Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 3077 (Veteran)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 9, 2016, 20:50 Scottish Martial Arts

It's concerning when you're global allies greet an election result with shock and horror, while your global adversaries greet it with delight and congratulations to the victor.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 8, 2016, 14:13 Scottish Martial Arts

This was my first time voting in-person since... the 2004 election? Can't remember. I had been doing the absentee ballot thing the last several elections, but after moving two years ago, had never gotten around to requesting permanent absentee status with my new voter registration. My polling place had a short-line that was moving fairly quickly; in and out in about 10 minutes.  

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 8, 2016, 12:56 Scottish Martial Arts

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 8, 2016, 12:33:
Indeed Verno. Unless both houses of Congress and the Presidency is held by the same party, it is likely we will see a continuation of obstructionism. And even then, filibuster rules in the Senate are such that barring a solid 60 vote block, neither party will be able to accomplish much.

If the Democrats take the Senate and the Republicans follow through on their promise not to consider any Clinton Supreme Court nominees, then in all likelihood there will be a rule change ending the filibuster. It's just a parliamentary rule and is subject to any changes of rules of order by the Senate majority. What has kept the filibuster alive in the past was respect for the precedent of a long-standing rule, but then it would be pretty unprecedented for a minority party which loses an election to refuse to consider any nominee, no matter how moderate or qualified.

Any sort of Clinton legislative agenda however is dead in the water, since the Comey letter effectively killed Democratic chances for retaking the House. That said, if everything goes right for Trump today, he could still win this thing and we can all enjoy our future of authoritarian white nationalism, unimpeded by a cowed and ineffective Republican Congressional majority.

26. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 7, 2016, 21:04 Scottish Martial Arts

descender wrote on Nov 7, 2016, 20:00:
Most drivers are overly sure of their own ability and awareness until they are actually in an accident. It has basically been proven that humans can't actually do 2 activities at the same time at full mental capacity (multitask) and we are limited to our 5 senses and their ability to perceive the world. There is not too much that a human can actually do better than a machine anymore.

I agree that 10 years might be optimistic, but 20 probably isn't. I definitely agree that corporately or (hopefully) federally owned fleets of automated cars will be the way of it. It has to be that sort of controlled system so that it all works together properly.

The automation of society is going to force us to change the way everything works, top to bottom. It won't turn into a dystopia unless we keep trying to imagine the future under our current constructs.

Agreed. Driving AI that's "at least as good as the average human" is basically already here. The first autonomous truck delivery occurred last month. Google has had autonomous vehicles driving around the streets of Mountain View, CA and environs for a decade. While there are still technical issues remaining, and it will take time for the social change that automated vehicles imply to scale up, the reality is that the future is now. If you drive for a living, start finding something else to do, because your future employment outlook is not bright.

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 7, 2016, 13:35 Scottish Martial Arts

Dacote wrote on Nov 7, 2016, 09:17:
Blue wrote on Nov 7, 2016, 08:34:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 6, 2016, 17:02:
Uh, Blue, we just ended Daylight Saving Time for the year. That's why your timezone shifted from EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) to EST (Eastern Standard Time) at 2am last night. If you dislike the earlier sunsets that means you dislike Standard time, not Daylight Saving time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB8ewAdhY7Q

I wasn't expecting that.
i thought every forum needed 5 resident certified pedanticians.

To continue the pedantic streak, if you eliminate Daylight Saving Time, you get to "enjoy" early sunsets all year long.

What exactly is being argued for in our semi-annual Daylight Saving Time bitch festival? Do we adopt Daylight Saving year round for later sunsets? Do we adopt standard time year round for earlier mornings? Or do we accept that synchronizing daytime hours with our clocks on a planet with seasons implies a semi-annual resynchronization day?

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 6, 2016, 17:02 Scottish Martial Arts

Yep, another weekend in Daylight Saving Time hell. It's the same for me every fall, I like the extra hour, but hate the process otherwise. I especially hate the earlier sunsets, and will continue to complain about them (as well as all those damn kids on my lawn).

Uh, Blue, we just ended Daylight Saving Time for the year. That's why your timezone shifted from EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) to EST (Eastern Standard Time) at 2am last night. If you dislike the earlier sunsets that means you dislike Standard time, not Daylight Saving time.

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 5, 2016, 14:34 Scottish Martial Arts

Personally, I love having later evenings (when I'm awake) rather than earlier mornings (when I am not) in the summer, and consider two days of adjustment per year a very small price to pay. Maybe if I was routinely up before 5am, I would feel differently, but I'm not, so I don't.  

News Comments > No Cross-play for Infinite Warfare or Modern Warfare Remastered
17. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 4, 2016, 16:51 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 16:11:

Srop feeding the troll.

When you assume the mantle of diction expert on the word "salty", you forfeit the right to accuse others of trolling.

It's just how it works.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for Linux
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 3, 2016, 13:16 Scottish Martial Arts

Dacote wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 12:55:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 11:19:

Right now SteamOS Linux is just a novelty that has little in the way of backing. Valve Developers needs to ensure that at least 75% of AAA releases are available for SteamOS Linux to make it at all credible.

Thread closed.

N.B.: the above only applies to gaming and consumer desktop computing. For software development, server-side computing, and non-realtime embedded systems, Linux is ubiquitous and not the least bit a novelty: billion dollar businesses depend on it.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for Linux
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 3, 2016, 13:14 Scottish Martial Arts

Frijoles wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 11:31:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 11:19:
If Valve wants to get developers onboard then it should be provided support to developers and pushing for a simultaneous launch.

Does Valve ever support anything after they launch it? Other than DOTA?

Counter-Strike in all its iterations, Team Fortress Classic and Team Fortress 2, and Left 4 Dead 2 are the prime examples of the extensive post-release content support they provide. Other Valve games with post-release content support, but to a lesser degree, include Portal 2 and Day of Defeat. All their other games are continually patched to stay compatible with modern systems and to fix bugs/issues when they still occasionally arise. Honestly, it's hard to think of a developer that provides better post-release support, nearly all of it for free.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 1, 2016, 23:10 Scottish Martial Arts

wtf_man wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 21:36:
The text may not look as crisp, but 4k on a 12-13 inch screen would mean a lot of text would be too tiny to read. (Thinking MMO chat boxes, here). You either have to increase the font size to not get much text int the box or increase both the text and the box to cover up too much screen.

You missed the part about scaling. The laptop I'm writing this post on has a native resolution of 2560 x 1600 but is currently displaying at 1440 x 900. Most hi-dpi laptop displays will look like 1440 x 900 or 1680 x 1050 or 1080p, but will use more pixels to render the image, resulting in a much smoother image, particularly where text is concerned. And given that computing involves looking at a lot of text, not having a hi-dpi display really sucks. It's really one of those things where you can never go back. I would not buy a 13" laptop with just a 1080p display.

As for ultrabooks with higher end GPUs, the challenge is that thinness and lightness are design considerations that are directly opposed to GPU performance, and the requisite cooling and power requirements. You stick a Geforce 10 in an ultrabook, and you're either going to have to get a thicker to support bigger fans and a larger battery, or you accept minimal battery life and a GPU that constantly throttles itself because of heat (not to mention your lap is going to be very toasty). I'd love to see a Geforce 10 equipped ultrabook as well, but the likelihood of a laptop being thin, light, with a long battery life, AND to have good GPU performance isn't great.

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2016, 23:17.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 1, 2016, 19:51 Scottish Martial Arts

wtf_man wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 15:12:

Call me when there is a light ultrabook thin version with a 1060 or better... ...and 1080p is fine for 12-13 inches of display.

Not really, at least not in comparison to modern hi-dpi displays. Once your eyes get used to a high pixel density scaled display, it gets really, really tough to go back to plain 1080p. Text in particular looks particularly rough on 1080p in comparison to displays with 200+ pixels per inch.

News Comments > Origin Coming Back to Myanmar
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 31, 2016, 11:24 Scottish Martial Arts

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 10:52:
You will have to buy back all of your games, a minor inconvenience.
May you or your loved ones not be disappeared.

You're aware that your argument can be used to dismiss literally any problem, right? "Why are you upset about whether Myanmar gets Origin? Shouldn't you be planning for retirement?" Everyone always's has a bigger problem, but that doesn't mean the current one doesn't deserve to be addressed.

News Comments > THQ Nordic Acquires NovaLogic Franchises
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 31, 2016, 11:21 Scottish Martial Arts

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 11:16:
Played a fuck ton of the first Delta Force back in the day on dial-up. Was blown away with how open the maps were and how great it looked.

Them voxels!

Same. Delta Force 2 was a favorite of mine, circa 1999.

News Comments > Skyrim Special Edition Audio Fix Coming
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 31, 2016, 11:20 Scottish Martial Arts

nin wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 11:07:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 11:03:
Beyond the upgraded graphics fx and 64 bit exe, there is NO REASON at all to play this.

Besides it being an awesome game, with so much content that it encourages replays.

It's still a good game, but you have to admit that the utter lack of new features and content makes it less interesting of a refresh than it could have been. While the graphic upgrades can look good, the game is also entirely capable of being indistinguishable from the original, particularly when in-doors. All they had to do was add another Dawnguard style DLC to it, i.e. new quests without a new land-mass, and it would have been a major release. But with just inconsistent graphics upgrades? I already have 300 hours in that game, and I'm not sure how many more I want to invest.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 30, 2016, 19:55 Scottish Martial Arts

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 18:58:
Favorite post,

Pro is short for Profit, not professional.

Only if the only professionals we're talking about are pro gamers.

If your field requires a high-end Unix workstation, the Mac has been your go-to for over a decade. When you're talking about the tool which makes you money, and which you spend 40-60 hours working on per week, a high up front cost that makes gamers balk is relatively unimportant. Unfortunately, for those of who use a Mac as our professional tool, Apple's dominance in this particular niche may be coming to an end, and there's no obvious replacement.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 30, 2016, 17:35 Scottish Martial Arts

Pr()ZaC wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 17:12:
I guess the 16GB limit will upset a very small percentage of users. We're talking about a mobile PC.
If you want to play with the bigger kids, get yourself a desktop and stop bitching.

I agree but the problem is that traditionally the MacBook Pro has been a mobile desktop for software developers and creative designers, whereas the MacBook and MacBook Air have focused on portability. By not having enough RAM to be reasonably future proofed for the next 3ish years (the length of an AppleCare service contract), Apple isn't serving the needs of the developers and designers who do professional (hence the "Pro" in "MacBook Pro") work on their systems. While I love my existing MBP, I have run into the limits of the hardware when running VMs and device simulators, and unfortunately the newest MBP won't do much to address that. This all would be less of an issue if the desktop Mac Pro had also gotten an upgrade, but it didn't: it is unchanged since it's 2013 redesign, with no hardware refresh in three years. If you need a very high end workstation -- whether semi-portable or stationary -- then Apple's current lineup leaves a lot to be desired, even if you don't care about the price tag.

The more time I've had to think about the new MBPs the more disappointed I am, and the more I'm realizing I'll need to wait for announcements for the rest of the lineup before making a decision on what, if anything, to upgrade to. Note that I say all of this with my software engineer hat on, and not my PC gamer hat; if the latter was the only thing that mattered to me, then this would obviously be a moot point.

21. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 18:22 Scottish Martial Arts

descender wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 16:29:
The only argument that holds water for buying a Mac, IMO, is that you use a piece of software that only exists and runs on IOS.

iOS software doesn't run on OS X/macOS, although most OS X software has an iOS version, and vice-versa, both of which can talk to each other, synchronize data, and offer seamless transitions between devices.

At any rate, while the 90s PC gaming scene taught us to think that software availability on the Mac was garbage, the truth is for non-gaming software, the Mac in 2016 has a very vibrant ecosystem, with the standout programs often unavailable on the PC. To your point, choosing to use a Mac because of the software available for it is a pretty compelling argument.

At any rate, the key problems with the Mac, as I see them, are the price, and the user-hostile stuff like lack of ports and lack of upgradeability. To be honest though, the latter ends up being a non-issue: Apple devices hold their value so well that when you resell your old device, the new one ends up only costing as much as a bigger upgrade. For example, the 13" MBP I'm looking at upgrading currently has a resell value of $1000-$1200 on eBay. In contrast, I've never successfully resold PC components because they definitely do not hold their value.

But aside from price, I generally vastly prefer my Mac, and only fire up the PC for gaming.

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 14:20 Scottish Martial Arts

Nullity wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 14:16:
snip

True, although Linux isn't without it's drawbacks. I mean ffs, getting a printer working with Linux is frequently an exercise in despair. For software development, Linux is superb, but when it comes to say, using peripherals or running commercial software like Photoshop, you're often in for an extra hour or two of fucking around. FWIW, I used Ubuntu on my dev system prior to getting my Mac a few years ago.

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 14:14 Scottish Martial Arts

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 13:53:
snip

Agreed, with a stronger emphasis on the Unix development environment. A large number of software development packages and libraries have portability issues on Windows. (While I'm not a Ruby developer, I double dog dare you to get a Ruby on Rails development environment going on Windows.) The best tools are written for *nix first, and Windows second, if at all. It just quickly becomes a pain in the ass to get work done on Windows. Unix, after all, was written to be easy to develop software on. So if Windows is out -- except for Windows application development obviously -- then you can run either Linux or you can get a Mac. The vast majority of software engineers go the latter route, and I certainly don't regret my decision to do the same, even if the up front cost of hardware can sometimes induce a nosebleed.

3077 Comments. 154 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo