Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 2880 (Senior)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 12, 2016, 20:53 Scottish Martial Arts

TangledThorns wrote on Jun 12, 2016, 19:14:

Keeping you up to current events as ISIS did claim responsibility!

And where is that being reported? Scanning the headlines, all I'm seeing is that the shooter called 911 immediately prior to the attack to proclaim loyalty to ISIS. It should go without saying that you do not actually have to have been recruited/trained/equipped/coordinated by anyone to make such a phone call.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On DOOM Multiplayer
24. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 9, 2016, 15:31 Scottish Martial Arts

ASLayerAODsk wrote on Jun 9, 2016, 14:57:
that, and they think they are doing US a favour by making anything 'free'. sigh these guys are so pompous and overbloated and thankless to those that have purchased their product, but its a sign of the industry, so many sheeple out there that allow this to happen, and blah. Just sad.

My pity is reserved for those who use the word "sheeple" without irony.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 8, 2016, 13:02 Scottish Martial Arts

Blue wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 12:39:
Beamer wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 11:28:
We don't have substitutes for smartphones.

We don't need any, we already all have smartphones, which is why their growth is falling off. For the smartphone industry to sustain the way it's operated in the past we'd need to find an undiscovered continent/planet of new potential customers.

I suspect though that smartphone will reach an equilibrium/maintenance volume quite a bit higher than for PCs, simply because smartphones experience a lot more wear and tear. Smartphones get dropped, get lost, get stolen, have their batteries wear out, etc.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2016, 15:20 Scottish Martial Arts

Task wrote on Jun 4, 2016, 13:35:
I like how that article claims Battlefront3 was a 'big big hit' and links to a gamespot article as 'evidence.'

Which links to an announcement by EA. Whether EA's announcement is true or not, it's pretty standard practice for news sites to link to prior reporting in a follow-on or related story. It's almost like they want you to read their content and stay on the site longer.

News Comments > The Sims 4 Expands Gender Options
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 3, 2016, 00:54 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Jun 2, 2016, 22:14:
You can't change your chromosomes no matter how much you may want to.

Life of Brian - I want to be a woman

How much do chromosomes really matter though -- beyond reproduction -- when we assess male-ness or female-ness?

Whenever I see strangers in public, my brain is constantly sorting them as male or female, without even thinking about it. Yet I've never once needed to ask for chromosomal verification in order to make that assessment and classification. Given that something like 1 in 200 people have some sort of chromosomal abnormality, it seems rather specious to insist the chromosomes determine our perception of gender. Hell, unless you've had children, or have had some sort of testing done, you can only make assumptions about what your own chromosomes actually look like. (They're probably normal, but maybe you're that 1 in 200.)

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Mobilization May 29, 2016, 18:19 Scottish Martial Arts

jdreyer wrote on May 29, 2016, 15:25:
All I was pointing out is that the sun is a poor analogy due to exposure levels. I don't worry about it too much (although my EM meter picks up emissions from my PC and laptop) but I don't think there have been any studies for decades-long low-level EM exposure, have there?

Your PC and laptop gives off EM emissions because they are electrical devices and one of the products of electromagnetic induction (the mechanism by which voltage travels across a conductor) is low-frequency EM emission. While granting that there may be things we don't know about or don't understand, everything which we are quite certain is true about electromagnetism, EM radiation, and radiation poisoning, suggests that it is impossible for such low-frequency emissions to cause radiation poisioning. Put another way, the EM emissions from electronic devices do not have enough energy to actually knock electrons off the atoms composing your body (the primary cause of cellular damage from radiation poisoning). So basically where this leaves us is that unless our understanding of physics is fundamentally wrong, then any as of yet undiscovered harmful effects from the EM radiation produced by electronic devices cannot be very significant, if they even exist at all, and would pale in comparison to the EM radiation which human beings have absorbed from sunlight for as long as our species has existed.

12. Re: Morning Mobilization May 29, 2016, 18:02 Scottish Martial Arts

eRe4s3r wrote on May 29, 2016, 13:35:
Uh, I am talking about problems with WIFI / Bluetooth / USB .. not human tissue (which you apparently read out of nowhere into my comment).

Here's what you said, with emphasis added:

Yuo know why certain elements of desktop PC cases are made of heavy materials? To shield you and every other attached device from all the EM emissions crap your PC gives off.

Saying that "you" need shielding from "EM emissions crap", implies that there is something bad you need to be protected from. If you just meant EM interference with electrical devices, then fair enough (although in most cases that's fairly easily mitigated). But based upon the words you actually wrote, there was a pretty clear implication that we need to be shielded from the low-frequency EM emissions produced by household electronics, a claim which contradicts everything we know about physics and is usually only made on fringe blogs with an affinity for all-caps and exclamation points.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization May 29, 2016, 00:47 Scottish Martial Arts

eRe4s3r wrote on May 28, 2016, 22:23:
To shield you and every other attached device from all the EM emissions crap your PC gives off.

You're aware that the EM radiation produced by electronic devices doesn't have a short enough wavelength to have an ionizing effect on human tissue, right? Sunlight is far, far, far more damaging than anything your computer could ever hope to produce. People hear radiation but apparently don't understand that not all radiation is a gamma ray.

To argue that the EM radiation put out by the electronics in your home requires special shielding to protect human health is essentially to argue that everything we know about Physics and Biology is wrong. It's not impossible that there are factors we simply don't know about, but that's a very different claim from asserting harms that the corpus of scientific knowledge contradicts and precludes.

This comment was edited on May 29, 2016, 01:01.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization May 29, 2016, 00:42 Scottish Martial Arts

MajorD wrote on May 28, 2016, 20:51:
These writers always seem to be in a hurry to paint a bad picture on anything Microsoft related.

The author was mostly positive on the Windows Phone platform itself, and seemed rather glum about the missed opportunities that doomed it...

News Comments > Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Free Weekend
12. Re: Morning Mobilization May 27, 2016, 19:49 Scottish Martial Arts

SpectralMeat wrote on May 27, 2016, 08:07:
Why don't they end these on Monday at 1PM when the week long deals or whatever takes over is beyond stupid.

Because as I noted above, the point of the free weekend isn't to reward you for using Steam, but to convince you to buy a game you otherwise wouldn't buy. If the free weekend ended at midnight right before Monday morning, you'd likely say "well that was fun, but it's time to get to bed before work, and I don't want to buy this right now if I'm not going to have time to play it until next weekend." When it ends at 1pm on Sunday, when you still have plenty of time to play, you're much more likely to buy the game to keep playing.

I'm not saying this is "right" or anything, but I would think it would be pretty transparent why it ends at 1pm on Sunday; it's because they want you to actually buy the game, not just play the free weekend and never look back.

News Comments > Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Free Weekend
7. Re: Morning Mobilization May 26, 2016, 23:13 Scottish Martial Arts

Ant wrote on May 26, 2016, 21:49:
\Dude, what about the 11 hours left of the weekend?

That's to inspire you to hit buy while you still have weekend in which to play it.

Agreed, on mixing up or extending the free play times though.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Morning Mobilization May 19, 2016, 19:12 Scottish Martial Arts

Ozmodan wrote on May 19, 2016, 01:23:
Well let's see, it sure beats watching such garbage on the TV like Survivor, The Bachelor, The Voice, ad infinitum.....or most of the sitcoms of which few are actually funny.....

Why is it when a video gamer feels threatened regarding the maturity of his preferred entertainment, he invariably cites the worst stuff on television? Yes, reality TV is terrible, but for the past decade, there has been a remarkable flourishing of incredibly well-made, intelligent, and thematically-rich television shows, primarily on cable, but increasingly on streaming services as well. The question isn't why one would prefer video games to Keeping Up With the Kardashians, it's why one would prefer video games to The Wire, Breaking Bad, or (the first season of) True Detective.

Frankly, the "all entertainment has no value beyond entertainment and therefore is inherently equal" crowd shows every sign of never having understood a book, or any narrative medium, beyond the surface level. Burying a Baron of Hell's torn-off horn into his face is meaningless beyond the entertaining shock value; the parallel ass-chewings of Jimmy McNulty and D'Angelo Barksdale in the pilot of The Wire has quite a bit to say beyond the first act plot setup it performs.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2016, 19:21.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Mobilization May 16, 2016, 16:29 Scottish Martial Arts

CJ_Parker wrote on May 16, 2016, 15:34:
The release is on May 27th, dude, not next week.

The 27th is Friday of next week. Calendars, how do they work?

News Comments > DOOM Released
140. Re: Morning Mobilization May 15, 2016, 03:43 Scottish Martial Arts

Sepharo wrote on May 15, 2016, 02:32:
From the video's description:
"This gameplay is from a PC running Vulkan on a Titan X at 120 FOV - with the player's personal upgrades and rune perks set for advanced speed and movement capabilities."

It'd be a little more fair to compare the newest Halo to Doom without the speed upgrades and with an equivalent FOV.

To be honest, I didn't read the video description. While I noticed the double jump (an upgrade I haven't gotten yet), the movement speed looks like what I'm seeing. I haven't played the most recent Halo, or any of them after the second one, but I did play the first one extensively and have a pretty good memory of it. Maybe Halo 3-5 were dramatically faster than the first two, but frankly comparing the newest Doom to Halo 1/2 on the basis of player movement speed and mobility is absurd; it's difficult to imagine them being further apart from each other on this point.

137. Re: Morning Mobilization May 15, 2016, 01:02 Scottish Martial Arts

ItBurn wrote on May 14, 2016, 20:40:

Edit: with that said, if you like the gameplay and speed of Halo with the unlocks and loadouts of Call of Duty, you'll enjoy this. It's mostly bland though.

This is how "fast" Halo was: https://youtu.be/z1c7eEW8cMQ?t=4m55s

And for contrast, this is Doom: https://youtu.be/anrvBD4aTGY

Am I missing something here? Did I and Nvidia get a special, extra fast version of Doom or something? Because Halo looks completely glacial compared to what I've been playing this evening.

This comment was edited on May 15, 2016, 01:13.

67. Re: Morning Mobilization May 13, 2016, 16:56 Scottish Martial Arts

rudra wrote on May 13, 2016, 16:52:

yeh no shit

might want to save your breath the dude is a fucking retard

Oh no, I got called a fucking retard by someone who is unfamiliar with punctuation! What ever shall I do?

66. Re: Morning Mobilization May 13, 2016, 16:55 Scottish Martial Arts

Xero wrote on May 13, 2016, 16:38:
Were not talking about jacking a Porsche here. Paying 60 vs paying let's say 20 or 30 is a big difference when you see what you can buy at a lower income with that 30 or 40 your saving. Food, gas, a utility bill.

I didn't say 30 or 40 dollars is small change to everyone. I'm well aware of what a difference that makes in many household budgets. My point was that if you only have $20 to spend a video game, it is entirely possible to find video games to play that only cost $20. Conversely, there is no law of nature which prevents us from saving up for the new game while we replay games we already own.

You can do whatever you want with your gaming budget, and I don't have any moral objection to patronizing a grey market seller, nor am I trying to judge you or anyone else who pirates software or goes to the grey market. What I found absurd was the notion that because you want something, nothing should exclude you from having it; I'm not sure the world has ever worked that way.

53. Re: Morning Mobilization May 13, 2016, 15:56 Scottish Martial Arts

Xero wrote on May 13, 2016, 13:03:
While I have disposable income these days, I still can't justify the high prices at times when I have other priorities to pay for such as I don't know... RENT, car payment, student loan, electric, phone, FOOD, etc. It makes it hard at times to include full priced games, but it's what I enjoy. Gaming. Does that mean I should be excluded because I can't afford to pay full price at times?

I wasn't aware we were all entitled to the luxury items that we want regardless of our ability to pay. I should try that tactic when I replace my car in a few years and see if I can leverage my used Corolla budget to get a new Porsche.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Morning Mobilization May 13, 2016, 12:31 Scottish Martial Arts

Kxmode wrote on May 13, 2016, 11:48:
No. Just amazed a serious bidder would write that given the item in question.

Whether you think Zimmerman committed a crime or not, anyone that looks on that particular moment in American history as something worthy of a one-of-a-kind souvenir is seriously fucked in the head.

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Morning Mobilization May 10, 2016, 01:56 Scottish Martial Arts

Scud wrote on May 10, 2016, 00:58:
As for Mashiki Amiketo's posts in the link you provided, I didn't see anything in them that even stated what his (her?) specific preferences were. There was nothing there that I perceived as especially misogynistic, engaging in rape fantasies is not necessarily an expression of a desire to engage in actual rape. But many people have a hard time separating that from their emotional gut reaction to anything even near the subject.

No he didn't say outright "I play rape games", but he did get extraordinarily angry at the UN's suggestion that maybe these sorts of games should be discouraged. I poked fun at him and then he exploded to the point of incoherence. Honestly, at the time I expected him to catch the absurdity in loudly defending rape games -- even if you like them, anyone with a hint of self awareness isn't going to publicly defend them, for obvious reasons -- and make a joke in response or rib me back. Instead he went on a rant about how rape games are good for women because there are some women who make video games, and if you attack rape games you attack the whole game industry and that hurts women's employment, and besides anyone who would want to restrict them is a fascist, and so on. Whether he plays them or not, and whether he fantasizes about raping women or not, there's something about expressing disapproval about rape as a source of sexual gratification which causes him to get angry, defensive, and to go off the handle. Couple that with his comments in this thread, in which he showed some pretty palpable resentment towards women, and a pattern begins to emerge.

You're right that fantasies are one thing, and actual behavior is another, but if the person's behavior shows misogynistic attitudes, as it does in this thread, then sexually violent fantasizing starts to look more suspicious. It's impossible to sort out which influences which -- does a dude fantasize about rape because he resents women, or does he resent women because he fantasizes about rape? -- but when they exist in tandem, alongside loyal support for a "movement" which has not unfairly been criticized for engaging in misogynistic harassment, then it becomes a lot harder to ignore. Again, to review, Mashiki: A) gets angry and defensive when rape as masturbatory entertainment is attacked, B) makes resentful, negative generalizations about women, and C) loudly supports a group of which at least some subset has engaged in pretty disgusting and uncalled for harassment of women. You can draw what conclusions you want from that, but if you missed the thread in which A occurred, then B and C might have less salience than otherwise justified, which is the whole reason I brought it up.

2880 Comments. 144 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo