User information for Leo De Bruyn

Real Name
Leo De Bruyn
Nickname
LSD
Description
I make games. I live games. Games.. mmm yeah.
Signed On
May 16, 2002
Supporter
-
Total Posts
46 (Suspect)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

46 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

one interesting tidbit
May 13, 2003, 18:44
LSD
one interesting tidbit May 13, 2003, 18:44
May 13, 2003, 18:44
LSD

The one part that did peak my interest was the thing about positional 3d audio on the voice communication. That's a great idea, and hopefully we'll see it in more online games.

"sub-par"?
May 13, 2003, 13:02
LSD
"sub-par"? May 13, 2003, 13:02
May 13, 2003, 13:02
LSD

The engine's focus is on more realistic lighting. In the past, engines have focused on raising poly counts. This new approach requires a bit of a regression to lower poly counts, but what you don't see in the screenies is the way that light moves across the surfaces, outlining every vein, every scratch, every wrinkle in people's outfits. This makes it feel more real than a hi poly surface that still looks like smooth shaded polygons.
As other engines begin focusing on lighting as well, and hardware increases in speed and power, we'll see poly counts come back up a bit. And graphics will be much better off for the course correction. As it is, I much prefer realistic lighting to super hi poly counts, as it does much more to set the mood (not to mention adding all kinds of gameplay possibilities using shadows -- thief 3, anyone?)

stats schmats
May 13, 2003, 12:36
LSD
stats schmats May 13, 2003, 12:36
May 13, 2003, 12:36
LSD

Dungeon seige is fun, I couldn't care less how many stats it has. Tweaking all those numbers in "real" RPGs just bores the hell out of me, but the first Dungeon Seige was actually fun, with just enough differences in your characters to separate the play styles, and no extra fluff. Besides, it's all about the Co-Op play... more games should have that!
Now if we could just get some screenies and more detailed descriptions of the sequel...

Re: This is gonna be crap...
May 8, 2003, 14:22
LSD
Re: This is gonna be crap... May 8, 2003, 14:22
May 8, 2003, 14:22
LSD

Possibly the most immature argument that people make regarding entertainment... apparently you have to be an accomplished game designer to be discriminating in your tastes in games....
But anyway, this game actually sounds pretty interesting, I await more reviews with anticipation.

Re: DAMN!
May 4, 2003, 15:22
LSD
Re: DAMN! May 4, 2003, 15:22
May 4, 2003, 15:22
LSD

I need that scooter! I could show all the other geeks who's boss with that thing!

Re: 3D realms need a time machine?
Apr 24, 2003, 13:39
LSD
Re: 3D realms need a time machine? Apr 24, 2003, 13:39
Apr 24, 2003, 13:39
LSD

This is a great example of two companies who both take a long time to work on something, where one used a smart marketing strategy and the other made themselves a laughing stock.
3Drealms got so full of themselves and bragged and boasted for so many years that they ticked off a lot of people, and since the game still hasn't come out they are an industry joke.
Valve also took forever on this game, but used their noggins and didn't let out a peep till the right time. As a result, there will be a great deal of anticipation for this game due to the lack of updates, or even an admission that it was in production. And they still have ample time to hype the game as fall aproaches.
Take heed, developers... and remember that pride goeth before a fall...

Ready.gov
Feb 25, 2003, 13:32
LSD
Ready.gov Feb 25, 2003, 13:32
Feb 25, 2003, 13:32
LSD

www.ready.gov almost caused me to bust something laughing. it's like an orwellian fantasy come true. it would be hilarious as a spoof, but the fact that it's a real government site, well, it's just reaffirmed everything that I ever said about the "department of homeland security"
especially some choice tidbits like this:
http://www.ready.gov/trapped_debris_visual.html
check out the poor bastard banging his flashlight and blowing his whistle.

Word Bursts and a whole lot more
Feb 19, 2003, 15:33
LSD
Word Bursts and a whole lot more Feb 19, 2003, 15:33
Feb 19, 2003, 15:33
LSD

The same site as the word bursts article (telegraph.co.uk)has another one about lesbian japanese monkeys. How's that for a link!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/02/19/waa19.xml&sSheet=/portal/2003/02/19/ixportal.html

Re: snow? what's that?
Feb 18, 2003, 00:02
LSD
Re: snow? what's that? Feb 18, 2003, 00:02
Feb 18, 2003, 00:02
LSD

What about us Austin no-snow snobs? Nice and sunny, and no smog out here, just clean warm fresh air.

Re: Why do you fight to kill gays
Jan 23, 2003, 17:01
LSD
Re: Why do you fight to kill gays Jan 23, 2003, 17:01
Jan 23, 2003, 17:01
LSD

I know, how about a game where you can only kill straight middle-aged white American men.
That would be so fun, and middle aged white men won't sue you if you make that game. Yes of course, it might seem kind of strange if your video game is set in a world where the only bad guys are straight middle-aged american white guys, but if you want to avoid beind yelled at or sued by people, they are the only group that you can use for your bad guys.
Or maybe you could have your bad guys just be like seamstress dummies, generic with no sexes, races, or even faces. Wouldn't that be so fun? You could have sunflowers and rainbows everywhere too. And the evil generic dummies could come after you and you would be so scared, and you could kill them. And nobody would get upset, because dummies can't talk and complain about it, and they can't hire lawyers (as far as i know).
See everybody, you can stop the hate, I have found a solution to the problem...

Re: Blue's Cold
Jan 21, 2003, 14:08
LSD
Re: Blue's Cold Jan 21, 2003, 14:08
Jan 21, 2003, 14:08
LSD

Amen, brother19!

Wow
Dec 17, 2002, 14:15
LSD
Wow Dec 17, 2002, 14:15
Dec 17, 2002, 14:15
LSD

Talk about taking it to a "distinctively new level", I don't think I've ever seen a ripoff of a ripoff of a ripoff of a ripoff before!
Seriously, isn't this game old news though? I think I remember hearing something about it ages ago... must have blown it out as chunks, cuz I've forgotten now.
Although, the bit later on in the press release about the creature designer sounds intriguing... maybe some pictures..

Re: 64-bit? baff...
Nov 26, 2002, 17:34
LSD
Re: 64-bit? baff... Nov 26, 2002, 17:34
Nov 26, 2002, 17:34
LSD

"Who cares, I mean I know that 64 bit will be much nicer, but I will probably end up running the game 32-bit on those processors, just like I run the game 16-bit on my 32-bit now"

ow..... oh owwwww!! oh oh owwwwwwwww. stop, you are hurting me. ayayayayay

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 17:35.

it's Brazil, baby
Nov 16, 2002, 16:47
LSD
it's Brazil, baby Nov 16, 2002, 16:47
Nov 16, 2002, 16:47
LSD

The recent history of the USA is kind of interesting. It reminds me of that classic weird film Brazil. Terrorists blowing shit up everywhere, innocent people's freedoms being trashed in the name of the fight against terrorism, branding of any kind of criminal as a terrorist regardless of what his real purpose was (in Brazil, the guy who goes around illegally fixing people's AC is branded a terrorist). Oh yeah, and the appalling lack of rights that people accused of terrorism have. In the movie, they were zipped into bags with hooks on the back, and moved thru a secret interrogation system. They were even forced to pay for the electricity used to torture them... And this Department of Homeland Security. Such an innocuous name, just like the Ministry of Information....hahahhha
My point? Well, my point is that people sometimes get so scared that they start making stupid decisions. Right now the US people are scared of Osama and crew, and so they are making stupid decisions by letting this government trash rights and freedoms at home and abroad, while altering our legal system to provide loopholes for the federal government to use when they want to deny people due process and fair punisments for crimes.

anyhow, i'd be curious to hear other people's ideas regarding various prescient political writings and movies and how they are comin' true today (or not, if that's your argument)

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 16:49.

Re: Boy Did BF Take A Smacking Here
Oct 17, 2002, 12:35
LSD
Re: Boy Did BF Take A Smacking Here Oct 17, 2002, 12:35
Oct 17, 2002, 12:35
LSD

I agree that the infantry needs a bit of work, but I also am glad they have simultaneosly shied away from the bunny hopping style of quake/unreal and the painful simulation style of many "tactical shooters". The style of gameplay is JUST RIGHT, imho. All it needs are some collision fixes and some damage tweaking on weapons (bazooka, grenades, etc). The style is just right.
This is one of the first games where I could really have fun with a wide mix of infantry and vehicles. I don't agree with those who complain about the vehicles. The vehicles have plenty of detriments to keep them from being overpowering (as you discover the first time you get in a plane, for eg.). An infantryman faced with a tank usually needs to get help. This makes sense to me, and makes the game more fun, not less. A tank will be wreaking havoc on an area for a minute, then the players will start switching to bazookas, etc. or a plane or will bomb it, or a scout calls in artillery, and the balance shifts back. This is part of what makes the battles in this game so full of variety and fun.

do violent games hurt the industry
Oct 15, 2002, 12:50
LSD
do violent games hurt the industry Oct 15, 2002, 12:50
Oct 15, 2002, 12:50
LSD

People should not over-simplify complex issues, though I admit it's tempting. Violent games do not necessarily hurt the industry. They can be very good for sales. *IF* government and other regulatory institutions don't step in because of it. I.E. right now violence is helping sell lots of games. If more laws like that stupid St Louis ordinance get passed, then it could become a problem.

Maybe a good way to restate the hypothesis would be: Violent games draw negative attention to the industry from groups that may be able to damage the industry.
The industry has survived so far, but people don't always realize how culture shifts. Just because one particular age is very pro-business, or liberal, or conservative, doesn't mean it will stay that way. Likewise, just because it's currently acceptable for companies to do whatever the hell they want without thinking about the repercussions, doesn't mean that will always be the case. Public opinion has a way of solidifying after major disasters (witness the amazing amount of concensus in our usually contentious country this past year).
Some kind of disaster related to games could turn large groups of people against the industry. I do *NOT* think Postal 2 is capable of this, but I thought it was worth pointing out that the future may not be as bright as the present, and what works today may not work tomorrow.

GTA3 and violence
Oct 15, 2002, 12:38
LSD
GTA3 and violence Oct 15, 2002, 12:38
Oct 15, 2002, 12:38
LSD

Saying GTA3 did well because it was violent misses the point. The violence brought the game publicity.However: if you ask people about why they liked the game, they will say it was becasue it was fun. This is the conclusion I've come to after asking a good number of people (all avid gamers/game developers), reading a lot of articles about it, and of course playing it.
It is faulty logic to say that because a game is fun and has violence, that all violent games will be fun. Or even to say that violence always makes games fun.
The fact of the matter is that violence was just one factor of the whole game design of GTA3 that made it fun. Without all the aspects that made the actual gameplay as great as it was, it would have flopped despite the ability to run over people etc. The fact is, many games have had that ability and others like it, and didnt go on to sell 7 million copies.
Unfortunately, people today arent very good at basic scientific/logical principles. The key one here being: corollation does not equal cause. GTA is very violent. GTA is very successful. It does not necessarily follow that it is the violence that makes it successful. The violence just gets it free press. The game still has to live up to that by being fun.
Let me contrast GTA with another game that is similar in many respects, yet has no violence. The Sims. Personally, I'm not into the Sims that much, but it has plenty in common. It has sold bajillion copies, it's still selling well. It has mass market apeal. It is set in a contemporary world with attention to detail. It provides loose goals to gameplay but encourages exploration and improvised gameplay. In short, for a very wide cross section of people the game is very fun. The game has mass appeal.
So does GTA3. Part of that appeal for many people is the violence to innocent bystanders. But unlike games like postal 2, where that is the focus, GTA also appeals to a lot of other people who get off on other things like the cars, the music, driving around, the hookers, doing side quest missions (like police, etc.). It's appealing to a lot of people, not just the RWS types. And unfortunately for Postal 2, I think it lacks the appeal of games like GTA3. Yes, Postal 2 will get lots of press. But press wont be enough to make the game appeal to normal people. That is of course merely my own prediction of the future based on RWS description of gameplay, but I'd like to think I know a thing or two about good game design.

I told you so :)
Oct 10, 2002, 10:26
LSD
I told you so :) Oct 10, 2002, 10:26
Oct 10, 2002, 10:26
LSD

These guys are truly an example of when "idiots can afford the unreal engine". I dont think it ever occurred to them that even the nicest engine can look ass if your skills are on a level with a junior hi school mod team. Was that his leg going thru the shovel??

cheezy
Oct 8, 2002, 01:47
LSD
cheezy Oct 8, 2002, 01:47
Oct 8, 2002, 01:47
LSD

If you're going to criticize what they've actually revealed of the game itself, how about the fact that it looks really cheesy. Forget how vince whatsisface acts, look at the screenshots: drab amateurish-looking stuff.
Seems to me these rws guys are relying on sensationalism to hide the fact that their game is crappo. Nevertheless, I suppose all the textures and geometry they have shown thus far might be just "temp-art" so I'll wait till the thing is actually done and take another look at it.
But it really does seem to be a case of "What happens when childish adults can afford to license the Unreal engine?" Compare just the visuals in this game with those in, say, Unreal II. I know, visuals arent everything, you say. In fact in an fps, they are only, oh, maybe 90% of it
Gameplay is for rgps or whatever those things are called...

What I'm doing on September 11th
Sep 10, 2002, 16:08
LSD
What I'm doing on September 11th Sep 10, 2002, 16:08
Sep 10, 2002, 16:08
LSD

September 11th is my Birthday. It has been for many years before this incident, if you'll believe that. It's always been a day for celebrating my life and the good things in it.
I never watch T.V. (though I did catch the footage of plane #2 last year, when I arrived at work) so I shall avoid the schmalz tommorrow just like I always do when I don't turn on the TV.
In fact I shall do the same thing tommorrow that I did last year: Celebrate my birthday, give thanks for everything I have, and say a prayer for the souls of the departed. I might add some for our 'Fearless Leader' who seems to be preparing to plunge us into even more bloodshed.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 16:10.
46 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older