Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3518 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 31, 2017, 22:57 Parallax Abstraction

I was reading a couple of stories today that said Netflix suspended the production to consult with the cast and crew. Sounds like they're trying to figure out if people still want to work with him while they figure this out. Can't believe how quickly this moved.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube | Mixer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 22, 2017, 23:13 Parallax Abstraction

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 22, 2017, 19:54:
it's likely about to get more interesting since the accusations are flying hard and fast against game journos at kotaku and polygon(current and former) of doing the same thing as Weinstien and Tyler.

You got any reputable links for that? I'm most certainly no fan of either site or many of the people who write for them but this is the first I've heard of this (other than the Nick Robinson thing, which has been quiet since first being revealed.)

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Ancient Frontier Released
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 21, 2017, 21:45 Parallax Abstraction

Going to be dropping a video on this in the next few days. So far with the review version, it's...not great. I hope the final release improves things.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
16. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 17, 2017, 12:55 Parallax Abstraction

Vimeo doesn't allow gaming content.

Edit: Oh, turns out they did start allowing it again in 2014.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 13, 2017, 11:47 Parallax Abstraction

I think PewDiePie's a fucking idiot and a blight on the YouTube community. He doesn't know or doesn't care the power and influence he has and that the media (wrongly) paints all of YouTube with his brush. He needs to fucking think before he speaks.

That said, what Campo Santo did is childish and stupid. Unfortunately, it's also 100% legal. Nonetheless, it's still a blatant abuse of the spirit of the DMCA and sends an epic chilling effect because this is just the beginning. Now, it's filing a DMCA because of a bigoted remark in a stream. What happens when that becomes filing a DMCA against people like me who (rightly) criticise Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn? What happens when an indie dev DMCAs their game on a channel because that YouTuber gave a bad review to a game made by their friend (remember, Fair Use critique only applies to the video of the friend's game)? What happens when devs decide to just start using the DMCA as a meant to punish channels that are generally fair and balanced but also run by someone who supports Trump? Remember, at least when it comes to Let's Play, it's 100% legal for them to do so, statement on their web site or no. If you think this newly discovered power won't be greatly abused in the current climate of indie devs that see it as an ideological mace, you're very naive.

I try to separate art from artist whenever I can. While I may end up playing Campo Santo's next game, I can tell you what I won't bring it near my YouTube or Mixer channels with a 10 foot pole, nor will a lot of other creators. That doesn't help them, nor does it help Campo Santo.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2017, 12:49.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 26, 2017, 22:29 Parallax Abstraction

You're good people Blue.

I ended up hitting a game breaking bug in Syndrome today (which by the way, don't believe the Steam reviews, it's a buggy mess, not a good game and not even that scary) and decided to finish up by playing through Stories Untold. For a largely text based game, it scared the crap out of me way more than Syndrome did. It's on sale this weekend and I highly recommend it.

Ziggurat tomorrow's going to be a blast!

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 23, 2017, 10:20 Parallax Abstraction

They already have. It's the garbage "Epic Launcher", also the only place you can buy Epic titles, just to keep in mind the next time Sweeney whines about other storefronts being anti-competitive (which he also does frequently.)  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
8. Re: Spintires: MudRunner Announced Aug 19, 2017, 22:22 Parallax Abstraction

jdreyer wrote on Aug 19, 2017, 16:03:
Ozmodan wrote on Aug 19, 2017, 14:45:
Sad state of patents when someone can patent a 1 click operation. What a bunch of idiots reside in the patent office. Bezos should be banned for life from ever getting a patent again.
Don't blame Bezos. He's just playing by the rules as written. There are so many bad patents out there. Blame the Repubs for defunding the patent office.

That you play by shitty rules doesn't excuse you from being shitty yourself. No one forced him to.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Spintires: MudRunner Announced
6. Re: Spintires: MudRunner Announced Aug 18, 2017, 15:56 Parallax Abstraction

Kajetan wrote on Aug 18, 2017, 13:21:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 18, 2017, 11:28:
So wait, this is published by Focus and developed by Sabre. So the original developer's not involved in this at all?
He is. He now works for the new studio.

Like, he works for Sabre now? I know he had a dispute with his original publisher. So he is involved with this?

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Spintires: MudRunner Announced
2. Re: Spintires: MudRunner Announced Aug 18, 2017, 11:28 Parallax Abstraction

So wait, this is published by Focus and developed by Sabre. So the original developer's not involved in this at all?  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: Starbreeze Publishing Psychonauts 2 Aug 10, 2017, 00:08 Parallax Abstraction

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 21:28:
If you make a good game great sales will follow.

History is littered with good games that didn't sell. Tales from the Borderlands actually was good. Quite good for Telltale actually. And a Borderlands game that actually had writing that wasn't shit.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Gearbox Teases Project 1v1
13. Re: Starbreeze Publishing Psychonauts 2 Aug 9, 2017, 08:47 Parallax Abstraction

Gadzooks wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 00:51:
Takes over failed game project - Duke Nukem... game bombs

You're not wrong about Gearbox in general but as depressing as it is, Duke Nukem Forever sold well and made money for both Gearbox and 2K.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Tempest 4000 Announced
6. Re: Starbreeze Publishing Psychonauts 2 Aug 9, 2017, 08:37 Parallax Abstraction

Tom wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 02:30:
Wow, surprised they worked out their differences after Atari shut down Minter's VR TxK release with legal threats. He had some choice words for them...

The last couple of attempts at this new, basically scam Atari publishing games didn't work out so well. Asteroids: Outpost was dropped in Early Access, basically never updated, then abandoned. And the attempt to Left 4 Dead Alone In the Dark was an abomination. And in both cases, the first time developers both went under and rumours abounded that Atari basically never paid them. And yeah, they attempted to sue Jeff Minter just because they could. I suspect he was either strongarmed into working with them to not get sued or he chose to, in which case, he'll probably get screwed in a similar way. I hope not though.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Starbreeze Publishing Psychonauts 2 Jul 3, 2017, 00:11 Parallax Abstraction

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 1, 2017, 12:52:
The Robotron for 2017 review is actually for a game called Nex Machina. It does look pretty fantastic. Not surprising, considering its pedigree (Housemarquee). The video review sold me on it, buying it on the mobile app.

Correct, it is of Nex Machina. I don't like having to preface my video titles with keyword bait like that but I'm a tiny channel and unfortunately, doing that does drive more views from search results. Blue usually gets the title right but I guess he was in a hurry.

Glad you enjoyed the video. The game is fantastic indeed. My content's been spotty lately cause life has been kind of a mess the last couple of months but I'm hoping to record another video tomorrow and get more regular ones coming in the next couple of weeks. My channel's actually experienced a decent amount of growth in views thanks to Blue posting my links so thanks for watching!

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
29. No subject Jun 25, 2017, 19:21 Parallax Abstraction

While this situation looks suspicious to put it mildly, Derek Smart is also one of the last people I would trust to comment on it objectively.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series Finale Next Week
1. No subject May 22, 2017, 10:18 Parallax Abstraction

It's been amazing how little buzz I've heard around this season of this game. I have no idea if it's any good or not. I almost started it, then got swamped with a backlog so I never picked it up. Will probably grab the whole season on sale.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
8. Re: Saturday Mobilization May 21, 2017, 23:41 Parallax Abstraction

KS wrote on May 20, 2017, 14:07:
Why would Netflix care? They want their app spread around freely. It requires a paid account to use.

Because if you're using a rooted device, it's a lot easier to get around Netflix's DRM and record content from it to distribute on torrents later. Of course, it's not like this isn't already being done anyway.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > New Life is Strange Game Announced
6. No subject May 19, 2017, 10:08 Parallax Abstraction

I streamed the whole thing as it came out. I enjoyed it in general (though some of the characters grated on me, though I feel that was intentional) but without spoilers, the ending felt downright Mass Effect 3 bad to me. I was really let down and frustrated by that and it soured the series a little bit to me. I'm curious what they'll do with the follow-up as it'll have to be about a totally different set of people.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. No subject Apr 27, 2017, 23:19 Parallax Abstraction

Funny, this massive undeserved hero of the gaming press has finally finished her series (I think what, 5 years after the promised date on Kickstarter?) and I didn't see a single article beyond this about it today. The gaming press were tripping over themselves to prop her up whenever she said a single thing, regardless of whether or not it was true but there's very little today. Interesting how they've gotten bored of her. Probably because based on what comes out of rags like Polygon, Kotaku and Waypoint these days, Sarkeesian's message is probably not nearly extreme enough for them any more.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Vivendi and Ubisoft to Finally Get a Room?
10. Re: Starbreeze Publishing Psychonauts 2 Apr 26, 2017, 17:19 Parallax Abstraction

Kxmode wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 16:49:
Echoing Slick's comment... absolutely. Once a company goes public they're no longer have the luxury of private ownership. Publically traded firms have a fiduciary responsibility to maximize investor returns within the constraints of what's lawful. Engaging in a "hostile" takeover by buying all available PUBLIC shares, is fully within what is legal. UbiSoft lost the moment they went public.

Technically, any corporation has a legal obligation to maximise shareholder value. Just when it's a private company, it's a smaller group of shareholders who tend to see the big picture more often. Valve could spend a ton of money to say, fix their abhorrent customer service but they don't.

Parallax Abstraction

3518 Comments. 176 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo