Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 3230 (Veteran)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > A Typo Broke Aliens Colonial Marines AI?
32. Re: GeForce Drivers for Fallout 4, Legacy of the Void, & Battlefront Jul 15, 2018, 13:04 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2018, 12:17:
And if it's that easy to to fuck it up it doesn't bode well at all, does it? Something that's obviously gone over the heads of a few of the idiots here. No surprise there.

I was going to leave it at a snide remark, but since you persist in confidently spouting off about a topic on which you are completely ignorant, I feel compelled to reply.

tl;dr: No, there is nothing about this configuration error which suggests that current and prospective AI techniques and applications are inherently dangerous.

This bug was a result of a typo in a configuration file. In commercial and scientific applications of AI, configuration files are typically used to configure the project's build system, or to configure a distributed system processing job for training your AI agent. In both cases, a configuration file error will lead to the tasks failing: either your system doesn't build, or your training job doesn't end in usable output. Even if we assumed for the sake of argument that such an error doesn't lead to immediate failure, there is simply no risk of the AI becoming SkyNet because that is not within the domain of what build systems and batch job systems do.

Let's now suppose that the error was in the source code of your AI system. For our purposes we can divide programming languages -- which are the tools that express a computation for a computer to run -- into two categories: compiled and interpreted. If source code for a compiled language had the aforementioned error, it would fail to compile and never reach a runnable/executable unless the error is found and fixed first. Fortunately that would be very easy to do, because a modern compiler will give you the line and character number at which the error occurred, and very likely will even prompt a known identifier that is a short edit distance away, e.g. "did you mean Anchor instead of Ancher?" In an interpreted language, the program would run until it reaches the line with the type, at which time the unknown identifier will trigger a runtime exception, bringing everything to a screeching halt, terminating the program with a failure.

Finally, if we assume for the sake of argument that the typo was in the training or evaluation data for our AI agent, we again have nothing to worry about. One erroneous data point will not significantly alter the weights of the model that the AI agent uses for its "intelligence". Even if it did, the outputs of the model are still programmer defined and controlled: the programmer defines the range or categories of output and then lets the AI produce the output within those categories/ranges. You define the potential output values, even if you don't know which value the AI will pick; unless you define a value of "KILL_ALL_HUMANS", the AI is never going to spontaneously produce such a value. Finally, a significant component of data science and AI engineering is cleaning heterogenous data and preprocessing your data so as to produce useful inputs (feature engineering). Even though we've already established that an erroneous data point is meaningless for the success of the model, it is entirely possible that your data cleaning and feature engineering efforts will correct for a typo so that the data point still ends up being useful for you AI's model.

In short, Cutter, you are an ignorant, overweight, middle-aged bartender who is completely out of his depth and could stand to show some fucking intellectual humility for once.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 14, 2018, 23:06 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Jul 14, 2018, 18:37:
If a single letter in a line of code can do that then what's coming down the pipe for the world with all this "AI" that's supposedly on the way? Doesn't sound very intelligent to me to begin with.

Gee, I bet no one who does AI research or uses AI in software engineering has ever considered that software can have bugs!

21. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 14, 2018, 23:04 Scottish Martial Arts

The Magician wrote on Jul 14, 2018, 15:08:
unit testing was pretty much unheard of in games when I last worked in the industry, 5 years ago, around the time this game came out. Maybe the really big studios had done some work with test driven stuff, but for almost everyone then, and I'd assume now still, writing tests is likely considered a waste of time, if it doesn't end up in the shipping product, it doesn't get written.

I always wonder what would happen if the game industry adopted modern testing best practices/TDD. I generally stick to TDD and the "write tests until code fails/write code until tests pass/refactor code while maintaining test pass" loop in my work and whenever I deviate from that my velocity and code quality both drop. Partly that's because I only skip writing a test first when I don't fully understand what I'm doing. But my code quality and output also drop because just plowing ahead allows errors to accumulate undetected, which makes them progressively harder to track down and fix when they are finally detected, and my design gets continually uglier and hackier because the whole edifice gets too fragile to refactor without breaking everything.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
26. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 13, 2018, 18:09 Scottish Martial Arts

christheshitter wrote on Jul 13, 2018, 17:46:
If only the RAM-prices will go down i am pretty sure it will gain again. Ultraportables and similar is shit compared to their desktop counter parts.

Only with respect to gaming performance. I work for a major tech company and when colleagues find out that I have a high end desktop at home, most consider it a bit of a novelty: the vast majority of my colleagues just own a laptop for their personal PC. If software engineers working for a tech company with a gaming-friendly employee culture (i.e. nerds) aren't buying desktops, you can bet that normies aren't buying them either. Partly, that's because for non-gaming related purposes, a laptop or hybrid fulfills 98% of the population's computing needs much more flexibly and simply than a desktop.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 28, 2018, 13:08 Scottish Martial Arts

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Jun 28, 2018, 11:24:
$100,000,000,000. Ohhh I must be old because I remember when a company had to make something.

You've never heard of companies offering services?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 21, 2018, 18:09 Scottish Martial Arts

Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 15:38:
I mean, when was the last time a GOOD Alien movie came out? I'm pretty sure it was 1986.

I maintain that Alien 3 was a genuinely good movie. It just wasn't at all what the fans of Aliens wanted. Had it been released as its own movie independent from the Alien franchise, it very likely would have had the kind of sci-fi cult following that attached to movies like Pitch Black. It was a David Fincher (Fight Club, Zodiac, Gone Girl, etc.) film after all.

News Comments > Into the Black
24. Re: Into the Black Jun 21, 2018, 17:45 Scottish Martial Arts

Cram wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 12:18:

Scientist Man for President.

I'm particularly fond of the one where Scientist Man explains the state of the Terminator film franchise timeline.

23. Re: Into the Black Jun 21, 2018, 17:44 Scottish Martial Arts

They're not reasonable for Star Wars, though.

The box office sales or the budget numbers? I agree that the box office sales are well below expectation for a Star Wars movie. However, what I had intended to communicate with my imprecise phrasing was that the budget numbers I quoted may not be 100% accurate, but at the least are reasonable estimates that imply that Solo is indeed on track to lose hundreds of millions of dollars for Disney. A loss in the hundreds of millions is, as you note, not a reasonable outcome for a Star Wars film.

16. Re: Into the Black Jun 21, 2018, 09:28 Scottish Martial Arts

Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 08:56:
Yeah, clearly $350 million box office for Solo, released in the summer schedule, was just TERRIBLE. Rolleyes

It's on track to lose several hundred million dollars. $350 in theater sales isn't much when compared to a $250 million original budget + $200 million reshoot budget + $150 million marketing budget. (I'm taking those numbers from a YouTube film critic's video, so they may not be 100% accurate. Regardless, they are reasonable numbers for modern big-franchise films with troubled productions, which Solo definitely was.)

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 17, 2018, 16:16 Scottish Martial Arts

DangerDog wrote on Jun 17, 2018, 14:41:
As long as I live I don't think I'll ever get why anyone would be interested in watching people competitively playing video games.

Have you tried watching speed running? I too don't enjoy watching competitive gaming, but speed running is kind of distinct. There's only the player's screen to account for, so unlike competitive Starcraft or Counterstrike you can see the entirety of the action the entire time. When you've played the game being run, it's quite the treat to see someone utterly destroy levels/stages/monsters that you may have struggled on, particularly if the game was hard to begin with. Runs that depend upon glitches are less interesting, obviously, but there are plenty of categories which ban their use.

News Comments > Battlefield V in October
46. Re: Morning Mobilization May 24, 2018, 19:51 Scottish Martial Arts

While not a huge deal, the female character does rub me the wrong way. I played quite a bit of Battlefield I, and I genuinely liked that the Russians had female soldiers, that the Ottomans were a playable army, and that the Brits, French, and Germans had soldiers from their respective colonial possessions (such as India, Senegal, etc.). Here though, the robot armed English sniper lady is simply ahistorical in a way that makes suspension of disbelief a lot harder than the relative number of Senegalese that would spawn for the French Army or women that would spawn for Russia in BF1. The Brits actually subjected women to the draft during WWII, and were the only nation to do so to my knowledge, but British women service members never came close to serving in an infantry or army combat arms role; think radar operators and air traffic controllers, not snipers.

Had this been a Soviet sniper, or better yet a Sturmovik pilot, I'd be all for it, but as is this is just ahistorical and kinda dumb.

News Comments > DCS World 2.5 Released
9. Re: DCS World 2.5 Released Apr 8, 2018, 20:28 Scottish Martial Arts

Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2018, 18:55:
I mean, this looks amazing, but every single thing to buy costs like 60, 70 bucks? 70 bucks for a single plane? wtf?

Each plane is effectively its own stand alone game with tutorials, missions, and campaigns, and in fact up until about 5 years ago that's how the DCS series was sold. The games all shared a core technology base however, and so DCS World was made to allow all DCS releases to coexist in a single executable. Not every plane is equally worthwhile in my opinion, but some of the better ones, like A-10C, MiG-21Bis, or Ka-50 will easily keep you busy for 100 hours per plane.

News Comments > Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 7, 2018, 22:26 Scottish Martial Arts

Cyant wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 21:36:

And they use that to only allow running software comming from their server. Hence DRM...

If you think the presence of a security certificate is DRM, then you are not technically literate enough to run custom firmware/system software on an Oculus Rift.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 3, 2018, 08:04 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 11:36:
Good. Hope all these lawsuits against Google start getting very expensive for them. This racism and bigotry against white men has to stop.

My present team mates: 2 white males, 1 south asian male.

My manager: white male.

My tech lead: white male.

My engineering director: white male.

My VPs in the reporting chain up to Sundar: all white males.

Non white males in my team group: two asian males, one white female.

My previous team: three white males, three asian males.

My previous engineering director: asian male.

Number of non-white male VPs in my previous product area: 0.

Number of non-white or asian males I have directly worked with: 3.

I am not detecting a pattern of racism and bigotry against white men here... It's almost like the published diversity statistics which show that tech companies are overwhelmingly white or asian and male are born out by experience.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 2, 2018, 11:02 Scottish Martial Arts

Jagacademy wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 10:47:
This is why I don't buy a Switch. One week later you're done with Zelda and Mario, and then you have nothing left to play but several year old games from other systems.

Budget more like two months for Zelda and don't forget Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, and Mario + Rabbids. Once your done with those, you still have what's probably the best platform for multiplatform indie games like Stardew Valley, Owlboy, Celeste, Axiom Verge, etc.

I've had my Switch since August and I have never felt like I've lacked quality games to play. It could use more third party AAA titles targeted specifically for the Switch, but given how popular the system is, I would assume such titles will eventually start appearing.

News Comments > Bullet Train Pulls Out of CPAC
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 26, 2018, 05:01 Scottish Martial Arts

Ozmodan wrote on Feb 25, 2018, 20:25:
And the democratic version is just as bad, full of the same rich assholes.

There isn't a Democratic/Liberal version of the Conservative Political Action Conference. Also, while there are wealthy attendees, CPAC is a convention for the grass roots true believers of the Conservative Movement -- i.e. the specific political network of activists, think tanks, publications, and politicians, that really only got started in the 1960s under William F. Buckley's leadership -- and as a consequence the conference itself is made up of a broad cross section of the Conservative movement.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 15, 2018, 09:28 Scottish Martial Arts

Nimh wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 08:13:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 08:04:
Nimh wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 07:47:
The Agile manifesto has ruined silicon valley. Testing? Pffft.. ship now, patch later.

Uh, test-driven development is kind of integral to Agile.

Yup, tested by the consumer.

A) Again, Test-Driven Development (TDD) is integral to Agile methodologies. Typically, TDD (in Agile or otherwise) loops tightly and iteratively between writing tests until production code fails, and writing code until it passes tests again. TDD isn't perfect, but it's generally agreed to be superior to the alternative of having graduated phases of design, implementation, and testing, wherein testing doesn't happen until after you're ostensibly done implementing the software.

B) Apple's software engineering practices are still very 90s big corporation-y, according to my colleagues who are former Apple engineers. That means low test-coverage, heavy middle management overhead, and fixed designs and deadlines. In other words, the embodiment of practices that the Agile Manifesto sought to fight against.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 15, 2018, 08:04 Scottish Martial Arts

Nimh wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 07:47:
The Agile manifesto has ruined silicon valley. Testing? Pffft.. ship now, patch later.

Uh, test-driven development is kind of integral to Agile.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 14, 2018, 10:47 Scottish Martial Arts

Prez wrote on Feb 14, 2018, 10:25:
To hell with Call of Duty movies - I want Sicario 2. LOVED the first one. Emily Blunt, Brolin, and Del Toro were fucking brilliant.

Different director with an unimpressive resume so I wouldn't hold my breath for it to actually be good.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Why Linux is better than Windows or macOS for security Feb 10, 2018, 18:06 Scottish Martial Arts

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 10, 2018, 14:30:
Also, free improvements to our favorite software for which we don't have to buy "versions" to receive.

Mac OS and software updates are all free as well. I go back and forth on whether I prefer Linux or macOS, but this is one virtue that they share.

3230 Comments. 162 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo