Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3464 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 5, 2016, 15:43 Parallax Abstraction

Shineyguy wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 14:41:
Ugh, such click bait on that 7700k "article"

The 7700k was tested at LESS THAN 1% slower than the 6700k clock for clock. Thus meaning that it's within the natural variance. So it's the same speed clock per clock as the 6700k.

Which is what Intel was saying all along.

DSOGaming is an awful site that writes tons of clickbait fluff with no substance.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube | Twitch
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
23. Re: etc. Dec 4, 2016, 12:52 Parallax Abstraction

Rigs wrote on Dec 3, 2016, 17:40:
Cutter, you're an egotistical, self-centered, loud mouthed Canadian douche that most of us wouldn't think twice about throwing off the side of a tall bridge...but this place wouldn't be the same without ya, sooo...

You're right. It'd be better.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
4. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Nov 28, 2016, 22:15 Parallax Abstraction

Folding@home still broken, OBS still broken, many are reporting performance drops in BF1, and myself, a $1,000 1080 owner, is wondering why I wasted my money.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > System Shock Remake in 2018
4. Re: System Shock Remake Next Year Nov 18, 2016, 11:05 Parallax Abstraction

Is it still on Unity or are they going to use an engine where it won't look dated but also run like crap?  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers & Warning
11. Re: New GeForce Drivers & Warning Nov 15, 2016, 23:20 Parallax Abstraction

Also, Folding@home and OBS are still broken. Remember when AMD were the ones with the crap drivers?

NVIDIA, speaking as someone who spent almost $1,000CDN on a 1080: GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER!

Parallax Abstraction

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 7, 2016, 15:52 Parallax Abstraction

So, everyone's going to sell their NVIDIA cards and switch to AMD in protest right? I mean, we all know telemetry of any kind is basically the same as having the NSA watching everything you do right? Right?  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Sunday Patches
6. Re: Sunday Patches Nov 7, 2016, 12:37 Parallax Abstraction

I can't remember where I read it but I believe Volition doesn't own FreeSpace. Either Interplay still does or it was sold off to someone for next to nothing a few years back but it's not in the hands of Volition or Deep Silver (their owners since THQ went under.) Not to say that could just make SpaceFree or something else but yeah, they still have corporate overlords to serve.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Take-Two Financials
4. Re: Take-Two Financials Nov 3, 2016, 12:32 Parallax Abstraction

Yeah, that conveniently anonymous post pretty much contradicts this financial report. He said Mafia III was a bomb that has sold less than a million units and it's already well exceeded that. His post also doesn't mention Rockstar when talking about Take-Two financials and ignores the well known fact that BioShock (Infinite in particular) was a trainwreck of a project that needed Rod Ferguson brought in to get it back on track. As good as the games Ken Levine helms tend to me, he's notorious for being Tim Schafer-esque in terms of managing time and money. It's amazing to me how much people will instantly listen and believe to some anonymous post with no ability to verify it.

Also, if you think them saying Mafia III is their fastest-selling game is an outright lie, you don't understand how strict laws on this kind of thing are. Lying about that kind of thing in a financial statement is an actual crime and one that can get them sued into the ground.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 26, 2016, 23:01 Parallax Abstraction

Not satisfied with making thousands of dollars a month on Patreon and producing nothing with it but being a professional victim, she's now running a Kickstarter. Her Patreon was supposed to fund all these game projects but somehow she needs another $60,000 to make it happen. I'm sure she'll pull a Brianna Wu and blame Internet harassment when it gets delayed, delayed and delayed some more and is a garbage game when and if it does come out.

Keep in mind that almost 3 years ago when the Polaris GAME_JAM thing happened, she started taking donations for Rebel Jam, which has still never happened, even though many game jams are organised in a matter of days. And no one in the press will hold her accountable for that or this. This person's a scammer. Fools and their money are soon parted.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > SAG-AFTRA Picketing EA Today
21. Re: SAG-AFTRA Picketing EA Today Oct 24, 2016, 15:49 Parallax Abstraction

panbient wrote on Oct 24, 2016, 15:37:
NKD wrote on Oct 24, 2016, 11:43:
If you think that they don't have legitimate complaints, you're straight up brain damaged. They are working under a contract that dates back to the mid 90s and needs some serious changes due to how things have changed since then, but the game companies don't want to budge an inch on anything.

*A lot of other very valid stuff*

While I agree with everything you've said and I sympathize with the VAs... there are still lots of other people in the industry (pretty much everyone) who also deserve some level of proper compensation and protection as well. And in the case of any actual junior developer I'd say those people need it before the VAs.

But, I mean, who am I kidding? These people get to work in the gaaAAAaaammmmeee Industry Sunny and if they don't like it they can go be a sucker at a square office with actual job security, and benefits, and HR departments, and paid vacations, but it'll cost you your soul man!!! You'll need to wear a dress shirt!!!!

There are others who are involved in making games that deserve better compensation as well. But they're not part of SAG-AFTRA. If that union tried to speak for them, the same people calling them greedy now would be calling them arrogant for speaking for others. If the programmers, artists and other people who are exploited in the games industry want better representation, then they should be trying to unionise themselves, or at least making the IGDA not a useless organisation.

I'll never understand the attitude that many in this thread and other places have of "Well, others might have it worse so that means you're assholes for demanding better!" Somewhere, someone always has it worse than you. That doesn't mean you're not allowed to expect more from companies that are making millions off you.

For a better explanation, listen to this one from Steve Blum. In particular, listen to the bit about how many publishers have paid literally millions to big-time Hollywood actors, who get to dictate their own terms, do far less work and have never been demonstrated to lead to greater sales.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Star Control: Origins Announced
9. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 18, 2016, 17:35 Parallax Abstraction

Are there any games at all that you play or do is your involvement in this hobby finding reasons to boycott things? Cause if you think that there aren't right-wingers in just about any and all game developers, you're probably in for a shock.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 14, 2016, 13:34 Parallax Abstraction

Thanks Blue, you rock.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Beyond Good and Evil Sequel Confirmed
7. Re: Beyond Good and Evil Sequel Confirmed Oct 6, 2016, 14:30 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 11:42:
Hopefully it sells better than the Mirror's Edge sequel did. Everyone said they wanted that and it landed like a wet fart in a crowded room.

As one of the people who wanted it and bought it day one, it's problem was mostly that it was a bad game that was basically unfinished.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 2, 2016, 13:47 Parallax Abstraction

Betanews has about as much credibility on anything Microsoft as Kotaku or Polygon does on anything gaming.

But hey, one of the most popular things here is misinformed anti-Windows 10 circle jerks so have fun. Not that MS didn't do a lot of garbage things (the amount the upgrade was forced was ridiculous and anti-consumer) but Windows 10 is also an excellent OS and the claims about it spying on you are both hilarious in their level of tin-foil hattiness and also immensely hypocritical given that every smartphone and social network do far worse and get a pass from everyone.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Interviews
12. Re: Nope Sep 23, 2016, 16:42 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 15:47:
The most common complaint I see of her is "why isn't she showing this game, which doesn't have the trope?!" I mean, it answers the question - it doesn't have the trope! It's like if I watch a Youtube video about cats falling off of TVs and complained that it didn't feature any cats not falling off of TVs to demonstrate that not all cats fall of off TVs.

My complaint is her cherry picking and outright lies in order to suit her agenda. Look up the video where she used Hitman Absolution as an example. As someone who has finished that game, she straight up lied about it and the creator's intentions with the scene she uses.

I don't dislike her because of her arguments, I dislike the fact that she distorts her research and outright lies in order to be able to make the point she wants to make. It's the same kind of crap Michael Moore pulls. But at least Michael Moore didn't take a ton of crowdfunding and donations, only to never finish the project, even years after it was funded. She has still not delivered on all her originally planned episodes and Kickstarter rewards, even though she's now moved on to another project. And especially considering the production quality and hilariously bad research in her videos, it's insane that it's taken this long, given many YouTubers put out better videos on a daily basis. But getting work done means she can't collect tens of thousands of dollars giving woe is me speeches.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Interviews
4. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 22, 2016, 11:05 Parallax Abstraction

Nothing Pachter has to say is print-worthy.  
Parallax Abstraction

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 19, 2016, 14:59 Parallax Abstraction

Now that they've done SoftRAM, they should do SpinRite next. Steve Gibson's been hocking that garbage snake oil for 20+ years. I bought it back when I listened to SecurityNow and it has not once fixed a drive I've run it again but it's made several worse.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Vive la RIVE
3. Re: Vive la RIVE Sep 14, 2016, 09:19 Parallax Abstraction

I've had a press build of this for a while that was limited but it was already pretty awesome. I'm hoping to do a video on the full game in the next couple days. It's a real shame this is Two Tribes' last game, they've got some real talent.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Ubisoft F2P Game Shutdowns
4. Re: Ubisoft F2P Game Shutdowns Aug 28, 2016, 13:10 Parallax Abstraction

Dev wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 12:16:
Huh, I was going to try that mighty quest one someday. Oh well!

I always meant to as well. It kind of looked like a neat idea and some people like TB liked it and he's very critical of F2P games if they don't have a good business model. This one looked relatively fair and had a neat concept. Oh well.

Looks like Ubisoft's making a hasty exit from the free-to-play market.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Interviews
14. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 26, 2016, 09:07 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Aug 26, 2016, 07:07:
If they insulted their audience, their audience wouldn't come back.

Ergo, it isn't their audience they're insulting. It's a small percentage of people that likely didn't even go to those sites to begin with.

Their audience isn't coming back. YouTube and Twitch are eating these sites' lunch and their traffic is dropping almost across the board. That's the part that's so crazy. They're bleeding the audience like crazy and yet they're doubling down on the things that are doing so. And believe me, I'm not pleased about this trend. YouTube and Twitch have their places but those segments both have major problems of their own. There needs to be a mix of both.

Parallax Abstraction

3464 Comments. 174 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo