Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3446 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Descent Royalty Dispute
6. Re: Descent Royalty Dispute Dec 30, 2015, 14:29 Parallax Abstraction

wtf_man wrote on Dec 30, 2015, 13:46:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 30, 2015, 11:56:
How's that Fallout MMO coming along, Herve??

Bwwwaaaaaahahahahahahahaaaaahahahahaaa

Well... it apparently turned into Earthrise... Masthead and Interplay don't seem to be involved anymore... Last Blog entry is on April 2014 and the forums are offline.

I'd have to say "It's dead, Jim"

Interplay lost their dispute with Bethesda because they didn't get the MMO to the milestones they had to so I believe Bethesda owns the whole thing now. They probably sold off what little they had to whoever is now apparently not developing Earthrise any more.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube | Twitch
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Syndicate Jack the Ripper 360 Trailer
6. Re: Assassin's Creed Syndicate Jack the Ripper 360 Trailer Dec 15, 2015, 17:46 Parallax Abstraction

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 16:32:
How does Syndicate compare to Black Flag?

I loved Black Flag due to its piratical theme and ship combat. However, what I hated was the wonky controls and chasing after shit (like the shanties).

I've played every AC and Black Flag was the high point of the series. If you liked the ship stuff and didn't like the other stuff, you'll hate the newer games. Buy Rogue cheap as it's basically Black Flag II.

I did not care for Syndicate that much. Even by AC standards, it was hyper repetitive, essentially having you do the same half dozen tasks over and over again. The writing was also weak and while I liked Evie, they went the sitcom hyper stereotype route of making the woman character smart, thoughtful and strategic while the male was is a brash idiot whose lack of forethought into anything literally sets back their plans on multiple occasions. Heaven forfend Ubisoft not wildly overcompensate for last year's offendatron brigade of Unity not having a playable female character. Now we have one but they had to make the male an idiot to compensate and they also made half the gang enemies women, throwing any attempts at period accuracy aside because hey, we wouldn't want to offend anyone with things being how they actually were in the time we're supposed to be reliving. I think Syndicate did some things better than Unity and I think Unity did some things WAY better than Syndicate. Definitely don't buy either anywhere near full price. The PC version of Syndicate is miles ahead of even post-patch Unity though.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Shadwen Announced
3. Re: Shadwen Announced Dec 4, 2015, 23:31 Parallax Abstraction

This honestly looks like some early prototype footage they're releasing to hopefully drum up interest in the game (and maybe investment.) I know they said Trine 3 released the way it was because they were basically out of money. Yeah, this is definitely not a good way to go about that though. Still, gun to my head, I'd give pre-release money to this before Psychonauts 2. This is more likely to be out on time.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Psychonauts 2 Announced
7. Re: Psychonauts 2 Announced Dec 4, 2015, 12:10 Parallax Abstraction

Anyone who gives Double Fine yet more crowdfunding money is out of their mind. Broken Age was a mismanaged mess of a project that came out years late, years over its already inflated budget, split into two parts a year apart and ended up being a bad game in the game. Massive Chalice was also late and shipped with less features than it had promised, plus it launched as a Games with Gold free title on Xbox One, burning a lot of backers. Then they abandoned SpaceBase DF-9 in Early Access. And this is after years of their past publisher-funded projects having the same issues. Double Fine makes good games (sometimes) but they're a terribly run company. And when this game runs late and overbudget yet again, somehow everyone will act surprised.

Oh also, it's even scummier that Fig (the platform they're using for this) has Tim Schafer on the corporate advisory board and the company was started and is being run by his former Biz Dev guy. That's like Andy Fastow running LJM while being CFO of Enron.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Mastertronic in Administration
1. Re: Mastertronic in Administration Nov 27, 2015, 15:04 Parallax Abstraction

I hope this doesn't end up screwing over the devs of Sublevel Zero which Mastertronic published. That's a damn good game and I hope they get paid for it.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Codemasters Closes Malta Studio
2. Re: Codemasters Closes Malta Studio Nov 25, 2015, 11:36 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Nov 25, 2015, 11:03:
A studio based in Malta? Why do I get the feeling said studio only existed so middle management at their main studio could visit the Malta studio "for meetings"?

Malta is where 4A Games moved to after the Ukraine was invaded. I think there's a few other small devs there too surprisingly.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > No Arkham Knight Multi-GPU Support
7. Re: No Arkham Knight Multi-GPU Support Nov 19, 2015, 19:31 Parallax Abstraction

saluk wrote on Nov 19, 2015, 19:01:
Nail in the coffin. You guys will be lucky to get any money from pc gamers again.

Maybe that was the idea. Do so bad on the port that they can justify not bothering with ports anymore.

Publicly traded companies don't release a product just in the hope it will fail and lose money so they won't have to make them any more. They just don't make them any more. Someone at WB thought Arkham Knight was in shape to sell and also thinks this is a wise move. Given how well every Arkham game has sold on PC, despite the fact that they were basically all messes at launch (though admittedly not this bad), it seems to have been a safe bet.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 18, 2015, 18:21 Parallax Abstraction

The imbalance on the panel is pretty striking (though from what I've been reading recently, the publications involved could send whoever they wanted and they were the ones who sent almost all men.) That said, the less influence the pretentious hipsters at Kill Screen have over an award show geared in theory to represent the entire gaming audience, the better. Tale of Tales already somehow managed to get nominated for an award other than "Most Obviously Hates Their Customers." If it was up to Kill Screen, Sunset and Cibele would win every category.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > On Metal Gear Solid's Future
3. Re: On Metal Gear Solid's Future Nov 3, 2015, 13:37 Parallax Abstraction

Kxmode wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 13:13:
Saying he is on vacation is such spin. Everyone can see through the bullshit.

Yep, he's "on vacation" in the sense that he's probably running out the rest of his paid vacation time. Then he'll be gone and Konami will hope no one notices.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Activision Buys King Digital; Releases Q3 Financials
3. Re: Activision Buys King Digital; Releases Q3 Financials Nov 3, 2015, 10:13 Parallax Abstraction

This is like a nexus of evil management.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Nov 2, 2015, 12:10 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 11:19:
Syndicate looks very nice, at least. Very realistic portrayal of London. Anyone have any idea how badly they've mangled the PC port? (Is it even out yet, actually?)

It comes out in late November. Hopefully meaning they're giving Ubisoft Kiev enough time to make it a decent port this time.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: SXSW Oct 28, 2015, 21:25 Parallax Abstraction

skyguy wrote on Oct 28, 2015, 21:10:
The threats of violence coming out of gamergate have got to stop, or else someday somebody's actually going to be crazy enough to commit violence at a gaming conference.

Except there's no proof that's where the threats were coming from. Like most times this happens, it's likely third party scumbag trolls doing this for the lulz because they know events like SXSW are spineless enough to cave. In fact, the anti-harassment panel (which by the way, it led be demonstrated, frequent harasser Randi Harper) has been scheduled for months and it wasn't until the GamerGate panel was scheduled that the threats began. Funny how the media left that critical little bit out. But hey, why let facts get in the way of a good false narrative.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Steam Link Video
3. Re: Steam Link Video Oct 16, 2015, 23:19 Parallax Abstraction

Qbex . wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 20:26:
With lousy 2.0 sound, whats the point?
I'm yet to find streaming solution that let me use 5.1 sound in my theater room. Got wired Gigabit network, and beast host pc, steam in home streaming is shonky and stereo only, geforce streaming only to shield devices. Most likely have to build another htpc/gaming box

The NVIDIA Shield TV supports 5.1 but of course, you have to use an NVIDIA GPU to stream to it.

I couldn't find a review actually talking about if Steam Link does 5.1 or not but yeah, no sale for me if it doesn't. I've got a nice home theatre setup, that's definitely something I want.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > The Witcher III Patched
15. Re: The Witcher III Patched Oct 9, 2015, 21:50 Parallax Abstraction

Overon wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 19:34:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 19:07:
It downloaded the 17GB patch for me through GOG Galaxy, which promptly broke my game installation (the client literally says it's broken.) Now it has to download the entire 34GB game over again. Nice blowing through 1/6th of my monthly bandwidth allotment for that.
My sympathy. Contact GOG and let them know, maybe they will compensate you with something or give you a hearty sincere apology.

I sent in a ticket to let them know. Galaxy is still in beta so yeah, weirdness is to be expected I guess. Not the end of the world, just frustrating. I had the game on an SSD using GameSave Manager's Steam Spreader tool but after re-downloading the game, it said the symlink was broken, even though the other games I have spread to that SSD are fine. That's odd indeed.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2015, 19:09 Parallax Abstraction

Yep. The PC industry was experiencing exponential, unsustainable growth levels for years and it's starting to normalise. The tablet market has been dropping even faster and non-iPhone smartphones are too (and iPhone will soon as well.) Crazy unsustainable growth always tapers off.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > The Witcher III Patched
6. Re: The Witcher III Patched Oct 9, 2015, 19:07 Parallax Abstraction

It downloaded the 17GB patch for me through GOG Galaxy, which promptly broke my game installation (the client literally says it's broken.) Now it has to download the entire 34GB game over again. Nice blowing through 1/6th of my monthly bandwidth allotment for that.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Bethesda's BattleCry "Concerns"
12. Re: Bethesda's BattleCry Oct 8, 2015, 11:50 Parallax Abstraction

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 10:57:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 10:52:
Bethesda said something very similar before they screwed over Human Head Studios on Prey 2. This sounds very much like internal politics and someone at corporate trying to "send a message" to the developers.

How is canceling a piece of shit game "screwing over". Bethesda would be one of the last places to NOT want a return on their investment.
If they do cancel projects then it must really be massively shitty. If the developer can't do a better job then you cut the fuckers loose. Good riddance. Simple as that.

Look up Rogue Warrior if you want to see only one of the many horrible games that Bethesda has put their name on. Not to mention how virtually every one of their open world games has shipped with massive bugs, many of which take modders to fix. I wrote a thing about this back at the time. Pray 2 may have had issues (no one really knows) but Bethesda is not the world's most virtuous company.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Bethesda's BattleCry "Concerns"
6. Re: Bethesda's BattleCry Oct 8, 2015, 10:52 Parallax Abstraction

Bethesda said something very similar before they screwed over Human Head Studios on Prey 2. This sounds very much like internal politics and someone at corporate trying to "send a message" to the developers.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit
29. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 10:49 Parallax Abstraction

Popehat did an analysis of this situation. In short: Both sides are being stupid in different ways.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Patches
6. Re: Evening Patches Sep 29, 2015, 09:44 Parallax Abstraction

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 03:56:
Lots of reports that the patch is hosing down performance.

I've already beaten the game but I fired it up just now to check. Seems fine on my machine (overclocked i7-2600K and overclocked 970) but maybe the new patch has issues with certain hardware or something.

Parallax Abstraction

3446 Comments. 173 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo