Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sho

Real Name Sho   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 26, 2002, 23:49
Total Comments 733 (Apprentice)
User ID 13167

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Prey Trailer
2. Re: Prey Trailer Mar 24, 2017, 11:11 Sho

Verno wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 08:52:
Does anyone care about this game? Anyone at all, anywhere?

Some major sunken cost fallacy going on with this game.

Yeah, me? It looks really great so far. Finally another game in the spirit of System Shock and BioShock. I'm up for a good singleplayer FPS.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches
39. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 16:06 Sho

DangerDog wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 15:57:
Anyone expecting some sort of major overhaul to the game is just kidding themselves.

Aside from bug patches nothing major will get touched. This is going to be everyone's favorite game to hate on while they run off to play more of it.

Well, there's a precedent - they broke down and did the expanded ending patch for ME3.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches
1. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 10:21 Sho

Basically, since this is intended as the start of a new series in the franchise, I expect the negative reaction to force them into dropping a large patch later to fix the animations. I'll hold off for 3-4 months and see what shakes down.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan
19. Re: Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan Mar 19, 2017, 14:18 Sho

I'm not sure where the "delay tactic" thing is actually coming from, nothing in the post provides any indication they think to ship without DX support, all he's saying is that they want to eventually drop it for Vulkan, in a statement meant to address the DX12 question.

Speaking as a software engineer, this post just seems sensible and like no fuss. They've committed to Windows and Linux support, and adopting Vulkan allows them to do that with a single renderer instead of having to maintain two (DX and OpenGL). It's the one API among the new-gen ones providing that platform coverage. Along those same lines you'd then want to eventually drop the DX renderer. The end result is that you're on a single renderer on all your platforms, which requires the least amount of maintenance effort and synchronization churn. It's basic good engineering and the same decision is made probably every day by others currently. I agree with his assessment of the costs involved (going Vulkan vs. DX12 is similar, DX12 doesn't fit the platform support requirements) as well.

If anything, it's good news that there's some evidence of competent engineering/reality-based decision making over there.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings
6. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings Mar 9, 2017, 03:53 Sho

Didn't all previous games in the series have grain on by default?

As long as it's an option ... fine by me. I go forth and back on whether I like it, depends on the specific implementation too.

News Comments > Fallout 4 High-Resolution Textures
7. Re: Fallout 4 High-Resolution Textures Feb 6, 2017, 22:22 Sho

I'm only half-serious, but the older I get, the more I understand why developers might prefer creating for a console audience. PC gamers are just impossible to please. You're damned if you don't push the platform to its limits to justify hardware purchases and feed into their superior complex, you're damned if you actually do and it has high spec reqs. Always this bickering over things like this instead of focusing on the games. It gets tiring.  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda in March
10. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 01:22 Sho

Feeling sad for people who can't enjoy games I guess.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Engine Switch; Alpha Released for Backers
20. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch; Alpha Released for Backers Dec 24, 2016, 16:28 Sho

One of the big problems they had with CryEngine was that it used a 32bit coordinate system, which isn't enough precision to put objects at great distances to each other yet also resolve small distances locally. They made extensive code changes throughout the codebase to switch coordinates to 64bit. Wonder how that fork was resolved.  

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Trailer
5. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Trailer Nov 16, 2016, 16:36 Sho

I'm talking more about art quality than rendering quality. Pillars, Tyranny and Shadowrun all look much better than this game does. Torrent looks drab, there's a lot of ugly repeated filler textures, lighting/shadows are flat, scenes fail to create depth, etc. It's not a deal breaker for me - I still expect to enjoy this game - but it's a little disappointing.  

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Trailer
3. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Trailer Nov 16, 2016, 16:21 Sho

My one problem with this game is that it looks ugly. The quality of the artwork just isn't great.  

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Announced
9. Re: Wasteland 3 Announced Sep 28, 2016, 13:10 Sho

Didn't they make a Director's Cut of Wasteland 2? Like many I backed this, played it for an hour when it came out, liked it well enough but had better things to occupy my time. I wouldn't mind going back if they turned it up a notch in the DC though. Impressions?  

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Week
4. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Jul 16, 2016, 16:26 Sho

If we can dispense with the usual hyperbole, I'd be curious to hear a dispassionate take from someone who's actively following and playing it. How has it been doing lately?  

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Release Window Narrowed
3. Re: Titanfall 2 Release Window Narrowed Jun 2, 2016, 10:28 Sho

Tachikoma wrote on Jun 2, 2016, 10:00:
Bot support should be mandatory for any serious MP title...but they prefer to lock a player down for online-only deal.

Because they can: MP titles largely sell to an audience of socially-minded gamers who want to play against human opponents, not bots. The investment isn't worth it.

It makes the games uninteresting to me (I don't care for playing with others and get my social interaction outside of games), but to say bots should be mandatory is entitled nonsense.

News Comments > OUTCAST - Second Contact Announced
3. Re: OUTCAST - Second Contact Announced May 30, 2016, 01:14 Sho

Cutter wrote on May 29, 2016, 21:02:
Enh, I sorta kinda remember this one. Cult classic? That's stretching it a lot methinks.

Nah, it's a cult classic to me. Perhaps more so in Europe? I know it was decently popular here in Germany, and it's not that hard to see why: The combat was super clunky, but the adventuring was strong (adventures having never stopped being a strong genre here), as was the music, and it's not entirely unlike some German-made games such as the Gothic series.

Playing Outcast was a magical experience for me. In my two decades of playing video games, it definitely stands out as significant. I've got a number of friends who I feel would readily agree.

Now, on the topic of the HD remake, I'm definitely going to give them my money. It's not even a question. On the other hand, it's a bit sad these guys weren't successful enough they have to retread 16 years later, and I doubt this will make enough money to fund a real sequel.

News Comments > Free Omikron: The Nomad Soul
7. Re: Free Omikron: The Nomad Soul Jan 16, 2016, 10:46 Sho

I enjoyed this game back when I played it. It's terribly broken, almost all gameplay in there is as best 60% realized, so it's an odd collection of half-games. But had a ton of atmosphere, ambition was on display, the character animation was unusually good for the time, and overall I had the feeling of having come across a secret gem.  

News Comments > PC Rise of the Tomb Raider on January 28
28. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider on January 28 Jan 5, 2016, 20:43 Sho

Creston wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 19:56:
Sho wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 14:02:
Bah, I'm sad! I'm a big fan of the series (even through the hard times) and this will be the first TR I won't play shortly after release. I'm moving to Korea Feb 1st and it'll be at least a year of playing laptop nomad ...

But also like 7 trillion Gbps internet speeds!!

Gigabit up/down at home! But the international peering is crap, so that speed doesn't hold up past the country borders ...

News Comments > PC Rise of the Tomb Raider on January 28
10. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider on January 28 Jan 5, 2016, 14:02 Sho

Bah, I'm sad! I'm a big fan of the series (even through the hard times) and this will be the first TR I won't play shortly after release. I'm moving to Korea Feb 1st and it'll be at least a year of playing laptop nomad ...  

News Comments > Age of Mythology: Tale of the Dragon Announced
1. Re: Age of Mythology: Tale of the Dragon Announced Sep 20, 2015, 11:02 Sho

I'd actually play this. Age of Mythology was my favorite of the Age games, for single player.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2015, 22:07 Sho

I'm going to be in Seoul throughout August; if anyone from the Blue's community needs anything from there get in touch and we can look into it.  

News Comments > Life is Strange Episode 4 Next Week
2. Re: Life is Strange Episode 4 Next Week Jul 23, 2015, 22:05 Sho

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 11:56:
Spoilers galore! ;/

How is the series holding up? I played Ep1 and enjoyed it, but haven't had any time since.

733 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo