Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 2874 (Senior)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Beamdog on Siege of Dragonspear Complaints
79. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 8, 2016, 11:52 Scottish Martial Arts

Wraith wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 11:31:
It's possible to have female friends, but genuine female friends are women you have a mutual respect with - not women you have a secret yearning to fuck.

So men can only be friends with women if the women in question are ugly/sexually unattractive?

It's shit like this that makes me wish there was a forum rule that if you're going to go on and on about the "decline of men", you need to post up to date, verifiable photo(s) of yourself in your boxers first. If you aren't a virile specimen of male strength and beauty, an image of a man all women are yearning to fuck, then you need to work on the decline of your own flabby ass before concerning yourself with the supposed decline of your gender.

It's what a real man would do.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2016, 19:06 Scottish Martial Arts

FloorPie wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 18:40:
Hah, people citing the Riker versus ensemenating a husk chick-non chick episode of TNG. Pretty sure that episode was to demonize straights vs gay more than gender binary vs not. Of course, in that TNG episode you could argue they had evolved to non binary genders rather than say, just cutting off body parts.

The episode was definitely written in response to the treatment of gays by mainstream society when the AIDS epidemic was still at its height. But it's also one of those instances where an author's story takes on new dimensions once its out in the wild. While the screenwriter had gays in mind when she wrote the script, the allegory that results is all about gender identity: the outcast is an outcast because she "feels like she is female", because she identifies in a way that her society says she isn't supposed to be able to identify. Sounds like a transgender person to me. So yes, while the episode in question was written in response to the social response to the AIDS epidemic, and the sudden prominence of gays in the public eye that that epidemic brought, the story ends up being just as much about trans people.

I remembered enjoying it as a kid, and enjoyed it even more as an adult, finding its conclusion all the more heartbreaking when seen with adult eyes. I brought it up because it's an example of popular entertainment, that is A) popular, B) entertaining, and C) addresses a contemporary social issue, and does so without somehow wrecking video gamer culture Star Trek.

43. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2016, 17:58 Scottish Martial Arts

LittleMe wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 16:51:
Bingo. Roll reversal is another way to put it. Puts the outcasts in the role of the ruling intolerant oppressors and a degree of clarity as to the absurdity of it can be seen. Well, that's the objective anyway with regards to that episode of ST:TNG.

Allegory is a very valid and useful form of literature, even if it can be discomforting. Now if its poorly executed or in bad taste, then that is a separate issue.

Yup. Since we are a gendered species, and since for 99.9% of us that gender is binary, we intuitively empathize with and understand the perspective of the eponymous outcast in that episode. Again, through allegory and role reversal, it takes what we intuitively call normal and imagines a world in which our normal is their "perversion". Since we understand female gender, we can see how unjust it is for this alien society to persecute one of its members simply for being female. But to anyone who can read subtext, the alien woman and her situation clearly isn't meant to represent androgynes oppressing gendered men and women, she is supposed to represent our own society's oppression of people who don't cleanly fit into the male/female binary. Since we understand her perspective and her oppression, since we can feel empathy for her, we can then begin to apply that empathy to a group of people whom we perhaps don't understand so well: trans and gay people.

That's the power of good narrative fiction that is unique to narrative fiction, and particularly science-fiction: since the writer isn't bound by what is real or factual, he or she can explore ideas by imagining alternate possibilities, possibilities that take the shape of fictional stories. Thus, the quip about lying to tell the truth: by using our imagination to explore ideas from the real world in the stories we tell and consume, we can arrive at a deeper understanding of those ideas that a "mere" objective/scientific analysis would never bring to light.

edit: About 2400 years ago, a dead white male named Socrates said that "An unexamined life is not worth living." If you think there might be some merit to that idea, then we do ourselves a disservice when all we want from our narrative fiction is escapism; we could be getting deep examinations of our own lives, while being entertained at the same time. Literature, film, television: the good example of those media provide that kind of examination, but sadly video games don't, or do so poorly, or rarely. It sounds like Dragon Spear merely mentioned a social issue to score points, failing miserably in the process, but that failure doesn't mean we shouldn't ask for games that make us think about our lives as humans in our present moment in history.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 2016, 18:06.

22. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2016, 14:33 Scottish Martial Arts

jdreyer wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 14:29:
Was there this kind of outcry when Dragon Age introduced its gay character? Or when Mass Effect allowed same-sex relationships? I don't recall anything this big.

There was, but to a smaller extent, and mostly confined to the angrier, more alt-right corners of the Internet. But that was pre-GamerGate.

17. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2016, 13:55 Scottish Martial Arts

Icewind wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 13:35:
I had to laugh, because the Star Trek example you gave actually shows the aggressiveness and insincerity of your typical trans person by having an entire planet of them be so married to their beliefs that they punish those who don't fall in line with them.

typical SJW behavior, really.

You didn't research your example much, didja?

It's called using allegory to flip the script, and you're inability to detect that shows, frankly, a very low level sophistication in your approach to narrative literature. Most people fear and/or hate trans people because they don't understand their experience and make conclusions based upon that lack of understanding. The episode in question asks non-trans people to imagine what life would be like if they were the hated minority, to imagine how they would feel if having a binary gender was the anomaly rather than the norm, and by imagining such a scenario through watching a story, and by examining the thoughts and feelings that story creates in them, perhaps also reexamine how they think about trans and gay people, and how our society treats them.

Would you want to live in such a society as the one portrayed in that episode? A society where binary gender is outlawed? No? Then why do you support a society that tries to outlaw non-binary gender? How is one society any different than the other, except that you were fortunate enough to belong to the majority, non-hated/feared part of the society in which you live? Those are the questions the episode is asking, and if you couldn't detect that question, then, like I said, you bring very little sophistication or thoughtfulness to your consumption of fiction.

This wasn't a lack of research on my part; this is an ability process subtext or detect allegory on yours.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 2016, 14:01.

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2016, 13:05 Scottish Martial Arts

Darks wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 12:17:
Bludd wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 11:56:
Have fun living in your bubble where you can cower and hide from the realities and issues of the day.

Science fiction and fantasy literature have always been about real life issues. It's by putting the story in a setting where the trivialities and rules of the universe can be skipped to focus on telling the story, which have always - in the best sci-fi and fantasy - been about the times and people and the world and all issues therein.

Apparently it's you that's living in a bubble, most common people prefer to not deal or hear about this lame bullshit. It does not have a place in gaming where people are trying to most likely place their political views and cramming them down everyone's throats.

Which would explain why Star Trek was such an unpopular and short lived series: using science fiction as a way to understand ourselves and the present is something no one wants. Oh wait, we're talking about one of the longest lived and most popular institutions of popular culture, one which even had an episode exploring what life is like for transgender people, in 1992!

Good fiction writing is NEVER purely escapist, because otherwise it would mean the writer has nothing on his or her mind which the writing is a response to; if you don't have ideas, then your story doesn't have anything to say. When a story says nothing about our lives in the real world, it isn't good writing. That doesn't mean a story needs to be a response to hot button issues, but it does mean that it could, for example, explore the guilt that comes from an irreversible mistake: immersing yourself in the experience of such a character tells you a LOT about how you live your own life.

If all you want out of literary media is to slay dragons, you're living an impoverished life. Full stop.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 6, 2016, 22:12 Scottish Martial Arts

Upside of a password manager: complex, autogenerated passwords you don't have to remember.

Downside of a password manager: rules out seriously using new browsers which don't support your password manager's plugin.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 6, 2016, 12:42 Scottish Martial Arts

The Microsoft Subsystem for Linux tech looks pretty amazing. Windows a viable developer platform? Sounds like it may be possible.

I've grown to prefer my Mac to my PC for a variety of usage reasons, but at the end of the day, I bought a Mac because I had no choice: web development on a PC is an exercise in pain, Linux is an improvement over Windows as a developer platform but brings its own issues, the industrial design/core hardware/price point mix for Macbooks have been vastly superior to the shit machines Dell or HP have (until only very recently) churned out for a long time, and for those reasons, Macs have become the default developer machine, at least in the tech industry, so documentation and new tools get written with a "Mac first" perspective. As the Ars article said, a Macbook is a Unix developer workstation for a not-cheap-but-still-reasonable price, where as a Windows machine is for corporate office workers or gamers who need custom hardware builds.

While I'm pretty fully a Mac convert at this point, one thing I definitely don't like about them is the premium price for the core hardware: even the iMacs are essentially laptops with full size monitors. I'm willing to pay more for superior industrial engineering, but not for very good, but not top of the line, computational hardware. But now that Windows can convert POSIX syscalls to Windows syscalls, has bash, and a package manager, and it all just works (apparently), the lure of building high powered machines for cheap starts to become more compelling.

It would mean having to go back to Windows though, and that means losing the usability and work flow advantages of OS X that I've come to enjoy so much. But it would also mean having a VR-ready machine that I can also do work on...

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 21, 2016, 11:59 Scottish Martial Arts

So Doom has lost all play-worthiness or historical value because we have Call of Duty? Literature is irrelevant because we have video games and, shortly, VR? Shitty world you live in.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 20, 2016, 15:52 Scottish Martial Arts

ledhead1969 wrote on Mar 20, 2016, 15:32:
"Apple's fight with the FBI is about LGBTQ issues as well as privacy."

Blue, why would you post a story from The Onion and play it off as a real story?

The story's legit. It's just contextualizing some of the potential consequences of an FBI mandated backdoor making it out into the wild. Specifically, in many parts of the world, being gay is sufficient grounds for imprisonment or execution. Heck, in most US states, its entirely legal to fire or evict someone for being gay. A data breach which exposes, for example, text message content between a same sex couple could have pretty dire consequences for the individuals involved.

If the focus on consequences to a specific identity group upsets you, then just replace "LGBTQ issues" with "the security of your banking data" in the headline and perhaps the case will feel more relevant to you personally.

News Comments > Tyranny Announced
29. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 16, 2016, 17:02 Scottish Martial Arts

Beamer wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 15:05:
Even if he provided it himself, lives off Blues should stay off Blues. No need to know who or what Cutter is or is not, beyond what he provides here.

And, for that reason, I was hoping that SMA would appear here, I just disagree with him about bringing Cutter's photo into this.

Fair enough. My immediate response to Cutter's latest performance was "what the fuck is wrong with you?" But when you're dealing with someone who lacks both shame and self-awareness, such a response goes nowhere. Mockery is the only answer, and evidently it got enough of a rise out of him to get a post deleted.

24. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 16, 2016, 14:44 Scottish Martial Arts

jdreyer wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 14:36:
[
Huh, that should be online SOMEwhere.

It would have been in 2003 or 2004, when he still went by Halsy. If you want to get adventurous and check his post history, the link might still work!

News Comments > Free Planetary Annihilation Keys
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 16, 2016, 14:18 Scottish Martial Arts

mellis wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 13:02:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 11:57:
Although, Homeworld remastered and Homeworld Deserts of Kharak both pretty awesome strategy games imo.

Agreed.

Is there much of a multiplayer community emerging for Deserts of Kharak? I thoroughly enjoyed the single player campaign, but the Steam player count numbers aren't encouraging, and I haven't been sure if I want to invest the time in learning the multiplayer game if no one is in fact playing.

20. removed Mar 16, 2016, 12:03 Scottish Martial Arts

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 16, 2016, 14:56.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 13, 2016, 12:19 Scottish Martial Arts

I'm always kind of surprised at the rancor directed at DST when its time to switch. The pain of the switch only lasts a day (or two I suppose if your internal clock is particularly slow to adjust) but the benefit of long summer evenings and of winter mornings where the sun is at least partly up by the time you get to work last for the rest of the year. Nice to see you distinguish between the switch and the concept in general, Blue. (I do however feel tired and grump from an hour less sleep in an already short night though!)  

News Comments > Diablo II Patch Adds OS X Support
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 11, 2016, 19:32 Scottish Martial Arts

KS wrote on Mar 11, 2016, 13:01:
Yeesh I loved it but don't even know where my discs are anymore.

I assume a 63 fire trapsassin is still on their server somewhere. Alls I was doing was Pindleskin runs anyway.

I'm pretty sure that if you still have the CD key, you can just enter it into your Battle.net account and get the installer. Of course, given that CD keys were on the CD case in 2000 and that if you're missing the CDs you probably don't have the case around, then that doesn't do you much good.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 4, 2016, 21:22 Scottish Martial Arts

So did any of you even read the article? Because we're now 12 comments into this thread and the word "obesity", which is what the demonstrative pronoun in the article title refers to, has yet to be mentioned...  

News Comments > HTC Vive Preorders This Morning
26. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 1, 2016, 00:14 Scottish Martial Arts

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 18:18:
I'm an ole man these days, but don't feel as old as the comments I read here. Not sure if there is a better gaming site now with some fresh optimism. But overall this audience seems to be getting too old for my pov.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one feeling this way/noticing these things. I registered in 2002, and honestly, it seems like 1/4 - 1/3 of the comments these days seem to be stuck in that year for all the relevance they have to computing/gaming in 2016.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 23, 2016, 13:09 Scottish Martial Arts

Armengar wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 11:33:
Blame the laws not the outcome.

Well that's the thing: the law is completely ignorant of the technical factors involved. I doubt Apple would be objecting if they weren't seriously concerned that what's being asked of them could permanently damage the security of data stored on iOS devices. By analogy, the FBI has asked that Apple, in lieu of providing a key, damage the lock.

It's an open question whether what the FBI is asking Apple to do, i.e. create custom firmware that bypasses lockout and data-erasing mechanisms and successfully load it on to the suspect's phone, is actually possible. Frankly, only Apple's security engineering team knows the answer. Further, writing secure code is very difficult. Writing secure code is even more difficult when done under the exigency of time, with a court order breathing down your neck. Even if Apple can write the custom firmware that the FBI wants, there's no guarantee that it will be secure. If that firmware then gets out into the wild, the potential attack vectors that could be opened up are innumerable. As others have noted, the FBI has asked Apple to open Pandora's Box and merely hope that nothing unintended happens.

The question isn't the legality of the court order; it's whether or not one dead terrorist's phone is worth compromising the security of the world's most popular smart phone. The terrorist in question is dead; he's not going to shoot anymore people. Is his phone worth losing the assurance, for example, that you can safely do your banking on your phone? Is his phone worth compromising the privacy of political dissidents in countries like China or Russia? I tend to think not, but then I'm one of those wusses who thinks our (over)reactions to terrorist attacks are more destructive than terrorists themselves.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 15, 2016, 10:28 Scottish Martial Arts

Inexorable wrote on Feb 15, 2016, 09:59:
Except he is not being racist.

Except that he was. He was not speaking about people in their multitudes (white, black, green, purple, short, tall, etc.). He was talking about a specific racial group and was making specific negative generalizations about that group that are part of a history of negative generalizations that go back to chattel slavery. How do you think otherwise decent people were able to convince themselves that slavery was a morally defensible institution? Slave owners convinced themselves that the people in their thrall weren't fully people, that their slaves were less sensitive to pain, that they were more brutish and bestial in nature, and, yes, that they were less intelligent and less likely to rise to the demands of any task of the mind.

Whether Scalia realized it or not, he was tapping into specific historical racial stereotypes that have been and continue to be used to oppress a specific racial group. And he was using those same stereotypes to make the same characterization about the same group in order to end a program, however flawed, meant to address the social imbalance created by that historical, and indeed present day, oppression. Sound like racism to me, intentional or not.

2874 Comments. 144 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo