Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 3040 (Veteran)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
21. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 18:22 Scottish Martial Arts

descender wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 16:29:
The only argument that holds water for buying a Mac, IMO, is that you use a piece of software that only exists and runs on IOS.

iOS software doesn't run on OS X/macOS, although most OS X software has an iOS version, and vice-versa, both of which can talk to each other, synchronize data, and offer seamless transitions between devices.

At any rate, while the 90s PC gaming scene taught us to think that software availability on the Mac was garbage, the truth is for non-gaming software, the Mac in 2016 has a very vibrant ecosystem, with the standout programs often unavailable on the PC. To your point, choosing to use a Mac because of the software available for it is a pretty compelling argument.

At any rate, the key problems with the Mac, as I see them, are the price, and the user-hostile stuff like lack of ports and lack of upgradeability. To be honest though, the latter ends up being a non-issue: Apple devices hold their value so well that when you resell your old device, the new one ends up only costing as much as a bigger upgrade. For example, the 13" MBP I'm looking at upgrading currently has a resell value of $1000-$1200 on eBay. In contrast, I've never successfully resold PC components because they definitely do not hold their value.

But aside from price, I generally vastly prefer my Mac, and only fire up the PC for gaming.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 14:20 Scottish Martial Arts

Nullity wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 14:16:
snip

True, although Linux isn't without it's drawbacks. I mean ffs, getting a printer working with Linux is frequently an exercise in despair. For software development, Linux is superb, but when it comes to say, using peripherals or running commercial software like Photoshop, you're often in for an extra hour or two of fucking around. FWIW, I used Ubuntu on my dev system prior to getting my Mac a few years ago.

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 14:14 Scottish Martial Arts

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 13:53:
snip

Agreed, with a stronger emphasis on the Unix development environment. A large number of software development packages and libraries have portability issues on Windows. (While I'm not a Ruby developer, I double dog dare you to get a Ruby on Rails development environment going on Windows.) The best tools are written for *nix first, and Windows second, if at all. It just quickly becomes a pain in the ass to get work done on Windows. Unix, after all, was written to be easy to develop software on. So if Windows is out -- except for Windows application development obviously -- then you can run either Linux or you can get a Mac. The vast majority of software engineers go the latter route, and I certainly don't regret my decision to do the same, even if the up front cost of hardware can sometimes induce a nosebleed.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 13:45 Scottish Martial Arts

Well in fairness, it's a cable not a dongle. Still, the move to all USB-C feels way too soon.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 27, 2016, 23:02 Scottish Martial Arts

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 22:24:
I have no desire to upgrade my 2014 mbPro any time soon, but damn Apple screwed us VI users by getting rid of the ESC key. I'm going to have to do some key remapping to fix this cluster fuck if I ever get one of these.

If you do go for one of the new ones, remap your CAPSLOCK key to ESC. I've been doing that for vim editing for a couple years now and haven't looked back. What initially prompted the remap was learning that the terminal Bill Joy designed vi for had it's ESC key where the Tab key is on most modern keyboards; a remapped CAPSLOCK key is closer to the intent of how modal editing was supposed to work than the position the modern ESC key affords. With CAPSLOCK remapped to ESC, switching modes is faster and requires less dexterity with my pinkie.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 27, 2016, 21:44 Scottish Martial Arts

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 20:04:
Those Apple prices must be for the tricked out SLI CrossFired gaming versions, how much for just a normal Apple laptop that runs windows.

Of the new ones? $1500 starting price. The fully tricked out 15" definitely has some of the highest specs available in a laptop today but the price is pretty jaw dropping. I was looking at upgrading, but it's tough to pull the trigger on a $3500 purchase. I can try to justify it as "I'm a software engineer and I'm investing in a tool of my profession", but I was hoping to have that conversation with myself for about $1000 less than this. D:

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 27, 2016, 18:50 Scottish Martial Arts

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 11:49:
I never understood the idea behind Mad Men. It might have been critically acclaimed, but it still tried to glorify a stupid drug dealer. I don't watch such trash.

You're referring to Breaking Bad, presumably. The drug dealer in question wasn't stupid, but he was prideful. And you know what they say goes before a fall...

Frankly, only a stupid person would interpret Breaking Bad as a glorification of drug dealing. An otherwise decent man destroys himself and his family because he was too proud to accept that by middle age his dreams of youth hadn't come to fruition? Yeah, that totally sounds like glorification.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 26, 2016, 18:55 Scottish Martial Arts

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 26, 2016, 18:41:
Here it is... omg such a reinvention. I haven't seen anything like this since Little Nicky transformed a Coke into a Pepsi.

https://i.gyazo.com/1c67b5963c6c79531497d9ca2d35f3cc.png

The hinge swings down, allowing the person to use it as a stylus tablet. For CAD and graphics applications this is fairly significant: what was once an awkward setup wherein you drew on a peripheral tablet while watching the monitor is now an integrated system wherein your PC becomes a drafting table on demand. I have no need or desire for something like this, but for the target users, this is a clear step up over the iMacs most of them are currently using.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 26, 2016, 18:02 Scottish Martial Arts

WaltC wrote on Oct 26, 2016, 15:30:
The desktop PC (I don't mean laptops, "hybrids" or other battery-powered abominations) is by far the best value going for consumers because (a decent) desktop is user upgradable and user-serviceable.

Except that users by and large don't want user-upgradeable and user-servicable. They want something that they can use while sitting on the couch or while on their commute. While not comparable to a modern desktop, a modern laptop has more than enough horsepower to serve the use of anyone who isn't a hardcore gamer or graphics/video editor. Amazingly, most people don't like sitting at a desk unless they have to.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 23, 2016, 23:46 Scottish Martial Arts

ShakaUVM wrote on Oct 23, 2016, 21:50:
It's different enough to be justified in calling it a new game.

I suppose. I didn't spend enough time playing it to get into the nitty gritty details of how it differs, of which I'm sure there are plenty. My first impression however was that this was a new art style, a reskinned UI, reworked civics, and reworked city building, i.e. districts and builders. Everything else felt like tweaks around the margins, and as I was getting close to that 2 hour mark, I realized I wasn't comfortable dropping 60 bucks on this.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 23, 2016, 18:36 Scottish Martial Arts

I bought, and then returned, Civ 6. Too much like Civ 5 to be worth the full asking price. All other Civ games felt meaningfully different from their predecessors, whereas this one felt like a Civ 5 expansion pack. A meaty expansion pack, but an expansion pack nonetheless, and I can't justify $60 for a game I already own.  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI Released
23. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2016, 10:40 Scottish Martial Arts

MattyC wrote on Oct 22, 2016, 05:39:
I have never missed any part of the series other than BE.

Sounds like you didn't miss anything then.

I must admit, the bad taste left over from BE is the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on buying this. BE was *so* bad that's hard to imagine this being worthwhile at launch, even if the general impression seems to be "yes, it is."

Help!

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Released
50. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2016, 10:17 Scottish Martial Arts

Slick wrote on Oct 22, 2016, 02:23:
Also, I fly totally with KB+M, some pros use the keyboard, but they switch to the mouse for actually shooting, you can't accurately track and lead with a joystick or def not with the keyboard compared to a mouse, it's just the most direct input on offer.

Hmm, see that's kind of interesting because with flight simming, one of the first things you learn about employing guns is that you fly your airplane so that the enemy flies into your crosshairs, as opposed to flying your crosshairs onto the enemy. Typically, that means developing a certain rate of turn and holding it for long enough that everything lines up and you can get off a solid burst. For that kind of sustained, measured control, I've never found anything to better than a joystick.

Sorry, not meaning to be contrarian here. I just find it interesting that a control scheme that absolutely would not work in, say, DCS, is by far the best way to play in Battlefield these days. Particularly because in the Battlefield 1942/Battlefield 2 days, my old logitech joystick was a huge asset to flying the planes and helicopters.

44. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2016, 00:29 Scottish Martial Arts

DangerDog wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 22:36:

Nope, I have a full CH HOTAS setup, tried it. Didn't help one bit.

Huh, go figure. But if it works, I guess it works. I've never played Battlefield's air game competitively, but I have been flight simming on and off for 15 years now, and it's just hard for me to conceive of a keyboard ever flying an airplane better than a joystick.

40. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 21, 2016, 22:08 Scottish Martial Arts

DangerDog wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 21:41:

some of the more competent flyers in Battlefield just use the keyboard only, you fly in third person for situational awareness arrow keys for direction W and S for throttle A and D for yaw, assign spacebar for pitch up. Fire with right control key.

In BF4 there was the UCAV unlock tied to playing Air Superiority mode and you had to get jet kills, I tried all sorts of configurations but finally did best with just keyboard only. That was brutal, you had people just hanging out who had mastered the max speed for optimum turns and could wipe out a whole server of n00bs in seconds.

The extent to which people will go to avoid buying a $30 joystick. Hey, whatever works I guess.

38. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 21, 2016, 19:30 Scottish Martial Arts

Slick wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 19:14:

Even back in the Descent days, the competitive scene all migrated towards KB+M over joystick, it just offers more accuracy, and faster accuracy.

Descent had completely different flight dynamics than that of an airplane though.

Granted, the Battlefield flight model isn't remotely realistic but it at least mimics the way airplanes fly, which means you need to hold various continuous, analog inputs for different maneuvers. Carefully swiping the mouse a set number of times just seems like holding yourself back compared to pulling back partially on the stick for however long you need it.

30. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 21, 2016, 15:54 Scottish Martial Arts

Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 15:17:
Yeah, unconfirmed but I read on EA's forums that numerous large retailers and gaming companies are under a DDOS attack by bots.

Not just gaming and retail. It's a general attack on the DNS infrastructure of the internet. Any server that doesn't have an up to date entry in your DNS cache will likely have intermittent connectivity.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI Released
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 21, 2016, 13:05 Scottish Martial Arts

So... worth a buy at full price if you've generally enjoyed Civ/Alpha Centauri?  

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 21, 2016, 12:47 Scottish Martial Arts

Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 12:37:
Thats not what I mean. I know very well that it wasnt just trench warfare. But getting thrown into the game with everything developed already, not getting shown how much that war changed war, that is just stupid.

Ah, my mistake. I saw the WWII comment and assumed you meant there wasn't enough trench warfare.

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 21, 2016, 12:17 Scottish Martial Arts

Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 12:03:
Quboid wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 11:53:
TotalBiscuit's comments on the single player have put me off, they seem to have completely missed the style of WW1.

Well, its pretty obvious also if you watch some gameplay videos.
Feels more like a mix of WW1 and WW2, leaning stronger to WW2. Fictitious.

Note: the Western Front from September 1914 to the start of 1918 was not what the rest of the war looked like. The Battle of the Somme is perhaps the strongest image of WWI which survived to present, but focusing only on the Somme neglects the rest of the war, and creates a skewed image. The Eastern Front, the Italian and Roumanian Fronts, and the Western Front in 1918 can be characterized by mobility, encirclement, infiltration, breakthroughs, and great tactical innovation. Yes, trenches were involved everywhere -- just like trenches are still dug today for prepared defensive positions -- but the classic image of massed infantry charges across no-man's land under withering machine gun, mortar and artillery fire is something that only applies to parts of the war.

Sorry, this is a pet-peeve of mine. If you're interested in a more general vision of the combat experience of WWI, and the tactical lessons the US Army was drawing from them in the 1930s, check out the superb Infantry in Battle.

3040 Comments. 152 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo