Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3624 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Rune II Released; Human Head Closes

12. Re: Rune II Released; Human Head Closes Nov 13, 2019, 18:51 Parallax Abstraction

Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 15:41:
Wait. If they're closing, and they're the publisher, who's getting the money? Epic?

The management I imagine. Bethesda didn't buy the Rune IP and they also didn't buy Human Head, they just hired all the employees to help start a new studio from scratch that they wholly own.

This was clearly something they planned to do for a long time. I thought the whole point of Epic exclusivity bribes was to provide financial cushioning so devs didn't have to risk going under if their game didn't sell. That's what both Sweeney and several devs have said. On top of this, their Twitter statement said the game has exceeded their day one sales expectations. Big deals with Bethesda don't happen overnight so this really looks like the management just took as much money as they could, shoved the game out the door and are now bailing out with the riches. Anyone who wants to see this game on consoles or something not the Epic store, don't count on it.

They claim the game will continue to get support but don't lay out how that's going to work when none of the employees work for the company any more and Bethesda's not going to want them spending time on their payroll supporting a game they don't own. If I were anyone who bought this rushed mess, I'd refund it and wait to see if they actually do step up and support it. If they do, buy it again.

Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rune II Released; Human Head Closes

11. Re: Rune II Released; Human Head Closes Nov 13, 2019, 18:46 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 17:58:
Golder wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 14:11:
Uh, the game they released just before this is The Quiet Man, and really that shows that the studio went downhill a long time ago

Brink. 'Nuff said.

That was Splash Damage, who sold to a Chinese company a few years ago.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > New Steam Library Launches

9. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 08:20 Parallax Abstraction

Hope you all like massive wastes of screen space.  

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed

1. Re: Op Ed Oct 30, 2019, 12:35 Parallax Abstraction

The lack of self-awareness in this article is hysterical. If a dev or publisher deviates from the press' group-think even a little bit, they are publicly eviscerated for it. And they actually wonder why they're scared of being political.

In before the usual suspects call me alt-right for recognizing that shades of grey exist in the world.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Fallout 76 Launches Fallout 1st Private Server Program

10. Re: Fallout 76 Launches Fallout 1st Private Server Program Oct 23, 2019, 16:51 Parallax Abstraction

I'll take "You can't make this shit up" for $1,000 Alex.  

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > The Outer Worlds Reviews

15. Re: The Outer Worlds Reviews Oct 22, 2019, 13:57 Parallax Abstraction

Full pre-loads went live last night and you can get it now. It's 37.3GB.  

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Deliver Us The Moon Delivered

2. Re: Deliver Us The Moon Delivered Oct 11, 2019, 13:53 Parallax Abstraction

I played a pre-release demo for this at PAX and was very intrigued. The devs kindly gave me a press code so I'm hoping to stream this soon. Very excited for it.  

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed

6. Re: Op Ed Oct 11, 2019, 12:20 Parallax Abstraction

If people want 4K textures in their big open-world games, those things need space.  

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Star Control: Origins: Earth Rising: The Syndicate Released

2. Re: Star Control: Origins: Earth Rising: The Syndicate Released Sep 25, 2019, 00:01 Parallax Abstraction

Star Control II is my favourite game of all-time and I think this is a very worthy successor that I've enjoyed a lot. Taking the previous games out of the equation, if you like open-ended exploration and combat strategy games with a quirky sense of humour, this holds up well on its own.  

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Permanent Ban Wave

6. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Permanent Ban Wave Sep 19, 2019, 19:10 Parallax Abstraction

They're a private company, you don't have any guarantees of free speech there. And if you're making that complaint, your behaviour in the game is probably what was ruining it for the rest of us who don't act like idiots. The fewer players like you it has, the better.  

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Rune II Open Beta Preloads

2. Re: Rune II Open Beta Preloads Sep 17, 2019, 23:31 Parallax Abstraction

I got code for the first closed beta and streamed it for a bit. Even looks aside, it was a horribly unbalanced, laggy, poorly controlling mess. And this was maybe two months ago. A lot can happen in the short period leading up to release but it had a LONG way to go at that point.

With a couple of exceptions (Metro Exodus and Borderlands 3), most of the games taking Epic exclusivity are titles that weren't certain of their commercial success potential and wanted their exclusivity sales guarantees to hedge their bets. That's definitely what this one's feeling like.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Steam Top 10

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 16, 2019, 00:08 Parallax Abstraction

jdreyer wrote on Sep 15, 2019, 17:09:
Greedfall outsells Gears? Didn't see that coming.

The vast majority of Gears 5 players are likely playing it with Game Pass, which doesn't count as a Steam sale.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Interviews

5. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 29, 2019, 22:39 Parallax Abstraction

Simon Says wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 21:33:
NKD wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 21:24:
The era of "Trickle Down Game Quality" where somehow publishers banking tons of extra money leads to better games, or lower prices, instead of bigger payouts to execs.

xD Priceless!

Yep, having the approval of Koch is not something you want, quite the contrary. LOL

Not that it matters but Koch Media has nothing to do with Koch Industries, which is how people think of when they think of the Koch Brothers.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives

28. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 25, 2019, 23:30 Parallax Abstraction

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 19:45:
Be Forewarned; For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. There are no ways around it. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. This is serious sticks and stones stuff, I just thought you should know, I wish you the best.

Yeah, massive strawmanning really helps lend credence to your arguments.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed

22. Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2019, 11:52 Parallax Abstraction

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 08:03:
When both of ya'll walk into a shoe store I'd be amazed if they all didn't fit.

But go ahead, keep defending this behavioir because they "should have known" and "it's the internet". ffs

Do you support dozing and swatting with the same fervor. What about review bombing.

And now you're twisting yourself into false equivalences, much like the Ooblets developer did when they tried to claim that because climate change exists, people shouldn't be upset by this. I don't know why you seem so intent on coming into every thread about frustrated consumers and acting as if you're all high and mighty, the only enlightened one and that there can only even be one party in the wrong in any given situation. You clearly like things like the Epic Games Store and presumably, are happily using it. Good for you. So why do you always need to act not unlike this developer in every thread where people state their own issues with it? Just go enjoy what you enjoy and accept that not everyone agrees with you.

These devs are taking pages from the Zoe Quinn PR Playbook, doing something purposefully incendiary, then playing themselves as the victim and getting more PR for their product among the crowd who blindly support such people (of which there are more than you think.) I think it's despicable and between this and now relying on an Epic exclusivity paycheque, shows that they don't have a lot of faith in their own product but hey, their strategy and they can do what they want. I and many others, will not touch a product with the name Glumberland on it ever again and I think they're being assholes in terms of their behaviour. That doesn't in any way justify the garbage like death threats they're getting but that also doesn't mean they can't be called what they are: Hostile towards their audience and within certain limits, reaping what they sow.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2019, 22:19.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Piranha Games on MechWarrior 5 Epic Games Store Exclusivity

20. Re: Piranha Games on MechWarrior 5 Epic Games Store Exclusivity Jul 31, 2019, 13:34 Parallax Abstraction

They've also been handing press copies of Satisfactory out like candy to any streamer or YouTuber with even a modest following, including a lot who are big Fortnite streamers and have Epic Creator Tags, which give them a cut of the sale. I'm sure they're not counting those press copies as sales but by handing out so many to big Fortnite streamers (who by extension, have a huge audience with the Epic Launcher already installed), it was probably a smart move to drive organic sales. Just a theory though.

They did offer me a press code for it (and I'm a tiny Mixer streamer with 1,500 followers, who pulls an average or 10-20 concurrent viewers a stream) and I'll be co-streaming it with someone this weekend, who is even smaller and also got offered a code. I literally have a chat timer that says "I don't think you should use the Epic Store right now but if you do and this game looks cool, here's my tag to help support me." I make next to nothing in commission from affiliate links and donate all the proceeds to Extra Life, I just use it for the tracking data to show indie devs I'm worth dealing with. People are always free to make up their own minds but I won't hide my opinion of Epic just because I got the game for free.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Interstellar Space: Genesis Released

2. Re: Interstellar Space: Genesis Released Jul 25, 2019, 22:24 Parallax Abstraction

I streamed about 90 minutes of this tonight, which barely scratches the surface of it honestly. I'll be streaming a lot more of it soon. This game is being pitched as a spiritual successor to Master of Orion 2 (my second favourite game of all-time) and it definitely shares a LOT in common with that, while adding some twists of its own. It's not a looker and has some bugs so far but I really enjoyed what of it I played and look forward to more of it.

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 2019, 22:47.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Blazing Chrome Released

3. Re: Blazing Chrome Released Jul 11, 2019, 16:51 Parallax Abstraction

NKD wrote on Jul 11, 2019, 14:44:
Might be some Internet Explorer 3.0 DNA in there too.

Love me some ActiveX! I hear it's the wave of the future.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > SolSeraph Released

2. Re: SolSeraph Released Jul 10, 2019, 14:21 Parallax Abstraction

Sorry for the self-promotion but I figured it's relevant.

I played this for over 3 hours on my stream yesterday evening. It is 100% a modern day Act Raiser. They've added some light tower defense elements and more, shorter platforming segments to try to modernize it (I mean as awesome as Act Raiser was, the town building was pretty basic) but it's definitely the Act Raiser concept.

The difficulty and the territory control mechanic are a little strange and some will take or leave the art style but if you are yearning for a modern Act Raiser, get it.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact

30. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 14:59 Parallax Abstraction

jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 14:42:
You can't sell for $45 on EGS and $60 elsewhere.

What about the exclusives then? Because that hasn't been happening with them either. Epic is asking us to use a feature barren, insecure store and literally offering no incentive to do so beyond "The devs get more money" (which shouldn't be the consumer's concern) or "It'll lead to lower prices maybe" (which it hasn't.)

You compete by doing things better than the other guy, not by spending the money you could be using to do that, to bribe other companies in an attempt to strongarm your way into a market you aren't prepared for.

Parallax Abstraction

3624 Comments. 182 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >