Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 2949 (Senior)
User ID 13410
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard
24. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 4, 2016, 02:54 Scottish Martial Arts
shihonage wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 23:32:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 19:33:

Off-topic: SMA, you left the Codex?

Yup. Someone pissed me off last October/November-ish, which prompted some "why do I still visit this site when it only ever causes aggravation?"-type reflection, which in turn prompted me to send DU a message asking for a self-ban. Aside from reading through the "Why is SMA banned?" thread that popped up a few weeks later, I haven't been back.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2016, 20:35 Scottish Martial Arts
It's a big company, but it's also a pretty conservative one. Overwatch is their first genuinely new IP since 1998 after all. It seems entirely reasonable to me that more senior employees could reach the end of a project and conclude that the projects they're most interested in and which can most grow their career might be at other companies.

I'm not privy to what goes on inside Blizzard, but seen purely from the outside, a handful of leads moving on as development winds down on a major project seems pretty normal to me. The end of a project is certainly when I return recruiter emails and assess whether my career is best served by another ~18 months at the same company. :-shrug-:
17. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2016, 19:33 Scottish Martial Arts
The Half Elf wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 17:43:
But when all your top talent leaves (especially the guy who 'fixed' Diablo 3) it's not a good thing.

Not really. Diablo 3 is done at this point. If "all the top talent" left after a disastrous E3 demo with a solid year to go before launch, then yes, that would be indicative of a deeply troubled production. When you're two years after the last product launch and wrapping up the last of post launch development and support however, it is entirely appropriate for people to consider what they want to work on next. Having a half dozen people transfer teams or move on to a new position in a new company at this stage of Diablo 3 development/support is entirely normal. Amazingly, people don't want to work forever on the exact same thing.
News Comments > Civilization VI Videos
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 25, 2016, 20:54 Scottish Martial Arts
jdreyer wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 14:18:
It's interesting that the series is on its third designer in three versions.

Hasn't that been true of all of them though?

1. Sid Meier
2. Brian Reynolds
3. Jeff Briggs
4. Soren Johnson
5. Jon Shafer
6. Ed Beach

News Comments > Elder Scrolls VI in Development
62. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 14, 2016, 18:13 Scottish Martial Arts
Creston wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 18:04:
For the record, once you got power armor and plasma weapons in Fallout, you would steamroll everything in your path as well. But there it was obviously just 'great writing?'

Edit : Apologies, I thought I was replying to Scottish, not you, Beamer. The Fallout One comment was more directed at him.

Hey, at least you don't find that power armor and plasma rifle in the crater of a bomb that didn't actually explode, all while asking people if they've seen your father, "a middle aged guy"!
56. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 14, 2016, 17:38 Scottish Martial Arts
Tachikoma wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 16:25:
Please name some of the "broken mechanics",

It`s also irrelevant - becasue the point you and everybody else misses is that their games let you create your own narratives.

Broken mechanics: Oblivion's level scaling making it possible to get a full set of the best armor in the game by encountering a bandit, Morrowind's alchemy allowing for exponential growth stat boosts, Oblivion's persuasion minigame which was frankly just bizarre, loot being (with rare exception) being generic and randomized leads to very little sense of reward in dungeon crawling. This is what's off the top of my head without having played a recent Elder Scrolls game in quite a while. Balanced, well-thought out mechanics have never been the Elder Scrolls strong suit, even in the days of Arena and Daggerfall -- try making it to the end of either of those without being a magic user!

And I'm unclear why Ultima is an unfair comparison. Nearly everything you list as being amazeballs in Skyrim et al. was in Ultima V in 1988. If your aim is to portray Skyrim et al. as being unique in the land of gaming, then why is it unfair to point out that the features which you claim are so unique existed in a 28 year old Apple II game?

As for making your own narrative, I get that you can play pretend in the Elder Scrolls. You can also play pretend in any other computer game. Heck, I remember doing as much in Mario 64, imagining elaborate Goomba invasion scenarios with Mario flying around doing air strikes against them. Of course, the game didn't depict such a scenario, the gameworld didn't respond in any way to my pretend actions, and the mechanics didn't facilitate that scenario. Just like in the Elder Scrolls. Sure, you can pretend to be drinking with your pals at the local inn after a long day of being a turd miner, but you can't actually run a turd mining business, drinking consists of clicking something in your inventory and getting a loosely related stat effect, and the locals certainly don't recognize you as Conan the Heroic Turd Miner, Drinker of Ale. The fact that you like to play pretend in a particular game series just means this particular game series struck your imagination, not that it actually offers substantive ways to be anything but an adventurer who A) swings a sword, B) casts a spell, C) sneaks and stabs, or D) does a combination of the three.

Ugh, I don't know why I'm arguing with someone who evidently can't tell the difference between a backtick and an apostrophe.
36. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 14, 2016, 15:58 Scottish Martial Arts
Tachikoma wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 15:30:

I don't really feel like going through a point by point rebuttal, but I will say that your argument tends not to address some of the more salient complaints with Bethesda games, i.e. cringe-worthy writing and broken game mechanics, and claims as unique-to-gaming features that were done better in the Ultima series nearly 30 years ago. I suppose the mainline Ultima games weren't first-person (except for dungeon exploration in I - V) but nearly all of the open world stuff you describe was front and center in Ultima V-VII.

I guess my main complaint with Bethesda games is that they are a mile wide and an inch deep. They tend to make a great first impression, but the deeper you get into them, the more you run into broken mechanics, imbalanced gameplay, uninteresting quests, and truly wretched dialog and characters.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
51. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 13, 2016, 12:03 Scottish Martial Arts
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 02:18:
Question... what if we just up and left, or didn't play 'World Police' in the first place?

The short answer is no one knows, and that it would probably have complex and far reaching effects, some good and probably mostly bad.

When a policy or technology is very successful at addressing a problem, people will over time eventually start to forget the severity of the problem that the policy/technology addressed -- because it's no longer in their day to day experience -- and will start to view the downsides of the policy/technology, whether real downsides or only imagined, as being an intolerable evil. Examples of this tendency include vaccination and banking regulation. It's my opinion that if the success of Trump's message is anything to go by, then a lot of people have forgotten the problems that the American-led post-WWII security framework was meant to fix, primarily because it fixed those problems so successfully.

And what problems did the post-war security framework fix? Routine conventional warfare between major power, with all of its attendant short-term destruction and long-term damages. It used to be the case that developed nations went to war with each other. That is no longer true, but only because we worked very hard to create a system of institutions, alliances, and security cooperation to prevent such wars from being necessary. We risk far more than we realize when we say that we should stop participating in the security framework that has given us 70+ years of relative peace and prosperity. The past 70 years have not been perfect, but by historical standards, we've been living in a golden-age without precedent since the Roman Empire.

Now that said, the post-war security framework can be used more intelligently. Most of the foreign policy decisions we have made in the Middle East through 1990 or so were driven by Cold War politics, and the need to oppose the encroachment of Soviet influence, but were completely ignorant of the complexities and motivations of the countries involved. Our support for certain Pan-Arab Nationalist dictators starting in the 50s and 60s was driven entirely by the desire to create a network of client states in the region that would oppose Soviet interests. It's doubtful Pan-Arab Nationalism ever had the legs to make real reform in the region, but by coopting the nationalist movement to serve our Cold War ends, and propping up our clients long after they took dictatorial turns against their own people, we discredited both ourselves as acting in the interest of average Middle Eastern people and we discredited secular nationalism as a form of politics which could deliver reform to those people. That we then turned around and armed Political Islam -- the social and political response to Pan-Arab Nationalism's failure -- so that they could go wage jihad against the Soviets in Afghanistan, again shows how disinterested we were in the specifics of the region, and the long-term consequences of our decisions, compared to one-upping the Soviets in the short-term.

But at least during the Cold War, our Middle East foreign policy decisions were coherent in terms of fighting the Soviets. In the post 9/11 period, however, our decision have been almost entirely guided by fear and reaction and self-inflicted harm. It would be another long post to explain why, but in my opinion, aside from containment of the Syrian Civil War (to include ISIS), our first priority in the region should be reaching a peace agreement in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Until that happens, we are going to remain entangled in the region's politics in ways which are counter-productive to everyone involved.
41. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 13, 2016, 00:23 Scottish Martial Arts
TangledThorns wrote on Jun 12, 2016, 22:27:
So true.This is why Obama and Hillary have very low approval ratings with the military. Both are clueless on how to defeat the enemy.

And what form would "defeating the enemy" take exactly?

Take Trump's advice and kill the families of anyone known to associate with ISIS and/or conduct air strikes on populated areas without regard for civilian casualties? I know this may come as a shock, but the anger you feel when American or European civilians are targeted and killed is not unique to you: when American bombs level a wedding, or a hospital, or Muslim civilians are otherwise killed -- inadvertently or not -- you create a new group of angry young men willing to die to return the favor.

Should we reinvade Iraq and push on into Syria? The Islamic State was born out of Al Qaeda in Iraq. Specifically, when we killed Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi in an air strike in 2006, his deputy, the future self-proclaimed "Caliphate" Al-Baghdadi, assumed control of Al-Qaeda in Iraq, subsequently renamed it the Islamic State in Iraq, and then relocated it to Syria after the Sunni Awakening made it too difficult to continue conduct operations in the Sunni heartland in Iraq, i.e. Fallujah, Ramadi, etc. In other words, we already spent a significant amount of time putting boots on the ground to fight these guys and we don't have much to show for it. If we reinvade to "defeat the enemy", ISIS will just do what it did when it was called Al-Qaeda in Iraq: not face our ground forces directly, dissolve into the civilian populace, leverage local resentment against being occupied by a foreign power to build a base of support, and then conduct insurgency operations against our forces until eventually we leave again and they can reemerge.

The reality is that there's no easy way to "defeat the enemy". If there was we would do it now, or we would have done it during the first invasion and occupation. Short of discarding the Geneva Convention and the Laws of War and just killing every man, woman, and child in the shitty countries involved, we're just going to have to learn to live with the fact that we are not omnipotent, and that defeating an enemy like ISIS will be long-term and low-intensity. We can either scale our efforts accordingly, or not, but we can't pretend that just thumping our chest a bit harder will make the bad men go away.
26. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 12, 2016, 20:53 Scottish Martial Arts
TangledThorns wrote on Jun 12, 2016, 19:14:

Keeping you up to current events as ISIS did claim responsibility!

And where is that being reported? Scanning the headlines, all I'm seeing is that the shooter called 911 immediately prior to the attack to proclaim loyalty to ISIS. It should go without saying that you do not actually have to have been recruited/trained/equipped/coordinated by anyone to make such a phone call.
News Comments > On DOOM Multiplayer
24. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 9, 2016, 15:31 Scottish Martial Arts
ASLayerAODsk wrote on Jun 9, 2016, 14:57:
that, and they think they are doing US a favour by making anything 'free'. sigh these guys are so pompous and overbloated and thankless to those that have purchased their product, but its a sign of the industry, so many sheeple out there that allow this to happen, and blah. Just sad.

My pity is reserved for those who use the word "sheeple" without irony.
News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 8, 2016, 13:02 Scottish Martial Arts
Blue wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 12:39:
Beamer wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 11:28:
We don't have substitutes for smartphones.

We don't need any, we already all have smartphones, which is why their growth is falling off. For the smartphone industry to sustain the way it's operated in the past we'd need to find an undiscovered continent/planet of new potential customers.

I suspect though that smartphone will reach an equilibrium/maintenance volume quite a bit higher than for PCs, simply because smartphones experience a lot more wear and tear. Smartphones get dropped, get lost, get stolen, have their batteries wear out, etc.
News Comments > etc.
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2016, 15:20 Scottish Martial Arts
Task wrote on Jun 4, 2016, 13:35:
I like how that article claims Battlefront3 was a 'big big hit' and links to a gamespot article as 'evidence.'

Which links to an announcement by EA. Whether EA's announcement is true or not, it's pretty standard practice for news sites to link to prior reporting in a follow-on or related story. It's almost like they want you to read their content and stay on the site longer.
News Comments > The Sims 4 Expands Gender Options
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 3, 2016, 00:54 Scottish Martial Arts
Cutter wrote on Jun 2, 2016, 22:14:
You can't change your chromosomes no matter how much you may want to.

Life of Brian - I want to be a woman

How much do chromosomes really matter though -- beyond reproduction -- when we assess male-ness or female-ness?

Whenever I see strangers in public, my brain is constantly sorting them as male or female, without even thinking about it. Yet I've never once needed to ask for chromosomal verification in order to make that assessment and classification. Given that something like 1 in 200 people have some sort of chromosomal abnormality, it seems rather specious to insist the chromosomes determine our perception of gender. Hell, unless you've had children, or have had some sort of testing done, you can only make assumptions about what your own chromosomes actually look like. (They're probably normal, but maybe you're that 1 in 200.)
News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Mobilization May 29, 2016, 18:19 Scottish Martial Arts
jdreyer wrote on May 29, 2016, 15:25:
All I was pointing out is that the sun is a poor analogy due to exposure levels. I don't worry about it too much (although my EM meter picks up emissions from my PC and laptop) but I don't think there have been any studies for decades-long low-level EM exposure, have there?

Your PC and laptop gives off EM emissions because they are electrical devices and one of the products of electromagnetic induction (the mechanism by which voltage travels across a conductor) is low-frequency EM emission. While granting that there may be things we don't know about or don't understand, everything which we are quite certain is true about electromagnetism, EM radiation, and radiation poisoning, suggests that it is impossible for such low-frequency emissions to cause radiation poisioning. Put another way, the EM emissions from electronic devices do not have enough energy to actually knock electrons off the atoms composing your body (the primary cause of cellular damage from radiation poisoning). So basically where this leaves us is that unless our understanding of physics is fundamentally wrong, then any as of yet undiscovered harmful effects from the EM radiation produced by electronic devices cannot be very significant, if they even exist at all, and would pale in comparison to the EM radiation which human beings have absorbed from sunlight for as long as our species has existed.
12. Re: Morning Mobilization May 29, 2016, 18:02 Scottish Martial Arts
eRe4s3r wrote on May 29, 2016, 13:35:
Uh, I am talking about problems with WIFI / Bluetooth / USB .. not human tissue (which you apparently read out of nowhere into my comment).

Here's what you said, with emphasis added:

Yuo know why certain elements of desktop PC cases are made of heavy materials? To shield you and every other attached device from all the EM emissions crap your PC gives off.

Saying that "you" need shielding from "EM emissions crap", implies that there is something bad you need to be protected from. If you just meant EM interference with electrical devices, then fair enough (although in most cases that's fairly easily mitigated). But based upon the words you actually wrote, there was a pretty clear implication that we need to be shielded from the low-frequency EM emissions produced by household electronics, a claim which contradicts everything we know about physics and is usually only made on fringe blogs with an affinity for all-caps and exclamation points.
4. Re: Morning Mobilization May 29, 2016, 00:47 Scottish Martial Arts
eRe4s3r wrote on May 28, 2016, 22:23:
To shield you and every other attached device from all the EM emissions crap your PC gives off.

You're aware that the EM radiation produced by electronic devices doesn't have a short enough wavelength to have an ionizing effect on human tissue, right? Sunlight is far, far, far more damaging than anything your computer could ever hope to produce. People hear radiation but apparently don't understand that not all radiation is a gamma ray.

To argue that the EM radiation put out by the electronics in your home requires special shielding to protect human health is essentially to argue that everything we know about Physics and Biology is wrong. It's not impossible that there are factors we simply don't know about, but that's a very different claim from asserting harms that the corpus of scientific knowledge contradicts and precludes.

This comment was edited on May 29, 2016, 01:01.
News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization May 29, 2016, 00:42 Scottish Martial Arts
MajorD wrote on May 28, 2016, 20:51:
These writers always seem to be in a hurry to paint a bad picture on anything Microsoft related.

The author was mostly positive on the Windows Phone platform itself, and seemed rather glum about the missed opportunities that doomed it...
News Comments > Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Free Weekend
12. Re: Morning Mobilization May 27, 2016, 19:49 Scottish Martial Arts
SpectralMeat wrote on May 27, 2016, 08:07:
Why don't they end these on Monday at 1PM when the week long deals or whatever takes over is beyond stupid.

Because as I noted above, the point of the free weekend isn't to reward you for using Steam, but to convince you to buy a game you otherwise wouldn't buy. If the free weekend ended at midnight right before Monday morning, you'd likely say "well that was fun, but it's time to get to bed before work, and I don't want to buy this right now if I'm not going to have time to play it until next weekend." When it ends at 1pm on Sunday, when you still have plenty of time to play, you're much more likely to buy the game to keep playing.

I'm not saying this is "right" or anything, but I would think it would be pretty transparent why it ends at 1pm on Sunday; it's because they want you to actually buy the game, not just play the free weekend and never look back.
News Comments > Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Free Weekend
7. Re: Morning Mobilization May 26, 2016, 23:13 Scottish Martial Arts
Ant wrote on May 26, 2016, 21:49:
\Dude, what about the 11 hours left of the weekend?

That's to inspire you to hit buy while you still have weekend in which to play it.

Agreed, on mixing up or extending the free play times though.
2949 Comments. 148 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo