Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 3007 (Veteran)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
21. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 8, 2016, 11:59 Scottish Martial Arts

jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 04:35:
Not sure I agree with "software development" as Visual Studio has long been the best IDE out there, but one thing Mac was superior at was graphic design. All of our graphic designers used Macs for decades. Windows versions are finally par, but 10 years ago, was not the case.

At one time that was probably true, but these days Visual Studio is generally regarded as bloated, slow, and too tightly tied to the Microsoft tech stack. If you hang around on places like Hacker News, Reddit, or other places where software engineers congregate, you tend to see the various Jetbrains IDEs come up as the "best IDEs ever".

The bigger issue though is that unless you are working on the Microsoft tech stack, Windows is a total pain in the ass. The Windows Subsystem for Linux might change that -- a new Windows 10 Anniversary update feature which converts POSIX system calls to calls to the NT kernel, while also supporting an Ubuntu-based bash shell and linux utilities -- but Unix has been pretty standard as the software development platform of choice for decades. For example, the C and C++ compiler in Visual Studio have a number of Microsoft-proprietary "extensions" that break ANSI/ISO standards compatibility; this issue doesn't come up often, but when it does, it completely bites you in the ass. Likewise, many software libraries either do not work, have subtle quirks that will cause problems, or are a pain in the ass to get working on Windows. It's not that Windows doesn't support software development, it's just that Microsoft has spent two decades trying to ensure that you develop software the Microsoft way, and hasn't been particularly interested in making developers life easier if they need something from a Unix-based platform. The result? Unless you specifically work with the Microsoft tech stack, life's just easier on Linux, Unix, and the Mac.

In fact, here's Google's advice for new hires on what kind of computer to select:

We have machines for OSX, Windows, Goobuntu (Google’s flavor of Linux) and ChromeOS. Your options for hardware won't be too robust but the hardware we provide our employees are usually more than adequate and either new or in like new condition. What you choose is dependent on personal preference. It would be a good idea to consider what your role is, for example, engineers tend to prefer Macs but those in finance tend to choose PCs for their superior excel capabilities.

Like I said, for certain industries, the advantages of the Mac have made it the platform of choice over Windows.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 7, 2016, 23:10 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 21:55:
I'll never understand people who love Crapple.

Other OEMs have since caught up (mostly), but for a solid decade there, their laptops had build quality that was a clear step above. They also have always paid attention to things like battery life, screen quality, and the track pad. Also, for certain fields/industries like software development, the OS X/macOS platform offers clear advantages over Windows. In terms of performance per dollar, Macs are a clear loser, but the sorts of people that are most concerned with maximizing that ratio, e.g. gamers, aren't the target audience for Macs.

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 7, 2016, 23:05 Scottish Martial Arts

Pigeon wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 19:14:
Yes it takes a lot of courage to drop the 3.5mm port so you can push a pair of proprietary wireless ear buds for $159 that will likely sound no better than a pair you can get for $29.99 off Amazon. Yes courage, courage to be greedy as fuck.

Heh, I had the stream on in the background this morning -- on the off chance they announced the rumored new MacBook Pros -- and literally snorted coffee through my nose when he said the number one reason they were killing the headphone was "courage".

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 7, 2016, 18:21 Scottish Martial Arts

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 18:15:

Yes, that ending is much better, or at least it's more satisfying.

Really? As I recall the ending was just three slightly different, rambling monologues over stock footage, none of which had anything to do with the events of the game. I'll take a "To be continued..." over a "fuck, we need to slap an ending together in 5 minutes", to be honest.

20. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 7, 2016, 18:17 Scottish Martial Arts

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 11:50:
Just finished Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Seriously, the ending sucked balls. Felt like the game ended about 3/4 of the way through. Also the credits roll on for about 15 minutes and there is no way to stop them other than to CTRL+ALT+DEL and force the program to shut down...I mean they roll on so long that the ending "theme" song loops about 3 times...

Meh, it wasn't the best ending ever, but I've seen far worse. I liked that you get a recap of the decisions you made, and their impact. Plus, the final mission was super cool, the only game I can think of that convincingly portrays a frantic scramble to prevent a terrorist attack, and where a slip up on your end means having to choose between saving lives versus stopping a bad political outcome. The main story has definitely been left for DLC to finish though.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 6, 2016, 12:38 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 11:58:
I just want to know when the AIB RX 480 cards will be here en masse! I need a new card!

Is there some reason to avoid the Geforce 10xx series that I'm unaware of? I got a 1070 about 6 weeks ago and it was probably the most dramatic performance increase I've ever gotten from a GPU upgrade (previous card was a R9 280X).

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided DLC This Month
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 2, 2016, 13:30 Scottish Martial Arts

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 2, 2016, 13:15:
If the Illuminati are the circle of peeps we see throughout the game, but especially during the subspace communication hack then we already know at least 3 of their names... director of Manderly (FEMA), Bob Page (Picus) and whoever the boss of our boss in TF29 was.. I forgot who actually.. dang it.

Unless that was a giant red herring and I fell for it

Wait... have you actually never played the original Deus Ex? Or has it just been a long time and you've forgotten the character names?

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 23, 2016, 03:36 Scottish Martial Arts

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 12:05:
It was obsolete when it was released.

The specs as described in the video would suggest otherwise. It certainly outclassed the Athlon 64 + Geforce 7800 system I built the year that thing was released. Of course, a PowerPC architecture processor wouldn't have run Battlefield 2 or GTA: San Andreas.

edit: Yeah, here's my post discussing system specs on this very forum. Yeah... twin dual-core processors at 2.5Ghz, 8GB of RAM and 4 PCI-E slots is pretty godlike compared to what I was proposing building 11 (gulp) years ago.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2016, 03:43.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 21, 2016, 15:57 Scottish Martial Arts

Bill Borre wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 14:17:
If Backpage.com has a trafficking reputation I'm not sure why girls who wished to avoid such a situation would visit the site.

*facepalm*

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 16, 2016, 20:46 Scottish Martial Arts

Except that the Pokemon points of interest aren't actually on their property but in a nearby public park. While it undoubtedly sucks that Pokemon players are disrespecting their property while en route to a public park, I'm not sure that's something you can blame on the game or its developer/publisher. If a concert was held at this public park, would they have standing to sue the organizers because concert attendees walked across their lawn? What if the city installed new playground equipment that drew a bunch of families to the park? A lawsuit over this seems particularly cranky and/or just an attempt to cash in while the game is still popular; in six months (or however long it takes for the Pokemon GO fad to fade), they will not be having this problem.  

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 11, 2016, 12:49 Scottish Martial Arts

I can understand why people don't like baseball -- it's primarily built around tension and anticipation, rather than motion and continual action -- but calling it "not a sport" is a stretch. What pitchers and batters do are feats of physicality no different from the field events of track and field, and the agility, speed, and coordination displayed by fielders is often spectacular, and when it's not spectacular it's merely because players are very good at making the very difficult look very easy.  

News Comments > Quake Champions Gameplay Trailer
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 4, 2016, 19:38 Scottish Martial Arts

NotOneOfUs wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 19:05:
Looks... promising.

My thought as well. Given how unexpectedly great Doom 2016 was, this is officially on my radar now.

News Comments > Disney Platformers on GOG.com
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 4, 2016, 13:17 Scottish Martial Arts

Tachikoma wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 11:57:
Yawn. Much more interesting is the fact Kenshi just appeared on GOG - finally some EA -sorry, In Dev - game with substance.

The Lion King and Aladdin are both generally regarded as two of the best platformers from the SNES/Genesis era, if not two of the best ever. I know I definitely have fond memories of both from elementary school.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2016, 14:24 Scottish Martial Arts

Tachikoma wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 14:14:
Milo, @Nero, Diogenes...my my, all these learned, ancient-sounding monikers. I`ll be bit more blunt: he`s just a low-life, bottom-feeding scum. Guess you can count me as a "detractor"

I'm a detractor as well. While I didn't come out and say it, I think the comparison to Diogenes is bullshit, and the guy is just a repugnant, retrograde troll, albeit a troll who is willing to direct his followers to cause real life harm to those he targets. But I try to be charitable to opposing views when possible, particularly on a website like this one that has a lot of pro-gamersgate people.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2016, 13:42 Scottish Martial Arts

NKD wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 13:08:
Not familiar with this guy but people would do well to get away from Twitter anyway.

He's an alt-right bomb thrower: says and does shocking things ostensibly to stick it to the consensus of polite society. His supporters would argue that he's shining a light on the hypocrisy of the powers that be a la Diogenes the Cynic, while his detractors would say he's simply a racist/sexist demagogue who orchestrates targeted harassment campaigns. Personally, I'm surprised his Twitter account lasted as long as it did, and don't particularly mourn its loss.

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2016, 00:03 Scottish Martial Arts

WaltC wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 12:23:
I wake up each morning refreshed in the knowledge that since Apple's origin I have never owned an Apple product--although on a couple of occasions I tried unsuccessfully to talk myself into buying one...;) Yep, I've never been duped by the con-artists at Apple, and I have never had occasion to regret it. Oh happy day...;)

And this is why you desperately need a life.

News Comments > Nuka Time is Last DLC for Fallout 4
21. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 6, 2016, 15:53 Scottish Martial Arts

Jerykk wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 12:25:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 04:13:
Tachikoma wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 03:06:

Xmas 2017, maybe.

Let's just hope they learned not to fuck around with the dialog system like they did with FO4.

It will actually be interesting to see how they handle dialogue in the next ES game. If they're still going to let you play as different races and they have a fully-voiced PC, that means they're going to need different VO for each race (since a Khajitt can't sound like an Argonian and a Dark Elf can't sound like High Elf and a Breton can't sound like an Orc). Granted, ES has never really been about dialogue but even then, that's going to be a lot of VO for each line.

I'm sure they'll just give the lines to the same four voice actors they've been using since the dawn of time.

News Comments > Nuka Time is Last DLC for Fallout 4
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 6, 2016, 12:04 Scottish Martial Arts

Well this is the developer which gave us the phrase "horse armor", after all.  

News Comments > Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard
24. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 4, 2016, 02:54 Scottish Martial Arts

shihonage wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 23:32:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 19:33:
words

Off-topic: SMA, you left the Codex?

Yup. Someone pissed me off last October/November-ish, which prompted some "why do I still visit this site when it only ever causes aggravation?"-type reflection, which in turn prompted me to send DU a message asking for a self-ban. Aside from reading through the "Why is SMA banned?" thread that popped up a few weeks later, I haven't been back.

News Comments > Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2016, 20:35 Scottish Martial Arts

It's a big company, but it's also a pretty conservative one. Overwatch is their first genuinely new IP since 1998 after all. It seems entirely reasonable to me that more senior employees could reach the end of a project and conclude that the projects they're most interested in and which can most grow their career might be at other companies.

I'm not privy to what goes on inside Blizzard, but seen purely from the outside, a handful of leads moving on as development winds down on a major project seems pretty normal to me. The end of a project is certainly when I return recruiter emails and assess whether my career is best served by another ~18 months at the same company. :-shrug-:

3007 Comments. 151 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo