Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3439 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Acer Partners for StarVR
14. Re: Acer Partners for StarVR May 15, 2016, 21:05 Parallax Abstraction

EricFate wrote on May 15, 2016, 15:06:
Has Acer ever manufactured a product that wasn't lowest bidder proprietary garbage?

Proprietary, not necessarily but lowest bidder, absolutely. Their entire mission since the 90s has been to be the cheapest available and there's a reason they are. Their products are horribly made, supported even worse and are designed to not last. Not to say some don't last but as someone who has been working with them since the 90s and has seen literally every other brand have ups and downs, Acer has never had an up. They've always been crap. It's a niche they've been quite successful at until recently but now, people use tablets and phones for the niche they used to fill. The CEO recently said he would consider selling the company but that it had very little value and whoever bought it would be buying "an empty shell." Well, it's the bed they made.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube | Twitch
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Acer Partners for StarVR
2. Re: Acer Partners for StarVR May 15, 2016, 14:11 Parallax Abstraction

Well, so much for that idea. Acer are garbage paddlers. This will likely be horribly built and supported, like everything they make.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game May 5, 2016, 09:12 Parallax Abstraction

Task wrote on May 5, 2016, 09:04:
Future of games are free to play/grind eh? Sounds like Dysopian future for games.

A bunch of clickbait hacks like The Verge have been saying this since at least 2009 and they've been consistently wrong. The "pay up front" way of selling games is doing better than it's been in years. F2P is killing it for a lucky few as well to be sure but it's ridiculous to say that only one model can exist and succeed. But then again, this is The Verge, everything they write is about clickbait anyway.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 4, 2016, 16:48 Parallax Abstraction

UWP has a ton of issues and I've never spent a dime on a UWP app but this is about Epic complaining about competition to their shitty Epic Games Launcher platform than anything legitimate. No one's forcing anyone to use UWP and most of the games that are right now are Microsoft published. Unless Microsoft's about to buy Epic from the scummy P2W company that owns them now, Sweeney should stop whining and maybe work on making his own store not hot garbage. Odd that he doesn't complain about the Apple App Store, which not only uses a similar system and is a 100% monopoly on iOS platforms but one that Apple also bought Epic's exclusivity to. Epic hypocrite.

Remember when Gabe Newell said the sky was falling because the Windows 8 Store was totally going to force out competitors like Steam? Yeah, how's that work out?

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Apr 25, 2016, 15:03 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Apr 25, 2016, 14:58:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 25, 2016, 14:44:
Beamer wrote on Apr 25, 2016, 14:41:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 25, 2016, 13:57:
Tachikoma wrote on Apr 25, 2016, 11:14:
Wow, lost for words...the logic of your average redneck redditor is astonishing: some journos fall for a trollbait = WE WUZ RITE BOUT TEH #GG GUISE!!!111!

*facepalm*...also, HL3 confirmed.

So you don't consider fact checking (that takes like, 5 minutes for this) kinda important for news sites ?

Article is beating that dead horse though, true Doesn't make it any less valid.

Does Blue never get anything wrong? Is he infallible, or is it just that people overlook it because they like Blue and realize he's doing so much that the occasional mistake, error, or bad article will come through?

Blue is an aggregator, not a journalist. There's a rather significant and obvious difference there.

It's not like these were serious stories. When it comes to these one-offs, these sites are basically also aggregators.

They fell for a Reddit hoax. I don't think there's a single news source out there that hasn't, be it in sports, politics, world news, economies, etc.

Saying "that 24 year old who has to write 5 blurbs per day on IGN should have spent a few hours going into the game and verifying this" seems unreasonable. But this is coming from the same people that, when Kotaku broke news of Fallout 4, claimed Kotaku was being unethical.

It would have taken like half an hour tops to verify the story. Don't call yourself a journalist if you can't do basic journalistic practices and are literally just copy-pasting what you see elsewhere.

As for Kotaku, if you want examples of lack of ethics and proper journalism, the leaking of Fallout 4 is among the lightest of things that site is guilty of. If you think that's a journalistic site, well fine but we have very different definitions of journalism is.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Apr 25, 2016, 14:44 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Apr 25, 2016, 14:41:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 25, 2016, 13:57:
Tachikoma wrote on Apr 25, 2016, 11:14:
Wow, lost for words...the logic of your average redneck redditor is astonishing: some journos fall for a trollbait = WE WUZ RITE BOUT TEH #GG GUISE!!!111!

*facepalm*...also, HL3 confirmed.

So you don't consider fact checking (that takes like, 5 minutes for this) kinda important for news sites ?

Article is beating that dead horse though, true Doesn't make it any less valid.

Does Blue never get anything wrong? Is he infallible, or is it just that people overlook it because they like Blue and realize he's doing so much that the occasional mistake, error, or bad article will come through?

Blue is an aggregator, not a journalist. There's a rather significant and obvious difference there.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
9. Re: Sunday Mobilization Apr 18, 2016, 14:47 Parallax Abstraction

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2016, 14:31:
Is this article worth a read? The title is so clickbaity, that I'm hesitating.

It's The Verge. Nothing there is worth reading.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Soda Drinker Pro
4. Re: Soda Drinker Pro Apr 14, 2016, 15:54 Parallax Abstraction

I can't believe people are paying money for this.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
6. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 21, 2016, 00:09 Parallax Abstraction

Digital Foundry (who are damn good at their jobs) did a video on Quantum Break. The game runs at 1080p but certain effects are rendered at 720p within that.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Beta; Video
9. Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Beta; Video Mar 12, 2016, 22:34 Parallax Abstraction

I got preview code for this beta and am hoping to stream some of it this week. I haven't touched it yet but I'm hoping it's good cause it looks awesome.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Dead Island 2 Lives
6. Re: Dead Island 2 Lives Mar 10, 2016, 13:44 Parallax Abstraction

With a few exceptions, Sumo Digital has made large ports and licensed shovelware. I hope they can do well with this but I dunno.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Open Source MAME
5. Re: Open Source MAME Mar 5, 2016, 18:58 Parallax Abstraction

Dev wrote on Mar 5, 2016, 16:55:
I believe it was previously open source non commercial, however just now it's OSI/FSF approved. I.e. a license change.

Yep. MAME's always been open source of sorts. There are a ton of different versions of it out there. Still, this is a cool move to see them make.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die
17. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 11:31 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 11:22:
SteamOS doesn't require you to buy games through Steam? I've never used it, but that sounds a bit odd.

In any case, sideloading is possible with Windows Store, or whatever the hell they call it. It sounds about as open as Steam. Which is to say, not very.

Shhhh, you're criticising the lord almighty GabeN. That's not permitted.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die
16. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 11:30 Parallax Abstraction

I don't disagree with Sweeney's criticisms and I have no plans to buy any UAP games but since he's on the subject of monopolising distribution, where will I be able to buy future Epic releases? Oh right, only on their crappy Epic Games Launcher. And didn't they give Shadow Complex away, specifically to boost the install base of said software? Hmm, where have I heard that strategy before. And isn't your highly successful Infinity Blade series exclusive to the Apple App Store, one of the most closed, restrictive and some would say, anti-competitive storefronts around?

His beefs with UAP are valid but his hypocrisy shows more than a little bit here too. If you don't like the Windows App Store (and I don't, though I love Windows 10), don't use it. Microsoft can't force you into it and if no one gives it business, it'll fall flat on its face, just like the Windows 8 Store did, just like the Windows Phone store did.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 26, 2016, 23:29 Parallax Abstraction

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 26, 2016, 14:16:
Toshiba produced consumer computers? Huh? I always thought they just built hardware for consumer computers... maybe that's why they leave that market, nobody knew they were in it.

They've been producing laptops since the 80s. They're pretty popular in my neck of the woods at least. Decently made for the price, though their driver support is pretty awful. I thought I read something lately that said them, Vaio and Fujitsu were merging their PC businesses.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Ubisoft Fighting Hostile Takeover
3. Re: Ubisoft Fighting Hostile Takeover Feb 26, 2016, 09:43 Parallax Abstraction

I don't understand this. Vivendi was apparently bleeding tons of money which is why they sold their stake in the highly profitable Activision. Now only a couple of years after doing that, they're trying to spend a pile of money to buy another publisher?  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Ranked Season One Begins
5. Re: Dirty Bomb Ranked Season One Begins Feb 25, 2016, 23:06 Parallax Abstraction

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 09:11:
Caladell wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 00:32:
It's free to play...
I know what you mean though. Played an earlier beta, and was completely underwhelmed.
Its infested with cheaters. 10 times worse than CSGO, which is bad already.
Too bad, because its a real cool concept and a lot of fun.

They replaced their anti-cheat system a while back and in 15+ hours I've played of it in the last two weeks, I had one single match where something felt suspicious.

Honestly, this game is what Brink should have been. I tend to flame out of competitive online shooters fairly quick but I've played a lot of this and am still really enjoying it. It is free-to-play but the business model is fair and reasonable (I've unlocked a bunch of new Mercs and loadouts and haven't spent a penny), there are a lot of people playing it and it's fast and encourages teamwork organically. I've only once played it with more than one person I know and teams tend to gel and get effective together fairly quick.

It's honestly been quite a pleasant surprise to me.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Master of Orion Early Access Next Week; Voice Cast Detailed
3. Re: Master of Orion Early Access Next Week; Voice Cast Detailed Feb 18, 2016, 12:07 Parallax Abstraction

They're clearing spending some real money on this thing. I hope the game is as good as the cast.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Hitman GO: Definitive Edition Next Week
5. Re: Hitman GO: Definitive Edition Next Week Feb 15, 2016, 16:13 Parallax Abstraction

Hitman GO is actually a pretty decent game and if the port is done well, could be good on PC and console. It was a proper "Pay and get everything" mobile game, not a free-to-play microtransaction fest. It's not a typical Hitman game as it's a turn-based strategy thing but it's very well made and quite challenging. I enjoyed it on my Android phone and I play very few mobile games I think are worth anything. If this port this well and it's not twice the price as on mobile, it could be cool.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Hatred Developer's New Greenlight
4. Re: Hatred Developer's New Greenlight Feb 11, 2016, 11:34 Parallax Abstraction

Well, they're actually releasing games which is one up on RWS.

Another crappy game that's riding controversy to make sales. And the press will probably give them all the free PR they could ever want, just like they did with Hatred.

Parallax Abstraction

3439 Comments. 172 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo