Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 3169 (Veteran)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 24, 2017, 14:17 Scottish Martial Arts

Speaking of moving, I heard back from my realtor this morning and it looks like I got my dream West Village apartment. The landlord has approved my application and the listing agent is just running a credit check to confirm that what I described of my credit history is accurate, which it is. Once that comes back positive, it'll be time to sign the lease and wire the move-in payment (which with brokerage fees made my jaw drop a little, but hey, this is Manhattan). My new place is near the intersection of Hudson St and Bleecker St, which puts me just a few blocks north of Beamer. Grab a beer in a few weeks?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past Released
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 24, 2017, 14:11 Scottish Martial Arts

Creston wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 13:41:
It sounds like a fun mission, but I really wish it got integrated into the main storyline somehow.

Same, especially in light of the series going on hiatus. Mankind Divided did some things better and some things worse than Human Revolution, but it, along with Doom, was one of my favorite games of 2016. I'll probably grab the DLC later today, give it a play through and post my thoughts.

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 24, 2017, 07:31 Scottish Martial Arts

Can't sleep clowns will eat me (or because I'm anxiously awaiting an answer on another West Village apartment). Things look good because I was the first person to apply on the first day it went on the market, plus my financials are solid, but it still seems to have been enough to wake me up a little before 4am pacific time.  

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 23, 2017, 23:40 Scottish Martial Arts

Dacote wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 21:20:
When a fox "no-news" talking head dies i just don't feel sad. I must be broken on the inside. sniff

Colmes was one of the three or four token Fox News liberals. Back in the Bush administration, Hannity's show was called "Hannity and Colmes" and the two of them would discuss the politics of the day. Colmes always came across as a genuinely nice guy, with a keen sense of humor.

18. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 22, 2017, 14:48 Scottish Martial Arts

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 13:12:
Bummer. How much was the application fee?

$250, which made not getting the apartment sting all the more. Oh well, there are plenty of cool apartments in the West Village in my price range. I bet that for sure by the end of next week I'll have nabbed one.

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 22, 2017, 12:43 Scottish Martial Arts

Didn't get the West Village apartment. Apparently the building management company concealed from my realtor that there was another applicant, and then basically stonewalled her when she asked for more info about why the other applicant was selected over me. My realtor's take was that the building management already had a tenant lined up and just played us to get an extra application fee. In my realtor's words, "Welcome to the world of New York real estate."

She's going to present me with some new listings later this afternoon, and then we'll go from there. Oh well.

26. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 22, 2017, 08:45 Scottish Martial Arts

Creston wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 21:44:
3K a month, hot damn. My mortgage is $1250 for 2700 sq feet, 4 bed, 2 bath and a 3 car garage. Oh, and four acres of land.

Anyway, hope you get it, SMH, you seem pretty excited about it! Good luck!

Haha, yeah I can totally understand why so many people look at places like NYC or San Francisco, shake their head, and say "WTF, man, WTF?"

Didn't get a decision yesterday, but my realtor thinks we should hear back today, most likely with a positive answer. I've still got my fingers crossed, and appreciate all you guys wishing me luck!

News Comments > Neverwinter: The Cloaked Ascendancy Launches
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 22, 2017, 08:40 Scottish Martial Arts

Fusey wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 07:21:
I also would sell my first born for a new real NWN game.

I still find it mind-blowing that there was never a 4th Edition DnD CRPG. That version of the game justifiably got a lot of flack from the tabletop community, but a lot of the stuff that pissed off the tabletop crowd would have translated EXTREMELY well to CRPG play. Never happened though, and here we are, 2.5 years into the 5th Ed era -- another great candidate for a CRPG which simultaneously doesn't piss off the tabletop fans -- and still NO FUCKING CRPG VERSIONS!

News Comments > Next Overwatch Hero Greek?
21. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 21, 2017, 11:05 Scottish Martial Arts

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 11:01:
The modern Greek nation has very little to do with the ancient Greeks. They are mostly a Slavic nation that displaced, integrated, murdered or absorbed the native population found in Greece. Not saying that they are undeserving of sympathy for their recent troubles, just that they have basically nothing to do with the ancient Greeks except for living on the same piece of land.

I'm fully aware of that. But the land is still the same, and the language is remarkably unchanged from the koine dialect of Ancient Greece. Modern Greeks are different people by blood from Pericles, Socrates, Sophocles, etc., but they're still more connected to those people of old than any of the rest of us. Only one people can, for a summer's evening entertainment, go see an attic Greek performance of Oedipus sitting in the very same Theater of Dionysus where the exact same play was performed 2400 years ago. Even though Modern Greeks are different ethnically, they're closer to ancient Greek culture than anyone else, simply by virtue of them seeing it and celebrating it as their heritage.

That said, my extra sympathy for modern Greece is probably just sentimentalism on my part.

19. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 21, 2017, 10:22 Scottish Martial Arts

descender wrote on Feb 21, 2017, 10:05:
What is there to even be offended about? The boy-loving part I guess? Greeks sexing up little boys must be one of the oldest jokes in history. Being able to see that they are generally hairy and love olive oil are really weird things to be offended by.

Rereading your comment, not much. I guess just the image of the country being a bunch of unemployed anarchists, while having a grain of truth, rubbed me wrong simply because the country is suffering so much. Not trying to be a killjoy or anything, I think it's just that because I love ancient Greece so much, my heart breaks in proportion for the current state of the country.

Oh well, it's not that important. I fully support you making jokes and sly remarks, so have at it.

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 21, 2017, 09:43 Scottish Martial Arts

NewMaxx wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 23:11:
If that makes me an asshole then - guilty as charged.

Well, if I'm being perfectly honest, I do probably consider anyone who voted for Trump out of genuine support for the guy to be an asshole, but then I'm sure the reverse is probably true for you and other Trump supporters. But outside politics though, you seem like a pretty alright dude NewMaxx. I think the country just needs time to heal after the nation-wide nervous breakdown of the 2016 election. I'll still probably always disagree with you, and other Trump supporters, about our President's merits/competence but hopefully with a few more months we can all just get past it, play some video games together, and go back to the Internet's baseline level of anger/assholery as opposed to what it's been for the past 18 months.

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 21, 2017, 09:34 Scottish Martial Arts

descender wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 17:10:
Jokes?! On the internet?! OH MY GOD!!!

Wasn't offended myself, but if I were Greek I could definitely see how it would feel like being kicked down. On the other hand, I'm a great Hellenophile, read ancient Greek, and generally have a soft spot for those hyper-competitive, but deeply reflective, assholes who got the whole ball of Western Culture rolling. It's a tragedy what modern Greece has become, much of it her fault but with a major assist from the European Central Bank, Germany, and the IMF.

24. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 21, 2017, 00:18 Scottish Martial Arts

Haha, for sure. I'd be up for a beer!

This apartment is on Barrow St, so yeah, if we don't get a beer, then we will surely walk by each other without knowing.

I've definitely got my fingers crossed. There are no major red flags in my finances aside from a few late student loan payments back in 2010, i.e. the middle of the recession. I've offered to just pay the full term of the lease up front in case the landlord has any reservations. My realtor's comment was "unless the landlord is a nut job -- and sadly there are some nutty landlords in NYC -- you'll get the apartment". Things are looking good, but I'll feel a lot better once I have a signed lease in my hands, haha.

19. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 20, 2017, 21:52 Scottish Martial Arts

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 21:33:
Good luck to you.

However, I gotta ask... what price range are we talking about? 'Cause my mostly uninformed guess would be that isn't going to be cheap.

Thanks! It's $3k/month for a 1bd/1bath. Prewar building (so thick, basically sound proof walls) but renovated in the last two years with a full galley kitchen (with granite counters, stainless steel appliances, etc.), well configured and spacious (by New York standards) living room, high ceilings, lots of natural light, beautiful courtyard, and a prime location in Manhattan's most desirable residential neighborhood. Square footage isn't great, but it's New York after all, and I won't have roommates/spouse/etc.. For what I'm getting, the rent is a relative steal. The realtor seemed to think my chances of getting it were excellent: I should get the thumbs up/down from the landlord by end of day tomorrow.

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 20, 2017, 20:52 Scottish Martial Arts

Spent most of today touring and applying for a super awesome West Village apartment in Manhattan. It's looking very likely that I'll get it. Keep you fingers crossed for me guys, haha!  

21. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 15, 2017, 18:28 Scottish Martial Arts

Kxmode wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 15:20:
Movies are released on video so fast. I saw an ad for Dr. Strange coming February 28. 3-4 months ago it was released in theaters (October 20, 2016). 3-4 months is about the same time for Star Wars TFA (In theaters December 17, 2015, released on DVD April 1, 2016) I wonder if this is an industry practice or something exclusive to Disney considering they own so many large IPs (LucasFilm, Marvel, Pixar, etc.)

It's fairly standard industry practice these days, but is new as of the past few years. Probably a response to declining cinema sales and to piracy, i.e. movies have shorter theater runs and the longer they sit around unavailable, the more likely people will turn to piracy.

23. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 3, 2017, 16:26 Scottish Martial Arts

BobBob wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 16:10:
Is there a way to test the computer to see if I'm running out of physical RAM in real time? Any kind of alert utility?

Task Manager has a tab which shows memory usage.

14. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 2, 2017, 13:29 Scottish Martial Arts

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 09:39:
Thank you Boston Dynamics. Within 20 years all Amazon/Fed Ex/UPS employee's will be out of a job (except for delivery)!

*really wants the robotic dog*

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how society handles the resulting economic, social, and cultural dislocation as more and more workers become unnecessary. Videos like this really make me wonder what planet -- or more accurately what era -- people think they're living on when rural and blue collar people ask the right-wing authoritarian populist movements sweeping the West to bring back "the good factory jobs". Nostalgia for the mid-20th century industrial economy can't un-invent technology. We need to start acknowledging that the 21st century is rapidly moving towards the end of mass employment if we're ever going to solve the problems which that end is creating.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Launches Consumer Products Division
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 1, 2017, 10:27 Scottish Martial Arts

nin wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 10:13:
Creston wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 10:03:
:-yawn-:

Creston! Start your day with a delicious bowl of Ironforge-Os (R TM) cereal! Forged vitamins and minerals to help you farm materials the whole day! (Exclusive code for Hearthstone card back inside specially marked packages!)

If there's a Warcraft themed toy at the bottom of the box, I am totally on board.

57. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 30, 2017, 11:44 Scottish Martial Arts

Well that escalated quickly.  

3169 Comments. 159 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo