Descending
Limit Results:

39 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Mortyr
Feb 18, 2003, 00:06
Re: Mortyr Feb 18, 2003, 00:06
Feb 18, 2003, 00:06

Mortyr had a cool collision detection on its glass windows - it would shatter away depending on where you shot it. First in its class to do that, but thats about where the fun stopped.

Re: wait a sec...
Feb 4, 2003, 13:23
Re: wait a sec... Feb 4, 2003, 13:23
Feb 4, 2003, 13:23

What you are talking about is procedural texturing. Games do support this, such as serious sam, Unreal, etc. They are textures that are NOT created by a series of image maps, but rather are created on the fly by the processor using a variable equation. They are nice for random displacement situations, such as water reflecting off of a tile in a pool room. They are neat, but nothing too revolutionary. They require more processor power than a normal texture, obviously. But for things like cracks and deterioration over similar surfaces (like the buses you mentioned) a layered texture map with would work much better, and would be easier to implement. But I do see your point, calculated textures for things like marks on walls would be pretty neat, but I would rather the extra processor power go towards more poly's or other texturing techniques.

Now if you really want something cool to think about, I am beginning research on procedural sound. No more pre-recorded sounds; sounds will be calculated based on material, velocity, etc. Now THAT is cool!

-Mick

TF2
Jan 13, 2003, 23:30
TF2 Jan 13, 2003, 23:30
Jan 13, 2003, 23:30

What ever happened to Team Fortress 2?

Doom != Quake
Dec 23, 2002, 11:45
Doom != Quake Dec 23, 2002, 11:45
Dec 23, 2002, 11:45

"With Raven working on Doom IV, we presume you'll want to take Wolfenstein onto that same engine at some point in the future?"

Doom IV, wow, haven't read any press about this one.... Editor, get with it! Quake IV is gonna rock!

Re: Mouse
Sep 3, 2002, 00:30
Re: Mouse Sep 3, 2002, 00:30
Sep 3, 2002, 00:30

uh no.. I base this kind of thing (betas, demo) on the final product, which costs money.

Re: Mouse
Sep 2, 2002, 21:57
Re: Mouse Sep 2, 2002, 21:57
Sep 2, 2002, 21:57

Yup thats it...I run ME and an optical mouse... ok this game doesn't ever touch my money. Sorry 4x

Mouse
Sep 2, 2002, 19:44
Mouse Sep 2, 2002, 19:44
Sep 2, 2002, 19:44

Anybody else having mouse problems? It goes vertical, but not horizontal.... Also, its as if the mouse wheel is flipping out because the weapons and menus scroll uncontrollably. Grrr

Re: Its a single player game
Aug 26, 2002, 23:24
Re: Its a single player game Aug 26, 2002, 23:24
Aug 26, 2002, 23:24

#37, you are worried about something you shouldn't be. Why would any game company in their right mind model Doom 3 for a multiplayer game?! You speak as if this spells doom (haha) for all future games. As my subject of this thread suggests, doom 3 is a SINGLE PLAYER GAME. A game that focuses on multiplayer WILL NOT model the doom 3 engine for netcode. I mean look at D3 - it looks almost as good as CG, with the dynamic lighting and all. There is no reason for this in multiplayer right now - as a programmer, I can say that multiplayer needs to be fast so that the clients can communicate with each other efficiently. No multiplayer game will sacrifice the underlying model (client/server) so you can see shadows on a teammate. Yeah more single player games MAY have limited multiplayer, but isn't that expected? I'm glad actually because then developers can focus on single player while multiplayer developers can focus on multiplayer. Not every game uses id technology either (Unreal engine, anyone?). So calm down, this isn't the end of client/server. Doom doesn't care really about multiplayer as much this go-round, so they are leaving some stuff out. Its just that simple. Client/server will live on, unless there is a better way to play in the future. TFC/CounterStrike players will not abandon these games for Doom 3. As I said before, Doom will NOT revolutionize multiplayer this time, so stop acting like it will.

Aug 25, 2002, 23:10
Re: Its a single player game Aug 25, 2002, 23:10
Aug 25, 2002, 23:10

32 is on the ball.

That's pretty much what I meant when I said revolutionize multiplayer. I knew someone would say "but! but! id hasn't done jack to revolutionize multiplayer!!" Doom introduced deathmatch, Quake had first client server, and the first real mods came from these two games. Quake II was more single player, but SO many people played Q2 for its network code and built in varients. Then Q3 came out, which we all know really boosted the online community (whether you liked the q3 gameplay, thats another issue). Now I'm not saying that id has single handedly is responsible for what multiplayer first person shooters are today (TFC, Counterstrike and UT come to mind), but id certainly has revoultionized it on more than one occasion. Doom III will not be one of those times; they are revolutionizing much more - the entire gaming atmosphere and 3D world.

So many people are so quick to jump on id's back about this or that. They really are the true professionals and industry leaders. This "controversy" is nothing new, it comes with the job of being the trend setter.

Aug 25, 2002, 18:35
Re: Its a single player game Aug 25, 2002, 18:35
Aug 25, 2002, 18:35

Notice he said obsessively. He didn't say you would finish it it two days if you played it like you do most games (unless you play most games obsessively). Also, Half Life took me 3 days, Jedi Knight II 2 days, GTA III 4 days.... And all of these games are among the best single player games, most would agree. And he said doom 3 would be longer than most new games that have been coming out. I really really doubt that you will finish the game in 2 days unless you play it all day both days. Plus, id has a reputation for serving up great replay value. Heck I watch the legacy and ingame footage vidoes over and over and cna't get enough!

Also, EVERY id game is controversial with hardcore gamers. I remember with Q2 it was system requirements. Q3 it was still requirements and multiplayer only. People thought it was going to suck, but (as MOST would agree) it didn't suck, it did very well. id is among the most professional game developers, have faith in them; they are not out to make gamers mad. They've been right about every prediction and game they've had out thus far and continue to raise the bar for gaming. Look how long the Q3 engine has lasted and new games are STILL using it! And look what those games have done to it. I am 100% positive that client/server with the Doom style graphics will be done. And about Quake 4 and other games using limitations - don't blame id; they are making this engine for THEIR game. If an engine does not match a designer's design they won't use it. So if Quake IV is supposed to have this marvelous multiplayer design they won't scrap it for better graphics. My prediction is that Quake IV will be like DOOM, a new single player experience, which is fine by me.

Oh, and I think its perfectly acceptable for id to say go play another game if you want better multiplayer. Are you really expecting them to revolutionize multiplayer AGAIN with this game (on top of promising this amazing single player)? I dont think so. Thats why they made Quake 3.

Its a single player game
Aug 25, 2002, 12:50
Its a single player game Aug 25, 2002, 12:50
Aug 25, 2002, 12:50

Here is what id is saying. DOOM III is a primarily single player game; its not made for multiplayer. I mean they haven't even begun multiplayer yet! I think what they are saying is that their last 3 games were Quake III, Quake III TA, and Wolfenstien, which are all incredible online games. Then there is UT2003 coming out. Basically we are witnessing what I've predicted would happen - games are beginning to get way too complex to do a compelling single player while having an inovative multiplayer. As a result many games now are going one direction not both (even wolfenstien had two different companies working on the two parts). They've said all along that Doom III is a single player game, so I do not know why this stripped down multiplayer issue is suprising to you. People are already liscencing the Doom III engine, so its only a matter of time before you get your online treat. I just don't see why you are all complaining when they've said all along the game's focus is 99% single player. Multiplayer is just an add-on.
A lot of you are saying you want to join a server with 20 people, have some mad, adrenaline pumpig action, and get off the server when you want to. You can already do that, its called Quake/Wolfenstien, two very popular, very excellent games. Id is wisely not reinventing the wheel of multiplayer; they're multiplayer games are still going strong. I'm personally thrilled they are going back to a compelling single player. Unreal is in the exact same situation, but you aren't complaining about that. If you want the multiplayer, go play q3/wolf/TA/UT/UT2003.

Re: video
Jul 31, 2002, 12:14
Re: video Jul 31, 2002, 12:14
Jul 31, 2002, 12:14

Its kind of interesting, but its nothing too exciting.... And contrary to what Frans said, there is no new footage of Doom 3.

Re: Oy!
Jun 11, 2002, 23:55
Re: Oy! Jun 11, 2002, 23:55
Jun 11, 2002, 23:55

No, the same does not go here. Blues News holds every right to administer what they deem appropriate to post. Some boards do not allow bad language. Others allow anything. You have the freedom to say what you want, but it is not your property once you post here. The reason for this is because Blues is a very respectable gaming site that caters to you and I alike - they are providing you with a service and the least you can do is abide by what they ask - If you don't then it will get censored, its that simple. And its not an infringement on you being a U.S. citizen or anything like that - its being mature.

I went today to check out some of the top 5 discussion threads, hoping I could get into an intellectual conversation about *GASP* GAMES and the amazing technology they exhibit, but I should have known better - it was a Blues News discussion afterall - plagued with immature posters who abuse a message board. I have learned not to post here much, because even if I post something on topic, it quickly goes to a Q3 vs UT flame war or something very similar and immature. Replying to the childish posts here just eggs them on more. Maybe I should just join a techie site or something to talk games with real adults but man, I wish I could at least talk about GAMES with my favorite game site. I'd just like to say Frans, Blue, thanks for the hard work you do and putting up with the immaturity that plagues your boards. At least it is optional to look at the comments about an article; its usually not even worth looking at those threads.

Re: In General
Jun 3, 2002, 23:21
Re: In General Jun 3, 2002, 23:21
Jun 3, 2002, 23:21

These bugs are common in test, early versions of games. I just think its a shame that they released this test to the public, when they should have had a limited sign-up. Testing on other machines is imperative in software design, but releasing it to the trolls who post here with messages saying things like "THIS GAME SUXORS. IT PLAYS LIKE ASS" really will hurt the sales in the longrun I think. Unfortunately these kids skip that whole Rating chart (yeah I did too a few years ago) and actually buy these types of games, so its not too bright to give them something they will whine about. So yeah, I dont blame them at all for the "shotty" code (though it still is impressive), I just don't think it should have been a public test. As proven by the mass of moronic posts (like our clever friend who came up with "moron18" back at the beginning of the thread) the public wasn't ready for this quite yet. Test=Demo for them, and Demo=Final game. Sucks eh?

Re: .
Jun 3, 2002, 13:54
Re: . Jun 3, 2002, 13:54
Jun 3, 2002, 13:54

#55, what OS are you running? Apparently they decided to only support 2000/XP versions of windows. Us Me/98 users are screwed by the looks of how other people got the game working. Best of luck, but I say don't bother with it too much and wait until they release something worth trying out.

Re: ahah
Jun 3, 2002, 11:14
Re: ahah Jun 3, 2002, 11:14
Jun 3, 2002, 11:14

dnf is gonna kill all deez pos fagot game u queers so bow down beeatch

I rest my case...

Re: You guys are all PC fanboys
Jun 3, 2002, 01:57
Re: You guys are all PC fanboys Jun 3, 2002, 01:57
Jun 3, 2002, 01:57

#74 - Check out the DOOM Legacy video, it shows footage from the DOOM III editor, and it is not "clumsy" by any means. In fact its revolutionary, in that the need for compiling levels is out and real time editing is in. How sweet is it to add an entity, light, or whatever else you want on the fly and play it immediately? This will definately lead to much better level design and will speed things up not slow things down. Also, the maps are not similar to half-life, I dont know where you got that - the maps will feature very advanced models and environments never before seen in a PC game. And considering iD has among the best and brightest in the industry, we all can expect an amazing product.
And I speak for many when I say grow up all you UT vs Q3 kids. Whats it worth arguing about what game is better? How lame is that! I perfer Q3, but UT is still among one of my all time favorites. Let people enjoy what they like, and dont go bashing a game on grounds of personal oppinion. Both games are technilogical marvels and boast great gameplay, there is no use in putting someone down because they don't play the same game you do. Why can't Blues News actually have a mature, more technical discussion for games? I mean its like you people hate 99% of games.

Re: You guys are all PC fanboys
Jun 2, 2002, 01:11
Re: You guys are all PC fanboys Jun 2, 2002, 01:11
Jun 2, 2002, 01:11

DOOM III will not be out Christmas 2002. While the technology backbone is complete actual gameplay elements are very elementary. Expect a technology test August 2003, final game Christmas 2003.

Re: Look..
Jun 1, 2002, 19:17
Re: Look.. Jun 1, 2002, 19:17
Jun 1, 2002, 19:17

I am an artist/programmer and I agree that some of you are treating this software as if it were beta or even demo material. While I haven't been following NWO really much at all, its obvious that they are still in pre-alpha testing stage which means basic features are not going to be always polished.

Now that being said, I think Termite Games made a bad decision releasing this as a public test - Especially at this time of year when gamers see incredible results from the E3 show, gamers' expectations are high. BigJKO, the fundamental rule of alpha software design is that testing is performed behind closed doors, or at MOST to a select few representative clients. The fact that you treated this "test" as beta software will definately hurt your game unfortunately. It appears many people wanted to see what this game offered, and once they see how frustrating it is, they can easily go to one of the other 50 First Person Shooter CT/Terrorist games out there. Granted this board is plagued with adolescent whiners who bash every article by Blue, what did you expect releasing it to the public like this? I really think before you release any more software you should sign people up who are willing to test your game and give you feedback that will help in your design rather than release bad code for everyone. (I'll be happy to test out builds for ya :)) It just seems the designers need to back to college and take a Software Design course again.

-Mick

39 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older