: Ubisoft uPlay Security Flaw Jul 30, 2012, 18:06 eunichron

NKD wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 17:51:
Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 17:12:
[

I guess I didn't think about Steam just forcing that shit straight onto your computer. THANKS STEAM!

Creston

But Steam is the greatest and can do no wrong.

All Hail King Gabe Newell, the First of His Name. King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men. Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm.

Hallowed are the Ori!

Wait...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 18:30 eunichron

If anyone was wanting to catch some Olympics events but doesn't want to deal with NBC's bullshit you can Google and download Expat Shield proxy. It will give you a UK IP so you can watch the BBC's live streams. It's infinitely better than NBC's garbage.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: Blizzard/Valve and Win8 Jul 27, 2012, 21:16 eunichron

DarkCntry wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 21:04:
Valve a 'big' game maker? Since when?

"Big" in the sense that they make games with a focus on PC that a large majority of PC gamers love to play, and run the single largest digital distribution network for PC gaming in the world.

The same is true for Blizzard as well, whether you agree or not (sans the digital distribution part).

When you have two developers who never abandoned the PC platform insinuating that Windows 8 will kill desktop PC gaming, that is a pretty big deal.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Blizzard/Valve and Win8 Jul 27, 2012, 20:50 eunichron

Well there you have it... the two largest PC video game makers speaking out against Win8. Both companies already simultaneously develop for MacOS and Windows, and Valve is expressing sincere interest in Linux. Something is going to give... either Microsoft will realize it's shitty decisions with Win8 and make more desktop oriented SKUs, instead of forcing clunky and terrible tablet interfaces, or desktop gaming will move to another platform. In case of the latter I would prefer Linux over MacOS, though.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2012, 14:26 eunichron

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 13:56:
The olympics are not to become famous, they are to match your mettle against the best. Your argumentation is completely silly! The olympics are not there for >YOU< they are there for the athletes who compete in it.

Your point is one of how they are held, but to say to do away with the olympics is the dumbest thing I have read on bluesnews in quite a while. How about we just remove the USA from the olympics?

I'd argue against that a little bit and say that the Olympics are somewhat a matter of national pride. "Our athletes kicked your athlete's asses! We're the best!" etc. In that regard they are as much for the populace as they are for the competitors.

News Comments > Diablo III Exploit Hotfixes
22. Re: Diablo III Exploit Hotfixes Jul 27, 2012, 14:23 eunichron

RailWizard wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 13:46:
..or they could just nuke japan

We already did that in the '40s. It didn't help.

34. Re: Hobbit Jul 26, 2012, 19:02 eunichron

The exact thing was had was Interceptor Body Armor, made by Point Blank Body Armor (IBA for short). The basic set consists of a camo cover that comes in various camo styles or flat colors (for instance Marines also used IBAs, but theirs had a monotone tan cover) and soft kevlar inserts. When we switched to UCP all we got was the outer shell, and we just swapped the kevlar over. So if you want to figure the cost of that just look up the cost for just the outer shell without kevlar. A full kit of IBA would include vest, under arm protection, over arm protection, neck protector, throat protector, side plates, and groin protector. This http://www.pointblankarmor.com/Military/otv.php is pretty much exactly what we had.

So, as far as what we were issued on the switch to ACU/UCP; full IBA conversion shell minus kevlar inserts (about $200), 4 new duty uniforms ($240), patrol caps and boonie caps ($20), 2 pairs of boots (Belleville or Altama brands) ($280), and undershirts ($20). So, very rough estimate of about $760 to upgrade those of us that were there for the switch, but keep in mind that for us they didn't replace anything. We still had our forest/desert camo pouches and kits, rucksacks, and combat packs etc. They didn't start replacing those until ACU became standard issue for new recruits entering basic, which IIRC was near the end of 2006 right when I was getting out. If we wanted UCP pouches before that time we had to buy them ourselves.

Matshock wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 18:43:
I have to stick to my assessment though- we're getting gouged on your clothing unless that includes a whole bunch of shirts, socks and underwear. Only 1 pair of ACUs at that price right? Based on a few to several million copies being sold it should be less than that.

Standard issue is 4 complete uniforms, tops and bottoms, 7 undershirts, and 7 pairs of socks. Anything more than that we had to buy ourselves. According to my clothing sheet one ACU top was $26.20, one ACU trouser was $24.90, so $51.10 for one complete set. Er, I fudged that, that was for a set of BDUs... but I don't think an ACU set was much more expensive.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2012, 19:17.

31. Re: Hobbit Jul 26, 2012, 18:22 eunichron

Matshock wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 18:17:
Wow I didn't know it had gotten that small. Yeah, we're screwed about 5X faster than I though we were in that department.

Don't take my arguments as a knock against our folks serving, I'm glad they survived and continue to survive.

But we can't afford all this for much longer- quote me.

I'm all for cutting down our military into a defense force. Close foreign bases, bring our guys home (I still have buddies from my time in still doing rotations in Afghanistan; we should have come home the day after bin Laden got whacked). But we shouldn't skimp on gear. It really does save lives. We just need guys at the top making smarter decision.

I dug around and all I could find were individual clothing records, the standard gear issue records don't show costs. But if you were interested a full set of clothing for me cost $681.45; that includes camo, boots, shirts, socks, every day stuff. A Class A dress uniform cost $441.70.

29. Re: Hobbit Jul 26, 2012, 18:03 eunichron

Matshock wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 15:58:
About 2 million combat army over the last 10 years, let's weight the other 8 million support @ 25%- so 4 million complete sets of gear.

5 billion/ 4 million= about $1250.00 per set including development costs. Yeah that's a bit high. About 20-30% higher than retail.

That's a generous figure. Our total military strength is about 1.4 million active, and 1.4 million reserve across all branches. So, 2.8 million personnel total. That includes combat arms and support.

Your $1250 figure is way off. If I remember my gear manifest correctly a single IBA set (Interceptor Body Armor; soft kevlar vest, not including SAPI or E-SAPI armor plates, or any of the pieces I mentioned below) was about $1100 by itself, which is a few hundred less than retail. The full cost of clothing a single soldier is in the several thousands, and they're not getting gouged. You know, I'll actually try to dig out my clothing statements and see if it lists costs on there and get back to you.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 26, 2012, 14:29 eunichron

Half the problem with the big providers in the first place was government intervention. The government gave them massive subsidies to increase broadband connectivity, and all they did was change their definitions of "broadband" so that they didn't have to expand their infrastructure, then pocketed the cash.

I'm all for free markets, I'd even say I side with the anarcho-capitalists on a lot of issues, but the big 3 telecoms need a punch in the face.

And right on the heels Google announces Google Fiber including a no monthly cost plan with a one time construction fee of $300. I guess if anyone is able to give AT&T. Verizon, and Comcast a run for their money it's Google.

https://fiber.google.com/about/

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2012, 16:44.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Trailer
6. Re: PlanetSide 2 Trailer Jul 26, 2012, 12:55 eunichron

Lukin wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 12:37:
We're not supposed to say we've started the beta?...whoops...

Yeah, good game. Yes, cool trailer. But gameplay is nothing like this.

They've supposedly kicked a few people out already, so I'm not taking any chances.

I mean, I'm not not taking any chances. I don't know anything. Nothing to see here. Move on to the next post, Sony rep.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Trailer
4. Re: PlanetSide 2 Trailer Jul 26, 2012, 12:25 eunichron

I can neither confirm nor deny that I have possibly been in the technical test since it started, but this game is amazing.  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
90. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 21:47 eunichron

Lorcin wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 20:46:
Running linux on a pc is much akin to my mobile phone. My phone runs a custom firmware hack to get the android 2.3 OS running on a handset that Sony Ericsson have never updated beyond android 2.1.

The problem is although I researched and worked out exactly what I needed to do for a weekend to take it from stock to custom OS, now 3 months later apparently updates are available for it. But I can't for the life of me remember which hoops and loops I need to jump through to get the updates installed - and frankly I can't be bothered to relearn.

Until linux offers SIGNIFICANTLY improved performance vs windows ?? then I'm afraid I'll end up sticking to windows because it's easy to learn and helpfull (yeah mainly overly helpful but meh)

The only thing holding Linux back is lack of support. As it is hardware vendors in the enthusiast market only put out Linux drivers just to throw Linux users a bone. If as much effort was put into making solid, performance oriented, drivers for Linux as they are for Windows, I have no doubt that Linux might perform as good if not better than a Windows machine.

The only way that kind of support is going to happen is if there's a monetary reason driving it, such as Steam moving to a primarily Linux focus.

But then again no amount of closed source support is going to stop the "Free as in Freedom" crowd from bitching.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
66. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 19:53 eunichron

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 19:50:
Dades wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 19:46:
People defending Windows ME, I've truly seen everything now.

Hell's Hockey team just won the Cup.

Nah, the Devils haven't won a cup since 2003.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2012, 19:09 eunichron

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:10:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 16:00:
Beamer wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 15:25:

5 billion wasn't designing, 5 billion was total. Not really too surprising, given that they had to make how many uniforms? A lot of that money would have been spent, anyway, even if they'd not bothered looking into new camo.

Still, that seems extremely excessive. Let's assume $1b (!) for design and testing, and $4b for production. The army currently has 560,000 active soldiers but let's use 700,000 to account for rotation in and out of the army over the past few years since the design was implemented. That's about $5700 per soldier for uniforms. A full ACU is less than $100 on Amazon, and I'm sure the army gets a better deal buying in bulk, so I'm wondering where all the money went?

Big Army, man. Big Army. The money gets taken back if they don't spend it and the budget gets lowered, so they spend it anyway they can. They knew from the start that the ACU was shit, but they fielded it anyway. Many, many soldiers in the sandbox have been injured and killed because ACU is a fucking walking target. It doesn't blend with anything. (Except old couch patterns.)

It's not just the ACU uniform. You need to also replace ballistic vests/plate carriers, load-bearing vests, magazine and utility pouches, inclement weather clothing, patrol caps and boonies, rucksacks and combat packs, helmet covers, etc.

My unit was one of the first to get ACUs. Got issued them near the end of 2004 since we were set to deploy in Summer '05. Weren't allowed to wear them immediately, but they were instantly hated. Awful fit. Terrible "features" that offered no benefit over BDUs/DCUs.

As for blending, well, they weren't totally useless. Obviously they didn't do shit for us on Ft. Drum in upstate NY, but in theater it was hit or miss. In urban areas they didn't do too well, but it's nearly impossible to make a good urban camo anyway. They did quite a bit better out in the rural areas. The purpose of camo isn't to make invisible anyway, it's just supposed to break up your silhouette and make it harder to discern geometric shapes.

The issue wasn't that UCP didn't work well in Iraq (it actually worked decent against most Iraqi backdrops), but that it was touted as universal, which it clearly isn't as it doesn't work in temperate forested environments, like Afghanistan. Here's an example http://i.imgur.com/prTKX.jpg (that's actually my right leg on the left corner ). Obviously it's not going to work as well in close up, but if you imagine the CSM in the foreground standing 250-300m away in the background, it would be pretty difficult to make out his clear shape.

News Comments > 1M Stronghold Kingdoms Players
2. Re: 1M Stronghold Kingdoms Players Jul 25, 2012, 15:01 eunichron

A friend and I played it back when it first hit Steam a few months ago... don't even bother. It's unabashedly P2W; you can purchase cards that give you increased resources and military units, army movement speeds, reduced building times, etc. You also get cards by playing but they are random, and to trade in cards for an actually useful one takes a month or two of collecting them. To get simple things like building queues and the ability to relocate buildings (which is mandatory for optimizing resource gathering) you have to pay.

We found that the majority of players were stay at home wives/mothers who had the time and cash to invest in the game. However it was something that I could run in the background and just check on it every few hours to see if my new buildings or castle upgrades had completed (building times increase with each successive building, by the time I stopped playing a single village building was taking 9 real-time hours to contruct, an average sized castle takes several days, an optimal castle can take a month... unless you pay).

Stay away unless you don't mind shelling out cash to be able to compete.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Survey Results & Bug Fix
10. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Results & Bug Fix Jul 25, 2012, 14:53 eunichron

Verno wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 14:31:
Interesting, thanks for the feedback fellas. I guess thinking back there were only a handful of games that really needed a quad core to run well. I think I saw the biggest generational upgrade out of an SSD more than anything else but that doesn't really apply to most games.

Yeah, switching to an SSD might net you general usage performance, especially if you do a lot of office work on your machine. My desktop is purely for gaming, I have a laptop for general use/office work, so I didn't see much of a gain going with an SSD, except in games with a lot of loading (FO3/NV, Skyrim, etc.). I did stick an SSD in my 3 year old Dell Studio and the difference was phenomenal.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Survey Results & Bug Fix
3. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Results & Bug Fix Jul 25, 2012, 13:01 eunichron

Verno wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 12:02:
Very surprising number of dual-core systems still out there, I guess maybe the laptops are skewing that.

I would imagine it has to do with laptops becoming more popular, and Dual Core still being, a waning, standard for laptops. Yeah, I know you can get Quad Core CPUs for laptops, but unless you're buying one specifically for gaming it will more than likely have a Dual Core mobile CPU.

1789 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo