Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 3219 (Veteran)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > DCS World 2.5 Released
9. Re: DCS World 2.5 Released Apr 8, 2018, 20:28 Scottish Martial Arts

Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2018, 18:55:
I mean, this looks amazing, but every single thing to buy costs like 60, 70 bucks? 70 bucks for a single plane? wtf?

Each plane is effectively its own stand alone game with tutorials, missions, and campaigns, and in fact up until about 5 years ago that's how the DCS series was sold. The games all shared a core technology base however, and so DCS World was made to allow all DCS releases to coexist in a single executable. Not every plane is equally worthwhile in my opinion, but some of the better ones, like A-10C, MiG-21Bis, or Ka-50 will easily keep you busy for 100 hours per plane.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 7, 2018, 22:26 Scottish Martial Arts

Cyant wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 21:36:

And they use that to only allow running software comming from their server. Hence DRM...

If you think the presence of a security certificate is DRM, then you are not technically literate enough to run custom firmware/system software on an Oculus Rift.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 3, 2018, 08:04 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 11:36:
Good. Hope all these lawsuits against Google start getting very expensive for them. This racism and bigotry against white men has to stop.

My present team mates: 2 white males, 1 south asian male.

My manager: white male.

My tech lead: white male.

My engineering director: white male.

My VPs in the reporting chain up to Sundar: all white males.

Non white males in my team group: two asian males, one white female.

My previous team: three white males, three asian males.

My previous engineering director: asian male.

Number of non-white male VPs in my previous product area: 0.

Number of non-white or asian males I have directly worked with: 3.

I am not detecting a pattern of racism and bigotry against white men here... It's almost like the published diversity statistics which show that tech companies are overwhelmingly white or asian and male are born out by experience.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 2, 2018, 11:02 Scottish Martial Arts

Jagacademy wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 10:47:
This is why I don't buy a Switch. One week later you're done with Zelda and Mario, and then you have nothing left to play but several year old games from other systems.

Budget more like two months for Zelda and don't forget Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, and Mario + Rabbids. Once your done with those, you still have what's probably the best platform for multiplatform indie games like Stardew Valley, Owlboy, Celeste, Axiom Verge, etc.

I've had my Switch since August and I have never felt like I've lacked quality games to play. It could use more third party AAA titles targeted specifically for the Switch, but given how popular the system is, I would assume such titles will eventually start appearing.

News Comments > Bullet Train Pulls Out of CPAC
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 26, 2018, 05:01 Scottish Martial Arts

Ozmodan wrote on Feb 25, 2018, 20:25:
And the democratic version is just as bad, full of the same rich assholes.

There isn't a Democratic/Liberal version of the Conservative Political Action Conference. Also, while there are wealthy attendees, CPAC is a convention for the grass roots true believers of the Conservative Movement -- i.e. the specific political network of activists, think tanks, publications, and politicians, that really only got started in the 1960s under William F. Buckley's leadership -- and as a consequence the conference itself is made up of a broad cross section of the Conservative movement.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 15, 2018, 09:28 Scottish Martial Arts

Nimh wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 08:13:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 08:04:
Nimh wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 07:47:
The Agile manifesto has ruined silicon valley. Testing? Pffft.. ship now, patch later.

Uh, test-driven development is kind of integral to Agile.

Yup, tested by the consumer.

A) Again, Test-Driven Development (TDD) is integral to Agile methodologies. Typically, TDD (in Agile or otherwise) loops tightly and iteratively between writing tests until production code fails, and writing code until it passes tests again. TDD isn't perfect, but it's generally agreed to be superior to the alternative of having graduated phases of design, implementation, and testing, wherein testing doesn't happen until after you're ostensibly done implementing the software.

B) Apple's software engineering practices are still very 90s big corporation-y, according to my colleagues who are former Apple engineers. That means low test-coverage, heavy middle management overhead, and fixed designs and deadlines. In other words, the embodiment of practices that the Agile Manifesto sought to fight against.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 15, 2018, 08:04 Scottish Martial Arts

Nimh wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 07:47:
The Agile manifesto has ruined silicon valley. Testing? Pffft.. ship now, patch later.

Uh, test-driven development is kind of integral to Agile.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 14, 2018, 10:47 Scottish Martial Arts

Prez wrote on Feb 14, 2018, 10:25:
To hell with Call of Duty movies - I want Sicario 2. LOVED the first one. Emily Blunt, Brolin, and Del Toro were fucking brilliant.

Different director with an unimpressive resume so I wouldn't hold my breath for it to actually be good.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Why Linux is better than Windows or macOS for security Feb 10, 2018, 18:06 Scottish Martial Arts

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 10, 2018, 14:30:
Also, free improvements to our favorite software for which we don't have to buy "versions" to receive.

Mac OS and software updates are all free as well. I go back and forth on whether I prefer Linux or macOS, but this is one virtue that they share.

News Comments > EA versus Battlefield 1 Cheaters
18. Re: EA versus Battlefield 1 Cheaters Feb 7, 2018, 06:36 Scottish Martial Arts

mxmissile wrote on Feb 6, 2018, 16:47:
so glad I dont play these shit EA / Dice rehash games... just sit back and lol

I've skipped a lot of DICE games in recent years but Battlefield 1 is an excellent game...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 15, 2018, 20:34 Scottish Martial Arts

jdreyer wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 14:37:

One of the problems with Vista that I got from someone who worked on it that isn't mentioned in the article: They invested way too much in automated testing instead of manual testing. That's how a lot of bugs made it into the production release.

Any idea what the context is for that? Because automated testing and manual testing are complementary: what automated testing tends to find, manual testing tends to have a hard time finding, and vice-versa. Likewise, automated unit and integration testing tends to be done by software engineers as they write their own code, where as manual testing tends to be done by QA engineers and testers.

For context, about 55% of the lines of code I write are automated unit and integration tests for the other 45%. In fact, my most recent change to the code base was 600 lines implementing an end-to-end test on one of the endpoints I had been developing, i.e. it was purely an automated test and wasn't production code at all.

News Comments > ESA Rebukes President Trump
187. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 13, 2018, 12:08 Scottish Martial Arts

Eirikrautha wrote on Jan 13, 2018, 10:48:

Funny you pick coal towns as your example. I've been to Chicago and Detroit (and Philly and Baltimore). You're more likely to encounter a shithole area in a city than in the country. But it's not like you have your own biases...

Wait, I thought the charitable explanation for why people support Trump is that it had nothing to do with race and solely to do with economics: that rural, ex-industrial areas are economically depressed, and that their residents feel left behind and looked down upon by the thriving urban areas. If you contend that in fact rural America is better off than urban America -- laughable but lets run with it -- then why exactly do you support Trump? Because he'll call predominantly black and brown countries shitholes and can can sexually assault women and get away with it?

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 10, 2018, 07:33 Scottish Martial Arts

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 06:08:
But do you as developer know why the algo weighted as it did? Can you infer from weighting how it would respond in a similar but slightly different situation/data environment?

Not in the same way you know why a deterministic algorithm produces its output, no. Because you train on extremely large data sets, and because each batch or even individual instance of data affects the weighting, it's not feasible to trace through a program using a traditional debugger to determine how you got the weights and bias you did. What you can do however is make hypotheses based upon your knowledge of the input and output data, and the ML algorithm itself, make experimental changes to the code, and then evaluate the results from those changes against the baseline. Peter Norvig, who literally wrote the textbook on AI, compares it to shifting your mode of thinking from that of a mathematician to that of a natural scientist.

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 9, 2018, 16:50 Scottish Martial Arts

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 11:02:
one is guided development by developers (AI where you get what you want and easily reproduce the steps)
the other is unguided development by scripts and processes (AI where you MAYBE get what you want but can't ever reproduce the steps)

Kind of. Artificial Intelligence is a broad field, and Machine Learning is a class of "algorithms" -- ML algorithms don't generally meet the formal definition of the term -- within the field of AI. ML isn't unguided per se, but it is non-deterministic, and the outcome very much depends upon the noisiness of your data, the astuteness with which you've selected signals, the topology of the resulting model, and depending on the algorithm good ol' random chance. You still control what the inputs are, and you still define the format of the outputs; what you don't control is the weighting of your model, which is what you're "training" to begin with, and the underlying patterns that the algorithm finds in the data. The key thing to know with Machine Learning is that there's no actual learning or intelligence per se, but instead ML algorithms are just applied statistics and linear algebra which find patterns in data and make predictions based on those patterns.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 6, 2018, 20:14 Scottish Martial Arts

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 18:52:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 12:41:
She's only ripping off stupid people
While at some level I agree with this sentiment, it is still a mystery to me why she does it. I assume she doesn't need the money. So, is she a sociopath? Or maybe she is secretly a con artist who gets a high of ripping people off? It is just weird.

When was the last time you saw her in anything but a minor supporting role? The heydey of her acting career was 20 years ago with Shakespeare in Love, and in the intervening years she has largely aged out of a Hollywood leading woman acting career. She's well positioned to still have an acting career on the stage, on British television, etc., along the lines of what Gillian Anderson did post X-Files, but that won't bring in the money of her peak acting years. Goop is a business that, despite it's gross stupidity and borderline con-artistry, is making her the kind of money she can no longer make acting.

Beyond that, there are a lot of people who really do "try to keep an open mind about alternative healing and wellness", and genuinely believe that healing crystals and jade vaginal eggs can help them. She is either one of them, or knows that the market for this bullshit exists.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 6, 2018, 11:46 Scottish Martial Arts

I'm pretty sure that both are information disclosure vulnerabilities, not denial of service ones. Meltdown lets user processes read kernel memory, and Spectre lets user processes read other processes memory.

Interesting. I hadn't followed it that closely but had been under the impression it was write access to protected memory. In other words, an exploit that would allow an attacker to write a bunch of random bits into protected, i.e. kernel, memory, crashing the kernel. It sounds however like I'm mistaken.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 6, 2018, 10:55 Scottish Martial Arts

StoNe wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 00:24:
The Civ 6 article literally in the first 5 words announces a turn based strategy game as a real-time strategy game.

Do people no longer know what certain words mean?!?

Since it's a mainstream site, my guess would be that the author just had a brain fart and the editor didn't have the domain knowledge to know that real-time is distinct from turn-based, and the Civ is the latter, not the former.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 6, 2018, 10:44 Scottish Martial Arts

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 21:11:
Hey everybody make sure you update your password and not share it with anyone!

It's hard to tell in text if you're being facetious, but if not, it's not that kind of security flaw. Instead, it's the kind that would allow an attacker to crash a server or a business's workstations, causing economic losses.

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 4, 2018, 05:54 Scottish Martial Arts

BobBob wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 16:52:

Well, that depends on how you look at it, or not.

LOLOL, okay that made me smile.

2. Re: Why Artificial Intelligence Is Not Like Your Brain—Yet. Jan 3, 2018, 13:41 Scottish Martial Arts

BobBob wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 12:52:
Article's author completely missed breakthroughs in quantum computing.

What does that have to do with the articles point? The most effective AI technology we have today is the deep learning computational graph. It consists of a graph representation of a system of linear equations that optimizes its coefficients when trained on input so as to achieve optimal performance when generating regression or classification output.This is the same thing as a so called “neural net”. One is a description of a mathematical model. The other is a marketing term. Neither resemble the human brain, quantum computer or not.

3219 Comments. 161 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo