Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 2913 (Senior)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 30, 2016, 15:22 Scottish Martial Arts

rudra wrote on Apr 30, 2016, 13:18:
interesting comment, you want to talk about reparations next? how about affirmative action? is there enough of it for you? im really interested in hearing how much discrimination is worth these days, because its always an entirely virtuous moral imperative that drives these things

How much is discrimination worth? A third fewer callbacks for an equally qualified resume, for one. If the status quo -- in which such racial inequities persist -- is an "overcompensation", then what would constitute a measured response? A status quo in which blacks get half as many job callbacks with equal qualifications? A third? That sounds like less of a measured response and more like wanting to ignore a problem because it doesn't directly hurt you and thinking about it makes you feel uncomfortable.

There are measurable racial inequities in nearly every aspect of American life relevant to participation in civil society, from education, to criminal justice, to economic opportunity. To say that we're overcompensating is either to pretend those measurable differences don't exist, or to suggest that the appropriate response is one in which those measurable inequities are even larger. Either way shows a remarkable tolerance for racial inequality, but then, as I sarcastically noted in my original post, if Donald Trump has shown us anything, it's that a large chunk of the electorate not only tolerates racial inequity but embraces racial animosity.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 30, 2016, 12:38 Scottish Martial Arts

rudra wrote on Apr 30, 2016, 11:28:
its called "overcompensation"

been happening for a while on the racism front, now its gotten over to sexism as well

Because if Donald Trump has taught us anything, it's that racism no longer exists in America.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 29, 2016, 19:07 Scottish Martial Arts

Creston wrote on Apr 29, 2016, 14:58:
Aka: Intel wants each and every one of you to buy a new headset. Did you know Intel sells really nice USB-C ones?

Uh... I'm pretty sure this is a product category which Intel has never participated in. They certainly aren't advertising headsets, of any sort of connection, on their website.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 25, 2016, 15:16 Scottish Martial Arts

Gamer: noun, an expert in the practice of the profession of journalism who definitely knows what the fuck he's talking about regarding a field he doesn't work in. From the Latin gamare, to write fact-based stories for the public record.  

News Comments > DOOM PC Support Details
31. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 24, 2016, 16:27 Scottish Martial Arts

Sepharo wrote on Apr 24, 2016, 15:54:
TFC was the earlier example I was thinking of when I made my post but I'm sure there were others.

Tribes, maybe? If I recall correctly, Soldier of Fortune had grenades as an "inventory item" so it was possible to have both a grenade and a normal weapon selected at the same time. It was definitely not a common feature though; the standard for late 90s/early 00s shooters with grenades was that grenades were a separate weapon that you selected and then "fired" with the LMB, see Quake 2, Half-Life, Return to Castle Wolfenstein (released the same month as Halo), etc.

29. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 24, 2016, 11:36 Scottish Martial Arts

Sepharo wrote on Apr 24, 2016, 03:32:
Slick wrote on Apr 24, 2016, 03:18:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Apr 23, 2016, 23:31:
descender wrote on Apr 23, 2016, 13:09:
Any PC FPS limited to 2 fucking weapons with loadouts is going to be compared to Halo... because that's basically all Halo brought to the MP FPS table. No other game did that. Better just get over that one too.

*ahem* Regenerating health?

yuppp

and I might be wrong, but was it the first to have a button for "throw grenade"?

a joke right ?

It actually had a pretty dramatic impact on the shooting gameplay. As Beamer notes, while it may not have been the very first game with a hotkeyed grenade (I had forgotten about that being in TFC), it was very tightly tied into the rhythm of the action. With the regenerating health but relative player vulnerability, the game was built around attacks and retreats. You didn't have the endurance to stay in a drag out fight for long, but if you could make your attack quickly, and then retreat having killed a few enemies, with regenerating health allowing you to recover to do it again. The trouble was that the general purpose weapons -- i.e. the ones you were most likely to carry given the weapon cap -- didn't do a whole lot of damage and retreating without having actually killed an Elite just meant that he'd be fully recharged by the time you attacked again. And this is where grenades, and their hotkey, had their utility: they allowed you to instantly and dramatically increase the damage of an attack, but at the cost of an extremely finite resource. If the player in the video were any good, he'd be timing a grenade toss so that it landed right next to the Elite, and be charging in after it so that the moment the grenade went off he could be at close range, where the assault rifle shines, to finish off the now shieldless Elite. A hotkeyed grenade was a minor innovation at best, but it nevertheless had a dramatic impact on the shooting because it was a feature so well suited to the rhythm of combat that every other feature helped to build.

24. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 23, 2016, 23:31 Scottish Martial Arts

descender wrote on Apr 23, 2016, 13:09:
Any PC FPS limited to 2 fucking weapons with loadouts is going to be compared to Halo... because that's basically all Halo brought to the MP FPS table. No other game did that. Better just get over that one too.

*ahem* Regenerating health?

Halo did a bunch of things, all of which worked in concert. I don't feel like enumerating all of the facets of Halo 1 but suffice to say that it had very little in common with its contemporaries, and very little in common with the Doom beta beyond the weapon cap and some cosmetic similarities in the player armor. For reference, this was the player movement speed in Halo: https://youtu.be/QeCLZciymY4?t=2m16s . I must have been playing a different beta or something, because whatever I played last weekend was 2 to 3 times faster -- at minimum -- than THAT.

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 22, 2016, 22:41 Scottish Martial Arts

NotOneOfUs wrote on Apr 22, 2016, 21:29:
Where's the setting to make it not feel like Halo?

So did Halo speed up by like a factor of ten in its 4th and 5th installment? Or are people seeing a weapon limit and a melee attack and able to make no other comparison?

I didn't care for the beta, but Halo's slow movement speed, regenerating health, relative player vulnerability, and atypical weapons were no where to be seen. I honestly don't see where the Halo comparison is coming from, unless its just a generic way of saying "I didn't like it."

News Comments > Out of the Blue
46. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 21, 2016, 19:28 Scottish Martial Arts

And here I was thinking that Harriet Tubman was an uncontroversial hero of American history, second only to the likes of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. Why am I not surprised it would be Cutter/Halsy of all people to draw issue with her displacing an ethnic cleanser who hated paper money on the twenty dollar bill?  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 18, 2016, 17:23 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 12:01:
Marissa Mayer, another useless CEO that's clearly not CEO material. Well that's what you get when you hire style over substance.

Not defending her failed turn around attempt at Yahoo, but I'd hardly call the former head of search at Google, and one of its earliest engineering hires, a style over substance person. Yahoo CEO was a big promotion for her, but not an unrealistic one: going from the head of the core technology division of arguably the most successful tech company, to the CEO of a struggling one isn't exactly cutting the line. I don't know what the precise numbers are, but I wouldn't be surprised if she had more employees under her at Google than at, the much smaller, Yahoo.

She failed; the buck stops with her; but implying she was unqualified -- and just a diversity hire -- is really pushing it.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 17, 2016, 23:42 Scottish Martial Arts

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 17, 2016, 12:49:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 17, 2016, 11:50:
Waiting for cut/copy/paste functionality.

Seriously?

Just a reminder that most computer (and smartphone users) only know about and use a very small fraction of the features and functionality available, I guess.

News Comments > Into the Black
21. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 15, 2016, 13:18 Scottish Martial Arts

jdreyer wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 03:47:
Also, here's the current top grossing movies with RT scores. Only one "fresh" in the whole bunch. Tells you a lot how much people pay attention to critics:

TOP BOX OFFICE

19% The Boss $23.6M
28% Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice $23.4M
98% Zootopia $14.3M
28% My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 $6.5M
51% Hardcore Henry $5.1M
47% Miracles from Heaven $4.7M
11% God's Not Dead 2 $4.1M
12% The Divergent Series: Allegiant $3.5M

I generally find my movie tastes are pretty similar to what the critics like, but then the last time I went to see a super hero movie was The Dark Knight, and Star Wars was the first mainstream release I went to see in a long time. My summer movie going experience, for example, consisted of Meru, The Look of Silence, The Third Man, Chinatown, and Blade Runner (there are some really awesome movie theaters in LA if you like indie/classic films). In all likelihood, the only movies on that list the mainstream film goer has heard of are Chinatown and Blade Runner, and they aren't new releases lol.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 15, 2016, 12:20 Scottish Martial Arts

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 01:31:
If the backup was done via compressed snapshots recovery of that backup is extremely simple and actually so simple you can do it yourself. Considering he got his files back, I assume his backup was a compressed snapshot archive of the hosted server directories on external drives.

What you forgot is that when you backup website stuff, you probably wanna compress that crap (html/xml compresses really well), take a snapshot and put it in clean labeled directories on some external drive and then you don't need to recover more than -1- file, the snapshot of that day, and even if that fails, you go back your sequential order (since new directory puts clear boundaries between data) until you get a recoverable snapshot archive

And maybe he even used a proper compression format that has built in redundancy and set it to a properly high value so even partial recovery would still give him all his data.

Point being, if you backup properly rm -rf is not gonna scare you.

According to that reddit thread he got his data back btw

Glad to hear he got his data back. At least as initially described however, he had his external backup drives mounted locally on the file system over the network (WTF?), and so they were subject to the unintended rm -rf /. Even if there was some other backup in place that he was able to turn to, the guy sounds massively incompetent as a system admin, and I say that as someone who is by no means a Linux sysadmin wizard, but who at least has heard of fucking rsync. (Sorry, I still can't get over mounting your external back system in the local file system.)

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 15, 2016, 00:21 Scottish Martial Arts

dubfanatic wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 19:15:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 18:34:
Denigrating a brand by associating it with blacks and Latinos isn't racist?

It's appalling, everyone knows minorities use Boost Mobile anyway

ROFL! Okay you made me smile.

The woman may not have explicitly been thinking in racist terms, and probably wasn't, but Sprint's decision to run it was... unwise. When you call something shitty "trailer park" you're making racial (white) associations; when you call something shitty "ghetto", you're also making racial (black) associations. Even if you just mean shitty, and nothing racial, you still probably wouldn't use the term in a job interview or a similar environment. If you wouldn't use a word in a business environment (because of its racial connotations), its probably not a good idea to use it in an advertisement. :-shrug-:

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 14, 2016, 22:02 Scottish Martial Arts

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 19:13:
Someone who doesn't know that rm -rf does not in fact delete anything should probably not be the guy you go to to host a website.

It's like thinking just hitting DEL on your keyboard makes a file disappear forever.

Huh? In nearly every flavor of Unix/Linux of which I'm aware, rm is pretty permanent. The bits are still on the storage device -- at least until overwritten by file I/O operations -- but any file system reference to them are lost. Recovery would depend upon immediately powering down and disconnecting the storage devices in question, to prevent the bits from being overwritten, and then calling in some very expensive data recovery experts to try to reconstruct files from the raw bit sequences still in the storage device. The likelihood of recovery is very, very low. It would be like cat-ing together a series of compiled object files, removing lines at random, and then trying to reconstruct the original uncompiled source files from the resulting mess: you might get something of the original (most of the data is still there, albeit in unintelligible form), but it sure isn't likely.

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 14, 2016, 18:34 Scottish Martial Arts

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 13:53:
OH MY GOD A WHITE WOMAN SAID GHETTO, CALL THE POLICE!

Denigrating a brand by associating it with blacks and Latinos isn't racist?

As Jon Stewart once said, we seem to be really good at teaching people that racism is bad, but we seem to be much less good at teaching people what racism actually is.

(Disclaimer: I'm a T-Mobile customer, and its because the first three words that come in to my mind are "unlimited data plan".)

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Tease
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 13, 2016, 13:55 Scottish Martial Arts

ItBurn wrote on Apr 13, 2016, 11:15:
The story was interesting and the art design was good, but the games are linear, static, simple and have bad shooting. Playing them isn't really pleasant, but maybe it's because I've played more shooters than most.

The first one wasn't especially linear. At least it was a whole lot closer to Ultima Underworld/System Shock/Thief than it was to Call of Duty. I enjoyed the first one, even if the attempts to be deep/meaningful were mostly overwrought. I never played the 2nd, and didn't think Infinite was especially good.

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 12, 2016, 12:17 Scottish Martial Arts

I have one, I wear it daily, I get (sometimes very) useful functionality out of it. But it in no way is a must have, and it's hard to envision it ever being one. As wearable computing gets more powerful and more ubiquitous, I highly suspect non-watch form-factors will ultimately deliver the device that changes wearables from an "interesting" or "nice to have" device, to an essential component of modern life like a smart phone.  

News Comments > Beamdog on Siege of Dragonspear Complaints
82. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 8, 2016, 12:13 Scottish Martial Arts

Julio wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 12:10:
There are plenty of websites that exist if you want to see pics of guys in their boxers.

Nah I'm more interested in how the decline of men translates into the decline of muscle mass and the formation of man tits. I strongly suspect there is a correlation. Care to prove me wrong?

News Comments > Beamdog on Siege of Dragonspear Complaints
79. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 8, 2016, 11:52 Scottish Martial Arts

Wraith wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 11:31:
It's possible to have female friends, but genuine female friends are women you have a mutual respect with - not women you have a secret yearning to fuck.

So men can only be friends with women if the women in question are ugly/sexually unattractive?

It's shit like this that makes me wish there was a forum rule that if you're going to go on and on about the "decline of men", you need to post up to date, verifiable photo(s) of yourself in your boxers first. If you aren't a virile specimen of male strength and beauty, an image of a man all women are yearning to fuck, then you need to work on the decline of your own flabby ass before concerning yourself with the supposed decline of your gender.

It's what a real man would do.

2913 Comments. 146 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo