Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 3244 (Veteran)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield V Beta Opens
26. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 7, 2018, 08:18 Scottish Martial Arts

Slick wrote on Sep 7, 2018, 06:19:
You're joking right? "Its hard to know who to shoot at cause of the skins"??

It's happened to me once or twice. In most cases, you're absolutely right that the class icon makes it clear who is on whose team. Occasionally though you have to make a snap reaction in areas with blind spots and the fact that there is no consistent color or outline differences between the teams makes instinctual recognition harder. This generally just means you waste a few rounds on an unharmable teammate however.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 7, 2018, 08:09 Scottish Martial Arts

Osc8r wrote on Sep 7, 2018, 04:27:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 6, 2018, 19:10:
Thanks mate, appreciate it. I hated BF1, loved BF4... so this will be a hard pass. Don't think I can even be assed to try the Beta at this point.

You may as well give the beta a shot since it will probably be the only opportunity to try it for free, at least while there is still an active player base. No guarantees you'll like it, as it is very similar in feel to BF1 though.

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 6, 2018, 18:38 Scottish Martial Arts

I've played a couple of rounds and I'd agree that this is basically Battlefield 1 with a WW2 reskin. However, in my case, I really enjoyed Battlefield 1 so I'm basically happy with the gameplay.

That said, I just can't get my head around the mix and max uniforms and the "diverse" player models. What were they going for exactly? Because the German female soldier showcased on one of the loading screen, with her fitted field jacket and oh so stylish feldwebel's soft cap, looks and feels like some sort of Nazi cosplay. It was equally bizarre to realize a sniper squadmate participating in the UK's ill-fated Norwegian Expedition in early 1940 was an... Asian woman? Dressed like Zefram Cochran? I'm not opposed in the least for representative player model's in a modern shooter setting, but at least as implemented here, it comes off as very strange and jarring in a WW2 setting, particularly with player clothing that look more like costumes than uniforms. The result is a player character design that I don't grok and actively have to ignore while playing.

News Comments > Riot Commits to Change
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 29, 2018, 19:40 Scottish Martial Arts

Sepharo wrote on Aug 29, 2018, 19:31:
Striving for a workplace free from sexism and harassment... a bad thing according to many posters here.
Glad I don't work with y'all.

Seriously. It makes me wonder how many of them have ever held a professional, white-collar job, which game development most definitely is even if the uniform is less suit and tie and more hoodie and cargo shorts.

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 29, 2018, 19:37 Scottish Martial Arts

dubfanatic wrote on Aug 29, 2018, 19:21:
What you're describing is already illegal, or if not strictly illegal is a legitimate firing offense. But instead of punishing the offender they bring in catlady scolds to police every social interaction. It's the equivalent of bringing in a hazmat team to respond to a broken fluorescent light. But that's the point. SJWism is a totalitarian ideology.

Maybe that would work if we were talking about a single, isolated incident. But when we're talking about a broader company culture that tolerates such behavior as normal, and treats attempts to change it as being a killjoy or bad culture fit, then I'm not sure an occasional sacrificial firing would work to clean the company, and its reputation, up. All I have to go on is the reporting of the last few months, but based upon that Riot sounds like a fucking gross workplace that I would never, ever, respond to a recruiter for. Riot's reputation has taken a huge hit in recent months, and if they don't want their talent pipeline to dry up they have to do something, and probably something major, to rehabilitate their image.

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 29, 2018, 19:14 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Aug 29, 2018, 19:08:
And what's wrong with that? It's a joke. Lighten the fuck up already. People losing their jobs simply because they say something that someone else finds offensive? That's fucking insane! That's PC bullshit out of control. That's downright Orwellian. What next? Re-education camps and torture until people think "correctly"? Doubleplus good, comrade!

So you'd be cool if your boss started hitting on your girlfriend "as a joke"? I mean its just a joke right? Can't you take a joke? Loosen up, man. I'd hate for your lack of humor and poor culture fit to have to come up in your next performance review.

(This response is based upon one of the incidents described in the articles on Riot's work culture. If you guys would want to work in such an environment, be my guest, but I sure as fuck wouldn't.)

News Comments > NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 20, 2018, 14:31 Scottish Martial Arts

This may qualify as a fit of temporary insanity, but I just preordered the 2080 Ti. Yay!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 12, 2018, 16:38 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2018, 14:36:
He would have been a great Bond but he's too old for it now. Craig is too old for it now too. I think the 30's is the right age for Bond, 35'ish +/-.

I actually agree with Cutter on something.

I'd still be willing to give Idris Elba a shot as Bond, but the greying of his beard makes him look every one of his 45 years. I think he could at least do two films before completely aging out of the role, possibly one or two more. And given what he could bring to the role, that might be worth it.

The Bond character has traditionally been a product of a "posh" upbringing, and while that made sense in 1950s Britain, a Bond type government agent of the 2010s or 2020s would not have had such a background. Instead, the type of British men who have had the life experience to fulfill the role of Her Majesty's foremost assassin today would be veterans of the SAS and SBS, most of whom come from lower and working class backgrounds. Elba has that working class background, and is capable of the requisite hardness you'd expect of an SAS sergeant, yet he still exudes an acquired elegance and polish. In other words, he'd be perfect for the role, especially 10 years ago.

News Comments > Bethesda Blocks Used Game Sale
66. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 12, 2018, 14:33 Scottish Martial Arts

Wraith wrote on Aug 12, 2018, 13:14:
[
Apparently it is to you, because you completely failed to grasp the point.

No, I understand your argument just fine. But given your response to my remarks, and your confusion of "Moral Hazard" with "Negative Externality" in a previous post, I do question how much you understand what you read.

The media is the mechanism for delivery. What you're actually purchasing is the experience.

Good I'm glad we're in agreement and I thank you for recapitulating what I just said.

The only people who should - in both a moral and an economic sense - have the opportunity to sell that experience are those who invested the resources to create it.

This does not follow.

An author does not stand on a street corner selling photocopied manuscripts of his own book. He sells the publication rights to his work to a publisher, and collects a royalty based upon copies sold. The publisher in turn contracts a printer to actually physically print the books, and a distributor to get them to store shelves. A store in turn actually merchandises and sells the book to an end consumer. At each step along the way, people who are not the author make money on the production, distribution, and sale of an experience they had no hand in creating. This bears repeating: only the author created the experience contained within the book (with maybe an assist from an editor at the publisher) but many, many other people make money off of the sale of that experience.

Additionally, in the United States at least, copyright law has evolved such that the aforementioned chain of companies and individuals are only entitled to the proceeds of the first sale of the media which contains the copyrighted experience. In other words, our hypothetical author can and should enforce his copyright and the requirement that he be paid what he is contractually due, up until the point that a copy of his book is sold to a customer. Thereafter, the customer can lend that copy of the book to friends and family, donate it to a library, or sell it on the used book market, and copyright law (in the US) makes clear that the author cannot claim any money that results from that secondary sale.

Without enforcing that restriction, creators don't get paid.

Yes, they do. They get paid whatever they are contractually obligated to be paid when they negotiated their publication agreement. Typically, more well known and popular creators can command higher leverage, and therefore higher advances, royalties, etc., when negotiating such contracts. Very, very few creators earn 100% of the proceeds of their creation, and yet the developed world has been able to provide a livelihood for successful creators since the advent of the printing press.

You are confusing other parties having a claim on the proceeds of a sale (whether first sale or on the secondary used market) with the author or creator not being paid at all. The former is the reality, the latter is your fantasy. It would be nice from a creator's perspective if he were the only one to realize the proceeds of a sale, but it is neither necessary for him to make a living, nor how it works in practice.

And when creators don't get paid, they go broke and stop creating. Does some light begin to dawn? Please tell me I don't have to break it down further.

But, creators do get paid. In the case of the copy of the Bethesda game in the OP, the secondary seller bought a new copy of the game at retail for the full retail price. Whatever royalty the developers are contractually obligated to receive for that sale, they will receive (unless their publisher tries to cheat them of royalty payments, but that's another issue entirely). By doctrine of first sale, the owner of that copy of the game can then legally sell the game on the secondary market.

Conceivably, a purchase on the secondary market could be considered a lost sale for the developer, but a secondary sale is only comparable to a first sale if they were to cost the same price. But games, and other media, on the secondary market always go for less than a sealed, new copy purchased at retail. That means the buyer in the secondary sale WAS NOT WILLING TO PAY FULL PRICE, and therefore cannot be considered a lost sale to the developer, at least not until time has passed and the game has been marked down at retail.

The regime which you are advocating, in which developers/creators can veto secondary sales of their work does not exist (at least in the US). Nor are creators cheated of what they are legally due by secondary sales: secondary sales can only occur after the first sale has occurred, and creators are only entitled to the proceeds of the first sale. Now, you can argue that creators deserve a bigger share of the proceeds of their sales, and I would probably agree with you. But it is absurd to argue that creators are the only ones that deserve any share: a lot of work that isn't creation goes into selling a created experience to a buyer, and that work has to be compensated too. And it is further absurd to argue that creators cannot make a living without receiving 100% of the proceeds of their sales, because the system you rail against is the one we've had for centuries, and yet a great many creators have made a living under it.

News Comments > Bethesda Blocks Used Game Sale
52. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 12, 2018, 11:29 Scottish Martial Arts

Wraith wrote on Aug 11, 2018, 16:52:
Used games are a moral hazard which explicitly steals from development teams. Comprehending the nuances requires a brain, a set of ethics and long term vision.

Dude, get over yourself: your argument isn't that fucking complicated or nuanced. Your argument just comes down to whether the purchase of media is the purchase of the media itself or the purchase of the contents of that media, i.e. the experience and/or ideas, and what that implies for reselling.

To my mind, the purchase of media is primarily about the purchase of what the media contains, and this holds for "legacy" media like books and DVDs, just as much as it holds for video games. The fact that you can purchase digital copies of the former just as easily as of the latter implies as much. Yes, collectors can seek out pieces of media for the pleasure of possessing the physical artifact, but that is just as true of video games as it is of any other media: haven't you ever heard of a collector's edition for a video game? Given that first-sale doctrine applies to the resale of media, and given that video games aren't appreciably different from any other media in this regard, then there is no particular reason to hold used games sales to a different standard than the sale of any other media.

The issue with your argument isn't that it's too nuanced: it's that it tries to make an unjustified distinction.

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Gameplay Trailer
21. Re: DOOM Eternal Gameplay Trailer Aug 11, 2018, 09:50 Scottish Martial Arts

*reads thread*

*sees people complaining about the music of the game which featured BFG Division*

*wonders what the world is coming to*

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
19. Re: How to lose your job Jul 21, 2018, 12:54 Scottish Martial Arts

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 21, 2018, 12:09:
snip

No, I'm mocking you because you aren't worth arguing with.

You just accused me of lying. I have made two concrete claims in this thread: that Donald Trump engages in projection, and that Donald Trump engages in "whattaboutism". How many examples do you require of this behavior before we establish that those claims are true? Because the examples are nearly infinite, from "No puppet. No puppet. You're a puppet!" (2nd 2016 Presidential Debate) to "I hold both countries responsibility. I think the United States has been foolish. I think we have all been foolish." (Helsinki Press Conference, when asked what he holds Russia responsible for). If you want to argue that Trump DOESN'T engage in this sort of behavior, there are a whole hell of a lot of examples of it you'll have to explain away.

So no, I'm not a liar. An asshole who looks down on you, probably, yeah, but not a liar.

As for your questions, I had briefly started to engage in a point by point rebuttal -- from your rhetorical conflation of Antifa with anyone who opposes Trump, to the immigration policies of the Clinton, Bush II, and Obama administrations, to Jeff Sessions hailing of family separation and detention as a great deterrent, to the Obama war record, to your unsupported accusations of racism and bullying -- but a couple paragraphs in I realized I was wasting my time arguing with someone who had no interest in being persuaded. Since you are unpersuadable, I am under no obligation to actually engage with your facile arguments. Since you're obnoxious in your accusations of dishonesty, hypocrisy, war mongering, racism, and bullying, I do however feel compelled to mock you.

You're free to hold whatever shitty, misguided, poorly thought-out opinion you want. But if you want to jump in the arena, don't cry foul if others try to hold you to account for those opinions, snowflake.

13. Re: How to lose your job Jul 21, 2018, 11:18 Scottish Martial Arts

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 21, 2018, 10:05:
*snip*

That audacity to talk about projection...

Just because the Dear Leader can never defend or justify his position directly and can only make "whaddabout" attacks, doesn't mean his cult followers need to also.

You drank the kool-aid: tell me how sweet it tastes, not how overpriced and overrated you think my pour-over coffee is.

10. Re: How to lose your job Jul 21, 2018, 09:35 Scottish Martial Arts

Luke wrote on Jul 21, 2018, 04:35:
And the trump haters just keeeeep digging holes .........for them self bunch and kindergarten bullies

Just because the Dear Leader constantly engages in projection doesn’t mean his cult followers need to too.

News Comments > A Typo Broke Aliens Colonial Marines AI?
32. Re: GeForce Drivers for Fallout 4, Legacy of the Void, & Battlefront Jul 15, 2018, 13:04 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2018, 12:17:
And if it's that easy to to fuck it up it doesn't bode well at all, does it? Something that's obviously gone over the heads of a few of the idiots here. No surprise there.

I was going to leave it at a snide remark, but since you persist in confidently spouting off about a topic on which you are completely ignorant, I feel compelled to reply.

tl;dr: No, there is nothing about this configuration error which suggests that current and prospective AI techniques and applications are inherently dangerous.

This bug was a result of a typo in a configuration file. In commercial and scientific applications of AI, configuration files are typically used to configure the project's build system, or to configure a distributed system processing job for training your AI agent. In both cases, a configuration file error will lead to the tasks failing: either your system doesn't build, or your training job doesn't end in usable output. Even if we assumed for the sake of argument that such an error doesn't lead to immediate failure, there is simply no risk of the AI becoming SkyNet because that is not within the domain of what build systems and batch job systems do.

Let's now suppose that the error was in the source code of your AI system. For our purposes we can divide programming languages -- which are the tools that express a computation for a computer to run -- into two categories: compiled and interpreted. If source code for a compiled language had the aforementioned error, it would fail to compile and never reach a runnable/executable unless the error is found and fixed first. Fortunately that would be very easy to do, because a modern compiler will give you the line and character number at which the error occurred, and very likely will even prompt a known identifier that is a short edit distance away, e.g. "did you mean Anchor instead of Ancher?" In an interpreted language, the program would run until it reaches the line with the type, at which time the unknown identifier will trigger a runtime exception, bringing everything to a screeching halt, terminating the program with a failure.

Finally, if we assume for the sake of argument that the typo was in the training or evaluation data for our AI agent, we again have nothing to worry about. One erroneous data point will not significantly alter the weights of the model that the AI agent uses for its "intelligence". Even if it did, the outputs of the model are still programmer defined and controlled: the programmer defines the range or categories of output and then lets the AI produce the output within those categories/ranges. You define the potential output values, even if you don't know which value the AI will pick; unless you define a value of "KILL_ALL_HUMANS", the AI is never going to spontaneously produce such a value. Finally, a significant component of data science and AI engineering is cleaning heterogenous data and preprocessing your data so as to produce useful inputs (feature engineering). Even though we've already established that an erroneous data point is meaningless for the success of the model, it is entirely possible that your data cleaning and feature engineering efforts will correct for a typo so that the data point still ends up being useful for you AI's model.

In short, Cutter, you are an ignorant, overweight, middle-aged bartender who is completely out of his depth and could stand to show some fucking intellectual humility for once.

22. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 14, 2018, 23:06 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Jul 14, 2018, 18:37:
If a single letter in a line of code can do that then what's coming down the pipe for the world with all this "AI" that's supposedly on the way? Doesn't sound very intelligent to me to begin with.

Gee, I bet no one who does AI research or uses AI in software engineering has ever considered that software can have bugs!

21. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 14, 2018, 23:04 Scottish Martial Arts

The Magician wrote on Jul 14, 2018, 15:08:
… unit testing was pretty much unheard of in games when I last worked in the industry, 5 years ago, around the time this game came out. Maybe the really big studios had done some work with test driven stuff, but for almost everyone then, and I'd assume now still, writing tests is likely considered a waste of time, if it doesn't end up in the shipping product, it doesn't get written.

I always wonder what would happen if the game industry adopted modern testing best practices/TDD. I generally stick to TDD and the "write tests until code fails/write code until tests pass/refactor code while maintaining test pass" loop in my work and whenever I deviate from that my velocity and code quality both drop. Partly that's because I only skip writing a test first when I don't fully understand what I'm doing. But my code quality and output also drop because just plowing ahead allows errors to accumulate undetected, which makes them progressively harder to track down and fix when they are finally detected, and my design gets continually uglier and hackier because the whole edifice gets too fragile to refactor without breaking everything.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
26. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 13, 2018, 18:09 Scottish Martial Arts

christheshitter wrote on Jul 13, 2018, 17:46:
If only the RAM-prices will go down i am pretty sure it will gain again. Ultraportables and similar is shit compared to their desktop counter parts.

Only with respect to gaming performance. I work for a major tech company and when colleagues find out that I have a high end desktop at home, most consider it a bit of a novelty: the vast majority of my colleagues just own a laptop for their personal PC. If software engineers working for a tech company with a gaming-friendly employee culture (i.e. nerds) aren't buying desktops, you can bet that normies aren't buying them either. Partly, that's because for non-gaming related purposes, a laptop or hybrid fulfills 98% of the population's computing needs much more flexibly and simply than a desktop.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 28, 2018, 13:08 Scottish Martial Arts

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Jun 28, 2018, 11:24:
$100,000,000,000. Ohhh I must be old because I remember when a company had to make something.

You've never heard of companies offering services?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 21, 2018, 18:09 Scottish Martial Arts

Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 15:38:
I mean, when was the last time a GOOD Alien movie came out? I'm pretty sure it was 1986.

I maintain that Alien 3 was a genuinely good movie. It just wasn't at all what the fans of Aliens wanted. Had it been released as its own movie independent from the Alien franchise, it very likely would have had the kind of sci-fi cult following that attached to movies like Pitch Black. It was a David Fincher (Fight Club, Zodiac, Gone Girl, etc.) film after all.

3244 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo