Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 3007 (Veteran)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 11, 2016, 16:03 Scottish Martial Arts

unfortunately wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 15:38:
here we see some of the usual self-proclaimed continue to ply their failed pol narratives. keep that evidence of your disconnect flowing. your miserable self-aggrandizing projections make the grass grow.

You know, if you want to counter the coastal liberal elite impression that Trump supporters are morons worthy of disdain, it helps to capitalize your sentences. Sorry to break the news, but Trump isn't going to make your shitty life great again, and if you were hoping to send a message to the part of the country that rightfully looks down on you, you've only cemented their contempt in perpetuity. The present and future have left you behind for good, and your beloved leader's transition team decisions are making it clearer by the hour that you fell for his con. Enjoy Trump: he's exactly the leader you deserve.

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2016, 16:23.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 11, 2016, 12:07 Scottish Martial Arts

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 11:38:
From that, the recalling of CA National Guard enlistment bonuses and VA funding cuts, it's a national disgrace. I recommend that kids these days stay far away from military service.

That and being in an indefinite state of war for 15+ years while the rest of the country has moved on and stopped paying attention. Saying "Thank you for your service" at a sporting event has taken the place of any serious engagement with questions of war, peace, and how we run the military. Likewise, in the post 9/11 era we've lost all ability to be critical of the military and military policy, presumably out of shame for not serving and not paying attention. The military is a great institution in many ways, but it is still composed of (mostly) well-intentioned yet flawed human beings, who neither deserve nor want to be treated like super heroes. If we don't acknowledge that the military is capable of making mistakes or underperforming, we preclude the possibility of improvement, and we say that it's okay for a 19 year old to die for the sake of an ineffective Afghanistan strategy. And that's a disservice that no amount of reflexive "thank you's" can fix.

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 11, 2016, 11:56 Scottish Martial Arts

Necrophob wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 09:34:
Wishful thinking. They're gonna get some mileage out of the "Thanks Obama..." meme for a long time. Mark my words, they'll say something like "it will take a long time to get us out of the mess that Obama created". Oh, and as for 2018, there are 6 democratic seats up for re-election...in red states.

I'd characterize it as optimistic thinking rather than wishful. Certainly, things are going to get a lot worse before they get better, but I have doubts about getting mileage out of blaming Obama. Consider that A) in comparison to 2009, things aren't bad at all, B) the GOP Congressional agenda is so extreme (look up Ryan's "Better Way") and so contrary to what Trump voters thought they were voting for, and C) Trump is so out of his depth that he will crack, badly, at his first crisis in office. As for the Senate seats located in red states, the cohort of Senate seats that are up in 2018 are the exact same seats that were up in 2006, when Democrats took decisive majorities in both chambers, and in 2012 when they gained Senate seats over all. That's not to say the Dems have an easy task ahead, just that there is recent precedent for them pulling it off.

Politics is cyclical, and just as the country started moving away from the GOP in 2005 -- following the Bush administration push to privatize Social Security (an item on the Ryan agenda!) and the Katrina debacle -- eventually culminating in the election of Obama, so has the country gradually been shifting away from the Dems since the Obamacare debate, culminating now in the election of Trump. The GOP is at it's zenith right now, and there's no where for them to go but down. The question is what they're able to smash to pieces with bad policy and governance along the way.

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 10, 2016, 20:38 Scottish Martial Arts

The thing I'm taking solace in at this point is that since the GOP will control all three branches of government, they will be 100% responsible for their actions. That means that if and when they take regulatory and legislative action that actively fucks citizens and consumers, there will be no one to blame but the GOP. Governing parties always lose seats in midterms, and if the GOP follows through on their stated agenda, they will quickly find themselves in the minority. The only question is how much of the damage they inflict will be reversible, such as common carrier classification, versus irreversible, such as abandoning NATO.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 10, 2016, 15:47 Scottish Martial Arts

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 15:35:
If we're going for authenticity then the games should start randomly becoming garbled at some point until you restart it enough times. Just don't blow on it.

Lies. Everyone knows the best way to get it to work is to stick the cartridge under your t-shirt and then to blow on it.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 10, 2016, 15:03 Scottish Martial Arts

Do we know it's a one-off though? I mean, why wouldn't they make, for example, an NES Classic Action Edition, SNES Classic Edition, SNES Classic RPG Edition, etc.? Granted there's redundancy in having multiple physical devices, but when those devices are only $60 and literally fit in the palm of your hand, the idea of having several of the things, while not my first choice, isn't unappealing either. I guess I'm enthused enough about getting one of these things, that I'm willing to overlook the shortcomings, and am looking forward to more.  

105. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 9, 2016, 21:54 Scottish Martial Arts

DangerDog wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 21:52:

That's the spirit, who needs healthcare just die already.

Nah, those of us who aren't yet fading into the past will have a lot of work to do cleaning up after your twilit temper-tantrum first.

103. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 9, 2016, 21:49 Scottish Martial Arts

DangerDog wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 21:20:
Move to Colorado, they just voted in assisted suicide.

Fortunately, as a Trump supporter, you don't need the government's permission: alcohol poisoning and opioid overdoses will see things through for you on their own. Rising death rates due to suicide and drug overdose among middle-aged whites can't increase fast enough.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 9, 2016, 21:37 Scottish Martial Arts

Muscular Beaver wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 20:53:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 19:40:
Russian Hackers Will Try to Impact More Elections After Trump's Win.

Lovely.
Haha, yeah, since its the bad Russians who are to blame, instead of the people exposed in those hacks.
If we, as so called democratic and free countries, need god damn Russians (!!!) to get the truth to the public, the problem is our system.

Killing the messenger has become trend again lately. Also shows where were really headed.

I would response but it would be a waste of my time. Suffice to say I think you are absurd. On multiple levels. Feel free to call me a sheeple, or whatever the preferred tagline is for people who aren't moronic enough to take RT at face value.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
17. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 9, 2016, 21:03 Scottish Martial Arts

Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 14:58:
Net neutrality is done. The second Trump replaces Wheeler, it's over.

Look forward to getting 50GB caps for your $100 monthly internet fees, broadband being classified as 128kbps, and every single byte of traffic not owned by your ISP being charged with a dollar overage fee. Yay.

Oh, and here comes Wells Fargo for your money again, because after all, those banking regulations we got after 2008 clearly need to go. They are hurting America after all...

This. The policy implications of this election are pretty grotesque, and I doubt even a fraction of voters had them on their mind when casting the ballot: the campaign was purely about the character of the candidates, with barely a whiff of the profound policy differences between them.

My parents voted Trump apparently -- the only Trump voters I know -- and in talking with them this morning, it quickly became apparent that it hadn't occurred to either of them that Trump being elected -> ObamaCare being repealed -> them being uninsurable due to preexisting conditions and being on the individual insurance market. At best they're looking at returning to their pre-ObamaCare ~$2400/mo premiums, which they can't afford. Toss in Paul Ryan's plan to voucherize Medicare, and they can't even count on Medicare when they hit (the now soon-to-be-raised) eligibility age. They fucked themselves without realizing it.

I'm concerned that will end up being the story of the country writ large, and sadly all we can do is hope that Trump and the GOP don't govern as awfully as they have promised.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 9, 2016, 20:50 Scottish Martial Arts

It's concerning when you're global allies greet an election result with shock and horror, while your global adversaries greet it with delight and congratulations to the victor.  

23. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 8, 2016, 14:13 Scottish Martial Arts

This was my first time voting in-person since... the 2004 election? Can't remember. I had been doing the absentee ballot thing the last several elections, but after moving two years ago, had never gotten around to requesting permanent absentee status with my new voter registration. My polling place had a short-line that was moving fairly quickly; in and out in about 10 minutes.  

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 8, 2016, 12:56 Scottish Martial Arts

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 8, 2016, 12:33:
Indeed Verno. Unless both houses of Congress and the Presidency is held by the same party, it is likely we will see a continuation of obstructionism. And even then, filibuster rules in the Senate are such that barring a solid 60 vote block, neither party will be able to accomplish much.

If the Democrats take the Senate and the Republicans follow through on their promise not to consider any Clinton Supreme Court nominees, then in all likelihood there will be a rule change ending the filibuster. It's just a parliamentary rule and is subject to any changes of rules of order by the Senate majority. What has kept the filibuster alive in the past was respect for the precedent of a long-standing rule, but then it would be pretty unprecedented for a minority party which loses an election to refuse to consider any nominee, no matter how moderate or qualified.

Any sort of Clinton legislative agenda however is dead in the water, since the Comey letter effectively killed Democratic chances for retaking the House. That said, if everything goes right for Trump today, he could still win this thing and we can all enjoy our future of authoritarian white nationalism, unimpeded by a cowed and ineffective Republican Congressional majority.

26. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 7, 2016, 21:04 Scottish Martial Arts

descender wrote on Nov 7, 2016, 20:00:
Most drivers are overly sure of their own ability and awareness until they are actually in an accident. It has basically been proven that humans can't actually do 2 activities at the same time at full mental capacity (multitask) and we are limited to our 5 senses and their ability to perceive the world. There is not too much that a human can actually do better than a machine anymore.

I agree that 10 years might be optimistic, but 20 probably isn't. I definitely agree that corporately or (hopefully) federally owned fleets of automated cars will be the way of it. It has to be that sort of controlled system so that it all works together properly.

The automation of society is going to force us to change the way everything works, top to bottom. It won't turn into a dystopia unless we keep trying to imagine the future under our current constructs.

Agreed. Driving AI that's "at least as good as the average human" is basically already here. The first autonomous truck delivery occurred last month. Google has had autonomous vehicles driving around the streets of Mountain View, CA and environs for a decade. While there are still technical issues remaining, and it will take time for the social change that automated vehicles imply to scale up, the reality is that the future is now. If you drive for a living, start finding something else to do, because your future employment outlook is not bright.

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 7, 2016, 13:35 Scottish Martial Arts

Dacote wrote on Nov 7, 2016, 09:17:
Blue wrote on Nov 7, 2016, 08:34:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 6, 2016, 17:02:
Uh, Blue, we just ended Daylight Saving Time for the year. That's why your timezone shifted from EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) to EST (Eastern Standard Time) at 2am last night. If you dislike the earlier sunsets that means you dislike Standard time, not Daylight Saving time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB8ewAdhY7Q

I wasn't expecting that.
i thought every forum needed 5 resident certified pedanticians.

To continue the pedantic streak, if you eliminate Daylight Saving Time, you get to "enjoy" early sunsets all year long.

What exactly is being argued for in our semi-annual Daylight Saving Time bitch festival? Do we adopt Daylight Saving year round for later sunsets? Do we adopt standard time year round for earlier mornings? Or do we accept that synchronizing daytime hours with our clocks on a planet with seasons implies a semi-annual resynchronization day?

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 6, 2016, 17:02 Scottish Martial Arts

Yep, another weekend in Daylight Saving Time hell. It's the same for me every fall, I like the extra hour, but hate the process otherwise. I especially hate the earlier sunsets, and will continue to complain about them (as well as all those damn kids on my lawn).

Uh, Blue, we just ended Daylight Saving Time for the year. That's why your timezone shifted from EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) to EST (Eastern Standard Time) at 2am last night. If you dislike the earlier sunsets that means you dislike Standard time, not Daylight Saving time.

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 5, 2016, 14:34 Scottish Martial Arts

Personally, I love having later evenings (when I'm awake) rather than earlier mornings (when I am not) in the summer, and consider two days of adjustment per year a very small price to pay. Maybe if I was routinely up before 5am, I would feel differently, but I'm not, so I don't.  

News Comments > No Cross-play for Infinite Warfare or Modern Warfare Remastered
17. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 4, 2016, 16:51 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 16:11:

Srop feeding the troll.

When you assume the mantle of diction expert on the word "salty", you forfeit the right to accuse others of trolling.

It's just how it works.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for Linux
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 3, 2016, 13:16 Scottish Martial Arts

Dacote wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 12:55:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 11:19:

Right now SteamOS Linux is just a novelty that has little in the way of backing. Valve Developers needs to ensure that at least 75% of AAA releases are available for SteamOS Linux to make it at all credible.

Thread closed.

N.B.: the above only applies to gaming and consumer desktop computing. For software development, server-side computing, and non-realtime embedded systems, Linux is ubiquitous and not the least bit a novelty: billion dollar businesses depend on it.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for Linux
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 3, 2016, 13:14 Scottish Martial Arts

Frijoles wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 11:31:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 11:19:
If Valve wants to get developers onboard then it should be provided support to developers and pushing for a simultaneous launch.

Does Valve ever support anything after they launch it? Other than DOTA?

Counter-Strike in all its iterations, Team Fortress Classic and Team Fortress 2, and Left 4 Dead 2 are the prime examples of the extensive post-release content support they provide. Other Valve games with post-release content support, but to a lesser degree, include Portal 2 and Day of Defeat. All their other games are continually patched to stay compatible with modern systems and to fix bugs/issues when they still occasionally arise. Honestly, it's hard to think of a developer that provides better post-release support, nearly all of it for free.

3007 Comments. 151 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo