Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3607 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Blazing Chrome Released
3. Re: Blazing Chrome Released Jul 11, 2019, 16:51 Parallax Abstraction

NKD wrote on Jul 11, 2019, 14:44:
Might be some Internet Explorer 3.0 DNA in there too.

Love me some ActiveX! I hear it's the wave of the future.

Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SolSeraph Released
2. Re: SolSeraph Released Jul 10, 2019, 14:21 Parallax Abstraction

Sorry for the self-promotion but I figured it's relevant.

I played this for over 3 hours on my stream yesterday evening. It is 100% a modern day Act Raiser. They've added some light tower defense elements and more, shorter platforming segments to try to modernize it (I mean as awesome as Act Raiser was, the town building was pretty basic) but it's definitely the Act Raiser concept.

The difficulty and the territory control mechanic are a little strange and some will take or leave the art style but if you are yearning for a modern Act Raiser, get it.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact
30. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 14:59 Parallax Abstraction

jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 14:42:
You can't sell for $45 on EGS and $60 elsewhere.

What about the exclusives then? Because that hasn't been happening with them either. Epic is asking us to use a feature barren, insecure store and literally offering no incentive to do so beyond "The devs get more money" (which shouldn't be the consumer's concern) or "It'll lead to lower prices maybe" (which it hasn't.)

You compete by doing things better than the other guy, not by spending the money you could be using to do that, to bribe other companies in an attempt to strongarm your way into a market you aren't prepared for.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Stardock, Paul, and Fred Settle Star Control Lawsuits
9. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jun 13, 2019, 11:50 Parallax Abstraction

Stormsinger wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 19:29:
A more likely explanation is that both sides finally clued into how much they were annoying their fanbase, and finally decided to just let it go, rather than continue to destroy the cash cow. This claim that they're going to work together, I'll believe when I see an actual game come out of it.

Star Control II is my favourite game of all-time and Star Control: Origins was one of my top games of last year but this series is not a cash cow by any means. SC: Origins didn't sell that well, partially because a lot of people don't remember the series (which hadn't had a new entry since 1996) and a lot of those they did buy it complained it was too much like the old games (which is exactly what I wanted but not what most people did.)

Both Stardock and Paul & Fred were making these games more out of passion than for a guaranteed payday and a lot of the fight that they had was for similar reasons. You're right in that they were pissing off the fans (I did a very ranty podcast where I basically took both groups to task for dragging the community into their online pissing match) and I think the nature of this new agreement is an attempt to show the fanbase that they've truly settled this amicably but money is not the primary motivator here. Paul & Fred are wealthy co-managers of Toys for Bob at Activision and Brad Wardell has said before that Stardock makes little off their games division and that their Windows enhancement software basically funds it because it's a business he and his staff want to be involved in. This was never ultimately about money for them, which is definitely a weird thing in the games industry today.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Romero Games Announces Empire of Sin
13. Re: Romero Games Announces Empire of Sin Jun 12, 2019, 09:32 Parallax Abstraction

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 21:47:
"John Romero wants to make you his pitch"

How do you sleep at night Grin

"On top of a pile of demons, with many beautiful WAD files."

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Chivalry 2 Announced
5. Re: Chivalry 2 Announced Jun 11, 2019, 09:27 Parallax Abstraction

So, when Mordhau is already out on Steam and doing everything this is promising and more besides, their solution is to go Epic exclusive. Between this and Mirage: Arcane Warfare, I don't think Torn Banner has the best decision makers at the top. It's looking more and more like they got lucky with the first Chivalry and have been floundering that success ever since.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Barotrauma Early Access
4. Re: Barotrauma Early Access Jun 5, 2019, 23:13 Parallax Abstraction

I streamed this in co-op with a friend for a couple of hours tonight. It's VERY Early Access right now and I definitely don't recommend playing it without friends (even the developer says the AI is dumb as rocks right now) but it has a LOT of potential. If the AI improves or you got a good co-op posse who works together, this would be a super satisfying experience. And as my friend and I demonstrated, even when you fail, you can laugh about it. There's already Steam Workshop content too.

I'd wait a while unless you can get some friends to buy in with you but yeah, we'll definitely be playing it more.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Quake II RTX Specs
18. Re: Quake II RTX Specs Jun 4, 2019, 09:13 Parallax Abstraction

LOL, just a little while ago, NVIDIA made a bit of a deal about how some RTX features were being made available to Pascal cards through driver updates. But apparently they're so useless, you can't even run Quake II without one of their shiny new cards.

There's also rumours that NVIDIA will be revealing "super editions" of their cards at lower price points at E3, partially to try to steal thunder from AMD's Navi but also because no, those cards aren't selling as fast as Pascal because they're insanely overpriced, only bring a mediocre performance improvement over the last generation and RTX is basically DOA.

Rumours also are that Navi is not going to light the world on fire but I hope it does and I also hope that Intel can actually succeed in their own efforts to get into discreet graphics as well. NVIDIA's been riding their near monopoly in high-end graphics to screw consumers and some real competition (especially from two companies instead of just one) will be great for gamers.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. May 7, 2019, 17:57 Parallax Abstraction

The Pitch: How A Former Magician Became One of the Most Toxic CEOs In Gaming

Coming Fall 2019

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Get Gone Home for Free
12. Re: Listening to pop corn pop is more entertaining Apr 27, 2019, 21:51 Parallax Abstraction

Kain wrote on Apr 27, 2019, 07:36:
Wesp5 wrote on Apr 27, 2019, 05:05:
WitcherOntheProwl wrote on Apr 26, 2019, 23:43:
This is one of the worst games I've ever played. Super, super, super, super boring.

I agree. I wouldn't even call it a game, it's just a walking simulator in which you go around opening stuff! I think this and Dear Ester started an endless list of Indie games from developers who just can't handle NPCs so everybody is always gone and I can't ever remember any explanation for this that was satisfying...

I was always confused why the press was tripping all over themselves to love up this up. I have no problem with the idea that its a non-traditional game or even the value proposition. What bothers me is that even if you accept it on its merits and treat it like a bit of an interactive novel, it's frankly not a very good one. The writing is mediocre, the story is filled with red herrings and pacing problems. The themes its trying to represent are admirable but handled clumsily so its comes off as patronizing and stretches credulity. The whole game just sort of fails at being anything of substance.

This and Firewatch are some of the most overrated indie titles I've seen. If people want something with better writing and at least a bit of actual gameplay and impact then they should play Life is Strange.

Free is free but if you value your time, I think you can find higher quality enjoyment elsewhere.

The press was tripping overthemselves to praise this game because it was made by Steve Gaynor, who is a darling of the press and because it involved "progressive" subject matter (I won't spoil it.)

In the end, it's a very contrived and generic story that's been told a million times before and often better. It has really amazing environment art and the voice acting is quite good but the writing is generic young adult novel fare at best. But no one wanted to be the critic that went against the grain.

I've played and enjoyed some "walking simulators" but I have high standards for the genre because it means you think your story is so good, it doesn't need game play to back it up. Some can actually pull this off (SOMA, Observer, Layers of Fear, Transference, Firewatch to a point) but this one just doesn't. It's still leagues better than Dear Esther though, at least this story actually makes and kind of sense.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Apr 3, 2019, 16:59 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 16:43:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 16:31:
Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 15:58:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 15:26:
Clickbait rags like Polygon, Waypoint and Kotaku (save these occasional investigative pieces) are the enemy of gamers and the elements of the industry they choose to put in their crosshairs (which usually isn't the AAA ones for some totally inexplicable reason.) What is now laughably called the "enthusiast press" seems to somehow have found a way to be profitable by hating their audience.

When did you go all alt-right? I don't feel like you used to be this way, but "hating their audience?"

If you think disliking Polygon et al. and the endless moral grandstanding and lecturing that they consider games coverage makes me alt-right, you really need to understand what being alt-right truly means. Not agreeing with the methodology of these ultra-left sites does not suddenly make someone alt-right. My views are actually quite progressive on most issues (and I can send you a video example to demonstrate them, not that I really have to justify myself to someone who judges my entire character based on two sentences) but the types of coverage those sites provide is a parody of progressive views, because moral lectures and attacking anyone they disagree with is sadly, very profitable. Outrage is now a business model and it's fed by the likes of sites like that.

I think "hating their audience" is a GamerGate/Alt-Right slogan. And really not true. Show me an article that has them hating their audience. I don't think you can. Perhaps they hate you, if you're the type to run around calling everyone the F word or whines about female characters, but then again, if you do that, you're not their audience.

Much of this comes back to "gamers" feeling like they're the audience of all things games, which isn't true, is ludicrously entitled, and is where half these issues come from in the first place (it amazes me how many people think review-bombing something is smarter than saying "well, I guess that's made for someone other than me.")

The mental gymnastics in this are quite impressive. For starters, "hating your audience" isn't a slogan, it's a phrase. If you're assigning that to a particular group or movement's views based on me using it, you're wrong. Gamergate didn't have a slogan as far as I know, ot that I was a part of that trainwreck. Given that you're the one who leapt to "you disagree with me and therefore you're alt-right", I'm not inclined to go through websites I generally refuse to read, giving them clicks trying to find an example that you'll just pick apart to justify invalidating anyway. You've clearly made up your mind already and well, this ridiculous rush to judgement of a person's character based on a disagreeing opinion is pretty much exactly the problem I was calling out to begin with.

I don't go around calling everyone anything obscene (though apparently you're not above associating people with white nationalists for disagreeing with you, maybe think about that) and I actually think quality female characters in games are awesome. But I also don't like web sites that associate me with the alt-right because I believe that people like Zoe Quinn are frauds, (something that's been factually demonstrated multiple times, look up her Chuck Tingle Kickstarter for a recent example) or that it's hypocritical for so-called journalists who scream because some female characters aren't covered up enough for them, to then pass around the Hot Ryu meme or talk about how hot Kratos was in the new God of War. Or how Polygon constantly likes to write articles about poor representation of minorities in games, when the majority of their staff are white as snow. Or how Variety thinks playing The Division 2 for less time than it takes to complete half of the campaign and then writing a 2,000 word political lecture that borders on the unintelligible, is somehow a "review."

You're right, myself and the many like me are not their audience. Maybe that's why these sites are dying a slow death. Personally, I think expecting the wider gaming audience to be the way they envision they should be and judging and attacking entire swaths of people based on very little of substance, is extremely entitled myself.

But again, you've already made up your mind and it's frankly sad that you've judged me as alt-right without knowing anything about me, the progressive causes I support and all the money I've raised for a charity that the games press actually quite likes, because I dared to say in two sentences, that they are not serving the wider gaming audience well.

EDIT: Guess some people don't like getting called out on their own BS.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2019, 11:52.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September
46. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 16:34 Parallax Abstraction

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 16:31:
God damn, gamer entitlement on full, naked display in this thread.

Gaming gods forfend that people have a right to demand value for money and be upset when they don't get it. Publishers aren't entitled to our money and support, they earn it. Or should.

Parallax Abstraction

45. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 16:33 Parallax Abstraction

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 15:46:
Hahahahaha hell hath no fury like a Steam elitist scorned.

Comedy gold. Keep the whinging comin' guys!

P.S.: To lighten up the mood a little... look at the bright side, it could be A LOT worse. Imagine they'd put it on the Microshit PC store with UWP garbage and everything. Y'all should thank Cranky Bitchdork for sparing y'all that horror at least.

The Windows 10 Store is awful. And it has more and better features than the Epic Games Store does right now. And doesn't have to beg people to setup 2FA because accounts get hacked in droves every single day.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Apr 3, 2019, 16:31 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 15:58:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 15:26:
Clickbait rags like Polygon, Waypoint and Kotaku (save these occasional investigative pieces) are the enemy of gamers and the elements of the industry they choose to put in their crosshairs (which usually isn't the AAA ones for some totally inexplicable reason.) What is now laughably called the "enthusiast press" seems to somehow have found a way to be profitable by hating their audience.

When did you go all alt-right? I don't feel like you used to be this way, but "hating their audience?"

If you think disliking Polygon et al. and the endless moral grandstanding and lecturing that they consider games coverage makes me alt-right, you really need to understand what being alt-right truly means. Not agreeing with the methodology of these ultra-left sites does not suddenly make someone alt-right. My views are actually quite progressive on most issues (and I can send you a video example to demonstrate them, not that I really have to justify myself to someone who judges my entire character based on two sentences) but the types of coverage those sites provide is a parody of progressive views, because moral lectures and attacking anyone they disagree with is sadly, very profitable. Outrage is now a business model and it's fed by the likes of sites like that.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Apr 3, 2019, 15:26 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax Abstraction

26. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 13:19 Parallax Abstraction

I don't mind waiting 6 months. I have more games in my backlog than I can possibly to get to anyway.

I'm not an "I don't want multiple launchers" type. I have Origin, GOG, Uplay, Windows Store and probably some others too. However, the Epic Store is feature barren compared to even its weaker competitors and seems to have another major security issue every second week. When they get feature competitive and sort out their security, I will happily use them. Not until then and not for games based on bribed exclusivity that they chose to spend their massive warchest on instead of launching a competitive product.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Interviews
8. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 22, 2019, 21:49 Parallax Abstraction

jamiedj99 wrote on Mar 22, 2019, 20:46:
no need for links just exit the program and run your game from the short cut not sure how I can dummy it down for you. I don't have Epic Store Run in the background while I play games sold in the Epic Store. Second Be self-informed you have heard of a google search before asking a stupid question. So in the end that my final answer Bob!

Just tested this with two of the free games I got from Epic. You are wrong. Maybe do your own test before telling people to do a Google search and looking stupid.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 Announced
12. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 Announced Mar 22, 2019, 11:17 Parallax Abstraction

I'm cautiously optimistic because Paradox knows what they're doing but the developer of this is Hardsuit Labs, a team that was formed out of the closure of Zombie Studios and whose CV so far consists of a bunch of Unreal Engine console port work and maintaining Blacklight: Retribution. Not exactly a lot there that shows them capable of making a huge, AAA, single-player RPG and a sequel to what many consider one of the best mechanics and story focused RPGs ever.

Paradox doesn't want to screw this up though and they know it so I'm definitely interested, just cautiously so.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives "PROCOMPETITIVE"
82. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 19, 2019, 12:31 Parallax Abstraction

dsmart wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 08:05:
That's not Epic's fault. They're using their financial war chest to get exclusives in order to seed their store.

Maybe if they spent that war chest on making a store that was secure, had a decent UI and was even remotely competitive on features with almost any of the other major platforms instead of bribing devs into exclusivity, gamers would be less upset. I know I would be.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives "PROCOMPETITIVE"
81. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 19, 2019, 12:31 Parallax Abstraction

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 09:39:
Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 00:22:
OMG! I have to download a game from a different colored window. This is an outrage!
nailed it

A different coloured window that has a terrible UI, zero features like cloud saves, overlays, achievements and many more that almost all their competition has, doesn't allow you to buy keys from third-party sites, is rife with security problems and has customer support that barely exists.

But sure, just strawman it all down to "people don't want another launcher."

Parallax Abstraction

3607 Comments. 181 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo