Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Anon Anon

Real Name Anon Anon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Icewind
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 21, 2002, 18:44
Total Comments 1666 (Pro)
User ID 13929

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2019, 12:34 Icewind

It was a little rough, but I don't see the problem. Nobody was hurt in Garrett's little helmet bonking episode, and it's just two roided up teams acting like roided up teams. I think the Pedro Martinez incident where he punched out Don Zimmer on the field back in the 2000s was far worse and no one crucified him to this extent.

Now I can't watch ESPN anymore because it's 24/7 coverage of a 10 second fight that we know nothing about and real sports fans don't even give a crap about.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.

2. Re: etc. Nov 12, 2019, 13:28 Icewind

Gaming chairs *are* for wankers.

The smart thing is to buy a comfortable recliner and one of these coach keyboards that have space for a mousepad and you sit back and game while reclining on a laz-e-boy.

News Comments > Obsidian: Pillars of Eternity III Uncertain, Would Require Changes

2. Re: Obsidian: Pillars of Eternity III Uncertain, Would Require Changes Nov 11, 2019, 12:24 Icewind

IT's easy to understand. CRPGs are still mainly played by older gamers who grew up playing CRPGs in the 80s/90s, and we demand a more tactical method of combat. That's why games like Divinity and Underrail are popular now. Kickstarter allowed the majority to finally squash the ignorant lie that "Turn based games don't sell" and now all the other CRPG developers who refused to accept this are scrambling to catch up.

It also didn't help that Pillars 2 was incredibly SJW-ish. Nearly every major NPC leader is a rugged and/or lesbian/bi female and what few men of power exist are cowardly or corrupt. Plus a straight female player character has only one male option for romance: a bisexual fish man.

Some reviews picked up on that too. People have noticed it in forums and brought attention to it. Outer Worlds has the same problem, and everyone I talk to on Discord has noticed it as well (and been turned off from Outer Worlds)

Obsidian isn't much without Avellone. His writing was the best part of Pillars 1 (Durance) and without his involvement in Pillars 2, it showed how weak the rest of the team was.

News Comments > Op Ed

54. Re: Op Ed Nov 9, 2019, 01:24 Icewind

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 00:41:
Creston wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 16:13:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 13:21:
I don't like being sorta stuck with a 100+ hour game given my backlog.

All in all, I do understand where the Polygon dude is coming from. Long games can be intimidating and mentally exhausting before you have even started them. Many long games are rarely awesome from start to finish. Gimme a tense, intriguing 20 - 40 hour game over a 100 hour "epic" boring game (that had 40 good hours and 60 yawn hours).

The problem with Outer Worlds is that due to the short time spent with it, you never actually get to the "meat" of the game. You fight the same 4 monster types the entire game, use the same 4 weapons the entire game, and beat a very underwhelming boss and the credits roll.

Look at New Vegas. The main quest can be done in 30 hours, sure, but there are so many side quests that you can triple or even quadruple that time total....and in doing so, you earn tons of unique gear and gain tons of levels that open up dozens of new perks and skills.

Outer Worlds has nothing like that waiting for the player.

News Comments > Op Ed

53. Re: Op Ed Nov 9, 2019, 01:19 Icewind

Figured one of the SJW websites would write a "Outer Worlds being only 20 hours long is ok because I'm a casual" article. They've done this countless times.

I did every quest, side quest, companion quest, and faction quest. My time total at the end credits? 31 hours.

I'll never go through it again. Far, far too short.

News Comments > Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only

13. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 3, 2019, 12:53 Icewind

Of course it is. They just needed an excuse for it, whereas Diablo 3 had no excuse for its online requirement. Now they just make the sequel a semi-mmo type world and go "Well, it's the way we want the game world to be" and people have to take it or leave it.

I'll get it for Xbox anyway. D3 played much better on console, unbelievably, and at least there I'll have the game on a physical disc.

News Comments > Diablo IV Announced

30. Re: Diablo IV Announced Nov 2, 2019, 03:08 Icewind

Not bad. They must've rushed this though, because you'd think they would have made something totally different. I'm quite shocked it looks so Diablo 2-ish.

Guess Path of Exile and Grim Dawn's success had an effect on Blizz.

News Comments > Rumored Diablo 4 Details

10. Re: Rumored Diablo 4 Details Oct 31, 2019, 13:35 Icewind

The visuals arent what bothered me about D3, though. It was how levels didn't matter, stats technically didn't matter, and everything about your "build" was based around your equipment loadout...plus skills could be hotswapped at any time. It played more like Gauntlet on the N64 than a PC ARPG. That's why so many like myself fled to Grim Dawn or Path of Exile.

If they bring back the difficulty, the slower progression, and the more skill tree based build creation of D2, then I'll come back.

News Comments > Op Ed

13. Re: Op Ed Oct 31, 2019, 01:09 Icewind

edaciousx wrote on Oct 30, 2019, 17:25:
games have been a bit more vocal about anti trump/anti right wing the past few years. This whole China thing is solely about money and not so much politics.

This x100

If anything, publishers and developers are far more political and slather their games with politics. Just now, Im playing through Outer Worlds and every major faction leader is a female with a mannish haircut and half of them admit to being lesbian.

It's just western games though. European and Japanese RPGs largely stay away from this stuff.

News Comments > EA Games Returning to Steam

22. Re: EA Games Returning to Steam Oct 29, 2019, 14:06 Icewind

You have to install and run Origin alongside of Steam. And to get their games, you have to *subscribe monthly* to EA Access??

That's not "coming back to Steam".

I miss the old days when I'd go to EB Games, buy a giant box with the PC game CDs in it, and install them. No internet required (except for patches)

Anymore, I want to switch to consoles just so I can have physical discs and no longer need a reliable net connection to get my games.

News Comments > EA Steam Return Hint

29. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 12:05 Icewind

Kxmode wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 03:49:
I think EA realizes their image and brand is shot, their top-tier games isn't doing well, their subscription service isn't taking off like they thought it would. So they're moving their catalog back to Steam because they know there's a huge untapped market there. It also speaks volumes that they would choose Steam over EGS.

This is the only post that needs to be here. Well said.

Personally, I'd like to see the other Dragon Age games on Steam so I could play them on PC. Would be nice to get the new Star Wars games on PC instead of having to get it on Xbox One just to avoid Origin.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 17, 2019, 12:13 Icewind

Reading the article, it seems to say:

Writing a book saying the mass shooting was fake and everyone lied: okay to do and falls under free speech

Writing in that book that one of the father's of the deceased children faked his death certificate: Defamation.

I don't agree with the guy, but that seems like really flimsy logic. Where do we draw the line when writing a book? You can say someone lied, but if you get into specifics about how you think they lied, and present "evidence" that looks like evidence to you and you include it in said book, you can become sued?

The father should be chasing after the people sending him threats on his son's memorial page instead.

If Salmon Rushdie's Satanic Verses came out in today's climate, the US supreme court would order him executed.

News Comments > Morning Interviews

7. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 16, 2019, 12:23 Icewind

Well, it's mainly been a white hobby anyway, admit it or not. In the 80s and 90s it was far more expensive to be into computers and computer gaming, and the barrier for entry was high since to learn about it enough to be able to follow it, you needed either a family willing to spend the money to get you into it or you needed to be going to a decent suburban school with good funding that had computer courses in their curriculum.

Problem with the hobby - and this ruins every hobby eventually - is that it gets easy enough for the mainstream to hop into and after that, you have companies catering to the easily satisfied new mainstream entrants and yet still see those same new people whine about how the hobby isn't made for them/catering to them.

Still, it's funny to see them whine and bitch when they write 5,000 word articles about how Dark Souls has no black people in it or you can't romance a fat gay woman in Witcher 3.

News Comments > Op Ed

26. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2019, 00:29 Icewind

The writer must not be getting paid much by Kotaku, because I recently grabbed a 4TB drive for $90 and have been using that. I have a 2TB from before, which combined gives me more than enough for games. I have about 20-30 PC games already installed through various launchers and only have half of that space taken up.

Don't know why they're complaining. This has always been the case. I remember Daggerfall coming out in the fall of 1996 and my 1.2GB hard drive was gobbled up by the game's optimal 400MB install.

Buy another drive, they're cheap.

News Comments > GOG.com Turns XI, Releases XIII

11. Re: GOG.com Turns XI, Releases XIII Oct 3, 2019, 21:46 Icewind

When I saw "Chasm" I thought it was the FPS Chasm I used to play in 98.

XIII was pretty good. Played it on the original Xbox the fall it came out. Remember beating it and getting hyped about a sequel thanks to the cliffhanger ending.

Ahem.,

News Comments > Gearbox Responds to Union Beef

14. Re: Gearbox Responds to Union Beef Oct 1, 2019, 19:13 Icewind

Pritchford & company are all avowed liberals, but yet are tickled to death that they can hide behind a conservative-backed law that is anti-union just so they can save a buck.

Liberals are only liberal until it affects their pay...then they turn conservative real damn quick.

News Comments > CODE VEIN in the Membrane

12. Re: CODE VEIN in the Membrane Sep 27, 2019, 15:04 Icewind

I finished Demons Souls, Dark souls 1 and Dark Souls 3, and this game is far, far easier than any of them. It's nice, and has many of the same mechanics, but it's a really good "Baby's first souls game" for folks that want to play a game with that formula, but don't want to actually "git gud".

I'm a few hours in and I died once, on the 2nd boss, only because I was trying to be clever/fancy and tried to pull off an attack I didn't need to.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2019, 15:45 Icewind

There was a place me and my ex loved to eat in, little italian restaurant. Had amazing ziti and gave you homemade garlic bread dipping sauce on a plate. They were always poorly staffed and food took over an hour to get to your table, so it was destroyed on Yelp. They closed down and in my old town, which didn't have many places to eat, that was pretty much it. We used to go to a diner two towns over after that. They were good but the food tended to be undercooked.

It's hard to find a good place to eat out anymore. I just make my own meals and occasionally go to this family run pizza place nearby when I feel like eating out with the family.

News Comments > Control Exclusivity Cost Epic $10M+?

12. Re: Control Exclusivity Cost Epic $10M+? Sep 21, 2019, 03:14 Icewind

When Fortnite ends up like all the other competitive online shooters "AKA: Flavors of the moment" (Action quake, TF2, Overwatch, etc) they won't be able to do this anymore.

Works good for the devs, though. They get paid to subject Epic's user base to what amounts to an early access game and get to test patches so that the official release on Steam/GOG a year later comes pre-tested.

Can't wait for Metro Exodus this upcoming February.

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Halloween Event Detailed

1. Re: Borderlands 3 Halloween Event Detailed Sep 21, 2019, 00:20 Icewind

Some people call me a space cowboy
Some call me the gangster of love
Some people call me Maurice
Cause I speak of the pompitous of love

1666 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >