Descending
Limit Results:

111 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: No subject
Nov 29, 2006, 13:30
Re: No subject Nov 29, 2006, 13:30
Nov 29, 2006, 13:30

What's more interesting is how I felt that red steel plays a lot like goldeneye in its clunkiness, but the difference in scores on both is vast. *shrug*

Nov 29, 2006, 12:53
Re: No subject Nov 29, 2006, 12:53
Nov 29, 2006, 12:53

What I think would be a good solution would be to have the two companies agree to release it on both systems. Then they'd just be screwing over sony, which I believe they would agree is a good thing

Re: Gears of War
Nov 7, 2006, 18:26
Re: Gears of War Nov 7, 2006, 18:26
Nov 7, 2006, 18:26

Honestly, A lot of people think that hype means the game is bad. It's actually QUITE good. I'd give it at least a 9/10 from what I played so far, and that's just the campaign. The graphics are fantastic -- the gameplay is tough to get used to at first (including hiding behind things). I have died a LOT so far (I suck), but the checkpoint system isn't that bad.

I've just started act 2, and I can say act 1 was very intense.

This is the first title that TRULY separates the 360 from the last-gen systems. Oblivion definitely did, but this feels so much more ... powerful

Re: Sony Fanboy
Oct 29, 2006, 10:28
Re: Sony Fanboy Oct 29, 2006, 10:28
Oct 29, 2006, 10:28

quite honestly, the article holds no water whatsoever. He said that the playstation name itself would carry them. I beg to differ. Case in point, the PSP.

secondly, while the PS3 will have free online play, it is not unified like the 360. Online games are not very big without community.

Lastly, he says that the initial PS3 shots look already better than "the best the 360 has to offer". I don't believe that the 360 has been truly taxed yet. Now, I'm not saying that either one is more powerful, but I'm saying that his comment is 100% bogus (beyond just speculative).

I don't know how this "war" is going to end, but I can't see it panning out like this writer believes. I see nintendo making a hell of a comeback, though, but I don't even consider them a part of this war. With their smarter pricing schema and availability, they're fighting their own battle on their own field -- and gaining some seriously-missed ground back.

Re: Europeans 'don't mind' launch delay
Oct 7, 2006, 10:28
Re: Europeans 'don't mind' launch delay Oct 7, 2006, 10:28
Oct 7, 2006, 10:28

what he means by "don't mind" is "you're still going to buy it anyway". To him, "caring" is about numbers, not feelings.

And he's right.

Re: Bah.
Sep 24, 2006, 16:10
Re: Bah. Sep 24, 2006, 16:10
Sep 24, 2006, 16:10

Globalization is lifting hundreds of millions of people in 3rd world countries out of poverty. It is creating new job opportunities in the developed world as 3rd world countries industrialize and have more demand for technology and raw materials. It is NOT a zero sum game, and I am sorry if you are hurt by it. However it is here to stay so stop bitching and figure out how you can succeed in the modern world.

How do you figure? I continue to hear and read about INCREASING poverty in third-world countries, and how we STILL don't have a significant amount of things like running water and health care there.

What we seem to be doing here is taking buckets of jobs in the US and sprinkling them throughout the world, hoping that somehow it will make fruit and we will reap the rewards. The truth of the matter is that the sprinkling only marginally helps in these other countries, and the only people who reap the rewards are the companies that outsource. They may reduce their own costs, but this only results in an INCREASE in profit, not a reduction in cost for the consumer.
With the buckets of jobs removed, we find that our unemployment rates increase (as they have in NJ, at least). This makes it more difficult to keep the food on the table.

But it goes much deeper than that, as well. Keep in mind -- many of these people now have to settle for lower-paying service jobs, yet the cost of living continues to increase. Property taxes, utility inflation, even the cost of food is increasing. I am hard-pressed to find a student who has a stay-at-home mom or dad in school nowadays.

Is outsourcing the sole contributor to this? No. But it isn't helping matters either.

Re: Bah.
Sep 24, 2006, 08:41
Re: Bah. Sep 24, 2006, 08:41
Sep 24, 2006, 08:41

people still buy nike shoes.
people still buy ford cars.
people still buy dell computers.
people still buy apple ipods.
people will still buy epic games.

americans are too fascinated with materialism to worry about people in this country or other countries for that matter.

this country is too dog-eat-dog. Eventually, I believe that we'll hit a balance point where America is has more imports than people with jobs that can afford them, so that the only people who will be able to buy anything are lawyers, doctors, and CEOs. This sort of economy seems to me to just be putting more weight on the back of Americans, and we keep knocking their feet out from under them. Sooner or later, something's going to break, and it's going to be catastrophic.

I think we'll really start seeing problems when they start outsourcing teachers. Then Americans really have no place in the world -- their jobs are being done by everyone else, and taught by everyone else to people who won't be able to do them unless they leave the country.

Re: WTF?!
Sep 22, 2006, 09:22
Re: WTF?! Sep 22, 2006, 09:22
Sep 22, 2006, 09:22

From what I understood, though I could be mistaken, is that HD-DVD would be copy-protected (partially) by making it that HD-DVD media would only be viewable through a certain type of cable (HDMI cable).

Sep 16, 2006, 11:23
Re: No subject Sep 16, 2006, 11:23
Sep 16, 2006, 11:23

It appears as this thread is now being hijacked to promote Tribes 2.

I'm all for it.

As I was an avid player of the game for 3 years (I know many of you played it longer), I can tell you that it is the ONLY game that has held my attention span for longer than 6 months, let alone 3 years.

It deserves more thread space than EA/DICE does anyway - I can't stand what EA is doing with their games nowadays, especially some of the sports games (NCAA on PSP anyone?) , and the BF series, which... hmmm... let me put it this way:

If when you press the menu button, it says "Please Wait" for a few seconds before it even loads the menu -- that says something.

Re: Xbox 360 HD DVD *games* ?
Aug 21, 2006, 09:47
Re: Xbox 360 HD DVD *games* ? Aug 21, 2006, 09:47
Aug 21, 2006, 09:47

sure, Consoles have a uniform hardware architecture that allows game companies to try to milk performance out on the hardware level a lot more than on the varied architectures on the PC, where everything is a crapshoot. Thankfully, directx has made it easier to at least PROGRAM it, but it's a lot more difficult to tweak.

Additionally, even though hardware is a LOT faster on the PC, you can see consoles that have SIGNIFICANTLY slower CPU speeds running mid-to-high-end pc-style games (albeit with slightly-to-moderatly worse graphics) pretty well.

Re: Xbox 360 HD DVD *games* ?
Aug 20, 2006, 16:41
Re: Xbox 360 HD DVD *games* ? Aug 20, 2006, 16:41
Aug 20, 2006, 16:41

you're $100 off there, buddy, the 360 is only 399 for the "good" version. And besides, you don't NEED the HD-DVD to actually play any games. See, we call it an OPTION.

There is no Blu-Ray "option" on the PS3, so the numbers just don't add up how you'd like.

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 18:42.

May 30, 2006, 16:27
Re: No subject May 30, 2006, 16:27
May 30, 2006, 16:27

you know, that's the only time I've ever heard "they're all about the money" referred to regarding StarDock. I admire their stance, and quite frankly I also admire a company that supports their games as thoroughly as they do (granted there are quite a lot of bugfixes, but there's always more new content than fixes).

Not to kiss butt, but I think that more companies need to consider following similar models -- release demo before game release, make game available online, constantly support it -- THEN you can be justified in making it one sale per person. I mean, after all, the fact that they don't try to prevent you from installing on multiple machines to me is a good thing.

Their policies, to me, make sense, and what I wish a lot more companies followed their practices.

Re: Wii price $250?
May 27, 2006, 19:57
Re: Wii price $250? May 27, 2006, 19:57
May 27, 2006, 19:57

All I heard was "less than 250" -- This is the first I've heard otherwise.

Re: Malakai's Response #30.
May 23, 2006, 18:20
Re: Malakai's Response #30. May 23, 2006, 18:20
May 23, 2006, 18:20

you're both quite capable of holding rational conversations and neither qualify as troll material -- so you both need to chill a bit... I liked it better when we were talking about the show rather than who has the bigger e-peen... now kiss and make up

Re: galewind
May 22, 2006, 23:11
Re: galewind May 22, 2006, 23:11
May 22, 2006, 23:11

if it's not purgatory, then I think the island is literally alive. Theres something going on where when people reconcile their lives, they die off. Why would that be?

Re: heh
May 22, 2006, 18:14
Re: heh May 22, 2006, 18:14
May 22, 2006, 18:14

Oh, this all being said, I think the game is gonna suck.

Re: heh
May 22, 2006, 18:13
Re: heh May 22, 2006, 18:13
May 22, 2006, 18:13

Not once has a single plot line been wrapped up without 30 other stupid uselles plot lines been started.

Sure they have. Boone & Shannon died, story of Ruth and Bernard, Charlie's got over his addiction, Claire had the baby, etc.

The flashbacks. I don't give a fuck about how the people from the other side of the island survived and met up with the other survivors after you made me wait for about 5 weeks without explaining anything. Not only that, but there's no need to spend a whole hour, or maybe even two, on a character's back story when 20 minutes would do.

The point is that every character has a reason to be on the island, and you try to tie it together. After all, who wants another generic character show? It's kidn of hard to know who these people are when you randomly begin by seeing them on the island with no background whatsoever. How many of them aren't who they claim they are? It's called character depth. Being on an island in the middle of nowhere, character is about all they have.

The random breaks that the writers take in the middle of a season. How many breaks has Lost had in season 2? About 6 now isnt it?

That's true - but it's ending its season at the same time that all shows are ending their season.. that does annoy me though.

Why don't the writers just get on with it. You can tell they're going to make it something totally gay, similar to that of Dallas when Hasselhoff returned and the past 4 years are just a dream, like it's all within that fat guy's head.

Personally I think they're all in Purgatory, but that's just my thing. Seems like each time a character reconciles with their life issues that made them 'incomplete', they die (see boone, shannon, and anna lucia)
Inconsistancies in the island. A fucking Polar bear on a tropical island? I don't know what crack the writers were smoking, but it must have been good for them to have come up with that. Not only that, but i've seen quite a few scenes where they're computer edited telegraph/phone poles out of a shot.

7: The sheer predictability of it all. You can tell "oh this dude is going to get out... someone's going to get shot... the major thing they're looking for isn't where it should be... the episode is going to end right now without explaining anything about anything in the whole time it was on". Unpredictable my arse.

Besides the inconsistencies between those two statements --
If you remember Walt's backstory (which apparently you didn't think was important/necessary), whenever he sees/reads an animal in a book, it appears. At home it was a bird in a school book -- on the island it was a polar bear in a comic book. That's consistency, NOT inconsistency (though it is pretty f'd up). Though I haven't seen your edits you mentioned, I don't doubt that they exist. Who knows, maybe they were intentional (being that the hatches are designed to communicate).

The blatant rip-off of many japanese anime cartoons. For those who don't get what i mean, think of point 1 and 2 put together, i.e plot lines that last for years (Dragon Ball Z), and a stupid amount of flashbacks that, although might give some insight into the character, actually end up pissing you off because they're just stalling for time to "build up" the main fight that'll comenece after all the bullshit.

Quite frankly I think it'll eventually "Jump the shark" if they don't wrap it up soon, but they're nowhere near that point. They still have quite a bit of backstory to clean up, and then there's the whole "who are the others" thing. I'm sure that will eventually lead to more questions about Dharma and the Hanso foundation (who/where is Alvar Hanso?).
They've also been a bit inventive with the whole "Lost Experience", which makes it go even deeper than just a television show -- though I'm sure the novelty will wear off after some time. Go to amazon.com and search for Gary Troup, or perhaps go to www.thehansofoundation.org and register for their newsletter. The "in-game" commercials that air everyweek are pretty cool to follow as well (see www.sublymonal.com and www.letyourcompassguideyou.com )
Needless to say, I'm still hooked on the phenomenon that is Lost, but the writers need to be EXCRUTIATINGLY careful where they take this show, or it will QUICKLY divebomb into stupidity.

I can respect your dislike for the show, but I wanted to address a few things that I blatantly disagreed with.

May 22, 2006, 16:52
Re: No subject May 22, 2006, 16:52
May 22, 2006, 16:52

All this talk about Majestic really makes me wish that EA brought it back. But sadly, since it's EA -- we know it will never happen. It was such a great idea, and I used to drive quickly home from work to see if Majestic left me a voicemail.

Another neat puzzle game was Missing: Since January. That involved getting e-mail, at least.

We need more games like these that interact with our own lives outside of the game client.

Re: Games are Dead
May 14, 2006, 19:55
Re: Games are Dead May 14, 2006, 19:55
May 14, 2006, 19:55

what I'm glad to see is that there are more people that are fed up with just pretty glitters and are more interested in innovative gameplay.

Games are not dead, but people need to re-evaluate what is important in gaming.

May 10, 2006, 14:52
Re: No subject May 10, 2006, 14:52
May 10, 2006, 14:52

The 2nd demo of this game was heads and tails above the first one. I think it's a buy for me.

This comment was edited on May 10, 14:52.
111 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older