User information for Nicholas

Real Name
Nicholas
Nickname
Wazootyman
Email
Concealed by request
Description
Blue's News "subscriber" for ~5 years...
Homepage
None given.
Signed On
August 20, 2002
Supporter
-
Total Posts
637 (Apprentice)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

637 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 8.
Newer [  1    3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18    32  ] Older

Re: No subject
May 2, 2004, 17:59
Re: No subject May 2, 2004, 17:59
May 2, 2004, 17:59

Finally... maybe now these idiots whining about "blah blah server costs!! blah blah, employee time!!" will shut their fucking mouths and open their eyes to reality

Guild Wars uses instanced "worlds" - ie, only the towns are common areas. As soon as you leave town, you are in your own instance (along with your party). This drastically reduces the bandwidth and computation power necessary to power the game. In many ways it is closer to the mechanics of Diablo than a "true" MMO.

I think the "reality" remains that a large scale "true" MMO requires a lot of bandwidth/server power, which requires a lot of money. Thus, the convention of monthly fees becomes necessary. If the world is going to last for any significant period of time, the initial 40 bucks paid for the game simply isn't going to cut it.

I am still very interested in seeing how well this project works, as well as other attempts at "alternative" funding for MMOs.

Interesting...
May 2, 2004, 14:16
Interesting... May 2, 2004, 14:16
May 2, 2004, 14:16

I am very interested to see...
1) How successful free MMOGs will be at supporting themselves.
2) What effect free MMOGs will have on the overall massive multiplayer market.

May 1, 2004, 23:21
Re: No subject May 1, 2004, 23:21
May 1, 2004, 23:21

If, by "crap", you mean "totally awsome" and by, "only way to make it better is to uninstall it", you mean, "it's so good you'll have to change your pants. Twice.", then I completely agree.
=D

May 1, 2004, 21:13
Re: No subject May 1, 2004, 21:13
May 1, 2004, 21:13

That's EXACTLY what they look like. As the old rhetoric goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

So you are claiming HL2 "does not require a load of talent to do", just because it is a sequel? I'm sorry, but if that is really what you mean then it implies you know *nothing* about programming/design.

New engine, major new engine features (physics, sound propagation, vehicals, etc etc etc etc...), exponentially more detailed art, much more advanced rendering routines...

Besides, people do NOT want an incrementally better Doom 2. They want levels that look like real places, advanced physics, AI that goes beyond "walk forward shooting" and gameplay challenges beyond "find the red key card" or "circle strafe the bad guy".

Claiming making Doom 3 does not require talent (again, I'll quote your original argument)...
Wazoot, making a sequel does not require a load of talent to do.
...just cuz there is a number after the title is preposterous.

Re: That sneaky Garret!
May 1, 2004, 20:26
Re: That sneaky Garret! May 1, 2004, 20:26
May 1, 2004, 20:26

Ok - The thing about Ion Storms track record has been cleared up by Scottish Martial Arts. There are two Ion Storms, and Ion Storm Austin has a record tarnished only by one game.

Wazoot, making a sequel does not require a load of talent to do. Sure the fans expect some basic upgrades and updates and such, but it's a SEQUEL. All you have to do is write up a new story then basically follow in the footsteps treaded on the previous title.

True, that is one approach to making a sequel, but if Doom 3 is just Doom 2 with fancier graphics and a handful of new features do you think people will think it's a great game? How about Half-Life 2? Many studios, including Ion Storm with Invisible War, attempt to make sequels something more than an incremental step above the previous game. This requires essentially as much talent as creating a new game (though a little time is saved by not having to define the setting). They tried something new, and it didn't work out. The question is, then, will they learn from their mistakes?

I stick by my assertion,
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=48664&id=165916&boardid=1&view=threads
that one poor game does not mean Ion Storm is suddenly incapable of making a quality title.

Re: Most awesomest Thief 3 fansite ever
May 1, 2004, 18:47
Re: Most awesomest Thief 3 fansite ever May 1, 2004, 18:47
May 1, 2004, 18:47

Is there anyone who thinks that they actually won't blow this game?

Before Invisible War, everyone considered the people at Ion Storm to be some of the most talented game developers of our time. Now, after one game, everyone seems to think they are the most talentless bunch of hacks on the planet. I wonder whether, if Thief 3 is good, people will go back to the assumption that Ion Storm employs gods of game development who never make mistakes.

Perhaps a bit of perspective is in order? Deus Ex was good. Invisible War was not. Does the fact that they made one bad game make them incapable of making another good one? Sure, Thief 3 will be released for the XBox as well, but does that mean Ion Storm cannot learn from its mistakes?

I, for one, am keeping an open mind on this title, and on Ion Storm in general. If I see the same mistakes from Invisible War all over again, I think I'll start to develop some prejudice, but not yet.

As a side note, while I was one of the first to critisize the initial Invisible War videos, the gameplay I've seen from Thief 3 actually looks fairly true to the original. Of course, you can't tell much from a 2 minute video...

May 1, 2004, 16:22
... May 1, 2004, 16:22
May 1, 2004, 16:22

A lot of people on this forum need to brush up on their sarcasm detection.

Re: wow
May 1, 2004, 14:30
Re: wow May 1, 2004, 14:30
May 1, 2004, 14:30

I liked how it wasn't the cliche "fire and brimstone" we've seen in a million other games. Truely an interesting take on the locale.

I also really liked the 2nd to last level... Well, almost all the levels were great, but I must say, the last 2 really stand out, in my mind.

Re: UN
May 1, 2004, 00:16
Re: UN May 1, 2004, 00:16
May 1, 2004, 00:16

...the rules and mandates that Iraq broke before we invaded them...

Like having weapons of mass destruc-... oh wait... hold on.
How about not allowing inspecto-... oh wait, they did... Ok just a second.
Hrm, they did have those crappy old missles that went a few miles farther than regulation allows. Maybe that is good enough reason to invade? Hmmm...

As for Saddam's track record... well, he was certainly a pretty bad guy (though I must say, there are much worse out there) though he actually did pretty well in terms of maintaining the stability of the region. Is this a reason to get involved, millitarily? Even against the wishes of the UN? That's a tough question... but I do know we (the US) have been paying heavily for our leaders' answer answer.

OMFG
Apr 27, 2004, 23:58
OMFG Apr 27, 2004, 23:58
Apr 27, 2004, 23:58

A company said they would release a game on a certain date, but then they DIDN'T! It was DELAYED! OMG This has never happened before!!! Clearly Valve, Half Life 2 and all of Valve's future games SUCK!!!!!11one

Apr 27, 2004, 23:21
Re: No subject Apr 27, 2004, 23:21
Apr 27, 2004, 23:21

The main think I remember about the Odium demo is that you could only fire shotguns at right angles to the play field, but pistols could be fired anywhere around you...

Re: slightly off -topic: Steam
Apr 27, 2004, 17:56
Re: slightly off -topic: Steam Apr 27, 2004, 17:56
Apr 27, 2004, 17:56

okay,i admit i'm taking the urine with that last question

Totally.

Hey
Apr 25, 2004, 13:44
Hey Apr 25, 2004, 13:44
Apr 25, 2004, 13:44

I hear the phantom can render over 200 lawsuits per second!

Arg
Apr 23, 2004, 19:38
Arg Apr 23, 2004, 19:38
Apr 23, 2004, 19:38

"ZOLDNER!!!"

Is it really that hard to return to the server browser automatically with the same list of servers after a failed connect? So many games either dump you back at the main menu, or force you to refresh the entire list again... uhg.

Re: You've all missed the point.
Apr 23, 2004, 02:18
Re: You've all missed the point. Apr 23, 2004, 02:18
Apr 23, 2004, 02:18

Maybe internet piracy is less of a problem than, say, terrorism, but that doesn't mean it should be ignored.

Theft is less of a crime than murder, but that doesn't mean the government shouldn't persecute thieves until every last murderer has been caught (law of diminishing returns, etc). Hrm, since when is law enforcement a waste of tax dollars...?

While I would agree, sometimes enforcement can be unfairly balenced (antitrust anyone...? How about pollution standards enforcement? Corporate raiding?), but that doesn't mean that these laws should not be enforced.

Re: well
Apr 23, 2004, 01:44
Re: well Apr 23, 2004, 01:44
Apr 23, 2004, 01:44

its the same concept. If we are going to draw the line within the concept though, saying "its ok to stop game piracy, buts immoral to stop GM crop piracy", then so be it (and explain your logic in where you place that line). But its the same concept.
Ok, I'll spell it out. You need food to live. If you do not eat food, or use some other method to provide your body with nourishment, you will die.
If you stop playing computer games, you will not die. This may be a difficult concept to grasp, but it is true. Perhaps you should try it sometime.

Clearly it is not immoral to prevent the piracy of GM crops, but it clearly is immoral to take away someone's only source of a vital necessity. One simply takes precedence.

Clearly it is not immoral to prevent the piracy of games, but it is also not immoral to deprive an individual of games, if he or she does not pay for them.

Apr 23, 2004, 01:35
Re: well Apr 23, 2004, 01:35
Apr 23, 2004, 01:35

I think Lustygoat put it best when he said:
Oh good lord, that's rich. Yeah the 'man' is stomping on you because you can't afford Far Cry. I know how you feel. I can't afford to have a pair of Italian supermodels and my own personal sushi chef follow me around, throwing gold-plated ninja stars engraved with my face at onlookers and feeding me spicy tuna rolls made in the shape of little Saturn V rockets where the tuna is like the rocket plume just because YOU SEE THE MAN IS KEEPING ME DOWN!!!! I SHED A TEAR AMERIKA!!!!!!! A TEAR FOR MY GOLD NINJA STAR DREAM YOU CRUSHED!!!!!!!!!

Apr 23, 2004, 01:32
Re: well Apr 23, 2004, 01:32
Apr 23, 2004, 01:32

I'm sorry, but comparing the denial of food to starving people and trying to prevent kiddies from pirating your computer game is simply absurd.

Oh those poor teenagers... unable to play FarCry cuz they won't buy it legitamately. Really tugs on the ol' heartstrings.

Re: by the way
Apr 23, 2004, 00:24
Re: by the way Apr 23, 2004, 00:24
Apr 23, 2004, 00:24

"Once the DRM hardware comes out this won’t be a huge issue because people must upgrade their PC to play better games"

Holy shit this is when the shit is really gonna hit the fan. The minute the companies try to pull this shit on us is the minute that gnu/linux will be on all computers in every dorm across america. Bill Gates will travel back in time and record the sample for Quake 3 Team Arena "HOLY SHIT" because he realizes what a mistake hes made. I cant wait for this moment.

I see the internet right now as the wild west, with a crapload of bandits and not very many sheriffs. People commit crimes and act like jerks cuz... hey, it's the wild west. There aren't any sheriffs around, and everyone does it. Eventually, perhaps after a long while, the internet will become like the real world. Civilized. Sure people will still steal, but they will be in the minority and be ostracized for their actions. Common morality will tell us that these actions are wrong.

Right now, the sheriffs are just beginning to move in and impose a bit of law and order. Things like DRM hardware seem unbelievable now, because we are still in the "wild west" phase. No one in the wild west would stand for a law that prohibited consealed weapons or fist fights, but as the environment becomes civilized these restrictions will feel natural.

The same goes for other illegal internet activity (worms, hacking, etc). Eventually, these actions will seem just as wrong as assault or vandalism.

Re: Anyone affected?
Apr 22, 2004, 19:42
Re: Anyone affected? Apr 22, 2004, 19:42
Apr 22, 2004, 19:42

Actually theres a bit of research that says the most downloaded songs tend to sell better

More popular songs are purchased more and downloaded more. No suprise here.

As for how less piracy would produce better games:
Less piracy -> Higher profits -> More businesses enter sector -> More ideas/games -> Hopefully some innovation somewhere in there

The first three steps are economics 101; the rest is, admittedly, conjecture. However, it does seem reasonable to assume that, with many more games in development, at least some will be quality titles.

637 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 8.
Newer [  1    3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18    32  ] Older