Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3634 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On the 2019 PC Content Spending Downturn

35. Re: Re: On the 2019 PC Content Spending Downturn Jan 25, 2020, 16:19 Parallax Abstraction

Kxmode wrote on Jan 25, 2020, 05:53:
there's only ONE version of Borderlands 3. ONE Metro Exodus. ONE Phoenix Point. And ONE Shenmue 3. You can't buy another version of those games on another store.

Not to sound like I'm defending Epic because I have no interest in doing so but you can get Metro Exodus and Phoenix Point through the Windows Store and also get them on PC through Game Pass. The Outer Worlds too for that matter (that's how I played it.) I'm not sure what loophole developers are able to use to get around their Epic deals this way but a number have and more seem to be.

Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black

8. Re: Into the Black Jan 10, 2020, 23:47 Parallax Abstraction

I only got to see them in concert twice but I stil vividly remember it both times. A truly amazing show to see in person.  

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Into the Black

6. Re: Into the Black Jan 10, 2020, 22:59 Parallax Abstraction

Rush is my favourite band of all-time by light years and got me through some very hard times in my youth. Neil Peart was a singular talent in a band full of singular talents and what he had to endure in his life plus this shows that the life can just be a massive dick to people who don't deserve it.

Watched the R40 Blu-ray tonight at a volume that makes me glad my downstairs neighbour is almost never here. Recorded a long podcast episode talking about my memories of the band that I hope I can post tomorrow, just for some bit of closure.

The news was a kick to the soul today. Rest in peace professor.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed

21. Re: Op Ed Jan 7, 2020, 10:15 Parallax Abstraction

It's the tail end of a console generation so it's time for all the hand-wringing clickbait about the death of the industry to start. Same thing happened last time when everyone said consoles and PCs were dead and everything was going to be on tablets. They were wrong then and they're wrong now.  

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Mobilization

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 20, 2019, 10:26 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Dec 20, 2019, 09:49:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Dec 20, 2019, 09:46:
Just another way to collect user data.

Yes, that's a great way to describe Androidsmartphones.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Epic Games Store Wishlist and Review Plans

26. Re: Epic Games Store Wishlist and Review Plans Dec 20, 2019, 09:16 Parallax Abstraction

Still no shopping cart, still no ability to gift games, still only has cloud save functionality for a few games and it's unreliable at best, no achievements, no any other number of things after a year of release and the bottomless pit of money Epic has.

Meanwhile, Steam recently released a feature that lets you play any local multiplayer game online with near zero input lag and only requires one person to own the game you're playing. And GOG is about to release one of the best unified launcher applications ever written.

But please Epic Defence Force, tell me again how Epic is better for consumers.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed

10. Re: Op Ed Dec 13, 2019, 00:14 Parallax Abstraction

The Epic exclusivity bribes have been constantly pitched by Tim Sweeney and his sycophants as giving developers the financial means to take the time with their games they need to make sure they ship in the best way possible because they won't be crunched to hit a deadline. That's supposed to be the primary benefit of this for consumers and even that isn't happening.  

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed

6. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2019, 20:55 Parallax Abstraction

I am amazed that people still come out in defense of Glumberland. They announced their exclusivity in the most condescending, patronizing way possible and when anyone criticized them for it (even politely), responded with vitriol and attacks, including but not limited to telling long-term Patreon backers who can no longer buy the game because Epic doesn't support their currency that they were acting entitled by expecting to be able to buy the game they'd been backing for months.

But of course, nothing can even be the fault of the devs themselves, not even a little bit. No, they can act as assholish as they want towards the customers they theoretically want but a handful of scumbag trolls (and it's always a handful, inflated as it to be a meaningful number) do what trolls do and this is suddenly an epidemic of hate.

I'm not a "Steam or nothing person." Right now, I have Steam, Origin, GOG, Uplay and Game Pass (Windows Store) installed, plus I own all the consoles. Epic's store is unfinished, feature barren, has laughable customer service (granted, so does Steam but Epic is supposed to be better) and has had multiple security and privacy breaches this year alone. I am not entitled for wanting to be able to buy games on a platform that isn't garbage, I am a consumer expecting developers to earn my business.

I am a huge indie game advocate but the economics of the developer's businesses are their problem, period. I don't own stakes in their studios and they don't care where my money comes from, so why am I supposed to care where theirs comes from? If you want to take an Epic deal, please feel free. I won't buy your game until it either a) Comes somewhere else (for example, I played Outer Worlds on Game Pass and bought Control on sale for Xbox One) or b) The Epic store becomes some semblance of complete and shows they have their security issues sorted.

This is a business, it's not a charity. Customers are entitled to expect choice and value for money and to complain about it when they don't get it. Do a handful go to far? Yes and that's unacceptable but welcome to the Internet. In the case of Glumberland, maybe don't insult your customers if you don't want strong feedback. Reap what you sow.

Let's not forget games like RUNE II, which took Epic money and then the developers abandoned it the day after launch. Or Phoenix Point, which took Epic money and still launched a broken mess. Or Mechwarrior 5, which took Epic money and launched basically unfinished and a dumbed down version of previous MechWarrior games (though it's Pirahna Games, I don't know what people expected.) Anyone who thinks the 88/12 split that Epic is offering now is sustainable in the long-term is kidding themselves. There's a reason that when Steam just launched an incredible system that allows you to play ANY local co-op or competitive game online, the Epic store is still lacking basic things like a shopping cart. When the Fortnite money rolls out, they won't be able to keep bleeding on their store.

But I'm sure RedEye and the other members of the Epic Defense Force will swoop in soon to tell me what a scumbag I am. They always do.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending

28. Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 10, 2019, 09:12 Parallax Abstraction

necrosis wrote on Dec 9, 2019, 21:02:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 9, 2019, 19:47:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 9, 2019, 19:27:
Who's stupid idea was it to charge full or near full price for a game that's been available on PC for over a year? Do they seriously think people are going to be okay with this? After a year of release on a platform (PC is the platform), it should be selling for 19.99.

Why? Why not fleece the Steam elitists while they can? I know I would!

That's the cool thing about EGS exclusivity for the devs and publishers: Double dipping galore.

They have a ton of guaranteed sales both from Steam elitists as well as drive-by sales from the 90 million active users/month.
Win-win-win situation for them to go EGS exclusive. Money up front, money from selling on the EGS for a year, even more monies from the Steam/GOG (etc.) release (and also from being able to put it on more key stores).
Because everyone who uses/would rather use Steam is an elitist.

Jesus fucking Christ...|

It's CJ being CJ, I don't know why anyone takes anything that self-admitted troll says seriously.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Spintires: Chernobyl Next Month

3. Re: Spintires: Chernobyl Next Month Nov 18, 2019, 15:11 Parallax Abstraction

My friends and I love playing these games but what a weird series. Oovee burned their relationship with the developer of Spintires, who went on to develop Mudrunner and eventually Snowrunner with Saber Interactive. It was called Spintires for a while, now it isn't any more. Oovee basically went dark and was thought to be out of business but now they're back developing DLC to the original Spintires and doing it with another dev.

Friggin' weird.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Rune II Released; Human Head Closes

12. Re: Rune II Released; Human Head Closes Nov 13, 2019, 18:51 Parallax Abstraction

Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 15:41:
Wait. If they're closing, and they're the publisher, who's getting the money? Epic?

The management I imagine. Bethesda didn't buy the Rune IP and they also didn't buy Human Head, they just hired all the employees to help start a new studio from scratch that they wholly own.

This was clearly something they planned to do for a long time. I thought the whole point of Epic exclusivity bribes was to provide financial cushioning so devs didn't have to risk going under if their game didn't sell. That's what both Sweeney and several devs have said. On top of this, their Twitter statement said the game has exceeded their day one sales expectations. Big deals with Bethesda don't happen overnight so this really looks like the management just took as much money as they could, shoved the game out the door and are now bailing out with the riches. Anyone who wants to see this game on consoles or something not the Epic store, don't count on it.

They claim the game will continue to get support but don't lay out how that's going to work when none of the employees work for the company any more and Bethesda's not going to want them spending time on their payroll supporting a game they don't own. If I were anyone who bought this rushed mess, I'd refund it and wait to see if they actually do step up and support it. If they do, buy it again.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Rune II Released; Human Head Closes

11. Re: Rune II Released; Human Head Closes Nov 13, 2019, 18:46 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 17:58:
Golder wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 14:11:
Uh, the game they released just before this is The Quiet Man, and really that shows that the studio went downhill a long time ago

Brink. 'Nuff said.

That was Splash Damage, who sold to a Chinese company a few years ago.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > New Steam Library Launches

9. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 08:20 Parallax Abstraction

Hope you all like massive wastes of screen space.  

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed

1. Re: Op Ed Oct 30, 2019, 12:35 Parallax Abstraction

The lack of self-awareness in this article is hysterical. If a dev or publisher deviates from the press' group-think even a little bit, they are publicly eviscerated for it. And they actually wonder why they're scared of being political.

In before the usual suspects call me alt-right for recognizing that shades of grey exist in the world.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Fallout 76 Launches Fallout 1st Private Server Program

10. Re: Fallout 76 Launches Fallout 1st Private Server Program Oct 23, 2019, 16:51 Parallax Abstraction

I'll take "You can't make this shit up" for $1,000 Alex.  

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > The Outer Worlds Reviews

15. Re: The Outer Worlds Reviews Oct 22, 2019, 13:57 Parallax Abstraction

Full pre-loads went live last night and you can get it now. It's 37.3GB.  

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Deliver Us The Moon Delivered

2. Re: Deliver Us The Moon Delivered Oct 11, 2019, 13:53 Parallax Abstraction

I played a pre-release demo for this at PAX and was very intrigued. The devs kindly gave me a press code so I'm hoping to stream this soon. Very excited for it.  

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed

6. Re: Op Ed Oct 11, 2019, 12:20 Parallax Abstraction

If people want 4K textures in their big open-world games, those things need space.  

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Star Control: Origins: Earth Rising: The Syndicate Released

2. Re: Star Control: Origins: Earth Rising: The Syndicate Released Sep 25, 2019, 00:01 Parallax Abstraction

Star Control II is my favourite game of all-time and I think this is a very worthy successor that I've enjoyed a lot. Taking the previous games out of the equation, if you like open-ended exploration and combat strategy games with a quirky sense of humour, this holds up well on its own.  

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Permanent Ban Wave

6. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Permanent Ban Wave Sep 19, 2019, 19:10 Parallax Abstraction

They're a private company, you don't have any guarantees of free speech there. And if you're making that complaint, your behaviour in the game is probably what was ruining it for the rest of us who don't act like idiots. The fewer players like you it has, the better.  

Parallax Abstraction

3634 Comments. 182 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >