Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3444 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Interviews
11. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 25, 2016, 21:03 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Aug 25, 2016, 07:19:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 23:20:
I don't support Gamergate in the form it took but crap like this is why it's absolutely undeniable that corruption and cronyism are rampant in the games press. I didn't always agree with Austin Walker but I really thought he was above this kind of garbage.

I usually agree with your posts, but I tend to find people that complain about "corruption and cronyism" in the gaming press either don't understand how enthusiast media works or have unrealistic expectations.

Gaming press is enthusiast media. It's no different than Teen Beat or Fangoria. Every single bit of information it gets comes from PR and developer relationships, and there's no avoiding that because those are the only people with information to give.

The other day I saw people claiming corruption and cronyism because a game on Steam Greenlight, made by a small Russian team, wasn't getting coverage. It had no one doing PR, it had no word of mouth, and its devs don't go to conferences. That's how journalists find games to cover, though. These are small operations that don't pay well.

Again, they're basically Fangoria.

You're free to take that line if you want but as someone who has lived and breathed this medium and consumed countless amounts of coverage of it over the years, I very much disagree. Sure, there was corruption, cronyism and outright payola going on back in the day. So what? Because it happened in the past means it's OK now?

Something being an "enthusiast medium" doesn't give a free pass for those covering it to write positive coverage about their friends (and their hyper-niche products that would get ignored if they weren't friends), without basic disclosure. It doesn't give them the high ground to constantly insult their audience, calling them some of the worst things you can call a person, not because they acted horribly, but simply because they disagreed or asked questions. It doesn't give them the high ground to demand that creators censor themselves or be sanctioned for making a game they didn't politically disagree with. Don't like This Is the Police? Don't like the marketing for the new Deus Ex? That's absolutely your right and absolutely within your purvue to call out. What is not within your purvue is calling Eidos Montreal or WeAppy Studio racists and bigots because games should cover important social issues but only in the exact, hyper-narrow way you think they should and otherwise, the creators are evil. And it certainly doesn't give them the high ground to write fluff pieces about frauds like Zoe Quinn, painting her as this incredibly brave woman who stood up to "The Internet" and never mentioning the fact that she's been making thousands of dollars from her fans for years and done absolutely nothing with it. You don't get to call yourselves journalists when you do stuff like that and you sure as shit don't get to go insulting your audience for pointing it out and not expect pushback.

The incredible arrogance and narcissism in what can be called "games journalism" now astounds me. There are horrible people on the Internet but it's trivially easy to separate the passionate audience from the trolls. They didn't, they lumped us all together, declared an entire identity dead in one voice after arranging it in private forums (odd, I thought these people were supposed to be competing) because it was easy and generated outrage clicks. And they expected to be rewarded with more business for this and wonder why YouTube and Twitch (which I create in and which has so many, many problems of its own) are ruining them. That's not just unethical, it's just plain despicable.

There are dozens of incredible indie games coming out every day that none of these sites talk about. You know how I know? Because I get review codes and press kits for them on a daily basis. I'm a nobody on YouTube (I don't even have 1,000 subs) but these developers practically beg me to cover their games (many of which are really great) because the big sites ignore them, instead devoting time and energy to calling Eidos Montreal racists or fluffing up pretentious drivel like Sunset or profiling someone who made one non-game and hasn't made anything since in years. These aren't games that have no marketing and no one behind them. It's PR agencies giving me these codes, rarely is it the devs themselves. I try to cover all this stuff because I want devs to think they can trust me with review codes but they shouldn't have to come to YouTube nobodies to get exposure. They should be getting it from the big sites but talking about actual, real, good games isn't as lucrative as constantly insulting your audience, writing about your friends and declaring an industry evil without a shred of proof.

If anything "enthusiast press" should be better than the mainstream because they should know how to serve their niche audience the best. The games press is 100% backwards on that right now. And they wonder why they're dying. Good riddance.

As I said, I do not support GamerGate in its current form. I could go on and on and on about the problems it's always had or how what it's turned into is pretty disgusting in many ways. However, especially at the beginning, it was also grossly misrepresented and a lot of that is why it continues and has morphed into what it is now.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube | Twitch
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 24, 2016, 23:20 Parallax Abstraction

Wow, Austin Walker's VICE Gaming is basically becoming exactly what I thought it would. That's a shame.

Forget since Gamergate, Quinn has done literally nothing since releasing Depression Quest (which was not only bad but a very bad tool to use to self-diagnose depression), aside from making thousands of dollars a month on Patreon just to complain online and scream harassment when anyone contradicts her.

Right after the Polaris GAME_JAM mess, she said she was going to start Rebel Jam as a response. Game jam's are usually organised in a matter of days but it's been almost two and a half years and all it has to show for itself is a placeholder web site. She also ran a harassment campaign against The Fine Young Capitalists, a feminist focused game jam who was competing with her's. They've released a game, meanwhile Camp's Not Dead, the game she was supposed to be working on, is nowhere in sight and now she's apparently working on another one?

She got a bunch of money from Feminist Frequency and the official backing of Twitter to start Crash Override Network, which launched months late, refuses to show any of the supposedly good work it's done and oh yeah, one of its counsellors was recently caught sexually harassing a bunch of the female victims he was charged with helping. Several members of the organisation were also shown to have banded together to attempt a dox of someone they disagreed with online. You know, the exact kind of thing they're given money to prevent.

She has made tens of thousands of dollars to do basically nothing but whine on the Internet. Nearly every project she has said she would do, she hasn't done and not only has not a single member of the gaming press asked why, they continue to write fluff pieces like this, holding her up as some sort of paragon of indie game development, while people who work their asses off to produce actual, real content without thousands a month from e-begging, basically get ignored.

I don't support Gamergate in the form it took but crap like this is why it's absolutely undeniable that corruption and cronyism are rampant in the games press. I didn't always agree with Austin Walker but I really thought he was above this kind of garbage.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: AMD bundles garbage with garbage Aug 24, 2016, 15:11 Parallax Abstraction

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 10:50:
Awesome

I'm just picturing being handed a binder of CJ_Parker's post history with every new CPU purchase. Worst bundle ever.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Season Pass Details
14. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Season Pass Details Aug 22, 2016, 23:35 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 23:14:
I think you mean "usually reads the headline and makes some sort of extreme comment based on his misunderstanding that would be easily avoided if he read even the first paragraph."

And then bails out of the thread after his drive-by snark.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Nordic Games Becomes THQ Nordic
2. Re: Nordic Games Becomes THQ Nordic Aug 12, 2016, 10:03 Parallax Abstraction

You'd probably be surprised how many would still recognise the THQ name and many of those probably don't even know it failed.

The weird part is thq.com still points to THQ's old site from just before they went bankrupt. Weird to go through the process of buying a brand and renaming yourself with it and still leave the web site like that.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
13. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 10:35 Parallax Abstraction

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 10:06:
"Now they're doing it to Steam"...has steam been broken or gimped in any way with win10? Or is this speculation? I haven't noticed anything change in regards to functionality.

I've been running 10 since launch and Steam is fine in it. In addition to that, Phil Spencer has already said Microsoft has no plans to cripple external game software this way (Hell, he's said that Microsoft's UWP games will also be sold on Steam) and that it would be suicide for their OS strategy to do so. Steam is a near monopoly on PC and Microsoft knows it. There are a LOT of Windows users out there who only are because of gaming (I'm not one of those people but I know that's the case) and if they cripple the most popular way to play games, they'll lose those people to Linux or gods forfend, Mac.

If he's going to talk about people restricting things to walled gardens, maybe he should allow people to play Epic games on platforms other than this shit Epic Games Launcher. Oh right, do as he says, not as he does.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2016, 10:41.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > RimWorld Early Access
6. Re: RimWorld Early Access Jul 15, 2016, 22:41 Parallax Abstraction

I'm hoping to stream some of this in a bit. A friend of mine has been talking it up for a while but I wasn't paying much attention to it. Then I suddenly got an unsolicited review code the other day. Some have said this is like Dwarf Fortress in space which kind of terrifies me but I'm eager to check it out.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > System Shock Remake Funded
23. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 09:23 Parallax Abstraction

Rigs wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 04:22:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 10, 2016, 22:54:
I've gotten a LOT of Unity review codes for my channel...

How have I missed that channel after all this time? You talk about the same things I look for and watch on YT all the time. And not once has your channel been suggested to me. Maybe that means I'm not being monitored as much as I feared?

In any case, it's good to be able to put a face to a name. There's only a scant few here on Blue's that I can do that with. (Mr. James Allen of 'Out of Eight' being one) I wish I knew what everyone looked like, if only so I could have that mental picture while reading posts. One of us should set up a directory of sorts so fellow Blues members can look for each other. At least until we all agree on a site and time for the first annual BlueCon...

=-Rigs-=

Oh I can talk your ear off about the rigged system that is the YouTube suggestions bar. It basically only promotes what's already popular. New channels who don't get a viral hit have a Hell of a time growing right now. I've been doing YouTube for 3 years and don't even have 1,000 subs yet, though I principally do it for fun so whatever.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > System Shock Remake Funded
12. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 10, 2016, 22:54 Parallax Abstraction

I really hope they don't stick with Unity honestly. I've gotten a LOT of Unity review codes for my channel and with a couple of exceptions, those games all have the same issues in common: Real dumb tech problems (nearly every Unity game starts on my second monitor and they don't work properly with Xbox One controllers unless you use a custom input wrapper, confirmed to me by two Unity developers), they almost all look dated and yet have way higher system requirements to run worth a damn than games that look like that should have. The reason nearly every Unity game runs like garbage on consoles isn't devs not knowing how to optimise, it's a core engine issue that's only now kind of, sort of getting fixed in the latest releases of Unity 5.

Unreal Engine has none of these issues as it's an engine that was designed for PC first. Unity is a mobile and web engine that's had additional functionality and platform compatibility bolted onto it and as I understand it, has never had a complete rewrite. Unity's dead simple to work with as a dev but it's crap tech from the end user side.

I played the demo for this remake and after seeing how it ran (can't maintain 60 on an overclocked GTX 970 at 1080p) and looked and then seeing the big Unity stamp on the menu, I really hope they either make major modifications to the engine or yeah, switch to something that's up to the production value they claim to be aiming for.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Jul 10, 2016, 22:49 Parallax Abstraction

He's right, Steam reviews do suck. That's why I go to YouTube, watch some critics I trust and who have done right by me, play and talk about the game for a while and if it looks like I'll dig it, I buy it and have 2 hours to return it if it turns out I was wrong.

Hiring a bunch of the hack writers in the "enthusiast press" who are losing their jobs because of YouTube, Twitch and the ever-growing relying on outrage clickbait, is a bunch of money wasted solving a problem that can be easily solved by a little bit of your own research.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jul 4, 2016, 12:31 Parallax Abstraction

Valve's a US company though and I'm pretty sure the Competition Bureau has no authority over them in this case. Could be wrong but I think that's the case.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 3, 2016, 12:59 Parallax Abstraction

As someone who works in managed IT, Java can't die off soon enough for me. Practically every week, there's a new major security hole found in it. The auto-updater requires admin rights to even check for a new version. The JRE is bloated and slow. And Java's supposed biggest advantage which is write once, run anywhere has been rendered pretty much obsolete by a bunch of other APIs that are much more efficient. Oracle's pretty much bungled it completely.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 2, 2016, 10:53 Parallax Abstraction

I did a live first impressions stream of Pharaonic yesterday. It's a damn good game but unapologetically a 2D Dark Souls. The Milkstone team makes some good games.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 30, 2016, 23:01 Parallax Abstraction

I can't believe Fig even launched without these approvals in place. And CliffyB just recently announced he invested heavily in the company. Boggles my mind. Their main strategy was literally not ready when they launched the site and they marketed the Psychonauts 2 campaign as having investor features that still aren't there. Everything about this site seems fishy. Though it makes it a perfect place for the next Tim Schafer mismanaged disaster.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 23, 2016, 11:23 Parallax Abstraction

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 10:57:
Also this paragraph says it all:

"This is how it goes. If it weren’t for Apple we’d probably still be using computers with VGA and serial ports. The essence of Apple is that they make design decisions “no one asked for”."

What an ignorant douche.

Apple fanboy is fanboy. You don't go to Daring Fireball to read anything but ravenous defense of that company.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > It Came from E3 2016, Part 6
12. Re: It Came from E3 2016, Part 6 Jun 21, 2016, 11:49 Parallax Abstraction

Tachikoma wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 03:09:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 23:18:
Man, I wish that was true. Polygon's actually really popular. So is Kotaku and all the other sites that care more about faux outrage clickbait than actual journalism.

Translated: "I hate Polygon and Kotaku because they didn`t took the 4chan/alpha male/red Pill side in the Great War and they`re full of SJW scum and so I`m gonna keep on spreading that faux narrative about "journalism" (even though I wouldn`t know what real journalism is even if it came over pinch my raging butt)"

Wow, how can I possibly compete with such a well-reasoned, thoughtful response. If you think not liking a site that's full of some of the most arrogant writers in the industry, regularly attacks their audience, goes to paid review events to not do their job (look up Colin Campbell's "preview" of Rock Band 4) and is littered with conflicts of interest is just me being an MRA, congratulations, you're part of the problem and why those who are actually making a reasoned fight for equality are being lumped in with outrage warriors. Grow up.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > It Came from E3 2016, Part 6
6. Re: It Came from E3 2016, Part 6 Jun 20, 2016, 23:18 Parallax Abstraction

Des wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 20:12:
They apparently have more writers than we have readers.

HA!

Man, I wish that was true. Polygon's actually really popular. So is Kotaku and all the other sites that care more about faux outrage clickbait than actual journalism.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 16, 2016, 07:42 Parallax Abstraction

When he was in his fight with Interscope Records, he was actively encouraging people to pirate his music so that they wouldn't get any money from it. Now that he gets all the money, suddenly YouTube is evil and built on pirated content. Two-face much there Trent?  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Killing Floor Incursion Announced
1. Re: Killing Floor Incursion Announced Jun 13, 2016, 20:19 Parallax Abstraction

Nothing like announcing a new game when the last one is still in Early Access after like a billion years.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 9, 2016, 09:46 Parallax Abstraction

"Hey, you shouldn't have that much power over people's data! That's OUR job!"  
Parallax Abstraction

3444 Comments. 173 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo