Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 3160 (Veteran)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Next Overwatch Hero Greek?
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 21, 2017, 10:22 Scottish Martial Arts

descender wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 10:05:
What is there to even be offended about? The boy-loving part I guess? Greeks sexing up little boys must be one of the oldest jokes in history. Being able to see that they are generally hairy and love olive oil are really weird things to be offended by.

Rereading your comment, not much. I guess just the image of the country being a bunch of unemployed anarchists, while having a grain of truth, rubbed me wrong simply because the country is suffering so much. Not trying to be a killjoy or anything, I think it's just that because I love ancient Greece so much, my heart breaks in proportion for the current state of the country.

Oh well, it's not that important. I fully support you making jokes and sly remarks, so have at it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 21, 2017, 09:43 Scottish Martial Arts

NewMaxx wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 23:11:
If that makes me an asshole then - guilty as charged.

Well, if I'm being perfectly honest, I do probably consider anyone who voted for Trump out of genuine support for the guy to be an asshole, but then I'm sure the reverse is probably true for you and other Trump supporters. But outside politics though, you seem like a pretty alright dude NewMaxx. I think the country just needs time to heal after the nation-wide nervous breakdown of the 2016 election. I'll still probably always disagree with you, and other Trump supporters, about our President's merits/competence but hopefully with a few more months we can all just get past it, play some video games together, and go back to the Internet's baseline level of anger/assholery as opposed to what it's been for the past 18 months.

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 21, 2017, 09:34 Scottish Martial Arts

descender wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 17:10:
Jokes?! On the internet?! OH MY GOD!!!

Wasn't offended myself, but if I were Greek I could definitely see how it would feel like being kicked down. On the other hand, I'm a great Hellenophile, read ancient Greek, and generally have a soft spot for those hyper-competitive, but deeply reflective, assholes who got the whole ball of Western Culture rolling. It's a tragedy what modern Greece has become, much of it her fault but with a major assist from the European Central Bank, Germany, and the IMF.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 21, 2017, 00:18 Scottish Martial Arts

Haha, for sure. I'd be up for a beer!

This apartment is on Barrow St, so yeah, if we don't get a beer, then we will surely walk by each other without knowing.

I've definitely got my fingers crossed. There are no major red flags in my finances aside from a few late student loan payments back in 2010, i.e. the middle of the recession. I've offered to just pay the full term of the lease up front in case the landlord has any reservations. My realtor's comment was "unless the landlord is a nut job -- and sadly there are some nutty landlords in NYC -- you'll get the apartment". Things are looking good, but I'll feel a lot better once I have a signed lease in my hands, haha.

19. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 20, 2017, 21:52 Scottish Martial Arts

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 21:33:
Good luck to you.

However, I gotta ask... what price range are we talking about? 'Cause my mostly uninformed guess would be that isn't going to be cheap.

Thanks! It's $3k/month for a 1bd/1bath. Prewar building (so thick, basically sound proof walls) but renovated in the last two years with a full galley kitchen (with granite counters, stainless steel appliances, etc.), well configured and spacious (by New York standards) living room, high ceilings, lots of natural light, beautiful courtyard, and a prime location in Manhattan's most desirable residential neighborhood. Square footage isn't great, but it's New York after all, and I won't have roommates/spouse/etc.. For what I'm getting, the rent is a relative steal. The realtor seemed to think my chances of getting it were excellent: I should get the thumbs up/down from the landlord by end of day tomorrow.

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 20, 2017, 20:52 Scottish Martial Arts

Spent most of today touring and applying for a super awesome West Village apartment in Manhattan. It's looking very likely that I'll get it. Keep you fingers crossed for me guys, haha!  

21. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 15, 2017, 18:28 Scottish Martial Arts

Kxmode wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 15:20:
Movies are released on video so fast. I saw an ad for Dr. Strange coming February 28. 3-4 months ago it was released in theaters (October 20, 2016). 3-4 months is about the same time for Star Wars TFA (In theaters December 17, 2015, released on DVD April 1, 2016) I wonder if this is an industry practice or something exclusive to Disney considering they own so many large IPs (LucasFilm, Marvel, Pixar, etc.)

It's fairly standard industry practice these days, but is new as of the past few years. Probably a response to declining cinema sales and to piracy, i.e. movies have shorter theater runs and the longer they sit around unavailable, the more likely people will turn to piracy.

23. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 3, 2017, 16:26 Scottish Martial Arts

BobBob wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 16:10:
Is there a way to test the computer to see if I'm running out of physical RAM in real time? Any kind of alert utility?

Task Manager has a tab which shows memory usage.

14. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 2, 2017, 13:29 Scottish Martial Arts

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 09:39:
Thank you Boston Dynamics. Within 20 years all Amazon/Fed Ex/UPS employee's will be out of a job (except for delivery)!

*really wants the robotic dog*

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how society handles the resulting economic, social, and cultural dislocation as more and more workers become unnecessary. Videos like this really make me wonder what planet -- or more accurately what era -- people think they're living on when rural and blue collar people ask the right-wing authoritarian populist movements sweeping the West to bring back "the good factory jobs". Nostalgia for the mid-20th century industrial economy can't un-invent technology. We need to start acknowledging that the 21st century is rapidly moving towards the end of mass employment if we're ever going to solve the problems which that end is creating.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Launches Consumer Products Division
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 1, 2017, 10:27 Scottish Martial Arts

nin wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 10:13:
Creston wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 10:03:
:-yawn-:

Creston! Start your day with a delicious bowl of Ironforge-Os (R TM) cereal! Forged vitamins and minerals to help you farm materials the whole day! (Exclusive code for Hearthstone card back inside specially marked packages!)

If there's a Warcraft themed toy at the bottom of the box, I am totally on board.

57. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 30, 2017, 11:44 Scottish Martial Arts

Well that escalated quickly.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Breach and VR Experience for Free
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 25, 2017, 00:47 Scottish Martial Arts

Squirmer wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 00:19:
Ah that's interesting, makes me want to play it now.

It's definitely worth playing if you've enjoyed other Deus Ex games or Vampire: Bloodlines. I'm undecided on whether it's as good as Human Revolution -- some things are better, some worse -- but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The Breach mode is kinda garbage though.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Breach and VR Experience for Free
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 24, 2017, 21:44 Scottish Martial Arts

Squirmer wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 21:26:
Have they finished the storyline of Mankind Divided yet? That seemed to be one of the biggest criticisms.

It's complete. The issue is that if you haven't played the original Deus Ex, or have completely forgotten its story and characters, then it's easy to misunderstand some key cutscenes. The motivating action of the game is all resolved by the time the credits roll, but the DX1 characters whom you glimpse in various cutscenes haven't been unmasked or defeated. If you don't know that they're DX1 characters, and therefore have to be alive in 20 game universe years and still be doing Illuminati-type things, then you can easily come away with the impression that the game left major plot points unresolved.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
23. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 24, 2017, 19:52 Scottish Martial Arts

Timmeh approved facts:

Nothing that has ever happened or will ever happen was as great as Donald Trump’s inauguration.

The crowd was magnificent and huge, bigger than any crowd had ever been before! It stretched all the way to the moon. The Pope, who was there, confirmed it.

“Thanks for being here, Pope,” Donald Trump told him.

“Are you kidding? You’re my best friend,” the Pope said. “I wouldn’t miss your big day for anything!” He gave Donald Trump a big high-five.

Everyone in the world had come there at great expense. They sold all their possessions — their homes, their “Hamilton” tickets, which were worthless to them — to raise money to come and see this great sight. They could not believe that a perfect being such as Donald Trump even existed. They thought that he was a myth or a legend or a decades-long series of fabrications.

But then they saw him, and their doubts fell away.

The media was there, too, and they were very sorry. “Donald,” the newscasters said, “we were mean to you. We used to laugh and call you names. We were no better than all of the other reindeer. How can you ever forgive us?”

“Forgive you?” Donald Trump asked. “I’ve already forgotten.” He smiled a big, beautiful smile. That was just who Donald Trump was: forgiving, like Jesus, but blond.

It was a wonderful start to the day.

Everyone liked Donald Trump’s speech and the words that he used. They liked even more the part where he rolled up his sleeve and showed off his bicep. It was a great bicep. It made the Rock so upset to see it that he threw something down on the ground and said “darn.”

Donald Trump pulled out a violin and played a solo, and then he pulled out a guitar and played an even sicker solo. The whole ground was soon covered with women’s undergarments. (Millions of women were there to support Donald Trump, and they were all AT LEAST sevens.) Also, every woman that Donald Trump had ever dated was there, and they were not upset with him, just ashamed that they had not lived up to his required standard.

“Trump! Trump! Trump!” the crowd cheered.

Donald Trump touched many people in the crowd in a way that they all thought was welcome and appropriate, and he cured their ailments, from cancer to autism.

“If only we could bottle your touch,” someone said, “children could stop getting vaccinated altogether.”

Donald Trump winked. “Don’t worry!” he said. “I’m on it!”

Then Donald Trump served loaves and fishes to everyone there. There were enough loaves and fishes for everyone, and they all were Made in America and said “TRUMP” on them. It was like the Oscars, but also like Woodstock, but also like the Super Bowl, but also like the Sermon on the Mount. If you were not there, you should just go home and die, because nothing in your life will have purpose or meaning by comparison, not even holding your newborn child in your arms or having health insurance. This is what FOMO was talking about for all these years.

Bono, and Bruce Springsteen, and Elton John, and the Rolling Stones, and Beyonce, and all the top artists were there. They fought hard over who would be allowed to sing. Finally Bruce Springsteen won. Bono cried and cried, and the other artists had to console him. When Bruce Springsteen had finished singing, he walked over to Donald Trump, extended his hand, and said, “You are the only real hero left in the world.”

The people were so excited that they built a very special stone pyramid just for Donald Trump so that he would not have to wait until he died to see what his monument would look like. But they were silly to be concerned. Donald Trump will never die!

A little child was in the audience, and he started to cry because the emperor was wearing so many clothes. Also, he could tell that he was not and never had been racist.

Donald Trump’s beautiful big family was there. His favorite childhood dog was there, too, back from the farm where he still lives to this day.

Donald Trump can talk to the animals, and his eyes are lasers. When the floor is lava, Donald Trump can walk on it, but only Donald Trump. When Donald Trump points his finger at you, you have to lie down. But when other people point their fingers at Donald Trump, he does not have to. Donald Trump’s block tower is the biggest. He does not need a nap or a snack. He has the longest, biggest attention span. Everyone loves Donald Trump, and what he has to say interests them.

Donald Trump is the star. People love him.

He won the popular vote, too.

19. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 24, 2017, 19:44 Scottish Martial Arts

nin wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 11:29:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 11:23:
I personally loved TFA and had no problems with the remix of the original trilogy. For me TFA ranks near the top behind #1 Empire and #2 A New Hope.

Totally agree, loved it, especially after the trash prequels.

Agreed. I'd also add that I thought it was far superior to, the nevertheless enjoyable, Rogue One. TFA's plot may have been a remix of the original trilogy, but it told its story well. In contrast, Rogue One did try to do something different with Star Wars, but got tripped up with lifeless characters and editing/pacing issues.

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 22, 2017, 16:57 Scottish Martial Arts

DangerDog wrote on Jan 22, 2017, 16:51:
Right out of the gate the media is trying to paint a false narrative that he's completely unpopular, so unpopular that nobody showed up for his inauguration. It's the media that are acting childish in this case.

So are the aerial photographs and approval polls fake then? I'm not sure Trump needs you to defend his ego: I'm sure he'll spend most of his time in office doing just that.

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 22, 2017, 16:40 Scottish Martial Arts

DangerDog wrote on Jan 22, 2017, 16:25:
Lot's of people showed up, end of story.

Except it's not the end of the story, because Trump thought it would be a good idea to send out his press secretary to declare that this was the most watched transition ever, moments after commenting that there are no hard numbers on attendance and viewership. And now, this morning, the soulless administration minions dispatched to the Sunday talk shows are, on being confronted with Sean Spicer's bullshit, talking about "alternative facts" and how "you can't quantify crowd numbers".

Every time Trump and his people make an ass of themselves, they reduce their stock of political capital with which to get anything done in their administration. The more absurd they behave, the less Congress is able to keep pretending the Emperor is wearing clothes. If Trump actually wants to win so much we get tired of winning, then he needs to find a better political hill to entrench on than the size of his inaugural audience.

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 22, 2017, 16:02 Scottish Martial Arts

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 22, 2017, 15:52:
It's nothing new. He said things which were demonstrably lies throughout the campaign.

Very true. It's still mildly surprising however that this is how they'd choose to spend their first full day in power: immolating any trustworthiness imparted by actually being in office for the sake of feeding Trump's insatiable ego. I figured they'd hold off on lying their ass off until a policy goal was on the line, like repealing Obamacare, but I guess they'd rather burn political capital and credibility on how big league the inauguration crowds were.

On second thought, it's not surprising at all: it's entirely consistent with Trump's behavior through the campaign, with all its impulsive self-destruction. The question now isn't whether or not Trump will be able to govern effectively -- he clearly will not -- but a question of how much damage his careening incompetence will do to the country, and the world, before he's out of office.

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 22, 2017, 15:46 Scottish Martial Arts

The thing that gets me is that the ONLY reason why anyone cares how big the crowd was at inauguration is because we all know that Trump cares so much about size. If Trump had the emotional maturity not to care and the self-discipline not to mouth off about it, then the crowd size would have been a non issue. Instead, we now have him and his staff lying about something which anyone with a functioning pair of eyeballs can clearly see is a lie. If they're willing to abandon all shame, and lie about something so easily proven as a lie, and so unimportant in the scheme of his administration, then when, exactly, can we ever expect them to tell the truth? At least they are beginning their administration by not presenting us with any illusions about their credibility, or lack there of. This is going to be a long four years.  

84. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 22, 2017, 13:33 Scottish Martial Arts

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 22, 2017, 12:07:
Holy Shit. I don't know what's harder to believe. Kellyanne "Alternative Facts" Conway in charge of the ministry of misinformation, or that some simpletons actually believe this crap.
It's mind boggling.

Who are you going to believe: the great and magnificent President Donald J. Trump, first of his name, King of the Andhals and the First Men, or so called "photographic evidence"?

3160 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo