Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3597 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Apr 3, 2019, 16:59 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 16:43:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 16:31:
Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 15:58:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 15:26:
Clickbait rags like Polygon, Waypoint and Kotaku (save these occasional investigative pieces) are the enemy of gamers and the elements of the industry they choose to put in their crosshairs (which usually isn't the AAA ones for some totally inexplicable reason.) What is now laughably called the "enthusiast press" seems to somehow have found a way to be profitable by hating their audience.

When did you go all alt-right? I don't feel like you used to be this way, but "hating their audience?"

If you think disliking Polygon et al. and the endless moral grandstanding and lecturing that they consider games coverage makes me alt-right, you really need to understand what being alt-right truly means. Not agreeing with the methodology of these ultra-left sites does not suddenly make someone alt-right. My views are actually quite progressive on most issues (and I can send you a video example to demonstrate them, not that I really have to justify myself to someone who judges my entire character based on two sentences) but the types of coverage those sites provide is a parody of progressive views, because moral lectures and attacking anyone they disagree with is sadly, very profitable. Outrage is now a business model and it's fed by the likes of sites like that.

I think "hating their audience" is a GamerGate/Alt-Right slogan. And really not true. Show me an article that has them hating their audience. I don't think you can. Perhaps they hate you, if you're the type to run around calling everyone the F word or whines about female characters, but then again, if you do that, you're not their audience.

Much of this comes back to "gamers" feeling like they're the audience of all things games, which isn't true, is ludicrously entitled, and is where half these issues come from in the first place (it amazes me how many people think review-bombing something is smarter than saying "well, I guess that's made for someone other than me.")

The mental gymnastics in this are quite impressive. For starters, "hating your audience" isn't a slogan, it's a phrase. If you're assigning that to a particular group or movement's views based on me using it, you're wrong. Gamergate didn't have a slogan as far as I know, ot that I was a part of that trainwreck. Given that you're the one who leapt to "you disagree with me and therefore you're alt-right", I'm not inclined to go through websites I generally refuse to read, giving them clicks trying to find an example that you'll just pick apart to justify invalidating anyway. You've clearly made up your mind already and well, this ridiculous rush to judgement of a person's character based on a disagreeing opinion is pretty much exactly the problem I was calling out to begin with.

I don't go around calling everyone anything obscene (though apparently you're not above associating people with white nationalists for disagreeing with you, maybe think about that) and I actually think quality female characters in games are awesome. But I also don't like web sites that associate me with the alt-right because I believe that people like Zoe Quinn are frauds, (something that's been factually demonstrated multiple times, look up her Chuck Tingle Kickstarter for a recent example) or that it's hypocritical for so-called journalists who scream because some female characters aren't covered up enough for them, to then pass around the Hot Ryu meme or talk about how hot Kratos was in the new God of War. Or how Polygon constantly likes to write articles about poor representation of minorities in games, when the majority of their staff are white as snow. Or how Variety thinks playing The Division 2 for less time than it takes to complete half of the campaign and then writing a 2,000 word political lecture that borders on the unintelligible, is somehow a "review."

You're right, myself and the many like me are not their audience. Maybe that's why these sites are dying a slow death. Personally, I think expecting the wider gaming audience to be the way they envision they should be and judging and attacking entire swaths of people based on very little of substance, is extremely entitled myself.

But again, you've already made up your mind and it's frankly sad that you've judged me as alt-right without knowing anything about me, the progressive causes I support and all the money I've raised for a charity that the games press actually quite likes, because I dared to say in two sentences, that they are not serving the wider gaming audience well.

EDIT: Guess some people don't like getting called out on their own BS.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2019, 11:52.

Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September
46. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 16:34 Parallax Abstraction

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 16:31:
God damn, gamer entitlement on full, naked display in this thread.

Gaming gods forfend that people have a right to demand value for money and be upset when they don't get it. Publishers aren't entitled to our money and support, they earn it. Or should.

Parallax Abstraction

45. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 16:33 Parallax Abstraction

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 15:46:
Hahahahaha hell hath no fury like a Steam elitist scorned.

Comedy gold. Keep the whinging comin' guys!

P.S.: To lighten up the mood a little... look at the bright side, it could be A LOT worse. Imagine they'd put it on the Microshit PC store with UWP garbage and everything. Y'all should thank Cranky Bitchdork for sparing y'all that horror at least.

The Windows 10 Store is awful. And it has more and better features than the Epic Games Store does right now. And doesn't have to beg people to setup 2FA because accounts get hacked in droves every single day.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Apr 3, 2019, 16:31 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 15:58:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 15:26:
Clickbait rags like Polygon, Waypoint and Kotaku (save these occasional investigative pieces) are the enemy of gamers and the elements of the industry they choose to put in their crosshairs (which usually isn't the AAA ones for some totally inexplicable reason.) What is now laughably called the "enthusiast press" seems to somehow have found a way to be profitable by hating their audience.

When did you go all alt-right? I don't feel like you used to be this way, but "hating their audience?"

If you think disliking Polygon et al. and the endless moral grandstanding and lecturing that they consider games coverage makes me alt-right, you really need to understand what being alt-right truly means. Not agreeing with the methodology of these ultra-left sites does not suddenly make someone alt-right. My views are actually quite progressive on most issues (and I can send you a video example to demonstrate them, not that I really have to justify myself to someone who judges my entire character based on two sentences) but the types of coverage those sites provide is a parody of progressive views, because moral lectures and attacking anyone they disagree with is sadly, very profitable. Outrage is now a business model and it's fed by the likes of sites like that.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Apr 3, 2019, 15:26 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax Abstraction

26. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 13:19 Parallax Abstraction

I don't mind waiting 6 months. I have more games in my backlog than I can possibly to get to anyway.

I'm not an "I don't want multiple launchers" type. I have Origin, GOG, Uplay, Windows Store and probably some others too. However, the Epic Store is feature barren compared to even its weaker competitors and seems to have another major security issue every second week. When they get feature competitive and sort out their security, I will happily use them. Not until then and not for games based on bribed exclusivity that they chose to spend their massive warchest on instead of launching a competitive product.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Interviews
8. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 22, 2019, 21:49 Parallax Abstraction

jamiedj99 wrote on Mar 22, 2019, 20:46:
no need for links just exit the program and run your game from the short cut not sure how I can dummy it down for you. I don't have Epic Store Run in the background while I play games sold in the Epic Store. Second Be self-informed you have heard of a google search before asking a stupid question. So in the end that my final answer Bob!

Just tested this with two of the free games I got from Epic. You are wrong. Maybe do your own test before telling people to do a Google search and looking stupid.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 Announced
12. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 Announced Mar 22, 2019, 11:17 Parallax Abstraction

I'm cautiously optimistic because Paradox knows what they're doing but the developer of this is Hardsuit Labs, a team that was formed out of the closure of Zombie Studios and whose CV so far consists of a bunch of Unreal Engine console port work and maintaining Blacklight: Retribution. Not exactly a lot there that shows them capable of making a huge, AAA, single-player RPG and a sequel to what many consider one of the best mechanics and story focused RPGs ever.

Paradox doesn't want to screw this up though and they know it so I'm definitely interested, just cautiously so.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives "PROCOMPETITIVE"
82. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 19, 2019, 12:31 Parallax Abstraction

dsmart wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 08:05:
That's not Epic's fault. They're using their financial war chest to get exclusives in order to seed their store.

Maybe if they spent that war chest on making a store that was secure, had a decent UI and was even remotely competitive on features with almost any of the other major platforms instead of bribing devs into exclusivity, gamers would be less upset. I know I would be.

Parallax Abstraction

81. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 19, 2019, 12:31 Parallax Abstraction

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 09:39:
Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 00:22:
OMG! I have to download a game from a different colored window. This is an outrage!
nailed it

A different coloured window that has a terrible UI, zero features like cloud saves, overlays, achievements and many more that almost all their competition has, doesn't allow you to buy keys from third-party sites, is rife with security problems and has customer support that barely exists.

But sure, just strawman it all down to "people don't want another launcher."

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards
9. Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards Mar 18, 2019, 23:39 Parallax Abstraction

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 22:59:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 22:45:
I was watching a dual 2060 computer the other day try to run Anthem with ray tracing on, what a joke. Ray Tracing is a complete waste of die space on the 20xx series.

Well this is interesting since Anthem doesn't have ray tracing or casting in it yet.

Or SLI/NVLink support.

Parallax Abstraction

19. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 18, 2019, 14:16 Parallax Abstraction

Frijoles wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 10:33:
He should stop talking.

Tim Sweeney is famous for having no filter and not knowing when to shut up, much like Bobby Kotick was a number of years back.

The thing I find hilarious is he spent years taking massive public dumps on Steam, Microsoft and others for trying to twist the PC into some kind of walled garden platform, in no small part because of exclusives. But now that him and his Chinese masters at Tencent are the ones getting paid, walled gardens are suddenly pro competition.

I'm not a "I don't want multiple launchers" guy and use a number of different platforms. Epic is the only one I will actively avoid buying anything on until it gets its house in order and becomes remotely competitive on features and service.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Mar 4, 2019, 11:17 Parallax Abstraction

I did a podcast on the THQ Nordic thing.

Stupid as their move was, it was the games press and professional outrage mongers like Zoe Quinn who blew up the brand, not the company. They actually admitted their screw up, apologized, the guy who made the error actually put his name on the apology but outrage mobs led by the press and people like ZQ are calling for a THQ Nordic boycott and for the guy's career to be destroyed. People aren't allowed to be human and make mistakes any more and it's the Polygons of the world that perpetuate this. They need to go.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Mar 4, 2019, 11:13 Parallax Abstraction

They're really well done and their narrator is absolutely top shelf. Surprised I haven't heard him in anything else.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > GOG.com Layoffs
27. Re: GOG.com Layoffs Feb 26, 2019, 10:22 Parallax Abstraction

I forget where I read it but they said yesterday that Cyberpunk will be on other services as well as they believe in consumer choice (listening Epic?)  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > THQ Nordic Acquires Warhorse Studios & 18POINT2
1. Re: THQ Nordic Acquires Warhorse Studios & 18POINT2 Feb 13, 2019, 10:41 Parallax Abstraction

Thought THQ Nordic was a good fit for Warhorse. Then I saw it was their Deep Silver division who bought them. i.e. the "Let's make Metro Exodus Epic Store exclusive" people. Ugh.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Starbreeze Sells System Shock 3 Publishing Rights Back to OtherSide
3. Re: Starbreeze Sells System Shock 3 Publishing Rights Back to OtherSide Feb 12, 2019, 13:12 Parallax Abstraction

Given how badly OtherSide hosed up Underworld Ascendant, I'm still quite worried about this, though I'm glad they were able to decouple it from the Starbreeze mess. Surprised they had the funds to buy it back given how badly UA did. Guess it was quite a fire sale.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity
28. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 11, 2019, 09:25 Parallax Abstraction

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 14:00:
Where was the ghashing of teeth when Metro Exodus was exclusively on Steam.
Oh wait, there was none. Wink

Forgive the self-promotion but I did an episode of my ramble podcast that explains why the outrage over Metro Exodus is way more complicated than that.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Star Control Origins Back on GOG.com
4. Re: Star Control Origins Back on GOG.com Jan 29, 2019, 10:28 Parallax Abstraction

Apparently the staff were furloughed but have been recalled and they were only furloughed very recently so they weren't off work for long. Good news indeed, said as someone who believes there's blame on both sids of this dispute, but who also really likes Star Control: Origins.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Star Control: Origins Available Again
18. Re: Star Control: Origins Available Again Jan 3, 2019, 00:10 Parallax Abstraction

The limited post history of the two accounts that suddenly started posting a lot more right around the time this issue came up is to put it mildly, highly suspect to me.

In the time leading up to when I released my podcast on this subject, I read and watch some exhaustive analysis of this dispute by actual lawyers and anyone claiming they have a definitive answer as to who is at fault here and in what way, does not know what they're talking about.

While I with my limited outsider knowledge, tend to side with Stardock on this, it is not remotely clear who is in the wrong here and quite possibly, could be both parties to differing extents.

Parallax Abstraction

3597 Comments. 180 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo