Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 3007 (Veteran)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 1, 2016, 23:10 Scottish Martial Arts

wtf_man wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 21:36:
The text may not look as crisp, but 4k on a 12-13 inch screen would mean a lot of text would be too tiny to read. (Thinking MMO chat boxes, here). You either have to increase the font size to not get much text int the box or increase both the text and the box to cover up too much screen.

You missed the part about scaling. The laptop I'm writing this post on has a native resolution of 2560 x 1600 but is currently displaying at 1440 x 900. Most hi-dpi laptop displays will look like 1440 x 900 or 1680 x 1050 or 1080p, but will use more pixels to render the image, resulting in a much smoother image, particularly where text is concerned. And given that computing involves looking at a lot of text, not having a hi-dpi display really sucks. It's really one of those things where you can never go back. I would not buy a 13" laptop with just a 1080p display.

As for ultrabooks with higher end GPUs, the challenge is that thinness and lightness are design considerations that are directly opposed to GPU performance, and the requisite cooling and power requirements. You stick a Geforce 10 in an ultrabook, and you're either going to have to get a thicker to support bigger fans and a larger battery, or you accept minimal battery life and a GPU that constantly throttles itself because of heat (not to mention your lap is going to be very toasty). I'd love to see a Geforce 10 equipped ultrabook as well, but the likelihood of a laptop being thin, light, with a long battery life, AND to have good GPU performance isn't great.

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2016, 23:17.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 1, 2016, 19:51 Scottish Martial Arts

wtf_man wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 15:12:

Call me when there is a light ultrabook thin version with a 1060 or better... ...and 1080p is fine for 12-13 inches of display.

Not really, at least not in comparison to modern hi-dpi displays. Once your eyes get used to a high pixel density scaled display, it gets really, really tough to go back to plain 1080p. Text in particular looks particularly rough on 1080p in comparison to displays with 200+ pixels per inch.

News Comments > Origin Coming Back to Myanmar
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 31, 2016, 11:24 Scottish Martial Arts

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 10:52:
You will have to buy back all of your games, a minor inconvenience.
May you or your loved ones not be disappeared.

You're aware that your argument can be used to dismiss literally any problem, right? "Why are you upset about whether Myanmar gets Origin? Shouldn't you be planning for retirement?" Everyone always's has a bigger problem, but that doesn't mean the current one doesn't deserve to be addressed.

News Comments > THQ Nordic Acquires NovaLogic Franchises
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 31, 2016, 11:21 Scottish Martial Arts

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 11:16:
Played a fuck ton of the first Delta Force back in the day on dial-up. Was blown away with how open the maps were and how great it looked.

Them voxels!

Same. Delta Force 2 was a favorite of mine, circa 1999.

News Comments > Skyrim Special Edition Audio Fix Coming
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 31, 2016, 11:20 Scottish Martial Arts

nin wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 11:07:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 11:03:
Beyond the upgraded graphics fx and 64 bit exe, there is NO REASON at all to play this.

Besides it being an awesome game, with so much content that it encourages replays.

It's still a good game, but you have to admit that the utter lack of new features and content makes it less interesting of a refresh than it could have been. While the graphic upgrades can look good, the game is also entirely capable of being indistinguishable from the original, particularly when in-doors. All they had to do was add another Dawnguard style DLC to it, i.e. new quests without a new land-mass, and it would have been a major release. But with just inconsistent graphics upgrades? I already have 300 hours in that game, and I'm not sure how many more I want to invest.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 30, 2016, 19:55 Scottish Martial Arts

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 18:58:
Favorite post,

Pro is short for Profit, not professional.

Only if the only professionals we're talking about are pro gamers.

If your field requires a high-end Unix workstation, the Mac has been your go-to for over a decade. When you're talking about the tool which makes you money, and which you spend 40-60 hours working on per week, a high up front cost that makes gamers balk is relatively unimportant. Unfortunately, for those of who use a Mac as our professional tool, Apple's dominance in this particular niche may be coming to an end, and there's no obvious replacement.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 30, 2016, 17:35 Scottish Martial Arts

Pr()ZaC wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 17:12:
I guess the 16GB limit will upset a very small percentage of users. We're talking about a mobile PC.
If you want to play with the bigger kids, get yourself a desktop and stop bitching.

I agree but the problem is that traditionally the MacBook Pro has been a mobile desktop for software developers and creative designers, whereas the MacBook and MacBook Air have focused on portability. By not having enough RAM to be reasonably future proofed for the next 3ish years (the length of an AppleCare service contract), Apple isn't serving the needs of the developers and designers who do professional (hence the "Pro" in "MacBook Pro") work on their systems. While I love my existing MBP, I have run into the limits of the hardware when running VMs and device simulators, and unfortunately the newest MBP won't do much to address that. This all would be less of an issue if the desktop Mac Pro had also gotten an upgrade, but it didn't: it is unchanged since it's 2013 redesign, with no hardware refresh in three years. If you need a very high end workstation -- whether semi-portable or stationary -- then Apple's current lineup leaves a lot to be desired, even if you don't care about the price tag.

The more time I've had to think about the new MBPs the more disappointed I am, and the more I'm realizing I'll need to wait for announcements for the rest of the lineup before making a decision on what, if anything, to upgrade to. Note that I say all of this with my software engineer hat on, and not my PC gamer hat; if the latter was the only thing that mattered to me, then this would obviously be a moot point.

21. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 18:22 Scottish Martial Arts

descender wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 16:29:
The only argument that holds water for buying a Mac, IMO, is that you use a piece of software that only exists and runs on IOS.

iOS software doesn't run on OS X/macOS, although most OS X software has an iOS version, and vice-versa, both of which can talk to each other, synchronize data, and offer seamless transitions between devices.

At any rate, while the 90s PC gaming scene taught us to think that software availability on the Mac was garbage, the truth is for non-gaming software, the Mac in 2016 has a very vibrant ecosystem, with the standout programs often unavailable on the PC. To your point, choosing to use a Mac because of the software available for it is a pretty compelling argument.

At any rate, the key problems with the Mac, as I see them, are the price, and the user-hostile stuff like lack of ports and lack of upgradeability. To be honest though, the latter ends up being a non-issue: Apple devices hold their value so well that when you resell your old device, the new one ends up only costing as much as a bigger upgrade. For example, the 13" MBP I'm looking at upgrading currently has a resell value of $1000-$1200 on eBay. In contrast, I've never successfully resold PC components because they definitely do not hold their value.

But aside from price, I generally vastly prefer my Mac, and only fire up the PC for gaming.

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 14:20 Scottish Martial Arts

Nullity wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 14:16:
snip

True, although Linux isn't without it's drawbacks. I mean ffs, getting a printer working with Linux is frequently an exercise in despair. For software development, Linux is superb, but when it comes to say, using peripherals or running commercial software like Photoshop, you're often in for an extra hour or two of fucking around. FWIW, I used Ubuntu on my dev system prior to getting my Mac a few years ago.

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 14:14 Scottish Martial Arts

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 13:53:
snip

Agreed, with a stronger emphasis on the Unix development environment. A large number of software development packages and libraries have portability issues on Windows. (While I'm not a Ruby developer, I double dog dare you to get a Ruby on Rails development environment going on Windows.) The best tools are written for *nix first, and Windows second, if at all. It just quickly becomes a pain in the ass to get work done on Windows. Unix, after all, was written to be easy to develop software on. So if Windows is out -- except for Windows application development obviously -- then you can run either Linux or you can get a Mac. The vast majority of software engineers go the latter route, and I certainly don't regret my decision to do the same, even if the up front cost of hardware can sometimes induce a nosebleed.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 13:45 Scottish Martial Arts

Well in fairness, it's a cable not a dongle. Still, the move to all USB-C feels way too soon.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 27, 2016, 23:02 Scottish Martial Arts

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 22:24:
I have no desire to upgrade my 2014 mbPro any time soon, but damn Apple screwed us VI users by getting rid of the ESC key. I'm going to have to do some key remapping to fix this cluster fuck if I ever get one of these.

If you do go for one of the new ones, remap your CAPSLOCK key to ESC. I've been doing that for vim editing for a couple years now and haven't looked back. What initially prompted the remap was learning that the terminal Bill Joy designed vi for had it's ESC key where the Tab key is on most modern keyboards; a remapped CAPSLOCK key is closer to the intent of how modal editing was supposed to work than the position the modern ESC key affords. With CAPSLOCK remapped to ESC, switching modes is faster and requires less dexterity with my pinkie.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 27, 2016, 21:44 Scottish Martial Arts

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 20:04:
Those Apple prices must be for the tricked out SLI CrossFired gaming versions, how much for just a normal Apple laptop that runs windows.

Of the new ones? $1500 starting price. The fully tricked out 15" definitely has some of the highest specs available in a laptop today but the price is pretty jaw dropping. I was looking at upgrading, but it's tough to pull the trigger on a $3500 purchase. I can try to justify it as "I'm a software engineer and I'm investing in a tool of my profession", but I was hoping to have that conversation with myself for about $1000 less than this. D:

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 27, 2016, 18:50 Scottish Martial Arts

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 11:49:
I never understood the idea behind Mad Men. It might have been critically acclaimed, but it still tried to glorify a stupid drug dealer. I don't watch such trash.

You're referring to Breaking Bad, presumably. The drug dealer in question wasn't stupid, but he was prideful. And you know what they say goes before a fall...

Frankly, only a stupid person would interpret Breaking Bad as a glorification of drug dealing. An otherwise decent man destroys himself and his family because he was too proud to accept that by middle age his dreams of youth hadn't come to fruition? Yeah, that totally sounds like glorification.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 26, 2016, 18:55 Scottish Martial Arts

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 26, 2016, 18:41:
Here it is... omg such a reinvention. I haven't seen anything like this since Little Nicky transformed a Coke into a Pepsi.

https://i.gyazo.com/1c67b5963c6c79531497d9ca2d35f3cc.png

The hinge swings down, allowing the person to use it as a stylus tablet. For CAD and graphics applications this is fairly significant: what was once an awkward setup wherein you drew on a peripheral tablet while watching the monitor is now an integrated system wherein your PC becomes a drafting table on demand. I have no need or desire for something like this, but for the target users, this is a clear step up over the iMacs most of them are currently using.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 26, 2016, 18:02 Scottish Martial Arts

WaltC wrote on Oct 26, 2016, 15:30:
The desktop PC (I don't mean laptops, "hybrids" or other battery-powered abominations) is by far the best value going for consumers because (a decent) desktop is user upgradable and user-serviceable.

Except that users by and large don't want user-upgradeable and user-servicable. They want something that they can use while sitting on the couch or while on their commute. While not comparable to a modern desktop, a modern laptop has more than enough horsepower to serve the use of anyone who isn't a hardcore gamer or graphics/video editor. Amazingly, most people don't like sitting at a desk unless they have to.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 23, 2016, 23:46 Scottish Martial Arts

ShakaUVM wrote on Oct 23, 2016, 21:50:
It's different enough to be justified in calling it a new game.

I suppose. I didn't spend enough time playing it to get into the nitty gritty details of how it differs, of which I'm sure there are plenty. My first impression however was that this was a new art style, a reskinned UI, reworked civics, and reworked city building, i.e. districts and builders. Everything else felt like tweaks around the margins, and as I was getting close to that 2 hour mark, I realized I wasn't comfortable dropping 60 bucks on this.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 23, 2016, 18:36 Scottish Martial Arts

I bought, and then returned, Civ 6. Too much like Civ 5 to be worth the full asking price. All other Civ games felt meaningfully different from their predecessors, whereas this one felt like a Civ 5 expansion pack. A meaty expansion pack, but an expansion pack nonetheless, and I can't justify $60 for a game I already own.  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI Released
23. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2016, 10:40 Scottish Martial Arts

MattyC wrote on Oct 22, 2016, 05:39:
I have never missed any part of the series other than BE.

Sounds like you didn't miss anything then.

I must admit, the bad taste left over from BE is the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on buying this. BE was *so* bad that's hard to imagine this being worthwhile at launch, even if the general impression seems to be "yes, it is."

Help!

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Released
50. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2016, 10:17 Scottish Martial Arts

Slick wrote on Oct 22, 2016, 02:23:
Also, I fly totally with KB+M, some pros use the keyboard, but they switch to the mouse for actually shooting, you can't accurately track and lead with a joystick or def not with the keyboard compared to a mouse, it's just the most direct input on offer.

Hmm, see that's kind of interesting because with flight simming, one of the first things you learn about employing guns is that you fly your airplane so that the enemy flies into your crosshairs, as opposed to flying your crosshairs onto the enemy. Typically, that means developing a certain rate of turn and holding it for long enough that everything lines up and you can get off a solid burst. For that kind of sustained, measured control, I've never found anything to better than a joystick.

Sorry, not meaning to be contrarian here. I just find it interesting that a control scheme that absolutely would not work in, say, DCS, is by far the best way to play in Battlefield these days. Particularly because in the Battlefield 1942/Battlefield 2 days, my old logitech joystick was a huge asset to flying the planes and helicopters.

3007 Comments. 151 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo