Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3505 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Starbreeze Publishing Psychonauts 2 Jul 3, 2017, 00:11 Parallax Abstraction

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 1, 2017, 12:52:
The Robotron for 2017 review is actually for a game called Nex Machina. It does look pretty fantastic. Not surprising, considering its pedigree (Housemarquee). The video review sold me on it, buying it on the mobile app.

Correct, it is of Nex Machina. I don't like having to preface my video titles with keyword bait like that but I'm a tiny channel and unfortunately, doing that does drive more views from search results. Blue usually gets the title right but I guess he was in a hurry.

Glad you enjoyed the video. The game is fantastic indeed. My content's been spotty lately cause life has been kind of a mess the last couple of months but I'm hoping to record another video tomorrow and get more regular ones coming in the next couple of weeks. My channel's actually experienced a decent amount of growth in views thanks to Blue posting my links so thanks for watching!

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube | Live Streams
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
29. No subject Jun 25, 2017, 19:21 Parallax Abstraction

While this situation looks suspicious to put it mildly, Derek Smart is also one of the last people I would trust to comment on it objectively.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series Finale Next Week
1. No subject May 22, 2017, 10:18 Parallax Abstraction

It's been amazing how little buzz I've heard around this season of this game. I have no idea if it's any good or not. I almost started it, then got swamped with a backlog so I never picked it up. Will probably grab the whole season on sale.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
8. Re: Saturday Mobilization May 21, 2017, 23:41 Parallax Abstraction

KS wrote on May 20, 2017, 14:07:
Why would Netflix care? They want their app spread around freely. It requires a paid account to use.

Because if you're using a rooted device, it's a lot easier to get around Netflix's DRM and record content from it to distribute on torrents later. Of course, it's not like this isn't already being done anyway.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > New Life is Strange Game Announced
6. No subject May 19, 2017, 10:08 Parallax Abstraction

I streamed the whole thing as it came out. I enjoyed it in general (though some of the characters grated on me, though I feel that was intentional) but without spoilers, the ending felt downright Mass Effect 3 bad to me. I was really let down and frustrated by that and it soured the series a little bit to me. I'm curious what they'll do with the follow-up as it'll have to be about a totally different set of people.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. No subject Apr 27, 2017, 23:19 Parallax Abstraction

Funny, this massive undeserved hero of the gaming press has finally finished her series (I think what, 5 years after the promised date on Kickstarter?) and I didn't see a single article beyond this about it today. The gaming press were tripping over themselves to prop her up whenever she said a single thing, regardless of whether or not it was true but there's very little today. Interesting how they've gotten bored of her. Probably because based on what comes out of rags like Polygon, Kotaku and Waypoint these days, Sarkeesian's message is probably not nearly extreme enough for them any more.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Vivendi and Ubisoft to Finally Get a Room?
10. Re: Starbreeze Publishing Psychonauts 2 Apr 26, 2017, 17:19 Parallax Abstraction

Kxmode wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 16:49:
Echoing Slick's comment... absolutely. Once a company goes public they're no longer have the luxury of private ownership. Publically traded firms have a fiduciary responsibility to maximize investor returns within the constraints of what's lawful. Engaging in a "hostile" takeover by buying all available PUBLIC shares, is fully within what is legal. UbiSoft lost the moment they went public.

Technically, any corporation has a legal obligation to maximise shareholder value. Just when it's a private company, it's a smaller group of shareholders who tend to see the big picture more often. Valve could spend a ton of money to say, fix their abhorrent customer service but they don't.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS vs Cheating
2. No subject Apr 13, 2017, 12:03 Parallax Abstraction

battle royale with cheese game

Well done Blue.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Herald: An Interactive Period Drama and Stories Untold Demos
1. No subject Apr 7, 2017, 19:52 Parallax Abstraction

I did a first impressions video of Herald earlier this week that Blue kindly linked. It's neat if you want a different spin on the Telltale formula. It's in a very different time period, with a fictionalised history and it's much more limited in scope but it's the same core concepts, done by a much smaller team for a smaller price. Definitely not for everyone (and based on both the sales and views on my video, not even that many) but some cool ideas.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > CD Projekt RED's CYBERPUNK TM
6. Re: Starbreeze Publishing Psychonauts 2 Apr 7, 2017, 12:06 Parallax Abstraction

LiTh wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 10:23:
Cutter wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 09:51:
Not cool, regardless of how they try to 'splain it. Why not a TM for "Cyberpunk 2077" the video game? Once again this just shows how drastically the USPTO needs to be overhauled.

Perhaps so they can have a sequel and have already bought the rights to past Cyberpunk #### content?

They actually addressed that point in their statement. But that assumes Cutter actually read it before running his mouth.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Gearbox Issues Ultimatum to G2A
9. Re: Starbreeze Publishing Psychonauts 2 Apr 6, 2017, 22:42 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Apr 6, 2017, 22:21:
Well Gearbox knows a thing or two about shoddy practices so they're in good company. And fuck Total Biscuit. You try living somewhere where your dollar is weaker than others and get charged more for games while others in the same boat get price breaks. If not for key resellers most devs would be seeing a lot less sales overall.

Ahh yes, the old "drop in a thread, make one most full of claims without a shred of evidence and then bail out" style of Cutter post. You might want to spend a few minutes learning how currency conversion works.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Steam Discovery Changes Will "Fight Fake Games"
13. Re: Starbreeze Publishing Psychonauts 2 Apr 4, 2017, 12:13 Parallax Abstraction

I watched TB's video and if they changes they are talking about come to pass, it will be a big improvement. Kind of disappointed they involved Sterling. He doesn't want these fake games gone from Steam, one of his most popular series is his low-effort taking the piss out of them. They're a profit driver for him. In recent years, Sterling has shown that his position on something is based solely on how many views and Patreon dollars it gets him. He doesn't have a view of his own, it's based around what he thinks will satiate his audience the most. Say what you will about TB and I can say plenty but his opinions are genuine and based on the best interests of his audience, not what will get him more views.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews
17. Re: Starbreeze Publishing Psychonauts 2 Mar 20, 2017, 11:11 Parallax Abstraction

descender wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 09:56:
Did you actually read all of those reviews or do you just assume that they all agree with your preconceived notions about the game based on one shit RPS article? They certainly aren't all doom and gloom... I've no dog in this fight, I was never going to buy this game after ME3 no matter what they did... but the demo was far less of a tragic experience than most of the early reviews would have you believe.

I watched Giant Bomb play the game live for over 2 hours to form my opinion. I saw horrendous animations, many of which were worse than the last generation Mass Effect games, Tumblr fanfic level writing, bland, flat voice acting, boring fetch quests, combat that hasn't evolved an inch in the last decade and oh yeah, it was buggy as all get out as well. The Giant Bomb guys are huge Mass Effect fans and they were all like "I don't know about this man..." I don't care about reviews, I care about real-world impressions and neither they nor me were impressed. This is a game that was made by a BioWare B-team that either didn't have the talent needed or were forced to ship it before it was ready. It's telling that up until close to release, EA basically showed nothing of this game to the press other than some concept videos. They weren't confident in it.

If there are people out there enjoying it, that's awesome and I'm happy for them. But let's not pretend like this game doesn't have serious issues and that the people down on it are just haters. I very much wanted this to be good and it isn't. I'll play it some day, when it's $15 or less with all the DLC included. An epic shitton of incredible, huge, open-world games came out in this quarter. Mediocre doesn't cut it right now.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews
2. No subject Mar 20, 2017, 09:38 Parallax Abstraction

Don't worry, they'll continue to.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > SEGA Acquires Crytek Black Sea
2. No subject Mar 8, 2017, 09:21 Parallax Abstraction

They downsized to two studios last year and they basically have to give away CryEngine now because Amazon's free Lumberyard Engine is based on it. I'm guessing they won't survive the year.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. No subject Mar 6, 2017, 10:20 Parallax Abstraction

I think Nintendo's attitude towards dead pixels is pretty dumb, especially at the system's launch but it's also the same stance literally every monitor and laptop manufacturer takes as well. Hell, even the $1,000 ROG Swift isn't guaranteed to not have dead pixels. Don't get me wrong, it's a ridiculous industry policy to claim that a certain amount of defect is OK but it's not like Nintendo's the only one doing this.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Hello Games New Project Plans
8. No subject Mar 3, 2017, 11:16 Parallax Abstraction

I have a strong suspicion that before this game ships, Hello Games will quietly undergo a rebranding.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Starbreeze Publishing Psychonauts 2 Mar 2, 2017, 22:19 Parallax Abstraction

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 21:12:
Creston wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 20:18:
30 Billion... Has Snapchat ever actually earned a profit?

Would it surprise you to hear that, to date, this company has not made a single $ profit? Has no monetization idea, and has no idea how to ever actually turn a profit?

Apps are the new .coms.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > System Shock Remake Gets Unreal
16. No subject Mar 2, 2017, 12:45 Parallax Abstraction

Switching to Unreal was a smart move. As someone who covers a lot of different games, Unity titles almost always look dated and run substantially worse. That engine still hasn't shaken off its mobile/web based roots. It's easy to use and get started with but it's not up for high-fidelity titles unless you're prepared to do a LOT of optimisation with it. I've never played anything in Unity that has this kind of scope and both looks better than Unreal and doesn't run substantially worse.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Erik Wolpaw Leaves Valve
28. Re: Starbreeze Publishing Psychonauts 2 Feb 18, 2017, 17:20 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 12:32:
The KillSmith wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 10:51:
ViRGE wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 20:11:
While I'm happy that Erik is (apparently) getting to do what he wants, it sounds like Valve has an employee retention problem. It's not a good sign when your employees are leaving to be baristas (or for that matter, that they can afford to do so).

Apparently you didn't catch Erik's sense of humor.

Kind of wondered that as well.

I can't remember where I read it but apparently a lot of employees have shares in the company. One of the reasons they aren't public is that they want to keep it employee owned as that method works with their flat "choose your own job/no hierarchy" structure.

Parallax Abstraction

3505 Comments. 176 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo