Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cliff Hicks

Real Name Cliff Hicks   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Devinoch
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Host of Starlight Society Podcast - http://tinyurl.com/starlightsociety/
Former Product Manager - Zattikka Games.
Former Producer/Lead Designer - Fierce Wombat Games.
Former Associate Producer - Kabam.
Former Customer Service Manager - GameSpot.
Form
Homepage http://tinyurl.com/starlightsociety/
Signed On Aug 21, 2002, 17:08
Total Comments 253 (Amateur)
User ID 13926

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II
47. Re: EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II Nov 30, 2017, 13:58 Devinoch

Flatline wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 17:02:
Devinoch wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 14:58:
Sure, and you could charge the $90-100 you would need to be profitable with such a game (considering development costs these days), and no one would buy it, or, conversely, you could make the game cost significantly less and people would bitch about how the graphics aren't up to snuff, and no one would buy it.

At the number of units that EA pushes of the Battlefront games, I doubt that profitability is an issue at a 60-70 dollar price point. If there is an issue with profitability, then it's EA's fault for entering into an ass-reamingly expensive license to create Star Wars games. And if that's the case, that's just bad business being passed onto the consumer.

It has nothing to do with the license and everything to do with the cost of developing a AAA game in the first place. Go look at any AAA game made in the last five years, load up the credits, and take a look at exactly how many people are working on any one project. Then extrapolate that those people probably spent between 18-36 months working on that game, and take a rough ballpark of what the human development cost is for a game.

People underestimate the cost to make a game these days by a long shot.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks
Host of the Starlight Society Podcast
http://tinyurl.com/starlightsociety/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Land Rush
43. Re: Origin Access Free This Week Nov 29, 2017, 16:13 Devinoch

This is now the gaming equivalent of the Cards Against Humanity stunt, where they just kept digging a hole every time someone sent them money, except without the honesty.  
Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Forces EA Stock Towards the Dark Side
67. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 15:12 Devinoch

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 06:50:
Devinoch wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 20:40:
Oh, how I remember like it was yesterday when the most recent SimCity came out, and how the doomsayers were proclaiming it was the end of EA. When will they ever learn?

Name a new IP developed by EA in 30 seconds, good luck.

It doesn't even matter really what stock does, fact is EA doesn't develop new IP's anymore, instead it's killing them and it's more likely EA closes studio than develop a new game nowadays (Just LOOK at their closure history). They got 3 big IP's left, from previously 5 (they killed Sim City and Mass Effect) so by this rate in 14 years EA doesn't develop any new games And let's not even get started on Command and Conquer (killed by EA) or Dragon Age (killed by EA). And generally speaking you don't earn money in the future if you don't develop NEW IP's

If you look at Fifa, Sims and Battlefield, which are the remaining 3 big ones, you can also see a huge disparity (only Fifa Ultimate is truly profitable) the remaining games had negative profit developments compared to predecessors (same for COD / Activision by the way).

So I laugh at people wanting to invest in EA stock. Maybe if you think Lootboxes aren't gonna be regulated, but once they are EA's only big profitable segment collapses. Fifa with a M+ rating would kill Fifa.

Except, of course, that this has been Standard Operating Procedure for EA for a while now. See the acquisition of Respawn Entertainment, bringing Titanfall under their umbrella.

I was AT Westwood Studios right before it fell. You're welcome to look me up. I was part of the development for Command & Conquer: Renegade, among other things, and I've seen the system from the inside.

EA's typical history has been - find studio that's making something that people like (that EA's probably publishing), acquire them, get a few good games out of them, overmicromanage too much, shut the studio down, repeat.

Origin, Bullfrog, Maxis, Tiberon Entertainment, Westwood, Criterion, Dreamworks Interactive, DICE, Mythic, Popcap...

This is the way they work. Most of their original IP have been failures - Dante's Inferno, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Spore, American McGee's Alice... That's just not what EA's been good at for the last few decades.

I understand there's a bunch of people angry at EA now, but historically, that's nothing new, and they didn't do this with one of their REAL cash cows. There's no uproar about FIFA, and that's the golden goose.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks

33. Re: EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II Nov 29, 2017, 14:59 Devinoch

theglaze wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 12:44:
bhcompy wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 12:40:
Sell hats, gun skins, and a chance at a sweet looking knife that doesn't physically alter your abilities in game, not ingame skills. Makes Valve more money than God

Valve doesn't pump out a new TF2 or CSGO every year

EA wants full game price sales plus DLC plus microstransactions... and they want to sell you the same shit again and again, year after year.

It's called greed, and +4 billion dollars in annual revenue.

Valve also doesn't make 95% of its revenue on its own games anymore. The Valve business model has been "Steam" for a long, long time now.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks

31. Re: EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II Nov 29, 2017, 14:58 Devinoch

jdreyer wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 11:45:
Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 10:51:
"We pulled-off on the MTX because the real issue the consumer had was they felt it was a pay-to-win mechanic," he added. "The reality is: there's different types of players in games. Some people have more money than time, and some people have more time than money, and you want to always balance those two.

Hahaha what the fuck? No you don't have to balance them. In a game that is primarily a MP experience the asshole who just wants to destroy balance through purchases should NOT be allowed to do that. Fuck that shit. You want to "balance" them by giving that idiot some cosmetics to throw his money at so that he feels better about himself while not pissing off everyone else who bought the game.

Or they could, you know, not have a fucking progression system at all. Then everyone has access to all weapons and abilities regardless of time played. The only reason to have a progression system at all is to entice the player to spend more money.

It's a gameplay mechanic designed to extract cash.

Sure, and you could charge the $90-100 you would need to be profitable with such a game (considering development costs these days), and no one would buy it, or, conversely, you could make the game cost significantly less and people would bitch about how the graphics aren't up to snuff, and no one would buy it.

I know it's in-fashion to bitch about EA or games trying to be profitable, but this isn't something people do exclusively for fun. Companies do have to be profitable to survive. All companies.

I'm not a capitalist by any stretch of the imagination, but until there's a solution to cost/profit for games that works on scale (i.e. something that makes AAA games make sense again), you're going to constantly see companies trying to find ways to squeeze more money out of consumers in order to stay afloat.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Forces EA Stock Towards the Dark Side
11. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 28, 2017, 20:40 Devinoch

Oh, how I remember like it was yesterday when the most recent SimCity came out, and how the doomsayers were proclaiming it was the end of EA. When will they ever learn?  
Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Gladius Announced
7. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Gladius Announced Nov 25, 2017, 14:43 Devinoch

Two human factions and no Eldar? No interest, thanks.  
Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2017, 22:14 Devinoch

Sadly, Malcom had been fighting dementia for several years now, which means we're likely to see the passing of Terry Jones from Monty Python in the relatively near future as well, to my great dismay...  
Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Launches
66. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 23:39 Devinoch

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 21:21:
Devinoch wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 16:14:
El Pit wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 14:14:
I wonder what is going on with EA right now. Emergency EA CEO conference with Disney? Why the whales didn't want to get hunted? What went wrong? They must be afraid because their customers stood up to them and the pay2win system. Nothing is worse than fans that are no longer fanatic enough to accept torture.

Honest thoughts? I think Disney is considering acquiring EA, and revamping them to fix the problems they feel they can correct for. It might not be a bad business play, in all honesty. EA has reliably profitable stuff (Madden, FIFA, NHL) and has talent and technology Disney could use to replace the basically-defunct Disney Interactive. It's not a bad proposition for either side, assuming they can some smart people to oversee it.

Disney listens to the same exact overlords.

What, the tenets of capitalism? Yep, I'm pretty sure that's true of any actual business, sadly.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks

65. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 23:38 Devinoch

Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 17:20:
Devinoch wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 17:05:
Misogyny on display.

I don't have any problems with people having opinions on things, but using the term "Social Justice Warrior" as an insult immediately puts you in the category of "people who think the idea of women being treated as equals is bullshit" and, frankly, beneath the time worthy of a conversation.

You could've made the point that the female-voice to male-voice ratio of stormtroopers seems out-of-whack without being a troll about it, and it would have been a perfectly legitimate criticism to make if, in fact, it is at a 3-to-1 ratio (although, let's also be fair - you are unlikely to have ever made this criticism if it was 3-to-1 in the other direction, now are you?) and one we could've had an actual discussion about.

But you're not interested in such things, because you're much more interested in calling people "SJWs" and thinking somehow that makes you interesting.

It's a shame you can't engage with people whose opinions don't mirror your own without sinking to immediate, obvious trolling. You'd likely learn quite a bit.

Or just maybe you are an SJW and people not bending to your special little snowflake view of the world triggers you into a typical shrill liberal diatribe that has no actual basis in reality. Women aren't equal. Neither are men. None of us are equal so why should people treated like that? Just because you say so? No different from the extreme-right, the extreme-left lives in some little fantasy world where everyone is supposed to hold hands and sing Kumbaya all day long - instead of doing any actual work. If you people would just shut up and stop trying to force your twisted, irrational views on everyone else than they wouldn't be complaining about how fucking irritating your type are, would they? The Universe doesn't give a fuck about what you think is fair or moral or good or bad and neither does most life on this planet.

People like you are the direct cause of rise of the right-wing. It's would be funny if it wasn't so sad that all the shit you whine about comes about entirely because of your whinging. And the fact is you're the one stirring shit up. So that makes you the fucking troll, not him. He was simply expressing his opinion. You're the one having a hissy fit and saying he's not entitled to his beliefs. Well fuck you and the PC horse you rode in on. Middlefinger

Ah yes, another profanity laden, mindless rant. I would have expected no less from you, Cutter.

And, I might point out, completely ignoring the actual issue at hand, huh? But hey, let's try and educate, and maybe you'll learn something.

Never once did I say he isn't entitled to his beliefs. You're welcome to go digging for that. You won't find it. What I *did* say, repeatedly, is that reductive, confrontational language is no way to make a point successfully. I'm trying to teach how to successfully argue an opinion.

The "extreme-left," as it seems you're willing to paint anyone who doesn't hold a view parallel to your own, is made up of lots of people, all of whom often hold conflicting opinions! Almost like they're actual individuals, capable of unique thought. (I particularly loved your line of "If you people would just shut up and stop trying to force your twisted, irrational views on everyone else" said in complete lack of irony or self-awareness...)

If you want to hold to your extreme nihilism, you're welcome to it, but you can't simply argue that everyone else has to hold a similar viewpoint, because you think yours is correct. Otherwise, you should expect to spend the rest of your life yelling at every human you meet for not thinking exactly the same as you.

Because, whatever you think, I wasn't arguing that "The Universe" had to do anything - I was arguing about the actions of people, all of whom hold individual opinions, and, to get back to the actual topic, that people weren't complaining when it was all male voices for stormtroopers, and now that there is a majority of female voices, somehow that's "a problem."

Want to engage in an actual debate? Bring it on. Going to engage in more mindless mudslinging? Have fun elsewhere.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks

45. removed Nov 17, 2017, 17:06 Devinoch

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 17, 2017, 17:15.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks

44. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 17:05 Devinoch

DangerDog wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 16:53:
Devinoch wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 16:11:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 15:30:
They do push the feminism SJW issue quite a bit, so many female stromtroopers it's actually laughable. They even got lazy and used female soldier voice files for male rebel soldier models. They didn't even do that good of a job on the voices, I didn't hear one "Stop rebel scum!"

Misogyny on demand. Comments sections never disappoint.

Social Justice Star Warrior detected.

I don't have any problem with playing as a female, despite the bad writing for her. Grows up worshiping the Empire, defending the emperor building the second Death Star but grows a conscious when the Empire gives some scorched earth order 66 to her. And that sounds way more interesting than what's in the game.

Okay maybe one or two female voiced stormtroopers but they over did the female to male ratio by at least 3 to 1. It just sounds out of place.

Misogyny on display.

I don't have any problems with people having opinions on things, but using the term "Social Justice Warrior" as an insult immediately puts you in the category of "people who think the idea of women being treated as equals is bullshit" and, frankly, beneath the time worthy of a conversation.

You could've made the point that the female-voice to male-voice ratio of stormtroopers seems out-of-whack without being a troll about it, and it would have been a perfectly legitimate criticism to make if, in fact, it is at a 3-to-1 ratio (although, let's also be fair - you are unlikely to have ever made this criticism if it was 3-to-1 in the other direction, now are you?) and one we could've had an actual discussion about.

But you're not interested in such things, because you're much more interested in calling people "SJWs" and thinking somehow that makes you interesting.

It's a shame you can't engage with people whose opinions don't mirror your own without sinking to immediate, obvious trolling. You'd likely learn quite a bit.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks

38. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 16:14 Devinoch

El Pit wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 14:14:
I wonder what is going on with EA right now. Emergency EA CEO conference with Disney? Why the whales didn't want to get hunted? What went wrong? They must be afraid because their customers stood up to them and the pay2win system. Nothing is worse than fans that are no longer fanatic enough to accept torture.

Honest thoughts? I think Disney is considering acquiring EA, and revamping them to fix the problems they feel they can correct for. It might not be a bad business play, in all honesty. EA has reliably profitable stuff (Madden, FIFA, NHL) and has talent and technology Disney could use to replace the basically-defunct Disney Interactive. It's not a bad proposition for either side, assuming they can some smart people to oversee it.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks

37. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 16:11 Devinoch

DangerDog wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 15:30:
They do push the feminism SJW issue quite a bit, so many female stromtroopers it's actually laughable. They even got lazy and used female soldier voice files for male rebel soldier models. They didn't even do that good of a job on the voices, I didn't hear one "Stop rebel scum!"

Misogyny on demand. Comments sections never disappoint.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks

36. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 16:09 Devinoch

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 13:43:
EA is charging £70/$93—which is already an obscene price—for a game that uses a free-to-play model of megatransactions. Either release it for free and have megatransactions or charge full retail price - it can't do both.

So much talent and effort has gone into the game it's saddening to see EA force this bullshit on gamers. I refuse to support such obnoxious business practices, so it's a hard pass for me.

If you're going to quibble about price, be honest, don't be deceptive. The price is $60, which has been the standard price for games like this for about a decade now. I have no idea where you're seeing it for sale at those prices, but price gouging isn't exactly the fault of EA.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks

News Comments > Destiny 2 – Expansion I: Curse of Osiris in December
20. Re: Destiny 2 – Expansion I: Curse of Osiris in December Oct 31, 2017, 14:18 Devinoch

There's also a Destiny phone app that lets you, among about a billion other things, look for parties, and it sees significant use. You can simply do party matchmaking there for Nightfalls, if you truly don't have 2 friends/clanmates playing the game.  
Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks

News Comments > Dota 2 Adds Two New Heroes; Plans Battle Pass Changes
1. Re: Dota 2 Adds Two New Heroes; Plans Battle Pass Changes Oct 31, 2017, 02:19 Devinoch

Correction: Available on test servers right now; going live on Wednesday.  
Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks

News Comments > CCP Layoffs: Dropping VR; Closing Studios
16. Re: CCP Layoffs: Dropping VR; Closing Studios Oct 31, 2017, 02:18 Devinoch

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 21:27:
Cutter wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 17:51:
How the hell do these guys have over a 1000 employees with one niche title to their name?

The same way world of warcraft, steam, loot boxes and microtransactions exist.

The ship of stupid sailed when Ultima online and EQ became a thing, normalizing online drm. We got generations of kid who are ok with basically the theft of software from their computers and no privacy because they are dumb as a bag of hammers.

The videogame idiocracy sailed as soon as mmo's became a thing paving the way for steam, then league of legends and TF2.

The fact that these god awful games exist and are totally controlled by game companies now is a far cry from the 90's with level editors and user control of software.

This is 100% "Old man yells at cloud."

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks

News Comments > CCP Layoffs: Dropping VR; Closing Studios
9. Re: CCP Layoffs: Dropping VR; Closing Studios Oct 30, 2017, 21:25 Devinoch

Cutter wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 19:20:
Jagacademy wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 18:52:
Cutter wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 17:51:
How the hell do these guys have over a 1000 employees with one niche title to their name?

I think people that are hardcore into EVE are bigger spenders than in any other game in the entire gaming industry.

The game has always been about 300k players. Regardless of how much they spend, regardless of anything else CCP has worked on - and constantly failed to produce - there is nothing, at least that I can see, that warrants a company that size. It must be a typo. There's just no way they can have that many employees.

They also acquired White Wolf Games, which certainly had a sizable amount of people in Atlanta, when they were working on the World of Darkness MMO that never seemed to go anywhere.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 18:48 Devinoch

Also, FWIW, I haven't spent a cent on GTAV since it came out, because I'm still waiting for a single player story update. And I gladly plunked down cash for the Uncharted standalone DLC.  
Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks

253 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo