Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 2940 (Senior)
User ID 13410
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 22, 2016, 13:26 Scottish Martial Arts
Task wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 12:48:
Additionally the 'official' polling also does not include millennials for some dumb reason,

This is where I stopped and said "WTF". If you think there is such a thing as an "official" poll -- and that these are explicitly excluding a major demographic group -- as opposed to a myriad of polls conducted by a variety of organizations for any number of purposes, then you clearly are existing in another reality and can safely be ignored.

And the polling data that makes the news A) includes millenials, and B) shows that millenials are preferring third party candidates in much larger numbers than other demographic groups. Hell, there's been a lot of ink spilled in recent weeks about how millenials are the part of the Obama coalition that is missing from Clinton's base and which are most likely to be the determining factor if she loses. So what exactly is your complaint here other than that "the media" isn't pulling numbers out of its ass that are even more amenable to your argument, such as it is?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Blizzard Dropping Name
28. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 22, 2016, 11:49 Scottish Martial Arts
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 09:19:
Not quite sure what you are complaining about. People are criticizing Blizzard for making a meaningless, cosmetic change and treating it like a big press event. I don't think anyone thought the service was going away.

As someone said, this is mostly the CEO thinking he is doing something productive -- and even though he isn't I'm sure he will get credit for being productive garnering a bonus worth many millions...

Except it's not a big press event: it's a blog post that apparently people are reading too quickly and then getting upset about for little reason. I'm annoyed because people can't be bothered to read an (admittedly easy to misinterpret) blog post and just want to post knee-jerk reactions about how fucking terrible everything (nothing) is.

TYPICAL COMMENTS SECTION POSTER: "OMG Blizzard Tech is such a terrible fucking name. What assholes! I bet some greedy CEO is behind this!1!"

The problem is that has NOT been renamed as Blizzard tech. Instead, the technologies that compose their online backend are losing their discrete branding, and will instead just be referred to as Blizzard technologies, if they'll be referred to at all. This isn't renaming, this is unnaming.

Don't like "Blizzard tech"? Great! You'll probably never hear it except as an off-hand reference deep in an interview about backend technical improvements for a new game/major patch!

And to which CEO do you refer? I think it's fascinating that no one seems to say "Mike Morhaime", and instead references a more generic figure. Better, I suppose, to have someone faceless and only loosely identified when making absurd claims about bonus padding, or corruption by Activision, or [insert idiotic gamer complaint here]. Anyone that thinks a CEO of a company Blizzard's size did anything but sign off on it after scanning through an email on retiring branding doesn't have a clue how enterprise-scale businesses operate.
News Comments > Blizzard Dropping Name
16. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 21, 2016, 23:17 Scottish Martial Arts
I know most folks on Bluesnews can't be bothered to click a link before commenting, but can they at least be bothered to read the article blurb before commenting? technology will continue to serve as the central nervous system for Blizzard games—nothing is changing in that regard. We’ll just be referring to it as Blizzard tech instead.

Given that built-in multiplayer support is a well-understood concept and more of a normal expectation these days, there isn’t as much of a need to maintain a separate identity for what is essentially our networking technology.

Note that they refer to " technology" and how it will now be referred to as "Blizzard tech", i.e. their backend tech stack will no longer have its own branding. They're dropping the discrete branding for their backend tech stack, not rebranding as something else. If the backend tech stack needs to be referred to, it'll be referred to as "Blizzard tech", but not as part of an orchestrated branding effort for what in 2016 is just a standard part of an online game.

Reading is hard, I guess.

As for me, I'm sad to see the branding go -- I still remember getting my Diablo 1 box with the "Play Online with!" sticker in the corner -- but Blizzard is right: isn't a product differentiator like it was in 1996, it's just an expected part of a modern video game and doesn't need its own marketing push.

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2016, 23:32.
News Comments > Morning Mobilization
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 19, 2016, 17:28 Scottish Martial Arts
Beamer wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 16:05:
Ah, the border of the Village. I live in the West Village, and can give you a billion restaurant recommendations. The gentrification of the Village is real, but the place is still great with so many wonderful places around. You'll love it.

Nice! I may take you up on the restaurant recommendations at some point. I'm hoping to live within walking distance of work, so my apartment hunting will be concentrated in the West Village and Chelsea. The job doesn't start until March though, so I haven't gotten too serious about finding a place yet.
News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 19, 2016, 15:53 Scottish Martial Arts
Beamer wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 14:28:
Actually, someone just shared a tweet on my FB feed:

New York Fears Ranked:

1) pushed into subway tracks

2) Seamless outage

3) Have to go to Times Square

4) Favorite dive bar gentrified

1,563) ISIS

I'd also add in "no Ubers available" and "Uber Surge above 1.9x" to the top 10.

Heh, that's awesome.

And it sounds like we'll be living in the same neighborhood: I recently accepted a job located about 10 blocks south of where the bombing occurred.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 19, 2016, 15:49 Scottish Martial Arts
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 11:43:
Cutter wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 10:51:
You know, it's funny. Whenever I'm downtown I see the people lined up for the food bank they're all smoking. So they can afford $15 for a pack a day but not food? Yeah. Ok.

Well, you're right in a sense, but it's also hard as hell to quit smoking once you start. The more poor and less educated somebody is, the higher the chance (it seems at least) that they will smoke. A vicious little loop, of addiction, further poverty and weakened health, and lack of education. Obviously if nobody used tobacco products at all(dip is also a huge problem), humanity would be much better off, but it's not really reasonable to expect that or even feasible anytime soon.

The other two pieces of it are A) poverty is a continual cognitive drain that reduces your mental resources when making decisions, such as the decision to quit smoking and follow through on it, and B) poverty means constantly and continually having to tell yourself "no, I can't have it" with all the major things in life (like a car, a home, furthering your education, etc.) so at some point you have to say "yes" to some small things, like a cigarette or a hamburger at McDonald's.
News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 19, 2016, 14:32 Scottish Martial Arts
Timmeh wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 14:26:
The guy spent 4 months to engineer a clone nand unit in order to do brute force hacking...

If you don't think that level of work is worth a million bucks...

Not the FBI's or someone else who values their genius and hard work.

Yeah. I mean it should go without saying that the FBI (like the military, like the government in general) gets ripped off by contractors regularly, but time and expertise are certainly not free commodities.
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 16, 2016, 13:33 Scottish Martial Arts
Meh, perfectly happy with my Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals which I got 4 years or so ago. I also quite liked the AV8R joystick before I upgraded to Thrustmaster's Warthog HOTAS. Although in fairness, I think both are no longer being manufactured.  
News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 12, 2016, 00:52 Scottish Martial Arts
Squirmer wrote on Sep 12, 2016, 00:05:
Sounds pretty unambitious for a DX game. They usually have you deciding the fate of the world.

To a certain extent, you are. This game has a smaller scope than other Deus Ex games, if for no other reason than that 95% of it takes place entirely in one city. That said, without wanting to give away anything, the main character is immediately suspicious that the train station bombing is a false flag attack meant to force the passage of far reaching legislation at a newly empowered UN. You can probably guess what that means. At any rate, the game does a pretty good job of illustrating the global stakes involved, the actors involved behind the scenes, and how this game ties into both Human Revolution and Deus Ex 1, even if the plot revolves around investigating a single terrorist attack.
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 11, 2016, 15:29 Scottish Martial Arts
nin wrote on Sep 11, 2016, 14:59:
I shall not remain silent this day, no more

Congrats - you're asshole of the day!

Asshole is giving him too much credit. I'd go with pathetic cretin myself.
News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 11, 2016, 14:06 Scottish Martial Arts
Meh, to be honest I preferred the ending to this one over the ending to Human Revolution. Fallout-style recaps of your choices go a long way with me, much more so than rambling monologues over stock footage, neither of which having anything to do with the events of the game. The "to be continued" nature of the Mankind Divided ending is kind of disappointing though.  
News Comments > Evening Mobilization
26. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 8, 2016, 14:39 Scottish Martial Arts
SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 14:35:
They look kinda ridiculous too. Makes the person using them look like a cyborg or something.

Yeah, we finally seem to have shamed people into losing the Bluetooth headsets, and now Apple wants to bring them back in an arguably stupider form.
24. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 8, 2016, 14:32 Scottish Martial Arts
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 13:29:
Beamer wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 12:35:
SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 11:20:
I honestly think their move to remove the headphone jack had to do with a push towards wireless headphones than anything else.
I personally wouldn't buy the Apple wireless headphones, since there are many other far superior choices on the market for less $ like Jaybird X2 for example. Also wireless headphones aren't locked to Apple or Android phones, they are universal between platforms, regardless of the type of phone you're using.

I agree with you Beamer on not much benefit to the consumer with the 3.5mm audio jack removal, however since they include the adapter in the box I don't think it is such a huge deal either for people that wants to use their 3.5mm jack peripherals.

Steve Jobs once famously mocked wireless earphones as "yet another thing to charge."

Steve Jobs was hardly always right, but I'm with him on this. Another thing to charge, another thing to lose. Earphones now are great because I have one on my desk at work, one in my back pocket, one in my drawer, and another 3 at home. I'm rarely not near headphones. I live in a city and walk everywhere, so they come more in handy for me than someone not walking as much, but the disposable quality makes them desirable.

Not to mention, and while it will get better, Apple's headphones won't even last you a full coast-to-coast flight, though I wouldn't want earphones for that unless they're noise canceling (and those I want running on batteries, so I can hot swap [I seem to always hot swap on flights.])

Exactly. I have a pair of A-T ANC9s for serious listening, but several pairs of cheap wired earbuds (I prefer these which both fit well and have good sound for the price) since I lose/break them at least twice a year. At $15 I can afford to. At $150 I cannot. All are wired.

I've been wondering how the $150 wireless earbuds are supposed to actually stay in your ears if you use them while walking around town, out for a run, etc. With wired earbuds, when one falls out, it's still tethered to you. With wireless, if it falls out, you just have to hope it isn't damaged or lands some place inaccessible. Yay progress?
21. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 8, 2016, 11:59 Scottish Martial Arts
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 04:35:
Not sure I agree with "software development" as Visual Studio has long been the best IDE out there, but one thing Mac was superior at was graphic design. All of our graphic designers used Macs for decades. Windows versions are finally par, but 10 years ago, was not the case.

At one time that was probably true, but these days Visual Studio is generally regarded as bloated, slow, and too tightly tied to the Microsoft tech stack. If you hang around on places like Hacker News, Reddit, or other places where software engineers congregate, you tend to see the various Jetbrains IDEs come up as the "best IDEs ever".

The bigger issue though is that unless you are working on the Microsoft tech stack, Windows is a total pain in the ass. The Windows Subsystem for Linux might change that -- a new Windows 10 Anniversary update feature which converts POSIX system calls to calls to the NT kernel, while also supporting an Ubuntu-based bash shell and linux utilities -- but Unix has been pretty standard as the software development platform of choice for decades. For example, the C and C++ compiler in Visual Studio have a number of Microsoft-proprietary "extensions" that break ANSI/ISO standards compatibility; this issue doesn't come up often, but when it does, it completely bites you in the ass. Likewise, many software libraries either do not work, have subtle quirks that will cause problems, or are a pain in the ass to get working on Windows. It's not that Windows doesn't support software development, it's just that Microsoft has spent two decades trying to ensure that you develop software the Microsoft way, and hasn't been particularly interested in making developers life easier if they need something from a Unix-based platform. The result? Unless you specifically work with the Microsoft tech stack, life's just easier on Linux, Unix, and the Mac.

In fact, here's Google's advice for new hires on what kind of computer to select:

We have machines for OSX, Windows, Goobuntu (Google’s flavor of Linux) and ChromeOS. Your options for hardware won't be too robust but the hardware we provide our employees are usually more than adequate and either new or in like new condition. What you choose is dependent on personal preference. It would be a good idea to consider what your role is, for example, engineers tend to prefer Macs but those in finance tend to choose PCs for their superior excel capabilities.

Like I said, for certain industries, the advantages of the Mac have made it the platform of choice over Windows.
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 7, 2016, 23:10 Scottish Martial Arts
Cutter wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 21:55:
I'll never understand people who love Crapple.

Other OEMs have since caught up (mostly), but for a solid decade there, their laptops had build quality that was a clear step above. They also have always paid attention to things like battery life, screen quality, and the track pad. Also, for certain fields/industries like software development, the OS X/macOS platform offers clear advantages over Windows. In terms of performance per dollar, Macs are a clear loser, but the sorts of people that are most concerned with maximizing that ratio, e.g. gamers, aren't the target audience for Macs.
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 7, 2016, 23:05 Scottish Martial Arts
Pigeon wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 19:14:
Yes it takes a lot of courage to drop the 3.5mm port so you can push a pair of proprietary wireless ear buds for $159 that will likely sound no better than a pair you can get for $29.99 off Amazon. Yes courage, courage to be greedy as fuck.

Heh, I had the stream on in the background this morning -- on the off chance they announced the rumored new MacBook Pros -- and literally snorted coffee through my nose when he said the number one reason they were killing the headphone was "courage".
21. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 7, 2016, 18:21 Scottish Martial Arts
VaranDragon wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 18:15:

Yes, that ending is much better, or at least it's more satisfying.

Really? As I recall the ending was just three slightly different, rambling monologues over stock footage, none of which had anything to do with the events of the game. I'll take a "To be continued..." over a "fuck, we need to slap an ending together in 5 minutes", to be honest.
20. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 7, 2016, 18:17 Scottish Martial Arts
VaranDragon wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 11:50:
Just finished Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Seriously, the ending sucked balls. Felt like the game ended about 3/4 of the way through. Also the credits roll on for about 15 minutes and there is no way to stop them other than to CTRL+ALT+DEL and force the program to shut down...I mean they roll on so long that the ending "theme" song loops about 3 times...

Meh, it wasn't the best ending ever, but I've seen far worse. I liked that you get a recap of the decisions you made, and their impact. Plus, the final mission was super cool, the only game I can think of that convincingly portrays a frantic scramble to prevent a terrorist attack, and where a slip up on your end means having to choose between saving lives versus stopping a bad political outcome. The main story has definitely been left for DLC to finish though.
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 6, 2016, 12:38 Scottish Martial Arts
Cutter wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 11:58:
I just want to know when the AIB RX 480 cards will be here en masse! I need a new card!

Is there some reason to avoid the Geforce 10xx series that I'm unaware of? I got a 1070 about 6 weeks ago and it was probably the most dramatic performance increase I've ever gotten from a GPU upgrade (previous card was a R9 280X).
News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided DLC This Month
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 2, 2016, 13:30 Scottish Martial Arts
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 2, 2016, 13:15:
If the Illuminati are the circle of peeps we see throughout the game, but especially during the subspace communication hack then we already know at least 3 of their names... director of Manderly (FEMA), Bob Page (Picus) and whoever the boss of our boss in TF29 was.. I forgot who actually.. dang it.

Unless that was a giant red herring and I fell for it

Wait... have you actually never played the original Deus Ex? Or has it just been a long time and you've forgotten the character names?
2940 Comments. 147 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo