Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 3007 (Veteran)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Released
44. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2016, 00:29 Scottish Martial Arts

DangerDog wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 22:36:

Nope, I have a full CH HOTAS setup, tried it. Didn't help one bit.

Huh, go figure. But if it works, I guess it works. I've never played Battlefield's air game competitively, but I have been flight simming on and off for 15 years now, and it's just hard for me to conceive of a keyboard ever flying an airplane better than a joystick.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 21, 2016, 22:08 Scottish Martial Arts

DangerDog wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 21:41:

some of the more competent flyers in Battlefield just use the keyboard only, you fly in third person for situational awareness arrow keys for direction W and S for throttle A and D for yaw, assign spacebar for pitch up. Fire with right control key.

In BF4 there was the UCAV unlock tied to playing Air Superiority mode and you had to get jet kills, I tried all sorts of configurations but finally did best with just keyboard only. That was brutal, you had people just hanging out who had mastered the max speed for optimum turns and could wipe out a whole server of n00bs in seconds.

The extent to which people will go to avoid buying a $30 joystick. Hey, whatever works I guess.

38. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 21, 2016, 19:30 Scottish Martial Arts

Slick wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 19:14:

Even back in the Descent days, the competitive scene all migrated towards KB+M over joystick, it just offers more accuracy, and faster accuracy.

Descent had completely different flight dynamics than that of an airplane though.

Granted, the Battlefield flight model isn't remotely realistic but it at least mimics the way airplanes fly, which means you need to hold various continuous, analog inputs for different maneuvers. Carefully swiping the mouse a set number of times just seems like holding yourself back compared to pulling back partially on the stick for however long you need it.

30. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 21, 2016, 15:54 Scottish Martial Arts

Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 15:17:
Yeah, unconfirmed but I read on EA's forums that numerous large retailers and gaming companies are under a DDOS attack by bots.

Not just gaming and retail. It's a general attack on the DNS infrastructure of the internet. Any server that doesn't have an up to date entry in your DNS cache will likely have intermittent connectivity.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI Released
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 21, 2016, 13:05 Scottish Martial Arts

So... worth a buy at full price if you've generally enjoyed Civ/Alpha Centauri?  

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 21, 2016, 12:47 Scottish Martial Arts

Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 12:37:
Thats not what I mean. I know very well that it wasnt just trench warfare. But getting thrown into the game with everything developed already, not getting shown how much that war changed war, that is just stupid.

Ah, my mistake. I saw the WWII comment and assumed you meant there wasn't enough trench warfare.

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 21, 2016, 12:17 Scottish Martial Arts

Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 12:03:
Quboid wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 11:53:
TotalBiscuit's comments on the single player have put me off, they seem to have completely missed the style of WW1.

Well, its pretty obvious also if you watch some gameplay videos.
Feels more like a mix of WW1 and WW2, leaning stronger to WW2. Fictitious.

Note: the Western Front from September 1914 to the start of 1918 was not what the rest of the war looked like. The Battle of the Somme is perhaps the strongest image of WWI which survived to present, but focusing only on the Somme neglects the rest of the war, and creates a skewed image. The Eastern Front, the Italian and Roumanian Fronts, and the Western Front in 1918 can be characterized by mobility, encirclement, infiltration, breakthroughs, and great tactical innovation. Yes, trenches were involved everywhere -- just like trenches are still dug today for prepared defensive positions -- but the classic image of massed infantry charges across no-man's land under withering machine gun, mortar and artillery fire is something that only applies to parts of the war.

Sorry, this is a pet-peeve of mine. If you're interested in a more general vision of the combat experience of WWI, and the tactical lessons the US Army was drawing from them in the 1930s, check out the superb Infantry in Battle.

News Comments > SAG-AFTRA Statement
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 20, 2016, 19:54 Scottish Martial Arts

Grokk wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 19:22:
These companies are immensely profitable, and successful games which are the only games this dispute is about
The time has come to end the freeloader model of compensation

I'm confused as to what they're saying. On one hand, they want to freeload off the work of a *only* successful companies, but on the other they want an end to "freeloading".

Do you not understand what a royalty is, or are you being willfully dense to point out what you perceive as a contradiction?

I have no problem with voice actors being paid royalties, but I also have no idea what is standard practice for this line of work, which would determine whether or not this is an appropriate ask.

News Comments > Nintendo Switch Announced
35. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 20, 2016, 16:59 Scottish Martial Arts

Kabuto wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 15:15:
Bumpy wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 13:17:
Hmmm...connect a bluetooth gamepad to your phone or tablet and you, for the most part, get the same thing.

Or am I missing something obvious?

And play what? The processing power might be there but the games aren't.

It's an entirely different gaming market with an entirely different target audience leading to entirely different games. The fact that AAA console games aren't available on mobile devices doesn't deter the people who don't buy those games in the first place. I don't have the stats, but I would not be surprised if the iPhone is currently the world's most popular gaming device. At any rate, turn-based strategy, puzzle games, racing games, minecraft-style sandboxes, and adventure games are what are most popular on mobile devices, and most of them are not available on consoles or the PC.

News Comments > DOOM Free Update 4
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 20, 2016, 16:43 Scottish Martial Arts

Pr()ZaC wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 15:23:
I don't know what B's readers saw in this game.

Frenetic, fast-paced, movement-based, action with satisfying weapons, swarms of mobile, aggressive enemies, and periods of maximum tension that last 5+ minutes at a time. There were times where I literally caught myself holding my breath, the action would come so fast, and so intense.

What's not in the demo: https://youtu.be/BwAVoaZcN6Y?t=1m11s

News Comments > DOOM Free Update 4
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 20, 2016, 14:56 Scottish Martial Arts

Angrius Maximis wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 13:43:
My biggest waste of money game wise in 2016 was this turd

Huh? Best shooter campaign I've played in a long time. Multiplayer does suck though, I'll give you that.

25. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 20, 2016, 14:54 Scottish Martial Arts

jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 14:30:
Pretty sure it's the latter. No one is going to want to carry around yet another device. I don't see anywhere that this can connect to the internet. Does it replicate other tablet functions? Is the screen multitouch? People will expect these things. And cartridges???

I'd be shocked if the tablet didn't have wi-fi connectivity. I would similarly be shocked if the tablet was not multi-touch although that functionality wasn't demoed so who knows. As for cartridges, I generally appreciate it when mobile devices have a flash card slot. Maybe you prefer the baked in capacity of an iPad?

Look I don't know if this thing will be worth getting or not. But I can say that basically everyone in my peer group of 30-something non-gamers is buzzing about it, just like they were buzzing about Pokemon Go. I can easily see this system being a thing, or it could be another Wii U. The fact that it's not a PS4 and likely has less powerful hardware is not what's going to kill it though. The seamless transition, or not, between use cases and ease of use being equally compelling in all use cases is.

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 20, 2016, 12:43 Scottish Martial Arts

SirKnight wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 12:15:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 12:04:
Looks like yet another underpowered console (that finally gets Skyrim, and does it get mods?).

Dear Nintendo.
Keep your mobile gaming market. Kill off your consoles and start making your awesome IP's for other systems/pc's.

*wonders how long before a kid looses the controllers*

Raw horsepower isn't everything. Sometimes you have to scale the power back a little to bring up other areas. This is obvious by what Nintendo is trying to do with the Switch. It's also obvious with cars where what good is 1000HP if you can't hook up? You'll end up getting beat by someone with <= 500HP.

The Switch looks incredible in every way and I will be pre-ordering this ASAP.

Indeed. This won't appeal to the Bluesnews crowd, but it does seem very nicely targeted to how most casual gamers -- which is basically everyone in their teens, twenties, and thirties -- play games these days. And from a hardware design standpoint, the seamless transition between different usage modes is very, very cool. Whether it's effective at making gaming wherever seamless, or just a gimmick, remains to be seen though.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 18, 2016, 16:37 Scottish Martial Arts

DangerDog wrote on Oct 18, 2016, 16:28:
$1.25 million? George Soros drops that kind on money on Hillary like it's pocket change.

Not to worry though, the fix is in and Hillary is going to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDc8PVCvfKs

Yes, the simplest and most obvious answer for why Donald Fucking Trump is losing the election is that Democrats systemically commit voter fraud nationwide, because as we all know the election system is completely centralized in Washington and wouldn't require the collusion of both Democrat and Republican office holders at all levels of government all across the country in order to pull off. I can't possibly see how Trump might have alienated all but one group he needs for a winning electoral coalition, so the only answer must be fraud. I mean why wouldn't Trump do at least as well with women and minorities as Romney? /rollseyes

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 18, 2016, 15:55 Scottish Martial Arts

atomicfro wrote on Oct 18, 2016, 13:08:
California isn't too keen on free speech. Whatever happened to "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

I wonder if the Californian liberals realize they treat each other like the Amish.

I wasn't aware the state of California was indicting Thiel under thought-crime charges.

Venting outrage is not the same as restricting speech. Is this really so hard to understand?

News Comments > GOG.com Adding Two-Step Logins
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 16, 2016, 15:06 Scottish Martial Arts

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 14:46:
You left the most important step out, namely how to go from knowing your name, to having access to say, gmail would lead to having access to a bank, which is usually protected by some better protection than only 1 password and would NEVER email you passwords, they would send them via postal service... and that would take a lot of effort to nab

That said you are 100% correct, ain't no such thing as a unimportant site.

Depending on the bank, the info in a typical Facebook account might be enough to at least make progress by conning a phone rep. Most people have their name and address and phone number, , etc. privately accessible on Facebook. Plenty to work with for social engineering purposes. Good catch though on physically mailing a password reset confirmation code rather than emailing the confirmation code though.

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 16, 2016, 14:02 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 13:44:
Mac wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 13:15:
Cutter wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 12:25:
Thanks but I never store my CC details online anywhere. So the most someone could do either DL games I've bought or buy me some new ones.

Or alter your password and email address and make it a general pain in the ass to get your account back. Hopefully you use different passwords for your bank, steam, MMO's, etc too or they also have access to them

Yeah, but they'd need to have hacked your email as for the confirmation. Unlikely. And yeah, I keep different and tough PWs for sensitive sites like banking and a few easy ones for non-important sites where I could care less if they get hacked or not.

If the attackers get into your GOG.com account, then they know what your email address is. They then can run a search on password dumps of breached sites for your address. Wherever your address comes up in those searches, they have potential passwords to try since most people reuse them. Perhaps from there that get access to an old social media account that you had set to private, allowing them to gain a bunch of personal information about you. Seeing a spam message from your bank in your email mailbox, they then place a call to your bank's support line, claiming to be you and claiming to have forgotten your password. When the ask for personal information to confirm your identity, they read it straight from that forgotten social media account. The bank support rep then sends an email with a confirmation code which the attacker can of course see and read back. Now, the attacker has access to your bank account. All of this through a GOG.com breach, a supposedly unimportant site, and having used the same email address on other sites over the course of your time on the internet.

Of course, there is a simple solution to this: A) use two factor authentication so no one can log in to your accounts without possessing your cell phone or authenticator dongle, and B) use a password manager so all of your accounts have unique 20+ character passwords that can't be easily cracked from a hash if the site it belongs to ever gets breached.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 16, 2016, 13:31 Scottish Martial Arts

Mac wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 13:15:
Cutter wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 12:25:
Thanks but I never store my CC details online anywhere. So the most someone could do either DL games I've bought or buy me some new ones.

Or alter your password and email address and make it a general pain in the ass to get your account back. Hopefully you use different passwords for your bank, steam, MMO's, etc too or they also have access to them

Yeah I was about to say that it's incredibly naive to think that because one service account isn't terribly important you can be lax in its security, particularly if you reuse passwords, account email addresses, or security questions. There are plenty of people that literally make their living leveraging one ill secured account to gain access to better secured, more important, and more economically valuable accounts. Frankly, it baffles me that someone wouldn't use two-factor authentication and a password manager for all of their accounts in 2016. It's a lot easier than the alternative of keeping hundreds of passwords and email addresses in my head and using fake security question answers that can't be uncovered through social media.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 16, 2016, 12:09 Scottish Martial Arts

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 10:38:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 00:40:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 15, 2016, 23:22:
... if humans are going to set foot on another planet in our lifetimes, that planet is Mars.
If I want to win the lottery, I have to buy a ticket. My winning the lottery and us getting someone to Mars in our lifetimes have about the same chance. Not impossible, but not very damn likely.
Humans will continue to buy lottery tickets and just maybe your great (or great great) grand children will see a manned launch headed towards mars. But if they buy a lottery ticket, odds are they won't win.

I'm not that familiar with the technical challenges involved, aside from the long duration of the mission and somehow carrying the fuel that would allow you to get back into orbit of Mars on mission completion. Are the technical challenges really so vast as to be a 100 year project? The nonexpert impression I had gotten was that this would be doable in a generation, i.e. within our lifetimes, as opposed to three or four generations down the line.

edit: Looked it up, sounds like the main challenge is how to transport enough fuel, food, and other supplies to sustain the mission both there and back. The timescale NASA was talking about, at least prior to budget cuts, was the mid 2030s for a manned orbital mission, and perhaps the 2040s for a manned landing mission.

I'm curious, why are we ascribing lottery like odds to actually pulling this off? Because of the likelihood of sustained funding in our current political environment? Or is there some huge technical hurdle that I'm not seeing?

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2016, 12:16.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm "Systemic Level" Changes Coming
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 16, 2016, 02:25 Scottish Martial Arts

Grokk wrote on Oct 15, 2016, 21:36:
I don't play the game, I just wanted to comment on Blizzards need to constantly "balance" every little thing, and how they tend to screw everything else just to fix a small balance issue.

Two things happen to software: either no one uses it and it dies, or people use it and it evolves in accordance with user needs. Blizzard games get played. A lot. That means that user needs unaddressed by the current version come up, and consequently Blizzard has a financial stake in addressing them. That Blizzard doesn't always get it right is just a reflection of the fact that software is a human artifact produced for human use and not a pure mathematical perfection that can be achieved and never touched again. At least when they royally fuck up, they tend to recognize it and fix it.

3007 Comments. 151 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo